Why is Homosexuality Still Wrong? (Moved from the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum)

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is Homosexuality Still Wrong? (Moved from the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum)

i really hope this is in the right place but i shall go ahead for now.

I dont have a bible handy on me right now , but i am pretty sure that the only ruling agains Homosexuality was in the old testament.

so my question is since you guys and girls keeps aying the old testament rules dont count anymore since jesus sacrficed himself. why is homosexuality seen as wrong?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Neither.

magilum wrote:
Neither. It's conclusion (shared with other bible scholars) based on research of the written word.

That's an appeal to authority fallacy unless you want to substantiate it.

Give me a chance to pull up other bible studies however the New Testament substantiates... 

magilum wrote:
people assumed it was taking it into their own hands and it was never so.

Which is clearly illustrated by...?

The NT.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Still like to ignore

Still like to ignore questions you don't like, I see. But, go on, do grab your bible.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Still like

magilum wrote:
Still like to ignore questions you don't like, I see. But, go on, do grab your bible.

No..your other questions are off topic and have been answered in other threads. 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

magilum
User is offlineOffline
No..your other questions are

They were?! Hmph! Where?
My last ignored question was in reply to your comparison of biblical interpretation to science, so I guess you were off topic as well, huh?
Hey, didja find that bible yet?

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: magilum

razorphreak wrote:

magilum wrote:

lol i am pretty sure this went way off topic ages ago.

but i think its a bit harsh say that and not provide links. also the question are on topic since their in response to statements you made which i can only assume were on topic aswell otherwise your being a hypocrite

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK folks. Please tone it

OK folks.

Please tone it down a bit because, as was pointed out, this is the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

It looks as if tempers are starting to flare a bit. 

This is a "hot" topic and people tend to click on the "Post comment" button before re-reading their post.

Please be careful about what you are writing.

Thanks. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: OK

Susan wrote:

OK folks.

Please tone it down a bit because, as was pointed out, this is the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

It looks as if tempers are starting to flare a bit.

This is a "hot" topic and people tend to click on the "Post comment" button before re-reading their post.

Please be careful about what you are writing.

Thanks.

sorry susan , i shall try to be more careful with my words in future posts 

ABx
User is offlineOffline
nm

I'd still like to hear an answer to the original question - why is homosexuality so morally wrong if the moral precepts of the OT are no longer considered relevant?

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
ABx wrote: I'd still like

ABx wrote:
I'd still like to hear an answer to the original question - why is homosexuality so morally wrong if the moral precepts of the OT are no longer considered relevant?

If you look on the first page of the thread , theirs a post with a list of quotes from the new testmeant , that say its evil and filthy and stuff 

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Raz:

I.JUST.DON'T.GET.IT.

I did not want to get back in this, but this is insane.

I don't have time to research every verse, but a very HUGE example off the top of my head, from the OT is Sodom & Gomorrah.

GOD killed every person in that town, save Lot & fam. This had nothing to do w/ "men following their own rules, spiritual death" nonesense. Again, GOD did it.

What Bible are you reading, sir???????????

What.do.you.not.understand, sir????????

That is all. 

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
dassercha wrote: GOD

dassercha wrote:

GOD killed every person in that town, save Lot & fam. This had nothing to do w/ "men following their own rules, spiritual death" nonesense. Again, GOD did it.

, he said that people arent menat to kill but it is up to god, so basicly you jsut reinforced his argument,by showing examples of the OT god killing the sinful.

i think you should take a clsoer look at his arguments.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: dassercha

Malice wrote:
dassercha wrote:

, he said that people arent menat to kill but it is up to god, so basicly you jsut reinforced his argument,by showing examples of the OT god killing the sinful.

Thanks, Malice. But I've gone over his stmt that I responded to:

razorphreak wrote:

OK let me explain something here....the "put to death" part is NOT for man to take upon himself to complete. It speaks of spiritual death, not litteral. If God meant it to be man to kill another man, that would be in direct contradiction to not murdering someone else.

However, he is TOTALLY ignoring all the verses where it is written that God himself puts people to death AND commands people's death (see Moses for example).

Again, don't have time to research all verses. There's tons of material on the web where people have researched it. 

Don't know what else to tell ya. It's all there--b&w... 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
dassercha wrote: Malice

dassercha wrote:
Malice wrote:
dassercha wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

OK let me explain something here....the "put to death" part is NOT for man to take upon himself to complete. It speaks of spiritual death, not litteral. If God meant it to be man to kill another man, that would be in direct contradiction to not murdering someone else.

However, he is TOTALLY ignoring all the verses where it is written that God himself puts people to death AND commands people's death (see Moses for example).

Again, don't have time to research all verses. There's tons of material on the web where people have researched it.

show me where in thst statement he claims god dosent kill people , thats why i said that you reinforced his argument becuase he says in ealier posts he says that it is not mans right to kill people but god*not his exactue words but it somes up waht he is getting at*

hence the take closer look at his argument statements

you are right hwoever about yuor claim that he is wrong in his statement that god doesnt want man to kill the sinful 

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Malice

razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:
The message coulnt be any mroe clear , it says tehy should be put to death , it doenst mention spirit once, and i dont remember seeing anywhere that god was gonna come down and slay the gays himself so i think its safe to say it meant people were to kill the gays.

OK, you're wrong. I've told you you're wrong already. It is about spirit because God did not say "and you should put them to death"....it's not talking about a person must take an action against another man. It isn't....and it's not safe to say - you are assuming.

Here's one of MANY examples refuting Raz's paragraph above:

Numbers 31:7 

"They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man."

What am i missing? Please let me know???? 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
dassercha

dassercha wrote:
razorphreak wrote:

Malice wrote:
The message coulnt be any mroe clear , it says tehy should be put to death , it doenst mention spirit once, and i dont remember seeing anywhere that god was gonna come down and slay the gays himself so i think its safe to say it meant people were to kill the gays.

OK, you're wrong. I've told you you're wrong already. It is about spirit because God did not say "and you should put them to death"....it's not talking about a person must take an action against another man. It isn't....and it's not safe to say - you are assuming.

Here's one of MANY examples refuting Raz's paragraph above:

Numbers 31:7

"They fought against Midian, as the LORD commanded Moses, and killed every man."

What am i missing? Please let me know????

are you talking to raz with this post or me cause like i said i am siding with you when it comes to god telling men to kill the sinful such as gays or enmies of the church i was disagreeing with you when you said raz claimed that god dint kill people 

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
This addresses Raz's

This addresses Raz's claim:

Lev. 20

"The people of the community are to stone him."

That's a law given to the people to carry out. Raz, from what i gather is trying to refute this verse.

Am i missing something?

Just say'n... 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
actual raz i would like an

actual raz i would like an answer to that one aswell the versus i ahve qutoed havent been as clear as dassercha one.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
dassercha wrote: This

dassercha wrote:

This addresses Raz's claim:

Lev. 20

maybe they stone them in spirit? 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: ....the

razorphreak wrote:
....the "put to death" part is NOT for man to take upon himself to complete. It speaks of spiritual death, not litteral.
Who determined that this refers to spiritual death and how was it determined? Overview of Leviticus 20:13 It lists 14 versions, all of which say to "kill" the man, no spirit is mentioned.

Lev 20:13? "put to death" = muwth {Strongs 04191} Blue Letter Bible

Quote:
If God meant it to be man to kill another man, that would be in direct contradiction to not murdering someone else.
It is another contradiction. There are soooooo many aren't there.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
yes, thanks. the point i was

yes, thanks. the point i was trying to get across. i have NO IDEA what Raz is talking about. Really. it's in the bible, b&w. period.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Who determined

AiiA wrote:

Who determined that this refers to spiritual death and how was it determined?.

apparntly him and a group of bible scholars accroding to raz's ealier post but he is yet to provide links or any real evidence to back up his claim 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
dassercha

dassercha wrote:

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Raz:

I.JUST.DON'T.GET.IT.

I did not want to get back in this, but this is insane.

I don't have time to research every verse, but a very HUGE example off the top of my head, from the OT is Sodom & Gomorrah.

What Bible are you reading, sir???????????

What.do.you.not.understand, sir????????

That is all.

Did anyone but me find it ironic that anyone would believe that someone would offer up girls to supposed hoards of gay men for their use? 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote:

Lynette1977 wrote:

Did anyone but me find it ironic that anyone would believe that someone would offer up girls to supposed hoards of gay men for their use?

Wow! No, actually. How perceptive! omg!!!!! too funny.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: At no

razorphreak wrote:

At no time does it say that man should kill another man for a sin. Sorry, the bible does NOT say to kill another man. 

Lev. 20:1

LIAR... 

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: i really

Malice wrote:

I dont have a bible handy on me right now , but i am pretty sure that the only ruling agains Homosexuality was in the old testament.

so my question is since you guys and girls keeps aying the old testament rules dont count anymore since jesus sacrficed himself. why is homosexuality seen as wrong?

Malice:

No matter what someone might say about the NT being different from the OT and a new covenant, just have them explain/justify 1st Corinithians Chapter 5: "Expel the Immoral Brother." 

Check it out. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Did

Lynette1977 wrote:

Not only that, but note that the women are treated like property.

Actually, the more I think about that, the more amused I am.  The gay men I know are totally horrified at the thought of "using" a woman!  

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: dassercha

Malice wrote:
dassercha wrote:
Malice wrote:
dassercha wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

show me where in thst statement he claims god dosent kill people , thats why i said that you reinforced his argument becuase he says in ealier posts he says that it is not mans right to kill people but god*not his exactue words but it somes up waht he is getting at*

hence the take closer look at his argument statements

you are right hwoever about yuor claim that he is wrong in his statement that god doesnt want man to kill the sinful

He also said in another thread that there's no good reason why Hitler or Saddam Hussein couldn't be in heaven.  After-all, there's no way for us on earth to determine whether or not someone is carrying out god's will.(I'll quote him, if need be.)

I'd take what he sais with a grain of salt.  And by salt I mean nothing. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK I'm not going to get

OK I'm not going to get anywhere with you guys on this thread.  No matter what I say to make my case you seem to have it already figured out anyway.

From debating all this on the book of leviticus, it reminded me for some reason of the following from the NT:

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

No matter what came from the OT, Jesus corrected ALL with his ministry.  The examples that dassercha lists are all not within the same context but no matter...oh and the one from 1 Corinthians to expell the sinner...didn't say kill, so there shouldn't be confusion there.

I'm not saying I'm wrong with what I've posted before but I want to end this back and forth because I feel that the focus got lost from where CHRISTIANS should stand on the issue of homosexuality. Again, what people do and what is God's will are quite often not one and the same...

Spewn wrote:
He also said in another thread that there's no good reason why Hitler or Saddam Hussein couldn't be in heaven. After-all, there's no way for us on earth to determine whether or not someone is carrying out god's will.(I'll quote him, if need be.)

And that was based on a different question and it reverts back to a passage from Romans 9 starting with verse 14.  Take it in context ok?

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

Spewn wrote:
He also said in another thread that there's no good reason why Hitler or Saddam Hussein couldn't be in heaven. After-all, there's no way for us on earth to determine whether or not someone is carrying out god's will.(I'll quote him, if need be.)

And that was based on a different question and it reverts back to a passage from Romans 9 starting with verse 14. Take it in context ok?

Context? The context is about judgement. I asked you simple questions unrelated to the bible, and you responded sans bible references. That this somehow doesn't apply to homosexuality was never implied by you. Again, this is all on the boards in black and white for everyone to read for themselves, so I'd advise against lying.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey folks!  This is the

Hey folks! 

This is the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

No insults and absolutely no personal attacks. 

Some of this is getting perilously close to having this thread locked down.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spewn wrote: Context? The

Spewn wrote:
Context? The context is about judgement. I asked you simple questions unrelated to the bible, and you responded sans bible references. That this somehow doesn't apply to homosexuality was never implied by you. Again, this is all on the boards in black and white for everyone to read for themselves, so I'd advise against lying.

Lying?  What lying?  I'm telling you what the message of what it states and all you can come back with is "in black and white".  Have you never read a book and understood that there was a bigger message behind it?  Did you miss the message of the movie "The sixth sense" or would you have never known that Willis' character was dead until it was explained to you until the end of the movie?

Tell me what did you ask that I didn't answer? 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
"The Sixth Sense" had a

"The Sixth Sense" had a clear story and a fictional context which the internal logic of the movie doesn't presume to transcend. Nobody comes away from it trying to glean more than is suggested so they can credit M. Night Shyamalan as the source of their morality. All the different denominations of every major religion suggest that scripture isn't clear (sometimes not even coherent), but something easily interpreted in contradictory ways.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: All the

magilum wrote:
All the different denominations of every major religion suggest that scripture isn't clear (sometimes not even coherent), but something easily interpreted in contradictory ways.

Scripture is nothing more than words without God's help.  To those who don't believe it would be nothing more than a book that has contradictions but with God's help the understanding that is necessary comes and the contradictions no longer exist. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Believers aren't even in

Believers aren't even in agreement about the level of involvement of “god” in the bible's authorship. It's not understanding at work here, it's exercising preference. It's real progressive and all that you don't want to stone gay people, but you haven't demonstrated how your interpretation is specifically supported by scripture.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Believers

magilum wrote:
Believers aren't even in agreement about the level of involvement of “god” in the bible's authorship. It's not understanding at work here, it's exercising preference. It's real progressive and all that you don't want to stone gay people, but you haven't demonstrated how your interpretation is specifically supported by scripture.

As I said before...nobody's perfect.   Not all believers are believers who are following God's word because they read it, they are followers of the crowd which is far more dangerous...

I won't be able to show you how my faith and scripture are saying the same thing because you are not reading the bible in the same way I am.   

magilum
User is offlineOffline
As I said before...nobody's

As I said before...nobody's perfect.   Not all believers are believers who are following God's word because they read it, they are followers of the crowd which is far more dangerous...

If they don't understand what they've read, or haven't read their dogma at all, what is it they actually believe? Many say they believe in “god,” but if they either don't know, or actively reject any of the prerequisites of being a legitimate practitioner, then their “religion” is an inaccurate label (even a conceit) for their socially, culturally and personally-derived moral principles. Because of lack of clarity in scripture, even with fundamentalists there is always an exercise of personal preference in interpreting scripture. The question isn't whether a typical Christian rejects or ignores parts of his or her dogma, it's whether he or she has a reason for doing so supported by said dogma. Again, the existence of so many denominations supplies the answer to whether believers are in agreement on this point. There isn't “a crowd,” there are a ton of splinter groups, each born of some impasse of practical or scriptural interpretation within a parent sect. What supports your claim that your interpretation is more accurate than others?

I won't be able to show you how my faith and scripture are saying the same thing because you are not reading the bible in the same way I am.

It always ends this way. Happy boiled egg day.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
  dassercha

dassercha wrote:
Malice wrote:

Malice:

No matter what someone might say about the NT being different from the OT and a new covenant, just have them explain/justify 1st Corinithians Chapter 5: "Expel the Immoral Brother."

Check it out.

alrighty,  i will have to take a better look at corinithians. thanks

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I won't

razorphreak wrote:

fine we are not reading the bible the same way , but i dont see why yuo can not exaplain how you interpert the bible different , since we have shown you multiple versus that contradict your statesments.  

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Did

Lynette1977 wrote:

lol where does it say that , it would be great to read it. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
while there might be many

while there might be many denominations, the commonality has always been Jesus.  While one dogma says baptism is valid at birth and another says no they have to be baptised when an adult and another says yes as an adult but backwards and a third says as an adult but only a spinkle of water, we all believe in Jesus as the savior.  The dogma differences can be put aside for that.  Now convincing others to do that is another story...

malice I've tried to explain what my faith tells me from the bible.  I can't do much more if all you see is that verse and not the fullness of the message.  I'm not the best explainer I guess so for that I'm sorry for that.  If I am wrong about the OT verses, which I'm still researching by the way, then I will admit I am.  I would add this however....as a Chrsitian, the New Testament holds more relevance for me to the issue at hand, the questioning of homosexuality as being immoral or wrong, and to that I'd rather hold than to the verses from Leviticus.  For me God is the same from way back when to now, and if Jesus came and explained that no one should be judged on earth or killed for Earthly sins, that is to say the sins of the flesh, then I will not subscribe to that form of hate either.  God is the judge for those who did not accept his son so I have no business condemning anyone. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
while there might be many

while there might be many denominations, the commonality has always been Jesus.

Except where it isn't. Christianity broke off from Judaism, Islam was derived from both. Each religion adds something and says to adherents of the former, “You're out of date and heretical. Accept the real, real, this-time-I-mean-it truth, and follow our rules, and become second class in our new regime.” It's such a transparent ploy. But I digress -- that's a bit beyond the scope of this conversation, so I will backtrack.

While one dogma says baptism is valid at birth and another says no they have to be baptised when an adult and another says yes as an adult but backwards and a third says as an adult but only a spinkle of water, we all believe in Jesus as the savior.  The dogma differences can be put aside for that.  Now convincing others to do that is another story...

There's little to interpret in that statement: “Jesus is such and such.” There are disagreements about supernatural claims about Jesus, the divinity of Jesus, and IIRC the resurrection, among different groups of Christians; but let's leave it at your statement for a moment. Agreement on a figurehead does not a religion make. If there is ambiguity in the doctrine, there is room for interpretation. History has shown that people can convince themselves and others that the ambiguities in the texts can justify anything. What good is ambiguous text in attempting to dictate a consistent morality? As soon as everyone's done agreeing how neat Jesus is, they're still forced to interpret scripture; and not on how much or what brand of water should be used for baptism; about who deserves to live and die, the morality of beating kids and keeping slaves, and who adherents believe will exist in eternal torment until the end of time. They will invariably be forced to one side or another of an ambiguity. This is an exercise of personal preference, which is why the position of absolute morality being derived from the text becomes questionable.

You keep explaining your position, and it's a relatively benign one by Christian standards, but you have not differentiated it from mere personal preference.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Except where

magilum wrote:
Except where it isn't. Christianity broke off from Judaism, Islam was derived from both. Each religion adds something and says to adherents of the former, “You're out of date and heretical. Accept the real, real, this-time-I-mean-it truth, and follow our rules, and become second class in our new regime.” It's such a transparent ploy. But I digress -- that's a bit beyond the scope of this conversation, so I will backtrack.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here other than, from what I can tell, approaching it from an odd angle.  Christianity didn't "break off" from anything and Islam was no derivative.  In it's purest (and simplest) form, Judaism is about the promise to Abraham and the laws given to Moses and following that way of life, Christianity is about Jesus fulfilling the laws from Abraham/Moses and following his example, and Islam is about the revelations that Muhammad was given from an angel.  My point is to show major differences between the three when you almost make it sound they are all the same...

magilum wrote:
There are disagreements about supernatural claims about Jesus, the divinity of Jesus, and IIRC the resurrection, among different groups of Christians

Ummm really?  Where?  (and please don't include Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons as they are not Christian and you read my response on the What is Real Christianity thread.)

magilum wrote:
but let's leave it at your statement for a moment. Agreement on a figurehead does not a religion make.

Thing is...Christianity is not a religion; its a way of faith.

magilum wrote:
You keep explaining your position, and it's a relatively benign one by Christian standards, but you have not differentiated it from mere personal preference.

If that's how you'd define faith...ok. 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Thing

razorphreak wrote:

huh??????

i could be wrong but i am pretty sure it is a religion, or did i miss a memo 

Spewn
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

Spewn wrote:

Lying? What lying? I'm telling you what the message of what it states and all you can come back with is "in black and white". Have you never read a book and understood that there was a bigger message behind it? Did you miss the message of the movie "The sixth sense" or would you have never known that Willis' character was dead until it was explained to you until the end of the movie?

You know, I really didn't think I'd need to do this.

razorphreak wrote:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/kill_em_with_kindness/5543
"Spewn wrote:

So Hitler and Saddam could both be chillin' in heaven right now?

The same as Pharaoh in the story of the exodus. The same with Judas, the man who betrayed Jesus. If they are doing God's will, who are we to condemn?
"

"Spewn wrote:

Do we, as humans living on earth, have any means at all by which to judge whether or not a person is doing God's will?

No.
That however does not mean we cannot correct someone if we feel they are going against God's word. If I see a Christian group hating on anyone that is a homosexual, for me it's part of who I am to correct them in making sure they understand God will save or condemn that person. We cannot run around hating that person but we can attempt to tell that person that we do not agree with their sin and help correct it from that point. Do not mistake that to be to take them somewhere and start a conversation with "Did you know God said it was evil for you to be gay" kinda thing, but more so to live as an example and accept that individual as a friend; God will put the conversation in the proper context.

Spewn wrote:

Or is it safe to say that any person, anywhere, doing anything could be guaranteed a place in heaven as a result of their actions?

How people are judged by God first depends on their belief in Jesus first (and this is more than just saying you believe) and second based on their actions if belief is not in their heart. Romans 2 hits on this. "

I would LOVE for you to explain to me how this can be "interpreted" to mean something other than you believe hitler and saddam hussein could both be in heaven and that you concede this because we have no way of judging whether or not something is going with god's will.

Quote:

Tell me what did you ask that I didn't answer?

That's a first. You dodge a question I didn't ask by asking me to ask it again. There's a reason I try to keep my questions as simple as possible, and don't think it's because I'm condescending and believe you won't understand them otherwise. Quite the contrary.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure what you are

I'm not sure what you are talking about here other than, from what I can tell, approaching it from an odd angle.  Christianity didn't “break off“ from anything and Islam was no derivative.  In it's purest (and simplest) form, Judaism is about the promise to Abraham and the laws given to Moses and following that way of life, Christianity is about Jesus fulfilling the laws from Abraham/Moses and following his example, and Islam is about the revelations that Muhammad was given from an angel.  My point is to show major differences between the three when you almost make it sound they are all the same...

You might as well say Luke Skywalker learned the way of the Jedi, redeemed his father, and restored balance to The Force. The content of text doesn't validate its claims, nor does it excuse it from being considered derivative just because it makes claims about its own origin. It's only if you already assume the validity of those outrageous claims, and “Don't look at the man behind the curtain,” that you can even begin to see beyond their blatant absurdity. Because George Lucas is a contemporary writer, we know he derived his ideas from Joseph Campbell, and borrowed heavily from the work of Akira Kurosawa. If you can take the word of the writers of religious texts that they were divinely inspired, not derived or in address of previous religious texts, I don't know whether I can take you seriously.

Ummm really?  Where?  (and please don't include Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons as they are not Christian and you read my response on the What is Real Christianity thread.)

Why not? Joseph Smith got his scripture directly from an angel, and established the new, new, final, this-time-it's-for-real religion for serious Jesus fans.

I could not have imagined a better rebuttal to the idea that there's any consistent moral principle to be gathered by reading scripture. They can't even agree on a category. It's great when the reductio ad absurdum just falls into your lap.

I don't, and I wasn't trying to suggest anything about faith; but it's instructive that you'd think of faith when I refer to unsubstantiated conclusions and evasion.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: If you can

magilum wrote:
If you can take the word of the writers of religious texts that they were divinely inspired, not derived or in address of previous religious texts, I don't know whether I can take you seriously.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Every "religious" text is said to be divinely inspired.  I can't speak of Judaism or Islam since my faith comes from a different motivation.

magilum wrote:
Why not? Joseph Smith got his scripture directly from an angel, and established the new, new, final, this-time-it's-for-real religion for serious Jesus fans.

I thought I explained this in the other thread. 

magilum wrote:
I could not have imagined a better rebuttal to the idea that there's any consistent moral principle to be gathered by reading scripture. They can't even agree on a category. It's great when the reductio ad absurdum just falls into your lap.

OK.  I'm not exactly sure how you figure that...

To you I evade the question; I have answered the questions in accordance to my faith and according to the bible.  If that is what was asked that is how I'll respond.   

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: lol where

Malice wrote:

In the Bible it says that Lot offers his two daughters to the hordes as long as they leave the men alone. Many scholars have agreed that they don't believe the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to be about gay men at all. Why would Lot offer his two daughters to a group of gay men? It doesn't make any sense. Of course, we all know that Lot later goes on to get drunk and allow his two daughters to have sex with him to "repopulate" the earth because they thought everyone was dead. Again, if "everyone" was just "Sodom and Gomorrah" then that would have to mean that 1. Only gay people existed and Lot, his wife and daughters were the only ones who were not or 2. This story is just yet another example of the rampant illogical stories that continue to exist in all of their inconsistencies.

19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
19:6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, 
19:7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly. 
19:8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

After god destroyed the cities and turned Lot's wife into salt...

19:31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
19:32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
19:33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
19:34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Malice

Lynette1977 wrote:

Malice wrote:

In the Bible it says that Lot offers his two daughters to the hordes as long as they leave the men alone. Many scholars have agreed that they don't believe the story of Sodom and Gomorrah to be about gay men at all. Why would Lot offer his two daughters to a group of gay men? It doesn't make any sense. Of course, we all know that Lot later goes on to get drunk and allow his two daughters to have sex with him to "repopulate" the earth because they thought everyone was dead. Again, if "everyone" was just "Sodom and Gomorrah" then that would have to mean that 1. Only gay people existed and Lot, his wife and daughters were the only ones who were not or 2. This story is just yet another example of the rampant illogical stories that continue to exist in all of their inconsistencies.

19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
19:6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, 
19:7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly. 
19:8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

After god destroyed the cities and turned Lot's wife into salt...

19:31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
19:32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
19:33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
19:34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

That's funny!  I had no idea that the story contained homosexuality, death, destruction and incest. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

magilum wrote:
but let's leave it at your statement for a moment. Agreement on a figurehead does not a religion make.

magilum wrote:

Razor!  How can you say Christianity is not a religion.

re·li·gion      /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-lij-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun
1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6.something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7.religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8.Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.
I'm pretty sure that your Bible has some laws in it and a set of beliefs that you and others of the Christian faith adhere to, no?  Ack, I'm too tired to continue this post.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
yea I know what the

yea I know what the dictionaries say...it's my opinion on it. Sorry should said that...

Religions to me have always been the stuff that man puts into place over God. Any organized dogma like Catholism, Baptist, Lutherian, that stuff, those are religions...know what I mean?

The reason my opinion Christanity is not a religion is because of the whole label thing; following the example of Jesus has been and is to me an action, a lifestyle, not what came from man but from God (not going to get into if God exists argument ok!)