Atheism is not logical

evfimy
Theist
Posts: 38
Joined: 2007-03-24
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is not logical

Atheism is a philosophically absurd theory. The philosophers below have refuted all the best atheists in debate. Read everything you can by

William Lane Criag

J.P. Moreland

Norman Geisler

Greg Bahnsen (listen to his debates with Tabash and Stein)

Cornilius VanTill


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
...

Care to give us examples, or are you just going to go "Nanny nanny poop poo!"?

 

you know it gets me, I try my hardest, I try to think in my "heart" that theism isn't that bad of a thing, and then some person runs in here and yells "U R STUPID!!!" 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is not even a

Atheism is not even a theory. It is merely a denial of someone else's nonsense assertion. The fact that you would call it such reflects your general ignorance.

I am not familiar with your modus operandi, but in discussion, I put forth arguments, I don't spew names. Furthermore, in my MO, I make a statement and then follow it up with a reasoning chain. Making a statement per se is what we call in the business an unsubstantiated assertion that lacks veracity. The other logical fallacy in your case is argumentum ad vericudundiam- an appeal to authority. 

Nonsense will not be tolerated here 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
evfimy wrote: Atheism is a

evfimy wrote:
Atheism is a philosophically absurd theory.

Atheism isn't a theory.  Next.

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
evfimy wrote: Read

evfimy wrote:
Read everything you can by William Lane Criag J.P. Moreland Norman Geisler Greg Bahnsen (listen to his debates with Tabash and Stein) Cornilius VanTill

And you need to read everything you can by RESPECTED scientists and philosophers.

Or more likely... you just nead to READ A VARIETY OF THINGS (NOT DOGMA) instead telling us where we need to get our information.


MisterDax
Posts: 66
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Shame on you

Everyone can list names and tell others to read their works.

If you claim that they can disprove atheism (disprove that some people just have no faith in deities) and then point your finger at them, then I assume that you have read their works and therefore can provide some text here of their main points and arguments.


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
evfimy wrote: Atheism is a

evfimy wrote:
Atheism is a philosophically absurd theory. The philosophers below have refuted all the best atheists in debate. Read everything you can by William Lane Criag J.P. Moreland Norman Geisler Greg Bahnsen (listen to his debates with Tabash and Stein) Cornilius VanTill
I have sad news for you, theism is not even up to the level of theory. The belief in a god is on par to delusion.

I see your extent of reason is thus: I believe there's a god and these people support my belief; therefore they are correct. Pathetic.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1212
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is onlineOnline
If the alternative

If the alternative "theories" are christianity, islam and the like, then atheism is the best "theory" we have.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


gobaskof
Posts: 35
Joined: 2007-02-19
User is offlineOffline
evfimy wrote: Atheism is a

evfimy wrote:
Atheism is a philosophically absurd theory.


There have been some great atheist philosophers.

But anyway it may be an absurd theory in philosophical terms for all I care. Because it is philosophy that contains the bollocks! Any discipline that can't even decide for sure whether we really exist is a bit pointless. Yes it make be very intellectually stimulating (apparently) but it doesn't tell us much about the real world!
So being a person who DOES live in the REAL world... I honestly DON'T CARE if philosophers disagree with me, it seems as pointless as believing in an invisible man in the sky!

You want some normal logic.
I see no evidence for God.
The God hypothesis breaks many fundamental laws of science, and is untestable.
Therefore it is logical NOT to believe there is an omnipotent dictator in the sky.

Quote:
I would almost as soon believe with the old and ignorant cosmogonists, that fossil shells had never lived, but had been created in stone so as to mock the shells now living on the sea-shore. - Charles Darwin


AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
Posts: 157
Joined: 2006-12-26
User is offlineOffline
I can see why you chose to

I can see why you chose to throw names at us. Years of theist oppression has no doubt warped your abilities to develop an original thought. But here, you don't even make an argument. You simply pass the buck to others whom I'm neither heard of nor particularly care about. At least, if you wanted to use pseudo, quasi respected sources, you could have turned to Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine, instead of pulling out the second string team.

Also, kudos on using the standard theist device of drawing attention away from having to rationalize their own insane beliefs by trying to put the humanists/atheists on the defensive. Good luck with that.


Rev0lver
Posts: 171
Joined: 2007-02-24
User is offlineOffline
your "argument from other

your "argument from other people" doesnt prove anything. i can say theism is the same way by telling you to go listen to Sapient, Dawkins, infidel guy, etc take down theists.


Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
Posts: 1484
Joined: 2007-03-18
User is offlineOffline
I was kind of hoping for an

I was kind of hoping for an interesting argument that I hadn't heard before. Wishful thinking I guess. Just a list of names, none of which I've heard of before, probably 'cause they're not respected philosophers but religious nutters, in fact I'm surprised Fred Phelps wasn't in that list!!


James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
Posts: 261
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
First. Stop being a lazy

First. Stop being a lazy fuck and atleast type out why we are absurd, or anything of that sort.

Second. Do not post others work as evidence to atheism being irrational when they themselves have been proven wrong.

 

Lastly. Atheism is not a theory. Atheists simply do not believe in a god, theists believe in a god. Atheists are more drawn to science for a reason. Most cases it's why we do not believe, all theists have for belief is tradition(brainwashing) and faith. We atleast have proof were right. Since, in science if you make a claim it's your job you prove it, we are not making the claim god does not exist, we don't have to, since it's yet to have been proven by the cliamient who invented his god. We do not believe for the simple reason their is no proof, i'm sure if I told you I had a chair for you, you were standing beside me, I point to it. Their was no chair. Would you take it on faith it was their? Since by your logic in god you can not prove it isn't?

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!


JeremiahSmith
Posts: 361
Joined: 2006-11-25
User is offlineOffline
evfimy wrote: Atheism is a

evfimy wrote:
Atheism is a philosophically absurd theory. The philosophers below have refuted all the best atheists in debate. Read everything you can by William Lane Criag J.P. Moreland Norman Geisler Greg Bahnsen (listen to his debates with Tabash and Stein) Cornilius VanTill

Well, I'm convinced! Sign me up for that good old theism. 

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
well, that was hit and run.

well, that was hit and run.


GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
Posts: 76
Joined: 2007-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote:well, that

Ophios wrote:
well, that was hit and run.
That's what I'm thinking. One post, no actual content. "Don't feed the trolls" is my new philosophy for such posters.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
GreyhoundMama

GreyhoundMama wrote:
Ophios wrote:
well, that was hit and run.
That's what I'm thinking. One post, no actual content. "Don't feed the trolls" is my new philosophy for such posters.

You can't feed the trolls if the trolls are not around. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Problem is sometimes you

Problem is sometimes you don't know they're one until later.


Krehlic
Silver Member
Krehlic's picture
Posts: 240
Joined: 2006-12-29
User is offlineOffline
Funny, I'd call

Funny, I'd call Christianity, Judaism and Islam absurd, and their followers deluded. How can you call atheism absurd? Apparently you haven't read the Bible. Now thats some rediculous nonsense. Only childhood indoctrination and ignorance could pull that one off.

No, atheism is the rational, logical belief system. I don't know if I would go so far as to say belief in a god per se is delusional, but as far as the gods of every existing religion today - and every religion that has ever existed - is. Deism has to be the only way to believe in a god that may escape the 'absurd' label. Deism, more often than not, is the first stepping stone toward atheism.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: well, that

Ophios wrote:
well, that was hit and run.

Naw, that was more like a drive-by. Eye-wink 


GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
Posts: 76
Joined: 2007-03-09
User is offlineOffline
I LOVE the troll pic you

I LOVE the troll pic you found! Smiling


James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
Posts: 261
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
Does anyone wonder why these

Does anyone wonder why these random theists come and try to debate us by posting for their first time, and do not even post their own work, or thoughts? It's becoming a bad trend here...

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10550
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
evfimy wrote: Atheism is a

evfimy wrote:
Atheism is a philosophically absurd theory. The philosophers below have refuted all the best atheists in debate. Read everything you can by

William Lane Criag

J.P. Moreland

Norman Geisler

Greg Bahnsen (listen to his debates with Tabash and Stein)

Cornilius VanTill

Oh please. I could own not just one of them, but all of them at the same time. I have refuted god, and these mortals would fall before my power.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.