Why is Homosexuality Still Wrong? (Moved from the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum)

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is Homosexuality Still Wrong? (Moved from the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum)

i really hope this is in the right place but i shall go ahead for now.

I dont have a bible handy on me right now , but i am pretty sure that the only ruling agains Homosexuality was in the old testament.

so my question is since you guys and girls keeps aying the old testament rules dont count anymore since jesus sacrficed himself. why is homosexuality seen as wrong?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
Also, Razorphreak, do you know anyone in the GLBT community?

Yes. And yes they are more than acquaintances...and yes we do not agree on this very issue but we respect each other none the less because they know me as a person.

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:
while i certainly appreciate that you wouldn't support having me killed (you're too kind, really), i just can't get thrilled that you'd support having me be less than equal to you. now if it makes you feel better to insist to yourself and others that by voting to deny gays the right to marry their partner, you are not denying anyone rights, then you go right ahead. i wouldn't want my rights to get in the way of you feeling warm and fuzzy about yourself.

Not exactly sure what you want me to tell you.

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
Only a person who has never interrogated their privilege or the fact that they belong to a hegemonic community would put forth that their opposition to equal rights doesn't "[deny a] person any individual rigths to live in peace irregardless [sic] of their choice".

Like I said, replace same-sex marraige with interracial marraige, or integration ...

Conn, I'm Latino of Mexican background. In today's society, you think I don't know what that means? You forget that I know what it means to be singled out because of my complexion and/or surname. Comparing same sex marriage to racial segregation is not only fallacious in nature, it's ignorant as well. No one is telling a gay man to not drink from a water fountain or denying him the rights as a U.S. citizen. No one is telling a gay couple you can't be together in the privacy of your home or denying you medical assistance in a time of need because of your gender or race.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Conn,

razorphreak wrote:

Conn, I'm Latino of Mexican background. In today's society, you think I don't know what that means? You forget that I know what it means to be singled out because of my complexion and/or surname. Comparing same sex marriage to racial segregation is not only fallacious in nature, it's ignorant as well.

It's neither.  The point was that if you agree that homosexual people dont deserve the same rights as heterosexuals, then what's wrong with denying rights to people of different ethnicities?  I dont care how you choose to candy-coat it, if you say you would vote against gay marriage, then you might as well say black people shouldnt be allowed to get driver's licenses.  All men are created equal.  You're in or you're out.   

Quote:
No one is telling a gay man to not drink from a water fountain or denying him the rights as a U.S. citizen. No one is telling a gay couple you can't be together in the privacy of your home or denying you medical assistance in a time of need because of your gender or race.

On what section of Fantasy Island do you reside?  There are people all over this country that would do EXACTLY that if given the opportunity.  Once you decide that gay people dont deserve the same rights as others in the matters of domestic partnerships(which are absolutely "rights of a U.S. citizen), why not remove their right to vote?  Or vote to have separate bathrooms?   You're pushing for separate but equal.  It's a lie, and it's been proven.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: No one

razorphreak wrote:
No one is telling a gay couple you can't be together in the privacy of your home or denying you medical assistance in a time of need because of your gender or race.

No, they're just denied the right to marry, the ability toadopt children, the right visit their partners in hospitals, tax breaks and exemptions that straight couples get, they can legally be fired in 38 states because they happen to be gay, deal with people who think that being gay is a choice, up until 2003 they have to live their sex lives around unconstitutional sodomy laws in 8 states and hear their President say that we should amend the constitution of the United States to protect the real immoral position here - that homosexuality, and by extension, same sex marraige is wrong. 

All analogies are flawed, but it is certainly not fellacious to argue that there is discrimination going on here and its comparable to the plight of people of color in this country - you were born hispanic, my friend David was born gay - these are realities you cannot change and our standard of decency should evolve to meet the growing revalation that the gender/sexual binary is a pernicious myth.

You said it yourself, as an Hispanic-American, you have faced discrimination ... how can then turn around a practice it passive aggressively?

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Up to

razorphreak wrote:

Up to this point I've tried from keeping it an "all or nothing" issue in that I do not believe gay marriage is tied to the rights of an individual. Because those of you who do not agree with me are making it, then I have to state it in your terms....

When I've said in the past that you hate the sin but not the sinner, I've made it plain that I do not agree with the lifestyle of a homosexual. In the example of Jesus when men brought to him a woman caught in the act of adultery, he did not condemn her as a man when the others sought to stone her. He did make it very plain to her not to sin again. It is by my faith that I believe I cannot allow any law that would promote a lifestyle which I believe to be a sin but that does not mean I would stand by and watch that individual be beaten or attacked for that lifestyle. If you believe that I am denying that person their rights then it is what it is although I do not believe I am denying that person any individual rights to live in peace irregardless of their choice.

Have you had a chance to read all that was given to you on this thread?  I believe it was Lynette who had a link to a very thorough website.  Because you don't agree about who a person should love, because your Bible tells you so, you feel that you've done the righteous, the correct thing by voting against gay marriage.  You feel you've done the right thing by stopping homosexual couples from getting the same benefits and protections as heterosexual couples.  These people aren't asking to be married in your church, they're asking that they be recognized as partners.  That means if one partner becomes ill, the other can attend to them in a hospital.  There was a case in NJ where a lesbian police officer had terminal cancer and fought to have her lifelong partner receive her pension after her death.  And you think that's ok? If they were married in the eyes of the state, this woman would not have had to fight to her dying day to make sure the person she loved was protected.  In my opinion, that's just cruel.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: then you

Roisin Dubh wrote:
then you might as well say black people shouldnt be allowed to get driver's licenses. All men are created equal. You're in or you're out.

No you are saying this...not me. 

Roisin Dubh wrote:
On what section of Fantasy Island do you reside? There are people all over this country that would do EXACTLY that if given the opportunity. Once you decide that gay people dont deserve the same rights as others in the matters of domestic partnerships(which are absolutely "rights of a U.S. citizen), why not remove their right to vote? Or vote to have separate bathrooms? You're pushing for separate but equal. It's a lie, and it's been proven.

I didn't say people don't do it now, I said that I don't do it as a Chrsitian.  If I walked in on a gay couple making out or engaged in being a couple, I don't sit there and think of how I can deny them their right to exist as they are.  I don't wait in the parking lot to throw a bottle across their head yelling "faggot" or whatever other demeaning slur you can think of.

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
No, they're just denied the right to marry, the ability toadopt children, the right visit their partners in hospitals, tax breaks and exemptions that straight couples get, they can legally be fired in 38 states because they happen to be gay, deal with people who think that being gay is a choice, up until 2003 they have to live their sex lives around unconstitutional sodomy laws in 8 states and hear their President say that we should amend the constitution of the United States to protect the real immoral position here - that homosexuality, and by extension, same sex marraige is wrong.

All analogies are flawed, but it is certainly not fellacious to argue that there is discrimination going on here and its comparable to the plight of people of color in this country - you were born hispanic, my friend David was born gay - these are realities you cannot change and our standard of decency should evolve to meet the growing revalation that the gender/sexual binary is a pernicious myth.

You said it yourself, as an Hispanic-American, you have faced discrimination ... how can then turn around a practice it passive aggressively?

I never said there isn't discrimination going around right now.  I know there is...I'm not an idiot.  I mean hell we say that those of other races are not denied jobs or opportunities and we know that not to be true.

I wrote up other examples and thought of even more but I know they won't make a difference which is why I won't post them.  Being a woman or being afro-american or latino is not living in sin.  Being homosexual is.  It does not make you any less of a person to me but I am not the one whom you'd have to answer to at the end.  Because I am against sin, how can I support a sinful act?  I do not condone the sinner but I cannot agree with the sin.  If you choose to engage in the sin no matter what I tell you, knowing full well that I do not support your actions, do you expect me to support legislation that supports your actions?  It's not about you but your actions to which I regard as immoral (just as incest or premarital sex which is why there is legislation against those).

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
How do you know

How do you know homosexuality is sinful?

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: No you

razorphreak wrote:

No you are saying this...not me.

It doesnt matter that you didnt respond with a real answer, we know your stance already. You are, no matter how you want to reconcile it your head, against equal rights for all people in this country. And that's just one of the reasons why we atheists can't stand religion.

Quote:
I didn't say people don't do it now, I said that I don't do it as a Chrsitian. If I walked in on a gay couple making out or engaged in being a couple, I don't sit there and think of how I can deny them their right to exist as they are. I don't wait in the parking lot to throw a bottle across their head yelling "faggot" or whatever other demeaning slur you can think of.

You as an individual may not, but yours and other religions are the basis for it happening worldwide.

Quote:
I wrote up other examples and thought of even more but I know they won't make a difference which is why I won't post them. Being a woman or being afro-american or latino is not living in sin. Being homosexual is.

Ah yes, the always fun selective bible quotations. It's a complete load of crap. If you believe that homosexuality is a sin, then you believe that non-virgins should be stoned to death, et al. You, like 99.999999999999999% of theists, think you can pick and choose which parts of the bible are literal and which are not.

Quote:
It does not make you any less of a person to me but I am not the one whom you'd have to answer to at the end. Because I am against sin, how can I support a sinful act? I do not condone the sinner but I cannot agree with the sin. If you choose to engage in the sin no matter what I tell you, knowing full well that I do not support your actions, do you expect me to support legislation that supports your actions? It's not about you but your actions to which I regard as immoral (just as incest or premarital sex which is why there is legislation against those).

With the exception of some archaic laws on some state books that are not enforced in reality, where is there any legislation against premarital sex?

Out of curiosity, Razorphreak, if there were a bill that would make premarital sex illegal, what would be your stance on it?

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote:

Roisin Dubh wrote:
You as an individual may not, but yours and other religions are the basis for it happening worldwide.

And I can't speak for the other individuals who get it wrong day after day....all I can do is if I am there try to prevent them.

Roisin Dubh wrote:
It's a complete load of crap. If you believe that homosexuality is a sin, then you believe that non-virgins should be stoned to death, et al. You, like 99.999999999999999% of theists, think you can pick and choose which parts of the bible are literal and which are not.

Ah but see now you are mixing OT with NT which is where lies a huge difference for Christians.

Roisin Dubh wrote:
With the exception of some archaic laws on some state books that are not enforced in reality, where is there any legislation against premarital sex?

Out of curiosity, Razorphreak, if there were a bill that would make premarital sex illegal, what would be your stance on it?

I misspoke before and didn't get a chance to correct it. I mean to say statutory rape, not premarital sex. My mistake...for some reason that's what I was thinking but not typing.

Your question though is valid....my opinion based on my faith on this would be when a woman gives herself to a man they become one flesh hence married in the eyes of God. Now I have a feeling that premarital sex might take on a different point of view if you were considered married after one night. It is not right for a man to have sex with a woman when he knows his intention is get in get off get out.

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
How do you know homosexuality is sinful?

Do I really have to repost the bible verse? 

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
But Biblical proscriptions

But Biblical proscriptions whether written down in the OT or the NT don't apply to anyone besides the ancient Israelites and their descendents.  The Tanakh and the message of the gospels was not a universal doctrine - it was a text book of in-group morality (for the nation of Israel) and out-group hostility (against the near-eastern rival ethno-religious groups.

Or to quote John Hartung (in Love thy Neighbor: the Evolution of In-Group Morality):

Quote:
The world's major religions espouse a moral code which includes injunctions against murder, theft and lying. Or so conventional 19th- and 20th-century Western wisdom would have it. Evidence put forth here argues that this convention is a conceit which does not apply to the West's own religious foundations. In particular, rules against murder, theft, and lying codified by the Ten Commandments were intended to apply only within a cooperating group for the purpose of enabling that group to compete successfully against other groups. In addition, this in-group morality has functioned, both historically and by express intent, to create adverse circumstances between groups by actively promoting murder, theft, and lying as tools of competition. Contemporary efforts to present Judeo-Christian in-group morality as universal morality defy the plain meaning of the texts upon which Judaism and Christianity are based. Accordingly, this effort is ultimately hopeless ...

According to the Gospels, Jesus' declared mission was to reform Judaism, to bring back the spirit of in-group morality that seemed to have given way to sanctimony, observance of rituals, and rigid class distinctions in the face of Roman domination. He stated this repeatedly, even instructing his disciples to avoid out-group members when taking his message to in-group members (e.g., Matthew 10:5-6; RSV): "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel ...

Indeed, for a religion that prides itself on its contradictions and imponderables-like a Holy Ghost who is indefinable by definition and simultaneously one and the same entity as the god of the Israelites and that god's son-Christianity might have done a better job at disguising its own savior's antipathy toward out-group members, especially since the vast majority of Christians would have qualified as out-group members by Jesus' reckoning. Consider the attitude displayed in the following account of an encounter with a left-over Canaanite (Matthew 15:21-28; RSV):

"And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and cried, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." And he answered, "It is not fair to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." She said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." Then Jesus answered her, "O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire." And her daughter was healed instantly."

The assumptions that lie behind the miracle are revealing. They suggest that native inhabitants were tolerated if they perceived themselves as dogs compared to in-group members.9 This made sense because Jesus wanted to restore the Kingdom of David, and it would not do to have thousands of pounds of gold flowing in from foreign nations if in-group members had to sweep their own streets and empty their own bed pans. Day labor would be needed and the option of importing Romanians, Thais, and Filipinos was not yet available (Goell, 1994). Local domestics, satisfied with crumbs that fall from their masters' tables, would be perfect ...

Jesus often used the words neighbor and brother without explicitly indicating that he meant fellow Jews whom he sought to unify. (For a sympathetic and particularly well informed perspective on Jesus and his mission within the context of 1st century Israel, see Vermes, 1973). Ironically, gentile Christians generally infer themselves to be included by these terms, even though many passages make it clear that they were not. For example, consider Matthew 18:15-18, in which Jesus explained to his disciples that Jews who sin against fellow Jews and cannot be made to see the error of their ways should be considered as gentiles because, like gentiles and tax collectors (Jews who collected taxes for the gentile government), they were going to be rejected from heaven.

Saying the Bible condemns homosexuality and asking us to live by it (and you, yourself, as well) is like looking at the rule book of an Elementary School in Rumania and trying to apply it to a major American city.  There is simply no justification for your application of 'the law' ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Also, pardon me if I don't

Also, pardon me if I don't reply before tomorrow ... I'm leaving work now.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK first none of that that

OK first none of that that guy stated can be credible because he used the Revised Standard Version. This translation is riddled with errors and has documented omissions and word changes that are inaccurate to the greek versions. You are really going to have to find a different source for what you are speaking about here because that's one of the WORST sources. (this article explains it decently well: http://www.av1611.org/vance/nrsv_esv.html)

Let me give you a hint...if you want to find anyone who goes to the source using an English version, make sure they are using the NASB as the preferred source or the NIV after that.

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
But Biblical proscriptions whether written down in the OT or the NT don't apply to anyone besides the ancient Israelites and their descendents.

Romans 11:11-12 Again I ask: Did they (he's speaking of the Jews here) stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their fullness bring!

I'm not exactly sure what message you prescribed to here but his conclusions are 100% wrong. It is written that the Gentiles, that is non-Jews, would inherit the word until the Jews do an about face. Hartung's conclusions are incorrect.

Oh, Jesus' message was not to correct Judaism; it was to give everyone a way to reestablish a relationship with God.  He did not come for only the Jews as his helping of the roman solider would not have happened if that were the case.  He helped anyone who repented and believed in him.

Oh man I'm just amazed at the conclusions that guy drew up... 

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I

razorphreak wrote:

I didn't say people don't do it now, I said that I don't do it as a Chrsitian. If I walked in on a gay couple making out or engaged in being a couple, I don't sit there and think of how I can deny them their right to exist as they are. I don't wait in the parking lot to throw a bottle across their head yelling "faggot" or whatever other demeaning slur you can think of.

so? you still want to deny me my rights. what does it matter if you don't want to bash my head in with a bottle? you still want to deny me my rights. what does it matter that you won't call me a "faggot"? you still want to deny me my rights. the way you keep coming back to this idea makes it seem as if you expect us to view this as some kind of consolation to the fact that you want to deny gays the rights of marriage. gotta tell ya, it isn't. doesn't make your position any better, and it doesn't make you look any better. i'm sorry if you don't want to look like a bad guy, but wanting to deny people rights they are entitled to makes you look like a bad guy.

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

i'm sorry if you don't want to look like a bad guy, but wanting to deny people rights they are entitled to makes you look like a bad guy.

I understand what you are saying but my faith in God is what is utmost.  If you are going to curse me because of my God then so be it but my beliefs are not compromising and if that makes me the "bad guy" then so be it; I cannot endorse a way of life that is immoral.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Razorphreak, I realize that

Razorphreak, I realize that some of my messages in this thread look outwardly hostile to you ... I'd like to say that this has more to do with the haste with which I'm writing ... I hope the tone you infer from my posts is not needlessly mean or hostile.  I genuinely care about you and want you to join the growing community of people who believe in equality and love for all people.  So I apologize if you have been offended ... please do not think that the tone of my messages are supposed to be hurtful, that is not my intention.

razorphreak wrote:

OK first none of that that guy stated can be credible because he used the Revised Standard Version.

Actually, he cross referenced the KJV, the JPS (Tanakh) and the RSV ... and what's important here are not the peculiar discrepencies between translated words, but rather the socio-historical reality of what the texts were intended to do - organize and harmonize a breeding in-group so as to conquer lands, kill or enslave out-group members and dominate resources.  He goes right to the Jewish Sages for their interpretation of the scriptures ... again what's important is intentionality and how the texts were to be used.  God did not write the Bible, people wrote the Bible - the mythology of the Bible is not true, but it was useful for the purposes of local/ regional hegemony by the in-group.

razorphreak wrote:
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
But Biblical proscriptions whether written down in the OT or the NT don't apply to anyone besides the ancient Israelites and their descendents.

Romans 11:11-12 Again I ask: Did they (he's speaking of the Jews here) stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their fullness bring!

Ok, but this is from one of Paul's Epistles which is in line with Hartung's argument ... It was Paul that universalized salvation, not Jesus (an historical Jesus probably never existed ...). 

razorphreak wrote:
Oh, Jesus' message was not to correct Judaism; it was to give everyone a way to reestablish a relationship with God.  He did not come for only the Jews as his helping of the roman solider would not have happened if that were the case.  He helped anyone who repented and believed in him.

Remember the story of the Canaanite "dog" (woman) and her daughter in Matthew 15 (NIV):

21Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession." 23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us." 24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." 25The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said. 26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." 27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." 28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

So what if he helped a Roman centurian or a Canaanite "dog"?  He says it himself, he was sent for ONLY the lost sheep of Israel and any action wouldhave sufficiently impressed in-group members that happened to be around.  

The point is, and it should just be said outright, is that your morality is baseless, your conclusion on behavior are wrongheaded and in this country your personal, religious feelings that are contrary to the fundamental principles of the republic should be subordinated.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
Razorphreak, I realize that some of my messages in this thread look outwardly hostile to you ... I'd like to say that this has more to do with the haste with which I'm writing ... I hope the tone you infer from my posts is not needlessly mean or hostile. I genuinely care about you and want you to join the growing community of people who believe in equality and love for all people. So I apologize if you have been offended ... please do not think that the tone of my messages are supposed to be hurtful, that is not my intention.

I'm used to it by now...but thank you Smiling

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
Actually, he cross referenced the KJV, the JPS (Tanakh) and the RSV ... and what's important here are not the peculiar discrepencies between translated words, but rather the socio-historical reality of what the texts were intended to do

Actually those versions not only change the wording but the meaning as well so how can they be considered accurate sources for any kind of intention? It would be like me saying that Darwin's book said tree instead of primate; that totally changes the meaning doesn't it?

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
God did not write the Bible, people wrote the Bible - the mythology of the Bible is not true, but it was useful for the purposes of local/ regional hegemony by the in-group.

Ah the classic argument to which there is no way for me to prove because, technicially, you are correct. However...

2 Peter 1:20-21 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
So what if he helped a Roman centurian or a Canaanite "dog"? He says it himself, he was sent for ONLY the lost sheep of Israel and any action wouldhave sufficiently impressed in-group members that happened to be around.

The lost sheep of Israel are not just Jews but all whom God wishes to serve his will. Jesus knew this which is why he helped all who had faith in him.

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
The point is, and it should just be said outright, is that your morality is baseless, your conclusion on behavior are wrongheaded and in this country your personal, religious feelings that are contrary to the fundamental principles of the republic should be subordinated.

You base this on false arguments and secondly fundamental principles of America are based not on any and all freedoms but on the decisions of the people and if the people are speaking from the grace of God and that word has homosexuality as immoral, there is no contradiction to what America is about.

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:   I

razorphreak wrote:

I understand what you are saying but my faith in God is what is utmost. If you are going to curse me

how did i "curse" you?

razorphreak wrote:
because of my God then so be it but my beliefs are not compromising and if that makes me the "bad guy" then so be it;

that's a much better position than declaring that people are twisting your words around to make you appear hateful. accept that your position is hurtful and offensive to some. don't lie to yourself and pretend that it isn't. i hope you will really think about what people say to you about this matter. and ask yourself how your position does anything but drive people away from your religion. how exactly does doing that serve your god?

razorphreak wrote:

I cannot endorse a way of life that is immoral.

then may i suggest abstaining from that vote should it ever come to your town. and hopefully the politicians will realize that putting people's rights up for popular vote was one of the situations the Constitution was created to avoid.

Rill

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: You

razorphreak wrote:

You base this on false arguments and secondly fundamental principles of America are based not on any and all freedoms but on the decisions of the people and if the people are speaking from the grace of God and that word has homosexuality as immoral, there is no contradiction to what America is about.

there is a contradiction to what the US is about if the decisions of the people wish to undermine the Constitution. the fundamental principles of this country include never forcing anyone to live under the religion of another. your above sentiment flies directly in the face of that. it is a direct contradiction of the what the fundamental principles of this country are.

are you one of those people who belives this country is a pure democracy?

Rill

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

razorphreak wrote:

there is a contradiction to what the US is about if the decisions of the people wish to undermine the Constitution. the fundamental principles of this country include never forcing anyone to live under the religion of another. your above sentiment flies directly in the face of that. it is a direct contradiction of the what the fundamental principles of this country are.

I don't feel like going back through all of the warrantless theist oriented comments that have been made in this thread but I recall one in particular that suggested that gays and lesbians are not being discriminated against because they can get married if they were straight and that a law that simply sets guidelines for what genders can marry one another doesn't affect gay and lesbian couples. The news I received today does more than shatter that into a million peices, it points out just another reason why we should fight till our last breath for equal rights.

A gay woman had a child with her partner. The biological woman didn't want the child so she asked that her ex adopt the child. She attempted to and not only was she denied on the basis of the "gay marriage ban" but she had the child taken away from her simply because of this and put into the FOSTER CARE SYSTEM! Yes, the gay marriage ban that you insist won't hurt anyone. This state (Georgia) doesn't have an no gay adoption law, mind you. To anyone who says that gay marriage bans don't harm anyone or keep gays from doing anything...this one child is just one of 14 million children in gay and lesbian homes. There are more than 20 million gay couples. One out of six gay men and one out of three lesbian couples plan to have children. You're personal opinion isn't just affecting two gay people, but millions of children, too. 

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Religious law in any country and in any form is simply bad law, it's uneducated law. Just ask this little girl thrust into foster care because a judge thought her mother was a sinner and didn't deserve to have children. What's next, sterilization? Oh wait, I already forgot, religious leaders have already started calling for women to participate in in-the-womb alterations if it means not having a queer kid. Case closed on not affecting anyone. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

that's a much better position than declaring that people are twisting your words around to make you appear hateful. accept that your position is hurtful and offensive to some. don't lie to yourself and pretend that it isn't. i hope you will really think about what people say to you about this matter. and ask yourself how your position does anything but drive people away from your religion. how exactly does doing that serve your god?

Would you consider someone who did a gay hate crime immoral (and mind you it doesn't have to be violent, for example not allowing a gay person to drink from specific water fountains)?  I know I do.  Now if you saw a law coming up that made gay hate crimes LEGAL would you stand by and allow it to pass?   You vote according to your beliefs right? 

Keep in mind some people out there today commit gay hate crimes and believe it's the moral thing to do (they are wrong of course but that's their belief).

OK let's take this to another level and say that sin will be defined as an immoral act.  Now that would make a gay hate crime a sin correct?  OK so would you now say that you cannot allow a sin to become law?

Now, is there an immoral act, a sin, that weighs more than another?  Is a sin a sin a sin?  From murder to lying (remember lying is INTENTIONALLY withholding the truth), if all these are immoral acts then is one sin less of an immoral act than another?  I'm not exactly sure how you are going to answer this one but I believe they are not.  They may not deserve the same punishment but a sin is a sin is a sin.

then may i suggest abstaining from that vote should it ever come to your town. and hopefully the politicians will realize that putting people's rights up for popular vote was one of the situations the Constitution was created to avoid.

Now how can I do that if I simply cannot allow an immoral act, a sin, to persist by making it allowable under the law?  If a sin is a sin is a sin we are not talking about religious law but supporting immorality.  I know you consider this hurtful but is it any more hurtful to the individual who choses to be the one that supports a gay hate crime when you don't support his or her actions?  Is that not called "the right thing to do?"

Democracy in a short version is an elected representative form of government that supports the concept of majority rule.  Is that not what we have today?  Last time I checked it is...

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Democracy in a short version is an elected representative form of government that supports the concept of majority rule. Is that not what we have today? Last time I checked it is...

Does religion give the majority the right to be make laws based on their religion? That's what this all boils down to. You're saying sure, if it's the majority opinion. However, if religion is used to dictate public opinion and then become law, do you see the problem here? Last time I checked congress shall make no law respecting religion. Theists are whitewashing an issue as "immoral" or "sinful" because that's religious language but claiming it's because it's _____ (insert falsifiable claim here) and therefore NOT a religious issue. I was once quoted by a theist an entire page on all the reasons that Tony Perkins' "pro-family" group gave as to why gays don't deserve equal rights and I was able to use several studies to debunk EVERY claim he made. I never heard another word from the theist. Why? Because it is what it is. It all boils down to religion dictating public policy. Religion, in this case, Christianity, says an awful lot of heinous bull shit to inflict on people who commit various "sins" but this is the one everyone hyperfocuses on. Why? Because it doesn't AFFECT them. Period. Why focus on the fact that a Christian has had 7 marriages when we can bash queers?  

Last time I checked just because it's a majority doesn't make it right. Under your reasoning, if this was always the case, we'd still have slavery.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the ninth amendment states that we have rights not enumerated within the constitution and that laws are not to disparage any particular group of people. Any law written to keep people OUT of a right (in particular here, marriage rights) would be in direct violation of said amendment. Combine that with the first and constitutionally speaking, any theist point is null and void. 

Think it's wrong, think putting your kid on an alter as a test from god is fine, think stoning people who commit sins is okay but don't think that in a country with people of varying faiths/non-faiths, sexual orientations, etc. that particular groups of people should be disparaged to live under the rule of one religious ideology. We're not living in Afganistan the last time I checked. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Would you consider someone who did a gay hate crime immoral (and mind you it doesn't have to be violent, for example not allowing a gay person to drink from specific water fountains)?  I know I do.  Now if you saw a law coming up that made gay hate crimes LEGAL would you stand by and allow it to pass?   You vote according to your beliefs right? 

The difference is that hate crimes hurt someone and foster inequality.  
However, same sex marriage does not affect your life in any way, certainly does not hurt you and fosters equality of all people.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Would you consider someone who did a gay hate crime immoral (and mind you it doesn't have to be violent, for example not allowing a gay person to drink from specific water fountains)? I know I do. Now if you saw a law coming up that made gay hate crimes LEGAL would you stand by and allow it to pass? You vote according to your beliefs right?

this is the same question you asked me before when you asked me if i would vote to allow thieves to keep the possessions they stole. and my answer is the same. such a law would be unConstitutional. so your comparison fails to make a good parallel with the situation we are discussing. let me see if i can help you out here, though. see, i was a pretty fundamentalist theist for quite a long time. there were a number of things that i found immoral for religious reasons. homosexuality (imagine that), abortion and doctor assisted suicide among them. however, in spite of that, i found that forbidding any of them was not Constitutionally sound, so i never supported a ban on them. and given the opportunity to vote on the issues, i would not have voted to ban them. so, to answer the question you appear to be asking me, which is whether i would behave as you are if we were in the same situation, no, i would not. i have been in the position you are, and i made a very different choice.

razorphreak wrote:

Keep in mind some people out there today commit gay hate crimes and believe it's the moral thing to do (they are wrong of course but that's their belief).

and you would fit into that category based on your loose definition of a hate crime and your desire to deny me my rights based on my sexuality. so are you claiming you yourself are wrong?

razorphreak wrote:

OK let's take this to another level and say that sin will be defined as an immoral act.

i will, for the sake of argument, agree to that definition.

razorphreak wrote:

Now that would make a gay hate crime a sin correct? OK so would you now say that you cannot allow a sin to become law?

i have addressed my position on this above. i'll leave it at that.

razorphreak wrote:

Now, is there an immoral act, a sin, that weighs more than another?

yes.

razorphreak wrote:

Is a sin a sin a sin?

no.

razorphreak wrote:

From murder to lying (remember lying is INTENTIONALLY withholding the truth), if all these are immoral acts then is one sin less of an immoral act than another?

yes.

razorphreak wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how you are going to answer this one but I believe they are not. They may not deserve the same punishment but a sin is a sin is a sin.

besides the reason that a book told you this was so, why do you believe this? and why, if they are all equal, do they not deserve the same punishment? and on that note, doesn't the bible say that all sin has the same punishment? death. sweet guy, your god. 

razorphreak wrote:

Now how can I do that if I simply cannot allow an immoral act, a sin, to persist by making it allowable under the law?

you will not abstain from denying me my rights through a vote, but you will sit by and shrug your shoulders if i am granted my rights by law. i find this inconsistant. do you respect already established law over your faith?

razorphreak wrote:

If a sin is a sin is a sin we are not talking about religious law but supporting immorality.

which is what you would be doing (supporting immorality) if you sat back and accepted a law granting me my rights, correct? how can you accept something you find immoral after it becomes law but not before? seems to me you should be fighting to make homosexuality illegal again. or better yet, fighting to abolish right to free exercise guaranteed in the First Amendment. after all, what could be more immoral than having other gods before yahweh?

razorphreak wrote:

I know you consider this hurtful but is it any more hurtful to the individual who choses to be the one that supports a gay hate crime when you don't support his or her actions? Is that not called "the right thing to do?"

i'm not sure what you are asking here. if you could clarify, i'd appreciate it.

razorphreak wrote:

Democracy in a short version is an elected representative form of government that supports the concept of majority rule. Is that not what we have today? Last time I checked it is...

you might want to check again, because, no, we do not live in a country of majority rule. yes, there are things we handle democratically. yes, there are times when the will of the majority is used as a determining factor, but there are also quite a number of times when the will of the majority is disregarded because it is unConstitutional. and that is the beauty of our system. it is set up to protect everyone. not just the majority. (although it hasn't been doing a very good job of late). so, on the issue of granting me the rights i am entitled to, the majority should not have a say. this country was set up to protect me (as a minority) from the tyranny of the majority. it's a really great system when it works properly.

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

to answer the question you appear to be asking me, which is whether i would behave as you are if we were in the same situation, no, i would not. i have been in the position you are, and i made a very different choice.

As I've stated time and time again, if by the measure of law, if a state in the union decides to legally marry two people of the same gender I will not go around and picket it with some kind of religious zeal. 

and you would fit into that category based on your loose definition of a hate crime and your desire to deny me my rights based on my sexuality. so are you claiming you yourself are wrong?

You didn't make any sense here and what's more you didn't understand me.  But it's not worth trying to repeat it...

Quote:
Now, is there an immoral act, a sin, that weighs more than another?

yes.

Really?  What?  Oh, define yourself in terms of spiritual or Earthly... 

besides the reason that a book told you this was so, why do you believe this? and why, if they are all equal, do they not deserve the same punishment? and on that note, doesn't the bible say that all sin has the same punishment? death. sweet guy, your god.

You don't understand what the new testament teaches and there are several posts in which I'm sure I made that clear.

As far as punishment, spiritually it's up to God so I can't answer what that would be.  Earthly punishment, that is according to law, that does vary.

you will not abstain from denying me my rights through a vote, but you will sit by and shrug your shoulders if i am granted my rights by law. i find this inconsistant. do you respect already established law over your faith?

That's because you don't understand.  It is written in the bible that while on Earth you respect the authorities (I'm sure I put this somewhere in this thread too).  It's not about law vs. faith...never has been.

which is what you would be doing (supporting immorality) if you sat back and accepted a law granting me my rights, correct?

Nope...see above.  And I'll add the point, ONCE AGAIN, it is not my responsibility to either be your spiritual or earthly judge. 

you might want to check again, because, no, we do not live in a country of majority rule.

Really?  So when you see elections, both from voters and in Congress, which side wins?

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Nope...see above. And I'll add the point, ONCE AGAIN, it is not my responsibility to either be your spiritual or earthly judge.

You know, and this is complete point that you simply don't seem to be getting. You're not to be our damned spiritual judge our our earthly judge but if you go to a polling place and you vote for a law that enforces your judgement on other people that's the end of the line. You've just gone against everything you claim.

Your argument is that you won't picket in public but you'll go to the ballot box and silently picket. Are you NOT seeing any of your blatent double-speak here? Moreover you haven't even paid an ounce of attention to the proof that any of us have provided you. It makes me wonder why you're even HERE. Babbling, bible quoting and double-speak might be religious thing but here it does nothing but piss people off. You've proven that you'll vote for laws that disparage people based on your religious opinion. End of story. While you enjoy your life, others are put out because of your opinion. There really is nothing more to it than this. If the Bible said it and you believe it and that settles it then your work here is pointless. 

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:   You

razorphreak wrote:

You don't understand what the new testament teaches and there are several posts in which I'm sure I made that clear.

made what clear? the reason you believe all "immoral" actions are the same besides "the bible told me to believe it"? or that i don't understand what the NT teaches? and what makes you think i don't?

razorphreak wrote:

That's because you don't understand. It is written in the bible that while on Earth you respect the authorities (I'm sure I put this somewhere in this thread too). It's not about law vs. faith...never has been.

then why don't you respect the Constitution in this matter?

razorphreak wrote:

Nope...see above. And I'll add the point, ONCE AGAIN, it is not my responsibility to either be your spiritual or earthly judge.

and yet you have judged me immoral and decided i am undeserving of the right to marry based on that judgement.

razorphreak wrote:

Really? So when you see elections, both from voters and in Congress, which side wins?

awww, you disappoint me so. you didn't even make it past the first sentence. if you had, you'd have seen that i addressed this. so go on, jog back up to my reply on this topic and read the whole paragraph.

Rill

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

to answer the question you appear to be asking me, which is whether i would behave as you are if we were in the same situation, no, i would not. i have been in the position you are, and i made a very different choice.

As I've stated time and time again, if by the measure of law, if a state in the union decides to legally marry two people of the same gender I will not go around and picket it with some kind of religious zeal.

lovely, but that's completely irrelevant to what you asked me and what i replied. so i'm really not sure why you're telling us this again. 

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

and yet you have judged me immoral and decided i am undeserving of the right to marry based on that judgement.

As I've told you before...I am not judging YOU, only your choice, your action.  There is a difference even if you choose not to believe there is. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
As I've told you before...I

As I've told you before...I am not judging YOU, only your choice, your action.  There is a difference even if you choose not to believe there is.

Out of curiosity, how does this distinction manifest practically?

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

As I've told you before...I am not judging YOU, only your choice, your action. There is a difference even if you choose not to believe there is.

Out of curiosity, how does this distinction manifest practically?

I'm curious too. I mean, you say a sin is a sin, but that's not how people usually operate. In regards to immoral acts and what I think of them, If I know someone and they cheat on their girlfriend, I would think a little differently of them, but I wouldn't stop being friends with them, if a friend stole something from me I would definately not have them over to my house at all, if someone had murdered someone, I would avoid them at all costs. These are all actions that harm other people.

As much as you say a sin is a sin is a sin, humans react very differently to all sorts of so-called "sins". A child stealing a candy bar is different from a grown man killing his girlfriend. I'm sorry, but it is. I had theist friends in high school who started to avoid people who had premarital sex, or swore, or were gay. As much as it's a "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing, the "sinner" is still affected. And in all the above cases, you're right, it's just feelings being hurt. However, when you get into legal things, it's no longer just

Theists: "You're a sinner, and what you're doing is wrong and I don't approve."

Gay person: *sad* You're mean and make me feel bad about myself."

(which sucks.)

It becomes

Theists: "You're a sinner, and what you're doing is wrong and I don't approve. It doesn't affect us directly, but you are not allowed to have this right under the law of our country."

Gay person: "How dare you? This is our country too, and being gay is not a crime."

Do you see why people are upset at that attitude?

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

As I've told you before...I am not judging YOU, only your choice, your action. There is a difference even if you choose not to believe there is.

then do explain to me what it would take for you to be judging ME in your mind. because my choices and actions are certainly not separate from "me." what else is there for you to judge besides my actions and my choices?

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

then do explain to me what it would take for you to be judging ME in your mind. because my choices and actions are certainly not separate from "me." what else is there for you to judge besides my actions and my choices?

Because I believe it to be a choice, not something you are born with.  You choose to act on your decision to engage in the immoral behavior.  The argument can be made that a gambler can't make the choice any longer because of an addiction yet they chose in the beginning to gamble.  Does that make this individual a bad person?  No..but they are making the wrong choice.  Because I don't agree with your choice as my faith tells me it is not right, on any level, it is for me to tell you that you should not engage in such a decision.  If I said it's ok for you to marry, is that not supporting your decision, your action which I deem (through faith) as immoral? 

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Because I believe it to be a choice, not something you are born with. You choose to act on your decision to engage in the immoral behavior. The argument can be made that a gambler can't make the choice any longer because of an addiction yet they chose in the beginning to gamble. Does that make this individual a bad person? No..but they are making the wrong choice. Because I don't agree with your choice as my faith tells me it is not right, on any level, it is for me to tell you that you should not engage in such a decision. If I said it's ok for you to marry, is that not supporting your decision, your action which I deem (through faith) as immoral?

how does that answer my question? please answer my question. how is judging me by my actions and choices not judging me? if that isn't "judging me" then what IS judging me? explain it to me.

and i asked you before, why, if you are expected by your religion to respect authority, you don't respect the authority of the Constitution.

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

how does that answer my question? please answer my question. how is judging me by my actions and choices not judging me? if that isn't "judging me" then what IS judging me? explain it to me.

I've already done it.

and i asked you before, why, if you are expected by your religion to respect authority, you don't respect the authority of the Constitution.

I've already explained this too.  There are now 7 pages to which you can go back and re-read it. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to let the

I'm going to let the government know they can stop arresting criminals and start arresting crimes. I'd imagine it'll be a lot cheaper for the taxpayers.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I'm going to

magilum wrote:
I'm going to let the government know they can stop arresting criminals and start arresting crimes. I'd imagine it'll be a lot cheaper for the taxpayers.

It's odd that you miss the point....big time with that statement. 

Any crime is illegal according to man's law.  Any sin is immoral to God.  Crimes carry punishment in accordance to the laws that are put in place.  I cannot say what sins carry since I am not God and only he is the final judge.  Now help me understand if that's not clear.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Because I believe it to be a choice, not something you are born with.
Ahhh those were the days huh razorphreak! Do you remember? Boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, hmmmm. "Which sex do I want to be with to make love to...to have sex with?" Is this what you asked yourself before you made your personal choice?

Just around puberty when that funny sensation was coming from your groin area or maybe it was before puberty. Remember getting sexually aroused when you were thinking of males and females? Which one sexually aroused you? But of course, you must have gotten sexually aroused for both because you said its a choice.

It must have been difficult choosing, but you decided to be sexually attracted to females right? So what was it about females that tipped the scale for you in your choice? Can you give us some details in how you personally decided to be sexually attracted to females?

Was it a hard choice for you, because you said one chooses to be sexually attracted to males or females? And because you claim it is a choice, you must have been sexually attracted to males at one time, right? Is this what you are saying? Did you reject all those males you were attracted to because it says in the bible it is wrong? It must have been a very trying time for you in deciding to be attracted to females when you were in fact attracted to males also, but, oh well, you must obey the bible. Can you give some details on how you went about forcing yourself not to look at males?

[edited for language] 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really don't think Razor

I really don't think Razor is understanding a thing any of us have tried to tell him, and that's the problem.

1. They don't know WHY they should hate it other than their bookie said so.

2. They come up with disprovable reasoning as to why being gay is a choice, wrong or whatever it may be. You don't believe me? Try me.

3. They claim they aren't judging you then they come up with some bull **** line like "it is for me to tell you that you should not engage in such a decision." Talk about self-righteous!

And to set the ****ing record straight, the definition of judging can be found by visiting dictionary.com if you're capable of doing that. "the cognitive process of reaching a decision or drawing conclusion."

The problem with a theist's cognitive process is that it's NOT cognitive. (Oh, and in the event that you don't know what cognitive means:

1. Of, characterized by, involving, or relating to cognition.

2. Having a basis in or reducible to empirical factual knowledge.)

Stating that it's a choice is above all things NOT a cognitive process because you have NO proof whatsoever. Yes, NO PROOF. There is more proof that it's biological than the ignorant claim that it's overtly a choice but I don't expect theists to give a **** one way or the other or to bother doing a little ****ing research because it's just easier to be told to "tell someone" what to do because someone else told them to than to actually get off of their asses and do a little research. And a theist honestly thinks it's their duty and right to tell other people how to conform? Talk about strongarming on a factless whim.

Let me tell you something, the bible is NOT empirical fact. It's been wrong on so many things in science you'd have to be a imbecile not to notice that. So to state that you're not judging when you're saying that "it is for me to tell you that you should not engage in such a decision" is so far off the mark of logical it saddens me that THIS is the intellect that Americans are left making decisions on.

I've made a considerable amount of contributions to this discussion, many of which have resources and little, if any, have been addressed. But such is the life of a christian to pick and choose what he/she wants to focus on. Doing something or demanding other people do something just because your book says so makes that faith no less terroristic or controlling than any other. I could pose a million questions why Christians choose to enforce one thing and not another. The fact of the matter if you're demanding other people to follow your religious book YOU'RE A ****ING TERRORIST. An in case you need a definition to what the **** the word TERRORIST means: a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities.

Fear gays! They'll ruin marriage! Come to our church! Vote against gays!

Sounds like a terrorist to me. And as we all know: YOU CAN'T LEVEL WITH A TERRORIST!

[MOD EDIT - removed swearing]

magilum
User is offlineOffline
So any objection to gay

So any objection to gay marriage wouldn't be reflected in "man's law" if you were given the chance to vote for or against its legalization?

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

I've already done it.

I've already explained this too. There are now 7 pages to which you can go back and re-read it.

i'm missing something then. can you please explain it again?

Rill

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reminder that this is the

Reminder that this is the

Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

No cussing.  No name calling.  No insults. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette, The biggest reason

Lynette,

The biggest reason I've been ignoring your posts is when I've tried to address your points, you'd rather twist and turn my words to suit your purpose.  Not bothering understanding what I'm trying to address, you'd rather modify what I state to make it sound hurtful. 

Lynette1977 wrote:

You are wrong.  Forget the biological purpose for genders but it boils down to the fact that I believe you choose to be homosexual.  The book explains nothing of hate NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING...and the fact that you even put me in the same group as those who hate shows how little you care to open your mind to the other side. 

Lynette1977 wrote:
2. They come up with disprovable reasoning as to why being gay is a choice, wrong or whatever it may be. You don't believe me? Try me.

Believe what you will. 

Lynette1977 wrote:
3. They claim they aren't judging you then they come up with some bull **** line like "it is for me to tell you that you should not engage in such a decision." Talk about self-righteous!

Again, you don't want to listen to anyone else so ANY explination will never be good enough. 

Lynette1977 wrote:
The fact of the matter if you're demanding other people to follow your religious book YOU'RE A ****ING TERRORIST.

See what I mean.  I am not demanding a thing.  I can't make you believe in God; only God can make you aware of him.  The fact that you somehow concluded that all theists are terrorists (talk about insulting) when you yourself have no intention to listen at all is exactly why I no longer want to discuss anything with you on this thread.  You speak of me having no congnitive thoughts when you present a "no true scotsman" statement like that...

The purpose of this thread was to discuss why homosexuality is still wrong.  I've explained it according to my faith.  You managed to reduce it to God knows what.  There isn't anything more for me to discuss on this thread.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
You are wrong.  Forget the

You are wrong.  Forget the biological purpose for genders but it boils down to the fact that I believe you choose to be homosexual.  The book explains nothing of hate NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING...and the fact that you even put me in the same group as those who hate shows how little you care to open your mind to the other side. 

This statement is going to sound more inflammatory than it needs to be, but what you're saying, if applied to other maltreated minorities, might read as:

“I don't hate the negro, I pity him for his helplessness and inferior faculties.”

I'm definitely NOT suggesting you're a racist, I only mention overt racism for contrast as a mindset that has been marginalized and is no longer acceptable in mainstream conversation or protected by tradition. The point is that bigotry can be expressed in different ways. Not all of them are violent, but it doesn't alter the motive.

See what I mean.  I am not demanding a thing.  I can't make you believe in God; only God can make you aware of him.

So if the choice to legalize gay marriage was on the ballot, would you be for it, against it, or neutral? Again, how is the distinction between hating sin and hating a sinner, or between demanding and legislating, functionally different? Remember, unless you take the religious premise for granted, the “spiritual” angle doesn't have any meaning. Just as jailers don't oversee the punishment of concepts or spirits, the only thing I'm concerned with is actual people.

The fact that you somehow concluded that all theists are terrorists (talk about insulting) when you yourself have no intention to listen at all is exactly why I no longer want to discuss anything with you on this thread.  You speak of me having no congnitive thoughts when you present a “no true scotsman“ statement like that...

I ain't touching the terrorist remarks. You said before I didn't understand this fallacy, so explain to me how's it a “no true Scotsman” fallacy. DO NOT say you “explained this already.”

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Forget

razorphreak wrote:

Forget the biological purpose for genders but it boils down to the fact that I believe you choose to be homosexual.

Razor, how many in your circle of friends are gay? 

Please ask them how/when they made the choice to be gay.  Please ask them how/when they made the choice to face all the unjustices and inequalities they do every day. 

Please ask them how/when they made the choice to come out to their families and friends if it was an easy thing to do.

Please ask your friends if, when they "decided" to be gay, they would have changed their minds when they found out how hard it can make things sometimes.

Please ask your friends if the thought of being romantic with the opposite sex might be OK or if it makes them want to flee.  (Please be sure you are not asking someone who is bisexual.) 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: This

magilum wrote:
This statement is going to sound more inflammatory than it needs to be, but what you're saying, if applied to other maltreated minorities, might read as:

“I don't hate the negro, I pity him for his helplessness and inferior faculties.”

I'm definitely NOT suggesting you're a racist, I only mention overt racism for contrast as a mindset that has been marginalized and is no longer acceptable in mainstream conversation or protected by tradition. The point is that bigotry can be expressed in different ways. Not all of them are violent, but it doesn't alter the motive.

Then don't say it about any other subject, lifestyle, or race.  The fact that you are doing exactly what Lynette has done and try to twist it about race. 

magilum wrote:
I ain't touching the terrorist remarks. You said before I didn't understand this fallacy, so explain to me how's it a “no true Scotsman” fallacy. DO NOT say you “explained this already.

It's because it insinuates all theists and only theists (so no one else can be) are automatically hate mongers.   I guess it actually isn't but damn you put yourself on this side of the argument and you tell me what that sounds like... 

Susan wrote:
Razor, how many in your circle of friends are gay?

Please ask them how/when they made the choice to be gay. Please ask them how/when they made the choice to face all the unjustices and inequalities they do every day.

Please ask them how/when they made the choice to come out to their families and friends if it was an easy thing to do.

Please ask your friends if, when they "decided" to be gay, they would have changed their minds when they found out how hard it can make things sometimes.

Please ask your friends if the thought of being romantic with the opposite sex might be OK or if it makes them want to flee. (Please be sure you are not asking someone who is bisexual.)

I'll put it this way; I have more than one friend who is gay, these friends know I am Christian and understand I do not agree with their chosen lifestyle, these friends do not agree with me as those here that it is a choice, but the difference between them and those here like Lynette is they are not, I repeat, they are NOT  twisting my words to mean that I am saying something else.  Perhaps it's the difference from online to in person discussion however I don't have them calling me terrorists or hateful at the end of the day.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Then don't say it about any

Then don't say it about any other subject, lifestyle, or race. The fact that you are doing exactly what Lynette has done and try to twist it about race. 

You don't see it as bigotry because you don't recognize their right to be as they are. You assume their proclivity is invalid, or immoral and would rather they try to reform themselves suit your preferences. I'm not twisting anything: there is a parallel between this and prejudices that have fallen out of mainstream favor.

After emancipation there were Jim Crow laws. After that, there were people who “love” black people, but wouldn't want them next door, or think it's been “scientifically” shown that white people are more intelligent than black pepole. There still are. These are perceptions that affect housing, employment, etc., without expressing any overt “hatred.” Bigotry doesn't have to manifest illegally or even rudely to be expressed.

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Lynette1977 wrote:

You are wrong. Forget the biological purpose for genders but it boils down to the fact that I believe you choose to be homosexual. The book explains nothing of hate NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING...and the fact that you even put me in the same group as those who hate shows how little you care to open your mind to the other side.

i believe you have read a little too hastily here. she clears says "hate IT." and i believe you have used the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" indicating that you do indeed hate "it."

so now let me get this straight. you believe homosexuality to be immoral because we choose it? how does that even make sense? does the fact that i can choose which cereal to have in the morning make eating cereal immoral? she isn't wrong at all. the reason you believe it to be immoral is because your book tells you it is. if you wish to tell her she is wrong, then please provide us with nonbibical reasons. and "because it's a choice" fails utterly. even if it were a choice, you would FIRST have to prove the act was immoral in order to show the choice to be immoral. so, no, it doesn't boil down to it being a choice at all. whether or not it is a choice is completely inconsequential. please provide us with reasons it is immoral that are nonbibical or accept you believe it to be immoral for that reason alone.

Rill

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I'll

razorphreak wrote:

I'll put it this way; I have more than one friend who is gay, ..., these friends do not agree with me as those here that it is a choice,

I admit I'm baffled that you have gay friends that tell you it was not their choice to be gay, yet you still believe it was their choice. 

You got the information from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I'm really confused.  Do you think your friends are telling you that it wasn't their choice and that they're fibbing to you?

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I'll

razorphreak wrote:

I'll put it this way; I have more than one friend who is gay, these friends know I am Christian and understand I do not agree with their chosen lifestyle, these friends do not agree with me as those here that it is a choice, but the difference between them and those here like Lynette is they are not, I repeat, they are NOT twisting my words to mean that I am saying something else. Perhaps it's the difference from online to in person discussion however I don't have them calling me terrorists or hateful at the end of the day.

so you feel you know more about the ins and outs of your friends' sexuality then they do? what on earth makes you think you do?

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

so you feel you know more about the ins and outs of your friends' sexuality then they do? what on earth makes you think you do?

What is it with you guys assuming?

Susan wrote:
I admit I'm baffled that you have gay friends that tell you it was not their choice to be gay, yet you still believe it was their choice.

I'm really confused. Do you think your friends are telling you that it wasn't their choice and that they're fibbing to you?

Even if I was to concede that you were "born gay", it is by God's word that his creation of human beings are, in short, man + woman. It is by the CHOICE of the individual to have sexual relations from that point. So even if you were not attracted to the opposite sex, you still chose to engage in a relationship with the same sex. And before you give me this "everyone deserves to be happy" bit, how much happiness do you have if you are blind? How much do you have if you are lonely? How much do you have when your life is constantly surrounded by sorrow? While I know you would disagree with this next statement, that is your life without God. Giving in to the desires of the flesh is what spawns the immoral activity and pushes you away from God moment by moment.

As to my friends, with each we got to know who each one of us was as an individual and there was no judgement. There was no hate. To these people that I regard as friends, I would do most anything for, just as I would do for strangers though the strength of God. Because I do not agree with their choice does not mean that I would throw them aside or not show them love as one individual does to another in brothership because of a choice. I have friends that do drugs, should I toss them aside because of that choice? I have friends that are users of women and decievers to get their sexual desires...should I toss them aside as well even though that is also immoral? I tell them each, don't use drugs, it's not right, but they do it anyway. I tell another don't go out looking to seduce a woman just to get your nut but they do it. I tell them don't give in to your desire to be gay but they do it. To each they understand I do not agree with their choices (their sins) to which you could say I hate their choice because it is not the right choice to make before the eyes of God, but that does not mean that I myself hate them (the person) as all people, including myself and my friends, are not perfect.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Even if I was to concede

Even if I was to concede that you were “born gay“, it is by God's word that his creation of human beings are, in short, man + woman. It is by the CHOICE of the individual to have sexual relations from that point. So even if you were not attracted to the opposite sex, you still chose to engage in a relationship with the same sex.

So, even if you concede that their proclivity is nature's doing, it's still their fault that they choose a lifestyle that hurts no one rather than live a lifetime of conflicted angst for your benefit. Imagine the tables were turned and you, as a heterosexual, had to screw a guy every week because of some social or religious demand. That's the feeling you're leaning on people to accept for no reason other than somebody wrote something down a long time ago.

And before you give me this “everyone deserves to be happy“ bit, how much happiness do you have if you are blind? How much do you have if you are lonely? How much do you have when your life is constantly surrounded by sorrow? While I know you would disagree with this next statement, that is your life without God. Giving in to the desires of the flesh is what spawns the immoral activity and pushes you away from God moment by moment.

A totally meaningless statement. Maybe your sentimental attachment to the idea of “god” would make it seem hard to let go of, but for someone who finds the whole business silly, it's like being confronted by a mugger with a rubber gun.

As to my friends, with each we got to know who each one of us was as an individual and there was no judgement. There was no hate.

Yeah, you still haven't answered the question I, or GlamourKat, had about that distinction about “not hating” someone but disapproving and obstructing them anyway.

[Deleted more repetition about not “hating the sinner.”]