Respect for the Cosmos

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
Respect for the Cosmos

First, let me write that I'm not a Christian nor do I consider myself in any sense, religious.  I've spent the obligatory time 'paying my dues' by studying the worlds religions, philosophies and ideas.  In this, I've come to ideas I accept about the universe and it's function in my life.  I believe in "GOD." But the point I'd like to make here is something that undoubtedly has been brought up before on these forums by i've not noticed it as I'm new....that point is the etymology and semantics of the word God.   

If you look up "Atheism" in any encylopedia or dictionary, you'll find it covers a lot of territory and history as a word and an idea.  

My question to Atheists is this:

As an Atheist, you're said to not believe in God: Which God is that? Do you have a means to define the word "GOD?"  Or do you only reject the idea of God in the Western sense of the word...a father-like figure of the Jesus-type?  Or as Atheists do you reject ANY definition of the word God?   What do you call the ENERGY that makes the world go? The grass grow and the general ebb and flow of the universe? This is my personal definition of God. So, in this, I'm not an Atheist.  It's perhaps a cosmological view of the universe but still I accept the word God to encompass MANY meanings and depths. 

In the end, that Energy is everywhere and responsible for everything...it's a chaotic energy that ebbs and flows but it's there in our world...And I respect it.  I don't worship it...But I don't dismiss it or pretend it doesn't exist arrogantly...Does this make sense? 

The idea of Atheism is not compatible with respect for this energy( I call GOD) of the universe? Is it really that arrogant? 

Thank you,

Ryan 

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
Sir Valiant for Truth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is usually defined

Atheism is usually defined as being naturalism, or the belief that all that is is physical, but I have heard professionals go so far as to define it under a weak agnosticism.

What you are, my friend, is not atheist or theist, but a pantheist, or everything is part of "God" and God is either everything or in everything.

"Truth is the cry of all, but the game of the few." George Berkeley
"Truth is always strange — stranger than fiction." Lord Byron

Fixing the world, one dumb idea at a time.

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
Thank you...I knew there was

Thank you...I knew there was a name for my way of thinking...It's frustrating sometimes too because most of the terms are oversimplified in general conversation and if you go to wikipedia and enter Atheist...you'll find all different sorts of Atheism. It's the same for Democracy...There are tons of variations, mutations and synergisms with other forms of government...

Interestingly enough, I've never known the term pantheism and didn't really care but it's easy for me to tell people now I guess...

But still my question about respect has not been answered...What is the atheist response for respect? Isn't it a bit disrespectful to dismiss the very energy we come from as having no meaning whatsoever? Afterall, you were born out of the energy and exist because of the energy(or nature or god whatever you want to call it)...It is because of this I feel in atheism there is certain lack of respect happening...but then again, I could be oversimplifying the Atheist perspective.

Ryan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You are assuming there is

You are assuming there is some sort of "energy." Nature is just nature, nothing supernatural. No need to have "respect" or worship it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
I specifically wrote in my

I specifically wrote in my previous post that I don't worship the energy...I *Respect* it and acknowledge that it's more powerful than I am.  How can you deny that there is a energy to nature, the world, the universe? It's the energy of space and the planets and the cosmos...It's what makes the Earth revolve around the sun...the grass grow...new life created...you deny this energy?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's not one energy, it's

It's not one energy, it's several different forms. So what?

Cellar Atheist
Cellar Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would suggest you take a

I would suggest you take a look at Taoism from a philosophical perspective if youre having a hard time defining your beliefs.  Taoists believe in the Tao, or 'Way'.  Its a very naturalistic view of existence, based a lot on polar opposites that exist in our universe, light/dark, good/evil, fast/slow, etc.  It made a lot of sense to me in my post-Christian days.  Tao Te Ching is a very quick read, though it can be a bit non-sensical with its 'action through non-action' mentality.

The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
I's thinking about the

I's thinking about the Pantheist title and just as I imagined...there is a reason I've never really known the word--it's a label.  I've come to this point in my life as a result of all my experiences, I left labels a long time ago...in college.  It was, however, interesting to know there is a 'religion' or at least a  term that describes, for the most part, the way I see the world...pantheism captures about 90% of what I see the universe to be...the other 10% is a mixture of Tao and Zen Buddhism...

Interesting..

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who gave kansaiyaccha the

Who gave kansaiyaccha the theist title? Pantheism is anything but a form of classical theism. The cornerstone of pantheism is naturalism. Men whom we hold in highest esteem like Dr. Carl Sagan are (or in his case, was) pantheist. I myself lean towards it. When someone asked me what I thought God was, the first thing I replied was "a metaphor for the universe".

I'll talk to the mods about taking the label off. Sorry dude. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
Thanks man. I've never

Thanks man. I've never really explored labels for all the different ideaologies and religions of the world...I never realized Carl Sagan and Einstein and others were "Pantheists."  It's an interesting label that I don't mind using.  It's easier now for me to explain myself to people.

R

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
kansaiyaccha wrote: But

kansaiyaccha wrote:
But still my question about respect has not been answered...What is the atheist response for respect? Isn't it a bit disrespectful to dismiss the very energy we come from as having no meaning whatsoever? Afterall, you were born out of the energy and exist because of the energy(or nature or god whatever you want to call it)...It is because of this I feel in atheism there is certain lack of respect happening...but then again, I could be oversimplifying the Atheist perspective

I'll address this, because it seems like no one else has. Atheism is the lack of theism, and since your religion as you've stated is not theism, then we have no issue with it. I'd only take issue with the use of the word 'god'.

To me, the term 'god' is entirely inappropriate to grant to energy, because the term carries so much of the traditional baggage that theism has attached to it. It seems very much like running around with this nametag labelled "Hi, my name is GOD ", and slapping it on the first thing you can. At some point, you have to throw out ideas that are old, outdated, and wrong, and come up with new ones that make better sense and will avoid confusion.

For an example of why reusing the word 'god' is confusing, just look at your original post. You define 'god' in a fairly unusual way, and then assume that since atheists don't believe in 'god', they must not believe in the thing which you have defined god to be: energy. Clearly, this is not the case. Furthermore, you seem to be borrowing the idea from theism that 'god' demands respect, which makes no sense if god is just energy. God can only demand respect if it is intelligent. There's no evidence that energy is even capable of caring about anything; It just follows rules. So I don't see why it matters if energy has anyones respect.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kansai',  As far as I can

Kansai',

As far as I can see you don't believe in a supernatural God, we have something in common then. What atheists don't believe in is the supernatural God. A theistic God equates at least in my mind to the supernatural God. Now you are not the first person to do so, but all you are doing is naming something big and mind-blowing by the name God. I do not deny the existence of the universe or any of the energy within it. I am using energy right now, kinetic energy, thermal energy, electrical energy etc etc, but I have no reason to believe it to be a conscious being. You may also call it a life force, but then what exactly constitutes life? It is certainly not biological life, but is biological life all the life there actually is? Is not robotic life possible? It may work in some kind of system, as biological life does, but then society also works similar to an organism, is a society one life in itself? Even then if we can call cosmic energy life, is it conscious life? Surely to call it God you would have to assign some consciousness to it, but if you were to do such, would it not just be through the feebleness of your human mind that you do so, we are known to adopt an intentional stance towards everything, it's wired into our brains through evolution. There are many biological species that count as 'life' but are not conscious. All this is something that needs working through, I may think about this some more, this tangent has actually been a thought avenue I haven't come down yet.

But anyway... I don't have as many quarms with your belief system as I do with actual religious belief.   

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
Etymology and the limits of language

Rex: 

Thank you for responding: I was starting to worry that I'd still not come any closer to understanding the Atheist perspective.

The problem as I see it is language(which I mentioned in the first few posts) and the commonly held definition of GOD.  I never believed any the common definition of GOD as Judeo-Christian religions describe and because of this I considered myself an Atheist for a long time...But I later found that I don't have much cognitive dissonance in using the term GOD...regardless of the predictable confusion it might cause and it's inherent 'baggage' as you describe.   I've always enjoyed the having to explain how assumptions and language affect us to people who think since i say i believe in GOD, I'm a Christian. Smiling  Oh, how wrong they are! I'll admit I don't really like the word because of it's ambiguousness and inherent bias...But to clarify...

My working concept of "god" is that it is a general term that I use to decribe the non-intelligent, non-conscious random and chaotic energy, power, life force of the universe from which I was born.  

So my point is, an atheist rejects the idea of a *conscious, intelligent designer* often called GOD but they don't reject my above concept.  

So, how can anyone NOT have a respect for the power and impressiveness of the universe? How can anyone not respect that from which you came?  Notice that I write respect because that is all it is...an acknowledging and respecting...It seems arrogant to completely disregard this "Ki of the universe" no?  

kansaiyaccha
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Now you are not the first person to do so, but all you are doing is naming something big and mind-blowing by the name God. I do not deny the existence of the universe or any of the energy within it. I am using energy right now, kinetic energy, thermal energy, electrical energy etc etc, but I have no reason to believe it to be a conscious being. You may also call it a life force, but then what exactly constitutes life?

Yes. I'm recognizing the biggness of the universe and it's energy system as "GOD."  What I'm not doing is believing this is a conscious being nor intelligent. In fact, it's chaotic and non-conscious.  

As far as 'what constitutes life?'   That is easy: Energy makes life. Rocks have energy. A flower has energy and a person has energy. Even an atom has energy inside it though we can see that small yet....

Thanks for the discussion...

I see you're interested in Japan...Do you speak Japanese?

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
kansaiyaccha wrote: I've

kansaiyaccha wrote:
I've always enjoyed the having to explain how assumptions and language affect us to people who think since i say i believe in GOD, I'm a Christian. Smiling Oh, how wrong they are! I'll admit I don't really like the word because of it's ambiguousness and inherent bias...But to clarify...

I can understand using the term to provoke discussion.

kansaiyaccha wrote:
My working concept of "god" is that it is a general term that I use to decribe the non-intelligent, non-conscious random and chaotic energy, power, life force of the universe from which I was born.

I wouldn't really dispute much of that, except the terms 'god' and 'life force', and only because they are easily misunderstood. I think we basically have similar beliefs.

kansaiyaccha wrote:
So, how can anyone NOT have a respect for the power and impressiveness of the universe? How can anyone not respect that from which you came?  Notice that I write respect because that is all it is...an acknowledging and respecting...It seems arrogant to completely disregard this "Ki of the universe" no?

I just don't use that word for it. I acknowledge energy as a fundmental part of the natural world. But I don't think we are disagreeing, just expressing things differently.

kansaiyaccha wrote:
I see you're interested in Japan...Do you speak Japanese?

I know this was directed at Jacob Cordingley, but I thought I'd mention that I have studied Japanese. To say that I speak it would be an exaggeration, but I understand some of it and speak a little of it.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.