Is Atheism a religion?

Ry
Posts: 36
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

No.

If not believing in a god is a religion (or a belief) then let's look at all the things people DON'T believe in.

I don't believe in purple cupcake monsters. Does that make me in the religion of not-believing in purple cup cake monsters?

No.

It is not a belief I was born not believing in purple cup cake monsters and I was born not believeing is Athena or Allah oe Yahweh or any of the other gods.

--------------------------------
EDITED IN BY SAPIENT: Last night Rook and I recorded a segment about atheism and how it isn't a belief, there is also a few minutes about the war on Easter. The free download is 20 minutes and is here: RIGHT CLICK, SAVE TARGET AS!

Warning, religiousity increases the risk of religious terrorism.

www.anti-neocons.com or www.Rys2sense.com


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

I believe in the Flying Spagghetti Monster. Pastafarianism...all the way baby.


Ry
Posts: 36
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

come on now everyone knows the the flying spaggetti moneter is part of the NWO. He is "pasta" aka Italin aka Mafia. (never mind spaggetti comes from China that's just what evil poeple who read books think.) He flys around kinda like a "spaceship" huh? And he collects "pirates" this is a symbol for people who are outside society who can see through the sheeple and know about the illuminuts and the 13 wiat now it is 15 families who rule the planet form their space ship in the sky (the monster). The food refference mean they want to eat us. Pastafarianism is an alien word for keep spread entertaining disinformation and ignoring the facts about Israel.

lol pretty good huh?

Warning, religiousity increases the risk of religious terrorism.

www.anti-neocons.com or www.Rys2sense.com


CynageN
Posts: 101
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Well put. Atheism is not a religion.. it's the absence of.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Not to nitpick Cynagen, because you rock, but technically atheism is the absence of theism, not religion. Like Buddhists who have a religion, but are atheists.

Now most people define religion as only that which has to do with a diety, and I suppose in that sense it could still be the absence of religion.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


CynageN
Posts: 101
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

I define religion as not only beliving in a god, but having a belief system that follows.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

CynageN wrote:
I define religion as not only beliving in a god, but having a belief system that follows.

I agree with that. It's dictionary.com definition #4 that alwasy gets me. Rook and Jake always like to say that 4 is an extension of the first 3, and if that is so, then belief systems without deities aren't religion (as you are positing). I joke, that if definition 4 suffices as religion, then I could be said to go to the bathroom religiously or eat food religiously, or work on the computer religiously. Eye-wink

For reference here's what I'm referring to:

re?li?gion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
n.

1.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


CynageN
Posts: 101
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

That's true. I'm told I'm an asshole religiously. :smt066


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

CynageN wrote:
That's true. I'm told I'm an asshole religiously. :smt066

strange...I get that from theists myself... the religiosity of assholiness.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Samuel
Samuel's picture
Posts: 121
Joined: 2006-02-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Is atheism a religion?!

Listen up everyone, I'll answer this question flat out.

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair style.

Period.


Atheist
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-04-06
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Theism is a belief in as god?
Antonym
Atheism is a lack of a belief in a god?

Religious is adhering to a belief in a supernaturally based philosophy?
Antonym
Secular is not adhering to a belief in a religion?

Philosophy is a set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity, which may or may not have supernatural parts.

It?s possible, though I haven?t seen it, to have a secular theist, or even a religious atheist.

Most people whom title themselves atheists are also secular atheists, and most people whom call themselves religious are religious theists.

I guess that would make me a secular atheist philosopher.

I added the philosopher part because I follow some philosophies to some extent. One of those I adhere to is Naturalism. I believe that everything can be explained with out the need of anything supernatural.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan


Catholicism
Posts: 1
Joined: 2006-05-29
User is offlineOffline
Re: Is Atheism a religion?

Ry wrote:
No.

If not believing in a god is a religion (or a belief) then let's look at all the things people DON'T believe in.

I don't believe in purple cupcake monsters. Does that make me in the religion of not-believing in purple cup cake monsters?

No.

It is not a belief I was born not believing in purple cup cake monsters and I was born not believeing is Athena or Allah oe Yahweh or any of the other gods.

--------------------------------
EDITED IN BY SAPIENT: Last night Rook and I recorded a segment about atheism and how it isn't a belief, there is also a few minutes about the war on Easter. The free download is 20 minutes and is here: RIGHT CLICK, SAVE TARGET AS!

You forgot to define a religion. If religion is any belief pertaining to the supernatural then Atheism is a religion because it is a belief that states that something of the supernatural(God) does not exist.

But for most other definitions of religion Atheism is not a religion.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

I would define religion as believing that something supernatural does exist. I'm sure this definition has problems too: You can believe in ghosts, and not have a religion, for example. Guess "religion" is just one of those hard to define words, like "game", "sport", etc. Any definition you come up with will leave some things that fit the category out, or include some things that don't fit (probably both.) But you know what it is when you see it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
Posts: 55
Joined: 2006-04-09
User is offlineOffline
Re: Is Atheism a religion?

Catholicism wrote:
Ry wrote:
No.

If not believing in a god is a religion (or a belief) then let's look at all the things people DON'T believe in.

I don't believe in purple cupcake monsters. Does that make me in the religion of not-believing in purple cup cake monsters?

No.

It is not a belief I was born not believing in purple cup cake monsters and I was born not believeing is Athena or Allah oe Yahweh or any of the other gods.

--------------------------------
EDITED IN BY SAPIENT: Last night Rook and I recorded a segment about atheism and how it isn't a belief, there is also a few minutes about the war on Easter. The free download is 20 minutes and is here: RIGHT CLICK, SAVE TARGET AS!

You forgot to define a religion. If religion is any belief pertaining to the supernatural then Atheism is a religion because it is a belief that states that something of the supernatural(God) does not exist.

But for most other definitions of religion Atheism is not a religion.

Welcome, Catholicism.

I think several posts above, Sapient went out of his way to offer a dictionary definition of what "religion" entails. I also recommend downloading and listening to the provided Mp3 audio to get a gist for what these gentlemen hold as their primary characterization of atheism, which on their view seems to only require the "absence of belief" in a God as opposed to the positive affirmation in the non-existence of God, as you alluded to just now.

But I don't think atheism rises to the level of a worldview, rather it's existence depends on the denial of one. We might suppose then that an atheist in our Western context is probably going to embrace something like Secular Humanism to take its place; the US Supreme Court did rule in 1961 that it legally qualified as a religion of a kind, and so we may inquire as to whether an atheist is also going to embrace Secular Humanism and its attending principles as well before proceeding in discussion.

One thing I do find interesting though is that "atheism" could still feasibly be considered a religious view, if for no other reason than because the subject it intends to address happens to be distinctly religious in nature.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

The file no longer exists for that mp3.


LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
Posts: 1199
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Re: Is Atheism a religion?

Catholicism wrote:
Ry wrote:
No.

If not believing in a god is a religion (or a belief) then let's look at all the things people DON'T believe in.

I don't believe in purple cupcake monsters. Does that make me in the religion of not-believing in purple cup cake monsters?

No.

It is not a belief I was born not believing in purple cup cake monsters and I was born not believeing is Athena or Allah oe Yahweh or any of the other gods.

--------------------------------
EDITED IN BY SAPIENT: Last night Rook and I recorded a segment about atheism and how it isn't a belief, there is also a few minutes about the war on Easter. The free download is 20 minutes and is here: RIGHT CLICK, SAVE TARGET AS!

You forgot to define a religion. If religion is any belief pertaining to the supernatural then Atheism is a religion because it is a belief that states that something of the supernatural(God) does not exist.

But for most other definitions of religion Atheism is not a religion.

Read this for MY definition.
http://www.rys2sense.com/anti-neocons/viewtopic.php?t=794

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.


Crazywumbat
Posts: 5
Joined: 2006-05-02
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Well I guess this article would fit in here, its written by Jim Marcus of the band Die Warzau...the beginning is sorta all over the place, as are most of his writings, but he always manages to tie a number of unrelated topics together in the end.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=3826132&blogID=64665608&Mytoken=8848B7BF-10BF-4F04-837DB99FF79AB4161043797453

"Cause like...we're all gods children, but if you're not white...well...I mean it's like you're gods step-child."


qwak
Posts: 124
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Jim Marcus still exists?! damn..

dammit, now I gotta dig up my die warzau disc..


Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
Posts: 55
Joined: 2006-04-09
User is offlineOffline
Re: Is Atheism a religion?

LeftofLarry wrote:
Read this for MY definition.
http://www.rys2sense.com/anti-neocons/viewtopic.php?t=794

LeftofLarry,

Thanks for your input here. I was looking through the relevant portion of your writing, and noticed you included Pantheism in the list of "theisms". But I don't know that there's really any God to speak of in such a system. At least not the sort that would be germane to that which atheism is intended to oppose. I know one can speak of "Ultimate Reality", "The Ultimate" or "Oneness with all", but on a monistic view of the universe, can there be any such distinction between creator/creation?


shorty
Posts: 120
Joined: 2006-05-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Sapient wrote:
CynageN wrote:
I define religion as not only beliving in a god, but having a belief system that follows.

I agree with that. It's dictionary.com definition #4 that alwasy gets me. Rook and Jake always like to say that 4 is an extension of the first 3, and if that is so, then belief systems without deities aren't religion (as you are positing). I joke, that if definition 4 suffices as religion, then I could be said to go to the bathroom religiously or eat food religiously, or work on the computer religiously. Eye-wink

For reference here's what I'm referring to:

re?li?gion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
n.

1.
a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

actually that tha way the 4th definition was meant to be used

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Samuel
Samuel's picture
Posts: 121
Joined: 2006-02-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

When I hear the question: "Is atheism a religion?" I usually respond:

"Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair style."

Technically bald doesn't fall under the defintion of what makes a "hair style," as atheism doesn't fall under the definition of what makes a "religion." Bald, however, IS a statment on your current hair state, as atheism is a statement on your current religious state.


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

When a theist says atheism is a religion or takes faith it is music to my ears. At this point the theist has lost the debate because his argument has reduced to: "I know my beliefs are a heap of bull but so are yours!"

When a theist tells us "you have faith too" perhaps we should thank him. We should explain that, while we don't necessarily agree, we know as a theist he aspires to faith and considers it a most virtuous method of knowledge acquisition. And to rate our arguments so highly as to deem them worthy of being labelled as faith, which he admires so much, is surely the warmest of compliments as to the validity of what we say.

Of course what is really going on is that he inadvertantly slips and projects his true feelings about the value of faith when he tries to spit it onto us. One meaning of my sig is as a tongue in cheek response to "Atheists have faith too!"

Just imagine we did the same in reverse; we projected that which we openly aspire to, evidence and reason, onto theists as though it undermined their position: "Christians have reason and evidence too! Your beliefs are just as logical as ours! etc etc..."

Hardly packs the punch of a theist yelling "You have faith and religion too!", does it now?

Ah, theists! Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they say.


Nick
Posts: 187
Joined: 2006-08-01
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

The MP3 link has been 404'd. Not there anymore. Help?


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Nick_Poling wrote:
The MP3 link has been 404'd. Not there anymore. Help?

I'm uploading it now to this link:
http://www.rationalresponders.com/media/Atheismnotbelief-WaronEaster.mp3

It will be there in less than 10 minutes. If it's not, bump the thread.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

It's about 50 minutes after your post and doing the 404 thing. Sad


Nick
Posts: 187
Joined: 2006-08-01
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

MattShizzle wrote:
It's about 50 minutes after your post and doing the 404 thing. Sad

Same here. Looks like it's still not working.

Wilson: "We were afraid that if you found out you solved a case with absolutely no medical evidence you'd think you were God." House: "God doesn't limp."


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Sorry bout that guys, I adjusted the link above and here it is again:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/media/Atheismnotbelief-WaronEaster.mp3

I checked, it's working now. Enjoy!

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Just listened. Good one. I still like the idea of a year round campaign doing this sort of thing - maybe if there's a particular season/holiday making the flyers appropriate.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

MattShizzle wrote:
Just listened. Good one. I still like the idea of a year round campaign doing this sort of thing - maybe if there's a particular season/holiday making the flyers appropriate.

Me too man, we're definetly doing a perpetual enlightenment. We've all been so busy, it seems we've been in the brainstorming phase for about two months. But we'll get there. We've got some good ideas on this. I don't want to release it half assed. Eye-wink

In the meantime, if you create a flyer that you thing is a good nontract, please send it our way.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Atheism is as much a religion as bald being a hair color or abstinence being a form of sex.


HeliosOfTheSun
Posts: 42
Joined: 2006-07-04
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

It says it in the word. (A) meaning "not". (Theist) meaning "one who believes in religion", so putting it together says "not one who believes in a religion".


suttsteve
Posts: 82
Joined: 2006-07-25
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Technically, fishing can be a religion. Atheism, however, is not one.


girlanachronism
girlanachronism's picture
Posts: 7
Joined: 2006-07-26
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

I'm sure I'm repeating someone because I didn't have the energy to read through this whole thing. But basically you're all throwing around your own definitions of theism and atheism. There can't be more than one.

This will sound REALLY agnostic of me, but I don't have a def. for either because of all of the miscontrued views I have heard throughout me life. To me, in a nutshell, Thesists say that Atheism is a religion just to bug us and Atheists say it's not just to sound even more Atheist.

The bedtime stories of the last melenium have become the building blocks of today.

The secret to eternal happines: It's not all about you.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

i think of there being two main types of atheist.

the first type of atheist is the sarcastic dismissive type,
who doesn't believe in any god, and isn't interested in understanding it at all.

and the second type, would be someone who has studied religion, explored the ideas, has some understanding of the esoteric, and comes to the conclusion of no god.

the first type bugs me, and are the type that just seem to want to convert others to atheism.. and don't seem to understand the hypocrisy of that.
it that respect of a atheist V theist dichotomy.. then i see each side of the dichotomy as being the same.. almost a religion.

or in other words, a mature atheist comfortable with being an atheist,
compared to an immature atheist uncomfortable with it.

i'm an agnostic gnostic nihilist.

good to meet you.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

stOneskull wrote:
i think of there being two main types of atheist.

the first type of atheist is the sarcastic dismissive type,
who doesn't believe in any god, and isn't interested in understanding it at all.

and the second type, would be someone who has studied religion, explored the ideas, has some understanding of the esoteric, and comes to the conclusion of no god.

Which type of atheist is the newborn baby, the first or second?

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

neither.

a baby isn't an atheist.

a baby is more like an agnostic.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

stOneskull wrote:
neither.

a baby isn't an atheist.

a baby is more like an agnostic.

Incorrect. You're violating one of our irrational precepts here.

Read here to start.

Then here.

Notice the definition of atheism:

atheism Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of a god.

Now the definition of disbelief:
disbelieve 1. trans. Not to believe or credit; to refuse credence to: a. a statement or (alleged) fact: To reject the truth or reality of.

Babies do not believe or credit the existence of Gods, they are without god belief. Anyone without a positive god belief is an atheist. If you have belief you're a theist, everyone else is an atheist. Agnostic has nothing to do with belief, it answers the question "do you know?" Everyone is agnostic, including babies, however I wouldn't be so arrogant as to tell everyone they were agnostic unless they can embrace the term to describe themselves.

I'm willing to discuss this with you further, but hopefully you'll read the two very important articles I posted, and that will open your mind to the non-Christian pre-bastardized definitions.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

a baby neither believes in god nor disbelieves in god.

if you ask a baby 'do you believe in god'

the baby might respond 'boo dada'.

saying a baby is atheist is as weird as calling a baby a theist in my opinion.

out of the two, you could argue a baby is more a theist than an atheist,
where they see mama and dada as god.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Obviously someone isn't reading the links. :roll:


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

i read them.

obviously someone is just being an ass.

i am an agnostic gnostic nihilist.

i know what the terms mean to label myself in such a way.

a baby is just experiencing.

you could say the baby is non-theist..
like you could say the baby is non-winged or non-university graduated.

so?

there isn't just theists and atheists either.

is the dictionary your bible?
and yeah most words have multiple meanings.

you use your definition, i'll use mine..

giving me a loaded question curveball
over my point that i see two main types of atheist,
was an example, in my opinion of the type of atheist who does seem to treat atheism like a religion.. where they feel a passion to convert others to atheism.


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Welcome stOneskull!

stOneskull wrote:
obviously someone is just being an ass.

Now now. You moaned about immature atheists, don't go being immature yourself.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

well, i talk from experience..

i was a pretty full-on atheist in high school,
til i realised i was just as bad as any other zealot trying to convert.

then i wanted to find the truth..
even if there wasn't a god, what were the origins and beliefs, etc..
gnosticism and the occult, language, numbers, astronomy, astrology.. everything.. and everyday i learn more and more.

you can call it gnosticism but i don't call it gnosticism,
i'm not a gnostic.. there are more than one definition for that..
i'm an agnostic gnostic.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

Saying you are neither a theist or an atheist is like saying a light is neither on nor off.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

no it isn't.

is the light in my office here on or off?


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

stOneskull wrote:
a baby neither believes in god nor disbelieves in god.

Not believing is the definition of disbelieving. If the baby doesn't believe he disbelieves, or he is not alive.

Quote:

saying a baby is atheist is as weird as calling a baby a theist in my opinion.

Because you have a preconceived notion of how the words are defined given to you by those who had no clue, and haven't accepted the etymology and reality of how the word actually is defined. A baby isn't a theist unless it holds a positive belief in god, if it isn't a theist, it's an atheist. It's rather simple.

Quote:
out of the two, you could argue a baby is more a theist than an atheist,
where they see mama and dada as god.

Nobody defines mom and dad as god. You could argue it, but most intellectuals would laugh at your unwillingness to embrace reality.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

you're picking the definition that fits in with your belief system.

from the page you linked to is a definition that contradicts what you're saying,
so you pick the definition that supports what you believe..

which is everyone is atheist unless they become theist.

where-as i say they are neither unless they become either.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

stOneskull wrote:

i am an agnostic gnostic nihilist.

And I noticed on your myspace page you say, "I'm an atheist nihilist agnostic gnostic."

Why muddy the waters with an impossibility? It's that type of dishonesty that I detest from theists.

Quote:
there isn't just theists and atheists either.

Everyone on Earth that has a belief in a god or gods is a theist, everyone else is (a)without gods and therefore: atheist.

Quote:
is the dictionary your bible?

No.

Quote:
you use your definition, i'll use mine..

This might not be the community for you. Most of us here were open minded enough to realize we were lied to about the defineable terms and decided to embrace the actual definition, not the one we brought to the table. I was an agnostic 7 years ago, until I got schooled on the definition and had to accept the fact that I was an atheist or be labeled a close minded fool. So keep using your bastardized Christian definition, might as well attend Church, and pray to Jesus while you're at it.

Quote:
giving me a loaded question curveball
over my point that i see two main types of atheist,
was an example, in my opinion of the type of atheist who does seem to treat atheism like a religion.. where they feel a passion to convert others to atheism.

You mean de-convert others to atheism? Anyway, I gave you the question in hopes that the question would be more awakening to you, then bashing you over the head with a dose of reality. Most people do better and are able to accept a personal misunderstanding when you give them the chance to recognize the problem themselves. The two definitions of atheist you submitted were simply ridiculous.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

I actually considered myself agnostic from about 16 until a little over a year ago. Last May I realized I was an atheist.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Anonymous
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

stOneskull wrote:
i was a pretty full-on atheist in high school,

A shame you dropped the atheist part and retained the full-on part (going on the axe-to-grind impression your posts give). The other way round would have been the 'mature' choice, to use your term.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

stOneskull wrote:
you're picking the definition that fits in with your belief system.

What belief system is that? The belief that I should embrace reality and seek out the truth wherever possible?

Quote:
from the page you linked to is a definition that contradicts what you're saying,

Point out the contradiction.

Quote:
so you pick the definition that supports what you believe..

And what I believe is that I should accept when I am wrong about something when proven wrong. I used to be exclusively agnostic just like you, well actually not just like you as you have this ridiculous agnostic and gnostic at the same time. However I was an agnostic, not atheist or theist, or so I thought. I got schooled, I learned the etymology and the common usage before Christians relabeled atheist as a devil worshipper, and I allowed myself to overcome my brainwashing. I suggest you try and do the same.

Quote:
which is everyone is atheist unless they become theist.

Yup. Show me where either link contradicts that.

Quote:
where-as i say they are neither unless they become either.

And you're wrong. Every sperm, every baby lacks belief in a god, and they are all atheists. They are indoctrinated into religion later. If they come back to atheism, they have not joined a religion, they have de-converted.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


stOneskull
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-07-29
User is offlineOffline
Is Atheism a religion?

can there be atheists without theists?

can there be a counter-culture without a culture?

it's very simple to say 'i don't know' you know.

but you know that the counter-theists need theists..

otherwise you'd call em just people right?

a baby is a baby not an atheist.

you can argue they are with a definition,
but arguing that a baby is asexual is weird to me.

you don't seem to appreciate that some people
consider themselves neither theist nor atheist..
knowing full well the official definitions.