Non-Human Life

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
Non-Human Life

Human beings are clearly the only species on our Planet that believes in a god or any gods. Obviously, my cat doesn't believe in god.

So, my question to theists of any religion is, do you recognize the fact that your religion supports a thought that humans are the only important species on earth, and all of the other tens of millions of species are useless and not important in the eyes of your god.

the truth is that so many humans believe in god becuase we are the only ones who needed one. all the other animals on our planet can just be, but to humans that just wasn't enough. thousands of years ago, when there were no scientific facts to support anything, poeple made up gods, and a vast majority of people today still believe in these myths. to me, this is ridiculous.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So, my question to

Quote:

So, my question to theists of any religion is, do you recognize the fact that your religion supports a thought that humans are the only important species on earth, and all of the other tens of millions of species are useless and not important in the eyes of your god.

No, I'm a pantheist. 

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
that didn't come across my

that didn't come across my mind. i suppose my post only applies to monotheistic and polytheistic religions.

i still don't agree with you pineapple, but  i do respect your views.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know that humans are

I don't know that humans are the only animal to invent a god. There's no corroberating evidence to support this assertion.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, most other species

well, most other species don't really think to the extent of humans. most animals live purely on instinct. i dont think any animal is smart enough (or dumb enough, rather) to create a god.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps your cat considers

Perhaps your cat considers you a god. After all, you are considerably large, and you give it food and shelter, and comfort it (assuming you do all of those things, of course).

Regardless, I'm fairly certain that the reason that all other animals don't believe in a god is because the lack the capability to do so, not because they lack the "need" to.

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
so, in your personal

so, in your personal opinion, what happens to animals when they die?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Same thing that happens to

Same thing that happens to us: decomposition.

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
as a theist, do you not

as a theist, do you not believe in heaven or hell?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Squares and rectangles, my

Squares and rectangles, my dear.

Not all theists are Christians. I'm a rectangle.

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
yes, i understand that. i

yes, i understand that.

i don't get your shape metaphor, but i get your idea. 

i still think you're wrong. Smile

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kinda off topic, by is that

Kinda off topic, by is that the Andromeda galaxy in your avatar?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
YelloweyEyes wrote: yes, i

YelloweyEyes wrote:

yes, i understand that.

i don't get your shape metaphor, but i get your idea.

i still think you're wrong. Smile

The shape metaphor is as follows: all rectangles are four-sided polygons whose angles all measure 90 degrees. All squares are rectangles whose sides are all the same length. Thus, all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

Likewise, not all theists believe in the Christian god, or in an afterlife. 

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh, i see.

oh, i see.

YelloweyEyes
YelloweyEyes's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think its the andromeda

i think its the andromeda galaxy.

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
And not all christians

And not all christians believe in heaven or hell. At least not in any modern sense.

I believe that humanity was designed to fulfill a purpose, that purpose having to do with stewardship and safeguarding the other species of the planet, not just subsisting off of them. The christian god shows no indication of wanting to resurrect any animals or make them immortal, to my knowledge. He has and will allow or do things that decimate their populations, just as he has ours. He's still expressed concern for animals and the desire to not harm them directly(unnaturally).
There is the intent of putting things 'back in order' so that the planet as a whole can thrive better. The show is not, wasn't, and won't be all about us in my opinion. I think thats partly why the bible begins and ends without filling us in on events we feel are very important and fascinating. Its none of our business. We aren't all thats important here. We're a part of the whole.

Part of the whole end of the age deal is "destroying those who destroy the earth." That includes life forms. I would find it highly contrary if life were to suddenly be fair game after the kingdom's in full swing.

I still have the whole 'lion laying down with the lamb' thing to deal with though...

As for the future(within my belief system) and non-human life, who knows. The bible ends with humanity still somewhat in transition.

As a human, as myself, I do not need god. I've come to like him and want what he's got for me. I desire it. I would be content in a world without god.

Mike Gravel for president!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
YelloweyEyes wrote: well,

YelloweyEyes wrote:
well, most other species don't really think to the extent of humans. most animals live purely on instinct. i dont think any animal is smart enough (or dumb enough, rather) to create a god.

I don't know about that. I'd easily agree that no observed animal other than humans has religious tendancies(since that would require sophisticated communication and storing of information), but theism itself is a much much simpler concept. We have observed emotion in animals, the ability to measure and plan for time, rudimentary communication with species other than themselves, and quite a few other things. I would imagine it's a given that many other species have the capability for theistic interpretations. Just that the level to which it would affect them is mediocre at best.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.