Something did not come from nothing

Ry
User is offlineOffline
Something did not come from nothing

http://www.rys2sense.com/anti-neocons/viewtopic.php?t=2564

The Invisible Ocean
 An Atehist's answer to philosophically based religions, Deists, and Agnostics.

Matter is eternal. The big Bang is the start of measurable time only but not existence.

Face it the world and all life on it was not created in six or seven days by a magical being. People may agree or disagree with this; some may believe in a personal god or conventional god. As for the people who literally believe in magical gardens, my words are lost on you and you need not read any further.  

Conventional gods are easily dismissed with a little bit of history or science. After all, Gods come and go from Set and Sin to Zeus and Athena, to Apollo, to Allah, and Yahweh. Religions come, reform, and eventually die. There have been many religions made up through out the world, some are large and popular like Islam, and some are always small like the Tao.

Organized religoins do not go very far with even a drop of skepticism or critical thinking. They must rely heavily on faith because there is no other way to convince people with reason how they could possibly be true.  One with an open mind, does not have to look far to see the inconsistencies, tragedies, mistakes, shortcomings, and often laughable absurdities in each. 

Most people claim to be a 'such and such', but with a little questioning one discovers that they actually have a personalized god that they reformed from the religion they were brought up to believe. For example a lot of Catholics I know are actually Protestants because they don’t believe in the Pope. They merely call themselves Catholics because that’s what their parents told them they were. Apparently they didn’t give it much thought. Likewise most Protestants can not even tell you what separates their sect from another Protestant sect. Sure some can, but it is still interesting how little investigation goes into religious thought for many. 

Some people may reject specific texts but maintain that something IS out there and that religions are all just worshiping the same thing under different titles. A huge hole in this argument is that not all religions have a god(s). Plus, after enough reduction aren't you really a Deist rather than part of a particular creed? This brings us to personalized gods.

What about the personalized gods? These gods or even forces seem to be born out of philosophies or seemingly logical deductions. These gods and their arguments are then too often kidnapped by the conventional religion promoters. These kinds of religions based on philosophy rather than on fear or dogmatism are far more respectable than the more fairytale like fantasies. It is important then to have a discussion to address these more moderate religious beliefs. So let’s look at one of the puzzles that seems to get a lot of people, even the agnostics.

The age old question, “Where did it/we all come from?” People think, that there had to be a beginning to matter and since (they assume) it all had to come from somewhere, and there must be a kind of god that 'Made' everything. So god must be real. For the god-thing it is acceptable to not have a start b/c it is somehow magic and above that rule. I think everyone may have asked and answered this question of themselves when they were a young child. There a few things wrong with this.

Well, "Where did it/we all come from?"  (Why would it have to come from anything) Within this question are two assumed truths, that being had to come from something rather than being that something. And that nothingness existed at some point, because anything that is not nothing is something.

Now, why is nothingness assumed as the default setting? Is it because religious texts say 'in the beginning all was void'? Somethingness and nothingness do not have to come from each other. (in fact they logically could not) Each has equal claim to always being. In fact, because one can not come from the other, existence has always been. One can ask, where does nothingness come from? People seem to think that nothingness doesn't have to come from anything, that it just always is. But is it not equally as reasonable to ask how nothingness was made from somethingness, as it is to ask the reverse?

What one can question is the assumption of a nothingness. An old Taoist saying goes, "Fish do not know they are in the water." Humans do not see space as a thing (out side of a fabric for motion and an area for gravity) but it is very possible that nowhere is there nothing. The words on this screen have space between them but there is still the screen. Space is like the grid we are all subject to. The Higgs field particle is on its way if predictions are correct, we are about to discover our own invisible ocean.

For somthingness to come from a previous something, the previous something would be part of the continued existence of existence thus just as nothingness does not come from nothingness, nothingness just is, somethingness does not have to come from something it just is as well. The difference and the confusion lies in that somethingness can change. As a 'new' something comes from a previous something, this is a measure of change we call this time. Existence does not ‘come from’ existence; existence is what is, it is being. Time is a measure of change within the being but not a measure of being itself. All measurements are parts of infinity, like all numbers are parts of a possible infinity. Nothingness simply remains nothing and somethingness, though it can change, always remains not nothing i.e. somethingness. Therefore you either believe in the eternity of nothingness or somethingness or both. Unless you make up a god and say it made either the nothing or the something, but even a god can not have neither. The god idea however is not necessary, at least not for that reason. The only religion around it might be Pantheism which holds that the somethingness is god. But to be realistic my audience is mainly moderate Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

“What about the big bang? What came ‘before’ the big bang?” This is another typical question and a reasonable question too. Again the word before implies time and we know now, in large part because of Einstein, that time is a physical thing, (much like motion is physical-esk. Motion is a movement, but there still must be a thing doing the moving.) Before this physical universe moved, our reality and time were not. (Unless there is a multiverse which is a different can of worms. Smiling To ask "what came before?" implies again the English languages obsession with location metaphores, 'going to' and 'coming from'. There is no 'Before' until there is time. There is also no coming in the coming before since this in fact would be the start. The start is the start, if you keep gong back you just get a new start, but it is still the start and there is no 'coming' before it,  there is not even a 'before'. It was also never nothing. Time does not really Exist. Capital E on exist. Time is a concept of our memories.

The past is not real, that is, it does not exist, only our memories exist. This moment, right now, is all that is actual. The present is eternal in existence. Time does not exist outside of existence. Time is the measure of change in objects from one point in the now to another point in the now. But really, time is some concept out of the memory. Time applies to changes but not to existence. For every action there is a thing doing the act. The action cannot predate the things. There is no time until there is existence. There are no changes until there are things to be changing. So you see there is no such thing as before existence if it has always been. It's like saying what was nothing before it was nothing. The answer is simply still nothing. So the answer what was before the big bang? Well everything was. "What was everything doing?" Is a better question. When you say the word was do you mean what happend i.e. events or what existed i.e. subjects. And there can be no events without subjects. So there is no before existence.

That’s one answer and it does not even require a bigbang. Now, folks in the M-theory camp can give you yet another explanation, the question is, is M-theory even still science or philosophy? Wait, was not science once called natural philosophy? Newton did not call what he did science, but philosophy. Is science not lead by imagination, by science fiction, by philosophies, and then later 'proven' (within a paradigm) by the most current empirical data? The history of our future is a philosophy of the past.

And there was light...

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Of course

BobSpence1 wrote:

Of course information, either that represented by the specific position and momentum of all the fundamental particles in a system, or that represented by ideas, concepts, narratives that we hold within our individual or collective minds, is in a different category of 'reality' than matter and energy . D' UHH.

That doesn't mean they are independent of materiality as such. This has already been explained.

If all material copies, in books, tapes, etc, of a great work of fiction were destroyed, and the last person who recalled any of it died, it would no longer exist in any sense. IOW it is dependent on the existence of its embodiment in physically measureable form in at least one material object for its existence. Therefore that form of information, though not material in itself, is totally dependent on the existence of matter, which is a necessity for any persistent structure  or pattern. An immaterial mind is an oxymoron, with the emphasis on moron.

Our emergent minds are what bestow meaning on particular symbols or patterns. Those meanings have no reality beyond the context of our own thought processes, often not even beyond our own culture/societal context.

You seem to have fallen for the Platonic Idealism crap.

the problem is just the other way around.
there is no reason why a unbodied mind should not exist.
but there is good reason to believe, information cannot arise from inanimated matter. Einstein was well aware of this, when he wrote :

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t283-einstein-s-gulf-can-evolution-cross-it?highlight=einstein

Albert Einstein, one of the greatest scientists of all time, described the "gulf" that logically separates the concrete world of hard objects on the one hand from the abstract world of ideas on the other. He wrote:

We have the habit of combining certain concepts and conceptual relations (propositions) so definitely with certain sense experiences that we do not become conscious of the gulf—logically unbridgeable—which separates the world of sensory experiences from the world of concepts and propositions (1944, p. 289).

On the one side, we find the real world of objects, events, and tensional space-time relations. On the other side, we find fully abstract representations that contain information about the material world. That articulate information is abstracted first by our senses, secondarily by our bodily actions, and tertiarily by our ability to use one or more particular languages (e.g., English, French, Navajo, etc.). Between the two realms shown in figure 1, we find what appears to be an uncrossable gulf.

A small part of the evolutionists' problem is that hard objects are never observed spontaneously to transform themselves (on their own recognizance) into abstract ideas. The sun cannot sky-write the fact that it is about 93,000,000 miles from the earth. Neither do events transform themselves automatically into propositions. The meteor that collided with the earth leaving the crater out near Winslow, Arizona, cannot appear on CNN to tell of its journey, or to announce how hot it got streaking across the sky. Nor do space-time relations perceive, define, or narrate their unfolding over time. Events and relations between objects in time and space do not come stamped with date, time, and place of manufacture. While the earth may be affected by the moons of Jupiter in ways that science might detect, a planet is no more able to announce its age or recount its history, or declare the forces to which it is subject, than a dog can recite his pedigree or pronounce his mother's name.

But all of the foregoing is hardly apt to be seen as a great difficulty to the lumbering clumsy logic that evolutionists typically apply. Nevertheless, Einstein's Gulf is hard to get around. For any materialistic theory of evolution—i.e., the kinds espoused by Darwin, Freud, Marx, Hitler, Stalin, Sagan, Gould, etc.—all of which propose that non-living chemicals sprang to life which eventually evolved abstract thought, Einstein's Gulf produces a logical burden under which they collapse. All those theories fail to show in a comprehensible and plausible way how it is possible for inert matter to cross Einstein's Gulf.

What is required is the transformation of an undifferentiated continuum of chaos into the articulate design known to us only through a common human language as suggested in figure 2. For instance, consider the paper you are presently reading. I am writing these words in English, and, if you are understanding them, you must be doing so by finding yourself in possession of a similar language capacity and the same language, English. Apart from such a language capacity, it has been rigorously demonstrated that not even so much as a single object can be pointed out and agreed upon (Peirce, 1897; Oller, 1996). Without the assistance of a particular human language, no two individuals can know for certain that they are looking at the same object. Mere pointing in the direction of an object, or even a moving picture without words, cannot assure determinate understanding. Pointing is intrinsically ambiguous with respect to whatever may lie along the line of sight or pointing. To disambiguate the possibilities requires the assistance of the conventional symbols of a language.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline

xx

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

See: 1- Snowflake 2- Fullerene 3- Carbon Nanotube 4- Fractal Open a science book next time, before your pubescent hormone spikes cause you to openly demonstrate your stupidity, again. Your Nobel Prize awaits you, to demonstrate your idea that a 'mind' is responsible for these mechanics. Good luck...

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/ifyoucanreadthis2.htm

The Key Issue: Patterns vs. Designs The starting point of this entire discussion is to define the difference between a pattern and a design. A pattern could be a tornado or hurricane, but a tornado or hurricane is not design. Nature does have self-organizing properties. Not all patterns are designed, but all designs have patterns. And that will become a very important concept. So let's talk about some naturally occurring patterns. This is a photograph that I took in Luray Caverns in Virginia last summer when I was on vacation. Has anybody ever been to cavern? Are they really amazing or what? They are just spectacular. Some kids were digging around about a hundred years ago and there was this hole that all this mud seemed to be sinking into, and they got to exploring and they find this huge cavern under the ground. The cavern has stalagmites (those are the ones that hang from the ceiling) and stalactites, which build up from the floor. And beautiful patterns formed totally naturally; nobody had to design this cavern. The cavern naturally happened. Here's another naturally occurring pattern, a tornado funnel cloud. Does anybody have to design a tornado? No. When you have the right weather conditions when you have the right temperature and pressure and moisture, and the right layers of temperature in the air. It forms and happens all by itself and it does amazing damage if it hits your house. Snowflakes: every one is different, right? At home I've got a snowflake book and you can look in amazing detail under a microscope and you look at these exquisite patterns. Did anybody have to design snowflake? No, not at all. Water + cold air + gravity + wind + time gives you snowflakes. In a cavern, water + minerals + gravity + time = stalactites and stalagmites. Hot air + cold air + moisture + time = tornados and hurricanes, right? We all experience these things everyday. Now lets talk about designs. Let me give you some examples of designs. Music - you can hear music, and we all know it sounds like. You see the musicians in the picture, and the sheet music here is a symbolic representation of that music. The sheet music corresponds to what you hear but music exists in two forms. It exists in the symbolic form the notes on a piece of paper. It also exists in the physical form, which is the vibration in the ear. Both are equivalent to each other but they are in different forms, right? The Fundamental Characteristic of Designs Chinese people don't normally use pin yin, but if you see Chinese signs written for English people you see pin yin. Then you have a translation into English. And you have two kinds of symbolic representation of Chinese. There's the word ge ge, which means older brother. So once again the design is always characterized by a plan that symbolizes what was actually created later. That's the fundamental characteristic of a design. So here's what I want to illustrate: First we talked about patterns and chaos. Stalactites and stalagmites, tornados, hurricanes weather, snowflakes. On the right I've got information music, maps of Washington D.C.., Chinese symbols English letters. Patterns & Chaos: Purely a Result of Matter and Energy, Not Mental Processes What is the difference between the two? Patterns are simply created by matter in energy. That's all that's there. In the world of patterns there is never an exact copy. That is an interesting little observation. It requires no thought from anybody, true? To have information you have to matter and energy and will. Somebody has to decide to create information. Somebody has to write the music. The interesting thing about information is that you can have exact copies of it. You can have an exact copy of a book. I can send you an email and what can you do with it? You can read it on your screen. You can print it out on your printer. You can read it out loud. You could read it over the telephone. You could save it as a Microsoft Word document. You could post it on the Internet as a web page.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote: i don't

angelobrazil wrote:

i don't debate with atheists, that are not strong enough to debate my arguments. instead they think they need to attack me......

Meh....that's fine.

Don't care, either way, what your personal opinions are, on your prowess.

Or that you won't debate me personally.

I gave you 4 items for you to reverse engineer, and unequivocally deduce to the origin of a 'mind', as first cause.

I'll just stand back in awe...

Good luck.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Physical information in the form of the position and momentum of the fundamental particles in a given volume of space-time is also fixed, which is why black-holes have represented a theoretical problem in cosmology, since it appears that particles disappearing into a black hole represent information lost to our universe.

That one may be fixed BobSpence1. I have not quite internalized it personally but apparently there is an argument where lost information requires the temperature of the universe to be infinite. As this is observably not so, then information loss can't be real.

It is on the cutting edge of physics and one of the things that the LHC is supposed to be capable of confirming (shortly after they succeed in making black holes).

I am not wanting to get on board with unproven things but the idea is that the information content of the universe is both inside the universe and on the event horizon. Pretty much the holographic principal. That being said, the reservation here is that if it is wrong, then we are going to have to redo general relativity. Depending on what the LHC tells us, possibly we will have no choice. But it seems unlikely.

That much being said, the airplane analogy is fucked. Part of the information on the airplane is the amount of fuel. Since you need more fuel for an airplane with 10,000kg of passegers, then you need different information for a full plane to reach it's destination.

Yea they are still as for as I know conducting tests at Cern  to determine whether the basic state of timespace is fuzzy (and therefore holographic ) or precise and not.  I posted some info a couple places elsewhere.  redneF and I weer discussing I think. Susskind's idea is that the origins of the universe is a flat 2 dimensional event horizin that conserve information by projecting as our unviverse which is really a 3D holograph. Susskind created the idea when he had Hawkings at a dinner party. Hawkings theories at that time had blackholes evaporating and information along with them (1981).  Lenny Susskind's the big man in the holographic principle and string theory theory that is widely accepted by physicists. Amazing stuff. Chalmers who is working on consciousness as a fundamental aspect of nature (and physical) implies that this level of information interacts as experience with other structures of information. The more complex the experience the closer the move to consciousness.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelo, I pointed out that

Angelo, I pointed out that the very fact that DNA sequences are NOT symbolic is why it does not equivalent to a human generated code, you idiot! Thanks for demonstrating how little you really understand of this stuff.

The fact that sequences are 'mathematically' determined is what makes them different from human designed code. We often use math in code to conceal or compress the information content, not as part of the information content of the code, unlike the mathematical relationships we find in DNA, which follow from the structure of the molecules involved, and are our description of the operation of the mechanism of DNA copying.

Your comment about machines is quite true, but has nothing to do with pointing to a God.

What was your point there?

I would assume from your other comments that you would want to make an analogy between machines and life forms or other complex systems in nature.

The crucial distinction between human designed machines and life-forms is that machines are indeed clearly designed for a utilitarian function, whereas life-forms are NOT.

They are ultimately 'designed' to survive and reproduce themselves, which in turn allows them to evolve under the blind process of natural selection. This lack of an clear purpose apart from their own survival and self-reproduction means they have no purpose and do not point back to an intelligent creator, in start contrast to our designed machines.

So machines are a good argument against an ultimate intelligent designer, as they present such a clear contrast with the nature of living things - they have a clear and usually narrow function which is designed to serve the purposes of some entity not themselves, and they are dependent on a conscious designer and manufacturer for their construction, unlike living things.

The fact that there are so many varieties with often very minor variations, also makes them far more likely to be the product of a natural process than a conscious designer, especially when you see a number of examples of very poor 'design'.

That was what started the originally God-believing Darwin in questioning the idea of a 'creator'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:TGBaker

angelobrazil wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

You obscene theist. You kiss ya mam with that mouth. 

i don't debate with atheists, that are not strong enough to debate my arguments. instead they think they need to attack me......

You don't have the knowledge or understanding to seriously debate the case for a God.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Angelo, I

BobSpence1 wrote:
Angelo, I pointed out that the very fact that DNA sequences are NOT symbolic is why it does not equivalent to a human generated code, you idiot! Thanks for demonstrating how little you really understand of this stuff.

what you do not seem to understand is, that we do not know any codified information, unless it is created by intelligent mind, as humans. Since you agree, DNA is indeed and literally a code, and coded information comes only from a mind, then DNA was created by a mind. Unless you can show otherwise, this evidence stands. Don't call me idiot, i very well understand what i am talking about. Onces again you call me a idiot, i will start to ignore you. Lets keep it polite, please !!

BobSpence1 wrote:
Your comment about machines is quite true, but has nothing to do with pointing to a God.

What was your point there?

the very own text answers your question :

It is the information that determines and directs the assembly of the material system into the necessary configuration, thereby creating a machine. This means that tracing backward to the manufacture and design of any machine capable of performing useful work will lead to the discovery or necessity of information and ultimately to its intelligent source.

BobSpence1 wrote:

The crucial distinction between human designed machines and life-forms is that machines are indeed clearly designed for a utilitarian function, whereas life-forms are NOT.

what a utmost nonsense and crap !!

Cellular proteins are biomachines essential for construction, function, maintenance, and reproduction of the entire organism

BobSpence1 wrote:

They are ultimately 'designed' to survive and reproduce themselves, which in turn allows them to evolve under the blind process of natural selection.

you fail again. Natural selection took place only, after the first living cell was created.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

You don't have the knowledge or understanding to seriously debate the case for a God.

it seems , you neither..... with such nonsense arguments as above.....

you may present a serious case for your atheism, when you can point out to codified information, as ( you admitted ) is contained literally in DNA, that has not a intelligent mind as origin.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

it seems , you neither..... with such nonsense arguments as above..... you may present a serious case for your atheism, when you can point out to codified information, as ( you admitted ) is contained literally in DNA, that has not a intelligent mind as origin.

I was serious present anything that shows DNA was produced by a "mind"
 rather than by natural selection, sexual reproduction or mutation.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

angelobrazil wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Duh I was responding to your cursing.  Not everyone likes that type of langauge and when I was in your camp it was considered sinful. But since you can not distinguish tongue and cheek humor from seriousness.... Fuck you.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA it's still information on a physical medium that is recorded on to a physical medium, which does not exist without that physical medium which requires what again? Energy to record it to that physical medium. Please show me where it exists without a material medium then. As for your airplane analogy, yeah they are now part of that plane, what happens to that plan, it's weight, is affected by those passengers. If that plane crashes those people are affected by that. However the CD information, is recorded by having the laser make marks on the dye on CD-R's for example. However the information is still being stored on the physcial medium, which itself would not exist if there was no physical medium to store this information. So again, where does information exist without a physical medium? 

Information must be non-material because it can be destroyed? ummmm we can destroy physical structures we can obliterate them to nothing, evaporate them per se with nuclear weapons, so with your logic those structures are immaterial?

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t287-information-evidence-for-a-creator Law of Matter about Machines (LM1) When information is utilized in a material domain, it always requires a machine. Definition of a machine: A machine is a material device that uses energy to perform a specific task. Information is required for the design and construction of machines. What does this mean? Both information and matter are necessary for the development of a machine. It is the information that determines and directs the assembly of the material system into the necessary configuration, thereby creating a machine. This means that tracing backward to the manufacture and design of any machine capable of performing useful work will lead to the discovery or necessity of information and ultimately to its intelligent source.

Yet you fail to understand your mistake, information itself cannot exist without a material/physical medium. You say there is no reason why the mind cannot exist without the material, yet you cannot provide any evidence that the mind exists without the brain, none whatsoever. All you do is AVOID actually answering that part. Information that we humans use can be considered immaterial but it requires a material brain to interpret it, and we interpret it via visual, physical and via sound. However when your talking about DNA and information you talking about a pattern that does not require a conscious mind for the pattern of nucleotides which influences the formation and development of an organism. 

Even worse you cannot explain how this mind that you speak of got the information required to make humans without special pleading, which is what you do normally. So yeah sorry angelo, keep on avoiding the big problem you have with your whole mind created information in DNA and it's immaterial thing.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
You do have an example of

You do have an example of 'codified information' in nature, with no identifiable intelligence involved, namely DNA. This is FACT.

We can see a plausible process how that form of non-symbolic code could arise by purely natural processes.

Therefore your arguments are rendered empty. You are gratuitously introducing an 'intelligent designer' with no justification, and then denying that DNA is an example of what you are demanding we show.

The cellular mechanisms serve no purpose apart from "construction, function, maintenance, and reproduction of the entire organism" of which they are an integral part, which itself has no purpose apart from its own perpetuation.

All parts of living organisms are highly inter-dependent, unlike machines where we can freely replace individual parts with zero effect on their operation, whereas replacing an organ in a living creature involves all kinds of issues only relevant to the survival of the creature, such as tissue matching, immune system hassles leading to possible rejection, etc, none of which are relevant to the basic function of the organism. This all points to the emergence of the structure of living organisms as a total system, the result of evolutionary emergence from ultimately simpler forms.

So those mechanisms can indeed be traced back to a 'design' process, ie  evolution by natural selection.

Fail again.

Selection acts as soon as there are self-replicating entities of any kind, therefore it will act on naked RNA-type molecules , which have been shown to be able to arise under natural conditions.

So your assertion here is one of the clearer examples of your mis-understanding of this whole topic.

Fail again.

Back at you: show me an example of a mind not intimately dependent on a material body/brain system.

"Immaterial" implies not capable of existing in its own right, ie it is an attribute of, a property, of a process of interaction between entities composed of,  matter, and its associated energy, or a description of such things.

So an "immaterial mind" is a utterly bankrupt concept. It cannot exist, according to all current tested understanding.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck

latincanuck wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA it's still information on a physical medium that is recorded on to a physical medium, which does not exist without that physical medium

why should a unbodied mind not be possible to exist ? you still need to answer my question....

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:You do have

BobSpence1 wrote:

You do have an example of 'codified information' in nature, with no identifiable intelligence involved, namely DNA. This is FACT.

the fact, the intelligence involved cannot be perceived physically, does not mean it does not require one.

BobSpence1 wrote:

We can see a plausible process how that form of non-symbolic code could arise by purely natural processes.

DNA uses a symbolic code. The decoded portion of DNA contains 4 letters (ATCG) that make up three-letter words (codon). These codons are arranged linearly in a various sequence (syntax).

Meaning Each three-letter word represents 1 of the 20 specific amino acids used in life. The sequence (syntax) of the DNA words designates the specific sequence of the amino acids in protein formation.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Therefore your arguments are rendered empty.

that is just wishful thinking. I am presenting FACTs. And as long as you are unable to present codified information, as contained in DNA, which does not require a mind, my evidence stands. NO atheist has so far been able to bring up a valid answer.

BobSpence1 wrote:

You are gratuitously introducing an 'intelligent designer' with no justification

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/iidb.htm

1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism.
2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.
3) Therefore DNA was designed by a mind.

If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

BobSpence1 wrote:

and then denying that DNA is an example of what you are demanding we show.

The cellular mechanisms serve no purpose apart from "construction, function, maintenance, and reproduction of the entire organism"

so then they serve a purpose. construction, function, maintenance, and reproduction of the entire organism IS a purpose.

BobSpence1 wrote:

This all points to the emergence of the structure of living organisms as a total system, the result of evolutionary emergence from ultimately simpler forms.

As said, the quest is how the first cell arose. Natural selection simply is not a working force here.

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t60-abiogenesis-a-reasonable-answer-to-explain-how-live-arise-on-earth

After all, what selective advantage would be gained for non-thinking atoms and molecules to form a living thing? They really gain nothing from this process so why would a mindless non-directed Nature select to bring life into existence? Natural selection really isn't a valid force at this point in time since there really is no conceivable advantage for mindless molecules to interact as parts of a living thing verses parts of an amorphous rock or a collection of sludge. Even if a lot of fully formed proteins and strings of fully formed DNA molecules were to come together at the same time, what are the odds that all the hundreds and thousands of uniquely specified proteins needed to decode both the DNA and mRNA, (not to mention the needed ATP molecules and the host of other unlisted "parts"), would all simultaneously fuse together in such a highly functional way? Not only has this phenomenon never been reproduced by any scientist in any laboratory on earth, but a reasonable mechanism by which such a phenomenon might even occur has never been proposed - outside of intelligent design that is.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA it's still information on a physical medium that is recorded on to a physical medium, which does not exist without that physical medium

why should a unbodied mind not be possible to exist ? you still need to answer my question....

We have no case supporting a disembodied or "unbodied" mind. All minds that we have evidence for emerge from neural correlates of consciousness.  Mind is a highly functioning complex of interacting systems. Mind is effected by interfering with the physical strata,  the brain. If I slice an area in the back of your brain I can stop your perception.  I can separate the right and left hemispheres and the right brain will be able to ape combing hair if I show it a comb but not name it. The left brain can name it and not know its function. This is a reduction of the mind from its physical strata.  I can drill a hole in your prefrontal lobe and you will not follow through with your aspirations, ethical goals and plans. You will be impulsive and given to cursing. I can take your memories and leave your consciousness. I can reverse the process.  I can interfere with the right side of your frontal cortex and you will report being outside your body or someone standing near you that can't be seen.  I can run  an experiment where I ask you to randomly decide when to move your arm up or down,  measure your conscious area with a region further back and tell you before you  believe you have decided  that you have decided because the function occurs in a non-conscious motor area. The conscious is at most emergent from physical processes that are unconsciously functional and behavioral. And the unconscious mind is a terrible thing.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

the fact, the intelligence involved cannot be perceived physically, does not mean it does not require one.

But that means you cannot reject DNA as an example of naturally arising 'code', because it is based on your naked assumption that it was designed by this hypothetical and improbable being. Prima facie, since we see no process where the structure of DNA was clearly being influenced by an exterrnal intelligence, it is up to you to prove it was not due to a natural process. That is a very clear example of a logical fallacy.

You are presupposing DNA was designed, then using it as proof that there was a designer. That is f**king stupid or dishonest - you are a fool or a liar.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

DNA uses a symbolic code. The decoded portion of DNA contains 4 letters (ATCG) that make up three-letter words (codon). These codons are arranged linearly in a various sequence (syntax). Meaning Each three-letter word represents 1 of the 20 specific amino acids used in life. The sequence (syntax) of the DNA words designates the specific sequence of the amino acids in protein formation.

Yes, but that does not make it a consciously designed or symbolic code - the relationship between the various codons and the associated amino acid is physical affinity, not a symbolic one. There is more than one codon per amino acid. A couple of amino acids are coded for by one unique codon, the rest by from 2 to 6 alternative codons. This appears more like a naturally evolved relationship than a consciously designed one, altho of course it doesn't disprove conscious design, it just makes it unnecessary and not very compelling.

You earlier quoted :

Quote:

even Dawkins admits the DNA code is not simbolic, but indeed a code:

Make up your mind.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Therefore your arguments are rendered empty.

that is just wishful thinking. I am presenting FACTs. And as long as you are unable to present codified information, as contained in DNA, which does not require a mind, my evidence stands. NO atheist has so far been able to bring up a valid answer.
BobSpence1 wrote:
You are gratuitously introducing an 'intelligent designer' with no justification
http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/iidb.htm 1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism. 2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information. 3) Therefore DNA was designed by a mind. If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.
BobSpence1 wrote:
and then denying that DNA is an example of what you are demanding we show.

The cellular mechanisms serve no purpose apart from "construction, function, maintenance, and reproduction of the entire organism"

so then they serve a purpose. construction, function, maintenance, and reproduction of the entire organism IS a purpose.
BobSpence1 wrote:
This all points to the emergence of the structure of living organisms as a total system, the result of evolutionary emergence from ultimately simpler forms.
As said, the quest is how the first cell arose. Natural selection simply is not a working force here. http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t60-abiogenesis-a-reasonable-answer-to-explain-how-live-arise-on-earth After all, what selective advantage would be gained for non-thinking atoms and molecules to form a living thing? They really gain nothing from this process so why would a mindless non-directed Nature select to bring life into existence? Natural selection really isn't a valid force at this point in time since there really is no conceivable advantage for mindless molecules to interact as parts of a living thing verses parts of an amorphous rock or a collection of sludge. Even if a lot of fully formed proteins and strings of fully formed DNA molecules were to come together at the same time, what are the odds that all the hundreds and thousands of uniquely specified proteins needed to decode both the DNA and mRNA, (not to mention the needed ATP molecules and the host of other unlisted "parts&quotEye-wink, would all simultaneously fuse together in such a highly functional way? Not only has this phenomenon never been reproduced by any scientist in any laboratory on earth, but a reasonable mechanism by which such a phenomenon might even occur has never been proposed - outside of intelligent design that is.

But not a purpose independent of the structure of which they are a component, unlike human machines.

The question is how the first self-replicating entity arose, and there are much simpler such entities than a cell. Something like a virus is an example, altho all existing viruses use the mechanisms of existing cells, which is reasonable, now that there are vast numbers of them around. A virus is little more than a strand of DNA or RNA wrapped in a protective shell.

Selection/evolution is nothing to do with perceived advantage of the evolving entities, that is a really dumb assumption.

It merely requires the finite possibility of small mutations, and the existence somewhere in the accessible environment of conditions which favor the consequences of that mutation.

Here is some relevant information, from http://theory-of-evolution.net/chap10/RNA-self-replication-3.php

Quote:

RNA molecules capable of facilitating chemical reactions do exist. Because such RNA molecules perform a role traditionally carried out only by protein enzymes, they are called ribozymes. Ribozymes have been shown to facilitate the creation of both peptide bonds in proteins, and the bonds between phosphate and ribose in RNA. This discovery is very significant in that it means RNA can both store and implement knowledge. It also explains the popularity of RNA as the first living molecule.

Bartel carried out a very relevant experiment. In this experiment. 65 ribozymes were isolated from a pool of 1x1015 RNA molecules. All ribozymes isolated contained at least 200 bases. This result allows for a direct calculation of the knowledge in ribozymes. If 65 sequences have some minimal enzymatic activity out of a pool containing 1015 random sequences, then one in every 15 trillion sequences is a ribozyme. Thus the molecular knowledge is as follows: knowledge = 3.32 x log (15 trillion) or 44 bits. Note that knowledge and not information is used because the 65 ribozymes were not yet optimized. The experiment also subjected the ribozymes to several rounds of selection in which only the best were chosen. Selection dramatically improved their catalytic efficiency. Thus, Bartel’s experiment proves that both information and knowledge can evolve under the guidance of natural selection.

That page discusses the issues you are raising.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Because the MIND is a process of a physical entity, the BRAIN, now show me the evidence that the mind can exist without the brain, this is what you have AVOIDED, and you probably will continue to do. Show me that the immaterial can exist without the material. This is what you have yet to do, and you claim your debating skills are superior to atheists? Haha your funny.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is ridiculous.He asks

This is ridiculous.

He asks us to show evidence for our claims, then when we call him out on his, he falls back to "well you can't show X isn't possible".

IOW, he hasn't evidence for his core claims, but insists we show ours, or he wins by default?

WTF??

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:This is

BobSpence1 wrote:

This is ridiculous.

He asks us to show evidence for our claims, then when we call him out on his, he falls back to "well you can't show X isn't possible".

IOW, he hasn't evidence for his core claims, but insists we show ours, or he wins by default?

WTF??

Well Bob this was ridiculous to start with, he made a naked assertion with no evidence to back up his claim, and then simply avoided back up his claim when asked to do so, simply put he has none whatsoever. Then again its always fun to him do this. Its quite entertaining for me.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:First Law

angelobrazil wrote:
First Law of Information (LI1) Information cannot originate in statistical processes. (Chance plus time cannot create information no matter how many chances or how much time is available.) There is no known law of nature, no known process, and no known sequence of events which can cause information to originate by itself in matter.7 Second Law of Information (LI2) Information can only originate from an intelligent sender All codes result from an intentional choice and agreement between sender and recipient. We observe daily a continual input of new information from an intelligent source (human beings). At present, on earth, the only new information we have detected being created is from human beings. Careful examination of other systems will determine if there are any other intelligent sources of new UDI.

Well, obviously, if you define information as "only" originating "from an intelligent sender," then information cannot originate without an intelligence. That's a tautology; you're just repeating yourself. Along the same line, if you define information as having "Intended Purpose (apobetics)" or "Meaning (semantics)" then information cannot arise without an intelligence.

But then, I just don't agree that DNA is information. You'll have to justify that DNA "originates from an intelligent sender" or has an "intended purpose."

angelobrazil wrote:
If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

You've already defined your terms, including "information," "code," and "language," such that they only originate from a mind, so by definition, nothing that occurs as the result of stochastic natural processes could fit those labels. You are not even internally consistent. With the way you've presented your position, the best way to topple you would actually be just to assert that DNA is not "information," as DNA clearly doesn't fit your definition of information, and you are simply trying to beg the question with the term, "information." This forces you to again present evidence that DNA is created by an intelligence instead of just playing word games i.e. submit to the burden of proof that was yours to begin with.    

Essentially, all you're saying is that if we can't prove that a supernatural intelligence was not involved in the creation of DNA, which by the definition of supernatural, is impossible, then your assertion is correct. This is a very basic argument from ignorance. Premises cannot be assumed to be true until proven false; if that were the case, then you must believe any possibly true statement that I make until you have proven it false, not matter how ridiculous it is. One must hold a position of non-belief on any premise until it is shown to be true.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:This is

BobSpence1 wrote:

This is ridiculous.

WTF??

Ya, that's their 'logic'.

Their claim is "If it's made in China, it must necessarily have come from China"

If you cannot find a contradiction in their 'premise', and/or prove their subsequent equations and reasoning (based on their premise) to be illogical, then their claim wins by default. It can't be made ANYWHERE else but China, because their premise would have to be 'provably false', or 'self contradicting'.

That's what they label as sophisticated 'philosophical' reasoning.

Considering that, in 1st world countries, on average, about 85% of the population is between the 55-115 IQ range, it's not hard to understand why people can buy (hook, line, and sinker) these inane fuzzy logic, and circular arguments as being reliable methods of modeling reality, and predicting outcomes from naked assumptions, that trump 50/50 odds, in lieu of actual empirical evidence, hard data, scientific evaluation, cross examination, and meta analysis.

These apologists are laughing all the way to the proverbial 'holy land' with their mindless minions in tow.

There's a sucker born every minute. And they know it, and they want to get 'em while they're really ignorant (young children), and warp their minds, while they're still malleable.

Just like the Muslims. Just like the Jews. Just like other fascist regimes.

But.........then we 'evolved' from the Age of Enlightenment, into the new revolution that is the 'Information Age', where new, cutting edge information goes viral, instantly.

You can go through history, and list all the (completely inane) 'beliefs' the churches held as 'absolutes', and see that they're desperately hanging on to these convoluted forms of 'fuzzy logic', before science and space exploration finally dissolves the thin remaining 'polish' on their turd.

Fortunately, there's a human development know as 'fashion'.

Christianity is no longer as 'fashionable' as it was, in the Bronze Age.

And atheists, secularists, humanists, pantheists, scientists, are no longer being eliminated from the gene pool, by execution.

We're breeding, and breeding, and breeding, and dominating the modern industrial world.

Deal with it...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:Chance

angelobrazil wrote:

Chance plus time cannot create information no matter how many chances or how much time is available

Is 100% wrong.

Random events plus time is the ONLY source of genuinely new information. A mind operating in a reasoning mode can ONLY generate ideas which are derivative from what it already knows.

To break out of this bind, we need to simulate some sort of random process, like 'brainstorming", free association, even just staring at a chaotic process like the flames in a fire-place. Dreams are also a typical source of inspiration, as the qausi-random jumble of thoughts as the brain sorts out the experiences of the day.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't even understand how

I don't even understand how any person who has studied high school level chemistry, physics, and biology, could simply 'short circuit', and not be able to model complexity by natural causation.

I've been listening to a lot of theist debates, and reading their 'reasonings, on the topic of evolution, and natural selection.

I can now begin to see why theists have so much trouble understanding complexity from simplicity. They simply can't see the forest for the trees.

Even if I weren't in science and technologies for a living, I would still remember what I learned in high school, particularly chemistry, and molecular structures, and chains.

Thankfully, people like Dawkins have made it a mission to get out from the labs, and giving wonderful seminars to the younger generations of kids, and making awesome YouTube channels that show how random mutations evolved into very silly ways.

angelobrazil wrote:

Chance plus time cannot create information no matter how many chances or how much time is available

1- But that's not an objection to complexity, from simplicity.

2- I don't know why you are using the classification of 'information', for the restructuring of molecular chains, and chemical reactions, etc, ect...that occur through 'random' (sic) natural occurrences.

3- What do you consider creating 'information'? I've heard this 'categorization' before, that is incredibly misleading to the layman. I've heard the fallacy that 'new information' cannot happen simply by 'random' chance.

Which is a complete fallacy.

What, I think the miscomprehension is, is about 'deviation'.

If something 'deviates', it IS different; from the previous.

Any 'deviation' is 'new'. Based on 'new' orientations, patterns, and chains etc, etc.

"New', however, is not to be misinterpreted as 'New, and Improved'.

'New' simply denotes that it's 'unique'.

That leads me to the other complete logical fallacy, that's been droned on about, that is 'Survival of the Fittest'. The thinking that ONLY those mutations that are 'beneficial' and 'advantageous', become the 'new' model, is completely ignorant.

If there was a 'mutation' in the human species that was born with a 3rd eye, in the back of their head, it would be incredibly beneficial, and advantageous for the 'species' to evolve that way, but this 'mutated' individual could die well before it reached the age that it had the opportunity to reproduce, and create another human with a 3rd eye.

So, that 'mutation' would die off, before it would ever be able to become more widespread, and elevate that 'branch' of the species, higher up in the food chain, and perhaps 'naturally' break off from the 'previous' species, and only interbreed with members with this unique 'mutation'.

Who would then mutate again, at some point, and 'deviate' even further from the 2 eyed species, from generations ago.

Pretty simple concept to understand. I don't know why there are so many people, to whom this is impossible to grasp.

BobSpence1 wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

Is 100% wrong.

Random events plus time is the ONLY source of genuinely new information. A mind operating in a reasoning mode can ONLY generate ideas which are derivative from what it already knows.

To break out of this bind, we need to simulate some sort of random process, like 'brainstorming", free association, even just staring at a chaotic process like the flames in a fire-place. Dreams are also a typical source of inspiration, as the qausi-random jumble of thoughts as the brain sorts out the experiences of the day.

I guess in their *cough* minds, 'accidents' never happen.

Ohhhhhhhh fuck.....there's a whole 'nother debate....

'We are predestined' 

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But that means you

Quote:
But that means you cannot reject DNA as an example of naturally arising 'code', because it is based on your naked assumption that it was designed by this hypothetical and improbable being.

Well, it your assumption is, the DNA code arose naturally, you surely can give example of other coded information, that arose naturally. I know only men capable of creating one. That is a empirical fact.

Quote:
You are presupposing DNA was designed, then using it as proof that there was a designer. That is f**king stupid or dishonest - you are a fool or a liar.

as soon as you can prove me wrong , presenting a code, that arose naturally, ill accept your critic. Are you uncapable of a polite discussion ? Such a behavior just weakens your position.

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t287-information-evidence-for-a-creator

if every square foot of the earth's surface was covered with monkeys randomly typing on typewriters, at the rate of ten characters per second (about 5 times the realistic speed) they could not do the job. Even if they typed non-stop for 30 billion years there would not be the slightest chance that one of them would type even a single five word sentence of 31 characters, with spaces and punctuation in the correct place. The probability for them to achieve this is less than one chance in a trillion.

Quote:
Yes, but that does not make it a consciously designed or symbolic code - the relationship between the various codons and the associated amino acid is physical affinity, not a symbolic one. There is more than one codon per amino acid. A couple of amino acids are coded for by one unique codon, the rest by from 2 to 6 alternative codons. This appears more like a naturally evolved relationship than a consciously designed one, altho of course it doesn't disprove conscious design, it just makes it unnecessary and not very compelling.

It's like walking along the beach and you see in the sand, "Mike loves Michelle." You know the waves rolling up on the beach didn't form that--a person wrote that. It is a precise message. It is clear communication. In the same way, the DNA structure is a complex, three-billion-lettered script, informing and directing the cell's process.

Quote:
Make up your mind.

yep, i have . And you : educate yourself :

http://nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/dna/a/replication/dna.html

DNA contains a coded representation of all the proteins in the cell. Other molecules such as sugars and fats are synthesised by proteins (enzymes) so their structures are indirectly coded by DNA. DNA also contains all the information required to make the correct amount of protein at the correct time, thus controlling all biological processes from those of day to day life such as metabolic activity to those of embryogenesis and fetal development.

DNA contains a genetic language

Let's first consider some of the characteristics of this genetic 'language.' For it to be rightly called a language, it must contain the following elements: an alphabet or coding system, correct spelling, grammar (a proper arrangement of the words), meaning (semantics) and an intended purpose.

Scientists have found the genetic code has all of these key elements. "The coding regions of DNA," explains Dr. Stephen Meyer, "have exactly the same relevant properties as a computer code or language" (quoted by Strobel, p. 237, emphasis in original).

Quote:
Selection/evolution is nothing to do with perceived advantage of the evolving entities, that is a really dumb assumption.

first you must show that evolution were playing a determining role to produce the first rna/dna strand.

Practically all living cells of all creatures on this earth form all their proteins in this manner. Proteins are the functional units of the cell. They make the cell able to work. Most functions of the cell depend on proteins to perform them - to including the creation of proteins to begin with. In fact, as has been very briefly detailed, proteins make themselves by decoding the information contained in DNA that tells the builder proteins how to make themselves. Every single step requires energy in the form of a molecule called Adenosine Tri-phosphate (A.T.P.). Not just any energy form will do. The cell can only use ATP to perform useful functions. It is very picky. And, interestingly enough, ATP is also created with the help of very specific proteins.

In the very first cell (assuming that there was a first cell) what came first - the DNA or the protein? Of course, the protein that reads the DNA is itself coded for by the DNA. So, the protein could not be there first since its code or order is contained in the DNA that it decodes. Proteins would have to decode themselves before they could exist. So obviously, without the protein there first, the DNA would never be read and the protein would never be made. Likewise, the DNA could not have been there first since DNA is made and maintained by the proteins of the cell. Some popular theories about abiogenesis suggest that RNA probably evolved first and then DNA. But this doesn't remove the problem. RNA still has to be decoded by very specific proteins that are themselves coded for by the information contained in the RNA. Obviously both DNA and/or RNA and the fully formed decoding protein system would have to be present at the same time in order for the system as a whole to work. There simply is no stepwise function-based selection process since natural selection isn't even capable of working at this point in time.
Just like the chicken and the egg paradox, it seems like the function of the most simple living cell is dependent upon all its parts being there in the proper order simultaneously. Some have referred to such systems as "irreducibly complex" in that if any one part is removed, the higher "emergent" function of the collective system vanishes. This apparent irreducibility of the living cell is found in the fact that DNA makes the proteins that make the DNA. Without either one of them, the other cannot be made or maintained. Since these molecules are the very basics of all life, it seems rather difficult to imagine a more primitive life form to evolve from. No one has been able to adequately propose what such a life form would have looked like or how it would have functioned. Certainly no such life form or pre-life form has been discovered. Even viruses and the like are dependent upon the existence of pre-established living cells to carry out their replication. They simply do not replicate by themselves. How then could the first cell have evolved from the non-living soup of the "primitive" prebiotic oceans?

Quote:
It merely requires the finite possibility of small mutations, and the existence somewhere in the accessible environment of conditions which favor the consequences of that mutation.

it seems you have no clue whatsoever, what you are talking about. The website you posted, is actually against your position :

While this is still the most promising theory for life's origin, this theory seems to offer more problems than solutions. This is why the origin of life remains a mystery.

John Horgan, "In the Beginning," Scientific American, vol. 264, February 1991, p. 119 admits the impossibility of the chance formation of RNA;

As researchers continue to examine the RNA-World concept closely, more problems emerge. How did RNA initially arise? RNA and its components are difficult to synthesize in a laboratory under the best of conditions, much less under really plausible ones

Even evolutionist microbiologists Gerald Joyce and Leslie Orgel express the desperate nature of the situtation in their book In the RNA World:

This discussion… has, in a sense, focused on a straw man: the myth of a self-replicating RNA molecule that arose de novo from a soup of random polynucleotides. Not only is such a notion unrealistic in light of our current understanding of prebiotic chemistry, but it would strain the credulity of even an optimist's view of RNA's catalytic potential.

Nobel Prize winner Jacques Monod, who was one of the most fanatical defenders of evolution-and atheism-explained that protein synthesis can by no means be considered to depend merely on the information in the nucleic acids:

The code is meaningless unless translated. The modern cell's translating machinery consists of at least 50 macromolecular components, which are themselves coded in DNA: the code cannot be translated otherwise than by products of translation themselves. It is the modern expression of omne vivum ex ovo. When and how did this circle become closed? It is exceedingly difficult to imagine.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Because

latincanuck wrote:

Because the MIND is a process of a physical entity, the BRAIN, now show me the evidence that the mind can exist without the brain, this is what you have AVOIDED, and you probably will continue to do. Show me that the immaterial can exist without the material. This is what you have yet to do, and you claim your debating skills are superior to atheists? Haha your funny.

i don't need to show you that. The simple fact that random chance is not capable of creating coded information is enough to deduce DNA was designed by a mind. 

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

i don't need to show you that. The simple fact that random chance is not capable of creating coded information is enough to deduce DNA was designed by a mind. 

The simple fact is a process that moves away from random chance naturally. You confuse what evolution entails.  Natural selection is a process where a hardy or enduring molecule, entity, substance for a particular context ( environment )continues(theme). This is a natural form of instruction itself. The second aspect of evolution is variation.  So you have naturally context, theme, instruction and variation. Just as crystals reproduce their form through a proper context more complicated molecules do the same. The instruction is simply physical law. A variation in the molecule will produce a fork in the reproduction. These are stochastic processes ( study some Ilya  Prigogene). The variation and competition is communication or code. The further from entropy these processes move the more complex the systems become to remain far from entropy.  These dissipative structures exchange entropy within there systems by incorporating order from their context (environment [chemical solutions])

Now notice all these words context, instruction, theme, code they are all words we humans use to explain natural processes.  They are metaphor which is simply the basis of our language itself. Code is simply another word for representation of a function/meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissipative_system

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But then, I just don't

Quote:
But then, I just don't agree that DNA is information. You'll have to justify that DNA "originates from an intelligent sender" or has an "intended purpose."
Each cell with genetic information, from bacteria to man, according to molecular biologist Michael Denton, consists of "artificial languages and their decoding systems, memory banks for information storage and retrieval, elegant control systems regulating the automated assembly of parts and components, error fail-safe and proof-reading devices utilized for quality control, assembly processes involving the principle of prefabrication and modular construction . . . [and a] capacity not equalled in any of our most advanced machines, for it would be capable of replicating its entire structure within a matter of a few hours" (Denton, p. 329).
Quote:
You've already defined your terms, including "information," "code," and "language," such that they only originate from a mind, so by definition, nothing that occurs as the result of stochastic natural processes could fit those labels. You are not even internally consistent. With the way you've presented your position, the best way to topple you would actually be just to assert that DNA is not "information," as DNA clearly doesn't fit your definition of information, and you are simply trying to beg the question with the term, "information." This forces you to again present evidence that DNA is created by an intelligence instead of just playing word games i.e. submit to the burden of proof that was yours to begin with. Essentially, all you're saying is that if we can't prove that a supernatural intelligence was not involved in the creation of DNA, which by the definition of supernatural, is impossible, then your assertion is correct. This is a very basic argument from ignorance. Premises cannot be assumed to be true until proven false; if that were the case, then you must believe any possibly true statement that I make until you have proven it false, not matter how ridiculous it is. One must hold a position of non-belief on any premise until it is shown to be true.
http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/dnanotcode.htm Code is defined as communication between an encoder (a “writer” or “speaker&rdquoEye-wink and a decoder (a “reader” or “listener&rdquoEye-wink using agreed upon symbols. DNA's definition as a literal code (and not a figurative one) is nearly universal in the entire body of biological literature since the 1960's. DNA code has much in common with human language and computer languages DNA transcription is an encoding / decoding mechanism isomorphic with Claude Shannon's 1948 model: The sequence of base pairs is encoded into messenger RNA which is decoded into proteins. Information theory terms and ideas applied to DNA are not metaphorical, but in fact quite literal in every way. In other words, the information theory argument for design is not based on analogy at all. It is direct application of mathematics to DNA, which by definition is a code.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

Is 100% wrong.

Quote:
Is 100% wrong.

hahahaa.... what utmost dumb bollock. you made my day.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/is-there-really-a-god

Some scientists and educators have tried to get around the above problems by speculating that as long as all the chemicals that make up the molecule of heredity (and the information it contains) came together at some time in the past, then life could have begun.
Life is built upon information. In fact, in just one of the trillions of cells that make up the human body, the amount of information in its genes would fill at least 1,000 books of 500 pages of typewritten information. Scientists now think this is hugely underestimated.
Where did all this information come from? Some try to explain it this way: imagine a professor taking all the letters of the alphabet, A–Z, and placing them in a hat. He then passes the hat around to students of his class and asks each to randomly select a letter.
It is easy for us to see the possibility (no matter how remote it seems) of three students in a row selecting B then A and finally T. Put these three letters together and they spell a word—BAT. Thus, the professor concludes, given enough time, no matter how improbable it seems, there is always the possibility one could form a series of words that make a sentence, and eventually compile an encyclopedia. The students are then led to believe that no intelligence is necessary in the evolution of life from chemicals. As long as the molecules came together in the right order for such compounds as DNA, then life could have begun.
On the surface, this sounds like a logical argument. However, there is a basic, fatal flaw in this analogy. The sequence of letters, B-A-T, is a word to whom? Someone who speaks English, Dutch, French, German, or Chinese? It is a word only to someone who knows the language. In other words, the order of letters is meaningless unless there is a language system and a translation system already in place to make the order meaningful.
In the DNA of a cell, the order of its molecules is also meaningless, except that in the biochemistry of a cell, there is a language system (other molecules) that makes the order meaningful. DNA without the language system is meaningless, and the language system without the DNA wouldn’t work either. The other complication is that the language system that reads the order of the molecules in the DNA is itself specified by the DNA. This is another one of those “machines” that must already be in existence and fully formed, or life won’t work!

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

Is 100% wrong.

Quote:
Is 100% wrong. Random events plus time is the ONLY source of genuinely new information. A mind operating in a reasoning mode can ONLY generate ideas which are derivative from what it already knows. To break out of this bind, we need to simulate some sort of random process, like 'brainstorming", free association, even just staring at a chaotic process like the flames in a fire-place. Dreams are also a typical source of inspiration, as the qausi-random jumble of thoughts as the brain sorts out the experiences of the day.
hahahaa.... what utmost dumb bollock. you made my day. http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/is-there-really-a-god Some scientists and educators have tried to get around the above problems by speculating that as long as all the chemicals that make up the molecule of heredity (and the information it contains) came together at some time in the past, then life could have begun. Life is built upon information. In fact, in just one of the trillions of cells that make up the human body, the amount of information in its genes would fill at least 1,000 books of 500 pages of typewritten information. Scientists now think this is hugely underestimated. Where did all this information come from? Some try to explain it this way: imagine a professor taking all the letters of the alphabet, A–Z, and placing them in a hat. He then passes the hat around to students of his class and asks each to randomly select a letter. It is easy for us to see the possibility (no matter how remote it seems) of three students in a row selecting B then A and finally T. Put these three letters together and they spell a word—BAT. Thus, the professor concludes, given enough time, no matter how improbable it seems, there is always the possibility one could form a series of words that make a sentence, and eventually compile an encyclopedia. The students are then led to believe that no intelligence is necessary in the evolution of life from chemicals. As long as the molecules came together in the right order for such compounds as DNA, then life could have begun. On the surface, this sounds like a logical argument. However, there is a basic, fatal flaw in this analogy. The sequence of letters, B-A-T, is a word to whom? Someone who speaks English, Dutch, French, German, or Chinese? It is a word only to someone who knows the language. In other words, the order of letters is meaningless unless there is a language system and a translation system already in place to make the order meaningful. In the DNA of a cell, the order of its molecules is also meaningless, except that in the biochemistry of a cell, there is a language system (other molecules) that makes the order meaningful. DNA without the language system is meaningless, and the language system without the DNA wouldn’t work either. The other complication is that the language system that reads the order of the molecules in the DNA is itself specified by the DNA. This is another one of those “machines” that must already be in existence and fully formed, or life won’t work!

Hi Bob. We were coincidentally discussing Shannon's information theory and physics.  This is precisely the importance of looking at information as being an emergent property of causal interactions. The idea that the information is artificial is the same type assumption raised by those who thought there had to be a life principle because life was so complex. It is as if theism must consistently retreat and look for another explanatory gap. Evolution can best be seen not as random chance but as possible outcomes in a system( context).  There are probabilities that are determined by boundary conditions of the chemical interactions.   I refer our theist friend to Ilya Prigogene's work.

Prigogine is best known for his definition of dissipative structures and their role in thermodynamic systems far from equilibrium, a discovery that won him the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1977.

[edit] Dissipative structures theory

Dissipative structure theory led to pioneering research in self-organizing systems, as well as philosophical inquiries into the formation of complexity on biological entities and the quest for a creative and irreversible role of time in the natural sciences.

His work is seen by many as a bridge between natural sciences and social sciences. With professor Robert Herman, he also developed the basis of the two fluid model, a traffic model in traffic engineering for urban networks, in parallel to the two fluid model in Classical Statistical Mechanics.

Prigogine's formal concept of self-organization was used also as a "complementary bridge" between General Systems Theory and Thermodynamics, conciliating the cloudiness of some important systems theory concepts with scientific rigour.

[edit] Other work

In his later years, his work concentrated on the mathematical role of determinism in nonlinear systems on both the classical and quantum level. He proposed the use of a rigged Hilbert space in quantum mechanics as one possible method of achieving irreversibility in quantum systems. He also co-authored several books with Isabelle Stengers, including End of Certainty and the well-known La Nouvelle Alliance (The New Alliance).

[edit] The End of Certainty

In his 1997 book, The End of Certainty, Prigogine contends that determinism is no longer a viable scientific belief. "The more we know about our universe, the more difficult it becomes to believe in determinism." This is a major departure from the approach of Newton, Einstein and Schrödinger, all of whom expressed their theories in terms of deterministic equations. According to Prigogine, determinism loses its explanatory power in the face of irreversibility and instability.

Prigogine traces the dispute over determinism back to Darwin, whose attempt to explain individual variability according to evolving populations inspired Ludwig Boltzmann to explain the behavior of gases in terms of populations of particles rather than individual particles. This led to the field of statistical mechanics and the realization that gases undergo irreversible processes. In deterministic physics, all processes are time-reversible, meaning that they can proceed backward as well as forward through time. As Prigogine explains, determinism is fundamentally a denial of the arrow of time. With no arrow of time, there is no longer a privileged moment known as the "present," which follows a determined "past" and precedes an undetermined "future." All of time is simply given, with the future as determined or undetermined as the past. With irreversibility, the arrow of time is reintroduced to physics. Prigogine notes numerous examples of irreversibility, including diffusion, radioactive decay, solar radiation, weather and the emergence and evolution of life. Like weather systems, organisms are unstable systems existing far from thermodynamic equilibrium. Instability resists standard deterministic explanation. Instead, due to sensitivity to initial conditions, unstable systems can only be explained statistically, that is, in terms of probability.

Prigogine asserts that Newtonian physics has now been "extended" three times, first with the use of the wave function in quantum mechanics, then with the introduction of spacetime in general relativity and finally with the recognition of indeterminism in the study of unstable systems.

Order does come from chaos.  The idea of code is metaphorical or specialized:

The “information metaphor falshood” IMF  is a useful falsehood when used properly, but is overly simplistic. DNA is like instructions in that cells follow predictable patterns due to the pivotal role this molecule plays in the assembly and production of RNAs and proteins. Beyond this, however, IMF breaks down. The sequence of the DNA molecule does not contain instructions, but rather is a physical structure which responds to interactions with other molecules because of this structure, not because of the sequence. While the sequence partially provides this structure in DNA, this structure is influenced by many factors. For example, histones around which the DNA is coiled play an integral part in what segments are expressed. Sequences of DNA are only partially responsible for the structure of these histones and they are regulated by other external and internal factors aside from other segments of DNA. The IMF is a simplified version of what is actually occurring within the cell and this simplification ignores the three-dimensional and interactive aspects of the molecules within the nucleus. Additionally, IMF assumes that the sequence is the important aspect of DNA ignoring that many sequence changes in DNA do very little to the organism. DNA can be better described for what it is, a molecule which provides the templates for the synthesis of various RNAs under specific conditions. It is not a causative agent or “set of directions” but an interacting part of the cell (albeit an important one) subject to external and internal factors.A cookbook written only in English would not be directional or instructional to a person unfamiliar with the language. Just because we are capable of explaining many aspects of DNA as being “instructional” or “coded” does not mean it is actually a code or an IKEA booklet to assemble a chair. Codes and instructions describe, to a conscious and understanding observer, they are not the mold to make the parts and all necessary tools. I’ve often heard that “DNA is analogous to machine code” because both contain sequences which explain precisely how to do a certain task. As I have previously stated, however, DNA does not describe or instruct the cell on what to do, it is the reactive template which responds under certain conditions. Also, while instructions convey meaning and intentionality, DNA provides neither.

The information metaphor implies that the important aspect of DNA is only the sequence or “content” while ignoring three-dimensional conformations and external influences. Parts of the DNA molecule which have useless sequences, but the lengths are important (separating promoters) as well as regions providing specific binding to histones which allows interaction at other specific points along the molecule are also important.

Finally, “information” implies directionality or intentionality while DNA is not a causative agent nor was it placed, put, or designed by any agent. Instead, it is hereditary material which has been shaped by countless generations with mutation and evolution influencing it. DNA is not a pattern which “represents” or “conveys” anything. It is a template which functions as hereditary material enabling and regulating RNA synthesis.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reference you gave to

The reference you gave to the difficulty of understanding how RNA could arise naturally, from 1991, has been superseded by more recent research:

See this link:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides/

So that's one whole series of objections dealt with.

It also significantly increases the plausibility that DNA could subsequently arise, since it is an extension/variation of the same basic mechanism.

If this self-replicating mechanism, RNA/DNA, was the most compatible with general conditions on Earth at that era, then we would be unlikely to see now any alternatives, since it would quickly be expected to dominate. Nevertheless, there is a possibility that alternative systems have formed and still survive somewhere, and there are active investigations into this.

The recent somewhat over-hyped announcement from NASA scientists that they had discovered bacteria living in sulfurous that seed to have DNA with an alternative amino acid was hoped to be an example, but that seems to have faded somewhat.

Nevertheless, the search goes on, but it since it requires currently some fancy tests to determine if an organism has a different genetic chemistry, it ain't necessarily gonna be easy to find one, which could easily be mixed in among the vast population of 'regular' bacteria and other simple life-forms.

So the fact that we currently have not found such an alternative is not entirely surprising, but the fact that we now know that a self-replicating molecule can indeed form spontaneously without extraordinarily special conditions and some external help defeats a major part of your claim.

You are the one making the naked assertion that such a code could not arise without external conscious intervention, which has thus been made more shrill by this discovery.

There is a very important lesson to this: no matter how much time is spent theoretically investigating an idea, especially on involving the incredibly diverse and complex world of biochemistry and natural chemical processes in general, reality can still surprise us, and overturn what seemed an done deal, such as the idea that natural RNA synthesis was simply far too unlikely to have just happened.

Another point: there actually at least 23 variations on which nucleotide triplet is normally used to encode for which amino acid, across different groups of species, including the variation between DNA and RNA. So there is not just one specified code, even within the life-forms using the same basic mechanism.

And once you have self-replicating entities of any sort, evolution can 'work'. Basic RNA replication does not require a vast matching collection of proteins and enzymes to work at a level adequate to allow evolution to occur, and that then allows the step-by-step emergence of progressively more efficient systems of higher complexity.

========

Seeing an english sentence spelled out by random wave action is not remotely a comparable situation to the emergence of DNA/RNA coding.

For a start, you still do not appear to grasp the fundamental difference between human language structures and the 'coding' in RNA/DNA, namely the direct chemical affinity between the codons and the amino acids that they 'code' for.

Once RNA emerged, initially with a random sequence, some amino acids were inevitably going to be attracted to parts of the strands. There are only 24 possible codons composed of 3 letters out of an alphabet of 4, and all but a few show an adequately strong affinity for one amino acid over others. So any random sequence of nucleotides is highly likely to code for one or two proteins. Those which produced proteins which enhanced the replication process would tend to dominate, logically.

The crudely 'equivalent' process in your scenario is a person watching some pebbles on a beach being repeatedly re-arranged by the waves, and whenever they see something that looks like a one or more letters of the alphabet in the right place in the line of stones to make part of a recognizable word, cementing those stones in place and waiting for other letters to form in appropriate places, and 'locking' those in, and so on, until the sequence is complete.

Mutation only changes a very small number of letters at each generation, and the non-viable variations are rejected (don't survive). and the occasional good one is replicated down the generations, until a better one arises.

This is all that is needed for life to arise and continue to evolve. No pre-ordained syntax or grammar required. All but a few possible codons naturally 'code' for one amino acid. Others allow more than one of similar affinity, and one or two don't attract any useful ones, so can function as a natural break to mark the ends of the protein string, allowing arbitrarily long sequences to code for many separate proteins.

It is ironic that that link I provided was to a creationist site, which of course had a whole bunch of quotes against my position, but nevertheless had one which specifically supported the idea that design was not required in at least one important process. So you certainly can't accuse me of selecting only stuff from pro-evolution sites.

The actual translation from DNA sequence to protein sequence is inherent in the specific affinity between codons and amino acids. The rest of the cellular machinery is to regulate which proteins are formed when, and how many are formed, and the deployment of them etc. They are the products of evolution as progressively more efficient mechanisms evolved.

========

You have not refuted my claim about how novel information arises - you just danced around the issue.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil

angelobrazil wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Actually you do need to show that, since you are making up a ridiculous claim, you need to back up you claim, something that someone with GREAT DEBATING skills that you claim to have should be able to do easily. But like always, theists don't rely on evidence, just make up claims without any evidence and ignore all evidence to the contrary of their claims, much like you are doing now regarding DNA/RNA and information and how it naturally arises. Simple fact that it has arise naturally and that DNA/RNA and there is more evidence for this method than your immaterial mind (which at this point is ZERO evidence) then why should we believe you? Simply because you say so? Sorry we are not that stupid to believe someone merely because they say so. That's all your doing, and everyone is really out debating you in this subject. 

The fact that you avoid answering this simple question shows me your lacking ability to understand the problems with your claims and your ability to debate. Don't make claims you cannot back up.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Random chance can definitely

Random chance can, by definition, 'create' literally any sequence of DNA/RNA with close to equal probability, and any random sequence will code for one or more proteins. Throw in natural selection, ie copy more of the ones which code for proteins that make copying easier, and away you go. Nothing impossible there. There is no known mechanism that could prevent a particular sequence from forming from random processes, whether it is a useful sequence or not.

The most you could do is claim it is of low probability that chance will create useful sequences, but with natural selection, as long as it isn't zero, which it cannot be, then evolution can happen. There are often many different proteins which will have similar functionality, altho any given species normally settles on one. So don't base your probability estimates on assuming that only one specific sequence is acceptable.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:Don't

angelobrazil wrote:

Don't call me idiot, i very well understand what i am talking about.

No, sorry, you aren't very bright, nor well educated, nor have much exprience with science, or chemistry, or physics, and biology.

You are the definition of ignorant.

And you are out of your league.

angelobrazil wrote:
Quote:
See: 1- Snowflake 2- Fullerene 3- Carbon Nanotube 4- Fractal Open a science book next time, before your pubescent hormone spikes cause you to openly demonstrate your stupidity, again. Your Nobel Prize awaits you, to demonstrate your idea that a 'mind' is responsible for these mechanics. Good luck...

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/ifyoucanreadthis2.htm The Key Issue: Patterns vs. Designs The starting point of this entire discussion is to define the difference between a pattern and a design. A pattern could be a tornado or hurricane, but a tornado or hurricane is not design. Nature does have self-organizing properties. Not all patterns are designed, but all designs have patterns.

You don't debate atheists, because they're not smart enough to debate, huh?

Then you must debate ignorant people, because you're not very bright.

You asked for 'self organizing' properties, that occur in nature, and I gave you a few.

Now, you dumb fucks like to play with double edged swords. So, here's where you fall on yours, you idiot.

If you can show me how those complex structures did NOT occur naturally, then you do not even have the beginnings of an intelligent counter theory. Just an ignorant delusion.

Here's examples of how what kind of complexity and design that can arise completely naturally out of complete chaos, with simply physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkox6niJ1Wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUz1ZI-w6LQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw4qklgNIxI&feature=related

angelobrazil wrote:
you may present a serious case for your atheism, when you can point out to codified information, as ( you admitted ) is contained literally in DNA, that has not a intelligent mind as origin.

Ummm, don't need to work very hard against such a bankrupt claim, that's built on ignorance and being obtuse.

The 'nature' of physics, chemistry, biology and random natural selection demonstrates very clearly how complexity occurs from simplicity.

Now, if you could present a serious case for your theism, your cult might not get so ridiculed by scientists. Jesus dying on the cross, is not a 'serious' case, of anything but demonstrating how gullible and delusional you are.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:  

angelobrazil wrote:
   http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t287-information-evidence-for-a-creator if every square foot of the earth's surface was covered with monkeys randomly typing on typewriters, at the rate of ten characters per second (about 5 times the realistic speed) they could not do the job. Even if they typed non-stop for 30 billion years there would not be the slightest chance that one of them would type even a single five word sentence of 31 characters, with spaces and punctuation in the correct place. The probability for them to achieve this is less than one chance in a trillion.

Oh, sh1t, not that hackneyed 'infinite number of monkeys, on an infinite number of typewriters', BS again...

Here's what you intellectually challenged morons can't seem to get over:

The odds of this universe evolving as it has, from a singularity, are exactly 1 in 1.

The simplest illustration of this is what's called 'The Butterfly Effect'.

You cannot defeat this rebuttal, because it's REALITY.

Do you have any idea how long the 'code' that maps this 1 in 1 evolution of the singularity to present, would be???

It would break the internet.

Another simple example is, anyone of us here, are a perfect example of 1 in 1 odds, among millions of sperm.

angelobrazil wrote:
  It's like walking along the beach and you see in the sand, "Mike loves Michelle." You know the waves rolling up on the beach didn't form that--a person wrote that.

Not that stupid sh1t again.

This is why you idiots see Jeebus on toast.

If you were to walk on a farm and see some marks in the sand that looked like chicken scratch, you wouldn't even think it was more than just chicken scratch, when it could actually be words written in Chinese.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelo needs to read

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:angelobrazil

redneF wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:

Don't call me idiot, i very well understand what i am talking about.

No, sorry, you aren't very bright, nor well educated, nor have much exprience with science, or chemistry, or physics, and biology.

You are the definition of ignorant.

And you are out of your league.

angelobrazil wrote:
Quote:

http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/ifyoucanreadthis2.htm The Key Issue: Patterns vs. Designs The starting point of this entire discussion is to define the difference between a pattern and a design. A pattern could be a tornado or hurricane, but a tornado or hurricane is not design. Nature does have self-organizing properties. Not all patterns are designed, but all designs have patterns.

You don't debate atheists, because they're not smart enough to debate, huh?

Then you must debate ignorant people, because you're not very bright.

You asked for 'self organizing' properties, that occur in nature, and I gave you a few.

Now, you dumb fucks like to play with double edged swords. So, here's where you fall on yours, you idiot.

If you can show me how those complex structures did NOT occur naturally, then you do not even have the beginnings of an intelligent counter theory. Just an ignorant delusion.

Here's examples of how what kind of complexity and design that can arise completely naturally out of complete chaos, with simply physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkox6niJ1Wc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUz1ZI-w6LQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw4qklgNIxI&feature=related

angelobrazil wrote:

Ummm, don't need to work very hard against such a bankrupt claim, that's built on ignorance and being obtuse.

The 'nature' of physics, chemistry, biology and random natural selection demonstrates very clearly how complexity occurs from simplicity.

Now, if you could present a serious case for your theism, your cult might not get so ridiculed by scientists. Jesus dying on the cross, is not a 'serious' case, of anything but demonstrating how gullible and delusional you are.

Well said Red.  Ilya Prigogene won a Nobel prize in 1977 for showing how order comes out of chaos.  When I was in Seminary one of their "great" theologians there, Jurgen Moltmann  was using Prigogene as a text book for his classes.  So even theists ought to be aware of organizing principles.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:Each cell

angelobrazil wrote:
Each cell with genetic information, from bacteria to man, according to molecular biologist Michael Denton, consists of "artificial languages and their decoding systems, memory banks for information storage and retrieval, elegant control systems regulating the automated assembly of parts and components, error fail-safe and proof-reading devices utilized for quality control, assembly processes involving the principle of prefabrication and modular construction . . . [and a capacity not equalled in any of our most advanced machines, for it would be capable of replicating its entire structure within a matter of a few hours" (Denton, p. 320).

How does this help me? I asked you to justify that DNA fits your definition of "information," i.e. was created by an intelligence.

angelobrazil wrote:
Code is defined as communication between an encoder (a “writer” or “speaker&rdquoEye-wink and a decoder (a “reader” or “listener&rdquoEye-wink using agreed upon symbols. DNA's definition as a literal code (and not a figurative one) is nearly universal in the entire body of biological literature since the 1960's. DNA code has much in common with human language and computer languages DNA transcription is an encoding / decoding mechanism isomorphic with Claude Shannon's 1948 model: The sequence of base pairs is encoded into messenger RNA which is decoded into proteins. Information theory terms and ideas applied to DNA are not metaphorical, but in fact quite literal in every way.

Hello? Am I talking to a wall? You didn't address my responses at all. Address my responses instead of just pasting irrelevant text from random websites or just admit that you don't know something. If there is something you don't understand about what I wrote, then ask for clarification. It's okay to admit that you don't know shit about anything. I admit I don't know something all the time. 

You defined "information" as originating from an intelligence. Ergo, I don't agree that DNA fits your definition of "information." Now, what is your evidence that DNA originated from an intelligence? If you want me to agree that DNA is "information" simply because that people usually label it as such, then you're committing a fallacy of equivocation + appeal to popularity and authority. When geneticists say that DNA is "information," they do not beg the question and presuppose that it was created by an intelligence.

angelobrazil wrote:
In other words, the information theory argument for design is not based on analogy at all. It is direct application of mathematics to DNA, which by definition is a code.

It is nothing but an analogy. "Human stuff was made by humans. Some natural thing seem cool; ergo, I'm going to anthropomorphize and assume that they were also made by a mind like ours." That's all it is.

In case you're about to post some typical strawman statistical argument, let me just mention in advance that evolution is not a random process. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
From my dictionary app (New

From my dictionary app (New Oxford American Dictionary):

Information:

2 what is conveyed or represented by a particular arrangement or sequence of things : genetically transmitted information.
• Computing data as processed, stored, or transmitted by a computer.
• (in information theory) a mathematical quantity expressing the probability of occurrence of a particular sequence of symbols, impulses, etc., as contrasted with that of alternative sequences.

Note : No reference to being generated by an intelligence.

Angelo's claims are just wrong at every possible level.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:From my

BobSpence1 wrote:

Information:

2 what is conveyed or represented by a particular arrangement or sequence of things : genetically transmitted information.
• (in information theory) a mathematical quantity expressing the probability of occurrence of a particular sequence of symbols, impulses, etc., as contrasted with that of alternative sequences.

Angelo's claims are just wrong at every possible level.

100% correct.

It's a logical fallacy to 'categorize' patterns as 'intelligence', or 'information', because humans translate them using symbols, in order to map them out.

Every single 'snapshot' of the entire universe is a 'unique' pattern. If there was no 'deviation' from a single 'slice' of space/time, there wouldn't be anything.

In this context, the entire universe is 'alive', and mutating, within the confines of the laws of physics and the forces acting upon all particles.

That is already much too vast of a concept for theists to grapple with, otherwise they'd be deists, or pantheists. And there's NO debating that.

Being a theist, is a confession that they cannot 'fathom' past a certain point, intellectually.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:From my

BobSpence1 wrote:

Information:

Rather than being generated by an intelligence. I think it is the other way round. Information generates intelligence. 

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: Rather than

TGBaker wrote:

Rather than being generated by an intelligence. I think it is the other way round. Information generates intelligence. 

Precisely.

No better example of that is the 'wheel'.

It did not require a 'designer'. It happened 'naturally'. Accidentally(sic).

Why can't these theists connect the dots?

We need to rename them arealists.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The

BobSpence1 wrote:

The reference you gave to the difficulty of understanding how RNA could arise naturally, from 1991, has been superseded by more recent research:

See this link:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides

the probles are far than resolved with these experiments.

http://www.arn.org/blogs/index.php/literature/2009/05/19/ribonucleotides_and_the_revival_of_the_w

The researchers have synthesised both pyrimidine ribonucleotides (but not the purine ribonucleotides). As Van Noorden described it, they have "shown that it is possible to build one part of RNA from small molecules". They have not formed RNA molecules; they have not addressed the chirality problem, they have not generated any biological information and they have not made RNA do anything of biological significance, let alone become clothed with a membrane and undergo replication. Nevertheless, what they have done can be applauded as an elegant example of systems chemistry. A specific bond was needed between the Ribose and the Nucleobase, and a decade of research proved that the bond was not going to form directly. So what the researchers did was to create the bond and then turn the components on each side of the bond into the desired building blocks of the Ribonucleotide.

Of the other limitations mentioned above, the chirality problem is noted in Wade's report:
"A serious puzzle about the nature of life is that most of its molecules are right-handed or left-handed, whereas in nature mixtures of both forms exist. Dr. Joyce [an expert on the chemical origin of life at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, Calif.] said he had hoped an explanation for the one-handedness of biological molecules would emerge from prebiotic chemistry, but Dr. Sutherland's reactions do not supply any such explanation."

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Random

BobSpence1 wrote:

Random chance can, by definition, 'create' literally any sequence of DNA/RNA with close to equal probability, and any random sequence will code for one or more proteins. Throw in natural selection, ie copy more of the ones which code for proteins that make copying easier, and away you go. Nothing impossible there. There is no known mechanism that could prevent a particular sequence from forming from random processes, whether it is a useful sequence or not.

The most you could do is claim it is of low probability that chance will create useful sequences, but with natural selection, as long as it isn't zero, which it cannot be, then evolution can happen. There are often many different proteins which will have similar functionality, altho any given species normally settles on one. So don't base your probability estimates on assuming that only one specific sequence is acceptable.

you insist in a flawed argument, which has been adressed already.

but i'll post my answer again, just in other words :

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t60-abiogenesis-a-reasonable-answer-to-explain-how-live-arise-on-earth

Another huge problem is that information is useless unless it can be read. But the decoding machinery is itself encoded on the DNA. The leading philosopher of science, Karl Popper (1902–1994), expressed the huge problem:
‘What makes the origin of life and of the genetic code a disturbing riddle is this: the genetic code is without any biological function unless it is translated; that is, unless it leads to the synthesis of the proteins whose structure is laid down by the code. But … the machinery by which the cell (at least the non-primitive cell, which is the only one we know) translates the code consists of at least fifty macromolecular components which are themselves coded in the DNA. Thus the code can not be translated except by using certain products of its translation. This constitutes a baffling circle; a really vicious circle, it seems, for any attempt to form a model or theory of the genesis of the genetic code.
‘Thus we may be faced with the possibility that the origin of life (like the origin of physics) becomes an impenetrable barrier to science, and a residue to all attempts to reduce biology to chemistry and physics.’64
That is, the genetic information and the required reading machinery form an irreducibly complex system. So far, it has eluded materialistic explanations.65

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:BobSpence1

TGBaker wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Information:

your reasoning is just plain wrong.

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t287-information-evidence-for-a-creator

It has been calculated that it would be statistically impossible to randomly type even the first 100 characters in Shakespeare's "Hamlet". If the monkeys typed only in lower case, including the 27 spaces in the first 100 characters, the chances are 27100 (ie. one chance in 10143).

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t283-einstein-s-gulf-can-evolution-cross-it?highlight=einsteins+gulf

Albert Einstein,undoubtedly one of the greatest scientists of all time, described the "gulf' that logically separates the concrete world of hard objects on the one hand from the abstract world of ideas on the other. He wrote: We have the habit of combining certain concepts and conceptual relations (propositions) so definitely with certain sense experiences that we do not become conscious of the gulf-logically unbridgeable which separates the world of sensory experiences from the world of concepts and propositions

On the one side, we find the real world of objects, events, and tensional spacetime relations. On the other side, we find fully abstract representations that contain information about the material world. That articulate information is abstracted first by our senses, secondarily by our bodily actions, and tertiarily by our ability to use one or more particular languages . Between the two realms we find what appears to be an uncrossable gulf.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:

angelobrazil wrote:
‘Thus we may be faced with the possibility that the origin of life (like the origin of physics) becomes an impenetrable barrier to science, and a residue to all attempts to reduce biology to chemistry and physics.’64 That is, the genetic information and the required reading machinery form an irreducibly complex system. So far, it has eluded materialistic explanations.65

That's not a problem, as science has only been limited, due to the very limited capacity, and computational power of the human mind, for generations.

But, that's changing as we speak, with Moore's Law, being what it is, and with Artificial Intelligence progressing as rapidly as it is. Those kinds of things are beyond the experience and knowledge of approx. 99.9% of the population.

Coupled with the Large Hadron Collider, and organizations like CERN, your dusty books don't stand a snowballs chance in hell, of not becoming extinct.

You ignorant bible thumpers ain't capable of doing anything to stop that progess, that type of 'evolution' of the human species, and it's 'creations', that stripped you, of your domination and rule.

You can posture and thump all you want here, about how 'man' will 'never know this, never know that', it doesn't change the fact that we 'by hook, or by crook', be able to model what is 'realistic', and what is 'not', and then 'test it'.

Man's own 'creations' and 'designs', will prove that there is no Christian god.

Ooooo.....that's so deliciously ironic...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote: your

angelobrazil wrote:
your reasoning is just plain wrong. http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t287-information-evidence-for-a-creator It has been calculated that it would be statistically impossible to randomly type even the first 100 characters in Shakespeare's "Hamlet". If the monkeys typed only in lower case, including the 27 spaces in the first 100 characters, the chances are 27100 (ie. one chance in 10143)...

I've already debunked that.

Shakespeare's Hamlet exists. It's odds of happening 'randomly' (sic) were 1 in 1.

Or are you going to hypothesize that the 'designer' of Hamlet, was being 'guided' into putting that sequence of 'information' into the code of Hamlet?

That would be the designer, guiding the designer/writer of Hamlet.

But that begs the question, who guided the designer, who guided the designer, who guided the designer, who guided the designer?......ad infinitum

Congratulations, you have just demonstrated a perfect causal loop, the very thing the OA says is impossible.

Therefore, a god is not necessary.

ANY single natural occurence, that has happened, could only have occured that way.

1 in 1 odds.

angelobrazil
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:angelobrazil

Quote:
angelobrazil wrote:
Each cell with genetic information, from bacteria to man, according to molecular biologist Michael Denton, consists of "artificial languages and their decoding systems, memory banks for information storage and retrieval, elegant control systems regulating the automated assembly of parts and components, error fail-safe and proof-reading devices utilized for quality control, assembly processes involving the principle of prefabrication and modular construction . . . [and a capacity not equalled in any of our most advanced machines, for it would be capable of replicating its entire structure within a matter of a few hours" (Denton, p. 320).

How does this help me? I asked you to justify that DNA fits your definition of "information," i.e. was created by an intelligence.

nope. you asked : You'll have to justify that DNA "originates from an intelligent sender" or has an "intended purpose."

that is DNA's purpose , as already answered above :

decoding systems, memory banks for information storage and retrieval, elegant control systems regulating the automated assembly of parts and components, error fail-safe and proof-reading devices utilized for quality control, assembly processes involving the principle of prefabrication and modular construction . . . [and a capacity not equalled in any of our most advanced machines, for it would be capable of replicating its entire structure within a matter of a few hours"

Quote:
angelobrazil wrote:
Code is defined as communication between an encoder (a “writer” or “speaker&rdquo and a decoder (a “reader” or “listener&rdquo using agreed upon symbols. DNA's definition as a literal code (and not a figurative one) is nearly universal in the entire body of biological literature since the 1960's. DNA code has much in common with human language and computer languages DNA transcription is an encoding / decoding mechanism isomorphic with Claude Shannon's 1948 model: The sequence of base pairs is encoded into messenger RNA which is decoded into proteins. Information theory terms and ideas applied to DNA are not metaphorical, but in fact quite literal in every way.
Hello? Am I talking to a wall? You didn't address my responses at all. Address my responses instead of just pasting irrelevant text from random websites or just admit that you don't know something. If there is something you don't understand about what I wrote, then ask for clarification. It's okay to admit that you don't know shit about anything. I admit I don't know something all the time.

in my view, i have been clear enough. And so have been my answers. What exactly have i not adressed in regard of your questions ?

Quote:
You defined "information" as originating from an intelligence. Ergo, I don't agree that DNA fits your definition of "information." Now, what is your evidence that DNA originated from an intelligence? If you want me to agree that DNA is "information" simply because that people usually label it as such, then you're committing a fallacy of equivocation + appeal to popularity and authority. When geneticists say that DNA is "information," they do not beg the question and presuppose that it was created by an intelligence.

people are not labeling DNA as information , just because they wish so, but because IT IS coded information.

Life is built upon information. In fact, in just one of the trillions of cells that make up the human body, the amount of information in its genes would fill at least 1,000 books of 500 pages of typewritten information. Scientists now think this is hugely underestimated.

Richard Dawkins at his book The Blind Watchmaker:

"Every single one of more than a trillion cells in the body contains about a thousand times as much precisely-coded digital information as my entire computer.

http://nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/dna/a/replication/dna.html

DNA contains a coded representation of all the proteins in the cell. Other molecules such as sugars and fats are synthesised by proteins (enzymes) so their structures are indirectly coded by DNA. DNA also contains all the information required to make the correct amount of protein at the correct time, thus controlling all biological processes from those of day to day life such as metabolic activity to those of embryogenesis and fetal development. The human genome contains 3x109 base pairs of DNA divided into 23 chromosomes which if linked together would form a thread of 1 meter with a diameter of 2 nm. This DNA codes for about 105 different proteins. In fact only about 2-4 % of the total coding capacity in the human DNA is used for coding of different genes, the rest of it probably has other more structural and organizational functions.

what exactly do you not understand about this ?

Quote:
angelobrazil wrote:
In other words, the information theory argument for design is not based on analogy at all. It is direct application of mathematics to DNA, which by definition is a code.
It is nothing but an analogy. "Human stuff was made by humans. Some natural thing seem cool; ergo, I'm going to anthropomorphize and assume that they were also made by a mind like ours." That's all it is.

In case you're about to post some typical strawman statistical argument, let me just mention in advance that evolution is not a random process.

why are you talking about evolution ?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
angelobrazil wrote:nope.

angelobrazil wrote:
nope.

Nope what?

angelobrazil wrote:
you asked : You'll have to justify that DNA "originates from an intelligent sender" or has an "intended purpose."

Yeah, I know. That's what I just said, again, "I asked you to justify that DNA fits your definition of "information," i.e. was created by an intelligence."

angelobrazil wrote:
that is DNA's purpose , as already answered above :

I know what you are asserting is DNA's purpose. I am asking you to provide evidence for your claim. Just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true. Do you understand?

angelobrazil wrote:
decoding systems, memory banks for information storage and retrieval, elegant control systems regulating the automated assembly of parts and components, error fail-safe and proof-reading devices utilized for quality control, assembly processes involving the principle of prefabrication and modular construction . . . [and a capacity not equalled in any of our most advanced machines, for it would be capable of replicating its entire structure within a matter of a few hours"

Que?

How does this address what I said, at all?

angelobrazil wrote:
in my view, i have been clear enough. And so have been my answers. What exactly have i not adressed in regard of your questions ?

Please actually read and respond to what I have written. I am not going to repeat myself.

angelobrazil wrote:
people are not labeling DNA as information , just because they wish so,

Of course not. The term fits if it accurately describes reality. Your term is not justified to fit.

angelobrazil wrote:
but because IT IS coded information.

Asserting it doesn't make it true!

You're not listening to what I'm saying at all. "Information" is a word. DNA is coded information if it fits the definition of coded information; it is the meaning of the word that is important, not the arbitrary sequence of letters. You've already smuggled question begging into your argument by defining "information" such that...:

angelobrazil wrote:
First Law of Information.....Information can only originate from an intelligent sender

...so clearly, I do not agree that DNA fits your definition of "information." You're just trying to disingenuously commit a very simple and obvious semantic fallacy.

angelobrazil wrote:
"Every single one of more than a trillion cells in the body contains about a thousand times as much precisely-coded digital information as my entire computer.

Dawkins does not define "information" as originating from an intelligence. You're just equivocating. Words can have more than one meaning, do you understand? Yes or no? Do you understand that you defined "information" as originating from an intelligence? Yes or no?

angelobrazil wrote:
why are you talking about evolution ?

I am just pointing out the fact that it's not a random process, so that effectively refutes essentially all of the ignorant analogies and metaphors you've made in the last two pages as well as the ones you're going to make.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

angelobrazil wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Information:

your reasoning is just plain wrong. http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t287-information-evidence-for-a-creator It has been calculated that it would be statistically impossible to randomly type even the first 100 characters in Shakespeare's "Hamlet". If the monkeys typed only in lower case, including the 27 spaces in the first 100 characters, the chances are 27100 (ie. one chance in 10143). http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/t283-einstein-s-gulf-can-evolution-cross-it?highlight=einsteins+gulf Albert Einstein,undoubtedly one of the greatest scientists of all time, described the "gulf' that logically separates the concrete world of hard objects on the one hand from the abstract world of ideas on the other. He wrote: We have the habit of combining certain concepts and conceptual relations (propositions) so definitely with certain sense experiences that we do not become conscious of the gulf-logically unbridgeable which separates the world of sensory experiences from the world of concepts and propositions On the one side, we find the real world of objects, events, and tensional spacetime relations. On the other side, we find fully abstract representations that contain information about the material world. That articulate information is abstracted first by our senses, secondarily by our bodily actions, and tertiarily by our ability to use one or more particular languages . Between the two realms we find what appears to be an uncrossable gulf.

It would seem to be more of a problem with your sources or should I say source than my reasoning. It would not be impossible statistically. It would be improbable.  Secondly I think you do need to address the work by Ilya Prigogene about structure that develops in chaotic systems that are far from entropy as say a chemical solution. Also as to improbability and randomness. With a situation such as a lottery. Given that the odds may be 1 in 100,000,000. There is probably someone who will win it in much less than 100,000,000 attempts.  As to Einstein's comment I do not see how it relates here apart from the fact that our abstract information or knowledge only approximates a correspondence to reality and the complexities of the universe. The question of a correspondence theory of knowledge to that of reality is still up for grabs phenomenologically. It is not so much scientifically as to neuroscience. That is the easy problems of consciousness is and will be satisfied as third person information about brain functioning and the associated behavioral and functional mental processes that are structurally related to 1st person consciousness.  The hard problem of consciousness per se is that is likely a non-reducible physical phenomena.  However,  we are not certain that we "find a real world of objects, events and tensional spacetime relations" contrary to the website you are actually quoting from which continues your sentences with more creation science mombo jumbo:

A small part of the evolutionists' problem is that hard objects are never observed spontaneously to transform themselves (on their own recognizance) into abstract ideas. The sun cannot sky-write the fact that it is about 93,000,000 miles from the earth. Neither do events transform themselves automatically into propositions. The meteor that collided with the earth leaving the crater out near Winslow, Arizona, cannot appear on CNN to tell of its journey, or to announce how hot it got streaking across the sky. Nor do space-time relations perceive, define, or narrate their unfolding over time. Events and relations between objects in time and space do not come stamped with date, time, and place of manufacture. While the earth may be affected by the moons of Jupiter in ways that science might detect, a planet is no more able to announce its age or recount its history, or declare the forces to which it is subject, than a dog can recite his pedigree or pronounce his mother's name.

http://www.icr.org/article/einsteins-gulf-can-evolution-cross-it/

I found this stuff reproduced on seven or eight other intelligent design or creationist propaganda sights.  The out of context statement from Einstein is his remarks on Bertrand Russell's theory of knowledge which I quote more fully below: 

http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/einstein_russell.htm

Man has an intense desire for assured knowledge. That is why Hume's clear message seems crushing: the sensory raw material, the only source of our knowledge, through habit may lead us to belief and expectation but not to the knowledge and still less to the understanding of lawful relations. Then Kant took the stage with an idea which, though certainly untenable in the form in which he put it, signified a step towards the solution of Hume's dilemma: whatever in knowledge is of empirical origin is never certain (Hume). If, therefore, we have definitely assured knowledge, it must be grounded in reason itself. This is held to be the case, for example, in the propositions of geometry and in the principle of causality. These and certain other types of knowledge are, so to speak, a part of the implements of thinking and therefore do not previously have to be gained from sense data (i. e., they are a priori knowledge). Today everyone knows, of course, that the mentioned concepts contain nothing of the certainty, of the inherent necessity, which Kant had attributed to them. The following, however, appears to me to be correct in Kant's statement of the problem: in thinking we use, with a certain "right," concepts to which there is no access from the materials of sensory experience, if the situation is viewed from the logical point of view.

As a matter of fact, I am convinced that even much more is to be asserted: the concepts which arise in our thought and in our linguistic expressions are all -- when viewed logically -- the free creations of thought which cannot inductively be gained from sense experiences. This is not so easily noticed only because we have the habit of combining certain concepts and conceptual relations (propositions) so definitely which certain sense experiences that we do not become conscious of the gulf -- logically unbridgeable -- which separates the world of sensory experiences from the world of concepts and propositions.

Thus, for example, the series of integers is obviously an invention of the human mind, a self-created tool which simplifies the ordering of certain sensory experiences. But there is no way in which this concept could be made to grow, as it were, directly out of sense experiences. It is deliberately that I choose here the concept of a number, because it belongs to the pre-scientific thinking and because, in spite of that fact, its constructive character is still easily recognizable. The more, however ,we turn to the most primitive concepts of everyday life, the more difficult it becomes amidst the mass of inveterate habits to recognize the concept as an independent creation of thinking. It was thus that the fateful conception -- fateful, that is to say, for an understanding of the here-existing conditions -- could arise, according to which the concepts originate from experience by way of "abstraction," i. e., through omission of a part of its content. I want to indicate now why this conception appears to me to be so fateful.

As soon as one is at home in Hume's critique one is easily led to believe that all those concepts and propositions which cannot be deduced from the sensory raw material are, on account of their "metaphysical" character, to be removed from thinking. For all thought acquires material content only through its relationship with that sensory material. This latter proposition I take to be entirely true; but I hold the prescription for thinking which is grounded on this proposition to be false. For this claim -- if only carried through consistently -- absolutely excludes thinking of any kind as "metaphysical."

In order that thinking might not degenerate into "metaphysics," or into empty talk, it is only necessary that enough propositions of the conceptual system be firmly enough connected with sensory experiences and that the conceptional system, in view of its task of ordering and surveying sense experience, should show as much unity and parsimony as possible. Beyond that, however, the "system" is (as regards logic) a free play with symbols according to (logically) arbitrarily given rules of the game. All this applies as much (and in the same manner) to the thinking in daily life as to the more consciously and systematically constructed thinking of the sciences.

It will now be clear what is meant if I make the following statement: by his clear critique Hume did not only advance philosophy in a decisive way but also -- though through no fault of his -- created a danger for philosophy tin that, following his critique, a fateful "fear of metaphysics" arose which has come to be a malady of contemporary empiricistic philosophizing; this malady is the counterpart to that earlier philosophizing in the clouds, which thought it could neglect and dispense with what was given by the senses.

No matter how much one may admire the acute analysis which Russell has given us in his latest book on Meaning and Truth, it still seems to me that even there the specter of the metaphysical fear has caused some damage. For this fear seems to me, for example, to be the cause for conceiving of the "thing" as a "bundle of qualities," such that the "qualities" are to be taken from the sensory raw material. Now the fact that two things are said to be one and the same thing, if they coincide in all qualities, forces one to consider the geometrical relations between things as belonging to their qualities. (Otherwise one is forced to look upon the Afield Tower in Paris and a New York skyscraper as "the same thing.&quotEye-wink* However, I see no "metaphysical" danger in taking the thing (the object in the sense of physics) as an independent concept into the system together with the proper spatio-temporal structure.

Einstein about objects:

Since the theory of general relativity implies the representation of physical reality by a continuous field, the concept of particles or material points cannot play a fundamental part, nor can the concept of motion. The particle can only appear as a limited region in space in which the field strength or the energy density are particularly high. (Albert Einstein, Metaphysics of Relativity, 1950)

The question of correspondence.  In the case of the evolution of a certain moth the wings and coloring are that of a poisonous butterfly.  Birds stay away from the butterfly but also the non-poisonous moth. Information is transmitted in the encounter. In fact we would say from a human perspective the moth is conning or lying to the bird about being poisonous.  This is not created by mind. This is created by evolution: natural selection birds that eat poisonous butterflies die or get sick. They learn those that learn it quickly survive better than those that don't. They stay away from things that look like the butterfly the moth develops more and more  to look like the butterfly because similarity is left alone to reproduce greater similarity in number.  No mind again simply natural selection. The birds in effect were breeding the moths to look more like the butterflies out of their fear.

We have sensory organs that have developed naturally to be "informed" about the environment.  Vision is what we think of most. We see objects their shapes, their color, size etc.'  But we actually do not We see a causally occurring complex of neural firing that is handled by specialized areas of lines up lines down to figure shape, an area for color, distance, an area that may or may not kick in of associative language and emotional association to similarly categorized subjects.  All of this perception can be done without consciousness,  The object may not be experienced in all of these modes on an unconscious level.  You might suddenly think about your bike when you were six because perception that did not make your attention triggered the association from memory of the red of your bike. Smells do this very often.  You might become conscious of the said object and have associative linguistic experiences or qualia.  You are creating a lot of this information. This was part of what Einstein was really saying and yet there is an ojective world which created a physical symbol and information in your brain and NOT your mind.  This occurs whenever you have perception that does not reach consciousness.  The information is neurological, functional and behavioral but in no since mindstuff of consciousness. Are you familiar with philosophical zombies? They are a thought experiment in the study of consciousness.  A zombie is like you in everyway without consciousness. They speak they feel and have perceptions.But that thing we call concsiousness is absent. All of the processes that are brain functions are physical non-mental coding so to speak. When you then have that thought come into to your consciousness then you have a true mind phenomenom. I would refer you to David Chalmers for a more thorough study of consciousness whom i am sure theists will try to utilize. Also Dan Dennetts work explains well the global workspace in which information is shared in a physical manner to be offered to consciousness.

So you have it wrong. Even with human consciousness information creates mind and not vice versa.