YOU NEED A NEW REALIGION! ok well perhaps something else

goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
YOU NEED A NEW REALIGION! ok well perhaps something else

OK so there is no God. Ok now what? Look religion has two sides. The good and the bad. This web site and others are talking
about all the bad things. Great! bully for you!

Now for just a moment let's imagine a world were everyone wakes up and they realize that it is all crap!

What kind of world would it be? Well at first it would be great! No more religious murder! No more religious confusion and suffering.

OK but later I don't see good things happening. Right now people of faith are doing good deads. They are feeding the poor. The are building shelters. They are helping the sick.

Are atheist doing this? Not really. Most atheist are selfish and they don't care about society. Please don't waste time denying this since I know I spent most my life not believing. Don't get me wrong all people can be kind but those without faith are not motivated to help those who are most in need. People are motivated by faith to help society.

SO WHAT SHOULD EVERYONE DO? NO, I am not saying keep the faith.

In order for society to move forward we need something new. Not a religion.
Perhaps we can call it a movement.

Atheists need to show that you can beilieve in nothing and yet at the same time you care be loving and caring to others in a society.

Without love and kindness our society will destroy itself.

CrazyCraig.com


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
ok how about "The

ok how about

"The Freeminds of Non-Religious Kind to Society Church"

oh take the word church out? ok

CrazyCraig.com


V1per41
V1per41's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2006-10-09
User is offlineOffline
goofball wrote: OK so there

goofball wrote:
OK so there is no God. Ok now what? Look religion has two sides. The good and the bad. This web site and others are talking about all the bad things. Great! bully for you! Now for just a moment let's imagine a world were everyone wakes up and they realize that it is all crap! What kind of world would it be? Well at first it would be great! No more religious murder! No more religious confusion and suffering. OK but later I don't see good things happening. Right now people of faith are doing good deads. They are feeding the poor. The are building shelters. They are helping the sick. Are atheist doing this? Not really. Most atheist are selfish and they don't care about society. Please don't waste time denying this since I know I spent most my life not believing. Don't get me wrong all people can be kind but those without faith are not motivated to help those who are most in need. People are motivated by faith to help society. SO WHAT SHOULD EVERYONE DO? NO, I am not saying keep the faith. In order for society to move forward we need something new. Not a religion. Perhaps we can call it a movement. Atheists need to show that you can beilieve in nothing and yet at the same time you care be loving and caring to others in a society. Without love and kindness our society will destroy itself.

 Well isn't that just a big ol' strawman if I've ever heard one before.  I'm curious to see your data on atheists being selfish and not motivated to help those who are most in need.

Just because people realize that there is no invisible person in the sky, doesn't mean that people won't do charity work anymore.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan


AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
Posts: 80
Joined: 2006-07-25
User is offlineOffline
Quote: OK but later I don't

Quote:
OK but later I don't see good things happening. Right now people of faith are doing good deads. They are feeding the poor. The are building shelters. They are helping the sick.

So if those people who are helping lost their belief in god they would stop helping others?

Science, something we advocate, has done more to help feed the poor and help the sick than religion has ever done.

Quote:
Are atheist doing this? Not really. Most atheist are selfish and they don't care about society.

 You don't understand humanism at all do you?

Quote:
Please don't waste time denying this since I know I spent most my life not believing.

So what you are saying is that YOU are selfish and don't care about society. Maybe trying to gain favor with an imaginary friend made you want to help society? ..hmm selfish? I think so.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong all people can be kind but those without faith are not motivated to help those who are most in need. People are motivated by faith to help society.

When you do away with gods you realize that humanity is the most important thing.

"I believe in the religion of reason -- the gospel of this world; in the development of the mind, in the accumulation of intellectual wealth, to the end that man may free himself from superstitious fear, to the end that he may take advantage of the forces of nature to feed and clothe the world." [Robert Ingersoll 1896]


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
yes

Yes you got it right. Without faith I am more selfish. Yes most people are like that and if you don't think so then you are being foolish.

CrazyCraig.com


GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
Posts: 461
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
goofball wrote: Yes you

goofball wrote:

Yes you got it right. Without faith I am more selfish. Yes most people are like that and if you don't think so then you are being foolish.

 

That's a pretty negative view of humanity, there, pal.

I have MANY atheist friends, and they're all sweet caring people. Just a couple of examples: My mother gave a ton of money for the tsunami relief and I myself bought a hot sandwich for a homeless guy only last night. Small things, but would you say they are selfish? In a way, you're right, I give money and help to people BECAUSE I am selfish, because it makes me feel good to help someone. I smile when I think about people I've helped.

 And religious people are being selfish too.

Theists: Do good = go to heaven, win god's favour(FEEL GOOD?)

            Do bad = Go to hell or (depending on your belief)  
                    seperation from god (FEEL BAD?)
 

Atheists: Do good = feel good, are admired & liked by community

             Do bad = feel bad, are punished, disliked by community


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
good to hear

Good to hear you and your mom are both giving people. Really that is good.

 Now, look at a bigger picture. Here are 3 people in history: Jesus, Gandhi, Buddha.

Here is 3 different people of 3 different faiths. Each motivated millions (perhaps Billions)to feed the hungrey, help the poor, help the sick.

As you can see I am very open minded.

Please list people who's teachings were to help the weak yet had no faith.

Craig

CrazyCraig.com


GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
Posts: 461
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
goofball wrote: Good to

goofball wrote:

Good to hear you and your mom are both giving people. Really that is good.

Now, look at a bigger picture. Here are 3 people in history: Jesus, Gandhi, Buddha.

Here is 3 different people of 3 different faiths. Each motivated millions (perhaps Billions)to feed the hungrey, help the poor, help the sick.

As you can see I am very open minded.

Please list people who's teachings were to help the weak yet had no faith.

Craig

 

Well, first of all, your argument is kind of flawed. If I can name 3 atheists who are charitable, you'll say, but those 3 religious people inspired MILLIONS to be charitable.

There are many atheists who contribute but aren't famous. And a lot of atheists contribute to religious orginizations, because those are the only ones they know about. Can you imagine most theists donating to a charity called "Atheists Who Care" or something? Probably wouldn't happen.

Here's a few for your consideration.

Warren Buffett

Robert Owen  

Andrew Carnegie

Stephen Girard

George Soros

Dr. Indumati Parikh

These are just a few. Look them up. They may not be as famous as your big 3.... (And technically Gautama Buddha denied a creator god) but they affect/ed the world. You simply can't say that humans without religion are more selfish. Humans have a definite interest, a biological imperative to make sure other humans are doing okay.


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
great

Thank you I really hope you are right.

I hope that the human race will fix itself without belief in a creator God.

CrazyCraig.com


Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
goofball wrote: Atheists

goofball wrote:
Atheists need to show that you can beilieve in nothing and yet at the same time you care be loving and caring to others in a society.

Without love and kindness our society will destroy itself.

There are atheist who do things...

There are a few idea floating around for such a PR campain, but even if a group went through such a thing people would see it as just PR which is all it would be if talked about.

I don't know about love, depending on what you mean when you use the term, but really there is only such much caring people have to do for a society to exist.

A society that does want all people to be happy will probably be a better one to live in, but at the same time people need to be careful about not getting people to dependent on others. 


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
well let me talk about 1

well let me talk about 1 example.

My job is to take care of a really nice handicap couple. Would I do this job without faith? Yes perhaps but it would not be the same. Without faith it would just be a job. With faith it is more of a calling and I really care about their lives. Perhaps this is just me.

CrazyCraig.com


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
goofball wrote: Yes you got

goofball wrote:
Yes you got it right. Without faith I am more selfish.

 Nice to see people mean nothing to you, unlike me. I care about my little sister, I don't need a god to tell me to care for her, I just do.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
little sisters are one

little sisters are one thing..

A different thing is a person that you have to clean after they go the bathroom. I would care but it just would not be the same.

CrazyCraig.com


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
In case you missed it,

In case you missed it, here's a thread about atheistic charity: http://tinyurl.com/yfuoug

The main difference is until people started attacking atheists for not helping society, I didn't feel a need to proclaim my involvement.  Christians seem to need to make a big deal out of it: "LOOK!  WE'RE DOING GOOD!  LOOK AT US!  WE'RE FEEDING THE POOR!"

Are atheists going to have to start making being obnoxious about it?  God, I hope not.   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


goofball
Theist
Posts: 59
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
That is good news. I am

That is good news. I am glad to hear it. I myself have never seen nor heard of any real non-faith group giving to charity but it seems I am wrong.

Really I was talking about taking care of the sick and the weak but giving to charity is a good thing.

I know many, in fact very many that have faith and give to help people.

I am glad that I have it all wrong.

CrazyCraig.com


ShawnMilo
ShawnMilo's picture
Posts: 2
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
It's easy to see how someone

It's easy to see how someone might think that, without religion, there would be a drastic decline in charitable works.

However, it only takes a little change of perspective to remove that fear from your mind. Consider the following:

1. It is unlikely that religious people doing charitable works are thinking "I'm getting points with God for this!" the whole time. Chances are, doing good things makes them feel good -- just like it does for atheists.

2. There are countries on this planet which are not strongly religious, in general. Crime is very low in countries like Japan compared to our Christian-dominated culture.

3. Many religions teach that you can be forgiven for nearly any sin and that there is an afterlife for those suffering today. Those are two good reasons *not* to do charitable works. Atheists, on the other hand, realize that the only lives we are guaranteed to have are the ones going on right at this moment. So relieving suffering and causing happiness for ourselves and others is more important, in the bigger picture, for atheists than theists.

Just some happy things to think about.

Shawn

If you believe in a god, it's because of something someone else told you.

If you're an atheist, it's because you made a conscious decision based on reality.


Jella
Jella's picture
Posts: 5
Joined: 2007-01-03
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: In

Iruka Naminori wrote:

In case you missed it, here's a thread about atheistic charity: http://tinyurl.com/yfuoug

The main difference is until people started attacking atheists for not helping society, I didn't feel a need to proclaim my involvement.  Christians seem to need to make a big deal out of it: "LOOK!  WE'RE DOING GOOD!  LOOK AT US!  WE'RE FEEDING THE POOR!"

Are atheists going to have to start making being obnoxious about it?  God, I hope not.   

Every time I take some articles to the Goodwill, I'm asked if I want a reciept for tax deduction. I always refuse, as well to me it's really not giving then.

On another blog during the Katrina disaster a bunch donated some mone and drove it down to a kid who's family lost their house, but were quite well to do, and now have a new house. I mean the kid was offline, for less than two weeks, moved to a motel and was able to get right back online.

My argument wasn't that they gave to someone in need, but I guess to me it would've been nice had they taken that donation and given it to a one of those drawn out looking families just sitting around in one of the shelters.

 They were pretty proud of themselves, I was just kind of sickened.


GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
Posts: 461
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Jella wrote: Iruka

Jella wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

In case you missed it, here's a thread about atheistic charity: http://tinyurl.com/yfuoug

The main difference is until people started attacking atheists for not helping society, I didn't feel a need to proclaim my involvement. Christians seem to need to make a big deal out of it: "LOOK! WE'RE DOING GOOD! LOOK AT US! WE'RE FEEDING THE POOR!"

Are atheists going to have to start making being obnoxious about it? God, I hope not.

Every time I take some articles to the Goodwill, I'm asked if I want a reciept for tax deduction. I always refuse, as well to me it's really not giving then.

Hah, that's what my mom does. When she gave to the Tsunami fund through her bank, they asked her if she wanted a deductable reciept, and she said, "What? SO I can just get the money back on my taxes? That's AWFUL!"

A bunch of people behind her in line looked rather ill and uncomfortable. ROTF