10 Commandments Question

DrStrangelove
DrStrangelove's picture
User is offlineOffline
10 Commandments Question

Aside from the fact that these are found/prescribed in the Bible (OT) and therefore are inherently part of religious collateral, is there anyone here that doesn't feel that they're not a bad set of guidelines to live by?
I'm not asking whether or not you need the bible (or the listed commandments) to determine what's right or wrong (correct or incorrect)... I'm simply asking, you know, on face value-- any problem with them aside from their connection to eternal salvation/staying in God's good graces?

Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual character

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Here: http://www.ffrf.org/no

Here:

http://www.ffrf.org/nontracts/10comm.php

The first 4 have absolutely nothing to do with actual morality and are purely religious. Honoring ones parents is good, as long as they deserve honor (no exceptions made for abusive, neglectful, etc.) Not murdering, stealing or lying is almost always a good idea (stealing for survivla or lying to protect someone is often justified.) Adultery is usually a bad idea, too. And who cares whether someone covets or not?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
of course there's nothing

of course there's nothing wrong with 5-10, that i can think of, because these are essentially written law or socially accepted codes of conduct.

but if you consider that the biblical punishment for breaking any of these rules is death, the only one where "the punishment fits the crime" is #6, and that's only if you're a supporter of capital punishment.

it goes without saying (but, gee, i'll say it anyway) that 1-4 are ridiculous nonsense. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

DrStrangelove
DrStrangelove's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I should have included

Yeah, I should have included "aside from the god rules/laws."  Good stuff, though.  Thanks.
I don't CARE whether anyone covets or not-- and I suspect that most of us DO, however, I think it's probably more psychologically healthy if you do not.  So in my opinion-- still a good suggestion.

Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual character

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
and on second thought,

and on second thought, mattshizzle is absolutely right, the coveting thing is silly.

DrStrangelove
DrStrangelove's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the record:  If pushed

For the record:  If pushed to give an answer one way or the other-- I'm against capital punishment.  But I'm all for corporal punishment. Eye-wink

DrStrangelove
DrStrangelove's picture
User is offlineOffline
Silly, perhaps, but I still

Silly, perhaps, but I still contend psychologically not very healthy.  Although we could go on to list dozens of other suggestions that are not psychologically healthy either I suppose.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Is it really? Without

Is it really? Without coveting maybe people'd have no drive to do any work except the minimum to survive. And of course the economy would most likely collapse if people didn't covet.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Is it

MattShizzle wrote:
Is it really? Without coveting maybe people'd have no drive to do any work except the minimum to survive. And of course the economy would most likely collapse if people didn't covet.
Depends on what is coveted, and how. If I say "I want A Rolls Royce", that's coveting and that's OK. If I say "I want  YOUR Rolls Royce" as in "I want that colour, year, etc." that's OK. But if I actually want YOUR Rolls Royce...then that's the first step towards stealing it. I can see discouraging that type of coveting. 

DrStrangelove
DrStrangelove's picture
User is offlineOffline
You've made good points. 

You've made good points.  But you're taking this one to the absurd a bit, aren't you?  I mean... I get what you're saying to a degree.
But I think we can all agree walking around in a semi-jealous state of mind over other's things wishing that you had them (or the same) is not a healthy state of mind.
Seeing something and thinking "wow, if I work hard (or do this or that) perhaps I'll be able to have the same" is a whole different ball game.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anyway, like it said in the

Anyway, like it said in the link, almost anyone could come up with a better set of 10 commandments by leaving out the religious bullshit and including things like forbidding rape, incest and slavery. Actually the Wiccans have a much better 1 sentence than the 10 commandments: "Do what thou wilst, lest it harm none."

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians choose witch

Christians choose witch parts they want to believe.