What if humans never formed relgions.

HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

I can think of wars would have never happened if their was no relgion. Crusades and Inqusion how many more would have never happened?


Humanzy
Posts: 30
Joined: 2006-07-11
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

KCahill wrote:
I can think of wars would have never happened if their was no relgion. Crusades and Inqusion how many more would have never happened?

That's pretty redundant. More wars were started over worse things than Religion.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
I can think of wars would have never happened if their was no relgion. Crusades and Inqusion how many more would have never happened?

That's pretty redundant. More wars were started over worse things than Religion.

War is War. People die, of course these people died for a stupid reason. Most wars are caused by relgion more than by terroity. The Catholics are known for their killings, like when they decided to kill pagans because they didnt believe in god. I suppose this is alright?


Humanzy
Posts: 30
Joined: 2006-07-11
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

KCahill wrote:
Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
I can think of wars would have never happened if their was no relgion. Crusades and Inqusion how many more would have never happened?

That's pretty redundant. More wars were started over worse things than Religion.

War is War. People die, of course these people died for a stupid reason. Most wars are caused by relgion more than by terroity. The Catholics are known for their killings, like when they decided to kill pagans because they didnt believe in god. I suppose this is alright?

Ghenghis Khan killed people because they didn't pay him tribute. Lots of people have died for many stupid reasons. Religion isn't the main reason, though it's pretty easy to add it to the pile. Also religion is a big part of cultural growth. If religion didn't exist we'd find other reasons to kill eachother because, to quote Douglas Adams: People are a problem.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
I can think of wars would have never happened if their was no relgion. Crusades and Inqusion how many more would have never happened?

That's pretty redundant. More wars were started over worse things than Religion.

War is War. People die, of course these people died for a stupid reason. Most wars are caused by relgion more than by terroity. The Catholics are known for their killings, like when they decided to kill pagans because they didnt believe in god. I suppose this is alright?

Ghenghis Khan killed people because they didn't pay him tribute. Lots of people have died for many stupid reasons. Religion isn't the main reason, though it's pretty easy to add it to the pile. Also religion is a big part of cultural growth. If religion didn't exist we'd find other reasons to kill eachother because, to quote Douglas Adams: People are a problem.

Can you give me examples of these things that people would fight other if religions didnt exist?


Humanzy
Posts: 30
Joined: 2006-07-11
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

KCahill wrote:
Can you give me examples of these things that people would fight other if religions didnt exist?

Resources, territory, I argued with my friend the other day about which color chucks were better, by the way it's red. France fought England for 120 years, they were both of the same religion. It was for conquest, Imperialism. People are warlike, get used to it, however, I'll allow that if people had never created religion, they definatly wouldn't have fought over it.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
Can you give me examples of these things that people would fight other if religions didnt exist?

Resources, territory, I argued with my friend the other day about which color chucks were better, by the way it's red. France fought England for 120 years, they were both of the same religion. It was for conquest, Imperialism. People are warlike, get used to it.

You mean the "Hundred Years War"? France also strated a war against Protestants they called it The French Wars of Religion started in the 16th century. I dont know really anyone who can say their "used" to go to war, thats why the call Demorcary a "War Wearness" goverment. The Hundred Years War didnt have that problem, due to; Moncray. Thats why every other week you'll see people protesting about War in Iraqi and we went there little over 5 years ago. People who run countries are war-like not their citizens.


Humanzy
Posts: 30
Joined: 2006-07-11
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

KCahill wrote:
Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
Can you give me examples of these things that people would fight other if religions didnt exist?

Resources, territory, I argued with my friend the other day about which color chucks were better, by the way it's red. France fought England for 120 years, they were both of the same religion. It was for conquest, Imperialism. People are warlike, get used to it.

You mean the "Hundred Years War"? France also strated a war against Protestants they called it The French Wars of Religion started in the 16th century. I dont know really anyone who can say their "used" to go to war, thats why the call Demorcary a "War Wearness" goverment. The Hundred Years War didnt have that problem, due to; Moncray. Thats why every other week you'll see people protesting about War in Iraqi and we went there little over 5 years ago. People who run countries are war-like not their citizens.

No the war was started for Conquest, Charlemange started it a long time before they turned into that. Some people also support the war, some people are fighting it, happily, some people have said we should bomb the Middle east into the stone age, some people even call the humans there 'sand niggers'. Becuase they want excuses to kill them.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
Can you give me examples of these things that people would fight other if religions didnt exist?

Resources, territory, I argued with my friend the other day about which color chucks were better, by the way it's red. France fought England for 120 years, they were both of the same religion. It was for conquest, Imperialism. People are warlike, get used to it, however, I'll allow that if people had never created religion, they definatly wouldn't have fought over it.

I forgot to post that Hundred Years War wasnt for Imperialism but RELIGION. Henry Burghersh (Bishiop of Lincoln) went to France disobeying the King, this started the war. The war was based upon Edward III when he accused himself to be the heir of France, but the Bishop pushed the Kings last straw.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
Humanzy wrote:
KCahill wrote:
Can you give me examples of these things that people would fight other if religions didnt exist?

Resources, territory, I argued with my friend the other day about which color chucks were better, by the way it's red. France fought England for 120 years, they were both of the same religion. It was for conquest, Imperialism. People are warlike, get used to it.

You mean the "Hundred Years War"? France also strated a war against Protestants they called it The French Wars of Religion started in the 16th century. I dont know really anyone who can say their "used" to go to war, thats why the call Demorcary a "War Wearness" goverment. The Hundred Years War didnt have that problem, due to; Moncray. Thats why every other week you'll see people protesting about War in Iraqi and we went there little over 5 years ago. People who run countries are war-like not their citizens.

No the war was started for Conquest, Charlemange started it a long time before they turned into that. Some people also support the war, some people are fighting it, happily, some people have said we should bomb the Middle east into the stone age, some people even call the humans there 'sand niggers'. Becuase they want excuses to kill them.

I didnt say that The Hundred Years War is the French Wars of Relgion, I said that was another war they made, whcih was based on reilgion.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Quote:
No the war was started for Conquest, Charlemange started it a long time before they turned into that. Some people also support the war, some people are fighting it, happily, some people have said we should bomb the Middle east into the stone age, some people even call the humans there 'sand niggers'. Becuase they want excuses to kill them.

I dont know If I got that correctly, did you say happliy people should bomb innocent people in the Middle East? I'm sure that is "Gods Will" right? To kill people? I hate racists, did they find out everyone is the specie just a different culture and color? Does that make them bad?


Humanzy
Posts: 30
Joined: 2006-07-11
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

KCahill wrote:
Quote:
No the war was started for Conquest, Charlemange started it a long time before they turned into that. Some people also support the war, some people are fighting it, happily, some people have said we should bomb the Middle east into the stone age, some people even call the humans there 'sand niggers'. Becuase they want excuses to kill them.

I dont know If I got that correctly, did you say happliy people should bomb innocent people in the Middle East? I'm sure that is "Gods Will" right? To kill people? I hate racists, did they find out everyone is the specie just a different culture and color? Does that make them bad?

What the hell are you talking about? Are you trying to imply that without religion everyone would have just floated along hand in hand?

No, you're right, religion ruins everything, they did nothing for culture at all.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

1. I was quoting when you said HAPPILY people SHOULD BOMB the Middle East, I was making sure I read that correctly.

2. You havent given how religion has help our culture yet.

3. And I didnt say that without religion their would be peace I said WOULDNT have happened without religion and apperantly I saw your other threads where you take on as a Christian and then an Atheists, most people stick to one side.


Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
Posts: 557
Joined: 2006-06-18
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

Nice debate, guys, however I must break the line.

People will always kill each other for:
1. resources
2. mates (men or women)
3. for no other reason but their own stupidity (example: the Iraq war supporters who think that the war is actually going to do the Iraquis any good by installing "democracy", or that the American troops are ever going to leave Iraq before the oil wells run dry)

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/


Darl
Posts: 31
Joined: 2006-07-12
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

Humanzy, did you just bash genghis khan!? You shouldn't. He was one of the fairest rulers of all the middle ages. He created the first central bank, the first paper money system, he erradicated the notorious 'assasins guild' He brought peace and prosperity to areas that had never even known of such things. Yes, he conquered by the sword, but his justice was fair justice. He was the first ruler to institute complete religious freedom(that's right, america wasn't the first). He created the first major trade routs between east, west and middle east. Without him, the dark ages would have lasted much longer, because his trade routes established a trade of not only goods but also ideas and technologies between both worlds. ANd he was an HONEST conquerer. What about all the christian nations during the Imperial period? Where Great Britain took control of China be feeding them tons of drugs, among numeous other atrocities(this includes the other european nations during imperialism) You call him a barbarian, but though he was effective with using symbols and excellent combat tactics, he was a much better and fairer man than almost any good 'god fearing christian' ruler of the time, let alone throughout the ages. Find me a good christian conquerer that had morals anywhere NEAR that. Nono, before you bash Genghis Kahn, do your research.


applesforadam
Posts: 151
Joined: 2006-06-27
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

I'd like to give my 2 cents on the idea that "Mankind is a species of war. Get used to it." Mankind is a species of war by choice, not nature. We have fucked up for a good portion of our history because of the abandoment of reason, not because we are genetically programmed to kill each other. Give me examples of wars, regardless of what they were fought over, that were inevidible, or couldn't have been avoided by the use of rational thought as opposed to swords and guns. And I mean on both sides, not just the side that was truly justified in using force as a means of defense for themselves or others from force.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Re: What if humans never formed relgions.

Quote:

No the war was started for Conquest, Charlemange started it a long time before they turned into that. Some people also support the war, some people are fighting it, happily, some people have said we should bomb the Middle east into the stone age, some people even call the humans there 'sand niggers'. Becuase they want excuses to kill them.

Dude where do you get your information from? Charlemange did a British Campgian... 1400 YEARS BEFORE THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR. And that has nothing to do with the Hundred Years War.


random_antitheist
Posts: 38
Joined: 2006-07-22
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

maybe if we never evolved eh? then all wed do is fuck sleep and eat.


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

North Korea, Soviet Union, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein (arguably). I could go on. Quite why theists don't bombard us with this instead of denying Hitler's Catholocism beats me.

I understand you Yanks have real battles to fight and I support this site as a positive step towards an American re-enlightenment. But a sense of perspective must kept. Sure I can imagine a godless utopia, as could Bill Hicks, but so what? I can also imagine a utopia of new-age hippies or even liberal Christians.

Our mission here is secularism - genuine choice of personal belief without presecution or pressure. Our weapon is education. Religion is but one of many symptoms and/or drivers of our enemies: prejudice and ignorance.


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
What if humans never formed relgions.

rickyroma wrote:
u_nion

An automatic underscore fix to the "union" problem! Very nice touch, RRS. lol Laughing out loud