A response to the Freewill vs. Predetermined Destiny argument

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
A response to the Freewill vs. Predetermined Destiny argument

I'm sure you're familiar with the argument.... free will and an omniscient God cannot coexist.

I recieved this response:

"Now onto freewill - the point we are missing is this...  We, as people are bound/limited by time.  We do not live forever on this earth and we are often in the habit of hurrying from place to place, always watching the clocks as time ticks away.  But, truly, time is a measure of something that never ends.  God has always been and always will be.  He is not limited by time... He started what we know as time on the earth when He formed and created the world.  He started things perfectly and we turned away from Him.
Now here's the freewill part, having always been and always being - GOD knows from the beginning to the end of our lives on earth.  He can see it all. 

We are like onlookers of a parade, only able to see each solitary float as it passes by.  God is like the one above in a helicopter who can see the start to the finish of the parade and all in between.  No person can do what GOD does.  In other words, if you, Justin, are hungry and want a piece of fruit, there is no way on my own as a human that I can know for sure what kind of fruit you will reach for, I can take a guess and who knows (God knows) I might guess correctly, but I as a human cannot know the future.  God has seen it and looks back on the present because He is outside of time.  He knows what will happen and if we ask Him, He will guide us to make the right the decisions, but He never forces us because He is so Loving He lets us choose to follow Him and to be in an authentic relationship with Him."I don't mean to have you guys argue for me or anything, I've just never had to respond to this before.

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
If you ask god he will

If you ask god he will guide you to make the right decisions? So we should expect that Christians would be better off than Non-Christians..that's not the case.

God foreknew that most of the people who have ever lived would not choose him, but ran his plan anyways? Was he not all-powerful enough to change this plan that consists of billions and billions of good people being eternally tortured? Was he not all-loving enough to just not run the plan if this is what he foreknew it to be?

If I were in the helicopter and saw the end of the parade and most of the people were getting shot in the head as they crossed the end point..I would stop the parade or do something about it. If I saw innocent people getting snipered at any point in the parade I would stop the parade or do something about that as well.

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks alot.

Thanks alot.