Ray Comfort is a HUGE douchebag

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline

These videos shouldn't surprise me by now, and I don't know why I can't stop watching them. I really think that he is getting up there with Hovind in my hate-o-meter.

Does anyone else hate Ray Comfort as much as I do, or am I just being "irrational"? All he does is go around calling people lying, cheating, thieving, adulterous hearted blasphemers who will be sent to hell on the day of judgement or some shit like that. I REALLY HATE HIM.

Not only that, but he's a young earth creationist. You can't really get much worse..... except for Hovind.

Rather than shitting on everyone elses thread where Comfort is mentioned, I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to him. The comments about him being a douchebag on that YouTube page are mine by the way. That guy who uploaded the video tries to witness to people who criticize Ray Comfort.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

I don't hate him, however I have extreme disrespect for his dishonesty. I think Ray knows he's full of shit. If he doesn't then he's simply ignorant.

Ray embodies a theory that I coined with a friend about five years ago, it's one I haven't mentioned on this forum yet...

The theory of inherent dishonesty in theism:
One must resort to either being ignorant or dishonest, or both when arguing that a God exists.

It's my contention that The theory of inherent dishonesty in theism is more valid than evolution, until proven otherwise.

Join us in the chatroom this Friday night when we air the Ray Comfort show. It'll air on Freethoughtmedia.com at 9pm est, and again at 11pm est on Freethoughtradio.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Something churches and diapers have in common. Both are usually full of shit! Laughing out loud

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:
Join us in the chatroom this Friday night when we air the Ray Comfort show. It'll air on Freethoughtmedia.com at 9pm est, and again at 11pm est on Freethoughtradio.com

I wish you guys did Saturday shows during the day too. I usually go do stuff with friends on Friday nights.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

cbenard wrote:
Sapient wrote:

I wish you guys did Saturday shows during the day too. I usually go do stuff with friends on Friday nights.

I could join in the chatroom on Tuesday nights when RevereRadio plays the show, but the other guys can't always do that. So we don't m,=ake a big stink about it. Just bring your friends to the chatroom. Sticking out tongue We do it at 9 and 11 est now.

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

I just had the displeasure of watching part of his "Way of the Master" videos. Ugh. I got through 10 minutes of it and, seriously, vomitted. This man is seriously fucking retarded. Are you telling me that a banana is proof of ID? Please.

Not everyone holds a banana that way. Not everyone eats a banana that way. What if a crab held a banana? His fucking ridge theory doesn't hold up.

He keeps trying to equate non-natural things, like the production of car, with evolution of natural things. Yeah, no shit a car won't evolve.

Ray Comfort is the biggest douchebag in the world. And I bet that Kirk guy has a small wang.

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

GuentherBacon
Rational VIP!
GuentherBacon's picture
User is offlineOffline

I had a very similar argument presented to be in the Christian Youth forums. I'll have to see if I can find it. But it was pretty stupid. Smiling

I will say, I really do get a kick out of Ray Comfort's accent. I like imitating the banana speech in front of my parents, who are theists. Smiling

Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."
The Book Of Satan IV:3, The Satanic Bible

Atheist_Scathe
User is offlineOffline
Re: Ray Comfort is a HUGE douchebag

cbenard wrote:
These videos shouldn't surprise me by now, and I don't know why I can't stop watching them. I really think that he is getting up there with Hovind in my hate-o-meter.

Does anyone else hate Ray Comfort as much as I do, or am I just being "irrational"? All he does is go around calling people lying, cheating, thieving, adulterous hearted blasphemers who will be sent to hell on the day of judgement or some shit like that. I REALLY HATE HIM.

Not only that, but he's a young earth creationist. You can't really get much worse..... except for Hovind.

Rather than shitting on everyone elses thread where Comfort is mentioned, I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to him. The comments about him being a douchebag on that YouTube page are mine by the way. That guy who uploaded the video tries to witness to people who criticize Ray Comfort.

Agh, I utterly DESPISE Comfort... proof of the need for mandatory sterilization... haha watched that vid from WOTM with him and altar-boy-ass Kirk Cameron- haha they were witnessing to gays and transgender people! Fuckin' a- appears that homosexuality is a sin just like any other sin- and it's important to repent so that likl Jeebus can make you not gay I guess so you don't roast in hell for eternity- seriously it should be illegal to be that stupid!

And will someone PLEASE TELL THAT IDIOT THAT HE'S PARTIALLY RIGHT ABOUT THE BANANA! The banana IS evidence of ID- haha of HUMAN ID of course- it's a cultivar and has been cultivated in Melanesia and Southeast Asia for thousands of years- the reason it has no seeds is that it's a polyploid, with three instead of two sets of chromosomes! For "Christ's" sake, TELL me that SOMEONE has held his feet to the fire about this?!! Evil

Atheist_Scathe
User is offlineOffline

Matt-Evolved wrote:
I just had the displeasure of watching part of his "Way of the Master" videos. Ugh. I got through 10 minutes of it and, seriously, vomitted. This man is seriously fucking retarded. Are you telling me that a banana is proof of ID? Please.

Not everyone holds a banana that way. Not everyone eats a banana that way. What if a crab held a banana? His fucking ridge theory doesn't hold up.

He keeps trying to equate non-natural things, like the production of car, with evolution of natural things. Yeah, no shit a car won't evolve.

Ray Comfort is the biggest douchebag in the world. And I bet that Kirk guy has a small wang.

Haha I love the car argument... have you heard the "spork" argument? That a spork is a missing link between the fork and spoon?!

And AGAIN, the banana IS PROOF OF ID- HUMAN ID!!! Melanesian and Southeast Asian peoples cultivated them for thousands of years- wild bananas are smaller, much less tasty and full of seeds- domestic ones are polyploids, meaning that they have three sets of chromosomes instead of the usual two- that happens sometimes naturally, but without humans to favor the mutation something like that's going to die out in the wild for obvious reasons.

shorty
User is offlineOffline

ray comfort should come out with a line of comfortable reclining chairs and sofas

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline

I find Ray Comfort highly annoying.

:-x

I can't believe he does the same speech again and again. (The questions bit.) Can't he come up with anything new? Everyone must have heard it a zillion times. No one runs away, and people rarely argue back.

His level of understanding of basic science is just horrible. I hope someday as he's doing his interviews on the street, he bumps into a teacher, who rips him several new orifices.

AnonymousLou (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Serious malfunction here

This comment has been moved here.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In response to the title of

In response to the title of the thread.

This is Wolf Blitzer in the Sitution Room, our top story tonight, DUH!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

NiccoloM
atheist
NiccoloM's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't hate Ray Comfort

I think Ray is frustrating, irrational, and irritating when he discusses his beliefs, but he seems likable in some ways. Yes, he is childish and misguided, but both Comfort and Cameron seem so friendly and well meaning that I don't dislike them as much as I detest their viewpoints on religion and evolution.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
NiccoloM wrote:I think Ray

NiccoloM wrote:
I think Ray is frustrating, irrational, and irritating when he discusses his beliefs, but he seems likable in some ways. Yes, he is childish and misguided, but both Comfort and Cameron seem so friendly and well meaning that I don't dislike them as much as I detest their viewpoints on religion and evolution.

yeah, i will say this about comfort: i don't think there's an ounce of cynicism or alterior motive there.  he's the real deal.  he is frequently dishonest in his arguments, but i think that comes from varying ratios of cognative dissonance and ends-justifying-the-means thinking.

he's the closest thing to ned flanders you'll ever find in the real world.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I googled this Ray

Comfort fella. I find him wrong. It's a pity ain't it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:Comfort

Old Seer wrote:

Comfort fella. I find him wrong. It's a pity ain't it.

It's a pity that you two are on the same team?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i will say this

iwbiek wrote:

i will say this about comfort: i don't think there's an ounce of cynicism or alterior motive there.

I completely (although respectfully) disagree.

iwbiek wrote:
he is frequently dishonest in his arguments, but i think that comes from varying ratios of cognative dissonance and ends-justifying-the-means thinking.

That's doesn't justify the means to be dishonest.

I've never had to resort to lying about scientific explanations of the natural world or why the bible is a crock and illustrates and condones the actions of an immoral god.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:iwbiek wrote:i

redneF wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

i will say this about comfort: i don't think there's an ounce of cynicism or alterior motive there.

iwbiek wrote:
he is frequently dishonest in his arguments, but i think that comes from varying ratios of cognative dissonance and ends-justifying-the-means thinking.

I've never had to resort to lying about scientific explanations of the natural world or why the bible is a crock and illustrates and condones the actions of an immoral god.

well, there's a difference between cynicism and dishonesty.  a person can fool themselves in believing that they're fudging facts for the right reasons, if they're blindly idealistic, which i think comfort is.  if they're blind enough, they start to believe their own lies almost immediately, and i think he falls into this category as well.

i don't know what his ulterior motives could be.  despite nightline, he's not terribly famous.  there are even plenty of evangelical christians who have never heard of him.  those christian leaders who know about him generally shun him as an extremist, since he believes salvation consists of repenting of our sins solely to avoid the wrath of god and that those who convert for feel-good reasons (longing for acceptance, etc.) are usually "false converts."

if he's making a ton of money, he's hiding it well.  he dresses like he just came out of a j.c. penny's in 1995.  and did you see the photo in the news of kirk blowing out his birthday candles in the wotm conference room?  the little church i grew up in has a nicer conference room than that.

my point was that he believes in his message 100%.  i don't think you could even say that for kent hovind.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It'd be nice to have a

It'd be nice to have a foolproof method to find out if belief is even possible. As a lifelong scientific atheist I can't rule out the possibility, but neither can I comprehend the mind set that theists live in. As a result, I find myself in the position of being unable to believe in the belief of a god any more than I can believe in a god. Perhaps they're all lying to themselves, before they lie to others.

In this, ex-theists have an advantage over me, because they know (presumably) whether or not they actually ever believed. All I can do is observe. But observation isn't sufficient. I have no way of testing belief in belief, let alone belief itself.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:redneF

iwbiek wrote:

redneF wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

well, there's a difference between cynicism and dishonesty.  a person can fool themselves in believing that they're fudging facts for the right reasons, if they're blindly idealistic, which i think comfort is.  if they're blind enough, they start to believe their own lies almost immediately, and i think he falls into this category as well.

i don't know what his ulterior motives could be. 

The same as sinners: 

Moola.

iwbiek wrote:
...despite nightline, he's not terribly famous. 

How small do you think a 'small' slice of American Pie is?...

iwbiek wrote:
...there are even plenty of evangelical christians who have never heard of him. 

Why do you think he's willing to pay Richard Dawkins $20,000.00 to debate him?

http://www.pulltheplugonatheism.com/

" Comfort not only apologizes for the illustration, he also offers Richard Dawkins $20,000 to debate him on the existence of God. You won't believe what Dawkins says... " : Pull The Plug On Atheism . com

iwbiek wrote:
 ...if he's making a ton of money, he's hiding it well.

That's what Kent Hovind did for quite a while.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/16451/kent-hovind-dr-dino-guilty-on-all-counts

"-Kent Hovind, founder of Creation Science Evangelism and Dinosaur Adventure Land in Pensacola, was found guilty of 58 counts, including failure to pay $845,000 in employee-related taxes.

-Jo Hovind was charged and convicted in 44 of the counts involving evading bank-reporting requirements.

-Counts one through 12 include Kent Hovind’s alleged failure to collect nearly $470,000 in employee taxes.

-Counts 13 through 57 include both Kent and Jo Hovind. They are charged with structuring cash transactions of $430,500 to avoid reporting requirements.

-The jury also granted the prosecution’s request for the Hovinds to forfeit $430,400. That amount equals the value of the checks signed and cashed by Jo Hovind in the 44 counts.

-Count 58 includes the following charges against Kent Hovind:

-Filing a frivolous lawsuit against the IRS, demanding damages for criminal trespass.

-Filing an injunction against an IRS agent.

-Making threats against investigators and those cooperating with the investigation.

-Filing false complaints against the IRS for false arrest, excessive use of force and theft."

Have you checked out Ray Comfort's 'The Way Of The Master' website?

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

You even get your own 'shopping cart'...lol

There's an awful lot of SKU's there.

http://www.livingwaters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=199

Then there's the 'Ambassadors Alliance' Evangelism training academy

And they have all the angles covered for becoming a *cough* partner in Jesus

https://www.livingwaters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=322&Itemid=266

From their website:

Credit Cards

Partner   

This is the most convenient way to make a donation to the ministry. You may process your donation by going to our secure credit card processing page (click the above Partner Button), or over the phone with one of our ministry representatives by calling our toll free number (800) 437-1893. If you are placing an order for evangelism resources, you may also request that your donation be added to your current order. Our customer service representatives are always at your service to help you in any way.

Cash or Check

This remains the most straight-forward method for getting your support to us. Click here to download our mail-in donation form. Please mail all donations to:

Living Waters
Attn: Finance & Accounting
9818 Arkansas St
Bellflower CA 90706

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

For those who would rather not use a credit card, we are able to debit the amount of your gift directly from your checking account. Please click here to download our EFT Form for instructions on utilizing this option.

Stock or Securities Donations

Partners who wish to make a donation in the form of marketable stocks or securities may do so through our broker, Ken VanWagenen, with Wells Fargo. Please notify our offices at xxxx  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  prior to making the transfer, so we can make sure everything moves along smoothly. See Wells Fargo information below:

Wells Fargo DTC: 0733
Acct Name & #: LIVING WATERS PUBLIC [89276202]
Phone: 213.253.3546 or 213.253.3014

Address:
Wells Fargo Investments
Private Client Services
Attn: Ken Van Wagenen
333 South Grand Ave., Suite 510
Los Angeles, CA 90071

Planned Giving

Planned, or deferred, gifts can provide significant benefits to you and your loved ones now and in the future, while offering financial support for Living Waters and its outreaches for generations to come. Typical estate gifts include life insurance, retirement assets and bequests. However, a planned gift could also be a way for a donor with non-liquid assets to make a gift today. To begin a conversation about how you may help Living Waters with an estate or planned gift, please contact our Director of Donor Relations, Alan Pearson, personally at xxxx  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  or 562-207-2283.

Living Waters does not provide tax, legal, or financial advice. We strongly encourage donors to seek counsel from their own legal and financial advisors for all legal and tax aspects pertaining to the structure of their gifts.

Property and Other types of Gifts

We are thankful for any support that the Lord might supply through you. If you are considering a special or unique type of gift, please give us a call first, so we can make sure that we have the facilities to receive your gift, and have a way of putting it to its best use for the furtherance of the gospel. Please be aware that it may be impractical or impossible for us to receive certain types of gifts, so please be sure to contact us before making any arrangements for transfer.

Donation of Cars, Boats, etc.
Living Waters has partnered with Cars 4 Cause to handle your donation of such assets.  Given the time and transfer documents often involved, Cars 4 Causes seems a logical choice.  If you would like to donate your vehicle or boat to Living Waters, please click on the Cars 4 Causes link below, and you will be taken to our Living Waters page on their website.

PayPal and Ebay Giving Works
Living Waters is listed as a charity under Ebay's Giving Works Program. You may go to the Giving Works page on Ebay's website, and designate a gift of any amount to Living Waters as part of a sale, purchase, or a one-time gift through the Donate Now tab. Donations made through the Giving Works Program may be paid via a PayPal account.

Questions or Making Changes

If you have questions regarding the ministry, in relation to becoming a partner, please feel free to contact our Director of Donor Relations, Alan Pearson at xxxx This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  or 562-207-2283.

If you are already a financial partner and need to make any changes to your Partner information, please email those changes to xxxxx  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , or call our Finance & Accounting Department at 562-207-2281. If you would like us to contact you, please send your request with a day, time and number which is most convenient for you.

We know that continuing to be good stewards of the resources God has granted each of us is the desire of believers around the world. Our hope is to help you do just that. By partnering with us in fulfilling the Great Commission, our reach across the globe becomes YOUR reach across the globe. As the Lord’s provision, your continued support enables you, through the ministry, to plant the seeds of the gospel in the hearts of the lost, and equip laborers for the task worldwide.

Note: All gifts and donations are tax deductible in the United States to the full extent allowed by law. Living Waters Publications is a U.S. 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and our outreaches, such as the Way of the Master and the Ambassadors’ Alliance, are ministries of Living Waters. Our U.S. tax ID number is 27-0094016.

iwbiek wrote:
...my point was that he believes in his message 100%. 

I believe he thinks he can do much 'good'.

I strongly doubt him and I would agree with what his definition of 'good' entails...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It'd be nice to

Vastet wrote:
It'd be nice to have a foolproof method to find out if belief is even possible. As a lifelong scientific atheist I can't rule out the possibility, but neither can I comprehend the mind set that theists live in. As a result, I find myself in the position of being unable to believe in the belief of a god any more than I can believe in a god. Perhaps they're all lying to themselves, before they lie to others. In this, ex-theists have an advantage over me, because they know (presumably) whether or not they actually ever believed. All I can do is observe. But observation isn't sufficient. I have no way of testing belief in belief, let alone belief itself.

I fully believed in god as I was taught from the bible, taught from infancy. If I had doubts I attributed it to my sinful nature or the devil trying to steal my soul. But I don't think it was doubt about god's existence but more in line with do I believe my church is the true church. Can I be deceived? There is a god and for sure Jesus is him, but what if I was wrong about the details. Even the disciples misunderstood his mission, so the story goes, until after the resurrection.

I remember studying the skies each day looking for Jesus to return. Shit the more I think, even after I left the ministry I was still a committed believer. It probably was in the past 7-10 years I started to take a hard look at it and it was quite fearful to allow me to think in those terms. Belief is all a sinner has per the bible. You let go of that what do you have?

All Christians carry that same doubt but it probably is not grand scale as to whether there is a god or not, but are they right with god (e.g. Is the church telling me the truth? how can I know if I am saved? ) Ray Comfort has doubts and I bet he would agree he has, but he would quickly revert to I am a sinner and this test of faith will make me stronger. Stuff like that.

Here is my de-conversion progression.

1) I rather be in hell with friends than be in heaven with Jesus' followers. They really were annoying me. It was become more fake to me. 

2)  Why god are you letting all this horror happen and sit idly by? (this god, jehovah, is one mean prick) The bible really rips at your faith.

3) Jehovah as shown in the bible cannot exist. it is totally man-made. If there was a god he would be better than us. Jehovah/Jesus is not.

4) All gods are man-made

5) if there is a god he must be a life force, deism

6) No evidence of any of it - I am an atheist.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The way I look at it, doubt

The way I look at it, doubt is evidence of a lack of belief. The inability to truly and completely accept something as true, regardless of the evidence or lack-there-of. I have absolutely no doubt about the things I know. Nor the things I believe. On occasion something I believed was proven wrong and I adjusted accordingly, but until the proof was laid out, there was no doubt.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, it is dependent on

Well, it is dependent on how outlandish what one believes in. Bible stories are quite outlandish with no evidence of such things happening today. I have debated that with Christians. I asked them where are the biblical miracles today? Have they seen someone rising from the dead after rigor mortis has set it, or giving someone sight after they were blind from birth, or even predicting global disasters accurately (they certainly keep trying on that one). Someone did tell me that their father had cancer had days to live and they prayed over him. Then all of sudden a nurse came running down the hallway stating the last cat scan showed all the cancer was completely gone. But they went silent when I started questioning it and broke off the conversation. But mostly all I get is they prayed to meet someone and fall in love (duh-evolution handles that) or get a job (it happens). The correct response is to nod and say how wonderful. Anything else and the mood quickly changes. People do not like their delusion blankee taken away.

But that contrast of bible stories and real life has fundamental Christianity living on hype. They have to continue to stir up their congregations (so change falls out of their pants and purses into the collection plates). Doom, gloom and Jesus coming back. You can only take so much of that before you go WTF. These are some of the annoying believers I was referring to earlier. Your suspension of disbelief is all you can offer to this god. So, you have to have doubts and certainly have to wrestle with them all the time. But that is clearly laid out in the bible and is to be expected. It is associated with the believers sinful nature which is the first selling point of the grand marketing scheme. You know Comfort's favorite bit - "have you ever told a lie, have you ever had lust in your heart...." First get them to buy they are a sinner, then provide the snake oil. It is true I told a lie and had lust and that one day I will die. No doubt. Oh, there is Someone that will forgive me if I ask and live eternally? Well, there must be a god. Its Jehovah. OK, simple enough. Now where do I get baptized and what else do I need to learn and know. Here is another rule, OK, thank you. This is another step I would add to above. The rules, oh my Enki, they just build and build. Very burdensome. You got to dress a certain way, think a certain way, feel a certain way, talk a certain way, vote a certain way.... My problem was I kept wanting to know more and it does become crushing. You can erect only so many facades. 

However,  if you start out a scientific atheist you don' t have to believe outlandish things. You get physical confirmation. I can see how doubt wouldn't have been part of your upbringing. Science doesn't have such hype around it. It is thoughtful & reflective. I am envious of that. I had one badass lost weekend that raged on for decades.

What is the most outlandish thing you have ever believed? Is there anything you believe now and have doubts about?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't really come up with

I can't really come up with anything significant. I vaguely recall getting into an argument with my sister over the classification of whales as mammals when I was maybe 6 or 7, with me being wrong. But then I knew it at the time, I was simply too angry to admit it. A good experience though, as it was one of the incidents that showed me how irrational one can be when emotions run high.
Next closest was an attempt as a child to reach out to a god during a scary incident, but the incident was resolved without any apparent divine intervention, and reaching out in said fashion didn't comfort me during the interim.
Next closest was a hypothesis on the relation between time and temperature that I came up with while smoking weed more than a decade ago, but I never actually believed it either. Mostly because the hypothesis had no way of being tested.
I'm relatively sure I have at least one or two posts here that have me being proved wrong on some point or another, but not in any spectacular way.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose the only thing

I suppose the only thing that REALLY qualifies are my mistaken characterisations of people. Not a common occurrence, and it's gotten rarer as I get older, but occasionally I'd believe someone had character traits that they were later shown not to have, or vice versa.
But I wouldn't quite describe any of those mistakes as outlandish, merely naive or opti/pessimistic.