Improvment on Debating.

Deliciously_Saucy
Deliciously_Saucy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Improvment on Debating.

Hello, this is the first time I have posted on your site although I have been reading your comments for quite some time. I am a strong Atheist and have been a debater for quite some time without any formal training. While always looking to improve myself I was hoping this insightful forum could help improve my technique.

Included is an example of my work, if you could could criticise my insight and help me improve, I would apresiate it extensively...

I am Deliciously_Saucy: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,13865.0.html

Again, thank you for the time, and please excuse if this is in the wrong place~

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello and welcome to our

Hello and welcome to our forums!

If debatings your thing you can certainly find alot of practice here.

I've read some of the link you posted, well, as much as I could stand to read. Your opponent is kinda.....silly. And silly people are very hard to debate.

I don't think your 'style' of debating is incorrect, and I think your technique is fine. One thing to note is that simply debating alot of theists all the time gives you the experience egde. After a while you'll begin to come across the same 10-15 arguments over and over and you will know how to quickly and easily refute them. 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll read that later. The

I'll read that later. The thing is, though, a lot of groups of people are easy to debate, easy to beat, and hard to win against. Racists, religious people, and conspircay theorists for example. One thing you'll learn is that almost all of them that you meet will have the same questions as the one before, so you'll have to give out the same answers frequently. I was seriously thinking of keeping a copy-paste document of various counters so I didn't have to re-type them, but if some of them know each other they might catch on. So, you'll have to re-type "but evolution isn't random, and here's why..." or "Pascal's Wager is flawed because..." or "Hitler was a Catholic, and here's some proof...but even if he was atheist, that wouldn't mean all atheists are evil, or that atheism is wrong, and here's why..." Just be forewarned. It's best to either come up with or find arguments that are original and novel, and lead in with them, so they are caught off guard, and so they can't rely on their stock answers. That's if you initiate the debate, that is. If they do...it'll be a circular debate, most likely.

Actually, I decided to read it. You may wish to look up on logical fallacies, as this dude used one very early on, and then used a few others afterwards. You did point it out, but it's possible to miss one. Here's a good site for this, here's another, and here's a third which is specifically for atheists. The point is, if you point out "you used a straw man fallacy" or "you used a false dichotomy" it sounds more authoritative, and it should shame them into fixing their argument if you show them WHY it is fallacious.

Honestly, I think you did fine. It was an easy opponent, but you did fine. I'm not the best, however. I think if anyone here can educate you (and me) it would be todangst, Rook_Hawkins or Maragon, who also gives you a passing mark.

P.S. shit, Meagan seems to have said basically what I said about them using the same arguments over and over again.

P.P.S. when someone uses wikipedia as a primary source, they lose automatically. How do you know they didn't write it themselves? 

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ben sweetie, you give me

Ben sweetie, you give me far too much credit.

Rook, DeludedGod and Todd are in a league of their own.

Seriously though, you want to learn about debating? Check out any of the above guys. They're highly educated and write things that make my head spin. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:

P.P.S. when someone uses wikipedia as a primary source, they lose automatically. How do you know they didn't write it themselves? 

LOL.

Wikipedia said it. I believe it. That settles it. 

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: Ben

Maragon wrote:

Seriously though, you want to learn about debating? Check out any of the above guys. They're highly educated and write things that make my head spin. 

I totally agree. When you have someone say (rook) that 48 page thing is "short" you know they are either utterly fucktarded or really know their fucking shit.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: Ben

Maragon wrote:

OK, well you're like, Grade B. Those three are Grade A. (WHY did I forget DeludedGod? Oi! That dude's full of awesome.) You are right, though. Sorry.

wavefreak wrote:
BenfromCanada wrote:

LOL.

Wikipedia said it. I believe it. That settles it.

haha! I love Wikipedia. Sometimes it lets you get away with the most fucked up shit. A buddy replace John Cusack's picture with Adolf Hitler's. It stayed up for 3 days. I replaced the discography of christian hard rock band "mewithoutYou" with the discography of "Simon & Garfunkel", their member list with the members of "the Beatles" and their band history with the entire text of "the Origin of Species". Took them a week to fix it all.

Deliciously_Saucy
Deliciously_Saucy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't going to bump this

I wasn't going to bump this just to say thank you, but it looks like it was done for me =)

I do appreciate the feedback~

Oh and LoL @ Wiki editing, fun no..?