oops sorry dude, missed that

oops sorry dude, missed that one :S

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Orias wrote:oops sorry dude,

Orias wrote:
oops sorry dude, missed that one :S

No no no, you misunderstood. I created the video page after you posted it. Good call= good find

Credit goes to you man. I'm 45 minutes through it, the best part so far just passed at the 35 minute mark. A long list of similiarities between Horus and Jesus, he sounds like a broken record comparing the similarities.

Orias
Orias's picture
User is offlineOffline
ahh righto then! Cheers for

ahh righto then! Cheers for the kudos Smiling

I think it's a good suppliment to The God movie... goes into a lot of depth.

"...then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods..." - The Serpent, Genesis 3:5

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good find Orias.

Good find Orias.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

gdon
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:I created the

Sapient wrote:
I created the video page after you posted it. Good call= good find

Oh, for heaven's sake. That video is so full of crap that not even the Dept of Sanitation could flush it away. It's like "the God Who Wasn't There", only with better hair. Didn't you learn ANYTHING from that fiasco? How about actually looking into what the author is saying for once? Sheesh!

You know, you are so gullible, they were going to write a book about you, called "Gullible's travels". Honestly, do you ever stop to think "Hey, this sounds too good to be true! Maybe I better think about this!" You only open your mouth to change feet. I'm still laughing at your "Jesus was an old man at 30!" When I mention the RRS on other boards, they just snigger and laugh. Your "historical person" challenge is infamous. You are part of the pseudo-intellectualism that is developing due to the Internet -- allowing uncritical bullshit to be spread around, because you can't get off your lazy ass (which doubles as your lazy brain -- or is that vice versa?) to do some honest investigation for once, instead of accepting any half-baked crap and pushing it simply because it appeals to you. Stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution! The Internet NEEDS a RRS that investigates these claims, and not just spreads them around.

"Jesus an old man at 30!" And then you tried to defend it! Oh man, that was so funny.

About the only thing going for you is Richard Carrier. Hey, did you tell Richard that people were old men at 30 in those days? Why not just hand the show over to him full-time? Then you can come on as comedy relief.

Sapient wrote:
Credit goes to you man. I'm 45 minutes through it, the best part so far just passed at the 35 minute mark. A long list of similiarities between Horus and Jesus, he sounds like a broken record comparing the similarities.

Hey, no shit, Sherlock! Ever wonder why that may be the case? If you had half-a-brain, it would be lonely. You are so stupid, that to call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead. The cage is swinging but the parrot has left the building. When someone says that "no-one could be that stupid", you take that as a personal challenge. You're an oxygen thief. Stop using the oxygen that someone may need to fire up their brain in the future!

Here's a joke I read recently, that your teeny-weeny mind may enjoy, since it is about religion:

A sixteen year-old virgin girl has a bad day, so she goes to visit her priest after hours in his office. Late that evening, she goes to his office for guidance and confession.
"Father, I called a man a son-of-a-***** yesterday."
" Why did you call him a son-of-a-*****?" the priest asked.
" Because, Father, he touched me on my arm without permission."
" Do you mean like this?" he asked, as he touched her arm.
" Yes, Father."
" That's no reason for calling him a son-of-a-*****."
" But, Father, he also touched my breasts."
" Do you mean like this?" he asked, as he touched her breasts.
" Yes, Father."
" That's no reason to call him a son-of-a-*****."
" But, Father, he took off my clothes."
" Do you mean like this?" he asked, as he removed her clothes.
" Yes, father."
" But, Father, then he put his you-know-what in my you-know-where."
" Do you mean like this?" he asked, as he put his you-know-what in her you-know-where."
" Yes, Father."
" But, Father, he has herpes!
Remarked the Father, "That son-of-a-*****!

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into." -- Author unknown

floatingegg
User is offlineOffline
I don't care for gdon's

I don't care for gdon's presentation, but I do agree that there seem to be some serious problems with this video. While looking up some of its claims I came across the following blog post:

Quote:

http://biblioblography.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_biblioblography_archive.html

Sadly, for an episode titled the ‘Naked Truth’ it contained so many errors, I couldn’t finish it.

A perfect example of how NOT to debunk xtianity.

It begins with the usual: how religion has proven itself to be violent and savage, even up to the present climes. No argument. It spends a small amount of time pointing out how we use the pyramid, the cornerstone of said pyramid being the top, Yesu Christo claiming himself the ‘cornerstone’ of the faith, etc. However, upon looking up the word ‘cornerstone’, answers.com gives us this: “Ceremonial building block, dated or otherwise inscribed, usually placed in an outer wall of a building to commemorate its dedication. Often the stone is hollowed out to contain newspapers, photographs, or other documents reflecting current customs, with a view to their historical use when the building is remodeled or demolished. Originally placed at a corner, the stone may today be placed elsewhere on the facade.” Hmmm…said video claimed the cornerstone was the apex of the pyramid. Incorrect.

Then the video gives a very poor translation of the word ‘Dalai Lama’, claiming of all things, that Lama is some sort of transposition of the word ‘sheep’, when nothing could be farther from the truth. (Confusing a Lhama with a sheep, when it is in fact a closer cousin of the camel, shows a complete lack of biological acumen).
“Dalai" means "ocean" in Mongolian, and "Lama" (bla ma) is the Tibetan equivalent of the Sanskrit word "guru", and so may mean "teacher" or "monk." Incorrect again.

It also claims that the ‘waters of chaos’ constitutes the ‘Argha-noa’, thereby providing the ‘ark of Noah’ with some historical background. Alas, this is incorrect as well: my google search only came up with ten (or so) hits, all of these in direct relation to this film. Again, no citations.

It then shifts focus to a now-debunked book (which it doesn’t cite, but which I recognized the content of), one The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors, of which the Wiki entry states:” The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors, or Christianity Before Christ was an 1875 book written by 19th century lecturer and sceptic Kersey Graves. It alleges that Jesus was a mythical figure, largely based on earlier tales of saviours who had been crucified.
Much of the mythology in the book contradicts established facts about various mythologies mentioned, and several of the beliefs alleged to coincide with Christianity post-date Christianity's advent.
It has been noted that Graves derived "many of the most important facts collated in this work" from the comprehensive 1833 work, the Anacalypsis, by Sir Godfrey Higgins.”

Now, while I’m a big proponent of the parallelization of Eastern mythologies and texts with the Judeo-xtian literature, I’m also a big fan of research, facts, and the truth, naked or clothed. There’s no doubt in my mind that the ancient Israelites did indeed do copious borrowing from surrounding cultures, but by no means does that give us artistic license to go about cobbling up pet theories based on the slimmest of clues. For instance: my longtime research into Buddhism has never revealed the ‘story’ of him being born of a virgin, any more than my reading of the Bhagavad-gita has led to the discovery of Krishna being born of one, either.

(Here’s an item that bears mentioning: I recall coming across this statement some years ago, which I found interesting, in the Upanishads – Man does not live by breath alone, but by him in whom is the power of breath.” – Written some centuries precedent to the alleged ‘blessed event’.)

While there is no doubt in my mind, that the concept of the Immaculate Deception was borrowed from Hellenistic traditions, the ancient Hebrews used their own inhibitions to give it a unique spin.

It was, however, the change of focus from the community to the individual (Hellenistic) that gave rise to the ‘personalized’ Messiah as opposed to the communal one. Ergo, some convenient retrofitting had to be done, and quickly too. But that subject is outside the scope of this analysis.

Facts, people, facts! Let’s not give the theists more ammo than they already have.

Or, as Friday on Dragnet used to say: “Just the facts, ma’am.”

That’s my nickel’s worth, anyways.

gdon
Theist
User is offlineOffline
floatingegg wrote:I don't

floatingegg wrote:
I don't care for gdon's presentation, but I do agree that there seem to be some serious problems with this video. While looking up some of its claims I came across the following blog post:

Now if Brian could have started out with some kind of disclaimer, rather than calling it a "good find", then well and good. But I'm just so pissed off with Brian's ignorance and stupidity. There are so many howlers in there that even a bonehead like Brian should have picked up on them. I mean, come on! What's stopping the sides of his head from touching in the middle? Nothing as far as I can see.

It's time to start calling things as they are -- Mike and Rook are okay on their day, but Brian Sapient has the critical ability of a gnat. It's like he's just watching with mouth open and brain turned off. Fair dinkum, if blatant stupidity were a green house gas, the polar icecaps would have been melted by Brian alone.

This is a comment on the Infidelguy website on the "Naked Truth":

This is a very poor example of advocacy for the non-religious viewpoint. The host starts right out with unsubstantiated evidence, ad hominim attacks, and a general incitement to fear and hatred. Similar to the most despicable tactics of religious zealotry. The scholarship is very poor... I am only a third of the way through the video, but had to respond to it now since the crap is flying fast and furious. It is, so far, such a shameful display of biased nonsense that I can almost believe that it was created by Christian extremists in an attempt to discredit secularism.

That video is such a huge pile of crap, even I'm embarrassed for Brian. Brian, you must be one of the stupidest and most ignorant people on the planet to get even part way into that crap and not see it for what it is. I'm so pissed off right now.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into." -- Author unknown

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Floatingegg, thanks for

Floatingegg, thanks for offering the constructive criticism of the movie.

Gdon, your post is a perfect example of how to violate the rules of our board. It will remain as an example to others of what will not be tolerated (it should be deleted).

We ask people to at least make an attempt to debate a position rather than insult someone for theirs. Your post offered little to no evidence of what you're reporting and was merely a barrage of insults. Pull a stunt like that again on any poster, and you'll be removed from the board, including your violating post.

Here again are the board rules.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I've had enough. I'll

Ok, I've had enough. I'll leave your most recent post for the audience and my co-mods. If any of them want you back, I'll re-open your account. I doubt any of them will want you back, but if ANY of them want you back, you're account will be reinstated.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nah nah nah nah.... hey hey

Nah nah nah nah.... hey hey hey.... goodbye. Peace

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I typed that immediately

I typed that immediately after gdon's post by the way. Brian got his type first though! Sticking out tongue

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I typed

MattShizzle wrote:
I typed that immediately after gdon's post by the way. Brian got his type first though! :P

LOL, good call. Yes his post was certainly more of the same. But what do I know? I'm one of the stupidest people on the planet. Shocked

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You were way more than fair

You were way more than fair with him. He pulled his shit a long time.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woot, gdon's gone...woot

Woot, gdon's gone...woot gdons gone....

Oh sorry...no, I don't think I want him back. Ever.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:You were

MattShizzle wrote:
You were way more than fair with him. He pulled his shit a long time.

I don't think we've discussed this publicly, but our team has a long history with Gdon. Rook has had a distaste for his intellectually dishonest ad hoc style of argumentation since well before we started RRS. I remember when Gdon joined the RRS site several months ago. I mentioned to Rook, "Oh look you're buddy Gdon joined." Rook replied, "Oh good, can we ban him now?" Had I said to Rook, "sure, let's ban him" I'm positive Rook would not have stopped me. Instead Rook and I had a long conversation about why we need to allow fundamentalists like Gdon to partake in our board (even if he hides under a supposed veil of skepticism). Little did Gdon know, I'm the main reason he was allowed to remain on this forum for so long, but maybe this was me showing I'm one of the stupidest people on the planet. Eye-wink

And to think, I've left the door open to my partners to let him back in... I must be stupid. Sticking out tongue

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:Woot,

Rook_Hawkins wrote:
Woot, gdon's gone...woot gdons gone....

Oh sorry...no, I don't think I want him back. Ever.

I was writing my story above while you created this post, you just got your post in first. There's a lot of that going on in this thread, must be something in the water... oh shit, it's Gdon... he's infected the water!!!

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
See, more evidence that you

See, more evidence that you are the stupidest person in the world for not letting me go at him and holding me back all these months. If your brain was a microwave, we'd all have burnt chicken soup! Eye-wink

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Oh shit that's right, I

Oh shit that's right, I forgot, all those times you wanted to lay into him and I suggested a calm, pleasant, and kind approach. Sheesh, I must be one of the stupidest people on the planet!

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
See? And you were like, "No

See? And you were like, "No Rook, he's been pleasant, although dishonest, don't go off on him. Be calm. Don't get all in-your-face" and todangst was like, "You should tone down this, and change this to that for a more kindly read..." blah blah.

No, don't listen to Rook Hawkins. He's just a historian who knows how history repeats itself...what would he possibly know? Raised Brow

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Oh well, as Elmer Fudd most

Oh well, as Elmer Fudd most eloquently put it "Good Widdance to bad wubbish." Laughing out loud

Orias
Orias's picture
User is offlineOffline
JESUS! haha I go to work for

JESUS! haha I go to work for a few hours and all hell breaks loose! Laughing out loud

And this is only my second post! haha!

"...then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods..." - The Serpent, Genesis 3:5

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
gdon wrote:Sapient wrote:I

gdon wrote:
Sapient wrote:
I created the video page after you posted it. Good call= good find

Oh, for heaven's sake. That video is so full of crap that not even the Dept of Sanitation could flush it away. It's like "the God Who Wasn't There", only with better hair. Didn't you learn ANYTHING from that fiasco? How about actually looking into what the author is saying for once? Sheesh!

You know, you are so gullible, they were going to write a book about you, called "Gullible's travels". Honestly, do you ever stop to think "Hey, this sounds too good to be true! Maybe I better think about this!"

What an ironic complaint coming from a theist.

Quote:

You only open your mouth to change feet. I'm still laughing at your "Jesus was an old man at 30!" When I mention the RRS on other boards, they just snigger and laugh.

I really thought you were a more mature man than this... I'm honestly surprised to see this behavior from you.

Quote:

Your "historical person" challenge is infamous. You are part of the pseudo-intellectualism that is developing due to the Internet -- allowing uncritical bullshit to be spread around, because you can't get off your lazy ass (which doubles as your lazy brain -- or is that vice versa?) to do some honest investigation for once, instead of accepting any half-baked crap and pushing it simply because it appeals to you.

You make this complaint all the time, that you're real interest is in setting the record straight.

Yet when a problem in your own posts is pointed out to you, you seem loathe to correct it.

You seem pretty frustrated and angry - your post comes off like road rage - a temper tantrum, more than anything else... which is rather hypocritical considering that your main point here is that you'd like to see more scholarly discussion on the internet....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
gdon wrote:floatingegg

gdon wrote:
floatingegg wrote:

Now if Brian could have started out with some kind of disclaimer, rather than calling it a "good find", then well and good. But I'm just so pissed off with Brian's ignorance and stupidity. There are so many howlers in there that even a bonehead like Brian should have picked up on them. I mean, come on! What's stopping the sides of his head from touching in the middle? Nothing as far as I can see.

It's time to start calling things as they are -- Mike and Rook are okay on their day, but Brian Sapient has the critical ability of a gnat. It's like he's just watching with mouth open and brain turned off. Fair dinkum, if blatant stupidity were a green house gas, the polar icecaps would have been melted by Brian alone.

This is a comment on the Infidelguy website on the "Naked Truth":

This is a very poor example of advocacy for the non-religious viewpoint. The host starts right out with unsubstantiated evidence, ad hominim attacks, and a general incitement to fear and hatred. Similar to the most despicable tactics of religious zealotry. The scholarship is very poor... I am only a third of the way through the video, but had to respond to it now since the crap is flying fast and furious. It is, so far, such a shameful display of biased nonsense that I can almost believe that it was created by Christian extremists in an attempt to discredit secularism.

That video is such a huge pile of crap, even I'm embarrassed for Brian. Brian, you must be one of the stupidest and most ignorant people on the planet to get even part way into that crap and not see it for what it is.

Again, this is coming from the guy who's making a call for scholarly discussion on the net.

Quote:

I'm so pissed off right now.

I don't think it was necessary to make this final point, I was able to infer it.

Gdon, here's something you might want to consider: as much as there are problems in some anti-apologetics, whatever errors you might find in them pale in comparison to the irrational ad hoc nonsense you see in apologetics. Yet you only seem able to raise your ire over problems with the former, and not the latter.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst your posts always

Todangst your posts always wow me.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
It disappoints me when

It disappoints me when proponents of a rational cause resort to faulty argumentation. If it ever happens again, I may just have to purify our ranks through the age-old Roman practice of decimation.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Insidium Profundis wrote:It

Insidium Profundis wrote:
It disappoints me when proponents of a rational cause resort to faulty argumentation. If it ever happens again, I may just have to purify our ranks through the age-old Roman practice of decimation.

LOL, that could be directed at just about any poster in this thread including leveling that charge at the video. Could you be more specific? (you don't have to, just curious)