!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

SAVAGE
Superfan
SAVAGE's picture
Posts: 112
Joined: 2006-06-24
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

When debating some theists the question arises whether they are 100% sure that there is a god. It was not my question as I know that faith can make anyone 100% sure that i am wearing red lacy g strings (ooopppps did that come out).

So here are there responses there must be a standard refutation for this isnt there:

Quote:
What would you have to have to prove this statement.

"There is no gold in China"

You would have to scour every square centimeter of the country and then go through all the dirt underneath to prove that statement.

All knowledge, as jorowi said.

But to prove it wrong, all you would need is one little itsy bitsy teeny weenie gold flake SOMEWHERE in that huge country.

You don't need all knowledge to prove it wrong, just one piece.

To say "there is NO GOD" requires ALL knowledge, which we ALL know no one has.

To believe in God requires just a 'piece' of faith no bigger than a mustard seed.

I posted................You decide Grin

Larry

Quote:
Uh, how can you absolutely know there is no God if you don't know everything about the universe? In order for you to say there is no God you would have to know everything about the universe, thus by your own statement, YOU would be God. So I ask you, are YOU absolutely sure there is not God. Personally, I like my odds better than yours. Smiley

Am I absolutely sure? Yes. My faith makes me 100% sure.

Colossians 2:2-4 "That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words."

You see, the Bible even says that the existence of God is a mystery. However, our faith and belief gives us the assurance, knowledge and wisdom to understand this mystery. Sorry, there's not a logical answer here. The Holy Spirit must reveal this to you. If you choose to ignore or not believe the physical evidence of a creator (read Romans Ch. 1:18-24) then your heart is darkened and only the Holy Spirit can reveal Himself to you.

Thank you for your respectful post and giving me the opportunity to pray for you.

A MESSAGE TO ALL THEISTS:

 

CRY ME A RIVER

 

BUILD ME A BRIDGE

 

BUT IN THE NAME OF NOTHING GET OVER IT.


Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

It's a false analogy. We're talking about China and gold - two perfectly natural things that we know for a fact do exist. This does not and cannot translate to the supernatural - something which by definition cannot exist in nature.

This also shifts the burden of proof. You are simply saying, I don't believe there is gold in China - show me some and I'll change my mind. Same goes for Gods and the supernatural. You aren't saying they cannot exist, you are simply making a statement about what you believe. The burden of proof is upon the person making the claim that something exists.

Finally, were we to dig thousands of mines in China, do a whole bunch of geological surveys and pan all the rivers for gold and NEVER find any gold, we certainly could say that there probably is no gold here. Absolute statements are not required, and in that sense the argument is also a strawman.

Put it this way, do you have to clear cut every forest in North America in order to say "Bigfoot doesn't exist"?

Do you have to actually go to Pluto to say "Unicorns don't exist on Pluto"?

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
Posts: 219
Joined: 2006-02-13
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Blah Blah Blah Ray Comfort is a vagina.


Shaitian
Shaitian's picture
Posts: 386
Joined: 2006-07-15
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

How bout we dig under china cuz technacly we would have to go to the core and we all know science has told us there is gold silver and bronze etc. down there and its just a matter of getting to it so therefore there is gold in china...

really far fetched i know but ahh what the hey.

Prejudice is often no more than a lazy person's substitute for thinking - Aunt Tomee The more we sweat for peace the less we bleed for war - Vijaya Lakshmi Pandil|


peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
Posts: 539
Joined: 2006-08-14
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Equilibrium wrote:
Blah Blah Blah Ray Comfort is a vagina.

Laughing out loud


jester700
Posts: 105
Joined: 2006-06-27
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Equilibrium wrote:
Blah Blah Blah Ray Comfort is a vagina.

I refute this assertion:
1) I would never play the cunning linguist with him.
2) "You are what you eat", and I doubt he's EVER gone down.

Eye-wink


Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

jester700 wrote:

2) "You are what you eat", and I doubt he's EVER gone down.

Eye-wink

Even you have to admit in the 99% of knowledge you don't have that Ray Comfort may have munched a carpet. Sticking out tongue

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Atheist_Scathe
Posts: 69
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

jester700 wrote:
Equilibrium wrote:
Blah Blah Blah Ray Comfort is a vagina.

I refute this assertion:
1) I would never play the cunning linguist with him.
2) "You are what you eat", and I doubt he's EVER gone down.

Eye-wink

:smt005 :smt043


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Re: !00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

theist wrote:
What would you have to have to prove this statement.

"There is no gold in China"

You would have to scour every square centimeter of the country and then go through all the dirt underneath to prove that statement.

All knowledge, as jorowi said.

But to prove it wrong, all you would need is one little itsy bitsy teeny weenie gold flake SOMEWHERE in that huge country.

You don't need all knowledge to prove it wrong, just one piece.

To say "there is NO GOD" requires ALL knowledge, which we ALL know no one has.

To believe in God requires just a 'piece' of faith no bigger than a mustard seed.


There we go folks. A finger-wagging on the pitfalls of absolute certainty from, er, a monotheist.

And for my next trick, here's a pot on the blackness of kettles...


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Didn't God perfectly form the tongue to fit inside the vagina? Laughing out loud


spentley
Posts: 64
Joined: 2006-06-29
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

MattShizzle wrote:
Didn't God perfectly form the tongue to fit inside the vagina? :lol:

That sorta goes against Carriers "Un-intelligent Design" arguement.

God musta been high or something... cuz that is quite an exceptional design initiative...

Yep, and that asshole gave gene simmons the best she could possibly do. Im starting to think god is a girl, considering the one intelligent design feature is the tounge that fits nicely into the vaginal area. lol

God is the omnimax creator by definition of major religions. If there is evidence that the religion is incorrect about the nature of reality, then there is evidence that the God the religion defines does not exist.


girlanachronism
girlanachronism's picture
Posts: 7
Joined: 2006-07-26
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

"then your heart is darkened and only the Holy Spirit can reveal Himself to you."
Still waiting for that, by the way.

My name (Kathryn) means "pure one" and it was also foretold in the definition of my name that one day I "will see God".
It must not be that one day yet.
.....

Still waiting.

The secret to eternal happines: It's not all about you.


cbenard
cbenard's picture
Posts: 81
Joined: 2006-04-16
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Equilibrium wrote:
Blah Blah Blah Ray Comfort is a vagina.

My sig says it all.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

I never even heard OF him until I heard the show on here he was on. At first I thought he was one of those "joke" Christians like Rev Oglethorpe or the landover Baptist. I didn't think his absurd arguments could POSSIBLY be serious! Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
It's a false analogy. We're talking about China and gold - two perfectly natural things that we know for a fact do exist. This does not and cannot translate to the supernatural - something which by definition cannot exist in nature.

This also shifts the burden of proof. You are simply saying, I don't believe there is gold in China - show me some and I'll change my mind. Same goes for Gods and the supernatural. You aren't saying they cannot exist, you are simply making a statement about what you believe. The burden of proof is upon the person making the claim that something exists.

Finally, were we to dig thousands of mines in China, do a whole bunch of geological surveys and pan all the rivers for gold and NEVER find any gold, we certainly could say that there probably is no gold here. Absolute statements are not required, and in that sense the argument is also a strawman.

Put it this way, do you have to clear cut every forest in North America in order to say "Bigfoot doesn't exist"?

Do you have to actually go to Pluto to say "Unicorns don't exist on Pluto"?

and ask the question..is he 100% sure there isn't a boogie man under his bed at night when he goes to bed that ass rapes him while he's dreaming of god? These analogies are bullshit. plain and simple, because using that train of logic, you can assume ANYTHING because we are not all omnipotent. It's irrational, ridiculous, and a poor attempt at justifying their faith.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

MattShizzle wrote:
Didn't God perfectly form the tongue to fit inside the vagina? :lol:

:smt043 :smt118 :smt043

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


LCQuerido
Posts: 9
Joined: 2006-07-28
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Absolute centainty involves absolute knowledge. Christians are sat in God's throne, not Atheists.

Suppose God come from the sky and says "I am here". How can we be sure he is God and not other thing, powerful but not absolute, or even Jeovah? Even if the Bible was perfect and all that Jesus legend was true, how can we be sure it was not a plot by misterious beings (being), with powers we don't even dream of, for reasons we don't understand?

But it is not all (as if it were not enough). Suppose you had a DNA test for God. Ok, now we know that this is our Bible's God. How can we be sure he is not lying about his personality? How do you know he is not evil and will reveal his real evil personality tomorrow making people regret their evil desire for a Creator? Christians would say: because he says so and so in the Bible.

And I cry. Laughing out loud

Belief is the idiot's Wisdom.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

I love what Robert Ingersoll said. You know in the Old Testament God discriminated against the handicapped? Surely if he objected to such people, he ought not have created them! Robert Ingersoll dared to write the sort of things we say 130 years ago! :shock:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


JB_Montag
JB_Montag's picture
Posts: 68
Joined: 2006-07-27
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Quote:
Uh, how can you absolutely know there is no God if you don't know everything about the universe? In order for you to say there is no God you would have to know everything about the universe, thus by your own statement, YOU would be God. So I ask you, are YOU absolutely sure there is not God. Personally, I like my odds better than yours. Smiley

Am I absolutely sure? Yes. My faith makes me 100% sure.

Colossians 2:2-4 "That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words."

You see, the Bible even says that the existence of God is a mystery. However, our faith and belief gives us the assurance, knowledge and wisdom to understand this mystery. Sorry, there's not a logical answer here. The Holy Spirit must reveal this to you. If you choose to ignore or not believe the physical evidence of a creator (read Romans Ch. 1:18-24) then your heart is darkened and only the Holy Spirit can reveal Himself to you.

Thank you for your respectful post and giving me the opportunity to pray for you.

Quote:

I'm going to start using this argument at work when I'm late.

" Jasen, you're late "
" Aliens abducted me "
" That's bullshit "
" Are you 100% sure? "

The paper read yesterday, the earth exploded, nobody noticed the passing of this hapless planet.


LCQuerido
Posts: 9
Joined: 2006-07-28
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

You would have to provide good evidence. Though no amount of evidence would be enough to prove with 100% certainty you were.

Belief is the idiot's Wisdom.


photog
photog's picture
Posts: 6
Joined: 2006-08-02
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

I am sure glad I found this web site. I can't wait until the far right get their ass kicked in the mid-terms and moderates and left wingers get back in control.

I believe in science. Imagine that.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Hey, welcome to this site!


photog
photog's picture
Posts: 6
Joined: 2006-08-02
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

Are you still ver on Secularity Matt???


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
!00% proof and a lack of Knowledge.

No, they gave me das boot about 3 months ago when they were on their banning spree. :roll: