Catholic Discrimiation or Is It Just Hypocricy?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Catholic Discrimiation or Is It Just Hypocricy?

Roman Catholic Archbishop Raymond Burke didn't attend a fundraiser in St. Louis for the Bob Costas Cancer Center at Cardinal Glennon Medical Center headlined by singer Sheryl Crow this weekend because he disagrees with her support of abortion rights and embryonic stem cell research.

A prime example of "I don't want to be the the same room" even though it was for an excellent cause.

Pfft!  Yeah, he abandoned the medical center's fundraiser because he doesn't agree someone who was trying to help.  What a jerk and what a great example of xian values. He should be a bigger man than that.

It's kind of like the junior high attitude "If you're going to be friends with her, I won't be friends with you." 

Full article here.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah well, those

Yeah well, those Catholics...there's more important things than rooms full of sad-eyed kids with Rhabdoalveolar sarcoma...there's little alter boys to molest, there's fools to extort (You give us lots of money and we'll buy your dead relatives out of hell) and there are still lots and lots of AIDs victims to kill!

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, Susan.  And I'm

I agree, Susan.  And I'm Catholic.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, we live here in St.

Yeah, we live here in St. Louis and Burke is a real cock knocker! JCE wrote a very scathing letter to the editor about this.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Yeah, we live

BGH wrote:
Yeah, we live here in St. Louis and Burke is a real cock knocker! JCE wrote a very scathing letter to the editor about this.

I couldn't help myself.  Burke's actions represent two of the core problems with religion - intolerance and perpetuation of hatred.  This would have been an excellent opportunity for him to set an example that it is possible to work with someone you do not completely agree with in order to promote the greater good.  What an assbag.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: I couldn't

jce wrote:

I couldn't help myself. Burke's actions represent two of the core problems with religion - intolerance and perpetuation of hatred. This would have been an excellent opportunity for him to set an example that it is possible to work with someone you do not completely agree with in order to promote the greater good. What an assbag.

Smart, Sassy, and willing to use the word assbag in a sentence...Alas, but I'm too young for her....

No Gods, Know Peace.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
What gets me is that Sheryl

What gets me is that Sheryl Crow was more focused on helping people by helping a hospital when she could have had a hissy fit about the fact that it's a catholic institution that's against a woman's right to choose and stem cell research.

Sheryl Crow is quite obviously a much bigger and better person than Asshat Burke.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: BGH

jce wrote:

BGH wrote:

I couldn't help myself.  Burke's actions represent two of the core problems with religion - intolerance and perpetuation of hatred.  This would have been an excellent opportunity for him to set an example that it is possible to work with someone you do not completely agree with in order to promote the greater good.  What an assbag.

Can you post that letter here so we can read it?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: jce

pariahjane wrote:
jce wrote:

BGH wrote:

I couldn't help myself. Burke's actions represent two of the core problems with religion - intolerance and perpetuation of hatred. This would have been an excellent opportunity for him to set an example that it is possible to work with someone you do not completely agree with in order to promote the greater good. What an assbag.

Can you post that letter here so we can read it?

Oh jeebus...you are asking the technophobe to do that?

Um, ok....

Since no mention has been made as to whether Ms. Crow plans to use this performance to promote her personal political agenda, I am forced to conclude that Mr. Burke is acting like a small child who did not get his way.  Surely, a man of his standing in the community and within the church would not want to promote a message of unwillingness to set aside differences in order to promote the greater good, would he?  It is common for people to disagree on issues, but one would expect that he would want to set an example of rising above such differences instead of inciting more hatred over sensitive issues that have nothing to do with the benefit.    In the end, I think he may have unintentionally promoted the greater good since ticket sales for the event are up thanks to the publicity. Sorry, I didn't know how to attach it so I copied it.  Good thing it was short! NinjaTux, my dear - are you over 18?  If you are then you are legal and that is good enough for me. Wink