How the athiest thinks

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
How the athiest thinks

Person A (we are figuratively speaking here cuz i know you will probably cry about something) gets a PhD in the field of scientific studies. Person B gets the SAME EXACT PhD, yet person B uses his education in the glory of God and finds ample evidence of creation. These two people go through the same schooling, get the same degree, yet work in different fields. Then some athiest comes along and automatically assumes Person B has a lesser education than person A.

The Athiest glorifys a man because he has a piece of paper framed on his wall. They criticize a christian for believing what they read in a book or heard from somebody. Yet the athiest does the same thing, they believe what they read in a book, or what somebody tells them, but because its written of told to them from a certain point of view they forget that they are just as religious and deem it "science". They don't think for a minute, "how accurate is this?, could Person A have fudged these results just so he could get the outcome he wanted?, could Person A have lied about his research?" Because you studied it in a book how do you know its true? Because your teacher told you how do you know its true?

"WELL PERSON A GOT HIS DOCTORATE IN "X STUDIES" SO IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE HE WROTE ABOUT IT"

Bias is not 100% eliminatable, to what extremes would a person go to obtain the result they wanted?

Lets take this example. John Doe is researching homosexuals, if they are born that way or influenced somehow. (which btw, regardless of popular OPINION nothing has been proven on that) Ok, so what is John Doe's background, is he gay? is he straight? is he for/against homosexuality regardless of his own sexuality? does he have homosexual children? what kind of result is he initially looking for?

these are the kind of questions one should really ask themselves before taking anthing anybody says about anything into consideration.

and before you go and whine to me, yes there are Christians that are guilty of the same, because they go against what the Bible says and try to please man instead of God.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I, of course,

Quote:
I, of course, disagree with your assertion that we are born atheist.

Based on what grounds?

Quote:
Children assume they are immortal until parents or society tells them otherwise.

No, they don't. And the best proof for that is the existence of instincts: feeding, self-preservation, etc.

Children do not "assume" anything, and they are fully aware that they can get damaged beyond possible healing. What seems to you as "assuming" immortality is simply the fact that they have not yet learned to associate the term "death" with what their instincts tell them.

Quote:
When they are told they will one day die, it goes against everything that feels right to them, and they spend much of the rest of their lives grappling with that disconnect.

And you have reached that conclusion based on what evidence or example, exactly? Because judging by my life, or my sister's life (she is 7 years old now, and fully understands the concept of death), or by the life of almost all my friends or family, this is not the case.

What you say might happen if you force things to go through such a way that the "child" is only introduced to the concept of "death" when he's 15-16, or older. But the reason for which that happens is a bit different: it's not fighting against the concept of death, but fighting against the concept that the ones you trusted have deceived you.

Death doesn't/won't/didn't go against anything that feels right to me. And I'm sure I'm not the only such example on this site.

Quote:
The point is, if there is a God and there is a devil, which I believe, than in denying the existance of God, you are effectively, if not aligning yourself with the devil, than you are putting yourselves in the position to be more susceptible to his lies.

Response from the argument of plurality: You are far more deceived than any of us, for we can be swayed to believe in the one true god, Allah, through natural understanding and proof. You, however, are so caught in the lies of your false god, the one only the devil could have brought to the face of the Earth, that you will never be able to see that there is no salvation except Allah, through his prophet Muhammad.

There you have it. Another argument sent directly to the recycle bin through the power of Plurality(tm).

Quote:
As far as false prophecies, my back up is the Bible, so why waste my time giving you scripture references when you will just tell me I am not being "logical." My silence was a way to save us both time.

Response from the argument of plurality: But the one true god Allah had predicted long beforehand that there will be other, false prophecies. They will come to happen, as even the devil does some good from time to time in search for more adepts. Your puny and vague predictions do not sway us from the one true faith.

There you have it. Another argument sent directly to the recycle bin through the power of Plurality(tm).

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: That is

rexlunae wrote:
That is because you see the world through the eyes of your dogma, which demands that you see things as negative when they are not.

Generally when someone is cussing at me, there is negativity behind that. There is also usually negativity behind sarcasm. Neither of these have anything to do with so-called dogma.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: rexlunae

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
That is because you see the world through the eyes of your dogma, which demands that you see things as negative when they are not.
Generally when someone is cussing at me, there is negativity behind that. There is also usually negativity behind sarcasm. Neither of these have anything to do with so-called dogma.

Yet when some Christians condemn atheists (or other Christians) to hell for not believing in God (or not believing in God in the exact way they do), that's overflowing with positivity?

Sheesh.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Calling atheists "satanic" could certainly be considered antagonism:

Rules:

2.1. Antagonism.
Antagonism is giving one or more members a hard time. Cases typically comprise a series of provocations, each not necessarily sanctionable in its own right. Incidents can include, but are by no means limited to the following:

1. Slander/Libel
  2. Clear intent to not argue a position, but to merely attack a person
  3. Trolling
  4. Abuse
  5. Bullying

Before any kind of "censure" would take place, a lot of things would have to be taken into consideration, including possible antagonism of atheists toward theists.  What we should all be trying to do is debate ideas without making personal attacks.  Sometimes we screw up...all of us.

So I'm posting this as a reminder to myself and to all of us to focus on the issues and not the perceived faults in others.

Thanks. 

Okay, I am definitely sensing a double standard here. For starters, no one has called atheists satanic. Besides, if there is no satan, why does that offend you?

Second, is using the f-word and other cuss words in one's response to another not antagonistic? Because no one has come to my defense when I have been spoken to that way. Also, no one has come to my defense when I have been addressed with biting sarcastic, belittling remarks.

So, is it because I am a Christian that you do not care that I am being antagonized? Do you not see me as your equal?

This double standard speaks much more loudly to me than any logical argument you could ever throw at me. I am taught that all people are equal and deserving of respect regardless of our belief. The conduct on this site tells me we are not all in agreement on that point. You may profess that you believe we are all equal, but your actions say otherwise.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Generally when someone is

sugarfree wrote:

I don't recall cussing you out. How about the posters who have not cussed you out???

Sarcasm as negative?? Purely subjective and in the eye of the beholder. However, sarcasm is usually a response to something that is ridiculous, irrational, and just doesn't make sense. I find sarcasm quite humeroud and positive.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadflyYet when some

jcgadfly wrote:
Yet when some Christians condemn atheists (or other Christians) to hell for not believing in God (or not believing in God in the exact way they do), that's overflowing with positivity?

Sheesh.

If you do not even believe in hell, why should that bother you? Besides, hell is not an accusation. In Christian belief, it is simply a reality, and in Christian belief it is a reality that if people willingly turn away from God and cease to acknowledge him, that person is on the road to hell. So, if a Christian observes that you have done just that, they, out of concern for you, may warn you that you may want to rethink things, otherwise, you may end up there. Granted, the whole concept of hell is a major turn-off and it is extremely difficult to comprehend, but just because I don't like it or fully understand it, doesn't mean it isn't a real possibility.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sugarfree, I have seen you

Sugarfree, I have seen you repeatedly resort to sarcasm and personally attacking your opponent when it appears you have been backed into a corner in a debate. Does this make you a negative person? Does it make you an atheist? Or does it simply make you human like the rest of us?

It does not do any of us any good if we simply run around and agree with each other. I commend you on your efforts to defend your belief, but I recommend that learn the rules of debate and take a critical look at your faith. If you truly believe as you say you do, then your debates should reflect the careful consideration that usually accompanies faith of that magnitude.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema wrote: In

RationalSchema wrote:

In Response to SugarFree: 

What does him saying it 2000 years ago have to do with the price of Tea in China???

He said it 2000 years ago and it is still true. Start talking about Jesus and people start hatin'. The Bible is an accurate prediction of human behavior. Try as you might, you can't escape that.
RationalSchema wrote:
<

As far as your observation of negativity there are two easy disputations.

1. That is you opinion, not based in any actual evidence or reason.

2. Due to you previous beliefs and expectations about atheists you selectively attend to those posts which are negative and disregard the positive and intellectual based posts. Therefore, you continue to reinforce your previous belief that we all have a negative spirit. This is a huge generalization. Not only are you selectively attending to negative posts on this site, you are also generalizing all atheists based ona a small sample of atheists. You are applying a judgement and stereotype to the whole atheist community based on a small portion of the population. This is what we refer to in science as sampling bias.  

It seems to me you have an answer for everything. That's what I've heard some of you say you hate about Christians. "We have an answer for everything."

In my short experience here, you all seem to be no different...you have a logical argument to refute everything. Besides, if what you are saying is true, why has it been so easy for me to find negativity here? I have looked at many threads that I have not posted on, and I see the same negativity. If nothing else, you make a sport of bashing theists, Christianity in particular. Believe me, in church, we don't spend hours talking about how simple-minded atheist are. If anything, we may learn about how to share Christ's good message with you. We are not angry with you, we care about you.

You guys wish to change the world with your message just as much as we do, but I ask you, what do you offer behind the message? We offer the person of Jesus Christ, who wishes to offer you his quidance and love. As Christians, we have stumbled upon something life changing and great, and out of love, we seek to share it. His magnificent character illuminates the negativity here, which explains why some of us are able to see it, and others not.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Sugarfree, I

jce wrote:

Sugarfree, I have seen you repeatedly resort to sarcasm and personally attacking your opponent when it appears you have been backed into a corner in a debate.

Yes, I have, and I have thought about this at night before going to bed, realizing it was wrong, and that in many ways, I have been failing to represent Jesus to you. For that I apologize. And thank you for pointing this out to me so that I was forced to address it to you all.
jce wrote:

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: If you notice

BGH wrote:
If you notice most threads have a few occurances of theists starting arguments, using logical fallacies, being shown they are wrong, instead of addressing the argument they quote the bible, ignoring valid points, switching topic.... then they start a thread to talk about how negative atheists are.
Okay, well is it fair to say you all have very little patience with us theists and you do not give us the chance, often, to learn during the process? Not all of us are quite so enthralled with the art of debate. That does not mean we do not have sound ideas, it just means we have not spent personal or classroom time learning how to express them eloquently. And, why does it anger you so that a person switches the topic? This is a bulletin board on the internet, not a presidential debate. Why do to the rules of engagement have to be so strict. Can't we just talk?
BGH wrote:
I am not a negative person, I think many people here are the same way. I like to try to find solutions, and discuss things in a rational manner.
Yes, you look quite pleasant in your picture.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
RationalSchema wrote:

In Response to SugarFree: 

What does him saying it 2000 years ago have to do with the price of Tea in China???

He said it 2000 years ago and it is still true. Start talking about Jesus and people start hatin'. The Bible is an accurate prediction of human behavior. Try as you might, you can't escape that.
RationalSchema wrote:
<

As far as your observation of negativity there are two easy disputations.

1. That is you opinion, not based in any actual evidence or reason.

2. Due to you previous beliefs and expectations about atheists you selectively attend to those posts which are negative and disregard the positive and intellectual based posts. Therefore, you continue to reinforce your previous belief that we all have a negative spirit. This is a huge generalization. Not only are you selectively attending to negative posts on this site, you are also generalizing all atheists based ona a small sample of atheists. You are applying a judgement and stereotype to the whole atheist community based on a small portion of the population. This is what we refer to in science as sampling bias.  

It seems to me you have an answer for everything. That's what I've heard some of you say you hate about Christians. "We have an answer for everything." In my short experience here, you all seem to be no different...you have a logical argument to refute everything. Besides, if what you are saying is true, why has it been so easy for me to find negativity here? I have looked at many threads that I have not posted on, and I see the same negativity. If nothing else, you make a sport of bashing theists, Christianity in particular. Believe me, in church, we don't spend hours talking about how simple-minded atheist are. If anything, we may learn about how to share Christ's good message with you. We are not angry with you, we care about you. You guys wish to change the world with your message just as much as we do, but I ask you, what do you offer behind the message? We offer the person of Jesus Christ, who wishes to offer you his quidance and love. As Christians, we have stumbled upon something life changing and great, and out of love, we seek to share it. His magnificent character illuminates the negativity here, which explains why some of us are able to see it, and others not.

First, we offer reason, logic, and humanitarianism. Compassion for life right now in this world and respect for knowledge and science. We offer what is true right now. We don't offer mysticism, myth, false hope, and dogma.

Second, Great job of sidestepping my points. Again, I could find negativity anywhere if I look hard enough. By telling me I have an answer to everything you easily avoid addressing the points I make. I think other posters on this thread have called this to your attention. This is just dishonest and you are stooping to what you are complaining about. All I did was point out to you a reasonable and scientifically supported reason for your thoughts about atheists being negative. I didn't label you or put you in a category. At not point have I cussed at you or called you a name. Sorry for having some type of explanation that is not based on mysticism. You can keep believing in the comfort that there is a being that will save you, while I will continue to deal with some of the uncertainties of life.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis wrote: I, of

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
I, of course, disagree with your assertion that we are born atheist. Based on what grounds?
Based on my own personal experience. Please read on.
Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Children assume they are immortal until parents or society tells them otherwise. No, they don’t. And the best proof for that is the existence of instincts: feeding, self-preservation, etc.
I think that answer is much too simplistic. Speaking only for myself, I remember when I was quite young, taking a bath, looking at my arms and my hands, trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the essence of “me” would one day cease to exist. This made absolutely no sense to me. Previous to my introduction to death, I just went on the natural assumption that I existed, and that would not change. Now, why would that be my natural assumption? Cause I was a kid and I was just to dumb to know any better? You will probably just call this a “survival instinct,” but, even if that were the case, why should I even have an instinct for survival? So I could kill a few animals, fill my tummy, and die? You believe that's the only reason we're here? Or so that I could “enjoy” this life? Why?
Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Children do not assume anything, and they are fully aware that they can get damaged beyond possible healing. What seems to you as assuming immortality is simply the fact that they have not yet learned to associate the term death; with what their instincts tell them.
You argument has merit within a worldview where man is two dimensional (mind/body). However, it does not ring true to those of us who have a three-dimensional view of man (mind/body/spirit). What you are attributing to instinct, I am attributing to the wisdom of the spirit (which gets squelched as we get older if we do not consciously work to preserve it), which I believe is immortal. Why don't cats and dogs know they are going to die? Because they are dumber than us? Why are they dumber than us? Why didn't they evolve to build computers and stuff. Why just us? Mere chance?
Rigor_OMortis wrote:
And you have reached that conclusion based on what evidence or example, exactly? Because judging by my life, or my sister’s life (she is 7 years old now, and fully understands the concept of death), or by the life of almost all my friends or family
To be fair, you do not know exactly what is in your sisters in mind. I know, even when I was young, I was contemplating some pretty hefty topics. Perhaps she has dealt with the death of someone close to her, perhaps she has not. In my experience, life constantly involves dealing with death. I have realized this more as I have gotten older, especially having lost a parent a few years ago. No matter what, we help processing it, as it is so difficult a concept to wrap the mind around…you have found atheism helps you deal with it. I however, find more solace and truth in the Christian message.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Death doesn’t, won’t, didn’t go against anything that feels right to me. And I’m sure I’m not the only such example on this site.
Perhaps you are made of stronger stuff than me. I am a sensitive person who has always experienced emotions at a deep level. However, in my past (late-teens) I may have agreed more with you. At that time, I had the confidence of youth (I realize now), where I had not had many bad experiences, nor had anyone close to me ever died. Now that that has occurred in my life, I feel differently about it. I’ve found, for me personally, as I have gotten older, hurts (i.e., the difficulties of life) have a way of stacking up on each other and becoming too difficult to manage alone. This is where I have found relief in Jesus, because he takes the hurts, one after another…it is a process of peeling back the stored up hurts little by little, giving them to him. I know that may sound silly to you. You may say, why don’t you just go to a counselor. Sure that can help too. Except, in my case, the same hurts…ones I thought I had already dealt with, kept coming back and again and again. This became quite exhausting. Learning about Jesus, studying his words, is teaching me how to work thru the hurts so that they don’t come back, and how to live life in such a way that they don’t just keep building up over time.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Response from the argument of plurality: You are far more deceived than any of us, for we can be swayed to believe in the one true god, Allah, through natural understanding and proof. You, however, are so caught in the lies of your false god, the one only the devil could have brought to the face of the Earth, that you will never be able to see that there is no salvation except Allah, through his prophet Muhammad.
Can we be in agreement that it is, indeed, very detrimental to call the truth lies, and vice versa? Regardless of your plurality argument…
Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Response from the argument of plurality: But the one true god Allah had predicted long beforehand that there will be other, false prophecies. They will come to happen, as even the devil does some good from time to time in search for more adepts. Your puny and vague predictions do not sway us from the one true faith.

Is this from the Koran or are you making it up?

I am not sure if this applies to what you are trying to argue here, but I am not going to deny that Godly truth can be found in other religions. It’s just that, (no, I haven’t studied eeeeeeevery philosophy on earth) given the philosophies that have been presented to me throughout my life, Christianity, to me is the most complete truth. I have found that since I decided to put my full trust in Christ, he has continually and faithfully pieced together truths for me so that this experience called life has started make a whole lot more since.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: jcgadfly

sugarfree wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

Sheesh.

If you do not even believe in hell, why should that bother you? Besides, hell is not an accusation. In Christian belief, it is simply a reality, and in Christian belief it is a reality that if people willingly turn away from God and cease to acknowledge him, that person is on the road to hell. So, if a Christian observes that you have done just that, they, out of concern for you, may warn you that you may want to rethink things, otherwise, you may end up there. Granted, the whole concept of hell is a major turn-off and it is extremely difficult to comprehend, but just because I don't like it or fully understand it, doesn't mean it isn't a real possibility.

It just seems funny that when an atheist examines a Christian's arguments and find them wanting, the Christian accuses the atheist of hating him or being negative. However, when the Christian comes off with statements that imply they're better than everyone else because they believe in a God in a certain way, the receivers of the message have to understand that the Christian is warning them because they love them so much.

I was unaware that condecension equaled love in the Christian mindset. I don't think it's Biblical but Paul may have rewritten things to let you off the hook .

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema

RationalSchema wrote:
First, we offer reason, logic, and humanitarianism. Compassion for life right now in this world and respect for knowledge and science.
As for humanitarianism, I argue that humans aren't so great. We have a lot of potential, but we will always disappoint.
RationalSchema wrote:

Second, Great job of sidestepping my points.
I don't expect you to understand this, but I do not necessarily say what I want to say here. I think about what I want to say, compare it to what I understand about Jesus's character, and if what I want to say is not in line with his character, I try not to say it (sometimes stuff slips out, tho.) I also, taking Jesus's character into consideration, think about what should be said in the situation, and I try say that (again, not always getting it right.) That is a little insight into the Christian mind. I do not view myself as an end in myself, therefore, I try my best to compare myself to the best model we have in all of history, and act accordingly. So, that is part of the reason why I engage in some arguments and not in others. I'm not here to play logic games, I'm here to talk to you.
RationalSchema wrote:
You can keep believing in the comfort that there is a being that will save you
Amen. I pray I will continue to follow Jesus for the rest of my life.
RationalSchema wrote:
while I will continue to deal with some of the uncertainties of life.
I will deal with the uncertainties with Jesus by my side.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree, you continue to

sugarfree, you continue to carp about what you perceive as atheists' negativity, as well as the sarcasm some of them employ.  Yet you remain blind to your own negativity and sarcasm -- whether in addressing atheism, or other religions.  Recall (once again!) your haughty attitude when I first asked you about islam and mormonism.  What could be more negative than you blurting "false prophecies", then dodging the issue from that point onward?

Did jesus predict your hypocrisy?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
As for humanitarianism, I

As for humanitarianism, I argue that humans aren't so great. We have a lot of potential, but we will always disappoint.
RationalSchema wrote:

Wow, sounds like a lot of negativity about humanity here.

Questions: If we are not so great then how come we were created in God's image?? I thought we were the chosen ones and other animals were put here for us??

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: KSMB

sugarfree wrote:
KSMB wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I am concerned that some bending of the rules has taken place. Calling atheists "satanic" could certainly be considered antagonism

Yes, but we forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Iruka, I'm not calling you or anyone here a satanist, but if a person does not recognize that satan exists and does not know his ways, then that person is more susceptible to his influence. In fact I go so far as to say, satan loves it when people say he doesn't exist because it makes his job easier.

sugarfree, I was a Christian for close to twenty years and studied the bible almost daily during that time.  I had no choice.  It was forced upon me by my parents and school.

In the last stage of my religious mental illness, I was a charismatic.  My friends and I all thought we were "god warriors."  We sensed Satan and his demons behind every bush.  We prayed in tongues, discerned spirits and lived our lives according to our own reality, a reality which didn't exist.

Once I stopped believing, I stopped having paranormal experiences, many of which were negative and involved Satan and his minions.  Now that I can be honest with myself, I never sensed or saw anything.  I only interpreted natural occurrences or coincidences according to my worldview at the time.  If I was sensing Satan and a curtain billowed, a demon was doing it.  I never thought to look and see if the window was open or if there was a stiff breeze.  Hell, I sensed and "saw" demons all the time.

When I came to my senses, these "paranormal" experiences stopped completely.  This is one of my favorite quotes because it so epitomizes what happened to me:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it doesn't go away."-- Philip K. Dick  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Did

zarathustra wrote:
Did jesus predict your hypocrisy?

Yes, he made it quite clear that we are sinners who fall short of God's glory, which certainly includes me. I did not mean to sound haughty about the Islam thing. I apologize.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Sugarfree, I was a Christian for close to twenty years and studied the bible almost daily during that time. I had no choice. It was forced upon me by my parents and school.
Then, I can already tell this was a bad environment. No one can be forced into Christianity. As you are an example, it has to be something a person willingly enters into.
Iruka Naminori wrote:
In the last stage of my religious mental illness, I was a charismatic.
Perhaps in your case you did develop a sort of mental illness. However, I don’t think that means religion, in itself, is a mental illness. I also would argue that you completely missed out on Jesus. Did you feel a love for Jesus? Did you understand his sacrifice for you? If your early teachings never helped you make these connections, then perhaps your teachers were not doing their job.
Iruka Naminori wrote:
My friends and I all thought we were god warriors. We sensed Satan and his demons behind every bush.
Yes, I agree this is not healthy. If you found you were spending more time on the lookout for satan, than on meditating over Jesus’s message, that was definitly a problem.
Iruka Naminori wrote:
We prayed in tongues, discerned spirits .
I pray in English. As far as discerning spirits, this kind of behavior to me is troublesome, I agree with you. Here’s what I have come to understand, via reading the Bible and via sound teaching. The spirit world is there, it exists, and it is dangerous to delve into it. So, I just don’t think about it. I do not have to worry about it. Jesus is my sheild.
Iruka Naminori wrote:
I stopped having paranormal experiences, many of which were negative and involved Satan and his minions. Now that I can be honest with myself, I never sensed or saw anything. I only interpreted natural occurrences or coincidences according to my worldview at the time. If I was sensing Satan and a curtain billowed, a demon was doing it. I never thought to look and see if the window was open or if there was a stiff breeze. Hell, I sensed and saw demons all the time.
Yes, this kind of excessive focus on demons and the devil and such is very bad. And focusing on it in this manner is not Biblical. I do not know what the person was thinking when they taught you that. It sounds like you developed a sort of OCD with the focus being these thoughts about demons and things.
Iruka Naminori wrote:
When I came to my senses, these paranormal experiences stopped completely.
Personally, I have never had a real or made up paranormal experience. I’m glad you stopped focusing on satan. That is unhealthy. I would argue, however, that to simply say he does not exist is a risk because it leaves you un-protected. Jesus and his message is the protection. Your focus should have been on Jesus rather than satan and his minions.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: However,

jcgadfly wrote:
However, when the Christian comes off with statements that imply they're better than everyone else because they believe in a God in a certain way, the receivers of the message have to understand that the Christian is warning them because they love them so much.

Why does me talking about hell make you think that I think I am better than you? Also, why do you find it hard to believe that I might care about you? Just curious.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I think that answer

Quote:
I think that answer is much too simplistic. Speaking only for myself, I remember when I was quite young, taking a bath, looking at my arms and my hands, trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the essence of “me” would one day cease to exist. This made absolutely no sense to me. Previous to my introduction to death, I just went on the natural assumption that I existed, and that would not change. Now, why would that be my natural assumption? Cause I was a kid and I was just to dumb to know any better? You will probably just call this a “survival instinct,” but, even if that were the case, why should I even have an instinct for survival? So I could kill a few animals, fill my tummy, and die? You believe that's the only reason we're here? Or so that I could “enjoy” this life? Why?

Wow, you say that my answer is too simplistic, and yet you give an even more simplistic one as a reply. Essentially what you are describing here is your inability to imagine non-existence, as a kid. Well, I'm just fine with that, and I respect your condition, but that doesn't mean you should extend it to all the others. Once you have an opinion, first ask yourself whether that is an UNCOMMON condition, and do not go forth assuming that everyone else fits into it.

Why should that be your natural assumption? I have no idea. I wasn't raised in the same manner as you were. Perhaps you are the lucky one to develop mental faculties differently from others. Or perhaps that is common where you live. It surely isn't where I live, though. Parents here are not afraid to introduce children to concepts such as pain, bodily deterioration or death.

As a personal example: the first time that I remember to have witnessed death directly and uncensored was at age 4 (I can't remember anything that goes before that particular age), when my family was slaying a pig, at Christmas. Interestingly, though, at that time I remember having already developed the concept of death, and my questions were more regarding the process: why does blood drip out? where is blood stored? what does loss of blood cause? and why? etc.

Quote:
To be fair, you do not know exactly what is in your sisters in mind. I know, even when I was young, I was contemplating some pretty hefty topics. Perhaps she has dealt with the death of someone close to her, perhaps she has not. In my experience, life constantly involves dealing with death. I have realized this more as I have gotten older, especially having lost a parent a few years ago. No matter what, we help processing it, as it is so difficult a concept to wrap the mind around…you have found atheism helps you deal with it. I however, find more solace and truth in the Christian message.

Yes, of course, I have no certainty that my interpretation of what's going on through her mind is accurate. Through her questions and words, though, I reached that conclusion as the most plausible.

What you said, though, kind of supports my statements above. So does what you said later on:

Quote:
Perhaps you are made of stronger stuff than me. I am a sensitive person who has always experienced emotions at a deep level. However, in my past (late-teens) I may have agreed more with you. At that time, I had the confidence of youth (I realize now), where I had not had many bad experiences, nor had anyone close to me ever died. Now that that has occurred in my life, I feel differently about it. I’ve found, for me personally, as I have gotten older, hurts (i.e., the difficulties of life) have a way of stacking up on each other and becoming too difficult to manage alone. This is where I have found relief in Jesus, because he takes the hurts, one after another…it is a process of peeling back the stored up hurts little by little, giving them to him. I know that may sound silly to you. You may say, why don’t you just go to a counselor. Sure that can help too. Except, in my case, the same hurts…ones I thought I had already dealt with, kept coming back and again and again. This became quite exhausting. Learning about Jesus, studying his words, is teaching me how to work thru the hurts so that they don’t come back, and how to live life in such a way that they don’t just keep building up over time.

Baffled I always am at people not noticing the obvious at all times: we are different, extremely different, both in physical and in mental respects (I will make an abstraction from the fact that mental finally reduces to physical as well). You didn't seem to take this into consideration a few paragraphs ago, but you do take it into consideration now.

By the way, I really don't like counsellors...

You have found relief only through belief in a crucified sky-daddy. I need no such fantasy.

Quote:
Can we be in agreement that it is, indeed, very detrimental to call the truth lies, and vice versa? Regardless of your plurality argument…

Yes.

Quote:
Is this from the Koran or are you making it up?

I'm not quoting the Qu'ran, but merely I'm using your own argument against you, from a different perspective. What I intend to prove is that almost any argument a theist brings in favor of/against a religion works just as well with/against any religion

Quote:
I am not sure if this applies to what you are trying to argue here, but I am not going to deny that Godly truth can be found in other religions. It’s just that, (no, I haven’t studied eeeeeeevery philosophy on earth) given the philosophies that have been presented to me throughout my life, Christianity, to me is the most complete truth. I have found that since I decided to put my full trust in Christ, he has continually and faithfully pieced together truths for me so that this experience called life has started make a whole lot more since.

No, it doesn't apply. It's completely unrelated.

But you do realize that for other people it's other religions that "make more sense", just the way christianity makes to you. That leaves us in the same dillemma as before, since we still have absolutely no way of determining which religion is the true one (the ONLY true one, since they are all mutually exclusive).

OK, back on topic now.

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
...another example of how

...another example of how we atheists are supposed to take advice from christians that they don't follow themselves.

JesusLovesYou should follow his own advice and doubt the existence of Jesus. Back then the average life span was about 35. Odds are that if Jesus was not executed he would have died of ill health not long thereafter. So, in all likelihood, Jesus is dead and dead people are incapable of love and so Jesus does not love me or anyone else. Take your own advice and ask, how can I trust the bible when it says so many highly unlikely (to put it mildly)things?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Person A (we are figuratively speaking here cuz i know you will probably cry about something) gets a PhD in the field of scientific studies. Person B gets the SAME EXACT PhD, yet person B uses his education in the glory of God and finds ample evidence of creation.

Actually, this is generally untrue. "Person B", the creationist, often doesn't get the exact same PhD. He often gets a degree in engineering, or some other field that has nothing to do with biology.

Then fundies like yourself, who are unable to grasp the difference, try to equate an engineering degree with a biology degree.

Just because you have a degree doesn't mean that you are able to speak with authority on any field at all.

Quote:

These two people go through the same schooling, get the same degree, yet work in different fields.

LOL

You really don't get it, do you?

When I have my PhD in psychology, will I somehow gain the power to be an engineer? Or a medical doctor?

Will I have the same knowledge as a PhD in history, or mathematics?

Think about what you're saying.

Quote:

Then some athiest comes along and automatically assumes Person B has a lesser education than person A.

No, what the atheist does is point out that a biologist likely knows more about biology than an engineer.

Quote:
?

"WELL PERSON A GOT HIS DOCTORATE IN "X STUDIES" SO IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE HE WROTE ABOUT IT"

I'm sure this is how it all looks to you, in your ignorance.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote: You

JesusLovesYou wrote:

You twist and contort my statement my good man. I was not asserting that there is a lack of evidence of creation, because there is AMPLE evidence. I was asserting is that, what you call "evolution" is just as much of a belief as you claim christianity is.

Wrong again. Evolution is a naturalistic explanation. Christianity involves a supernatural claim. They are not equitable for this reason alone.

Quote:

Yes it has been proven that ENVIRONMENTAL ADAPTATION within an animals KIND takes place,  

Not really. You clearly don't know what you're talking about here, but that doesn't stop you from asserting, does it?

Quote:
  I will research this, i promise, but i honestly believe that the suicide rate is much greater within athiest ranks

You still can't spell 'atheist' correctly, can you, even after being corrected?

Quote:

than those of chrsitianity. I pray for you all, i seriously do.

You're just desparate to find anything that will let you cling to your beliefs, aren't you?

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_Omortis wrote: Wow,

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Wow, you say that my answer is too simplistic, and yet you give an even more simplistic one as a reply. Essentially what you are describing here is your inability to imagine non-existence, as a kid. Well, I'm just fine with that, and I respect your condition, but that doesn't mean you should extend it to all the others.
You have told me not to extend my experience to apply to all others, but then, neither is it safe for you to assume that your experience (and consequent conclusions) as a child was any more true than mine. With that, mustn’t we leave both possiblities on the table? That possibly we are immortal, and possibly we are not?
Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Once you have an opinion, first ask yourself whether that is an UNCOMMON condition, and do not go forth assuming that everyone else fits into it.
Why do you assume my experience was uncommon? Simply for the fact that it was different than yours?
Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Perhaps you are the lucky one to develop mental faculties differently from others.
I do not understand the intended meaning of this sentence.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Or perhaps that is common where you live.
That would be the US of A.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Parents here are not afraid to introduce children to concepts such as pain, bodily deterioration or death.
Neither were my parents. Death came up when it came up. Probably the first time with the death of a pet. But, then I remember too, a death of an aunt, which could have been what really got me thinking.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Yes, of course, I have no certainty that my interpretation of what’s going on through her mind is accurate. Through her questions and words, though, I reached that conclusion as the most plausible. What you said, though, kind of supports my statements above.
I’m not following your line of thought here.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Baffled I always am at people not noticing the obvious at all times: we are different, extremely different, both in physical and in mental respects (I will make an abstraction from the fact that mental finally reduces to physical as well). You didn’t seem to take this into consideration a few paragraphs ago, but you do take it into consideration now.
Again, not following your train of thought here.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
crucified sky-daddy. I need no such fantasy.
Well, I have done my best to show you that you might some day have a need to seek outside yourself for ultimate truth. That is all I can do.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
I’m not quoting the Quran, but merely I’m using your own argument against you, from a different perspective. What I intend to prove is that almost any argument a theist brings in favor of/against a religion works just as well with/against any religion
I believe that Christianity embodies truth more comprehensively than any religion that I have had the opportunity to be exposed to. The Bible is an accurate predictor of human nature, which is just one of the many reasons I feel it can be trusted. But like you said, I believe Muslims feel that way about their texts, Hindus, etc. However, I have made a conscious choice to follow the path I am now on at the cost of excluding those texts, and so far I have no regrets.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
But you do realize that for other people it’s other religions that make more sense, just the way christianity makes to you. That leaves us in the same dillemma as before, since we still have absolutely no way of determining which religion is the true one (the ONLY true one, since they are all mutually exclusive).
Yes, but you make the same absolutist statements about atheism. You think you are right at the exclusion of all other philosophies. So, we all do it, to some extent, when we chose the path we will follow. The only way around that is to never make a choice. Well, I’d rather take a risk, make a choice, commit to what I believe is right, and see what happens from there.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: ]I

sugarfree wrote:
]I believe that Christianity embodies truth more comprehensively than any religion that I have had the opportunity to be exposed to.

Comments like this are so dishonest, and even you had to temper your statement because of your realization of this.

You simply do not know as much about other religions than you do about the religion you were raised in. You're really, honestly, not making a choice, but simply following a pre-programmed blueprint set up by your parents, your family and your culture.

If there were no correlation between religious belief and geography, then you could be taken seriously. Why not just admit that a very big part of the reason you are a christian is geographical?

Quote:

The Bible is an accurate predictor of human nature, which is just one of the many reasons I feel it can be trusted.

This is more nonsense... you should say that your interpretations of the parts of the bible you pay attention to, are accurate predictors... and then you should realize how circular that is...

Quote:

But like you said, I believe Muslims feel that way about their texts, Hindus, etc.

Right. And why is that?

Answer that, and then apply your answer to yourself.

Quote:

However, I have made a conscious choice to follow the path I am now

Do you really, honestly, think that the Muslim doesn't come up with the same desparate rationalization? 

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
Rigor_Omortis wrote:
crucified sky-daddy. I need no such fantasy.
Well, I have done my best to show you that you might some day have a need to seek outside yourself for ultimate truth. That is all I can do.

Most atheists look to the real world for the truth, which is outside of us.

sugarfree wrote:
I believe that Christianity embodies truth more comprehensively than any religion that I have had the opportunity to be exposed to. The Bible is an accurate predictor of human nature, which is just one of the many reasons I feel it can be trusted. But like you said, I believe Muslims feel that way about their texts, Hindus, etc. However, I have made a conscious choice to follow the path I am now on at the cost of excluding those texts, and so far I have no regrets.

You should read the Book of Mormon some time. I have. It's a much more interesting story than the Bible, and it's clear that its author also has an understanding of human nature. However, that does not make it true.

sugarfree wrote:
Yes, but you make the same absolutist statements about atheism. You think you are right at the exclusion of all other philosophies. So, we all do it, to some extent, when we chose the path we will follow. The only way around that is to never make a choice. Well, I’d rather take a risk, make a choice, commit to what I believe is right, and see what happens from there.

Atheism is not a philosophy, it is the lack of certain philosophies. Nor does atheism inherently exclude all philosophies. For instance, Buddists are atheists.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You have told me not

Quote:
You have told me not to extend my experience to apply to all others, but then, neither is it safe for you to assume that your experience (and consequent conclusions) as a child was any more true than mine. With that, mustn’t we leave both possiblities on the table? That possibly we are immortal, and possibly we are not?

The discussion wasn't about whether or not we are immortal, but about how we come to understand and cope with death. I'm not assuming that my view is right, or the "normal" one, I'm only asking you to notice that yours has just about the same weight as mine. Once we agree with this, and it seems that we have, there's no need to push forward.

Quote:
Why do you assume my experience was uncommon? Simply for the fact that it was different than yours?

I did not assume your was uncommon, I was trying to negate your indirect claim that it should be common.

Quote:
I’m not following your line of thought here.

Nevermind. Same as before, it was an attempt to stop you from making that generalization that a child assumes immortality until proven mortal. Same goes for the other points you missed.

Quote:

I'm not going to argue much on you here. After all it's your choice, and I cannot do anything but respect it. My question is what was the real reason for which you chose that particular religion and not another one? Since you yourself have indirectly implied that there's not much difference between different holy books.

So far you have had no regrets... is there any reason why you should regret choosing one religion over the other? Perhaps in a radicalist state, but definitely not in the US. Should you have been born in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure your posts would have been an identical copy, but with the words Allah, Islamism, Muhammad placed accordingly, hence my original "responses from the argument of plurality".

Quote:

Atheists never said they exclude philosophies, they only said they exclude religions and gods.

In my opinion you are wrong about making a choice. Everyone is forced to make a choice out of simply the nature of religion. The only thing that most people aren't aware about is the fact that the choices aren't only religion and atheism. The choices are: religion 1, religion 2, religion 3, ..., religion n and only then atheism. Any religion until now is just as exclusive towards others as atheism is exclusive towards all of them. you say you'd rather take a risk, but what you don't realize (and what makes you confident in your choice) is that you have just as many chances to choose wrong as I as an atheist have. Your religion certainly doesn't stand out of the crowd by anything.

The problem that atheists identify with this is, and I will quote you directly: "commit to what I believe is right" - this commitment is the problem. You waste time and effort only for the chance of 1 in a few thousand that you are right (because that's how many religions are/were). An atheist doesn't waste that time (unless he's a debater like us here - joking).

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis wrote:

Rigor_OMortis wrote:

My question is what was the real reason for which you chose that particular religion and not another one?
JESUS.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Since you yourself have indirectly implied that there's not much difference between different holy books.
I did not mean to imply this. Other books contain some truth. The Bible contains the complete truth.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
So far you have had no regrets...
It sounds as tho some of you here regret ever being a Christian. However, I do not feel that way.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Should you have been born in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure your posts would have been an identical copy, but with the words Allah, Islamism, Muhammad placed accordingly, hence my original "responses from the argument of plurality".
There is no way to prove this. However, there is no Jesus in Islam, as least, not the Jesus I know.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
Atheists never said they exclude philosophies, they only said they exclude religions and gods.
Which makes it is exclusionary.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
In my opinion you are wrong about making a choice. Everyone is forced to make a choice out of simply the nature of religion. The only thing that most people aren't aware about is the fact that the choices aren't only religion and atheism. The choices are: religion 1, religion 2, religion 3, ..., religion n and only then atheism. Any religion until now is just as exclusive towards others as atheism is exclusive towards all of them. you say you'd rather take a risk, but what you don't realize (and what makes you confident in your choice) is that you have just as many chances to choose wrong as I as an atheist have. Your religion certainly doesn't stand out of the crowd by anything.
No other religion has a central figure like Jesus. However, you are allowed to have your opinion regarding my choice.

Rigor_OMortis wrote:
An atheist doesn't waste that time (unless he's a debater like us here - joking).
Unless you are wrong about God, which is the risk you have chosen to take.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: Most

rexlunae wrote:
How do come to find moral truths? By watching other people?

rexlunae wrote:
You should read the Book of Mormon some time. I have. It's a much more interesting story than the Bible, and it's clear that its author also has an understanding of human nature. However, that does not make it true.
Then is contains some truths, but in the process distorts the truths of the Bible.

rexlunae wrote:
Atheism is not a philosophy, it is the lack of certain philosophies. Nor does atheism inherently exclude all philosophies. For instance, Buddists are atheists.
It is a way of thinking which shapes your worldview so I would call it a philosophy.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
How do come to find moral truths? By watching other people?

Well, there are not absolute moral truths. I pick and have picked morals with which I am comfortable, specifically ones which emphasize compassion, based upon family, cultural influences, and personal desires.

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
Then is contains some truths, but in the process distorts the truths of the Bible.

And you know this how? By guessing? Have you read it?

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
It is a way of thinking which shapes your worldview so I would call it a philosophy.

It is my positive rejection of Christian dogma that you are picking up on, not my atheism. That does effect my worldview, but it does not exclude me from considering other philosophies. I have considered and rejected several theistic systems, as well as several non-theistic ones. Can you say the same?

I really am serious about recommending the BoM. You can probably get it for free from a Mormon, and it's not nearly as dry and incoherent as the Bible. Who knows, maybe you'll even find something important in it. It's really quite satisfying to have a reason for rejecting a religion, other than ignorance.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree

sugarfree wrote:
Rigor_OMortis wrote:

My question is what was the real reason for which you chose that particular religion and not another one?
JESUS.

This is just more BS. You're a christian because you grew up in a christian culture... the justification for being a christian only comes after you grow up with the pre programming....

Muslims give the same arguments you give... they can even cite Jesus as a reason for being a Muslim.... 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: BGH

sugarfree wrote:
BGH wrote:
I am not a negative person, I think many people here are the same way. I like to try to find solutions, and discuss things in a rational manner.
Yes, you look quite pleasant in your picture.

Thank you! LOL. 

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Comments

todangst wrote:

Comments like this are so dishonest, and even you had to temper your statement because of your realization of this.

Well, the reason I said it like that was so I wouldn't get blasted by you all saying "what about Jainism" and stuff like that, because I don't want to revisit that argument.

todangst wrote:

You simply do not know as much about other religions than you do about the religion you were raised in. You're really, honestly, not making a choice, but simply following a pre-programmed blueprint set up by your parents, your family and your culture.

I have more access to this type of knowledge than any other time in history, and even with that, I have still come to the obvious conclusion.

todangst wrote:
If there were no correlation between religious belief and geography, then you could be taken seriously. Why not just admit that a very big part of the reason you are a christian is geographical?
There are Christians all over the world. It is dying in places like Europe, but coming alive in places like China, so who are you to say I would or wouldn't be a Christian if I had been born somewhere else.

todangst wrote:

This is more nonsense... you should say that your interpretations of the parts of the bible you pay attention to, are accurate predictors... and then you should realize how circular that is...

I am backed up by scholars, teachers, other Christians. And isn't it true that good literature manages to keep itself alive while the stuff that's not so good ends up in the garbage heap. The Bible has proven it's relevance for thousands of years and will continue to do so regardless of what you or I say.

todangst wrote:
Quote:

But like you said, I believe Muslims feel that way about their texts, Hindus, etc.

Right. And why is that?

Answer that, and then apply your answer to yourself.

The same reason you are so convinced of your atheist beliefs. You looked at life and deduced that atheism made the most sense to you.

Listen, what I'm here trying to tell you is that there is this man who was loving, kind, and just, who predicted his death beforehand, who died and came back to life, thus conquering death. Still, this is not enough evidence to you for God. Must God repeat the same scenario every generation to prove his existence? Then, might you believe? If you saw it with your own eyes? Or would you say, Jesus had a twin all along and we didn't know it, what a deceiver he was. A person can't believe in Jesus half way. You must either believe he was God incarnate, assume he was a crazy man, or think he was is fiction.  I am placing my bets on the seemingly, most outlandish of them all, the first one. Why, because, ironically, after thorough study, it makes sense. Now, you can compare religions all you want, saying they're all the same and all that, but as for me, I have chosen to allow myself to look like a fool in front of people like you because of what Jesus has done for me.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: Well, there

rexlunae wrote:
Well, there are not absolute moral truths. I pick and have picked morals with which I am comfortable, specifically ones which emphasize compassion, based upon family, cultural influences, and personal desires.
So, when someone criticizes my faith saying, I use it as a crutch to make me more comfortable in this world...could, then, that same argument apply to you since you have said you picked only those that made you comfortable. And how about this, a 50 year old man rapes a 4 year old girl. Is that not absolutely wrong in ALL situations, therefore making in non-relative? Can you give me a situation where that would ever be a "good" think, relatively speaking?

rexlunae wrote:

I know they believe we will all one day be Gods, and that enough. That teaching is not supported by the Bible.

rexlunae wrote:
It is my positive rejection of Christian dogma that you are picking up on, not my atheism. That does effect my worldview, but it does not exclude me from considering other philosophies.
You're lack of belief in God greatly affects your worldview. Just as my belief in God greatly affects mine.

rexlunae wrote:
I have considered and rejected several theistic systems, as well as several non-theistic ones. Can you say the same?
I have done what I feel to be an adequate amount of searching, after which, I made my decision.

rexlunae wrote:
I really am serious about recommending the BoM. You can probably get it for free from a Mormon, and it's not nearly as dry and incoherent as the Bible. Who knows, maybe you'll even find something important in it. It's really quite satisfying to have a reason for rejecting a religion, other than ignorance.
Thank you but I am not completely ignorant of Mormonism. They make some funny movies too.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have more access to this

I have more access to this type of knowledge than any other time in history, and even with that, I have still come to the obvious conclusion.

Christianity is the obvious conclusion? You can explain that to 4 billion people.

There are Christians all over the world. It is dying in places like Europe, but coming alive in places like China, so who are you to say I would or wouldn't be a Christian if I had been born somewhere else.

Over here in China, Christianity is sort of taking off because religion pisses off the government. I have been to Chinese churches, they are very nice. The people don't actually believe that a guy walked on water and turned water into wine and died for their sins.

Also, yes, geography has absolutely everything to do with religion. Admit it. In Saudi Arabia, Islam is law. To be a Saudi citizen, you have to be Muslim. So your parents would be Muslim, so well...you would pretty much have 100% chance of being Muslim, thus making it no suprise that the religious diversity in Saudi Arabia looks like this:

Sunni Islam-100%

I am backed up by scholars, teachers, other Christians. And isn't it true that good literature manages to keep itself alive while the stuff that's not so good ends up in the garbage heap. The Bible has proven it's relevance for thousands of years and will continue to do so regardless of what you or I say.

There are holy books that have outlasted the Bible for mellenia. The Vedic scripture predates even the Old Testament by a good few thousand years.

Listen, what I'm here trying to tell you is that there is this man who was loving, kind, and just, who predicted his death beforehand, who died and came back to life, thus conquering death.

Jesus' ressurection is just mythology. There is no way possible a body could survive rigor mortis for three days.

still, this is not enough evidence to you for God

Such condescending arrogance! Honestly, for the hundred thousandth time, what evidence is there that the bible is valid which does not resort to you reasoning an a circle? Ever heard of Occam's Razor? Standard principle in science: The simplest explanation is always correct. The simplest is not the simplest to understand, but rather the one with the least presuppositions. In this case, the Jesus story as posited by Christian theologians fails over and over again.  Virgin birth? Forget it. That's been invalid for 300 years since the discovery of the egg cell in 1724. Resurrection...well, we all know that God's son dying for our sins is ripped off other mythology like Dionysius.

. Must God repeat the same scenario every generation to prove his existence? Then, might you believe? If you saw it with your own eyes? Or would you say, Jesus had a twin all along and we didn't know it, what a deceiver he was.

If I saw it before my own eyes I would probably believe. But such an elaborate scenario seems ridiculously unnecessary, in effect, reducing God to a pathetic conjurer of cheap tricks. Turning water into wine? What are you, fucking crazy? All he has to do is have his voice boom down from the heavens and everyone will believe. But this, of course, is ridiculous. The idea that God could speak is a non sequiter because speech requires air in one's lungs, and if God is not composed of matter, he cannot speak because that requires the conduction of sound, which is made of matter, which...

person can't believe in Jesus half way. You must either believe he was God incarnate, assume he was a crazy man, or think he was is fiction.

Mad, bad or God? A shitty trillema. What about an explanation that you would give to every other religious prophet in history. He was deluded. Muhammed recieved the revelations for the Quran for 23 years in Cave Hira from Jibreel. Now 1 billion people follow his message. We could apply the same trillema you set up for Jesus to him easily.

I am placing my bets on the seemingly, most outlandish of them all, the first one. Why, because, ironically, after thorough study, it makes sense. Now, you can compare religions all you want, saying they're all the same and all that, but as for me, I have chosen to allow myself to look like a fool in front of people like you because of what Jesus has done for me.

You haven't justified your religion in any way. You're right for once, it's by far the most outlandish, and it fails Occams Razor. Your statements about "we can compare religions all we want" is just a cop-out to weasal out of the fact that you cannot justify your religion from a rational epistimology.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Christianity is the obvious conclusion? You can explain that to 4 billion people.

Who might those 4 billion people be. I didn't catch that.

deludedgod wrote:
Over here in China, Christianity is sort of taking off because religion pisses off the government. I have been to Chinese churches, they are very nice. The people don't actually believe that a guy walked on water and turned water into wine and died for their sins.
Umm, I don't think so. We support a couple missionaries over there and from what I hear they are quite fervent believers who risk going to jail for their faith.

deludedgod wrote:
Also, yes, geography has absolutely everything to do with religion. Admit it. In Saudi Arabia, Islam is law. To be a Saudi citizen, you have to be Muslim. So your parents would be Muslim, so well...you would pretty much have 100% chance of being Muslim, thus making it no suprise that the religious diversity in Saudi Arabia looks like this:

Sunni Islam-100%

Well, yeah, Saudi is on the top of the offenders list for Christian persecution. There are Christians there. They believe at the risk of death. Yet they still believe. Why do you think that is?

deludedgod wrote:
There are holy books that have outlasted the Bible for mellenia. The Vedic scripture predates even the Old Testament by a good few thousand years.
And don't you agree that these works have survived due to their timelessness? In other words, there is good to be learned from the Bible, contrary to what some of you might say, it is a worthy book to study if you want to learn about human nature.

deludedgod wrote:

Jesus' ressurection is just mythology. There is no way possible a body could survive rigor mortis for three days.

If God created the universe, I'm sure he knows how to raise a man from the dead.

deludedgod wrote:
Such condescending arrogance! Honestly, for the hundred thousandth time, what evidence is there that the bible is valid which does not resort to you reasoning an a circle?
1. I have pointed out it's timelessness. 2. The writings of the NT were completed in less than 150 years, which does not leave time for the type of complex mythical development you are suggesting. 3. Where is Jesus's tomb? 4. Why did the disciples attribute the first seeing of the resurrected Jesus to women when woman were viewed a subclass. Why didn't the disciples say THEY were the first to see him? Why didn't they take that opportunity to puff themselves up? 5. Why were the disciples so selfless? 6. Why did Paul immediately go from killing Christians to becoming it's most outspoken supporter? 7. How did the disciples manage to convert thousands in one day? (Has your atheist message ever done that?)

deludedgod wrote:

Virgin birth? Forget it. That's been invalid for 300 years since the discovery of the egg cell in 1724. Resurrection...well, we all know that God's son dying for our sins is ripped off other mythology like Dionysius.

Well, obviously if you do not believe in an all-powerful God, you would not believe a virgin birth was possible. And, no we do not all know about Dionysius, care to share? Don't bother with Mithras, already looked into that one.

deludedgod wrote:
If I saw it before my own eyes I would probably believe. But such an elaborate scenario seems ridiculously unnecessary, in effect, reducing God to a pathetic conjurer of cheap tricks. Turning water into wine? What are you, fucking crazy?
Creating the universe is a cheap trick? I would say you are hard to please then.

deludedgod wrote:
All he has to do is have his voice boom down from the heavens and everyone will believe.
Perhaps he does not want to make it that easy for us. He has given us just enough information to separate those who truly wish to seek him from those who would rather rely on themselves.

deludedgod wrote:
The idea that God could speak is a non sequiter because speech requires air in one's lungs, and if God is not composed of matter, he cannot speak because that requires the conduction of sound, which is made of matter, which...
Well, yes, if you define God by the standards of this world, but he is not of this world.

deludedgod wrote:

Mad, bad or God? A shitty trillema. What about an explanation that you would give to every other religious prophet in history.

I believe that would fall into the crazy category.

deludedgod wrote:

You haven't justified your religion in any way. You're right for once, it's by far the most outlandish, and it fails Occams Razor. Your statements about "we can compare religions all we want" is just a cop-out to weasal out of the fact that you cannot justify your religion from a rational epistimology.

Given your worldview, it makes sense that you would say that.  It seems you are a hardcore realist/literalist.

ABx
User is offlineOffline
It's becoming pretty

It's becoming pretty apparent that you really don't have any reasoning behind your religious inclination at all. Thus far nearly every response you've given can be reduced to "Because it feels good", "Because the bible says so", and "Because it makes sense to me". When questioned you simply reiterate the same, and if pressed further you make accusations of "over analyzing".

It should really be noted that analysis really only becomes "over analysis" when you don't have any facts to make the thinking productive, to actually progress the line of thought/inquiry rather than just chasing your tail (so to speak).

Your apparent fear of reason and logic does go quite a ways towards explaining the aforementioned assertions. It's not too difficult to see why when considering your apparent inability to grasp abstract concepts, as evidenced by the fact that you have failed to comprehend any kind of example, analogy, metaphor, sarcasm, etc. that has been presented to you (instead getting lost in the details, even after it's spelled out). That's fine, you just shouldn't go accusing everyone else of over-analyzing just because they say something that's over your head. If you want to actually come up with any kind of evidence, nevertheless proof, of god it really will require quite a bit of analysis. If you're not prepared to do so, then you may as well leave the site now as you're really only sending "truth seekers" (as you call them) the message that you have to stop thinking entirely to be a theist.

Lastly, I would also note that I suspect that the sense of "negativity" mentioned earlier is mostly due to critical thinking. This is something that religion pretty much prohibits. It can seem negative when you're not used to it, but there's really nothing negative about it. A thiest approaches a subject critically and the theist takes it as an attack - something you can see in nearly every thread. I would say there's also a large part of it that's due to having it hammered into you that anyone that doesn't think like you has to do with the devil, evil, bad, etc. (depending on your denomination, but which all pretty much amounts to the same thing). They tell you that athiests are satanists, controlled by satan, negative, etc., and so of course you come here and you see that. Just look at the OP in this thread, the theist came here with pre-conceived notions of how we think, and refuses to take it from those that actually are atheists that they are not correct!

You're probably also looking at the black background of this website and thinking "boy, this site is DARK, but I don't know why".

ABx
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
deludedgod wrote:
Such condescending arrogance! Honestly, for the hundred thousandth time, what evidence is there that the bible is valid which does not resort to you reasoning an a circle?

1. I have pointed out it's timelessness. 2. The writings of the NT were completed in less than 150 years, which does not leave time for the type of complex mythical development you are suggesting. 3. Where is Jesus's tomb? 4. Why did the disciples attribute the first seeing of the resurrected Jesus to women when woman were viewed a subclass. Why didn't the disciples say THEY were the first to see him? Why didn't they take that opportunity to puff themselves up? 5. Why were the disciples so selfless? 6. Why did Paul immediately go from killing Christians to becoming it's most outspoken supporter? 7. How did the disciples manage to convert thousands in one day? (Has your atheist message ever done that?)

That's entirely circular because in order to accept the conclusons you have to accept the premise of the bible being true. As far as we're concerned it has no more validity than any other 'holy book', or even any other fiction book.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Who might

sugarfree wrote:

I believe that would be the world's non-christian population?

Quote:
Umm, I don't think so. We support a couple missionaries over there and from what I hear they are quite fervent believers who risk going to jail for their faith.

Heard it from who, the missionaries? A COUPLE missionaries at that?

Quote:
Well, yeah, Saudi is on the top of the offenders list for Christian persecution. There are Christians there. They believe at the risk of death. Yet they still believe. Why do you think that is?

The Heaven's Gate cult members believed what they believed to the point of killing themselves. Your point was????

Quote:

1) Your concept of time is out of whack. 2000 years isnt timeless, it's a blip on the earth's chronological spectrum. Certain Egyptian religious beliefs, for example, lasted much longer than 2000 years 2) What? 3) It, like Jesus, didn't exist. 4), 5), 6), 7) You're falsely assuming the bible stories are factual, for the 8 millionth time.

Quote:
And, no we do not all know about Dionysius, care to share? Don't bother with Mithras, already looked into that one.

From Wikipedia:

It is possible that Dionysian mythology would later find its way into Christianity. There are many parallels between Dionysus and Jesus; both were said to have been born from a virgin mother, a mortal woman, but fathered by the king of heaven, to have returned from the dead, to have transformed water into wine, and to have been liberator of mankind. The modern scholar Barry Powell also argues that Christian notions of eating and drinking "the flesh" and "blood" of Jesus were influenced by the cult of Dionysus. Certainly the Dionysus myth contains a great deal of cannibalism, in its links to Ino (however, one must note that Dionysian cannibalism has no correlation with self-sacrifice as a means of propitiation). Dionysus was also distinct among Greek gods, as a deity commonly felt within individual followers. In a less benign example of influence on Christianity, Dionysus' followers, as well as another god, Pan, are said to have had the most influence on the modern view of Satan as animal-like and horned.[15] It is also possible these similarities between Christianity and Dionysiac religion are all only representations of the same common religious archetypes. Furthermore, it is worth noting that the story of Jesus turning water into wine is only found in the Gospel of John, which differs on many points from the other Synoptic Gospels. That very passage, it has been suggested, was incorporated into the Gospel from an earlier source focusing on Jesus' miracles.[16]

According to Martin A. Larson in The Story of Christian Origins (1977), Osiris was the first savior, and all soteriology in the region borrowed this religion, directly and indirectly, including Mithraism and Christianity, from an Osirian-Dionysian influence. As with their common dying and resurrected saviors, they all share common sacraments, ostensibly grounded in their reliance on seasonal cereal agriculture, having adopted the rituals with the food itself; Larson notes that Herodotus uses the names Osiris and Dionysus interchangeably and Plutarch identifies them as the same, while the name was anciently thought to originate from the place Nysa, in Egypt (now Ethiopia).

The subject of Dionysus is complex and baffling. The problem is further complicated by the fact that he appears in at least four characters: first, as the respectable patron of the theatre and the arts; second, as the effeminate, yet fierce and phallic mystery-god of the bloodthirsty Maenads; third, as the mystic deity in the temples of Demeter; and fourth, as the divine savior who died for mankind and whose body and blood were symbolically eaten and drunk in the eucharist of the Orphic-Pythagorean celibates. Beyond this, almost all barbarian nations had their own versions of Dionysus under many names. And yet there is a simpler explanation: Dionysus, Bromius, Sabazius, Attis, Adonis, Zalmoxis, Corybas, Serapis, and Orpheus himself are replicas of their grand prototype Osiris; and the variations which appear among them resulted from the transplantation of the god from one country to another, and reflect simply the specific needs of his multifarious worshipers (37-38).

Quote:
Perhaps he does not want to make it that easy for us. He has given us just enough information to separate those who truly wish to seek him from those who would rather rely on themselves.

I've brought this up in almost every thread in which you've mentioned something like this, and you haven't addressed my point once. Thatis, if god is omniscient then he already knows who will seek him and who wont. Thus, it would be completely pointless to make it difficult.

Quote:
Given your worldview, it makes sense that you would say that. It seems you are a hardcore realist/literalist.

Realism can't have levels to it. If you believe in anything unreal, then you can't be a realist at all.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who might those 4 billion

The ones who arent Christian

Umm, I don't think so. We support a couple missionaries over there and from what I hear they are quite fervent believers who risk going to jail for their faith

Which region you talking? Up in Xi'an or far west in Xinjiang I wouldn't be suprised if the people were devout. But not in Chongqing, Beijing or the Eastern corridor.

You cannot possibly argue out of the religion-geography relationship by citing a tiny minority! Born in Arabia=Muslim.

And don't you agree that these works have survived due to their timelessness? In other words, there is good to be learned from the Bible, contrary to what some of you might say, it is a worthy book to study if you want to learn about human nature.

But...what makes it any more valid than any of these other books?

1. I have pointed out it's timelessness

It's not the only one!

If God created the universe, I'm sure he knows how to raise a man from the dead.

The universe? It is almost consensus among theoretical physicists that there are a vast number of universes. Probably one being formed as I am typing. These universes are not generated by a God blowing little universe bubbles. They are generated by energy ultra-compression by an asymptotic gravitational singularity. 

. The writings of the NT were completed in less than 150 years, which does not leave time for the type of complex mythical development you are suggesting

LOL. Talk to Rook about that. He'll show you otherwise. I'm a biologist, not an archeological historian. But I do know the Bible is plenty ripped off from other religions. There is no original story in it that wasn't meshed with some more ancient mythology. The book is the world's longest metaphor. 

3. Where is Jesus's tomb?

That;s brilliant logic. Did you read anything I wrote about Occam's Razor? We can't find the guys tomb, so he must have been ressurrected.

4. Why did the disciples attribute the first seeing of the resurrected Jesus to women when woman were viewed a subclass. Why didn't the disciples say THEY were the first to see him? Why didn't they take that opportunity to puff themselves up? 5. Why were the disciples so selfless?

Um, because they had intense faith in Jesus. Is that rhetorical question. You're probably going to cite Paul on the road to Damascus, but no amount of belief makes something a fact. Here is what you are telling me: 2,000 years ago, four gospel writers had intense faith in a man who claimed to be the son of God therefore it is fact. In the first century, there were numerous small cults of people following so-called messiahs. The fact that Christianity succeeded over all of them does not reflect on it's truth.

7. How did the disciples manage to convert thousands in one day? (Has your atheist message ever done that?)

No. But we have reached 1.1 billion over the last few decades and continue to do so. I'd say that's more impressive.

Well, obviously if you do not believe in an all-powerful God, you would not believe a virgin birth was possible. And, no we do not all know about Dionysius, care to share? Don't bother with Mithras, already looked into that one.

Dionysius was said by Greek mythology to be the son of a mortal woman and fathered by the King of heaven. Records of this mythology indicate that he rose from the dead and turned water into wine. He was held as the savior of mankind by his disciples. It is even possible that the notion of eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Christ is ripped off from the Cannibalism of the Dionysius cult. The religious archetype of Satan in Christian theology comes from the Dionysius archetype, the God pan, who was described as having hindquarters and horns of a goat

You cannot tell me that Christianity is not ripped off from that.

Creating the universe is a cheap trick? I would say you are hard to please then.

See previous comment about the unverse(s)

The idea that God would care if we had faith in him is nonsense.  I am absolutely sure that if he exists (something I am sure is not the case) he would surely hold reason in highest esteem, even if said reason caused his creations to reject his existence.

Well, yes, if you define God by the standards of this world, but he is not of this world.

That is a typical cop-out to avoid having to explain the impossible reconciliations of two similtaneously mutually exclusive ontologies which are ascribed to classical theism.

I believe that would fall into the crazy category

Which one?

Given your worldview, it makes sense that you would say that.  It seems you are a hardcore realist/literalist

Literalist? A literalist of what!  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline

sugarfree wrote:

rexlunae wrote:
So, when someone criticizes my faith saying, I use it as a crutch to make me more comfortable in this world...could, then, that same argument apply to you since you have said you picked only those that made you comfortable.

No. My morality is not based on a delusion.

sugarfree wrote:
And how about this, a 50 year old man rapes a 4 year old girl. Is that not absolutely wrong in ALL situations, therefore making in non-relative? Can you give me a situation where that would ever be a "good" think, relatively speaking?

No, that would be bad in pretty much every case.

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
I know they believe we will all one day be Gods, and that enough. That teaching is not supported by the Bible.

That's not in the BoM. Mormons believe it, but the Book of Mormon doesn't say anything about it. In fact, I don't know that there's any evidence that Joseph Smith ever believed that. And, it isn't fair to judge other religions on the basis of the Bible. That doesn't count as examining the other possibilities.

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
I have considered and rejected several theistic systems, as well as several non-theistic ones. Can you say the same?
I have done what I feel to be an adequate amount of searching, after which, I made my decision.

What religions have you studied and rejected, and why?

sugarfree wrote:
rexlunae wrote:
Thank you but I am not completely ignorant of Mormonism. They make some funny movies too.

Movies?

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: JESUS. Response

Quote:
JESUS.

Response from the argument of plurality:

Atheist: What made you choose that religion and not a different one?

Muslim: MUHAMMAD.

Quote:
I did not mean to imply this. Other books contain some truth. The Bible contains the complete truth.

OK, we'll just have to see that for ourselves. The complete truth of the Bible seems to contain:

- the whole Universe being created in 6 days

- plants being created before the sun, having no UV rays to drive photosynthesis and vitamin generation processes

- bats being birds, hares chewing cud

- caucasian, black, red, asian human races coming from the same two ancestors (I guess Adam had a blue eye and a green eye, and Eve a black one and a brown one, or something...)

- the Earth is flat and square, as you can see all its corners from the top of a mountain

- there were giants and unicorns back then

- the woman is made of a man's rib...

- some people lived up to a millenia (Adam almost, Mathusal, ...)

- slaves should be beaten... and it's OK to drive a slave into a coma, if he wakes up a few days after that, you haven't done anything wrong (I'm not going to cite all rules in the OT, just this one, since I've heard many disputing that "we are no longer under law", but this one definitely is still on, even Jesus said something like that)

- all those who do not believe in Jesus are against him and therefore will go to heck (that, of course, will include the poor tribesmen in Africa, or the guys from Easter Island, or some guys in Nepal or Tibet who have never had the possibility to hear about Jesus; I can't imagine anyone there saying something like "I've got a feeling that I have to believe in something called Jesus." "What's that?" "I don't know, but I feel that I must believe in him.&quotEye-wink

And of course a lot more.

What can I say... a whole lotta' truth in there, brother...

Quote:
It sounds as tho some of you here regret ever being a Christian. However, I do not feel that way.

Of course you don't. You wouldn't be a Christian if you had.

Quote:
There is no way to prove this. However, there is no Jesus in Islam, as least, not the Jesus I know.

That was just the whole point, you know. But I can imagine you right in the middle of Saudi Arabia saying "Mom and dad, I know you worship Muhammad, but I think it would be better if we'd worship Jesus. Unfortunately, I can imagine you getting shot afterwards as well.

Quote:
Which makes it is exclusionary.

It is exclusionary by definition...I didn't say it isn't. I only said it isn't exclusionary to philosophies, just to gods.

Quote:
No other religion has a central figure like Jesus.

Oh is that so? Try this for size:

- Muhammad

- Dyonissos

- Mithras

- Ghilgamesh (not actually a religion, but you'll get my point)

- Jonestown and many many other such cults

Do you actually think your Jesus is unique? Rook Hawkins would easily show the contrary much better than me.

Quote:
Unless you are wrong about God, which is the risk you have chosen to take.

You have just about as many chances to be wrong about the real god as I have. The difference is that I can be convinced through reason and evidence, but I'm not so sure about you. 

Quote:

Hey, I didn't touch him, ok? (joking)

Quote:
1. I have pointed out it's timelessness.

Same goes for many other holy books. If you invoke the argument of standing the test of time, christianity will lose simply and squarely.

Quote:
2. The writings of the NT were completed in less than 150 years, which does not leave time for the type of complex mythical development you are suggesting.

Actually, the complex mythical developments are bound only to the person of Jesus. Jesus' biography only takes up 4 of the NT books, the rest are about completely different things. Considering that the 4 official gospels are almost indisputably copied and adapted one after another, well, there you have it.

Quote:
3. Where is Jesus's tomb?

Good question... I'm sure that it'd be a place of worship, just as Mecca for Muslims, IF it had existed...

Quote:
4. Why did the disciples attribute the first seeing of the resurrected Jesus to women when woman were viewed a subclass. Why didn't the disciples say THEY were the first to see him? Why didn't they take that opportunity to puff themselves up?

The four official gospels and other apostolic writings disagree on who was the first to see Jesus. Check http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/first_ap.html

Quote:
5. Why were the disciples so selfless?

Were they? How did you come to that conclusion?

Quote:
6. Why did Paul immediately go from killing Christians to becoming it's most outspoken supporter?

Well, you saw a burning bush talking to you. And you wouldn't know that it's a condition related to schizophrenia. Wouldn't you do the same?

Quote:
7. How did the disciples manage to convert thousands in one day? (Has your atheist message ever done that?)

They didn't. Surely that kind of thing wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

Christianity was kind of an obscure cult until late.

Quote:

I only wish to ask why some (apostles, Mary Magdalene) had access to much better evidence of Jesus (because nothing beats direct evidence) than I have. And yet I'm held up to the same standards as them, receiving the same penalty for disbelieving.

The same I ask for all the people who have never had the possibility to even hear that there might be a "Jesus" (see a few paragraphs above).

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ABx wrote: That's entirely

ABx wrote:

That's entirely circular because in order to accept the conclusons you have to accept the premise of the bible being true. As far as we're concerned it has no more validity than any other 'holy book', or even any other fiction book.

In order to accept all your conclusions, I have to accept that there is not God.  Explain to me how that is different, please.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: I

Roisin Dubh wrote:

I believe that would be the world's non-christian population?

Okay, thank for clarifying. Just because we don't all believe the same thing does not mean NOTHING is ultimate. You are basing what is true on what you observe to be true in the world. I am basing it on my studies, during which I have been searching for ULTIMATE truth, which I believe exists, and I believe knowledge of it is attainble. Just because everyone has not attained it does not mean it does not exist.

Roisin Dubh wrote:
Heard it from who, the missionaries? A COUPLE missionaries at that?
Voice of the Martyrs, Moody radio.

Roisin Dubh wrote:

The Heaven's Gate cult members believed what they believed to the point of killing themselves. Your point was????

They all killed themselves and heavens gate is now no more. Same with the Jim Jones cult. People enter into Christianity in some countries, knowing this could be their fate, yet the enter anyway because of deep conviction which overrides their "survival instinct."

Quote:

Roisin Dubh wrote:
1) Your concept of time is out of whack. 2000 years isnt timeless, it's a blip on the earth's chronological spectrum. Certain Egyptian religious beliefs, for example, lasted much longer than 2000 years 2) What? 3) It, like Jesus, didn't exist. 4), 5), 6), 7) You're falsely assuming the bible stories are factual, for the 8 millionth time.
Have you ever had a literature class? As an English major, I had several, and we talked about timeless truths all the time. Do you think all literary professors are wrong? What was number 2, I can't see it right now, the myth thing? If so, explain to me in detail how the Jesus "myth" developed...how, why, where...I'm interested to know your take on it. 3-7, I can just as easily say you are falsly assuming the Bible is false, which puts us at a stalemate.

Roisin Dubh wrote:

From Wikipedia:

It is possible that Dionysian mythology would later find its way into Christianity. There are many parallels between Dionysus and Jesus; both were said to have been born from a virgin mother, a mortal woman, but fathered by the king of heaven, to have returned from the dead, to have transformed water into wine, and to have been liberator of mankind. The modern scholar Barry Powell also argues that Christian notions of eating and drinking "the flesh" and "blood" of Jesus were influenced by the cult of Dionysus. Certainly the Dionysus myth contains a great deal of cannibalism, in its links to Ino (however, one must note that Dionysian cannibalism has no correlation with self-sacrifice as a means of propitiation). Dionysus was also distinct among Greek gods, as a deity commonly felt within individual followers. In a less benign example of influence on Christianity, Dionysus' followers, as well as another god, Pan, are said to have had the most influence on the modern view of Satan as animal-like and horned.[15] It is also possible these similarities between Christianity and Dionysiac religion are all only representations of the same common religious archetypes. Furthermore, it is worth noting that the story of Jesus turning water into wine is only found in the Gospel of John, which differs on many points from the other Synoptic Gospels. That very passage, it has been suggested, was incorporated into the Gospel from an earlier source focusing on Jesus' miracles.[16]

According to Martin A. Larson in The Story of Christian Origins (1977), Osiris was the first savior, and all soteriology in the region borrowed this religion, directly and indirectly, including Mithraism and Christianity, from an Osirian-Dionysian influence. As with their common dying and resurrected saviors, they all share common sacraments, ostensibly grounded in their reliance on seasonal cereal agriculture, having adopted the rituals with the food itself; Larson notes that Herodotus uses the names Osiris and Dionysus interchangeably and Plutarch identifies them as the same, while the name was anciently thought to originate from the place Nysa, in Egypt (now Ethiopia).

The subject of Dionysus is complex and baffling. The problem is further complicated by the fact that he appears in at least four characters: first, as the respectable patron of the theatre and the arts; second, as the effeminate, yet fierce and phallic mystery-god of the bloodthirsty Maenads; third, as the mystic deity in the temples of Demeter; and fourth, as the divine savior who died for mankind and whose body and blood were symbolically eaten and drunk in the eucharist of the Orphic-Pythagorean celibates. Beyond this, almost all barbarian nations had their own versions of Dionysus under many names. And yet there is a simpler explanation: Dionysus, Bromius, Sabazius, Attis, Adonis, Zalmoxis, Corybas, Serapis, and Orpheus himself are replicas of their grand prototype Osiris; and the variations which appear among them resulted from the transplantation of the god from one country to another, and reflect simply the specific needs of his multifarious worshipers (37-38).

All right, to be fair I will seek other sources as well, wikipedia has gotten some bad press lately. For all I know, you wrote this wikipedia entry.

Roisin Dubh wrote:

I've brought this up in almost every thread in which you've mentioned something like this, and you haven't addressed my point once. Thatis, if god is omniscient then he already knows who will seek him and who wont. Thus, it would be completely pointless to make it difficult.

You cannot get past this: if there is a God you feel you would be obliged to understand every nuance of his character. Since God is greater and smarter than us, we cannot always know why he does things, however, we make a choice to trust him or not regardless. A child doesn't always know why his parent is punishing him, doesn't understand how hard the parent works to take care of him, does not know how much his parent loves him, he is not yet mature enough to understand. When it comes to God, we are the children, he is the parent, so the same maturity issues get in the way of us fully understanding him. But, like the earthly child who trust his parents to take care of him, so to, do we trust our heavenly father to take care of us

Roisin Dubh wrote:

Realism can't have levels to it. If you believe in anything unreal, then you can't be a realist at all.

I don't get your point.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Okay,

sugarfree wrote:
Okay, thank for clarifying. Just because we don't all believe the same thing does not mean NOTHING is ultimate. You are basing what is true on what you observe to be true in the world. I am basing it on my studies, during which I have been searching for ULTIMATE truth, which I believe exists, and I believe knowledge of it is attainble. Just because everyone has not attained it does not mean it does not exist.

It's not just that some people don't get it, 2/3rds of everyone on earth doesn't get it. No, you're right, those muslims are all delusional. jesus is obviously the real ultimate truth.

Quote:
Voice of the Martyrs, Moody radio.

And, of course, those accounts are from completely unbiased sources.

Quote:
They all killed themselves and heavens gate is now no more. Same with the Jim Jones cult. People enter into Christianity in some countries, knowing this could be their fate, yet the enter anyway because of deep conviction which overrides their "survival instinct."

Exactly, which should tell you that those christians in Saudi Arabia are as deluded as the people at Jonestown.

Quote:
Have you ever had a literature class? As an English major, I had several, and we talked about timeless truths all the time. Do you think all literary professors are wrong?

You're using literature professors to support the bible as truth? You can't be serious. Well, my brother's a medical equipment salesman, have you ever taken a medical equipment sales class? I talk about atheism with my brother, and the rejection of the bible as the word of god comes up all the time.

Quote:
I can just as easily say you are falsly assuming the Bible is false, which puts us at a stalemate.

For the purposes of debate, yes. But, as always, the burden of proof lies with you.

Quote:
You cannot get past this: if there is a God you feel you would be obliged to understand every nuance of his character. Since God is greater and smarter than us, we cannot always know why he does things, however, we make a choice to trust him or not regardless. A child doesn't always know why his parent is punishing him, doesn't understand how hard the parent works to take care of him, does not know how much his parent loves him, he is not yet mature enough to understand. When it comes to God, we are the children, he is the parent, so the same maturity issues get in the way of us fully understanding him. But, like the earthly child who trust his parents to take care of him, so to, do we trust our heavenly father to take care of us

The parent metaphor is so horrible, and has been obliterated so many times here that I'm not going to bother with it.

Quote:
I don't get your point.

My point was, one cannot be a "hardcore realist." One can be a realist, or not, that's it.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Before I respond to any more

Before I respond to any more posts, I wanted to tell you a little more about me. I gather, as you all seem to be intelligent people, that academic qualifications are important to you. I want you to know that even intelligent people can come to the conclusion that Jesus is real. So, read on....

I have a B.S. in English and a minor in Creative Writing. I attended the honors college at my university, and graduated summa cum laude, with Honors, and with Academic Honors in Writing. In order to graduate with honors I was required to take several humanities classes, genetics, and others. My humanites classes included comparative mythology and study of ancient literature. I also took several philosophy classes in college, and every time was singled out by my professor who suggested I adopt a philosphy major or minor but I declined to do so. I got a 720 on the analytical portion of the GRE, which is not perfect, but I believe it is respectable.

I have been a procedural database programmer for 5 years.

I test as a “whole brain” person. I do not favor the right or the left. I use both equally. In other words, I process the world both creatively and logically…the two sides of my brain work like a tag team. The logic/analysis is balanced with creativity and vice versa (which could be why it makes no sense to me when all you do is focus on logic, never giving the right brain a chance to pop its little head in and voice it’s opinion.)

The point is not to “brag” but to show you that I am no dummy. Odds are, academically, I am not that different than you folks. Odds are also, that I am in good company as far as computer programmers go.

I’ve been spending too much time here, immersed in the conflict which can be addicting and therefore unhealthy. When I drop off the radar, I hope other theists come here and pick up the baton, but like me, they will probably only stay for a short while, and then move on.

Anyway, hopefully you will read the things I have said in these forums within the context of what I just told you above about my academic and professional careers. I am not simple minded. I have been blessed with a gifted mind, as many of you have also. And my gifted mind has come to the thoughtful conclusion that it is in fact possible that there is a God, that that God did in fact walk this earth 2000 years ago, and that He continues to be our savior today.

I walked into the baptismal during college. I walked into it with doubts in hand. I did not discard them prior to, I took them into the water with me, and I walked out of the water with them. Accepting Jesus never once required me to wipe my mind clean of reason, logic, or knowledge. I came to that acceptance after much learning, much thinking, much observation, much comparison: all of which led me to this conclusion—Jesus is trustworthy. I can trust him with my life, I can trust him with my doubts, I can trust him to know the answers when I do not.

Finally, I will tell you this…you cannot find and understand God thru logic alone. You must also employ your understanding of the creative process. God is creative…he created this universe. Therefore, to understand him you must take creativity and the creative process into consideration. Your understanding of the creative process in humans can help you understand God, and his word…the Bible. In other words, use your whole brain when reading the Bible, not just the left, not just the right: Both.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_Omortis

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Muslim: MUHAMMAD
However, upon careful comparison, you would find that Muhammad and Jesus led very different lives that came to very different conclusion…as well, their teachings were not the same. I believe there is a God, and given the choice between Jesus and Muhammad, Jesus makes more sense to me.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
OK, we’ll just have to see that for ourselves. The complete truth of the Bible seems to contain: the whole Universe being created in 6 days- plants being created before the sun, having no UV rays to drive photosynthesis and vitamin generation processes - bats being birds, hares chewing cud - caucasian, black, red, asian human races coming from the same two ancestors.
I’m guessing you understand what I mean when I say, how about reading Genesis again, figuratively.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
slaves should be beaten... and it’s OK to drive a slave into a coma, if he wakes up a few days after that, you haven’t done anything wrong
What scripture are you citing here? I am unaware of it. God does not approve of everything that happened in the Bible, somethings are recorded so that we can learn from other’s mistakes.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
I can’t imagine anyone there saying something like I’ve got a feeling that I have to believe in something called Jesus.
I believe your lack of imagination has led you to severely limit your worldview, because in your lack of imagination, you limit God. (And not, this does not mean God is imagined, it means, we can discover truths via the process of imagination…since you seem to be unwilling to do that, I believe you are missing out on some profound truths.)

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
That was just the whole point, you know. But I can imagine you right in the middle of Saudi Arabia saying Mom and dad, I know you worship Muhammad, but I think it would be better if we’d worship Jesus. Unfortunately, I can imagine you getting shot afterwards as well.
Okay, so this shows me you can use your imagination. BTW: Who is wrong in Saudi, the Christians for believing or the Saudi’s for killing them because of it?

Muhammad- Already addressed, not like Jesus.
Dyonissos- Will have to look into
Mithras- From what I understand we have text fragments explaining Mithras, however, not a comprehensive work to compare to the Bible. So, there was more speculation (and continues to be) required in order to piece together Mithras…So, it makes more since for me to trust the detailed text that has been around for centuries, correct? That would be the logical thing to do.
Ghilgamesh (not actually a religion, but you’ll get my point)- Don’t know this guy.
Jonestown and many many other such cults- Jonestown? Jesus didn’t kill his followers, so no valid comparison there.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Do you actually think your Jesus is unique?
I have stated as much. His life has also been uniquely documented, a document which has survived for centuries.
Rigor_Omortis wrote:
The difference is that I can be convinced through reason and evidence, but I’m not so sure about you.
The difference is I use my creative mind to come to conclusions also. You give me the impression that you are distrustful of your right brain…You think all it does is spout out lies to you? I think the creative mind also reveals truths to us, just as the analytical mind does… However, the process of revealing those truths is entirely different.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Actually, the complex mythical developments are bound only to the person of Jesus.
Which, by coming to this conclusion, you can conveniently dismiss him because he said things you don’t like.
Rigor_Omortis wrote:
Jesus biography only takes up 4 of the NT books, the rest are about completely different things. Considering that the 4 official gospels are almost indisputably copied and adapted one after another, well, there you have it.
So you think, kind of by luck, things like the sermon on the mount…which is very valuable to humanity, morally speaking, just sort of came about because people said, oh let me switch this word or that word to make it more powerful? I’m not seeing that personally. The gospels do not read like the myths I have read. Also, for there to be four gospels, because of their similarities, they would have had to have been spread initially as one story, then branch off…well, when are you proposing they branched off, year 100, year 75?

Well, wait a minute, you are saying the parts about Paul were not mythically adapted, so…Paul had knowledge of the gospels apparently. Which versions do you think he was reading from? How “adapted” were they, at that point. And…if he was reading from a different version…wouldn’t we notice more inconsistancies between his messages and the messages in the gospels?

Also, do you not believe people 2000 years ago had the ability to record history, or no? Were they just too dumb to do it successfully, without fudging all the details? Is everything we know, historically speaking, about humanity wrong, because…given your argument, ancient peoples just weren’t capable of passing on historical information without screwing up? Why are we bothering to study ANY ancient text, then, anyway? If the a given text wasn’t penned the exact time the author was thinking it…if it is not the author’s ORIGINAL text, can we not trust the text at all to provide any hint of historical accuracy?

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
They didn’t. Surely that kind of thing wouldn’t have gone unnoticed. Christianity was kind of an obscure cult until late.
What ancient text are you trusting to give you this information? How do you know that text was not modified? If you say the Bible was modified, then any historical text could have been modified, so we have to take them all with a grain of salt and just can’t come to any solid conclusions about our own history.

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
I only wish to ask why some (apostles, Mary Magdalene) had access to much better evidence of Jesus (because nothing beats direct evidence) than I have. And yet I’m held up to the same standards as them, receiving the same penalty for disbelieving.
Why do you focus on the punishment and not the promise?

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I test as a “whole

Quote:
I test as a “whole brain” person. I do not favor the right or the left. I use both equally. In other words, I process the world both creatively and logically…the two sides of my brain work like a tag team. The logic/analysis is balanced with creativity and vice versa (which could be why it makes no sense to me when all you do is focus on logic, never giving the right brain a chance to pop its little head in and voice it’s opinion.)

Unfortunately, we cannot use "both sides" in the same way to view reality. Reality isn't interpretable, unfortuinately, nor is it a matter of desire. It is pure fact. Do you dispute that we have two legs and two arms? Can you say "It's my interpretation of reality that we actually have three arms and one leg" ? There has to be a clear distinction between where the left hemisphere goes into action and where the right one takes over. And discussing about something that is supposed to be the basis of reality simply isn't the job of the right hemisphere.

On the same lines you can't say that men and women are perfectly identical from all perspectives, regardless of how pollitically correct you wish to be.

Quote:
Anyway, hopefully you will read the things I have said in these forums within the context of what I just told you above about my academic and professional careers. I am not simple minded. I have been blessed with a gifted mind, as many of you have also. And my gifted mind has come to the thoughtful conclusion that it is in fact possible that there is a God, that that God did in fact walk this earth 2000 years ago, and that He continues to be our savior today.

We can't prove that there is "no god" as well. Frankly the only type of belief I am unable to combat is deism. What we're trying to do is take out those beliefs that are undoubtedly false.

Quote:
I walked into the baptismal during college. I walked into it with doubts in hand. I did not discard them prior to, I took them into the water with me, and I walked out of the water with them. Accepting Jesus never once required me to wipe my mind clean of reason, logic, or knowledge. I came to that acceptance after much learning, much thinking, much observation, much comparison: all of which led me to this conclusion—Jesus is trustworthy. I can trust him with my life, I can trust him with my doubts, I can trust him to know the answers when I do not.

I'd really want an answer to my previous post, related to the reliability of Jesus and his holy book. I've reached the conclusion that the only way to keep both Jesus and logic is to reduce Jesus to a deist symbol (I never said it is impossible)... but that means that most biblical teachings are simply consultative, and that "salvation" is also a redundant concept.

Quote:
Finally, I will tell you this…you cannot find and understand God thru logic alone. You must also employ your understanding of the creative process. God is creative…he created this universe. Therefore, to understand him you must take creativity and the creative process into consideration. Your understanding of the creative process in humans can help you understand God, and his word…the Bible. In other words, use your whole brain when reading the Bible, not just the left, not just the right: Both.

My creative process (see the thread named "Killing in the name of...&quotEye-wink has reached the conclusion that religion as we have it today was simply a social tool. Also, checking my apocalyptic blog (http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com), which I admit is rather short, but promise to lengthen it, you will also notice that I did use creativity, as much as I have, to re-create different religion-related stories from a different perspective. A perspective which should be supposed to draw people AWAY from religion rather than towards it.

So your argument from creativity is duoble-edged.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I’m

sugarfree wrote:
I’m guessing you understand what I mean when I say, how about reading Genesis again, figuratively.

Why stop at Genesis, why not the whole thing?

Rigor_Omortis wrote:
slaves should be beaten... and it’s OK to drive a slave into a coma, if he wakes up a few days after that, you haven’t done anything wrong
sugarfree wrote:
What scripture are you citing here? I am unaware of it. God does not approve of everything that happened in the Bible, somethings are recorded so that we can learn from other’s mistakes.

Exodus 21:20-21

sugarfree wrote:
I believe your lack of imagination has led you to severely limit your worldview, because in your lack of imagination, you limit God. (And not, this does not mean God is imagined, it means, we can discover truths via the process of imagination…since you seem to be unwilling to do that, I believe you are missing out on some profound truths.)

That is the lamest answer I have ever heard. Sugarfree, I too have been tested and have the capacity to use both the right and left sides of my brain. This does not make me unique...it simply supports the findings that women are usually able to do this. I lack neither imagination nor creativity and I am perfectly capable of understanding both how and why you imagine your god to be real. Unfortunately, that still does not prove he/she IS real. I can imagine Santa Claus too; doesn't make him real. Truth is not proven by imagination.