From Cosmological Argument to Christianity?

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
From Cosmological Argument to Christianity?

I think that there is a glaring problem with Christian debaters.

Look at each of these arguments:

Intelligent Design
Cosmological Argument
Ontological Argument
Teleological Argument
And others...
----

Each of these arguments ONLY posits that an "intelligent creator" exists.

This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with Christianity. It is merely "belief in 'A' god." Not belief in Yahweh. Not belief in God of the Bible. Not belief in Allah, or Krishna, or Zeus.

All of those arguments are "theistic" arguments that have nothing to do with religion.

Why, then, do atheists not spend more time asking Christians how they go from Intelligent Design or the Cosmological Argument to Christianity?

How would Christians respond?

Revelation? Faith in the Bible?

Providing a link from deism to Christianity is a BIG step, and I've heard hardly ANY discussion about it. Could anyone direct me to such Christian theology or a debate when this was discussed?

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Providing a link from deism to Christianity is a BIG step, and I've heard hardly ANY discussion about it. Could anyone direct me to such Christian theology or a debate when this was discussed?

If we were to ask them to prove Christianity is true they would just quote scripture and possibly take it as if we were conceding their argument for the existence of a god, which is usually the topic of debates. If the debate topic was "Does the Christian God Exist" then you could dismiss any of the arguments you listed and focus on debunking Christianity without losing ground in the debate.

Intelligent design and the teleological argument are the same thing by the way.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Christians that I have

The Christians that I have debated with use 'historical evidence' to assert the truth of their religion. However, the arguments fall flat straight away if the person doesn't believe in some kind of God as the historical arguments can't prove supernaturalism.

The historical arguments rely on a belief in God already, which is where these theological arguments come in.