Basically why I became an atheist in the first place as explained to a Christian over MySpace...

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Basically why I became an atheist in the first place as explained to a Christian over MySpace...

A Christrian girl claims to not be religious, for she spreads the word of god only. Lmao. 

The same Christian I've been going on about from MySpace, Jesus freak, posted a comment on my page with a video. The video was saying what would happen if god came back. My response?

Quote:

The video is bullshit.
They should kill themselves! LULZ.
I dare you on all that you believe to approve of this comment.
I dare you. XD
This is my opinion; that of which is fact.
Your messiah does not exist. All of this was and is but a lie. Videos like the one you've been posting everywhere are just to scare people into believing something untrue.
Do you really think that you believe this stuff?
You can't even channel into yourself.
Upon becoming an atheist I, as do many others, figure out that it's all fake.
Do you know how many nights I've fucking stayed up waiting, hoping, praying for that fictional bastard to prove himself to me, to make me believe?
Do you know how many tears I've shed sincerely, from the bottom of my very heart, for your god to save me?
Do you know how much of that was in vain?
All of it. Nothing ever happened and I found myself becoming more alive, more aware of who and what I am; where I came from.
I've come to the rational conclusion that I came only from my mother and my father, no god or deitiy.
I was not made from a man's rib and my brother was not made from clay.
So you see, it is not I who is wrong.
It's you.
You and your whole system of a religion.
And then you say that you are not religious, just a follower of god?
How dare you?
Religion is defined as a belief and fellowship or a god or gods. That does include the one you worship.
Why don't you do yourself a huge favor and stop living a big, fat, stupid lie?
Trust me, everything will change.
Everything.
Your mind will grow stronger, your thinking will improve.
I was once just like you.
I am never going back to that.
Here I am, aware of my fate.
I deny the holy spirit, and I am not afraid.
Dabura.

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh and her reply was a

Oh and her reply was a stupid bible verse, Judges 3:7 I believe. -_- Just what I'd expect.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
what passion.   I hope

what passion.

I hope you're still in discussion with her. Are you spreading the word of reason?

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tried... She said "I will

I tried... She said "I will not be tempted by you!" and I'm like "Wtf?" Some of them are so stubborn it's unbelievable.

myspace.com/miyao

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
If someone told you God

If someone told you God will always answer your prayers how you want him to, will give you proof whenever you ask, and will spare you from a hard life, they told you wrong.  I won't patronize you with an apology on someone else's behalf, but Christian theology very firmly says these things are not Christian beliefs.

Of course, that has no meaning if you weren't Christian, so I do apologize if I'm wrong.

"The map appears more real to us than the land." - Lawrence

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: If someone

JHenson wrote:

If someone told you God will always answer your prayers how you want him to, will give you proof whenever you ask, and will spare you from a hard life, they told you wrong. I won't patronize you with an apology on someone else's behalf, but Christian theology very firmly says these things are not Christian beliefs.

Of course, that has no meaning if you weren't Christian, so I do apologize if I'm wrong.

Those are told to many people that if you pray God will listen (tho he may not answer or grant your prayer) and that your life will be full if you follow God.  

They also say if you don't you go to hell.  Rather large hypocrisy, of which im glad that I was not indoctrinated into.  

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Someone told you if you

Someone told you if you don't pray you will go to hell?  With the implication, it would seem, that if you do pray you will go to heaven.  That's a very trite, childish view on theology.  As I said, whoever told you these things was very wrong.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: Someone

JHenson wrote:

Someone told you if you don't pray you will go to hell? With the implication, it would seem, that if you do pray you will go to heaven. That's a very trite, childish view on theology. As I said, whoever told you these things was very wrong.

I was referring to the idea that if you don't follow God that you would go to hell, not necessarily praying.  Sorry I wasn't real clear on that.

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to giggle

I have to giggle when I hear Christians telling me exactly how one gets to heaven or hell. Amongst the 33,000+ versions of Christianity there are people who preach that you have to accept Jesus, you have to be baptized, you have to have grace (which only god can give you), or you have to do good works ...

It goes on and on.

If Christians can't even agree on such a basic Christian principle as who gets to spend eternity with their sky daddy, then how are any of us to take them seriously?

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

Cory T
Theist
Cory T's picture
User is offlineOffline
GreyhoundMama wrote: I have

GreyhoundMama wrote:
I have to giggle when I hear Christians telling me exactly how one gets to heaven or hell. Amongst the 33,000+ versions of Christianity there are people who preach that you have to accept Jesus, you have to be baptized, you have to have grace (which only god can give you), or you have to do good works ... It goes on and on. If Christians can't even agree on such a basic Christian principle as who gets to spend eternity with their sky daddy, then how are any of us to take them seriously?

While I would disagree with the number of denominations that you give, I don't disagree with the fact that most of them seem to teach a different soteriology, at least if you examine only the surface.  The only requirements actually spelled out in the Bible are confessing that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead.  Baptism is an outward sign of the inner change that has taken place--a necessity to identify yourself publically with Christ, but not an absolute requirement.

The rest of what you say are details that expound on the salvation, not the mechanics of salvation itself.  I would argue that MOST denominations teach this.  We are actually saved by God's grace.  That grace produces the saving faith that will enable you to confess that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him, which in turn leads us to do the good works He prepared for us.  It is only by God's grace that we are able to believe in His Son.  That is the starting point from which all soteriology must flow. 

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: Someone

JHenson wrote:

Someone told you if you don't pray you will go to hell? With the implication, it would seem, that if you do pray you will go to heaven. That's a very trite, childish view on theology. As I said, whoever told you these things was very wrong.

Christianity itself is a very trite, childish view period. The whole thing cracks me up. 

myspace.com/miyao

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Christianity itself

Quote:
Christianity itself is a very trite, childish view period. The whole thing cracks me up.

Quote:
Do you know how many nights I've fucking stayed up waiting, hoping, praying for that fictional bastard to prove himself to me, to make me believe?
Do you know how many tears I've shed sincerely, from the bottom of my very heart, for your god to save me?

Your own words.  It doesn't sound like laughter to me.  God doesn't jump on command, and he's already saved you.  Considering the bitterness your first post expresses, it looks more like atheism is the childish, trite belief system.

And in case you thought to counter my comment that he's already saved you by the fact that you said you renounced the Holy Spirit, I'll be as equally frank as my above statements: I don't believe you have.  A bunch of angry words won't fool most people, let alone God.

Dabura13
Dabura13's picture
User is offlineOffline
That would be a problem if

That would be a problem if there was a god.

ChaosPerfected
ChaosPerfected's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure you are familliar

I'm sure you are familliar with people changing over time, JH. Christians themselfs often cite themselfs as changing when moving from unsaved to saved, likewise a change occurs once people realize the truth and no longer cry out to the void in tears because they know that nothing is listening.

I'm sure you are familliar with change as God changes his mind from the Old Testament to the New. I'm sure you are familliar with change as God changed his mind about sacrificing animals. I'm sure you are familliar with change as God changed his mind about granting magic to his believers... now, if you can accept that many changes from a neverchanging God, surely you can accept a very rational change, eh? 

Cory T
Theist
Cory T's picture
User is offlineOffline
ChaosPerfected

ChaosPerfected wrote:

I'm sure you are familliar with change as God changes his mind from the Old Testament to the New. I'm sure you are familliar with change as God changed his mind about sacrificing animals. I'm sure you are familliar with change as God changed his mind about granting magic to his believers... now, if you can accept that many changes from a neverchanging God, surely you can accept a very rational change, eh?

God never changed His mind about any of those things.  The God of the Old Testament is the God of the New Testament.

Animal sacrifice was ended because of Christ's perfect sacrifice.  His once and for all atonement on the cross ended the imperfect animal sacrifices.  That was predicted throughout the prophetic verses, especially in Malachi.

I would hardly call the signs and wonders granted to prophets and apostles "magic."  Those things were granted to show who those people were, to mark them.  God has completed His revelation to mankind as the canon of Scripture is closed, and so no more signs and wonders are necessary.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. --Galileo Galilei

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cory T wrote:   I would

Cory T wrote:

I would hardly call the signs and wonders granted to prophets and apostles "magic."  Those things were granted to show who those people were, to mark them.  God has completed His revelation to mankind as the canon of Scripture is closed, and so no more signs and wonders are necessary.

Wasnt much of a revelation to mankind then, since theirs still a stack of other religions and a whole bunch  of non belivers running  around.

i would of thought