Why Pascal's Wager Sucks

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Pascal's Wager Sucks

A friend forwarded a message received from a xian attempting to use Pascal's Wager. The reply is classic.

The message:

Quote:

Someday, you'll understand. I feel sorry for you. Just promise me one thing, IF you were to hypothetically end up burning in hell or something, don't curse the religious for not saving you int time. Just consider that if my beliefs are wrong, so what, I'm worm food or whatever, no big loss. But if you're wrong, you're screwed. But you still have tons of chances to get it. Believe it or not, God loves you and when you meet your maker, you'll remember this and regret not taking it seriously. Good luck on your road of life, maybe our paths will cross someday.

My friend's reply:

Quote:

Hey, Bud! Thanks for your thoughts. When you sent your notice of pity, it would have been a lot more helpful had you mentioned which God I should avoid being screwed by.

There’s Allah whom the Muslim vehemently deny is triune; who say that Jesus is just a prophet, who say your Bible has been corrupted and so on. They give evidence from ancient history, science, archeology, Greek and Hebrew, Christian scholars, the early church fathers and the Bible itself to support their claim.

www.answering-christianity.com
www.muslim-responses.com
http://www.islam-guide.com

Or, how about the Jews. They say that Jesus at best was a good (if not problematic) Jewish Rabbi, but not the Messiah and certainly not God. They give evidence from ancient history, science, archeology, Greek and Hebrew, Christian scholars, the early church fathers and the Bible itself to support their claim.

www.jewsforjudaism.org
www.messiahtruth.com

Or, how about the Mormons who say that there are a multitude of gods and we can become one through acts like believing in their holy books and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. They give evidence from ancient history, science, archeology, Greek and Hebrew, Christian scholars, the early church fathers and the Bible itself to support their claim.

www.farms.byu.edu
www.fairlds.org

Or, how about the Jehovah’s witnesses who deny the trinity also. They say that Jesus was just a man and that the holy spirit is Jehovah’s active force. They say he is not omnipresent, that we are annihilated and not condemned to Hell and that Jesus has already come secretly. They give evidence from ancient history, science, archeology, Greek and Hebrew, Christian scholars, the early church fathers and the Bible itself to support their claim.

www.elihubooks.com
www.jehovah.to/index.htm

Even the Roman Catholic Church, who while saying they have the same God as you, say also that you can by God’s grace (through the sacraments and other good works) earn salvation. They believe such go to Purgatory when they die and one should do nearly every act of worship toward Mary that you do to Jesus, just don’t call it worship. They give evidence from ancient history, science, archeology, Greek and Hebrew, Christian scholars, the early church fathers and the Bible itself to support their claim.

www.catholic.com
www.catholicapologetics.org
www.envoymagazine.com

It seems partner that “god” has “left you without a witness.” Anyway you slice it, you are just as screwed as I am! But don’t worry! Look at these passages:

Deuteronomy 20:10-17 "When you draw near a city to fight against it, offer terms of peace to it. And if its answer to you is peace and it opens to you, then all the people who are found in it shall do forced labour for you and shall serve you. But if it makes no peace with you, but makes war against you, then you shall besiege it; and when the Lord your God gives it into your hand you shall put all its male to the sword, but the women and the little ones, the cattle, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourself; and you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemy, which the Lord God has given to you. Thus you shall do to all the cities which are far from you, which are not cities of the nations here. In the cities of these people that the Lord your God gives you an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes but you shall utterly destroy them, the Hittites and the Amoriotes, the Canaanites and the Jebusites, as the Lord your God has commanded."

Deuteronomy 7:2 "and when the Lord your God gives then [the enemies] over to you, and you defeat them; then you must utterly destroy them; you shall make no covenant with them, and show no mercy to them..."

Numbers 31:7, 17 They warred against Midian, as the Lord commanded Moses, and slew every male…[Moses said to them] "... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known a man by lying with him..."

I Samuel 15:1-3 And Samuel said to Saul, "The LORD sent me to anoint you king over his people Israel; now therefore hearken to the words of the LORD. Thus says the LORD of hosts, `I will punish what Am'alek did to Israel in opposing them on the way, when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and smite Am'alek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.'"

II Kings 2:23-24 He [Elisha] went up from there to Bethel; and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, "Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!" And he turned around and when he saw them, he cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out from the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.

Looks like we didn’t have to worry about God being all that loving after all.

I hope that the Pascal Wagerer felt that bitch slap!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's your problem?

Child of God wrote:

...is roadkill. With a spear through its head. And a cyanide pill in its stomach.

What God that you are a child of has such a f*cking attitude? Can you quote me chapter and verse that says this God requires his followers to have a chip on their shoulder?

<edit> whoops got caught up in all the bickering of the supposed child of god and after the post I saw he was spewing in April 2010. he appears to no longer be with us. Good riddance.

</edit>

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Thomathy,

It would be most helpful if you could furnish us with your actual argument as to why you believe God does not exist, rather than simply assert it.   Thanks.

IC XC

David

drichards85 ...which god are we talking about?  Are we talking about your personal god?  Can you point to this god?  Can you give me an exhaustive list of its attributes?  Is it testable?  Can it be proven to exist?  The reasoning is rather obvious, I should think, why I can merely assert that god does not exist.  I don't even know what god is and I'm quite certain that you don't either and that no one else does or I can't imagine how so many different conceptions of god could inhabit the minds of believers the world over.  I have no reason to believe in the existence of something that cannot be shown to exist and that is ostensibly a figment of the imagination (and not a very good one at that) and for which there exists no cogent definition.  For all intents and purposes, that thing does not exist which cannot be proven to exist.  God does not exist; not in the way, I'm sure, you'd like.

This thread, though, isn't about that.  It's about why Pascal's Wager sucks.  I think that's been fully fleshed out.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Third Time's the Charm

Thomathy,

If you had simply admitted that because there is no proof of the divine you are an atheist but do not assert to know that God exist, there would be no problem.  But you make a positive claim - and yes, "God does not exist" is a positive assertion of non-existence - and then fail to back it up with a positive argument.  First because you have no epistemic right.  You have taken something which by its very conception is unverifiable one way or the other by natural science and you have assumed, that since it cannot be verified by natural science, that it does not exist and that you can even claim that it does not exist.  The most you can really say for sure, though, is that it has not been proven so therefore you do not believe it.

There are also just a lot of assumptions in your comment, I mean more assumptions than argument.  Since you don't seem to think it's necessary to defend your position, we'll deal with your assumptions.  So there are many conceptions of God, but that does not disprove that the concept of God is invalid or that there is no true concept of God.  No, of course I cannot "point" to God, because God is spaceless to begin with, but there are several truths one cannot "point" to, so this question is just silly.  Can you point to the Law of (Non-)contradiction in logic or the Mathematical Law of Association?  No?  How about the Euclidean Point?  That means they don't exist or aren't important, right?  Re: exhaustive list of attributes - God does not have attributes, He has properties, and what good would a list of them do you?  And there are plenty of things in science which are untestable, such as your assumption that a hypothesis or theory must be testable in order to be valid and proven and accepted.  In fact axioms tend to be things which are assumed for the sake of the system, and these are never tested by natural science, even the axioms that we must be begin with reason and natural science - not proven, just assumed.  This is just another assumption you have not bothered to defend but just assume.  So no, I am afraid it is not rather obvious to me why you get away with an assertion without argument, and you can't claim to be "sure" that God doesn't exist in the way I like.

It is poor logic to say one thing many different ways in the attempt to justify your position.  I want to know why one should embrace your axioms over mine.  If one had to defend the use of reason to me, I would simply point out that reason can be mistaken and "whose reason"?  Should I read the Rationalists, the Empiricists, the Skeptics, Postmoderns, Realist or Nominalist Logicians, Realist or Antirealist Scientists, Epistemic Coherentists or Foundationalists?  Why should I believe in reason, can you "point" to reason for me?  Where is it so I can see this reason for myself, the essence of natural science and atheism?  Give me an exhaustive list of the rules of reason and why I should accept your take over others who have divergent views on reason?  Is it testable and can it be proven to exist?  So your view is not a monolith either and I see no reason to choose your axioms over mine.  I find it humorous that atheists defend themselves against the charge of being monolithic and then attack theism because it's not monolithic.

IC XC

David

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
Billy Bob Jenkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote: You have

drichards85 wrote:

You have taken something which by its very conception is unverifiable

You sound just like an atheist.

The Truest Christian these atheists will ever meet. I worship the only Lord at the Church with the Truest Christians: Landover Baptist.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Billy Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

drichards85 wrote:

You have taken something which by its very conception is unverifiable

You sound just like an atheist.

He is an atheist.  Read his posts.   He is not promoting the bible KJV 1611 he IS  tryin' to get others to think his way;   and it ain't the KJV 1611 way.  

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Thomathy,

If you had simply admitted that because there is no proof of the divine you are an atheist but do not assert to know that God exist, there would be no problem.  But you make a positive claim - and yes, "God does not exist" is a positive assertion of non-existence - and then fail to back it up with a positive argument.

I make a positive claim, yes.  You don't seem to appreciate, however, the caveat in that claim.  God is certainly some idea in which you believe.  There is, however, no such extant being that embodies the idea you have in your mind and I'll think you'll be very comfortable admitting to that, because otherwise you'd be tasked with proving that something you can't cogently define and which you admit you can't test for certainly exists.  That would be an uncomfortable position to be in, I'm sure.  God does not exist.  Now, the positive claim you make -that the god in which you believe does exist- are you going to justify that?  Are you going to offer proof?  Well, we'll see.

Quote:
First because you have no epistemic right.  You have taken something which by its very conception is unverifiable one way or the other by natural science and you have assumed, that since it cannot be verified by natural science, that it does not exist and that you can even claim that it does not exist.  The most you can really say for sure, though, is that it has not been proven so therefore you do not believe it.
That's not the most I can say, obviously.  It's something and it's certainly true, but it's not the most.

Quote:
There are also just a lot of assumptions in your comment, I mean more assumptions than argument.  Since you don't seem to think it's necessary to defend your position, we'll deal with your assumptions.
This is going to get tiresome very quickly if you insist that I don't think it's necessary to defend my position (when it certainly isn't true) and when you don't defend your position at all, as I'm sure we'll learn.

Quote:
So there are many conceptions of God, but that does not disprove that the concept of God is invalid or that there is no true concept of God.
No, the many conceptions of god do not disprove god.  I never indicated that they did.  No, I won't spell out to you that I did not -presumably you can read, so go back and read again. 

Quote:
No, of course I cannot "point" to God, because God is spaceless to begin with
On what basis can you claim to know that your god is 'spaceless'?  How do you know this?  How can you make that claim ...where is your evidence for it?

Quote:
but there are several truths one cannot "point" to, so this question is just silly.
Expound on these truths and how it is that they are evidence of your god.

Quote:
Can you point to the Law of (Non-)contradiction in logic or the Mathematical Law of Association?  No?  How about the Euclidean Point?  That means they don't exist or aren't important, right?
Let's start here, with what I actually wrote:

Thomathy wrote:
I have no reason to believe in the existence of something that cannot be shown to exist and that is ostensibly a figment of the imagination (and not a very good one at that) and for which there exists no cogent definition.  For all intents and purposes, that thing does not exist which cannot be proven to exist.
Now, how did you come to ask that strange question of me?  First, all those things are exhaustively defined which you put up as things I cannot point to (though I can literally point to at least one of them, even if it's abstract).  But I didn't write, 'things you cannot point to don't exist or aren't important,' did I?  No, I wrote something entirely different.  I don't know if you're dishonest or stupid, but this conversation isn't going to go very far if it's the former and you do this ever again.  I can appreciate that perhaps you didn't understand me, but I don't have time to get jerked around.  I'm going to be acerbic (I mean, if I haven't been yet).

Now, I'm going to spell something out for you.  Those things you mention are categorically different from your god.  You wouldn't be comparing your god, which, I assume, is supposed to be an extant entity that thinks, with abstract (but testable and therefor provable) conceptions of logic if your god were an actual entity and could be tested for.  So, which is it?  Are you making a baseless claim when you say that you believe in your god or are you making a testable claim?  You've already put your god outside of science and logic at least twice.  I'll quote you to make sure you know.

drichards wrote:
Not that I want my faith to be seen as a gamble, but I agree here that the existence of God cannot be proven one way or the other by natural science or even philosophy and thus belief in God falls outside the scope of a pure rational process.

drichards wrote:
You have taken something which by its very conception is unverifiable one way or the other by natural science

Quote:
Re: exhaustive list of attributes - God does not have attributes, He has properties, and what good would a list of them do you?
Your god has no attributes?  Well, you've already contradicted yourself.  I'm fairly certain that you said your god was spaceless ...perhaps we're using two different sense of attribute.  I'll grant, then, that your god has the property of being 'spaceless' (I really can't wait for you to show me the proof for that one!).  Anyhow, a list of properties of your god would go a long way to defining it cogently (you know, if your god's properties didn't contract themselves).  So, begin listing!  It's not difficult, is it, to come up with a list of properties that you believe your god has?

Quote:
And there are plenty of things in science which are untestable, such as your assumption that a hypothesis or theory must be testable in order to be valid and proven and accepted.
Actually, the very point to science is that there isn't a lot that's not testable.  Science is all about testing hypotheses.  My 'assumption' (and it's not an assumption) that, 'For all intents and purposes, that thing does not exist which cannot be proven to exist.' was not formulated to be a scientific claim, but let's make it one!  Have you ever considered Russel's teapot?  Well, the point is that I don't have to believe that it exists (and have good reason to disbelieve in its existence) until and unless I am presented with evidence of its existence.  The lack of evidence and the impossibility of there ever being evidence precludes my disbelief.  The fact that there isn't and cannot be evidence then acts as evidence of its absence, of it's nonexistence.  Even things in science that are not directly testable can be tested for indirectly.  If the teapot were really there it could be found.  Even if the teapot is there and remains essentially a part from the universe so that there is no evidence of it, then for all intents and purposes it does not exist.  A further implication is discovered when you ponder how something can be proposed to exist without there being a way to show that it does; how did that knowledge come to you?  The point is that statement I made is testable.  I'll never understand why believers seem intent to drag nonbelievers down to their level and exclaim triumphantly that our position too is unscientific or illogical.  There's nothing good about being either, stop being proud about having imagined something impossible to prove!  Lots of people have done it.

Quote:
In fact axioms tend to be things which are assumed for the sake of the system, and these are never tested by natural science, even the axioms that we must be begin with reason and natural science - not proven, just assumed.
Axioms are necessary starting points.  In logic (or mathematics, I prefer to use logic) one of the axioms is the principle of contradiction.  An axiom is not merely assumed, it is necessary and it is tautological.  Observationally, the principle of contradiction holds true.  It is quite real and it is not assumed to be true only for the sake of the system.  The system itself employs the rule.

Quote:
This is just another assumption you have not bothered to defend but just assume.
I take it for granted that people know what an axiom is.  Your ignorance is unfortunate, but don't presume that I haven't bothered to defend something that I thought every person learned in high school.

Quote:
So no, I am afraid it is not rather obvious to me why you get away with an assertion without argument, and you can't claim to be "sure" that God doesn't exist in the way I like.
Well, now you have it spelled out for you.

Quote:
It is poor logic to say one thing many different ways in the attempt to justify your position.
It's not poor logic, it's redundancy and the only problem with it is that it may be inefficient.  Poor logic is using logic incorrectly, I thought. 

Quote:
I want to know why one should embrace your axioms over mine.
You axioms, by which I assume you mean the presuppositions of Christian apologists, aren't axioms at all.

Quote:
If one had to defend the use of reason to me, I would simply point out that reason can be mistaken and "whose reason"?  Should I read the Rationalists, the Empiricists, the Skeptics, Postmoderns, Realist or Nominalist Logicians, Realist or Antirealist Scientists, Epistemic Coherentists or Foundationalists?  Why should I believe in reason, can you "point" to reason for me?  Where is it so I can see this reason for myself, the essence of natural science and atheism?  Give me an exhaustive list of the rules of reason and why I should accept your take over others who have divergent views on reason?  Is it testable and can it be proven to exist?  So your view is not a monolith either and I see no reason to choose your axioms over mine.  I find it humorous that atheists defend themselves against the charge of being monolithic and then attack theism because it's not monolithic.

IC XC

David

So, the game you're playing is to ask me (without answering any of the questions I've posed to you) to give you a university level eduction in philosophy so that you can choose how to apply reasoning skills once you've learned them?  That I should teach you to recognize what reasoning is?  You're using reasoning!  You're game is to equivocate on your god and on reason?  (By reason you mean logic, right? ...I'm understanding you to mean logic.) And to suggest that I'm defending myself against a charge you've not made?  I don't consider my knowledge to be whole or for my understand to be complete.  I'm not playing your game.  I'm not here to stand up for thousands of years of scholarly thinking and modern science and philosophy and to educate you.  Now, let's get to the heart of this: If you can't prove your god to exist, then what justification do you have to believe your god does exist?  I mean, if your belief is based on faith and is entirely outside of science or logic, then just tell me so that I can stop trying to reason with you.  Otherwise, spit up the bloody proof and make your claim to fame!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Meaning_Of_Life
TheistTroll
Meaning_Of_Life's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:I make a

Thomathy wrote:
I make a positive claim, yes.  You don't seem to appreciate, however, the caveat in that claim.  God is certainly some idea in which you believe.  There is, however, no such extant being that embodies the idea you have in your mind and I'll think you'll be very comfortable admitting to that, because otherwise you'd be tasked with proving that something you can't cogently define and which you admit you can't test for certainly exists.  That would be an uncomfortable position to be in, I'm sure.  God does not exist.  Now, the positive claim you make -that the god in which you believe does exist- are you going to justify that?  Are you going to offer proof?  Well, we'll see.

He does not have to prove anything because you've made a positive claim, with no special caveats:

David, I'll make this as simple as possible.  God does not exist.  It follows necessarily that any and all Christian presuppositions are illogical and unnecessary.  There's not much to discuss after that, you can imagine.

You have the burden of proof.  Not him.  As an atheist, perhaps you should operate under the auspices of your colleagues:

Quote:
I think the burden of proof falls on whoever makes a positive claim.

If I claim the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists, it is not your duty to disprove me. In fact, that might be impossible. Rather, it is my duty to back up my claim with reasons and evidence.

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=597

Banned for personal attacks. The explanation is here.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meaning_Of_Life

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

He does not have to prove anything because you've made a positive claim, with no special caveats:

David, I'll make this as simple as possible.  God does not exist.  It follows necessarily that any and all Christian presuppositions are illogical and unnecessary.  There's not much to discuss after that, you can imagine.

Not only did I admit to making a positive claim, I defended it ...thoroughly.  You're not going to make me quote myself from that post are you?  Go back and read it again, in whole and take your time to understand what you've read.

BigUniverse wrote,

Meaning_Of_Life
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy

Thomathy wrote:

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Not only did I admit to making a positive claim, I defended it ...thoroughly.  You're not going to make me quote myself from that post are you?  Go back and read it again, in whole and take your time to understand what you've read.

You defended it to no avail.

Now please present a proof that God does not exist.  It's your burden.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
piece of cake

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

I go outside.  The sky is clear, I am visible from the center of the universe.  Clear shot.  I yell, "GOD IS A WUSSY AND HE DOESN'T EXIST AND IF THIS AIN'T TRUE, LET HIM STRIKE ME DEAD."  <crickets>

For that matter, if god/s/dess exist, then maybe Satan does as well.  So where is my winning lottery ticket?  Beautiful face and body and dozens of dancing boys?  How about eternal youth?  No?  No Satan, either.  Because I would sell my soul for that.  And if all this came bundled, I'd sell my first born son as well - he'd object as he is 40 years old now, but what the heck.

It is ridiculous, it is insane, it is totally irrational to believe some invisible sky daddy is up there loving you but torturing you as well for your own good.  How creepy is that?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Plaintiff who shirks his responsibility

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

That is not how it works. Positive claims must be proven, not negative ones. The plaintiff has the burden of proof, not the defendant.

If you say like Bertrand Russell, there is a teapot revolving around Mars, it is not everyone else's burden to prove that is not true. It is the guy who says it is true.

It is not up to you to say you proved it. Proving it means you have convinced people.  Don't see any evidence of that.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Meaning_Of_Life wrote:You

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

?

Read post #306.

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

Which "god" was that again ?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meaning_Of_Life wrote:You

Meaning_Of_Life wrote:

You didn't go back and read that post in whole and take your time to understand it, did you?  Had you, there's a paragraph that would have stood out.  I'm going to quote myself.  I'm not going to do it again after this.  So read below:

Thomathy wrote:
My 'assumption' (and it's not an assumption) that, 'For all intents and purposes, that thing does not exist which cannot be proven to exist.' was not formulated to be a scientific claim, but let's make it one!  Have you ever considered Russel's teapot?  Well, the point is that I don't have to believe that it exists (and have good reason to disbelieve in its existence) until and unless I am presented with evidence of its existence.  The lack of evidence and the impossibility of there ever being evidence precludes my disbelief.  The fact that there isn't and cannot be evidence then acts as evidence of its absence, of it's nonexistence.  Even things in science that are not directly testable can be tested for indirectly.  If the teapot were really there it could be found.  Even if the teapot is there and remains essentially a part from the universe so that there is no evidence of it, then for all intents and purposes it does not exist.

BigUniverse wrote,

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes, but God has seniority.

Yes, but God has seniority. He is even older than CJ. So the burden of proof falls back on you, atheists.

The computer you are using is powered by electricity that you cannot see. That electricity exists. You cannot see God either, therefore God exists.

Let me tell you a few things about bananas. They are these miraculous fruits that God made which prove His existence. They have a skin to keep it fresh, a tab for easy opening, and they are shaped like the inside of your fist. Do you feel the flames of Hell licking up around your feet now, atheists?

See, if you had stopped to think about electricity and bananas, you wouldn't be in this embarassing position. Stop your arrogant crusade against God and let Jesus into your heart.

The Truest Christian these atheists will ever meet. I worship the only Lord at the Church with the Truest Christians: Landover Baptist.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
One More Time

All,

We have been over this time and again, but I surmise that many of you simply will not accept an argument from theists - no matter how nuanced or subtle - but rather insist that the theist conform to the atheist rules of engagement.  So I will be curt and to the point.  At least since my arrival, no skeptic atheist here has actually furnished an argument for their position.  Fine.  I do not expect to see those soon, because they do not exist and there is more a personal vendetta against theism in general and religion in particular than there is a principled reason to disbelieve.  But I will deal with one major assumption and it crops up again and again in the mantra that "The existence of God must be proven before I will believe it."  This is loaded insofar as it does not specify the type of proof one requires, nor does it shed light on what one perceives to be the role of evidence and the nature of justification.  I believe the assumption boils down to this:

A belief is justified if and only if that belief is self-evident or evident to the senses or inferable from a set of beliefs that are self-evident or evident to the senses.

Many atheists walk around with this unconscious Enlightenment assumption that any belief which fails to conform to these standards has to burden of proof and is "guilty [irrational] until proven innocent."  The only problem is, this axiom fails to meet its own criteria.  It is itself a belief which is not self-evident or evident to the senses or derived by reason therefrom; from whence do we get this almighty, unchangeable assumption?  Whenever someone demands proof for the existence of God under the assumption that a belief is justified only by proofs given from, say, logic, mathematics, or natural science, they do so on an arbitrary basis: for their assumption is one that has not been justified by the standards they demand for other beliefs.  This is what I want a reason for: why my belief must conform to your belief, when your belief is as (un)provable as mine.  With what warrant, for example, does someone claim that "the burden of proof is always on the positive claim"?  If I told you that two plus two does not equal four, that would be a "negative" claim and yet you would still put me under the burden of proof?  So it has little if anything to do with whether a claim is positive or negative, which is easily demonstrated.  These are mere evasions to escape the question of why atheists pretend as though they get to call the shots without any argumentative work.  They must really believe, that if they throw out irrelevant rhetorical phrases such as "figment of your imagination" that I will be either bullied into their belief, or made to look stupid, but either way I am unmoved: on what possible basis does one justify their notion that they require a specific type of evidence in order to be considered "proof," and that a belief is only justified if such evidence can be given?  I suspect that replies will not address these points at all, but I would be happy to be proven wrong and shown that there is an atheist here capable of logical argumentation.

IC XC

David

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:All,We

drichards85 wrote:

All,

We have been over this time and again, but I surmise that many of you simply will not accept an argument from theists - no matter how nuanced or subtle - but rather insist that the theist conform to the atheist rules of engagement.  So I will be curt and to the point.  At least since my arrival, no skeptic atheist here has actually furnished an argument for their position.  Fine.  I do not expect to see those soon, because they do not exist and there is more a personal vendetta against theism in general and religion in particular than there is a principled reason to disbelieve.  But I will deal with one major assumption and it crops up again and again in the mantra that "The existence of God must be proven before I will believe it."  This is loaded insofar as it does not specify the type of proof one requires, nor does it shed light on what one perceives to be the role of evidence and the nature of justification.  I believe the assumption boils down to this:

A belief is justified if and only if that belief is self-evident or evident to the senses or inferable from a set of beliefs that are self-evident or evident to the senses.

Many atheists walk around with this unconscious Enlightenment assumption that any belief which fails to conform to these standards has to burden of proof and is "guilty [irrational] until proven innocent."  The only problem is, this axiom fails to meet its own criteria.  It is itself a belief which is not self-evident or evident to the senses or derived by reason therefrom; from whence do we get this almighty, unchangeable assumption?  Whenever someone demands proof for the existence of God under the assumption that a belief is justified only by proofs given from, say, logic, mathematics, or natural science, they do so on an arbitrary basis: for their assumption is one that has not been justified by the standards they demand for other beliefs.  This is what I want a reason for: why my belief must conform to your belief, when your belief is as (un)provable as mine.  With what warrant, for example, does someone claim that "the burden of proof is always on the positive claim"?  If I told you that two plus two does not equal four, that would be a "negative" claim and yet you would still put me under the burden of proof?  So it has little if anything to do with whether a claim is positive or negative, which is easily demonstrated.  These are mere evasions to escape the question of why atheists pretend as though they get to call the shots without any argumentative work.  They must really believe, that if they throw out irrelevant rhetorical phrases such as "figment of your imagination" that I will be either bullied into their belief, or made to look stupid, but either way I am unmoved: on what possible basis does one justify their notion that they require a specific type of evidence in order to be considered "proof," and that a belief is only justified if such evidence can be given?  I suspect that replies will not address these points at all, but I would be happy to be proven wrong and shown that there is an atheist here capable of logical argumentation.

IC XC

David

Whole lotta assuming going on there..

Is this is supposed to be a reply to Tomathy's post ? Are you seriously saying he didn't address your points ?

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse,Beyond the level

Anonymouse,

Beyond the level of assertion and assumption, no, Thomathy did not address my points.  The whole crux of this discussion has been that "God must be proven to exist until one can (or should) believe in God," but what I have not seen is any explanation of what sort of proof is required and why.  Neither have I seen any explanation for what constitutes evidence, why what Thomathy and others believe to constitute evidence should apply in the specific case of belief in God, and how they think a belief is justified.  Why is it invalid to demand the same type of proof of one's first principles that they demand of my belief?  If someone could please answer these questions, I would be most grateful.  But at bottom, we both argue for, in principle, unprovable assumptions, and that is just my point.  At least I am honest enough to admit it.

IC XC

David

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not realy Billy Bob

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

Yes, but God has seniority. He is even older than CJ. So the burden of proof falls back on you, atheists.

The computer you are using is powered by electricity that you cannot see. That electricity exists. You cannot see God either, therefore God exists.

Let me tell you a few things about bananas. They are these miraculous fruits that God made which prove His existence. They have a skin to keep it fresh, a tab for easy opening, and they are shaped like the inside of your fist. Do you feel the flames of Hell licking up around your feet now, atheists?

See, if you had stopped to think about electricity and bananas, you wouldn't be in this embarassing position. Stop your arrogant crusade against God and let Jesus into your heart.

Stick a wet finger in a light socket and you can FEEL the electricity, when I stick a wet finger in the bible all I  feel is wet paper.  You can set up two poles made with copper heads and turn on the juice and you will see electricity jumping between the heads, have you ever seen lightning bolts? That to is electrcity.

Don't start sounding like banana boy Ray Comfort. That long narrow yellow thing we buy in a store is the result of human agracultural work. A banana growing in the wild {god country) is dark green, shaped like a scrawny eggplant, and tastes like raw platine.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Meaning_Of_Life
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy

Thomathy wrote:

You didn't go back and read that post in whole and take your time to understand it, did you?  Had you, there's a paragraph that would have stood out.  I'm going to quote myself.  I'm not going to do it again after this.  So read below:

As I've said, you've defended it to avail. 

Simply because you have not found evidence of something's existence does not mean that it, in fact, does not exist.  It just means that you have found no reason to believe that it exists. 

If you are going to predicate "existence" only to things which there is evidence of, then you do nothing more than trivialize the definition of "existence", just as you, as an atheist, will more than likely trivialize the definition of "evidence" in order to make the same point.  I doubt that you would get away with this in academia.

Essentially, your proof that God does not exist is that you have no evidence.  By the same token, I have found no evidence that God does not exist, therefore, applying your arbitrary criteria, God must exist.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Anonymouse,

Beyond the level of assertion and assumption, no, Thomathy did not address my points.

Maybe you just didn't grasp what he was saying. That's possible too, right ?

drichards85 wrote:
The whole crux of this discussion has been that "God must be proven to exist until one can (or should) believe in God," but what I have not seen is any explanation of what sort of proof is required and why.

Hmmm, I think you may have missed a post.

Anyway, we have no way of knowing yet what "belief in god" actually means to you. Beliefs can be so self-destructive, despicable and downright silly in some cases, that the question "why do you want proof ?", answers itself. If someone believes that god told him that I should give him money, I'm going to need some proof, for the obvious reason that I don't want to get conned. What would do it ? God him/her/itself asking me nicely would be a start.

drichards85 wrote:
Neither have I seen any explanation for what constitutes evidence, why what Thomathy and others believe to constitute evidence should apply in the specific case of belief in God, and how they think a belief is justified.  Why is it invalid to demand the same type of proof of one's first principles that they demand of my belief?

Again, we have no clue what you believe. It could be utterly crazy, it could be perfectly reasonable, it could change back-and-forth every couple of years, etc.... We just don't know. What constitutes evidence is going to depend on just exactly what it is that you believe.

drichards85 wrote:
If someone could please answer these questions, I would be most grateful. 

You're welcome. Now if you could answer all the questions you skipped in this thread, that would be nice too.

drichards85 wrote:
But at bottom, we both argue for, in principle, unprovable assumptions, and that is just my point.  At least I am honest enough to admit it.

IC XC

David

So that would make all the other theists on this site who claim they can prove god exists dishonest ? But what if they believe they're right ?

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Billy Bob

Jeffrick wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

Stick a wet finger in a light socket and you can FEEL the electricity, when I stick a wet finger in the bible all I  feel is wet paper.  You can set up two poles made with copper heads and turn on the juice and you will see electricity jumping between the heads, have you ever seen lightning bolts? That to is electrcity.

Don't start sounding like banana boy Ray Comfort. That long narrow yellow thing we buy in a store is the result of human agracultural work. A banana growing in the wild {god country) is dark green, shaped like a scrawny eggplant, and tastes like raw platine.

I can feel Jesus when I pray. He feels like a warm, soothing feeling all throughout my body, kind of like warm milk. You can also see Jesus, in the black spots on His miracle bananas, in hot coals, in cloud formations... you're blind if you've never seen Jesus. Also, any time something unexpectedly good happens, like someone beating cancer, that is proof that God exists, just as whenever something unexpectedly bad happens that is proof that Satan exists.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe God is the reason our human agricultural work has been so succesful? People got together and bred bananas, then suddenly there is a miracle banana? And you don't see how God is responsible for this?

You really stuck your finger in a light socket just to prove there is no God? You really are addicted to sin.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:This is

drichards85 wrote:

This is what I want a reason for: why my belief must conform to your belief, when your belief is as (un)provable as mine. 

You have a tendency to repeat yourself, so I am focusing on the parts of your post that seem to me to be the most coherent.

Starting with this sentence.  Personally, I don't think you need to believe what I believe.  I think you're nuts, you think I'm nuts.  <shrug> 

As long as religion does not intrude on science or my life, I don't care.  What I care about is no creationism in the science classroom and the freedom to not believe in my own fashion.  A lot of other people on this forum disagree with me and that is okay, too.

drichards85 wrote:

If I told you that two plus two does not equal four, that would be a "negative" claim and yet you would still put me under the burden of proof? 

If you told me this, I would direct you to the mathematical proof that 1+1=2 and tell you that the same proof applies to 2+2=4.  Someone came up with this proof a few years ago.  I didn't memorize it as it runs a couple of pages long.  You could google if you were interested.  At that point, I would have to point out to you that it would be your duty to disprove this proof (that was verified by a lot of mathematics professors).  It wouldn't be my duty to recreate this proof.

drichards85 wrote:

on what possible basis does one justify their notion that they require a specific type of evidence in order to be considered "proof," and that a belief is only justified if such evidence can be given?  I suspect that replies will not address these points at all, but I would be happy to be proven wrong and shown that there is an atheist here capable of logical argumentation.

I justify my requirements for empirical proof for god/s/dess because that is the proof I require for all of my beliefs and assumptions.  You can ask around - I am a pain as I dredge up facts and numbers on a topic and then ask for contrary facts and numbers in order to begin to change my mind on said topic.    I know that lying with statistics or numbers is possible, so I like to have more than one source if at all possible and I like to know the agenda of the source.

My need for empirical data is based on my personality, history and environment.  I know this.  It was true when I was a child, it is true now, and I don't see it changing any time soon.  You could give me reams of anecdotal first person experiences and I would ask for empirical data.  You could ask me to open my heart and I would ask for empirical data.  Tell me I will burn in hell for eternity --- where is the data?  If there is no empirical data, then the object/entity does not exist in reality.  And therefore, for me, it doesn't exist.  This is no kind of real proof of non-existence and I know that.  That doesn't change the fact that until I can see it, touch it, measure it, it isn't real to me.  And that is what religion is all about, isn't it - the personal belief in something/someone that can not be touched, seen or measured.  It's a non-starter as far as I am concerned.

Intellectually I am aware that millions of people are just fine with having an imaginary friend.  You are one of them.  You won't convince me and I know I won't convince you.  But you asked and this is my best answer.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Waaaaaaah!

drichards85 wrote:
Waaaaaaah! The nasty atheists won't accept my verbose nonsense. Waaaaaaah!

IC XC

David

Jesus Fucking Christ. Why does this have to be pointed out again and again to you people? Even if someone makes a claim about 'no god', you still have to define this 'god' and show evidence for it, since you say it exists!

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse,Of course it is

Anonymouse,

Of course it is possible that I did not grasp what Thomathy said, but that would need to be demonstrated.  A disagreement of principle does not imply a lack of understanding.  If I missed a post or somehow misconstrue the point of this discussion, then please direct me to the relevant post and show how I did not address his specific points.  I understand well that a belief can be self-destructive, despicable, and downright silly, but it has not been shown that my belief is self-destructive, despicable, or downright silly.  It has been asserted though.

I am not sure why one would equate belief in God with a person who claims that God told you or anybody else to give them money.  The former has explanatory value, at least in concept, and the latter has none.  Furthermore just because there are some people who do make silly claims about the divine, this in no way renders all claims about deity equally silly.  This is one of those assumptions I mentioned that has yet to be defended.  I know plenty of atheists who had bad experiences growing up in some religion and there are militant atheists who actively work for the destruction of religious instutitons.  Should I therefore identify all atheists with these types, or treat all disbelief in God as stemming from the same psychological causes?  A good rule is to apply your same logic toward people who believe as you do and see if it holds; since you are more prone to find a fallacy when the logic is directed at your beliefs, if you find a fallacy then it is likely that your logic against theism / religion is flawed as well.

There are several reasons why I have not given a precise definition of what "belief in God" means to me.  One is that I have been trying to illustrate that when people ridicule belief in God as "irrational," they themselves do not bother to elaborate on what belief in God means to them.  As a consequence they argue against a strawman.  God is some "flying spaghetti monster," or like Russell's teapot.  But this just supposes that belief in God is arbitrary, or else on the level of whatever we can imagine.  I asked for an argument to this assumption, but received none.  It just sounds so much better to misrepresent all theistic belief, I guess.

Why would your evidence for my belief change with the belief?  What does me changing the belief have to do with the type of evidence you use to evaluate that belief?  I don't remember all the questions posed in this thread, but there's a strong chance that they proceed from presuppositions which I would either qualify or altogether reject.  Now there's a chance I missed something since I'm back-and-forth on these threads, but experience tells me that the best approach is not just to hurl questions but to establish working premises.

cj,

My tendency to repeat myself has to do with not being heard or engaged on any of my points.  I don't think you're nuts, just wrong.   Re: creationism and the like, it seems to me that those are irrelevant to the question of whether or not God exists.  The subject of how religion should (or if it should) shape public policy is another matter altogether, and at least as far as I am concerned one can be committed to theism and not embrace its implementation on State and Federal politics.

You confirmed my point about two plus two, so thank you.  The point is that, when asked why the burden of proof was on me, the theist, to prove that God exists whereas the atheist does not need to prove anything (despite constant assertions that God does not exist), I was told that my assertion was in the positive and theirs was just a negative.  As if somehow, being a negative meant that they had no burden of proof.  I've noted numerous times that a person is in a better epistemic position if they just say that they personally do not believe because of the lack of evidence; I would disagree with them, but we could at least discuss it on that level.  But when someone wants to make an assertion, this is where they need to back up that assertion.  At any rate, burden of proof has nothing to do with negative vs. positive claims, because there are - logically - claims which are negative but still carry the burden of proof.  Which you helped me demonstrate.

So, based on what empirical proof do you justify your belief and assumption that all beliefs and assumptions require empirical proof?  If that is your requirement for all beliefs and assumptions, how about the belief and assumption that that is what you should require for all beliefs and assumptions?  I would say that this basic belief is not backed up by anything empirical, and that even if it were, it would beg the question.  It does no good to say "that is just the way things are" - why?  Why does this belief get a pass, why does it not have to be tested in order to be proven?  Yet this is the sort of assumption that many people use when they measure belief in God.  It does not even meet its own criteria for a rational belief because it has not been tested, it has not been verified by natural science, and it has not been proven.  So if this is your best answer, please try again.

My entire argument hinges on this: on what basis does a person demand this sort of evidence for God, when their belief that this sort of evidence is necessary does not meet its own burden of proof?  I simply deny that this sort of evidence is necessary for all beliefs because, if it were, I would have to prove the foundation of my belief by itself, and that is impossible and self-contradictory.  At least, that is what theists are accused of doing.

IC XC

David

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:drichards85

KSMB wrote:

drichards85 wrote:
Waaaaaaah! The nasty atheists won't accept my verbose nonsense. Waaaaaaah!

IC XC

David

Jesus Fucking Christ. Why does this have to be pointed out again and again to you people? Even if someone makes a claim about 'no god', you still have to define this 'god' and show evidence for it, since you say it exists!

Oh, do you have an argument for this?

IC XC

David

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Anonymouse,

Of course it is possible that I did not grasp what Thomathy said, but that would need to be demonstrated.  A disagreement of principle does not imply a lack of understanding.  If I missed a post or somehow misconstrue the point of this discussion, then please direct me to the relevant post and show how I did not address his specific points.

You know where his post is. Maybe reading it again will help. Actually, it looks like you'll have to read mine again as well.

drichards85 wrote:
I understand well that a belief can be self-destructive, despicable, and downright silly, but it has not been shown that my belief is self-destructive, despicable, or downright silly.  It has been asserted though.

Someone used those exact words to describe your faith ? Wow, what are the odds.

Btw, if you understand people hold beliefs like that, then why don't you understand why I would demand proof for such beliefs ?

drichards85 wrote:
I am not sure why one would equate belief in God with a person who claims that God told you or anybody else to give them money.

I don't understand that either. Maybe, just maybe, that's because I didn't do that. Let's check my post and see, shall we ?

Maybe I'm reading myself wrong, but what I appear to be doing there is giving you an example of a situation where asking someone to give me proof for his belief is a reasonable thing to do.

Again, I could be wrong, but I might have been replying to you, claiming you had not yet heard an explanation for why a belief in god might require proof.

drichards85 wrote:
The former has explanatory value, at least in concept, and the latter has none.  Furthermore just because there are some people who do make silly claims about the divine, this in no way renders all claims about deity equally silly.  This is one of those assumptions I mentioned that has yet to be defended.

This is just a suggestion, but do you mind if I put the defending on hold untill I actually make that assumption ? Just a thought.

drichards85 wrote:
  I know plenty of atheists who had bad experiences growing up in some religion and there are militant atheists who actively work for the destruction of religious instutitons.  Should I therefore identify all atheists with these types, or treat all disbelief in God as stemming from the same psychological causes?

You're really going to have to show me the post where I even faintly suggest that you should do that. Seriously, if I'm sleep-typing, I want to know about it.

drichards85 wrote:
A good rule is to apply your same logic toward people who believe as you do and see if it holds; since you are more prone to find a fallacy when the logic is directed at your beliefs, if you find a fallacy then it is likely that your logic against theism / religion is flawed as well.

You're not thinking this through. Applying logic to my own religious beliefs is what caused me to lose them. And I think you'll find, once you find the time to really read some of the threads here, that people here are very serious about applying logic to their own thoughts and opinions. Exhaustingly so, in fact.

drichards85 wrote:
There are several reasons why I have not given a precise definition of what "belief in God" means to me.  One is that I have been trying to illustrate that when people ridicule belief in God as "irrational," they themselves do not bother to elaborate on what belief in God means to them.  As a consequence they argue against a strawman.  God is some "flying spaghetti monster," or like Russell's teapot.  But this just supposes that belief in God is arbitrary, or else on the level of whatever we can imagine.  I asked for an argument to this assumption, but received none.  It just sounds so much better to misrepresent all theistic belief, I guess.

You want atheists to "elaborate on what belief in god means to them" ? ?

What's a strawman to you, might very well be The Truth to another theist. We're arguing against a strawman, you say ? Okay, here's your ticket and get in line, we'll get to your version in a minute.

It's actually quite impossible to misrepresent all theistic belief, since you guys are all over the place, so I really don't see what you're complaining about.

Also, how exactly are we supposed to correctly represent your theistic belief, if you won't tell us what it is ?

drichards85 wrote:
Why would your evidence for my belief change with the belief?

But I don't have any evidence for your belief. I don't even know what it is yet.

drichards85 wrote:
What does me changing the belief have to do with the type of evidence you use to evaluate that belief?

Why is this so hard to understand ? You could believe anything. Like I said, it could be perfectly innocent, or it could be batshit insane. I have no way of knowing because you won't tell me. An innocent belief would require no proof at all, but if you were to come to believe that god told you you could fly, demanding proof of that might keep you from hurting yourself.

drichards85 wrote:
I don't remember all the questions posed in this thread,

Reading them might solve that problem.

drichards85 wrote:
but there's a strong chance that they proceed from presuppositions which I would either qualify or altogether reject.

So you're presupposing that people are gonna proceed from presuppositions. Ooooookay....

drichards85 wrote:
Now there's a chance I missed something since I'm back-and-forth on these threads, but experience tells me that the best approach is not just to hurl questions but to establish working premises.

Might I suggest another working premise ? Take it one at a time, cuz this really isn't working.

Btw, you know what happens when I don't "hurl questions" ? : I get accused of making assumptions.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:So, based

drichards85 wrote:

So, based on what empirical proof do you justify your belief and assumption that all beliefs and assumptions require empirical proof?  If that is your requirement for all beliefs and assumptions, how about the belief and assumption that that is what you should require for all beliefs and assumptions?  I would say that this basic belief is not backed up by anything empirical, and that even if it were, it would beg the question.  It does no good to say "that is just the way things are" - why?  Why does this belief get a pass, why does it not have to be tested in order to be proven?  Yet this is the sort of assumption that many people use when they measure belief in God.  It does not even meet its own criteria for a rational belief because it has not been tested, it has not been verified by natural science, and it has not been proven.  So if this is your best answer, please try again.

The empirical proof for the belief and assumption that all beliefs and assumptions require empirical proof?  And then, I suppose, we can look for the empirical proof of the empirical proof of the empirical proof of the .................

This has been verified by natural science.  When you make a hypothesis and test it, your work is submitted to other scientists and laboratories who then test it using the original methods.  Only if the subsequent experiments have nearly identical results do people start to think maybe there is something to your original hypothesis.  This is called the "scientific method".  It is what gave you the computer you are typing on at the moment and the internet and your machine-woven, coal-tar dyed, man made fiber and/or genetically enhanced natural fiber shirt as well.

Testability.  Repeatability.  If I can't test it - because the object/entity in question has no presence in this universe - then it fails.  If I can't repeat it - I've tried to feel the peace one supposedly gets from religion and it just doesn't happen for me - then it fails.  The scientific method - a method that applies to all hypothesis and has been tested and proven for over 100 years.

drichards85 wrote:

My entire argument hinges on this: on what basis does a person demand this sort of evidence for God, when their belief that this sort of evidence is necessary does not meet its own burden of proof?  I simply deny that this sort of evidence is necessary for all beliefs because, if it were, I would have to prove the foundation of my belief by itself, and that is impossible and self-contradictory.  At least, that is what theists are accused of doing.

IC XC

David

As I explained, the scientific method has worked for humans for over 100 years.  Proven and tested over and over.  Always changing, always expanding, always questioning existing theories, always looking for new answers and methods.  New instrumentation and means of measuring means more testing and more repeating.  It works - otherwise we wouldn't be here chatting.

Do you believe this is a bad thing - that science changes as our knowledge changes?  Always seemed silly to me.  You want to cross a street, you look both ways then both ways again, and change your mind as your knowledge of traffic flow increases.  Or you run out without looking and get run over.  Test, test, test and repeat, repeat repeat.

"I simply deny that this sort of evidence is necessary for all beliefs because, if it were, I would have to prove the foundation of my belief by itself, and that is impossible and self-contradictory."

I think you are afraid to put your god/s/dess to the test.  You are afraid that s/he/it/they are not real.  And then you would have to think of what else to do with your life and you are afraid you will not be able to find an answer.

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: It is what gave

cj wrote:

It is what gave you the computer you are typing on at the moment and the internet and your machine-woven, coal-tar dyed, man made fiber and/or genetically enhanced natural fiber shirt as well.

I hope it didn't give him a garment with mixed fibers!

Deuteronomy 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:Yes,

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

See this video on the banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLqQttJinjo

Ray Comfort once educated apologized for this statement.

There is a story about a man who labored in his garden, plowing, planting, and weeding. The result was a beautiful and bountiful crop. His admiring neighbor commented on what a glorious harvest God had provided. The man replied dryly that she should see the garden when God is the only one doing the work.

All can see and feel electricity regardless of their personal belief. Lightening and static shock make electricity visible. You have to be the extremely rare individual who can see God. Oddly it is comes in numbers similar to those who see UFOs, Sasquatch, the lockness monster, ghosts, etc.

Man is older than God. 

Religion Kills !!!

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Billy Bob

ex-minister wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

There is a story about a man who labored in his garden, plowing, planting, and weeding. The result was a beautiful and bountiful crop. His admiring neighbor commented on what a glorious harvest God had provided. The man replied dryly that she should see the garden when God is the only one doing the work.

All can see and feel electricity regardless of their personal belief. Lightening and static shock make electricity visible. You have to be the extremely rare individual who can see God. Oddly it is comes in numbers similar to those who see UFOs, Sasquatch, the lockness monster, ghosts, etc.

Man is older than God. 

Why would Ray Comfort apologize for making such an incisive argument? The miracle banana argument has ne'er been refuted.

UFOs, Sasquatch, the Lockness Monster, and ghost sightings, are all just demons trying to distract us from Bible study and prayer.

And the Bible clearly states that God created man. So how could man be older than God?

Genesis 1:27 (King James Version)

27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse, Let me recap in

Anonymouse, Let me recap in one paragraph the discussion between Thomathy and me, to illustrate that I understand the progression and read his posts, then dismantled his assumptions and have yet to receive an adequate reply as to why the burden of proof falls on both theists and atheists to demonstrate the existence of God or lack thereof.  After a post in which Thomathy asserted that Pascal's Wager was in the context of "unnecessary, illogical presuppositions," I asked which presuppositions he considered unnecessary and illogical, and his response was simply to claim that God does not exist and that, therefore, any and all Christian presuppositions are illogical and unnecessary.  First he ignored a number of points I had made in my previous comment -- e.g. the existence of God, or lack thereof, cannot be proven with conclusive argument one way or the other through natural science and philosophy; the distinction between rational argument and personal belief, etc -- then he failed to answer my question of which Christian presuppositions he took to be unnecessary and illogical but choose to assert something without argument, that God does not exist.  Then I asked him to furnish me with proof (since he made an assertion), and responded with a series of diversions in question form: which God do I mean? Your personal God? Can you point to Him? Give an exhaustive list of its attributes? Can I prove it, and is it testable?  Then I was told that it is "obvious" why Thomathy can get away with an assertion that God does not exist.  Yet none of these questions amounts to argument and I dismantled the assumptions that underlay each, one by one.  The multiple conceptions of God does not rule all of them out as true; I cannot point to God, because He is "spaceless," just as the Euclidian point is "spaceless" (an abstract concept outside the bounds of space-time), we do not "attribute" anything to God but He has properties and, anyway, why should a list of attributes / properties / whatever be required before one can prove the existence of God?  I would have told them what they are, but He has simply declared that no God exists and it is difficult to penetrate dogmatic atheism.  At the very least I demonstrated that simple assertion, assumption, questions, and rhetoric are not sufficient to establish the "open-and-shut" case Thomathy wishes it were.  You write to me as if my problem is comprehension skills, so what did I miss that Thomathy answered in a way that did not beg the question?  I was accused of no defense for my position, but what has Thomathy given me?  He insists that he has defended his position, but nowhere has it been show that the logic of my comments are flawed.  If it has, please point it out a specific reference to me.  I argued against what his questions implied and where they would eventually lead, but then he backtracked and claimed that he never made the points that I rebutted, and of course that is true, but if his questions did not imply those points then I fail to see how they have any force.  They could only gain traction under the assumptions that I attempted to bring to the surface.  All that I have done so far is not to lay down a positive argument for the existence of God (there is no knock-down "rational proof" of His existence), but to dismantle the atheist objections to show why they are insufficient for unbelief.  If my arguments contained some misstep, or my thought processes were in some way invalid, I would hope that the rational atheists could simply lay out in systematic fashion why they will not work and give a point-by-point refutation rather than a drive-by rhetorical lashing.  Now, it is true that there is one post by Thomathy which I did not address, because they rehashed several of the same points we discussed before.  But I can see why someone would look at that and conclude that I dodged his criticisms.  But did he offer anything new?  I think not.  He continues to insist on proof for my position, all the while I ask what he considers proof and why position requires proof.  The typical answer is that it requires proof because I make a positive claim, but I have shown elsewhere that there is no universal rule that positive claims have the burden of proof whereas negative claims do not.  With regard to the existence of God, each person is in the same epistemic position and there is no privileged position from which to evaluate His existence based on the tools of science, reason, and philosophy.  So each side has the burden of proof.  What I really want to know as well, is why atheists often assume that all beliefs must be verified by natural science via empirical observation.  This belief is not itself verified by natural science based via empirical observation, it is rather an axiom that is assumed for the sake of the system.  But upon reflection it pares down the number of foundational beliefs considerably: there are patterns, numbers, symbols, and so forth which we take to conform to the external world of the senses but which are pure constructs of reason and have no manifestation in the natural order.  Neither are these "testable" in the naturalist science sense.  They cannot be "proven," or "pointed to," so to raise those questions with the conclusion that it is "obvious" God does not exist on these grounds, seems to assume without argument that immaterial objects do not exist, which just, um, begs the question.  Sorry, but I reject that assumption (no one has persuaded me that I should accept it) and an example is the concept of unity.  It is either something real or a mere rational construct to describe a certain phenomena which actually has no indepedent existence.  I will not get into a discussion of realism versus nominalism here, my only point is that there are some things which are immaterial, spaceless, timeless, etc.  To reject this realm is to base all things on the material realm and I see no a priori basis for that.  It is also a radical project which leads to abject nihilism in good Nietzschean fashion.

IC XC

David

P.S. I would have addressed your other points, but this post got too long.  Will catch up when I find time.

P.P.S. I apologize for the format of this comment; I promise I broke up the paragraphs but for some reason whenever I post it it shows up all blocky.

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well, David, it is becoming

Well, David, it is becoming all too obvious to me that you are unwilling to argue in favor of the existence of God. You stay on the defensive. You aren't much of an apologist for the Lord. Where is your faith?

I have made arguments for the existence of God. Maybe these atheists haven't accepted them, but at least I am trying. I am doing God's Will. Whose will are you doing? Hmm?

Stop being such a pansy and tell these atheists why you believe in God. Do something for the Lord for a change, instead of sitting on your thumb.

Be like me. Be a True Christian.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:P.S. I

drichards85 wrote:
P.S. I would have addressed your other points, but this post got too long.  Will catch up when I find time.

Well, you repeated that question I already answered about why one might need proof and what kind. I'm not sure why you did that.

As for Tomathy, the person to whom your reply to my post seems to be adressed, it seems that you and he disagree on the definition of some key words used in your arguments, so you're going to need to get that sorted first.

Btw, if this is supposed to be your reply to post 306...uhm, don't you think you should at least address Tomathy directly, so he can reply as well ? This could get headache-inducingly complicated if you try to talk to him through your replies to me.

drichards85 wrote:
P.P.S. I apologize for the format of this comment; I promise I broke up the paragraphs but for some reason whenever I post it it shows up all blocky.

Gave me a splitting headache. Try using Firefox. I hear it's the best browser to use for this site.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse,Forgive me.  You

Anonymouse,

Forgive me.  You did attempt to answer my question about proof, and I did give a [meager] response but did not fully flesh out why I think your example demonstrates precious little.  Your point was that, if someone walked up to you or me (or most of us, for that matter) and said to you that God told them for you to give them money, you would want proof.  But I did reply that there is no reason to think that the specific claims of this particular individual are in the same category as mere belief in God, for the simple reason that the hypothetical you introduce has no explanatory value while belief in God does.  I have not delineated what this "explanatory value" amounts to, because my point is that the two instances are not co-extensive, so that belief in God cannot be reduced to the level of a beggar who claims that God wants you to give him or her money.  This is the same reason why flying spaghetti monster parodies miss the point: they suppose that God is some arbitrary construct, but they never prove it.

If I told you that there is a realm that is immaterial, spaceless, and timeless, this would be an attempt to explain the sphere of Mind as opposed to that of Matter.  Mind would be able to discern patterns of recognition throughout the material world and develop abstract models that correspond to the external order perfectly (geometry) but yet are independant of any experience, and these rules would constitute what we now call logic, mathematics, and science.  It is taken for granted that the rules of logic, for example, are universal across time and space, that a thing is not both itself and not itself at the same time and in the same sense for example.  In a similar way a geometric figure or proof is taken to correspond to the real world, though really we have no actual experience of such abstract concepts as the Euclidian point.  Either we take these to be independent of empirical investigation (since no amount of investigation will yield concepts such as unity or plurality) or we conclude that they are mere mental constructions that do not correspond to anything but are just convenient ways to express what we encounter.  If we hold to the latter then we have no basis on which to establish that any set of axioms is true or false, and this includes the rules of logic.

One might argue that the set of axioms which comes closest to our experience of the world are the axioms which should be upheld, but then another problem arises.  First, as I pointed out, we do not experience abstractions.  No axiom that abstracts a concept from its physical context can be held to correspond to the world of experience, or we beg the question -- and this is the second problem: "We know that there is a number called two because I see two things in front of me" does not get us very far at all.  In fact, there is a not a number two, but rather you have assigned the property of quantity where no such property exists.  How about qualities, are they real or constructed?  If real, then where do we find them in nature?  Where is the property of color or of temperature?  Are these umbrella terms anything more than descriptive of particular objects?  And on what basis do we predicate quality and quantity to an object or to a class of objects?  And how is my approach at all similar to the "flying spaghetti monster," or the beggar who tells you that God told him you are supposed to give him money?

I cannot "prove" any of this to you, of course, at least not with the type of proof you require, but that does not discount that the existence of immaterial, spaceless, and timeless concepts are used for their explanatory value and not because no better scientific explanation has come along.  As Kuhn pointed out, science is always interpreted in accord with some paradigm through which raw data is interpreted and related.  It is not a tabula rasa and there is no such thing as a pure, objective science.  [Natural] Science is just a method in which the natural world is studied, and the concept of God -- as immaterial, spaceless, and timeless (just three examples of divine properties) -- is outside the purview of modern scientific tools and research.  This is why I reject the assumption that, because the existence of God has not or cannot be proven by "evidence" or "proof," therefore God does not exist.  It is because the whole argument rests on a category error, the assumption that if God exists then His existence must be verifiable by scientific proof.  I just reject the assumption, just as I reject the assumption that I must prove that unity, plurality, quantity, and quality exist.  If we turn our method against itself, and use it for the abstractions of logic, we will soon find ourselves adrift in nihilism.  No thanks.

IC XC

David

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Anonymouse,

Forgive me.  You did attempt to answer my question about proof, and I did give a [meager] response but did not fully flesh out why I think your example demonstrates precious little.  Your point was that, if someone walked up to you or me (or most of us, for that matter) and said to you that God told them for you to give them money, you would want proof.  But I did reply that there is no reason to think that the specific claims of this particular individual are in the same category as mere belief in God, for the simple reason that the hypothetical you introduce has no explanatory value while belief in God does.  I have not delineated what this "explanatory value" amounts to, because my point is that the two instances are not co-extensive, so that belief in God cannot be reduced to the level of a beggar who claims that God wants you to give him or her money. 

My examples demonstrate, that in some cases it's only reasonable to demand proof for someone's belief. I don't hear you denying that, so what do you mean it "demonstrates precious little" ? Wether or not someone's beliefs are in the same category as mere belief in god is beside the point. In my experience, religious beliefs go a lot further than that. Heck, your beliefs may not stop at that point. We still have no way of knowing.

I am not reducing belief in god to anything. I am simply dealing with the reality of people wanting to translate some of their more dangerous and non-sensical beliefs into actions. Demanding proof is the only way I have to make them stop and think about what they are saying, or in some cases, doing.

If all you believe in is "the concept of god", then I have absolutely no problem with you whatsoever. Why would I ?

More importantly, how would I even notice ?

As for the rest of your argument, that seems to be adressed to someone else again, since I never mentioned anything you're talking about there.

Look, if it's Thomathy you want to talk to, just adress him directly.

He's a nice guy. He won't bite.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:"We know

drichards85 wrote:

"We know that there is a number called two because I see two things in front of me" does not get us very far at all.  In fact, there is a not a number two, but rather you have assigned the property of quantity where no such property exists.  How about qualities, are they real or constructed?  If real, then where do we find them in nature?  Where is the property of color or of temperature?  Are these umbrella terms anything more than descriptive of particular objects?  And on what basis do we predicate quality and quantity to an object or to a class of objects?  And how is my approach at all similar to the "flyin spaghetti monster," or the beggar who tells you that God told him you are supposed to give him money?

David, you are making things needlessly difficult for yourself and others.

These properties are by definition and convention.  Color is a particular wave length of radiation in the section of the spectrum we have termed "visible light".  http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html  Your eyes, if you are not color blind, perceive these colors and we have named them by convention - red is about 700 nanometers.  It the wavelength is 690 nm, we start talking about "reddish orange" or "orangeish red".  "Red" is just the common word we use to mean this perceived wavelength.

Same for temperature - the guys who came up with the original temperature scales just defined it that way.  Celsius, Fahrenheit and Kelvin were all scientists who came up with a standardized way to measure temperature.  It is just a definition combined with an instrument that can measure changes in temperature. 

wiki wrote:

Temperature is the measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, which is related to how hot or cold that substance is.

So temperature is a real phenomenon - the average kinetic energy - and the measurement of temperature is a construction and agreed upon standard.  Color is a real phenomenon - the length of the wave between photons - and the agreed upon convention for color naming.  You can make up stuff about color or temperature to your own convention, but why bother?  No one would understand you if you did.

"2" or "two" is again, a real thing and a construct.  One banana plus one banana is two bananas.  It really is that simple.  It doesn't get difficult until you start talking about Euclidean geometry or polar calculus (actually, I thought polar coordinates were easier to use than rectilinear, but that is a different story).  It is a definition of the concept of multiples of objects.  Heck, even your dog can count.  http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2619-lab-tricks-show-dogs-can-count.html

These properties exist both in reality and in concept.  The basis for assigning these properties and having standards to define these properties is to a way to talk about them in short hand.  So we can say - it is a beautiful day at 80 degrees Fahrenheit or 27 degrees Celcius - or I have 2 cars - or the sea is a lovely shade of aquamarine at the beach at sunset - and we all know what we mean.

Your approach is the same for any invisible, not in reality, hypothesized entity.  How can you say that your god/s/dess has more validity than the fsm?  The bible tells you so, your heart tells you so.  What sort of evidence is that?  A bunch of bronze age goat herders made up a bunch of stories and you believe them?  If you feel good about that, great for you.  The fsm makes me laugh - so you could say it makes me feel good in some sense.  The god of the christians has yet to make me feel like laughing - even when I was trying my hardest to believe in him.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watch the Video

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

Man is older than God. 

Why would Ray Comfort apologize for making such an incisive argument? The miracle banana argument has ne'er been refuted.

UFOs, Sasquatch, the Lockness Monster, and ghost sightings, are all just demons trying to distract us from Bible study and prayer.

And the Bible clearly states that God created man. So how could man be older than God?

27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

If you watch the video you will know why he apologized. Truth is supposed to be important to Christians so they say. 

Religion Kills !!!

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse and

Anonymouse and cj,

Unfortunately I'm going to have a busy day at work today, but I will respond to your comments when I have time.

IC XC

David

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Billy Bob

ex-minister wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

Man is older than God. 

If you watch the video you will know why he apologized. Truth is supposed to be important to Christians so they say. 

Oh, I have spent many a night with my family watching Ray Comfort talk about the banana. I have all of his talks on DVD.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Look, if

Anonymouse wrote:

Look, if it's Thomathy you want to talk to, just adress him directly.

He's a nice guy. He won't bite.

High praise, Anonymouse, and thanks, but I won't be responding to drichards85 even if he does direct comment to me.  I, however, have one last thing to say to him directly: 

drichards85 I don't believe you're actually interested in any constructive conversation:

drichards85 wrote:
All that I have done so far is not to lay down a positive argument for the existence of God (there is no knock-down "rational proof" of His existence), but to dismantle the atheist objections to show why they are insufficient for unbelief.
and that is as much of an admission I need.  This could go on in circles for a long time.  We're essentially (and I do mean that literally) opposed.  You don't want to define your god or tell us anything substantial about it.  You want your god to be undetectable to science and virtually exempt from logical scrutiny ...granted you reject that it's necessary for your god to be within the purview of science or reason, though I find that position untenable.  You tell us that you've dismantled our objections to your (as yet undisclosed) idea of god, showing that they are insufficient for unbelief, when you've done no such thing.  -I can't imagine that you could when you outright admit to rejecting the very foundations upon which our objections are based.  Conveniently for you, however, I can only infer the foundations of your beliefs and argue generally from my perspective about problems with god ideas (taking for granted, because of my limited knowledge, that your god isn't especially exempt from those arguments -though I've not met a god idea that isn't).  I'm sure we can admit that this is disadvantageous.  I doubt if either of us is going to take the perspective of the other, especially when you see absolutely no reason to defend your beliefs on my terms and when the terms of my own defence are incompatible with your beliefs or vice versa, if you like.  You're welcomed to call me a dogmatic atheist, though I find the phrase to be meaningless and indicative of a complete ignorance for what atheism is.  I'll simply refer to you as a dogmatic theist.

You're not the first person to have come to these boards with these particular arguments, this particular world view, this stunning ability to evade all questions asked of you (and indeed to evade responding directly to arguments or responding to them at all), retorts noting that we have been remiss in responding to you adequately and claims that you've successfully defeated our arguments and you won't be the last to do it.  I can't abide wastes of my time.  You're welcomed to actually respond to anything I've written, but from me, at least, expect silence.

BigUniverse wrote,

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I told you so, David

I told you so, David Richards. See? You screwed everything up.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I am going to bow

Actually, I am going to bow out of this discussion for now because I am working on a much more complicated and sustained argument, which I may post on these forums when I have time.

IC XC

David

Billy Bob Jenkins
Theist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Actually,

drichards85 wrote:

Actually, I am going to bow out of this discussion for now because I am working on a much more complicated and sustained argument, which I may post on these forums when I have time.

IC XC

David

Some Christian you are.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Actually,

drichards85 wrote:

IC XC

David

Nobody's forcing you, David.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who said anybody is forcing

Who said anybody is forcing me?  Honestly, I am in the process of putting all my efforts into fleshing out my thoughts in another argument so I don't have the time or energy to respond to every point somebody posts.

IC XC

David

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Who said

drichards85 wrote:

Who said anybody is forcing me? 

Not me. I said "nobody".

Good luck with the other argument.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
So why not watch one more video?

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Billy Bob Jenkins wrote:

Man is older than God. 

Oh, I have spent many a night with my family watching Ray Comfort talk about the banana. I have all of his talks on DVD.

If you spent so many night watching him, watch one more

Unless you are afraid.

Religion Kills !!!

Mors Victrix
Mors Victrix's picture
User is offlineOffline
How I refute the argument...

Pascal's wager refutation (theists use this often):

1. And if you die and to your surprise there really is a god, but not the one you believe in? You've wagered on the wrong god (and there are countless gods to chose from).

2. And if there really isn't any god and you are throwing your short and one and only life away for a false belief?

3. Richard Dawkins suggests that instead of the deity Pascal assumed, God might reward honest attempted reasoning and punish blind or feigned faith.

4. The French intellectual Louis Althusser is critical of Pascal for inverting the order of things. By arguing that we should first act and then gain faith Pascal is in fact subjecting us to physical domination through use of ideological power (i.e. we are being forced to physically kneel down, pray, etc.). For this reason Althusser claims that Pascal brings 'like Christ, not peace but strife, and in addition something hardly Christian... scandal itself'.

I usually present the problem something like this: What if I started telling people aliens exist and that if everyone didn't believe me and started following me, our world would be destroyed? Would you make the wager? There is a lot more chance for aliens with flying saucers to exist than a god, because we know biological life in the universe is possible, when it comes to anything like a deity, we can only guess - yet we don't see UFO believers knocking on our door with pamphlets, or even persecuting people for not believing, not being prepared to make the wager. This is where the Pascal's wager has it wrong. You don't a priori accept a proposition and then wait for it to be verified or falsified, yet until then submit to an authority that was the source of the proposition (the church for example). If the proposition is a dogma (like in religion), then it is even worse, because you are not even allowed to try and inspect the validity of the proposition. Thus all you can do is blindly follow it. But even if you were to accept this flawed wager, there is still the problem of what proposition to blindly follow, since you also have many such propositions and all contradict each other and sometimes even themselves (contradictions in the bible and different interpretations of its texts for example).

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pascal's Idiocy

What theists tend to forget when they toss Pascal's Wager into the equation as some sort of spiritual CYA is that to truly cover your ass you would have to worship all the gods that have ever existed, at the very least, the ones that ascribe some sort of punishment for non-worship. The problem is that worshipping one God angers another. In Islam, a sure path to hell is to believe in Christ just as not believing in Christ will condemn you to hell according to Christianity.

Now lets complicate it a bit. According to the Aztecs, not keeping a steady flow of virgin blood trickling down the temple steps by ripping out the heart of a child as a sacrifice to Huitzilopochtli would cause the entire universe to end. But doing so would condemn you to hell according to Christianity. What to do? What to do?

The Hawaiin fire godess Pele' had a particularly nasty temper when not appeased with human sacrifices as did the Tahitian creator/god Ta'aroa and about a thousand other religions around the world throughout history. Trying to play it safe by worshipping any of them would put you in conflict with about a thousand other religions. So how do you cover your metaphysical ass there? 

If you don't die on a battlefield or if you die with any of your limbs detached then you can't join Odin in Valhalla. I don't see any of the intellectual infants who think Pascal's Wager makes sense rushing off to war just in case Odin is the true god.

The whole thing is just silly and I feel kind of silly justifying it with a response, but yet I have. You know... just in case.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize-winning physicist

Seculartheist
Seculartheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That's usually what

That's usually what happens when you discuss this stuff on the internet. somebody heard something somewhere about Pascal, or Anselm, or Aquinas saying something that they thought sounded like a real "nail biter" for Atheists so they find a few quotes and send them out. 

When asked why the Creator of the physical cosmos would not be irritated by you pretending to believe to cover your own ass "just in case"; or how that could possibly develop a "relationship" between you and God, I hazard that person's response would have been: "Jaezus!"