How is there a Hell if there is no God?

nosuchthingashell
User is offlineOffline
How is there a Hell if there is no God?

Before I start to get flammed on here, I just want to say, I have no problems with anyone NOT believing in God. Personally, I have a problem with being taught that there is some old guy, sitting on a throne ready to condem me for being human and doing what comes to humans naturally.

My one problem with the website is this phrase

You may damn yourself to Hell however you would like, but somewhere in your video you must say this phrase: "I deny the Holy Spirit."

If there is no God, how can you say there is a Hell? To me, it makes no sense. I mean in order to get to Hell, you have to do something to piss this God person off right? I was raised Catholic and that what was pounded into my head for years. Mind you, I think it is all a load of shite. But it what they taught me nontheless.

I think that if we are going to let people make up there own minds and not be brainwashed into believing in some all seeing all knowning being, we also need to debunk the myth that if you piss that being off you are going to fry in hell forever. If you can explain how Hell exists when God doesn't, I would like to hear from you. I am not looking for a fight, this is just an honest question.

Lauri

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
nosuchthingashell

nosuchthingashell wrote:
Before I start to get flammed on here, I just want to say, I have no problems with anyone NOT believing in God. Personally, I have a problem with being taught that there is some old guy, sitting on a throne ready to condem me for being human and doing what comes to humans naturally. My one problem with the website is this phrase You may damn yourself to Hell however you would like, but somewhere in your video you must say this phrase: "I deny the Holy Spirit." If there is no God, how can you say there is a Hell? To me, it makes no sense. I mean in order to get to Hell, you have to do something to piss this God person off right? I was raised Catholic and that what was pounded into my head for years. Mind you, I think it is all a load of shite. But it what they taught me nontheless. I think that if we are going to let people make up there own minds and not be brainwashed into believing in some all seeing all knowning being, we also need to debunk the myth that if you piss that being off you are going to fry in hell forever. If you can explain how Hell exists when God doesn't, I would like to hear from you. I am not looking for a fight, this is just an honest question. Lauri

The people making these videos don't actually believe that by doing so they are condemning themselves to hell. No one who actually believed a hell existed would do such a thing, or at least not in such a ridiculous way. That is the point. It shows that there is no need to fear a non-existent deity. It points out the ridiculousness of the belief. It shocks people and sometimes confuses them, leading to them showing up here and starting a dialogue as you have done. At this time they can be challenged to show the rational and reason behind their beliefs and the fact that they are holding a belief in something that no one has the slightest reason to believe is real can be exposed to them. How much effect would a video simply stating 'I'm an atheist' have?

I by no means speak for the people who run this site and started the challenge, but to me it seems obvious that it is a simply a means to open people eyes, minds, and mouths. It has nothing to do with condemning oneself to a fictitious hell.  

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
Most, if not all, atheists

Most, if not all, atheists in those videos have no belief in Hell and only said that to make a point and to get a free DVD. Hell is a religious concept which doesn't apply outside of religion.

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's tongue in cheek.

it's tongue in cheek.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
nosuchthingashell

nosuchthingashell wrote:
Before I start to get flammed on here, I just want to say, I have no problems with anyone NOT believing in God. Personally, I have a problem with being taught that there is some old guy, sitting on a throne ready to condem me for being human and doing what comes to humans naturally. My one problem with the website is this phrase You may damn yourself to Hell however you would like, but somewhere in your video you must say this phrase: "I deny the Holy Spirit." If there is no God, how can you say there is a Hell? To me, it makes no sense. I mean in order to get to Hell, you have to do something to piss this God person off right? I was raised Catholic and that what was pounded into my head for years. Mind you, I think it is all a load of shite. But it what they taught me nontheless. I think that if we are going to let people make up there own minds and not be brainwashed into believing in some all seeing all knowning being, we also need to debunk the myth that if you piss that being off you are going to fry in hell forever. If you can explain how Hell exists when God doesn't, I would like to hear from you. I am not looking for a fight, this is just an honest question. Lauri

"I know that I'm not going to get presents for the rest of my life, but anyway, here it goes: I deny Santa Claus."

Does that sound familliar?

OF COURSE we don't believe in Hell. This is supposed to be a blasphemy challenge, remember? We don't believe in witches and zombies either, but we dress/make ourselves look like them on Halloween.

I understand this was an honest question, but it wasn't a very smart one, though. No offense intended.

PS: Now that I think of it, I actually haven't received any presents since I denied Santa...

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a wide variety of

There is a wide variety of ages in all the videos submitted.

It is false to say that this website's marketing is aimed at exclusive ly youth.

I think people's fear is that if young people deny a deity that somehow they will become lawless criminals because they dont worship a work of fiction and believe it as fact.

The goal of this website is not to create a godless hitler like world where believers are persicuted. The goal of this site is to show people that they dont need religion to be good and moral.

No one here is suggesting a goverment forced end of religion, nor brainless youth taught blindly to follow us. It is merely here to get the ball rolling on THINKING and questioning.

Wanting to see the end of religion is the same disire a Muslim or Christian has for the spread of their ideas. Atheists dont need to use goverment force to end religion, examining all claims of superstitious magical fiction will be enough.

The free market will benifit atheists and there is no need for indoctrination to atheism or goverment opression of religous people. We are confident enough in our position that when the issue is openly examined that fiction will be put where it belongs by use of reason and critical thought. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog