Twenty Questions for Jewish Atheists
Hello, my name is Leor. I am new to these forums, and I am still finding my way around, so if this is the wrong forum I apologize. I have a few questions to ask the atheists who post here who are of Jewish descent. I am not trying to be mekarev anyone, merely asking polite (if pointed) questions about your backgrounds. To make it fair, I will answer as many of the questions as I can as well. (Some of them apply to anyone of Jewish background, others are tailored for atheists.) There will also be a bonus question at the end for non-Jewish atheists.
1) What is your name? (First only, Hebrew if you know it.)
2) How old are you? (I find that Jews of different generations are more or less likely to be practicing Jews or atheists.)
3) Growing up did your parents belong to a synagogue/temple?
4) Did your parents do anything special for the Sabbath, such as lighting candles Friday afternoon, or making kiddush Friday night and/or Saturday morning?
5) Did your family keep a kosher home?
6) How do your families react when you tell them you don't believe in god?
7) Are you married? Do you have children?
Have you ever visited Israel?
9) Did you have a bar/bat mitzvah?
10) Growing up did your parents send you to either a Jewish day school or an afternoon Hebrew school?
11) Are you a Kohein (descendant of the familiy of Aaron) or a Levi (Levite)?
12) Was the Holocaust a reason for your atheism?
13) Have you ever been the victim of anti-Semitic harassment? If so what happened? How did it make you feel?
14) How would you react if a close relative became a Ba'al Teshuvah (became newly religiously observant)?
15) If one of your parents asked you to recite Kaddish after they died, would you?
16) If you were invited to a close relative's or friend's wedding, and it was held in a synagogue/temple would you attend? What if you were asked to participate in the wedding ceremony?
17) Can you read or write Hebrew? If yes, how proficient are you?
18) Can you speak Hebrew? If yes, how fluent are you?
19) Have you ever read or studied Jewish religious texts, such as the Shulkhan Arukh, Gemara, or Midrash? What was your impression?
20) If an observant Jew invited you to his/her home for a Sabbath dinner, would you accept the invitation?
Bonus Question, for non-Jewish Atheists: Have you ever heard of the 7 commandments? Can you list all seven?
Twenty Questions for Jewish Atheists: