oh you guys are gonna like this one...Japan and Jesus.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2201183,00.html

Japan is proud home of Christ's tomb
From Leo Lewis in Shingo Village
IN A paddy-lined valley in the far north of Japan is a municipal signpost inscribed: ?Tomb of Christ: next left.?

Follow the winding path up into the forest and there, sure enough, is a simple mound with a large wooden cross labelled as the grave of Jesus. Nearby is a tomb commemorating Isukiri, Christ?s brother, adorned with a plastic poinsettia Christmas wreath.

For two millennia the farming village of Shingo claims to have protected a tradition that Jesus spent most of his life in Japan. The village is the home of Sajiro Sawaguchi, a man in his eighties who claims to be a direct descendant of Jesus and whose family has always owned the land in which it is said that Christ is buried.

Mr Sawaguchi emerged as Jesus?s heir only in 1935, when a priest in Ibaraki discovered a document in ancient Japanese purporting to be Christ?s will. This document supposedly identifies Shingo as the location of the tombs of Jesus and Isukiri. The claim is widely believed. About 40,000 Japanese visit the site every year. Two years ago it was presented with a plaque by Jerusalem, and next Sunday it will host the annual Christ festival of traditional Japanese dance.

According to the account in the Christ Museum next to the tombs, Christ arrived in Japan at the age of 21 and learnt Japanese before returning to Judaea 12 years later to engage in his mission and preach about the ?holy land of Japan?. The official Shingo history is that Jesus?s place on the Cross was ?casually? taken by his brother, leaving Christ free to return to Japan. On his return he fell in love with Miyuko, a local girl, and lived happily with his family among the rice fields until dying aged 106.

Norihide Nagano, the straight-faced curator of the tombs, says that the theory that the grave does contain the remains of Jesus is supported by several pieces of evidence. There is the local tradition, dating back hundreds of years, of drawing a charcoal cross on babies? heads; and ancient kimonos made in the area incorporated a Star of David.

The upkeep of the site is paid for out of the profits of a local yoghurt factory, and Mr Nagano agrees that The Da Vinci Code will probably boost Shingo?s coffers. The village shop is already doing a roaring trade in Christ-branded sak?. ?Did you enjoy the museum?? asks Mr Nagano. ?If you did, I recommend you go to Ishikawa district. They have the tomb of Moses there.?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I heard that on the radio a few weeks ago! Laughing out loud I laughed for like a minute! Laughing out loud

qwak
User is offlineOffline

lol.

I'm definately going to have to make a trip up there once I get to japan in a couple months.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

Jesus bombed pearl harbour!

Really though, Jesus was clearly a red-voting american, how obivious can it be? o.o;

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline

:shock:

Are these people crazy?

gdon
Theist
User is offlineOffline

qwak wrote:
lol.

I'm definately going to have to make a trip up there once I get to japan in a couple months.

I lived in Japan for several years a few years ago -- great experience! I hope you have a great time! I heard about this legend while there, but was an agnostic at the time and so never bothered to look into it. The area is supposed to be very scenic though, so it might be worth going just for that reason.

This guy here thinks there may be some truth to it, though the guy buried there isn't Christ:
http://www.dailytidings.com/2006/April%202006/0419/041906c1.shtml

It makes sense, so who knows?

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into." -- Author unknown

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

neon wrote:
:shock:

Are these people crazy?

The christians or japanese? Smiling
It kind of stacks one ontop of the other, doesent it?

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

qwak
User is offlineOffline

I doubt the japanese themselves are crazy, maybe japanese christians.. though it does seem like a good way to create a tourist trap.

which reminds me, I have noah's ark in my backyard, $20 and I'll show it to you, and let you go through the noah's ark museum!

during those few months at sea, they followed the currents and landed in ny, not back in the middle east. ny was too cold for noah and his family though, and it was pretty lonely what with everyone in the world drowning, so they caught a cab back to the mideast.

music

http//www.myspace.com/antiqwak

the_avenging_bucket
the_avenging_bucket's picture
User is offlineOffline

qwak wrote:
I have noah's ark in my backyard, $20 and I'll show it to you, and let you go through the noah's ark museum!

Quick!!!
for the love of Go...
er, uhm, i mean for all that is ho...
no no no thats not it, i meant for goodness sake burn it!
Burn the evidence!!!

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline

I frankly doubt that Jesus Christ would make a few thousand miles through the region of many, umm... unfriendly... civilisations perfectly unharmed, cross the sea and head straight to Japan. I, for one, fail to see the reason... as in "Was this trip really necesary?"

No more comments here...

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

the_avenging_bucket
the_avenging_bucket's picture
User is offlineOffline

wait wait i are figured it out- God moved jesus' tomb to japan to test our faith! Dang he almost got me Eye-wink

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

the_avenging_bucket wrote:
wait wait i are figured it out- God moved jesus' tomb to japan to test our faith! Dang he almost got me Eye-wink

lol..nothing slips by you does it? huh huh? :smt117

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.