"Sign of Contradiction"? Are you kidding me?

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Sign of Contradiction"? Are you kidding me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_contradiction

So, unless I'm misunderstanding this or wikipedia is wholly inaccurate... the more people disagree with the church on something being holy, then the more holy it must be?

So, the more people disagree with me on somehting, the more likely it's true?

-Triften

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wikipedia is all but

Wikipedia is all but worthless. Anyone can make an entry and they tend to pick and choose what they allow there.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't forget that they have

Don't forget that they have a deletion fetish.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dont be so hard mattshizzle.

Dont be so hard mattshizzle. They have a very tight wikimunnity of people who are always looking for idiot articles. Sometimes I read what they have on molecular biology and genetics, and i find it to be pretty accurate.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I didn't fully read the

I didn't fully read the article, but I have heard this line of reasoning before.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften

triften wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_contradiction

So, unless I'm misunderstanding this or wikipedia is wholly inaccurate... the more people disagree with the church on something being holy, then the more holy it must be?

So, the more people disagree with me on somehting, the more likely it's true?

That's funny, that's precisely what paranoid schizophrenics say about their delusions... the more you say they're crazy, the more they know that they're right, and that you're really from the CIA.

If the catholic church is willing to toss in the word "logical" before "contradiction" in their phrase, then I'm willing to sign on to the concept.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I think this line of

I think this line of thinking is used to keep the person being attacked from giving up their beliefs. Someone I know uses this line of thought. He'll say, "They were against me because the sensed the spirit of god in me."

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:
Wikipedia is all but worthless. Anyone can make an entry and they tend to pick and choose what they allow there.

After some googling, it looks like that's actually the idea.

Paraphrase: "You see, because so many people didn't like Jesus and had him tortured and crucified, he must have been God."

-Triften