What would convince you of a God(s)'s existance

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
What would convince you of a God(s)'s existance

You keep asking for proof of a God, what type of proof would be required?

 

Notice how I said 'a God(s)'s' not neccesarly the Christian God.


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
There have been many

There have been many threads regarding this issue.  I believe a few members have also written rather detailed essays on this too, though I could be wrong about that. 

 

If god takes life he's an indian giver


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
There have been many

[MOD EDIT - duplicate post removed]

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: There

pariahjane wrote:

There have been many threads regarding this issue.  I believe a few members have also written rather detailed essays on this too, though I could be wrong about that. 

 

 

Links?


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I'd have to see direct

I'd have to see direct evidence.


mindspread
mindspread's picture
Posts: 360
Joined: 2007-02-18
User is offlineOffline
   Healing an amputee

 

 Healing an amputee would be a good start.

 

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Counter question:    What

Counter question:

   What would it take for you not to believe?


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
What would it take for you

What would it take for you to believe in Vishnu?


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Counter

BGH wrote:

Counter question:

   What would it take for you not to believe?

 

If someone answers my question with a counter question without answering the original question. That'll convince me

 

Serious answer: When science fills the 'gaps'

 

Yes I am a man of 'God of gaps'


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
the question i would have

the question i would have to ask is why does it matter to you? even if god appeared before me and spoke to me and showed me miracles, i still wouldn't bow to him.

there's a list a mile long of horrific events and tragedies that, if god did indeed exist, he should have prevented.  at the absolute minimum god should have stopped his own priests from sexually abusing children. why would i ever worship a supposedly all knowing, all seeing, all powerful deity that sat idly by while a child was being raped by one of his own servants in one his own churches?

it's disgusting that christians continue pray to "god" after these events came to light. by doing so they are essentially endorsing a supreme pedophyle.

 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

There have been many threads regarding this issue.  I believe a few members have also written rather detailed essays on this too, though I could be wrong about that. 

Links?

Ok, I admit it, my computer skills aren't exactly that great.  I don't think I imbed them probably or something.  Can anyone else help? 

If god takes life he's an indian giver


NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
Posts: 265
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
god, would convince me of

god, would convince me of the existence of god.  that's about it, b/c if it was god he would know how to convince me.

No Gods, Know Peace.


caseagainstfaith
Silver Member
caseagainstfaith's picture
Posts: 202
Joined: 2006-09-10
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You keep asking for proof of a God, what type of proof would be required?

 Here is one possibility:  stop the earth from turning for some amount of time, then start it up again, with no ill effects on anything.  After all, God supposedly has done that before, per the Bible.  So why not again?

 Ninjatux's answer of God would know what I would need to be convinced is a good answer as well. It might sound like a cop-out, but, really, its not.  It is prefectly rational for me to doubt the unlikely.  Even if I'm wrong, it is still rational!  For example, there are good reasons to doubt alien abduction stories.  If, in the unlikely event that some are real, it is still reasonable for me to doubt it.  I don't sit around asking myself "gee, what would it take to convince myself that alien abductions are real?"  Probably neither do you.  As Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary events require extraordinary evidence".

 


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Serious answer: When science fills the 'gaps'

 Yes I am a man of 'God of gaps'

Why fill the "gaps" with anything? "I don't know" is a valid, acceptable answer.

 

I can tell you what WOULD NOT convince me of god... "gaps". Just because there are these so-called gaps does not mean god is there. 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Why fill the

BGH wrote:
Why fill the "gaps" with anything? "I don't know" is a valid, acceptable answer.

 

I can tell you what WOULD NOT convince me of god... "gaps". Just because there are these so-called gaps does not mean god is there. 

 

It doesn't mean that he isn't there. Yes I know you probably heard that millions of times, but doesn't it make my believe as rational as yours?


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
No offense, capn, but you

No offense, capn, but you know that the "god of the gaps" is just a variation on a logical fallacy called argument from ignorance, right?

I mean, you're admitting, clear as the nose on my face, that you believe in god because you accept a logical fallacy.

And you wonder why we don't believe?

Nevertheless, you ask a legitimate question, and I believe you do deserve better than a socratic answer.

Naturally, you've heard the saying, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." Well, in a way, that should be self-evident. To put it another way, nothing that could happen naturally is evidence of god. Nothing. Period. Ever. What would be evidence? Something that so completely defied science that it could only have happened illogically. A documented, medically verified account of a priest praying for a double amputee who immediately grew both legs back in less than a minute... that would be a damn good start. Or, maybe if all the guns and rockets in the entire world started exploding into showers of daisies instead of killing people, and a big banner spread across the sky and said, "I am god, and I will not allow you to kill each other again." That would be pretty good proof.

Here's something else you have to consider, capn. Even if someone documents something so irrefutable that it can only point to the existence of a supernatural being, how do you know which one it is unless he happens to leave a signed copy of a pay stub? How do you know it's not Allah? Or, heaven forbid, maybe everybody's had it wrong all along, and nobody's ever heard of this god before?! Maybe god doesn't care that people believe in lots of other deities. Maybe earth is just one bacterial culture in a line of cosmic petri dishes a billion galaxies long, and god hasn't bothered to check in for the last 30,000 years since we learned to make axes!

The point is, capn, that your god, just like everybody else's god, is believed in out of faith, tradition, and ignorance. So, what we come back to is that believing in a god is something that just doesn't make much sense. I'm happy to answer your question of what it would take, even though there's a great possibility that even now, you are shaking your head, wondering why I couldn't just answer you with a straight answer.

That's the thing. This is a completely honest, straight answer. It would take, literally, a miracle! Something that absolutely could not happen naturally.

It's not a dumb question to ask, capn. It does, however, beg the question.... "Why don't you disbelieve in your god, since the concept is nonsensical?"

And... in defense of other posters, it does beg the question, "What would it take for you to disbelieve?"

I think if you examine things critically, you will find a double standard, if not hypocricy. In other words, I, and most other atheists are perfectly willing to believe in anything that is proven to exist. (Or, disbelieve in something for which there is no evidence! I suspect few people on this board believe in the Loch Ness Monster, for instance.) However, you are unwilling to even consider the possibility that you are mistaken and that your god doesn't exist. Why? It's different for everybody, but most commonly, it's fear and ignorance.

Have you read Darwin? What about Sagan, or Hawkings? Do you know what the evidence for evolution is? Really... do you know? Have you ever studied logic? Even a little? Have you ever tried to work out your belief in god as a logical equation? Are you afraid to try?

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:
Why fill the "gaps" with anything? "I don't know" is a valid, acceptable answer.

I can tell you what WOULD NOT convince me of god... "gaps". Just because there are these so-called gaps does not mean god is there. 

It doesn't mean that he isn't there. Yes I know you probably heard that millions of times, but doesn't it make my believe as rational as yours?

are you comparing the belief of "I don't know" to well god did it until otherwise found out.  Why are you putting something that doesn't have an explaination behind things you already don't understand.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
"..but doesn't it make my

"..but doesn't it make my believe as rational as yours?"

 

i don't think there's anything remotely rational about belief in a higher power. if an adult friend told you they sincerely believed that a little fairy went around exchanging coins for children's teeth, would you say that's completely rational? or would you recommend couseling? 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
Posts: 261
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
How about testable

How about testable reproducable evidence. You know, the stuff that proves stuff exists. We don't believe simply because, if something has no evidence it is ignorant to believe in such a thing, you just take the position "It might exist, however no one should believe until proven true"  stance.  You however take the ignorant I want an imaginary friend for everything, just because someone else can not explain it at the moment. God is not an explaination for anything, it's a straw which you love you grab and hold on to.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!


rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
Posts: 378
Joined: 2007-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:
Why fill the "gaps" with anything? "I don't know" is a valid, acceptable answer.

 

I can tell you what WOULD NOT convince me of god... "gaps". Just because there are these so-called gaps does not mean god is there. 

 

It doesn't mean that he isn't there. Yes I know you probably heard that millions of times, but doesn't it make my believe as rational as yours?

Actually, it's intellectually dishonest. The problem with gaps is that you could fill them with anything, and as long as there is a lack of knowledge, you can't be shown wrong. Why not fill the gaps with a great wizard, or alien warlords? To claim that you have an answer to a question that cannot yet be answered is just a lie. The only thing to claim when knowledge fails is 'I don't know'.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.


Maragon
Maragon's picture
Posts: 351
Joined: 2007-04-01
User is offlineOffline
"Yes I am a man of 'God of

"Yes I am a man of 'God of gaps'"

 

Almost everything we know today through the power and knowledge of science was a 'gap' 50, 100, 1000 years ago.

 

'God' used to control and rule things that we now understand to be merely scientific processes.

 

Your gaps are getting smaller, and the modern image of 'God' is a pale comparison to what he was 2000 years ago. 


NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
Posts: 265
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote:   Your gaps

Maragon wrote:
 

Your gaps are getting smaller, and the modern image of 'God' is a pale comparison to what he was 2000 years ago.

 

Try 12 minutes ago... 

No Gods, Know Peace.


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You keep asking for proof of a God, what type of proof would be required?

Why do you think there's a god?

 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
Since it's impossible to

Since it's impossible to disprove something, especially an idea outlined as something inherently unfalsifiable, literally every proposition ever conceived joins the “god of the gaps” in the pantheon of indeterminate possibilities. It's not a particularly satisfying position.


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Links?

Ok, I admit it, my computer skills aren't exactly that great. I don't think I imbed them probably or something. Can anyone else help?

pariahjane, just copy and paste the URL into the comment.  Be sure there are a couple of spaces before the URL and that you press the enter or "new line" key after it. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Strafio
Strafio's picture
Posts: 1346
Joined: 2006-09-11
User is offlineOffline
I'd first need to understand

I'd first need to understand what God is and then why it is necessary to believe in him. It's difficult to talk about what would be evidence of God until we understand exactly what God is.

It is my suspicion that most theists don't really understand what they mean by the word 'God' either...


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1149
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is onlineOnline
Here are a couple of

Here are a couple of previous threads addressing this.  In the 2nd one, the guy who started it pretty much disappeared after people started giving examples.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/5574

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/5098

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
Posts: 280
Joined: 2006-11-08
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You keep asking for proof of a God, what type of proof would be required?

 

Notice how I said 'a God(s)'s' not neccesarly the Christian God.

I'd say he'd need to drop out of the sky and right into my backyard while I'm having my morning smoke.  Yeah, that'd do it for me.

Honestly, anything would prove the existance of god to me because all I'm getting right now is the alternative: nothing. 

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine


kmisho
kmisho's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2006-08-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You keep asking for proof of a God, what type of proof would be required?

Notice how I said 'a God(s)'s' not neccesarly the Christian God.

I don't ask for proof of god. I'm still waiting for 2 things:

1) For anyone's idea of a god to make sense. None do.

2) Assuming some god-idea makes sense, I'm waiting for the first shred of evidence even hinting at the existence of the  thing.

If I had some evidence, I might consider the existence of god an interesting question. That's right: I do not think the question "does god exist" is even an interesting question yet! Then on finding the issue to be interesting, I would search for more evidence. After this I would temporarily settle on a likely determiniation from my own perspective.

All of this would have to happen before I would even begin to entertain the notion of needing "proof."


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:
Why fill the "gaps" with anything? "I don't know" is a valid, acceptable answer.

 

I can tell you what WOULD NOT convince me of god... "gaps". Just because there are these so-called gaps does not mean god is there.

It doesn't mean that he isn't there. Yes I know you probably heard that millions of times, but doesn't it make my believe as rational as yours?

No, in fact it doesn't.  


Temper Mental
Temper Mental's picture
Posts: 26
Joined: 2007-04-21
User is offlineOffline
As said by Jesus  (Matthew

As said by Jesus  (Matthew 17:20):

"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. "

I think that might do it for me.  Contrary to this statement, no mountains have ever been moved directly from one place to another!  And don't give me any crap about compression of continental plates causing mountains to move cause we both know that's not what I mean!

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Let us pray that all the hungry children in the world will be fed and peace be spread throughout the entire world. Amen.
*Incoherent speaking*
What do you mean it is not your will to feed the children of the world?!


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Quote: As said by Jesus

Quote:

As said by Jesus  (Matthew 17:20):

"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. "

I think that might do it for me.  Contrary to this statement, no mountains have ever been moved directly from one place to another! 

 

 

Well there's compression of continental plates causing mountains to move.

 

Quote:
 

 And don't give me any crap about compression of continental plates causing mountains to move cause we both know that's not what I mean!

 

 

ahhh crap.


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1149
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is onlineOnline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
 

Well there's compression of continental plates causing mountains to move.

But I don't recall it every being attributed to mustard seeds. 

 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You keep asking for proof of a God, what type of proof would be required?

 Notice how I said 'a God(s)'s' not neccesarly the Christian God.

I have a new answer... a neverending taco.

I start eating and never finish, come back two days later more taco, freshness in every bite. That would convince me of god. Can he make a good flour tortilla? What am I saying, he is omnimax, he can do anything. 


kmisho
kmisho's picture
Posts: 298
Joined: 2006-08-18
User is offlineOffline
Temper Mental wrote: As

Temper Mental wrote:

As said by Jesus  (Matthew 17:20):

"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. "

I think that might do it for me.  Contrary to this statement, no mountains have ever been moved directly from one place to another!  And don't give me any crap about compression of continental plates causing mountains to move cause we both know that's not what I mean!

You gave me one idea of what could convince me there is a god. It would be if "nothing will be impossible" for me. If nothing was impossible for me I would believe in god, because he'd be me.


Temper Mental
Temper Mental's picture
Posts: 26
Joined: 2007-04-21
User is offlineOffline
kmisho wrote: Temper

kmisho wrote:
Temper Mental wrote:

As said by Jesus  (Matthew 17:20):

"For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. "

I think that might do it for me.  Contrary to this statement, no mountains have ever been moved directly from one place to another!  And don't give me any crap about compression of continental plates causing mountains to move cause we both know that's not what I mean!

You gave me one idea of what could convince me there is a god. It would be if "nothing will be impossible" for me. If nothing was impossible for me I would believe in god, because he'd be me.

Brilliant

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Let us pray that all the hungry children in the world will be fed and peace be spread throughout the entire world. Amen.
*Incoherent speaking*
What do you mean it is not your will to feed the children of the world?!


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: I have a new

BGH wrote:

I have a new answer... a neverending taco.

I start eating and never finish, come back two days later more taco, freshness in every bite. That would convince me of god. Can he make a good flour tortilla? What am I saying, he is omnimax, he can do anything. 

 

 

Now that's just getting greedy. Laughing


RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
Posts: 358
Joined: 2007-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:
Why fill the "gaps" with anything? "I don't know" is a valid, acceptable answer.

I can tell you what WOULD NOT convince me of god... "gaps". Just because there are these so-called gaps does not mean god is there. 

It doesn't mean that he isn't there. Yes I know you probably heard that millions of times, but doesn't it make my believe as rational as yours?

 

No it is not as rational. Saying I don't know is the truth. Making things up is called a delusion. It's kind of like saying Iraq has WMD's. Very irrational and made up. Just because we didn't know yes or no, we made something up. Why not fill your gap with the flying spaghetti monstor, the tooth fairy, or any other made up entity??

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."


John Pritzlaff
Posts: 4
Joined: 2007-03-15
User is offlineOffline
Any kind of direct,

Any kind of direct, unambiguous evidence would be enough.  Something like an undeniable miracle that millions witness, or an angel or something. 


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: BGH

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
BGH wrote:

I have a new answer... a neverending taco.

I start eating and never finish, come back two days later more taco, freshness in every bite. That would convince me of god. Can he make a good flour tortilla? What am I saying, he is omnimax, he can do anything.

 Now that's just getting greedy. Laughing

No, that's killing two birds with one stone:

I am hungry and the taco would fix that.

Christians and other theists want to prove god, the taco would fix that. 


Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
Posts: 56
Joined: 2007-04-25
User is offlineOffline
Can I hijack this a little?

Can I hijack this a little? Would any of you atheists, if witness to a cosmic magical  figure landing on earth that performed miracles and claimed to be god or some agent of it, believe it?
Many christian groups would see the first  confirmation of the divine and  run screaming about the anti-christ. Others would clamor over finally being vindicated. Honestly, they'd probably spend more time fighting with  each other than paying it attention, unless it intervened.
(but maybe its an alien from one of those newfound planets taking advantage of our superstition!)

Not so much of a request for serious reply, just musing.

Mike Gravel for president!


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Avecrien wrote: Can I

Avecrien wrote:

Can I hijack this a little? Would any of you atheists, if witness to a cosmic magical figure landing on earth that performed miracles and claimed to be god or some agent of it, believe it?
Many christian groups would see the first confirmation of the divine and run screaming about the anti-christ. Others would clamor over finally being vindicated. Honestly, they'd probably spend more time fighting with each other than paying it attention, unless it intervened.
(but maybe its an alien from one of those newfound planets taking advantage of our superstition!)

Not so much of a request for serious reply, just musing.

If I saw it with my eyes I might believe it, but I certainly wouldn't worship it.

There would have to be very, very good reasons to worship, like maybe a neverending taco.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
cpt... I'm a little sad

cpt...

I'm a little sad that i put a good 30 minutes of my life into giving you a thorough and honest answer to your question, and you haven't even addressed it.

I'm genuinely interested in your answers to the questions I asked directly, and whether or not you have any response to my answer.  Do you think I'm being unreasonable in expecting something demonstrably supernatural (sic!) as proof of the supernatural (sic!)?

What would it take you to disbelieve?

Why do you believe even though it looks just like every other myth?

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
You answered my question it

You answered my question it is only fair I answer yours.

Quote:

No offense, capn, but you know that the "god of the gaps" is just a variation on a logical fallacy called argument from ignorance, right?

I mean, you're admitting, clear as the nose on my face, that you believe in god because you accept a logical fallacy.

And you wonder why we don't believe?

I wouldn't consider it a fallacy per say. Now you may say that one could apply that logic to the existance of say Sailor Moon.

However, look at early views of science. Did they think black holes existed? Probability waves? No. They had no evidence for or against these concepts.

Now, what would have happened if they said 'Screw it, we have no evidence for these things, therefore in all likelyhood they don't exist'?

Quote:

Nevertheless, you ask a legitimate question, and I believe you do deserve better than a socratic answer.

Naturally, you've heard the saying, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." Well, in a way, that should be self-evident. To put it another way, nothing that could happen naturally is evidence of god. Nothing. Period. Ever. What would be evidence? Something that so completely defied science that it could only have happened illogically. A documented, medically verified account of a priest praying for a double amputee who immediately grew both legs back in less than a minute... that would be a damn good start. Or, maybe if all the guns and rockets in the entire world started exploding into showers of daisies instead of killing people, and a big banner spread across the sky and said, "I am god, and I will not allow you to kill each other again." That would be pretty good proof.

Excellent at least you answered my question.

Quote:

Here's something else you have to consider, capn. Even if someone documents something so irrefutable that it can only point to the existence of a supernatural being, how do you know which one it is unless he happens to leave a signed copy of a pay stub? How do you know it's not Allah? Or, heaven forbid, maybe everybody's had it wrong all along, and nobody's ever heard of this god before?! Maybe god doesn't care that people believe in lots of other deities. Maybe earth is just one bacterial culture in a line of cosmic petri dishes a billion galaxies long, and god hasn't bothered to check in for the last 30,000 years since we learned to make axes!

Some good points here but let me say this:

 Allah, Jehovah, whatever have one thing in common. God. I believe while these are different names for God and they all have their own interputations of God they share one common belive:God.

 Basically to answer your question as to which one: All of them. 

Quote:

The point is, capn, that your god, just like everybody else's god, is believed in out of faith, tradition, and ignorance. So, what we come back to is that believing in a god is something that just doesn't make much sense. I'm happy to answer your question of what it would take, even though there's a great possibility that even now, you are shaking your head, wondering why I couldn't just answer you with a straight answer.

 

See answer above.

Quote:

That's the thing. This is a completely honest, straight answer. It would take, literally, a miracle! Something that absolutely could not happen naturally.

Ask yourself: If something did happen would you say "I believe in God now" or "There MUST be a logical explanation"?

 

Quote:

It's not a dumb question to ask, capn. It does, however, beg the question.... "Why don't you disbelieve in your god, since the concept is nonsensical?"

Why don't you disbelieve probability waves or other dimensions because it is 'nonsensical'? 

Quote:

And... in defense of other posters, it does beg the question, "What would it take for you to disbelieve?"

If God came down to me and said: "I don't exist."

Seriously maybe I just might as I expand my education. 

Quote:
 

I think if you examine things critically, you will find a double standard, if not hypocricy. In other words, I, and most other atheists are perfectly willing to believe in anything that is proven to exist. (Or, disbelieve in something for which there is no evidence! I suspect few people on this board believe in the Loch Ness Monster, for instance.) However, you are unwilling to even consider the possibility that you are mistaken and that your god doesn't exist. Why? It's different for everybody, but most commonly, it's fear and ignorance.

Well as people say science is not 100%. While I use this excuse, it may blow up in my face. What if science was wrong in 'right' ways so to speak? What if everything did fall into a neat little explanition without the requirement of God and we just haven't seen it yet? 

Quote:

Have you read Darwin? What about Sagan, or Hawkings? Do you know what the evidence for evolution is? Really... do you know? Have you ever studied logic? Even a little? Have you ever tried to work out your belief in god as a logical equation? Are you afraid to try?

Yes I know and believe in evolution. As for logical equation., no I have not.

 

[Edit:Added points]


Temper Mental
Temper Mental's picture
Posts: 26
Joined: 2007-04-21
User is offlineOffline
By the way, pineapple is my

By the way, pineapple is my favorite fruit.


NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
Posts: 265
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:You

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You answered my question it is only fair I answer yours.

...

I wouldn't consider it a fallacy per say.

Just because you want to call a cat a fish doesn't make it so...it is a logical fallacy. Your acceptance of the definition doesn't change the definition.
Quote:

...

However, look at early views of science. Did they think black holes existed? Probability waves? No. They had no evidence for or against these concepts.

Actually both of those things were initially proposed and then theoretically verified through either calculations or experimentation.
Quote:

Now, what would have happened if they said 'Screw it, we have no evidence for these things, therefore in all likelyhood they don't exist'?

Wow, your blazing insight amazes me. Nope, sorry that was just the pizza I had earlier. Again you forget the scientific method where the original hypothesis has to be falsifiable. Your hypothesis isn't provable much less falsifiable.
Quote:

Some good points here but let me say this:

Allah, Jehovah, whatever have one thing in common. God. I believe while these are different names for God and they all have their own interputations of God they share one common belive:God.

Basically to answer your question as to which one: All of them.

So, Zeus, Jupiter, Ra, One-Hunahpu (which is a particularly warm and fuzzy god). Oh or were you just talking about the judeo-christo-islamic god and all the cognatively dissonant sects there-of....Personally, I think the tribe in South America (I can't remember which one) that worshipped guinea pigs and then ate them. I have great god, he's low fat and less filling...Too many gods that are too distinct for that weak argument to work..

Quote:
See answer above.

See refutation above

Quote:

Ask yourself: If something did happen would you say "I believe in God now" or "There MUST be a logical explanation"?

logical explanations: 973,235,235 and counting

God:0

I'll go with option number one, and remember that my response was If god existed he would know. Don't question your god, he doesn't like that.

 

Quote:

Why don't you disbelieve probability waves or other dimensions because it is 'nonsensical'?

Um...no because they have been proven to exist...D.A.

Quote:

If God came down to me and said: "I don't exist."

Seriously maybe I just might as I expand my education.

you may want to start your education first.

Quote:

Well as people say science is not 100%. While I use this excuse, it may blow up in my face. What if science was wrong in 'right' ways so to speak? What if everything did fall into a neat little explanition without the requirement of God and we just haven't seen it yet?

I'm sorry, I only respond to posts in English...BGH little help o nthe translation...

Quote:

Yes I know and believe in evolution. As for logical equation., no I have not.

I think evolution got mad at you and took it's punctuated equilibrium back.

 

{edited for typos; dyslexia sucks} 

 

No Gods, Know Peace.


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1149
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is onlineOnline
Pineapple

Temper Mental wrote:
By the way, pineapple is my favorite fruit.

And remember, pineapple is the christian's horror movie

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: I'm sorry,

NinjaTux wrote:

I'm sorry, I only respond to posts in English...BGH little help o nthe translation...

I am working on a pineapple to english translation code right now. I don't think this will be as difficult as "mythman" speak though. I will get back to you when I get finished. 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
...Okay what exactly do you

...Okay what exactly do you need clearing up on?

 


NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
Posts: 265
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: NinjaTux

BGH wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:

I'm sorry, I only respond to posts in English...BGH little help o nthe translation...

I am working on a pineapple to english translation code right now. I don't think this will be as difficult as "mythman" speak though. I will get back to you when I get finished.

Wishkah says you're her Hiro....now we just have to get you a sword...[I took license with the spelling...] 

No Gods, Know Peace.


NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
Posts: 265
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

...Okay what exactly do you need clearing up on?

 

 

rephrase please: What if science was wrong in 'right' ways so to speak? What if everything did fall into a neat little explanition without the requirement of God and we just haven't seen it yet?

No Gods, Know Peace.