Poke, poke.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poke, poke.

More poking of the bear.

Is theism involuntary for a certain segment of the population? In the same way that sexual orientation is not a choice, is there something structural about some people's brain that dissallows the adoption of atheism? Evidence? Me. I'm a "better" atheist than some of the pseudo-intellectual hangers on that rant on internet forums. Yet I find this immovable part of my consciousness that insists on belief.

Just a weird thought.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote: OK I think

carx wrote:

OK I think I’m going to lift of using my magic fling powers , get to my SS.Hitler in orbit and cruse around the galaxy killing dame primitives on drugs. Its time the war on drugs gets to the next level XD !

LULZ

Don't push your luck. I'll be forced to unleash my carniverous fluffy bunnies and my pink unicorns of death. And the snarfwidget I stole from Brian37. It farts sports cars. 

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: DUH!

wavefreak wrote:

DUH! Sometimes life isn't logcal. What makes you think I'm trying to prove ANY point? What's wrong with an occasional random stream of conciousness? Are you diminished in any way? Have you placed a value judgment on non-logic? On what to you base that judgement? There is no empirical basis for "right" and "wrong". You just believe logic and rationalism is a better paradigm. What irony it would be to discover that people were happier and more productive in a state of deluded theism than in a clear rational state.

There you go again. It seems like whenever you argue a point and you are prove wrong you changed the subject. A normal person with a even a little bit of self respect would say "ok I was wrong, thanks" not just completely change the subject when they were wrong.

It's like saying to Einstein "I just proved you theory of relativity is not at all accurate" and Einstein replying with "Cats, bats, ninjas, global warming, blah blah blah"

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: More

wavefreak wrote:

More poking of the bear.

Is theism involuntary for a certain segment of the population? In the same way that sexual orientation is not a choice, is there something structural about some people's brain that dissallows the adoption of atheism? Evidence? Me. I'm a "better" atheist than some of the pseudo-intellectual hangers on that rant on internet forums. Yet I find this immovable part of my consciousness that insists on belief.

Just a weird thought.

I don't consider my belief in God to be a choice.  It just kind of happened this way.  I don't think the adoption of any belief can be a matter of choice, at least not in the same way I chose which pair of jeans to wear this morning.  

Atheists are atheists because they've weighed the evidence, though things through, and are convinced that atheism is the best ideology regarding God.  But what happens between being convinced and adopting an ideology is tricky.  When data makes sense in your mind, there's little choosing left to be done.  

When I became a Christian I didn't kneel down with some old preacher and a ragged bible and repeat a prayer - I was alone, and it was an extraordinarily personal experience.  I didn't say anything, I didn't actively choose anything.  I was just a Christian all of a sudden.   

It's kind of like all the sticky, confusing things in life - if you've ever been in love, you know that you don't say to your mate, "Hey, I'm going to start being in love with you today."  You just sort of wake up one day and realize that you already are.