What else?

Ziggyzaz
User is offlineOffline
What else?

This website really focuses on Christian bashing. While that is nice because it gives me something to laugh about at the end of my day, meaning the Rational Response Squad in general, there really are other religions out there and other gods. Disprovinging Christianity is one thing but what about Buddhism, Confucianisn, Hinduism, Islam? I was just wondering if it was just Christianity because you fell threatened when your told to live a moral life. Maybe I'm wrong, prove it by arguing about other religions, not just one.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Ziggyzaz wrote:

Ziggyzaz wrote:
Disprovinging Christianity is one thing but what about Buddhism, Confucianisn, Hinduism, Islam?

We do all of them.  We argue against faith and belief in anything without proof.  Notice our header banner says theism, not Christianity.  Notice our precept chart says theism, not Christianity.   

Quote:
prove it by arguing about other religions, not just one.

We already have, and will continue to.

Mybanjohurts
User is offlineOffline
I personally respect

I personally respect buddhism because in no buddhist texts does it say that it's a religion but a way of life that you can choose to or not to live.  Though you wont see me rubbing the belly of any idols for luck I can relate with the vegetarian lifestyle and certain forms of meditation (which have nothing to do with a higher power) . I am not a buddhist nor will I ever be one, I'm just sayin, I'd high five one and keep walkin. 

As to the religion bashing I dont know enough about hinduism, confucianism, or the islamic religion for me to make valid/detailed points as to why their beliefs are just as absurd as christians.  What I do know is that there are no people downtown jumping in front of me on my way to a bar or a coffee shop to hand me shitty little comic books about hinduism or to go into great detail about how I'm a lost soul without confucianism. So those particular religions have saved themselves from becoming an easy target from forums such as the ones on this site.

When I tell someone I'm athiest it does not mean that I am not christian, it means that i believe there is no god.  Which right there knocks out religion as a whole not just the christians.  It seems that being in america, christians are the only ones that respond to this, and they do so in a negative way. Hence, they get slammed on the forums and I tell them to fuck off when I'm downtown. I'm sure if i made my athiest beliefs known in india it'd open up a whole new line of debates you wouldn't commonly find in the states and in turn, the hindus would get bashed on the forums.

Piper2000ca
Piper2000ca's picture
User is offlineOffline
As Sapient has said, this

As Sapient has said, this site does take on all religions.  If it seems that Christianity is taking the biggest brunt of it, it is probably because most of the people here are from places like the United States or Canada, where Christianity is the dominant religion.  Subsequently, most of the theists that get debated here are from such countries.  This does not mean we don't want to debate or disprove the other religions, we just don't get a chance to that often.  If you can convice a few Muslims (or any religion for that matter) to come to this board and try to prove their case, I'm sure you would find that there would be tons of people (myself included) that would be more then delighted to debate them (it would actually be somewhat nice to debate a different religion for a change).

As for Christianity telling you to live a moral life (which it doesn't do very well), the vast majority of religions tell you to do that (most don't do it very well either, although some like Buddhism and Jainism aren't that bad at getting their followers to be moral).

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ziggyzaz wrote: This

Ziggyzaz wrote:
This website really focuses on Christian bashing. While that is nice because it gives me something to laugh about at the end of my day, meaning the Rational Response Squad in general, there really are other religions out there and other gods. Disprovinging Christianity is one thing but what about Buddhism, Confucianisn, Hinduism, Islam? I was just wondering if it was just Christianity because you fell threatened when your told to live a moral life. Maybe I'm wrong, prove it by arguing about other religions, not just one.

Christianity doesn't tell someone to lead a moral life.  Rape, murder, genocide and infanticide is all acceptable in the Bible.  Immoral acts are thinking the wrong thing, menstrating, being gay or eating shellfish.  It's not the fault of the Rational Response Squad that your religion has some silly guidelines that even you don't follow.

BTW, it appears most of this site is spent attacking Christianity, not Christians.  I think most people here like Christians a lot but they just don't agree with their views. 

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think you've spent

I don't think you've spent enough time looking around this site.  There is quite a bit posted about how nasty all other religions are as well.  Most of the people who come here to debate are christian, however.  It would be nice to have a greater diversity in silly beliefs to tear to pieces in debate, but hey, you can't always get what you want.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

Pikachu
Pikachu's picture
User is offlineOffline
ImmaculateDeception

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
I don't think you've spent enough time looking around this site. There is quite a bit posted about how nasty all other religions are as well. Most of the people who come here to debate are christian, however. It would be nice to have a greater diversity in silly beliefs to tear to pieces in debate, but hey, you can't always get what you want.
I used all my science & philosophy knowledge to argue against theists like StMichael and it's no use. They keep repeating the same old (God is good... God is that...). It's much easier to deconvert young theists than old theists. And that is a fact.

God had no time to create time.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ziggyzaz wrote:This

Ziggyzaz wrote:

I just love ignorant comments like these. They really tear themselves apart. All they need is a bit of a push.....

Global Religious Populations:

1. Christianity : 2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.3 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
  4. Hinduism: 900 million

So in other words, christianity is the biggest global offender. Followed by Islam, which I'm sure you'll note is mostly in the middle east and africa, and in non-english speaking populations. Therefore making it difficult to prominantly attack it. However, I'm sure in time it will recieve more attention from other religions.

Oh and things get even more interesting if you go regional!

(forgive me if I'm assuming incorrectly that you're american)

American Religious populations:

Christianity: 224,437,959

Nonreligious/Secular: 38,865,604

Oh shit. The number 2 religion(or lack thereof) in the US is barely 1/5 of the population of christians. And you wonder why they are the biggest target? It's simple. They're the biggest target.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Pikachu
Pikachu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: 2.1

Vastet wrote:
2.1 billion
Most of them as never read the bible.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I was just wondering

Quote:
I was just wondering if it was just Christianity because you fell threatened when your told to live a moral life.

Thanks for insulting every atheist and non-xian theist by calling them immoral.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.