How do atheists propose filling in the gap

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
How do atheists propose filling in the gap

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070503/LOCAL18/705030475/-1/ZONES04

Rather than focusing on removing that which atheists disagree with, why not focus on finding ways to "minister" (in a humanistic way) to the community? How about creating programs to promote morality in the workplace? How about working in cooporation with others who share your desire to make society better, even tho you may not agree with them on the subject of God?

Shouldn't our government be concerned with supporting and promoting the morality of its citizens, given that, societies with rampant immorality, in the long run, are incapable of sustaining themselves? Is not one of government's fundamental responsibilities to promote order in a non-obtrusive way so that you and I are free to live productive lives? Shouldn't government institutions be allowed at least some flexibility in determining how to do just that?

Given the situation we find ourselves in, where our society's moral decay is becoming more and more evident, how do YOU propose promoting sound moral behaviors? In my opinion, simply suing those with whom you disagree does not get to the heart of the matter. It just leeches funding from programs designed to help people, so you are in effect, inhibiting their ability to serve their community.

Which brings me to my last question. Ultimately, is your goal to help others, or are you simply trying to make a point. If your goal IS to help others, how is suing going to help anyone???

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: Since

stillmatic wrote:
Since when did secular become anti-God, anti-religious? Have you ever heard of an organization offering aid only to those who would renounce God?

Why not just do the job at hand and keep God out of it?

What site am I on again? "Secular Coalition for America" "Freedom From Religion Foundation"

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: jce

sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Oh geez. Really, what I HAVE been saying is that, if a religious group is receiving grants or what not to helping people in need, why are groups like FFRF trying to thwart that? That's my one and only point with this thread, but no one is really answering it.

Well, geez, what we have really been saying is that there is already a program in place in this case. And, geez, no we do not have a problem with anyone wanting to help anyone but if tax dollars are being used then it should be secular in nature. geez.

So, you are saying, if grants are being given out by the government to orgs that are serving the community, the only orgs that should legally be able to apply are secular orgs. I will further assume that you are fair, then, and will agree that if any of those groups were to teach an anti-God, anti-religious message, their funding should be cut. Further, no atheist/agnostic groups should be allowed to apply for the grants.

You are confused beyond words.  No I do not think any funding should go to any organization for the sole purpose of preaching any kind of personal message.  I do not care what kind of organization receives these funds as long as they are used to truly help the needy and any personal/religious message is kept out of it.  I am sorry that I cannot make this clearer to you but the law, unfortunately for you, is actually on my side.  At this point you are beating a dead horse and I refuse to participate in the abuse any further.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: First

pariahjane wrote:
First off, I think you're getting a tad snippy. 
Nah, I'm feeling pretty relaxed. It's Friday.
pariahjane wrote:
Secondly, atheists and agnostics are not anti-religious or anti-god.
Wah? I've been here long enough to know that many of you are anti-god anti-religious to the EXTREME...

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: sugarfree

jce wrote:
sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Oh geez. Really, what I HAVE been saying is that, if a religious group is receiving grants or what not to helping people in need, why are groups like FFRF trying to thwart that? That's my one and only point with this thread, but no one is really answering it.

Well, geez, what we have really been saying is that there is already a program in place in this case. And, geez, no we do not have a problem with anyone wanting to help anyone but if tax dollars are being used then it should be secular in nature. geez.

So, you are saying, if grants are being given out by the government to orgs that are serving the community, the only orgs that should legally be able to apply are secular orgs. I will further assume that you are fair, then, and will agree that if any of those groups were to teach an anti-God, anti-religious message, their funding should be cut. Further, no atheist/agnostic groups should be allowed to apply for the grants.

You are confused beyond words.  No I do not think any funding should go to any organization for the sole purpose of preaching any kind of personal message.  I do not care what kind of organization receives these funds as long as they are used to truly help the needy and any personal/religious message is kept out of it.  I am sorry that I cannot make this clearer to you but the law, unfortunately for you, is actually on my side.  At this point you are beating a dead horse and I refuse to participate in the abuse any further.

Why do I seem confused to you? I'm just making sure you would not support funding going to atheist groups.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I think

sugarfree wrote:
I think the difference between our viewpoints is that I DO NOT find it offensive for him to be in that position and I do not see how it is hurting anyone so long as he stays within his bounds of only counseling those who willingly approach him. In fact, if he stays within his bounds, he is helping those folks who need him and therefore contributing good to society...so I do not see the problem. I do not see the problem with giving religious people counseling options because some feel more comfortable taking advice from a person whom they know shares their core values. I mean, look how poorly we get along...our values are so different. If I am to go to you for counseling you are more likely to give me what I consider to be poor advice. Given that these people work in a social services type of environment, their emotional needs are going to be greater than someone who works in, say, finance, because they have to face all kinds of crap everyday that most of us do not. (And, I think it is up to the organization to determine the needs of its employees and how those needs will be best served...government employees deserve perks and benefits just like civilian employees do. If this is a benefit the org has deemed will enhance their worklife, than so be it.) I do not know what I failed to answer. Please reiterate.

Sugarfree - Of course you don't find it offensive because he shares the same faith with you!  I'll ask you again, what if this minister was Jewish or Muslim?  Would YOU feel comfortable with that?  This is a yes or no answer, Sugar.  Either you feel perfectly comfortable being counseled by a Rabbi and Imam or you do not. Please answer this time.

You are not giving all religious people counseling in this matter, you are giving Christians counseling.  Not Jew, not Muslim, not Hindu.  I don't understand why you can't see that.  Do you think a Hindu would be comfortable receiving counseling from someone who's faith basically feels that the Hindu will be going to hell?  Ignore the atheists and the agnostics for once; this issue would not giving ALL religious people counseling! Your argument is moot.

I am going to give you poor advice, am I?  I will be a better person and not make a nasty retort, but Sugarfree, you're treading on thin ice with your pathetically veiled insults. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
Wah? I've been here long enough to know that many of you are anti-god anti-religious to the EXTREME...

Fine. Let me rephrase that - MANY atheists and agnostics are NOT anti-religious or anti-god.  We just want to maintain the healthy balance of separation between church and state (which also benefits you, as a religious person, by the way). 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Oh geez.

sugarfree wrote:

Check out this thread to see how proselytism is being snuck into government prison programs -- with my money.  I'm paying for criminals to pray to jesus?  Damn right we should sue!

Do you not see that with "faith-based initiatives", any kook can start a religion, offer to do some "community service" to gain an air of legitimacy, then line up at the government trough?

Even the scientologists do community work.  You feel like writing them a check?   

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline

sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:
sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

You are confused beyond words. No I do not think any funding should go to any organization for the sole purpose of preaching any kind of personal message. I do not care what kind of organization receives these funds as long as they are used to truly help the needy and any personal/religious message is kept out of it. I am sorry that I cannot make this clearer to you but the law, unfortunately for you, is actually on my side. At this point you are beating a dead horse and I refuse to participate in the abuse any further.

Why do I seem confused to you? I'm just making sure you would not support funding going to atheist groups.

As it stands, there are funds going to religious groups who do have a message to preach.  They use these funds to "help" causes while preaching their message.  There are no funds going to atheist groups because any funds applied for would be considered "secular" since there is no message to preach.  You are confusing websites such as this where we discuss these issues with supporting the community.  Many people here do support their community, they just do not bring a personal message with it..no anti-god; anti-religion.  Why is it ok for religious groups to bring "god" into it?  We do not bring "no god" into any assistance provided.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: I agree. You

BGH wrote:
I agree. You have stated your argument clearly and I concur. No point in trying to be fair to everyone and keep from endorsing any religion. Let the heathens deal with their own crap on their own, you and I (now that I believe in god) will have OUR services. They should just give in too and quit all this silly thinking they want to do all the time....

Have I told you lately why you are my best friend?  Because this is a perfect examply of why! 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Fine. Let me rephrase that - MANY atheists and agnostics are NOT anti-religious or anti-god.  We just want to maintain the healthy balance of separation between church and state (which also benefits you, as a religious person, by the way). 

Yes, I am for separation, I just think you all tend to apply that in situations where it needn't be. I think I see more gray area than you do, and in those gray areas, situations need to be considered on a case by case basis.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

Check out this thread to see how proselytism is being snuck into government prison programs -- with my money.  I'm paying for criminals to pray to jesus?  Damn right we should sue!

Do you not see that with "faith-based initiatives", any kook can start a religion, offer to do some "community service" to gain an air of legitimacy, then line up at the government trough?

Even the scientologists do community work.  You feel like writing them a check?   

Would you rather criminals pray to Jesus, or go out and commit crimes again? Just something to think about. And, according to the faith-based initiatives program I believe scientologists would be able to apply for grants and funding.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Yes, I am

sugarfree wrote:
Yes, I am for separation, I just think you all tend to apply that in situations where it needn't be. I think I see more gray area than you do, and in those gray areas, situations need to be considered on a case by case basis.

That's ok.  We think you all tend to apply religion in situations where it needn't be.  (Hence the lawsuit.)

Sorry to hear about your impaired vision. 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
I think the difference between our viewpoints is that I DO NOT find it offensive for him to be in that position and I do not see how it is hurting anyone so long as he stays within his bounds of only counseling those who willingly approach him. In fact, if he stays within his bounds, he is helping those folks who need him and therefore contributing good to society...so I do not see the problem. I do not see the problem with giving religious people counseling options because some feel more comfortable taking advice from a person whom they know shares their core values. I mean, look how poorly we get along...our values are so different. If I am to go to you for counseling you are more likely to give me what I consider to be poor advice. Given that these people work in a social services type of environment, their emotional needs are going to be greater than someone who works in, say, finance, because they have to face all kinds of crap everyday that most of us do not. (And, I think it is up to the organization to determine the needs of its employees and how those needs will be best served...government employees deserve perks and benefits just like civilian employees do. If this is a benefit the org has deemed will enhance their worklife, than so be it.) I do not know what I failed to answer. Please reiterate.

Sugarfree - Of course you don't find it offensive because he shares the same faith with you!  I'll ask you again, what if this minister was Jewish or Muslim?  Would YOU feel comfortable with that?  This is a yes or no answer, Sugar.  Either you feel perfectly comfortable being counseled by a Rabbi and Imam or you do not. Please answer this time.

You are not giving all religious people counseling in this matter, you are giving Christians counseling.  Not Jew, not Muslim, not Hindu.  I don't understand why you can't see that.  Do you think a Hindu would be comfortable receiving counseling from someone who's faith basically feels that the Hindu will be going to hell?  Ignore the atheists and the agnostics for once; this issue would not giving ALL religious people counseling! Your argument is moot.

I am going to give you poor advice, am I?  I will be a better person and not make a nasty retort, but Sugarfree, you're treading on thin ice with your pathetically veiled insults. 

Pariahjane, your question is misguided. I would not feel comfortable with a Muslim or Hindu in that position because it would not make sense. It would not make sense to the employees or the community. They are not going to trust a Hindu or a Muslim as much as a Christian because those two faiths are not common in this area. Further, no one is being forced to be counseled by the chaplain. I, personally, would not go to a Muslim or Hindu counselor because that is my choice. No one is holding these people's hands to the fire. And face it. You are the minority. The majority of people around this man and in the community are Christian and so he is well suited to fulfill their needs. You argument about not offering anything because ALL needs cannot be fulfilled is just plain rubbish to me. And actually, yes, I would trust a Christian counselors advice over an atheist counselors advice, because an atheist doesn't even acknowledge that I have a spirit. Well...oftentimes, it is the spirit that needs healing, and you as an atheist would have no idea how to go about assisting me in that process.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Sugarfree is right about one thing: I, at least, am anti-religious and anti-god. It's not a requirement to be an atheist, but it is true to some extent of most of the people here I think. However, I have a basic belief that the government should not be made an authority of truth, because that authority would be prone to abuse. Therefore, I oppose governments promoting belief or disbelief in anything any more than necessary, so I would no more support a positively atheist agenda supported by government than a theist agenda.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not to change the subject,

Not to change the subject, but may I ask why your religious folks are using my tax dollars on lawsuits to teach creationism?  There is no benefit to the needy, there is no benefit to science and Evolutionists are clearly in the majority.  Could you please ask them to stop? 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: pariahjane

rexlunae wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Sugarfree is right about one thing: I, at least, am anti-religious and anti-god. It's not a requirement to be an atheist, but it is true to some extent of most of the people here I think. However, I have a basic belief that the government should not be made an authority of truth, because that authority would be prone to abuse. Therefore, I oppose governments promoting belief or disbelief in anything any more than necessary, so I would no more support a positively atheist agenda supported by government than a theist agenda.

I think this is a fair position to take. The only two fair positions I truly see in this situation are 1. make funding available to ALL groups or 2. make funding available to NO groups at all. And I would be okay with the government cutting all this type funding (including to secular groups) as long as it was done in a phased, thoughtful manner so that people in need are not just thrown out into the cold.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I think

sugarfree wrote:
I think this is a fair position to take. The only two fair positions I truly see in this situation are 1. make funding available to ALL groups or 2. make funding available to NO groups at all. And I would be okay with the government cutting all this type funding (including to secular groups) as long as it was done in a phased, thoughtful manner so that people in need are not just thrown out into the cold.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "secular"?  It seems as though you are confusing secular with atheism - it is a common mistake.

sec·u·lar      /ˈsɛklər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sek-yuh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
1.of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.
2.not pertaining to or connected with religion (opposed to sacred): secular music.
3.(of education, a school, etc.) concerned with nonreligious subjects.
4.(of members of the clergy) not belonging to a religious order; not bound by monastic vows (opposed to regular).
5.occurring or celebrated once in an age or century: the secular games of Rome.
6.going on from age to age; continuing through long ages.
–noun
7.a layperson.
8.one of the secular clergy.

Lloyd
User is offlineOffline
Morality

The problem is addressed from what we teach.  The state of education leads to the moral failures in our society.  Students are taught to compete to win and that winners and only winners receive accolade in our society.  Students are not taught how to think.  How to critically analyze situations/problems/issues and  use logic are not taught in our schools.  Students are taught that there are "right answers" and that they should "find them" rather than generate a model and provide AN answer.  It all stems from the simplistic thinking that accompanies religion, needing to TELL people what to think instead of teaching them how to think - giving answers to them rather than helping them come up with their own.  

It is coming soon though. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey sugarfree, I'm glad you

Hey sugarfree, I'm glad you came back.

If nothing else, your threads receive a lot of attention.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Do you

jce wrote:
Do you understand the meaning of the word "secular"?  It seems as though you are confusing secular with atheism - it is a common mistake.
Yes I understand what secular means.

I had said to rexlunae earlier that my ideal government is one that is very hands off. I am quite uncomfortable with this country's vast entitlement systems. I would be okay, as I said, if government did not fund ANY of this type of stuff and just let the people take care of it. Given that the government has gotten itself into a sticky entitlement mess, however, they would have to carefully plan how to cut this funding so that people are not thrown out on their butts without fair warning.

The problem I have with the types of lawsuits Iby the FFRF that I have mentioned is that, it seems they are filed just to make a "point" with no care or concern given to the people that are potentially hurt when the funding is cut.

Lastly, since the government has decided to offer this type of funding, I do not think it is fair to exclude religious groups from applying for it. I think that is discriminatory.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: Hey

Iruka Naminori wrote:

LOL. Is that a good thing? I must be really opinionated or something. Eye-wink

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Lloyd wrote: The problem

Lloyd wrote:

The problem is addressed from what we teach.  The state of education leads to the moral failures in our society.  Students are taught to compete to win and that winners and only winners receive accolade in our society.  Students are not taught how to think.  How to critically analyze situations/problems/issues and  use logic are not taught in our schools.  Students are taught that there are "right answers" and that they should "find them" rather than generate a model and provide AN answer.  It all stems from the simplistic thinking that accompanies religion, needing to TELL people what to think instead of teaching them how to think - giving answers to them rather than helping them come up with their own.  

It is coming soon though. 

I agree with most of what you say, except I don't think religion caused the problem. The competitive stuff definitely came from elsewhere... Human pride, greed, etc... Perhaps we must blame capitalism for some of it.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline

sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:
Yes I understand what secular means. I had said to rexlunae earlier that my ideal government is one that is very hands off. I am quite uncomfortable with this country's vast entitlement systems. I would be okay, as I said, if government did not fund ANY of this type of stuff and just let the people take care of it. Given that the government has gotten itself into a sticky entitlement mess, however, they would have to carefully plan how to cut this funding so that people are not thrown out on their butts without fair warning. The problem I have with the types of lawsuits Iby the FFRF that I have mentioned is that, it seems they are filed just to make a "point" with no care or concern given to the people that are potentially hurt when the funding is cut. Lastly, since the government has decided to offer this type of funding, I do not think it is fair to exclude religious groups from applying for it. I think that is discriminatory.

The point being it's unconstitutional? Nobody here is claiming they need to cut funding to aid programs with a religious bias and let people who use them hang without implementing some kind of unbiased secular replacement.

We exclude religious groups all the time from funding, why should this be any different? I agree with you that there are two options, either hand out the money without discrimination to all denominations and religions, or hand out money to non-religious secular organizations (which can have people of faith working within them).

Which system do you think is more resistant to corruption from within government?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Iruka

sugarfree wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

LOL. Is that a good thing? I must be really opinionated or something. Eye-wink

Having opinions is good.  Being able to change them when presented with good evidence is also good.  I haven't read very far into this thread, but I imagine I'll have some kind of comment.  

I hope all is well with you.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Pariahjane wrote:
Sugarfree - Of course you don't find it offensive because he shares the same faith with you! I'll ask you again, what if this minister was Jewish or Muslim? Would YOU feel comfortable with that? This is a yes or no answer, Sugar. Either you feel perfectly comfortable being counseled by a Rabbi and Imam or you do not. Please answer this time.

You are not giving all religious people counseling in this matter, you are giving Christians counseling. Not Jew, not Muslim, not Hindu. I don't understand why you can't see that. Do you think a Hindu would be comfortable receiving counseling from someone who's faith basically feels that the Hindu will be going to hell? Ignore the atheists and the agnostics for once; this issue would not giving ALL religious people counseling! Your argument is moot.

I am going to give you poor advice, am I? I will be a better person and not make a nasty retort, but Sugarfree, you're treading on thin ice with your pathetically veiled insults.

Pariahjane, your question is misguided. I would not feel comfortable with a Muslim or Hindu in that position because it would not make sense. It would not make sense to the employees or the community. They are not going to trust a Hindu or a Muslim as much as a Christian because those two faiths are not common in this area. Further, no one is being forced to be counseled by the chaplain. I, personally, would not go to a Muslim or Hindu counselor because that is my choice. No one is holding these people's hands to the fire. And face it. You are the minority. The majority of people around this man and in the community are Christian and so he is well suited to fulfill their needs. You argument about not offering anything because ALL needs cannot be fulfilled is just plain rubbish to me. And actually, yes, I would trust a Christian counselors advice over an atheist counselors advice, because an atheist doesn't even acknowledge that I have a spirit. Well...oftentimes, it is the spirit that needs healing, and you as an atheist would have no idea how to go about assisting me in that process.

I don't see how my question is misguided but I appreciate you answering it. Thank you. I'm glad that you can admit that you would be uncomfortable if this person was of another faith.

My argument isn't taking away the minister and not replacing it with anything, Sugarfree. Its instituting a system that benefits everyone. You see, religions are discriminatory by nature (i.e. The Chosen Ones, etc.) You can have a counselor but it has to be in a secular sense. And secular is not anti-religious.

There is a difference between having a Christian counselor and a counselor who is Christian.

[MOD EDIT - fixed quoting] 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic

stillmatic wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:
Yes I understand what secular means. I had said to rexlunae earlier that my ideal government is one that is very hands off. I am quite uncomfortable with this country's vast entitlement systems. I would be okay, as I said, if government did not fund ANY of this type of stuff and just let the people take care of it. Given that the government has gotten itself into a sticky entitlement mess, however, they would have to carefully plan how to cut this funding so that people are not thrown out on their butts without fair warning. The problem I have with the types of lawsuits Iby the FFRF that I have mentioned is that, it seems they are filed just to make a "point" with no care or concern given to the people that are potentially hurt when the funding is cut. Lastly, since the government has decided to offer this type of funding, I do not think it is fair to exclude religious groups from applying for it. I think that is discriminatory.

The point being it's unconstitutional? Nobody here is claiming they need to cut funding to aid programs with a religious bias and let people who use them hang without implementing some kind of unbiased secular replacement.

We exclude religious groups all the time from funding, why should this be any different? I agree with you that there are two options, either hand out the money without discrimination to all denominations and religions, or hand out money to non-religious secular organizations (which can have people of faith working within them).

Which system do you think is more resistant to corruption from within government?

If the government is involved, neither! LOL. I'm coming closer to convincing myself that the government needs to stay out of this charity work thing all together! Then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I don't

pariahjane wrote:
I don't see how my question is misguided but I appreciate you answering it.  Thank you.  I'm glad that you can admit that you would be uncomfortable if this person was of another faith. 

My argument isn't taking away the minister and not replacing it with anything, Sugarfree.  Its instituting a system that benefits everyone.  You see, religions are discriminatory by nature (i.e. The Chosen Ones, etc.)  You can have a counselor but it has to be in a secular sense.  And secular is not anti-religious.

There is a difference between having a Christian counselor and a counselor who is Christian.

Well, you might be proud of me because I am changing my opinion, or refining it. Why is the government funding charity work in the first place? It's our money the government is spending. Aren't we smart enough to decide where we want to donate our money? Also, then, neither you nor I have to feel offended by what the gov does or doesn't give OUR money to. Problem solved!!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
I don't see how my question is misguided but I appreciate you answering it.  Thank you.  I'm glad that you can admit that you would be uncomfortable if this person was of another faith. 

My argument isn't taking away the minister and not replacing it with anything, Sugarfree.  Its instituting a system that benefits everyone.  You see, religions are discriminatory by nature (i.e. The Chosen Ones, etc.)  You can have a counselor but it has to be in a secular sense.  And secular is not anti-religious.

Well, you might be proud of me because I am changing my opinion, or refining it. Why is the government funding charity work in the first place? It's our money the government is spending. Aren't we smart enough to decide where we want to donate our money? Also, then, neither you nor I have to feel offended by what the gov does or doesn't give OUR money to. Problem solved!!

Uh oh, you're not planning on taking on the government Sugarfree, are you?!  Tongue out

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Uh oh,

pariahjane wrote:
Uh oh, you're not planning on taking on the government Sugarfree, are you?!  Tongue out

Yeah right, LOL. That's a losing proposition. (Unfortunately.) But I will continue to email my representatives when I am feeling extra peeved about something. Then, I can tell myself I tried... So far, I'm not noticing a difference tho!

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Well, you

sugarfree wrote:

Actually, this really saddens me.  Part of the reason we pay taxes is to have programs that provide for those in need.  It makes me sad to think that because you cannot have the religious based programs you want that you would take away all funding.  I am sorry that you disagree with so much of what is said on this forum, but really, no one has promoted NOT helping others and I am sorry to hear that is what you want.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Geez, this thread still

Geez, this thread still going strong?  I thought everyone was hugging and making up back at my post?  Tongue out

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: sugarfree

jce wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

Actually, this really saddens me.  Part of the reason we pay taxes is to have programs that provide for those in need.  It makes me sad to think that because you cannot have the religious based programs you want that you would take away all funding.  I am sorry that you disagree with so much of what is said on this forum, but really, no one has promoted NOT helping others and I am sorry to hear that is what you want.

Actually, it's about the fact that the government is just plain dumb. It's too big to be anything other than dumb. If you do not believe you need a "God" to take care of you, why should you need a government to do it? We truly are capable of accomplishing much more than the government gives us credit for. I think our founders intended our government to be small and unobtrusive, however it has grown into a behemoth, and possibly it is partly to blame for why we're always shouting back and forth at each other in these forums. We give the gov our money so we feel entitled to have a say about what is done with it, but there are so many of us, and the gov is so big, there's no WAY we're ever going to agree. So what has happened is this ultra political correctness. Make everybody happy, don't hurt anyone's feelings, don't step on anyone's toes... blah blah... I'm not saying we shouldn't help people, I'm just now, because of this conversation, questioning whether the government should be in that business at all. Personally, I pay taxes for infrastructure, national security, those sorts of things. I am very anti-entitlement. Heck, I pay into Social Security, but odds are I'll never get it. That's crap and it's choking our economy. But this is just me thinking out loud, way off subject... (Don't even get me started on national healthcare... Just say no to socialism!!)

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ack!  If anyone even

Ack!  If anyone even STARTS to post about healthcare, PLEASE PLEASE start a new thread for it!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Actually,

sugarfree wrote:

Actually, this really saddens me. Part of the reason we pay taxes is to have programs that provide for those in need. It makes me sad to think that because you cannot have the religious based programs you want that you would take away all funding. I am sorry that you disagree with so much of what is said on this forum, but really, no one has promoted NOT helping others and I am sorry to hear that is what you want.

Actually, it's about the fact that the government is just plain dumb. It's too big to be anything other than dumb. If you do not believe you need a "God" to take care of you, why should you need a government to do it? We truly are capable of accomplishing much more than the government gives us credit for. I think our founders intended our government to be small and unobtrusive, however it has grown into a behemoth, and possibly it is partly to blame for why we're always shouting back and forth at each other in these forums. We give the gov our money so we feel entitled to have a say about what is done with it, but there are so many of us, and the gov is so big, there's no WAY we're ever going to agree. So what has happened is this ultra political correctness. Make everybody happy, don't hurt anyone's feelings, don't step on anyone's toes... blah blah... I'm not saying we shouldn't help people, I'm just now, because of this conversation, questioning whether the government should be in that business at all. Personally, I pay taxes for infrastructure, national security, those sorts of things. I am very anti-entitlement. Heck, I pay into Social Security, but odds are I'll never get it. That's crap and it's choking our economy. But this is just me thinking out loud, way off subject... (Don't even get me started on national healthcare... Just say no to socialism!!)

(Paces back and forth, debating whether or not dive back into the melee.  Takes big gulp of wine and jumps in)

You know I was just waiting for some friends to come over and I had to check this $%&* thread!!  Grrr. 

I think I may have misinterpreted your previous post.  I have to wonder if you've ever been part of a minority, or if you've ever had to struggle to survive.  I cannot say whether or not the founders intended our government to be of the laissez faire variety (but I do know it was intended to be secular).  I get the feeling you are very unforgiving of people who perhaps don't fit into your category.  Can't quite pin it as to why I feel that way...

Oh, and Susan - see I didn't mention healthcare just for you!!!  Smile

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline

sugarfree wrote:
jce wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

Yeah who want a government that cares about its people (sarcasm). Our government does these thing for reasons One being to keep the nation strong.  We carry our government, it part of its job so to make sure we can carry it. That included helping people.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a couple of

Just a couple of comments:

1. This thread had become very cumbersome and if we want to continue the government discussion (and I think we should), sugarfree would you mind started another thread about it including your thoughts posted here?

2. Sugar - I must commend you on maintaining your side of the debate here (even if you did lose - it happens).  I am glad you are back and it looks like you have been honing your skills.  You always make me think and I get frustrated with you but I miss you when you are gone.  You are very popular (135 posts in less than 48 hours!).  Now, if I could just get you to see the other side of the issue...you don't have to agree, just understand it.
(See Susan, I didn't mention Healthcare either Wink)

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Would you rather criminals pray to Jesus, or go out and commit crimes again? Just something to think about.

False Dichotomy. Penalty, 5 yards, first down.

Praying to Jesus does not prevent people from committing crimes. I would argue that it, in fact, enables them to not improve, especially when they are told and accept that they are a lowly worthless sinner and it's only by the grace of god that anything good happens to them.

There's a known phenomenon wherein if you tell someone they are something (for example, a thief) over and over again, they start to believe it. If someone is told over and over again that they are a hopeless wretch, they'll likely start to act like one.

-Triften

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: I don't

stillmatic wrote:
I don't think there is a gap to fill in. I live in Canada and religion doesn't fill in any of those so called 'gaps'.

I think it's almost like that here in the UK. Except that religion does fill some of those roles as well as ordinary secularist people (again we aren't much of a religious nation). But I think the church does play perhaps too much of a significant role in helping people, obviously their work is good, but it does reinforce the attitude that Christianity must be a wholly benevolent thing which I'm less sure about. I think there should really be a secular organisation, acting as a charity for say, the homeless, out of sheer humanity. I'm not really sure on the nature of some of the charities, but it seems to be the case that a lot of them are Christian. I don't think any of them advertise the fact that they are secular.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks to everyone for not

Thanks to everyone for not starting a healthcare debate here! 

Susan wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
In the workplace, I think it would have to do more with those things we agree with, like honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, reliability, respect, etc.

Sugarfree, those are called ethics. Most companies have a code of ethics anyway.

sugarfree wrote:
And I also think it is in a company's best interests to assure that it's employees have the tools they need to create happy productive homes lives. No the company cannot say, don't get divorced, stop cheating on your husband, don't get an abortion, or what not, but they can foster an environment where upstanding moral behavior is supported and praised.

From what I'm reading, you are alluding to praising employees for being good church-going folks. Otherwise, companies would be out there praising everyone for not stealing office supplies every day.

What do you mean "assure employees have the tools for happy, productive home lives"? Most companies have some kind of health insurance. If an employee has mental or physical problems, they can get help.

However, I will note that Sugarfree did not respond to my question.

I would appreciate specifics/examples.

So, do we start a newsletter praising everyone that didn't steal pens and pencils today? 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I've had no free time to

I've had no free time to read lately, but it looks like I haven't missed much. How did this post get more than 130 replies? Seriously. Why is anyone paying attention to sugarfree? Does anyone notice the insincerity? The straw-men? The false dichotomies? Is there a hope that an agnostic or a smart theist will read her incoherent gurglings, see her get swiftly spanked, and walk away with a little more doubt? Maybe I'm just feeling impatient, but I don't understand the point of debating theists on such a small and non-public scale.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I've had no

magilum wrote:
I've had no free time to read lately, but it looks like I haven't missed much. How did this post get more than 130 replies? Seriously. Why is anyone paying attention to sugarfree?

Because we just can't resist!  We see something that is just wrong, wrong, wrong and we HAVE to say something.  I have tried to stop myself from typing responses - can't do it.

magilum wrote:
Does anyone notice the insincerity? The straw-men? The false dichotomies?

Yes.  It is frustrating and it gnaws at me until I feel I have made my best effort to set the record straight.  (See above...apparently I am a glutton for punishment)

magilum wrote:
Is there a hope that an agnostic or a smart theist will read her incoherent gurglings, see her get swiftly spanked, and walk away with a little more doubt? Maybe I'm just feeling impatient, but I don't understand the point of debating theists on such a small and non-public scale.

I know of three that I showed this argument to and they were stunned that she could take that article and interpret it the way she did.  One was already on the fence with spirituality so that was an easy discussion.  The other two claim to have no intention of changing thier beliefs (moderate christians) so I recommended Mr. Harris' book for fun reading.  Maybe....?

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:
sugarfree wrote:

Actually, this really saddens me. Part of the reason we pay taxes is to have programs that provide for those in need. It makes me sad to think that because you cannot have the religious based programs you want that you would take away all funding. I am sorry that you disagree with so much of what is said on this forum, but really, no one has promoted NOT helping others and I am sorry to hear that is what you want.

(Paces back and forth, debating whether or not dive back into the melee. Takes big gulp of wine and jumps in)

You know I was just waiting for some friends to come over and I had to check this $%&* thread!! Grrr.

I think I may have misinterpreted your previous post. I have to wonder if you've ever been part of a minority, or if you've ever had to struggle to survive. I cannot say whether or not the founders intended our government to be of the laissez faire variety (but I do know it was intended to be secular). I get the feeling you are very unforgiving of people who perhaps don't fit into your category. Can't quite pin it as to why I feel that way...

Oh, and Susan - see I didn't mention healthcare just for you!!! Smile

Yes I have had to struggle to survive.  I know what it is like to have zero money.  That post was about my ideal world.  I can think both idealistically and realistically.  And a day to day basis, I am a realist.  I do not think humans are capable to living up to ideals, but I don't think that means we should not at least try.  My life hasn't been a bed of roses, I just come from a line of people who believe in self-sufficiency, which resulted in me being a firm believer in personal responsibility.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:   Yeah who

Magus wrote:

Yeah who want a government that cares about its people (sarcasm). Our government does these thing for reasons One being to keep the nation strong. We carry our government, it part of its job so to make sure we can carry it. That included helping people.

God will always be my ultimate, not government.  When government becomes ultimate, bad things happen and government is more likely to become corrupt.  I believe in maintaining a healthy distrust in the government and so did our founding fathers.  That is why the right to bear arms is still relevant today because we the people should always have the right to rise up against our government if it goes sour.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Just a couple

jce wrote:

Just a couple of comments:

1. This thread had become very cumbersome and if we want to continue the government discussion (and I think we should), sugarfree would you mind started another thread about it including your thoughts posted here?

2. Sugar - I must commend you on maintaining your side of the debate here (even if you did lose - it happens). I am glad you are back and it looks like you have been honing your skills. You always make me think and I get frustrated with you but I miss you when you are gone. You are very popular (135 posts in less than 48 hours!). Now, if I could just get you to see the other side of the issue...you don't have to agree, just understand it.

(See Susan, I didn't mention Healthcare either Wink)

Thanks JCE.  I agree perhaps another thread is warranted.  (I do see the other sides of issues, but generally feel pretty strongly about mine so it's difficult to get me to flip.  I'm an absolute truth kind of gal, so that could account for some of that.  I see other sides, but if I don't agree I'm not going to pretend...)

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote: sugarfree

triften wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Would you rather criminals pray to Jesus, or go out and commit crimes again? Just something to think about.

Praying to Jesus does not prevent people from committing crimes. I would argue that it, in fact, enables them to not improve, especially when they are told and accept that they are a lowly worthless sinner and it's only by the grace of god that anything good happens to them.

There's a known phenomenon wherein if you tell someone they are something (for example, a thief) over and over again, they start to believe it. If someone is told over and over again that they are a hopeless wretch, they'll likely start to act like one.

-Triften

Triften, I think you are dead wrong on this.  Prison ministries are effective.  Some really nasty criminals have been turned around after being introduced to Jesus.  I'm thinking of two in particular, but can't remember their names.  One was a mass murderer in new york or something, several decades ago.  And I heard the Dahmer guy had never even looked inside a Bible until he was in prison...and he said something to the effect of "I never knew about any of this."  Perhaps if he had, he might have eaten less people...

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Thanks to

Susan wrote:

Susan wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
In the workplace, I think it would have to do more with those things we agree with, like honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, reliability, respect, etc.

Sugarfree, those are called ethics. Most companies have a code of ethics anyway.

sugarfree wrote:
And I also think it is in a company's best interests to assure that it's employees have the tools they need to create happy productive homes lives. No the company cannot say, don't get divorced, stop cheating on your husband, don't get an abortion, or what not, but they can foster an environment where upstanding moral behavior is supported and praised.

From what I'm reading, you are alluding to praising employees for being good church-going folks. Otherwise, companies would be out there praising everyone for not stealing office supplies every day.

What do you mean "assure employees have the tools for happy, productive home lives"? Most companies have some kind of health insurance. If an employee has mental or physical problems, they can get help.

So, do we start a newsletter praising everyone that didn't steal pens and pencils today?

Susan, I provided an example text written by my own company to address your questions.  What I am talking about is the higher ups sitting down, actively deciding what kind of mood/tone they want to have in their workplace, and then writing it down so employees know what the expectations are.  Second, the company can choose to reward people for good work, not for crushing people just to get to the top.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I've had no

magilum wrote:
I've had no free time to read lately, but it looks like I haven't missed much. How did this post get more than 130 replies? Seriously. Why is anyone paying attention to sugarfree? Does anyone notice the insincerity? The straw-men? The false dichotomies? Is there a hope that an agnostic or a smart theist will read her incoherent gurglings, see her get swiftly spanked, and walk away with a little more doubt? Maybe I'm just feeling impatient, but I don't understand the point of debating theists on such a small and non-public scale.
Magilum, I haven't called you out on it, but I have noticed every post of yours is a downer...  How about saying something positive sometime, just to surprise me.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: triften

sugarfree wrote:
triften wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

-Triften

Triften, I think you are dead wrong on this. Prison ministries are effective. Some really nasty criminals have been turned around after being introduced to Jesus. I'm thinking of two in particular, but can't remember their names. One was a mass murderer in new york or something, several decades ago. And I heard the Dahmer guy had never even looked inside a Bible until he was in prison...and he said something to the effect of "I never knew about any of this." Perhaps if he had, he might have eaten less people...

Just mentioning two criminal that heard about the bible in prison and happened not to murder anyone afterward is anecdotal. At least show some statistics or a link to a peer-reviewed article that supports this claim. Just by doing a quick search I found that the recidivism rate seems to be lower in more secular nations, and the more secular the country is the lower it seems to be. The US is about 60%, while UK is 50, and Japan is 45. I’m not saying that means you are wrong; you may be correct but for all you know prison ministries could raise the recidivism rate.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Susan

sugarfree wrote:
Susan wrote:

Susan wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:

Susan, I provided an example text written by my own company to address your questions. What I am talking about is the higher ups sitting down, actively deciding what kind of mood/tone they want to have in their workplace, and then writing it down so employees know what the expectations are. Second, the company can choose to reward people for good work, not for crushing people just to get to the top.

Sugarfree, what you posted was this:

sugarfree wrote:
"Partnering: Forming a mutually beneficial relationship by fostering honesty and providing quality results.

Associate Success: Provide an environment that encourages open communication, empowerment, empathy for fellow associates, continuous improvement, mentoring, training, and recognition.

Shared Values: Implement shared values in every aspect of our business and communications with customers and associates.

Do What is Right....Always"

Again, I ask you, how is it you propose to reward and praise employees for moral behavior?

Where's that newsletter saying that John didn't steal any office supplies today and that Jane showed up on time?

I also don't see anything about giving employees the "tools" for a happy home life.

This is simply "do your job, do your job well, improve your job skills and treat the customer well."

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Magilum, I haven't called

Magilum, I haven't called you out on it, but I have noticed every post of yours is a downer...

It's called confirmation bias.

How about saying something positive sometime, just to surprise me.

I'm grateful your corn pone ass is in the fly over states.