How do atheists propose filling in the gap

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
How do atheists propose filling in the gap

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070503/LOCAL18/705030475/-1/ZONES04

Rather than focusing on removing that which atheists disagree with, why not focus on finding ways to "minister" (in a humanistic way) to the community? How about creating programs to promote morality in the workplace? How about working in cooporation with others who share your desire to make society better, even tho you may not agree with them on the subject of God?

Shouldn't our government be concerned with supporting and promoting the morality of its citizens, given that, societies with rampant immorality, in the long run, are incapable of sustaining themselves? Is not one of government's fundamental responsibilities to promote order in a non-obtrusive way so that you and I are free to live productive lives? Shouldn't government institutions be allowed at least some flexibility in determining how to do just that?

Given the situation we find ourselves in, where our society's moral decay is becoming more and more evident, how do YOU propose promoting sound moral behaviors? In my opinion, simply suing those with whom you disagree does not get to the heart of the matter. It just leeches funding from programs designed to help people, so you are in effect, inhibiting their ability to serve their community.

Which brings me to my last question. Ultimately, is your goal to help others, or are you simply trying to make a point. If your goal IS to help others, how is suing going to help anyone???

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Magilum, I

magilum wrote:

Magilum, I haven't called you out on it, but I have noticed every post of yours is a downer...

It's called confirmation bias.

How about saying something positive sometime, just to surprise me.

I'm grateful your corn pone ass is in the fly over states.

Another delightful post from Magilum.  Good morning to you too and have a nice day...

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: sugarfree

Gauche wrote:
sugarfree wrote:
triften wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Would you rather criminals pray to Jesus, or go out and commit crimes again? Just something to think about.

False Dichotomy. Penalty, 5 yards, first down.

Praying to Jesus does not prevent people from committing crimes. I would argue that it, in fact, enables them to not improve, especially when they are told and accept that they are a lowly worthless sinner and it's only by the grace of god that anything good happens to them.

There's a known phenomenon wherein if you tell someone they are something (for example, a thief) over and over again, they start to believe it. If someone is told over and over again that they are a hopeless wretch, they'll likely start to act like one.

-Triften

Triften, I think you are dead wrong on this. Prison ministries are effective. Some really nasty criminals have been turned around after being introduced to Jesus. I'm thinking of two in particular, but can't remember their names. One was a mass murderer in new york or something, several decades ago. And I heard the Dahmer guy had never even looked inside a Bible until he was in prison...and he said something to the effect of "I never knew about any of this." Perhaps if he had, he might have eaten less people...

Just mentioning two criminal that heard about the bible in prison and happened not to murder anyone afterward is anecdotal. At least show some statistics or a link to a peer-reviewed article that supports this claim. Just by doing a quick search I found that the recidivism rate seems to be lower in more secular nations, and the more secular the country is the lower it seems to be. The US is about 60%, while UK is 50, and Japan is 45. I’m not saying that means you are wrong; you may be correct but for all you know prison ministries could raise the recidivism rate.

I googled to try to refresh my memory of the new york guy. It is the son of sam. He is a Christian now. See his website: http://www.forgivenforlife.com/

I do not have stats to give you. I have only stories like the above (that one being the most dramatic) of people who were living immoral lives, came to know Jesus, and made dramatic 180s as far as their moral behavior. As well, I know people personally, who are now good respectable people, but were once into questionable behaviors. They accepted Jesus and have been improving ever since. I do not think this is a delusion, or that they are caught up in some fairy tale. If you take someone like the son of sam whose mind was totally messed up...I think he was so far gone that he could not have simply "cured himself" by deciding to believe in some fairy tale. Christ's message is a living and breathing one, that comes with the benefit of Christ himself...and he is able to pull us out of our dark spaces when we have lost the ability to pull ourselves out.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Sugarfree,

Susan wrote:

Sugarfree, what you posted was this:

sugarfree wrote:
"Partnering: Forming a mutually beneficial relationship by fostering honesty and providing quality results.

Associate Success: Provide an environment that encourages open communication, empowerment, empathy for fellow associates, continuous improvement, mentoring, training, and recognition.

Shared Values: Implement shared values in every aspect of our business and communications with customers and associates.

Do What is Right....Always"

Again, I ask you, how is it you propose to reward and praise employees for moral behavior?

Where's that newsletter saying that John didn't steal any office supplies today and that Jane showed up on time?

I also don't see anything about giving employees the "tools" for a happy home life.

This is simply "do your job, do your job well, improve your job skills and treat the customer well."

Susan, I'm not sure why you are stuck on this issue. Is it a sore spot for you and if so why? If I know why, perhaps I could address it better.

I think you misunderstood me in the beginning. I am talking about the higher up laying the foundation for the moral tone. That is different than your newsletter example.

Let me offer this, tho. I am a contractor, thus have worked for several different companies at different locations over the past 6 years. I have had exposure to other contracting companies as well. There are good contracting companies and bad. The bad are the ones that treat their employees like cattle, or simpy as a means to an end. Those employees generally aren't as happy in their workplace. Unhappiness in the workplace can and often translates to less happiness in all aspects of ones life. People don't like to feel used, disrespected, etc. On the other hand, some companies, especially the one I am working for now recognizes that they do not own me, that I have a life outside of work, that work is not the top priority, etc. They also have made it clear that they respect honesty and integrity. That makes such a big difference! Because, I know, if the company I'm contracted to do work for asks me to do something I disagree with, or asks me to work ungodly hours, I can go to my boss and say, this is what they are trying to pull, and she will support me. Just last week she told me not to go into a meeting with one particular gentleman because he bites people's heads off. In other words, she is on the lookout for me, she cares about my emotional health...I'm not just a body to make money for her.

Also, I have had the opportunity to work for a company that is recognized nationally for being one of the best places to work in the country. The reason is because they view their employees comprehensively, they offer them child care assistance, an entire week off at X-mas, plenty of time off to take care of personal issues, etc. That kind of work environment makes people happy, and that happiness allows them to better enjoy all aspects of their lives.

Last thing, where I work now, it does not matter if you do good work. My team recently got our work stolen from us because of someone's dishonest behavior. The people that got our work had never released a successful piece of software...actually their project failed which is why they went sniffing at ours. My team, on the other hand, has years of success under it's belt. This kind of stuff happens all the time there and we have just learned to shake our heads. Luckily we continue to do good work just because we want to, but we realize, in the end, it is not going to mean anything to the higher ups. What I'm saying is...the liars should not be rewarded in favor of the people who are doing honest good work, and it is up to management to make sure that type of thing does not happen.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Susan

sugarfree wrote:
Susan wrote:

Sugarfree, what you posted was this:

sugarfree wrote:
"Partnering: Forming a mutually beneficial relationship by fostering honesty and providing quality results.

Associate Success: Provide an environment that encourages open communication, empowerment, empathy for fellow associates, continuous improvement, mentoring, training, and recognition.

Shared Values: Implement shared values in every aspect of our business and communications with customers and associates.

Do What is Right....Always"

Again, I ask you, how is it you propose to reward and praise employees for moral behavior?

Where's that newsletter saying that John didn't steal any office supplies today and that Jane showed up on time?

I also don't see anything about giving employees the "tools" for a happy home life.

This is simply "do your job, do your job well, improve your job skills and treat the customer well."

Susan, I'm not sure why you are stuck on this issue. Is it a sore spot for you and if so why? If I know why, perhaps I could address it better.

I think you misunderstood me in the beginning. I am talking about the higher up laying the foundation for the moral tone. That is different than your newsletter example.

Let me offer this, tho. I am a contractor, thus have worked for several different companies at different locations over the past 6 years. I have had exposure to other contracting companies as well. There are good contracting companies and bad. The bad are the ones that treat their employees like cattle, or simpy as a means to an end. Those employees generally aren't as happy in their workplace. Unhappiness in the workplace can and often translates to less happiness in all aspects of ones life. People don't like to feel used, disrespected, etc. On the other hand, some companies, especially the one I am working for now recognizes that they do not own me, that I have a life outside of work, that work is not the top priority, etc. They also have made it clear that they respect honesty and integrity. That makes such a big difference! Because, I know, if the company I'm contracted to do work for asks me to do something I disagree with, or asks me to work ungodly hours, I can go to my boss and say, this is what they are trying to pull, and she will support me. Just last week she told me not to go into a meeting with one particular gentleman because he bites people's heads off. In other words, she is on the lookout for me, she cares about my emotional health...I'm not just a body to make money for her.

Also, I have had the opportunity to work for a company that is recognized nationally for being one of the best places to work in the country. The reason is because they view their employees comprehensively, they offer them child care assistance, an entire week off at X-mas, plenty of time off to take care of personal issues, etc. That kind of work environment makes people happy, and that happiness allows them to better enjoy all aspects of their lives.

Last thing, where I work now, it does not matter if you do good work. My team recently got our work stolen from us because of someone's dishonest behavior. The people that got our work had never released a successful piece of software...actually their project failed which is why they went sniffing at ours. My team, on the other hand, has years of success under it's belt. This kind of stuff happens all the time there and we have just learned to shake our heads. Luckily we continue to do good work just because we want to, but we realize, in the end, it is not going to mean anything to the higher ups. What I'm saying is...the liars should not be rewarded in favor of the people who are doing honest good work, and it is up to management to make sure that type of thing does not happen.

Sugarfree - what you first wrote is called a Mission Statement and pretty much every single company has one.  Almost every restaurant I worked in when I was in school had that Mission Statement plastered on the wall in the kitchen.  There is one somewhere in the office I am in right now. 

Secondly, I'm not even entirely sure what you're getting at with your examples about your work now.  What does the Mission Statement have to do with people stealing your work?  And what does any of this have to do with the original topic at hand?

jce is right, this thread is getting too confusing.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Sugarfree

pariahjane wrote:
Sugarfree - what you first wrote is called a Mission Statement and pretty much every single company has one.  Almost every restaurant I worked in when I was in school had that Mission Statement plastered on the wall in the kitchen.  There is one somewhere in the office I am in right now.
Not true for all the contracting companies I have worked for.
pariahjane wrote:
Secondly, I'm not even entirely sure what you're getting at with your examples about your work now.  What does the Mission Statement have to do with people stealing your work?
I'm just trying to respond to Susan's comments. I do not know why she is inquiring this, which, you will see, I asked her. I am not particularly passionate about this subject, nor do I think it is controversial, so I don't necessarily want to debate it, but perhaps for Susan it is controversial, and if she wants to explain why it is for her, I will listen.

As far as the stealing the work thing...the work was stolen by another contracting company whose standards are apparantly not as high as I would like them to be... I could go into loads of detail, but it is just a bunch of political crap which I deal with every day, and if we did not have to deal with it, and if people were committed to being honest and cooperative, a lot more work would get done around at my workplace, and a lot less money would be wasted...

pariahjane wrote:
And what does any of this have to do with the original topic at hand?
Nothing.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
So your company will be

So your company will be sueing them right?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I googled

sugarfree wrote:

I googled to try to refresh my memory of the new york guy. It is the son of sam. He is a Christian now. See his website: http://www.forgivenforlife.com/

I do not have stats to give you. I have only stories like the above (that one being the most dramatic) of people who were living immoral lives, came to know Jesus, and made dramatic 180s as far as their moral behavior. As well, I know people personally, who are now good respectable people, but were once into questionable behaviors. They accepted Jesus and have been improving ever since. I do not think this is a delusion, or that they are caught up in some fairy tale. If you take someone like the son of sam whose mind was totally messed up...I think he was so far gone that he could not have simply "cured himself" by deciding to believe in some fairy tale. Christ's message is a living and breathing one, that comes with the benefit of Christ himself...and he is able to pull us out of our dark spaces when we have lost the ability to pull ourselves out.

And I know good respectable people who never needed Jesus to be good and respectable.  And those people also didn't feel the need to have sex with and eat little boys, so I'm not sure why you think someone who did is better just because they suddenly 'found Jesus'.  I don't see how finding Jesus makes him or the Son of Sam any better.  So what you're saying is that now Dahmer is in heaven since he's accepted Jesus into his life.  What about his victims?  Too bad for them?  Or, maybe they're in heaven and now they can hang out with Dahmer. 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: So your

stillmatic wrote:
So your company will be sueing them right?

No, the contract was not robust enough to protect against it.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: And I

pariahjane wrote:
And I know good respectable people who never needed Jesus to be good and respectable.  And those people also didn't feel the need to have sex with and eat little boys, so I'm not sure why you think someone who did is better just because they suddenly 'found Jesus'.  I don't see how finding Jesus makes him or the Son of Sam any better.  So what you're saying is that now Dahmer is in heaven since he's accepted Jesus into his life.  What about his victims?  Too bad for them?  Or, maybe they're in heaven and now they can hang out with Dahmer. 

Yes, Dahmer could be in heaven...that is not for me to decide. Did you look at the link I provided? Jesus is what turned the Son of Sam around. He was quite possibly demon possessed before and now he is a changed man who does not even think he deserves to be paroled because he thinks he deserves life in prison. Do you not see that as an improvement? I do not know about Dahmer's victims. We each have our own spiritual journey. It is internal, and God is the ultimate judge of it.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I googled

sugarfree wrote:

I do not have stats to give you. I have only stories like the above (that one being the most dramatic) of people who were living immoral lives, came to know Jesus, and made dramatic 180s as far as their moral behavior. As well, I know people personally, who are now good respectable people, but were once into questionable behaviors.

Your personal experience may not be representative of the majority is the point. Your sample consists of one person that you’ve named, and other nameless people that might not even exist. What if I said that I knew someone who stole all their life and they never got caught, and they were happier because they had lots of things that they would not have had had they not spent their life stealing? Just because that happened in one case that doesn’t mean that it’s normal.

David Berkowitz got a life sentence; he didn’t have a chance to murder more people. It would be more helpful to your case to point to people that were incarcerated, then were ministered to, then were released and didn’t commit more crimes.

Quote:
They accepted Jesus and have been improving ever since. I do not think this is a delusion, or that they are caught up in some fairy tale. If you take someone like the son of sam whose mind was totally messed up...I think he was so far gone that he could not have simply "cured himself" by deciding to believe in some fairy tale. Christ's message is a living and breathing one, that comes with the benefit of Christ himself...and he is able to pull us out of our dark spaces when we have lost the ability to pull ourselves out.

Christianity being delusional or not has nothing to do with this. If Christianity was true and it didn’t lower crime that wouldn’t make it less true, and if it does lower the crime rate that wouldn’t confirm that it is true.

You didn’t address my point either. Japan has a lower recidivism rate and only 3-6% of people there are christians. If prison ministries work so well why are recidivism rates higher in places with more christians?

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Yes,

sugarfree wrote:
Yes, Dahmer could be in heaven...that is not for me to decide.

And his victims? Are they in hell? Remember, most of them were gay, and were never allowed a grace period to learn about jesus and "repent".

sugarfree wrote:
Jesus is what turned the Son of Sam around. He was quite possibly demon possessed before and now he is a changed man who does not even think he deserves to be paroled because he thinks he deserves life in prison. Do you not see that as an improvement?

Then of course there was Charles Manson, whose christian beliefs partially inspired his racist views and murderous rampage (the other main inspiration being the hate-filled lyrics of the Beatles). We also have catholic priests who preach jesus all the time, then molest the altar boys. Or Ted Haggard, equally steeped in jesus, who takes to blowing meth and getting blown by ... well, google it.

Clearly, belief in jesus is intrinsic to moral uprightness (literally).

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Yes, Dahmer could be in heaven...that is not for me to decide.

And his victims? Are they in hell? Remember, most of them were gay, and were never allowed a grace period to learn about jesus and "repent".

sugarfree wrote:
Jesus is what turned the Son of Sam around. He was quite possibly demon possessed before and now he is a changed man who does not even think he deserves to be paroled because he thinks he deserves life in prison. Do you not see that as an improvement?

Then of course there was Charles Manson, whose christian beliefs partially inspired his racist views and murderous rampage (the other main inspiration being the hate-filled lyrics of the Beatles). We also have catholic priests who preach jesus all the time, then molest the altar boys. Or Ted Haggard, equally steeped in jesus, who takes to blowing meth and getting blown by ... well, google it.

Clearly, belief in jesus is intrinsic to moral uprightness (literally).

If you do no wish to follow Jesus, you will have not shortage of people to point at to justify your reasoning not to believe. You at the same time, however, would be ignoring all those whose lives are transformed. I choose to believe that the people whose lives were transformed by Jesus are the one's who are seeing him clearly, and I aspire to see him clearly as well, because of the obvious benefits.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
Yes, Dahmer could be in heaven...that is not for me to decide. Did you look at the link I provided? Jesus is what turned the Son of Sam around. He was quite possibly demon possessed before and now he is a changed man who does not even think he deserves to be paroled because he thinks he deserves life in prison. Do you not see that as an improvement? I do not know about Dahmer's victims. We each have our own spiritual journey. It is internal, and God is the ultimate judge of it.

I would venture to say that life in prison will be a small price to pay when Jesus has given him eternal heaven for murdering all those people. 

Sugarfree - This is very off-topic of the original thread (among other things).  This thread is becoming too big to carry on like this.  Please consider making a new thread.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
If you do no wish to follow Jesus, you will have not shortage of people to point at to justify your reasoning not to believe. You at the same time, however, would be ignoring all those whose lives are transformed. I choose to believe that the people whose lives were transformed by Jesus are the one's who are seeing him clearly, and I aspire to see him clearly as well, because of the obvious benefits.

So when people believe in jesus and turn their lives around (like Dahmer or Berkowit), it's an obvious and indisputable sign that jesus has transformed their lives, because the were seeing him cleary. And when people believe in jesus and commit murders, molest children or visit male prostitutes for sex & drugs, it's an obvious and indisputable sign that there weren't seeing jesus clearly.

Looks like cherry-picking season came early this year.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

magilum
User is offlineOffline
If you do no wish to follow

If you do no wish to follow Jesus, you will have not shortage of people to point at to justify your reasoning not to believe. You at the same time, however, would be ignoring all those whose lives are transformed. I choose to believe that the people whose lives were transformed by Jesus are the one's who are seeing him clearly [...]

Which returns you to your old stand by, special pleading. If you can recall, this was the argument you made for why Christianity is the one true religion (in spite of your profound ignorance of the other major religions).

Incidentally, David Berkowitz ultimately admitted his original story (about his neighbor's dog being a demon that issued him orders) was complete and utter bullshit he made up. He said he killed because it excited him sexually. Like many serial killers, he would return to the scenes of his crimes, and in his case he would jerk off at them and relive the memory. Maybe you'll meet him and Dahmer, and all the other monsters that have made death row conversions. You can look into their eyes and realize how shoddy the Christian idea of morality becomes if there's no distinction between doing good every day and just fearfully converting before you die.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

So when people believe in jesus and turn their lives around (like Dahmer or Berkowit), it's an obvious and indisputable sign that jesus has transformed their lives, because the were seeing him cleary. And when people believe in jesus and commit murders, molest children or visit male prostitutes for sex & drugs, it's an obvious and indisputable sign that there weren't seeing jesus clearly.

Looks like cherry-picking season came early this year.

Jesus himself said "not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord" will be saved. Even the devil is able to twist Jesus words to confuse. Spiritual warfare is being waged...this world is a mine field. Jesus can guide us thru safetly. How do you determine whether somebody is truly being guided by Jesus?: by their "fruits", i.e., the content of their character. (Manson produced bad fruits.) Jesus said, "If you love me, you will follow my commands." His greatest command includes "love others". Cold blooded murder is not an example of following this command.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I would venture to say that life in prison will be a small price to pay when Jesus has given him eternal heaven for murdering all those people. 

Sugarfree - This is very off-topic of the original thread (among other things).  This thread is becoming too big to carry on like this.  Please consider making a new thread.

I don't feel like opening up another can of worms. I was thinking this thread was on it's last leg anyway...

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Maybe

magilum wrote:
Maybe you'll meet him and Dahmer, and all the other monsters that have made death row conversions.
If God deems they offered a sincere confession, then I just might.
magilum wrote:
You can look into their eyes and realize how shoddy the Christian idea of morality becomes if there's no distinction between doing good every day and just fearfully converting before you die.

I don't believe a fearful conversion would be considered a sincere one. (BTW: And what is shoddy about offering people forgiveness?) If a person's intent is to live their life the way they want it and then convert in their later years...I doubt God's going to let them get away with that. He knows our motives. It is quite possible that, if God accepts their repentance that they offer in later life, their heavenly rewards will still be limited due to their behaviors early on. God forgives, but he is still holds us accountable. But, I am not the ultimate judge, so it is not for me to decide anyone's fate.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I don't believe a fearful

I don't believe a fearful conversion would be considered a sincere one.

Pure speculation in proxy for your silent authority figure.

(BTW: And what is shoddy about offering people forgiveness?)

Forgiveness necessarily follows a transgression. If any transgression can be forgiven, there's no impetus to do good in the first place. You say it's for your magic authority figure to decide whether an apology is sincere. A death row inmate of eight years sits crying while a cleric says “There there.” He says he's sorry to the family sitting in the witness box as they brace themselves for the bittersweet horrors to come, knowing it won't bring back their loved one. A guy who's ended the futures of others is confronted by their faces all at once. He loses continence and retreats into prayer as the poison-filled capsules drop. That's reality. There's no last minute call from “god” to tell anyone whether a criminal's groveling is sincere or just opening night jitters. There's no indication that prison religion is anything different from what it is outside: a set of rituals to quell primitive fears.

You might suggest that that's only here on earth and not in the magical land; but if you can't prove the magical land exists you're stuck with a grim moral prospect in the guise of Christian morality: There is nothing a person can do before converting that will prevent him or her believing he or she is entitled to forgiveness. It devalues life and even forgiveness itself, because it moves the importance of our acts out of the present and into an indeterminate position that we have no reason to believe exists. I'm talking practical realities here, not speculation about how lightsabers work or where people go to the bathroom on the Starship Enterprise.

[even more idle speculation snipped]

Silent on Berkowitz, I see. BAD EXAMPLE to have pulled out, huh?

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Forgiveness

magilum wrote:

Forgiveness necessarily follows a transgression. If any transgression can be forgiven, there's no impetus to do good in the first place.

Well, there is the whole hell thing in the christian religion but I thought you were against that. Yes, when you realize you can be forgiven for anything it puts more responsibility on you shoulders because at that point you must do right for rightness sake. Also comes the desire to do what is right to please God...a love for the things that God loves and a distaste for the things he despises.

magilum wrote:
You say it's for your magic authority figure to decide whether an apology is sincere. A death row inmate of eight years sits crying while a cleric says “There there.” He says he's sorry to the family sitting in the witness box as they brace themselves for the bittersweet horrors to come, knowing it won't bring back their loved one. A guy who's ended the futures of others is confronted by their faces all at once. He loses continence and retreats into prayer as the poison-filled capsules drop. That's reality. There's no last minute call from “god” to tell anyone whether a criminal's groveling is sincere or just opening night jitters. There's no indication that prison religion is anything different from what it is outside: a set of rituals to quell primitive fears.
You best hope you never do anything really regrettable. That criminal on death row is made of the same stuff as you and I.

magilum wrote:
You might suggest that that's only here on earth and not in the magical land; but if you can't prove the magical land exists you're stuck with a grim moral prospect in the guise of Christian morality: There is nothing a person can do before converting that will prevent him or her believing he or she is entitled to forgiveness. It devalues life and even forgiveness itself, because it moves the importance of our acts out of the present and into an indeterminate position that we have no reason to believe exists.
I'm not quite following you. I do see kind of see where you are coming from because I have had these thoughts as well...if all can be forgiven then why not just go out and raise hell. God has given us this insight into his character, and with this knowledge comes the risk of abuse. So, like I said, this knowledge comes with responsibility. If we know God's full truth regarding forgiveness, it makes us more accountable to what we do here on earth: we are no longer motivated out of fear to do good, but out of love for God. I think he wishes to test our character in this way, to see the true motivation of our hearts.

Regarding forgiveness, however, I accept that I will be judged as I have judged others. If I am unwilling to forgive, God will not be willing to forgive me.

[even more idle speculation snipped]

Silent on Berkowitz, I see. BAD EXAMPLE to have pulled out, huh?

No, still excellent example. I do not know what "silence" you are referring to.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum

magilum wrote:

Incidentally, David Berkowitz ultimately admitted his original story (about his neighbor's dog being a demon that issued him orders) was complete and utter bullshit he made up. He said he killed because it excited him sexually. Like many serial killers, he would return to the scenes of his crimes, and in his case he would jerk off at them and relive the memory.

What's your point, this would have been before he became a Christian.  He was obviously a severely messed up man.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: magilum

This comment has been moved here.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where is this thread headed

Where is this thread headed next? Whether Ottowa has a chance at the cup? Whether Angelina and Brad are going to split up? Who the next mayor of Mayberry is going to be?

This thread is way off topic and a new one should have been started a long time ago. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the love of God (or

For the love of God (or not) KILL this thread!!!  Please, someone, put it out of its misery!!!  Don't MAKE me reply to some of the nonsense I've just read.  Please, someone be kind and END THIS!!!

Oh yes, Sugar, would you let David Berkowitz stay with you, as jce asked?

(yeah, yeah, I couldn't help it) Wink