What would Jesus do?

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
What would Jesus do?

The all too common phrase, "What would Jesus do", is practically the Christian motto. It would presumably be something that most Christians would try to live by in a basic and general sense.

The following is a recounting of what I heard on the radio tonight as I was driving home from work.

A 17 yr old male caller phoned Dr. Drew on Loveline tonight, asking advice on how to get help for an issue he was having. The issue was not some simple "I have a bump on my groin." No, the boy called in because he realized that he is only sexually attracted to 5-10 yr old girls. Dr. Drew was floored. I sitting there listening on the freeway was floored. I think all the listeners that heard the call were floored.

Dr. Drew asked if he was sexually abused, and the boy said he doesn't remember his childhood that well. However, the boy did mention that he has been having flashbacks involving the shower and his dad. Of course, Dr. Drew suggested to the boy that he might need some help with recovering from sexual abuse even though he doesn't remember actually being abused. The boy seemed to realize that Dr. Drew is probably right, but he still sounded unnerved.

Dr. Drew proceeded on, and asked the boy how he has been handling his potentially harmful attraction. The boy sighed, and told Dr. Drew that he had been alone with his 5 yr old niece and dry humped her for a little over a minute before being interrupted by somebody entering the room. Again, Dr. Drew was floored. I sitting there listening on the freeway was floored. I think all the listeners that heard the call were floored.

Dr. Drew didn't scream "child molester!", but his tone of voice became serious and to the point. He inquired if the boy had told anyone about this, perhaps in an effort to get help with his harmful behavior before it was too late. The boy said that he had told his parents, but they said he should just recite and memorize Bible verses. Dr. Drew sighed, attempting to compose himself, and said "I wish fixing something like this could be that easy" and then he added, "but what you have going on is more serious and requires more than Bible verses." Dr. Drew suggested telling someone else, perhaps someone at his church since his parents were clearly highly religious. Shockingly, the boy replied that he had told his pastor and that they didn't do anything either. The church remedy was to pray and be more diligent and read the Bible. No police we contacted or actions taken. Dr. Drew was floored. I sitting there listening on the freeway was floored. I think all the listeners that heard the call were floored.

Dr. Drew sighed again, gathering his thoughts. The powerlessness that Dr. Drew felt at that moment was steadily building. Finally, Dr. Drew asked, "well, is there anyone you can go to? A teacher? A family Doctor?" To this, the boy replied, "I don't goto school; I am home schooled. And I don't know any Doctors in my area. My family is very Christian..."

Dr. Drew sighed again. This time, he didn't know what else to say it seemed. Finally, Dr. Drew suggested "the internet" and "just going and talking to anybody who will listen; anybody who will get you the psychiatric help that you need." The boy caller sounded powerless. The desire he expressed over the phone for help seems to all be a waste because the outlets that he needs in order to receive treatment before seriously harming more children have been continually denied him.

The only thing the Dr. could do, was stress that he needed to tell someone who will do something in order to help him. Whether the help comes from the internet or an unknown Doctor, Dr. Drew was emphatic that he search out help before it is too late.

**************

I cannot believe that I heard this story tonight. Here's a boy, 17 and disturbed, who recognizes that he has a serious problem. He tells his parents and a pastor at church so that he can receive help. But no. No, no, no, no, no. No help whatsoever comes his way. Instead, the help that is supposed to fix him is a Bible and a reaffirmation to pray.

Horse shit irresponsibility and blatant ignorance!

Indeed, the feelings of anger towards the people who clearly violated the Christian maxim "What would Jesus do" in this case are quite sickening to consider. I mean how blind do you have to be? How bad does it have to get before you realize that the bubble that 17 yr old kid is not benefiting him? A 17 yr old (almost a legal adult) comes to you and says that they are sexually ABUSING 5 yr old children, and you tell them to read the Bible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying so hard to not explode all over my 19' monitor this very instant.

My gut feels loaded down with diesel grease.

I am sick.

I am angry.

I want to ejaculate some human knowledge directly into the skulls of those twisted adults who are helping this 17 yr old child molester further ruin his existence.

Clearly, "What would Jesus do" doesn't carry the same weight as "Human beings should never try to rape 5 yr olds." I think we all know what the adults surrounding this 17 yr old kid recommended he consider for help. /gguininstall that kids' parents and church leaders.

 

[MOD EDIT: Here is the link to the download and jread was correct in the time 59:25 on the phonecall from 'John' ]

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2642
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
What would jesus do? Answer

What would jesus do?

Answer A) Nothing because he never existed.

Answer B) Shake his head and look over at Gabriel and say, "Check out this crazy fucker."

Answer C) Let him rape children and then let him ask for forgiveness.

Answer D) Nothing because he can't interfere with 'free will'.

Answer E) make up a parable about not calling in to radio shows.

Answer F) wait for an apologist to defend the parents' neglect on the basis of their exegesis of adult-child interaction in the bible.

Answer G) nothing because he was predestined to have this problem.

Answer H) claim it as being lucifer's work.

Answer I) start a betting pool among the saints about how many he rapes before being caught.

Answer J) cast the demons out of the kid into some squirrels and chase them off a cliff.

Answer K) get him a job at the vatican.

Here's the question:

What would this atheist(me) do?

Well, for starters trick the kid into going someplace to 'talk'.

Get them to sign a committal paper and then place them into a solitary confinement area for some intensive REBT with some aversion therapy on the side.

Get a little bracelet that says, "Don't fuck kids ever!" and set it to shock them every two hours +/- a few minutes each time.

Ask them if they feel better and throw in a trick question about kids every other day until the rational response from them matches the conditioned response intended.

Wait a few years and closely follow the person's progress/regress.

Either way(succeed or fail) write a book, make millions of dollars, and retire far away from a society full of idiots that think a book full of stories of murder, rape, misogyny, and deceit is a guide for ethical behavior.

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


BMcD
Posts: 777
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
Well, you can add me to the

Well, you can add me to the list of 'floored' folks. I hope that kid finds help... I really do. If nobody else, maybe he should talk to the local PD.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
   What would Jesus do ?

   What would Jesus do ?

 he already did it , it's over , he got himself killed,

a good idea gone bad ....

 


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
Hey there Jread, this is a

Hey there Jread, this is a horrifying story but I think that you have noted already in your post what the boy's best hope is: He "recognizes that he has a serious problem" enough so that he has actively sought help again and again. Considering his very insulated christian existence I think your Dr Drew has quite possibly given him the best possible advice that he could while on air, to reach outside the crazy culture of silence and conspiracy he lives in however and wherever he can. One can only hope that Drew spoke to the kid off air as well and offered him a direct line to some real help.

The bitterest thing about this story is the reality that organised religious sects are insulating young people in such a bubble of ignorance and confusion as this at all. It is enough to make your blood boil. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com


Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliateSilver Member
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
Posts: 1388
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Man oh man....

Man oh man....

1- Parents are guilty of child abuse to both the 17 year old AND the 5 year old he dry humps

2- This would be a great study for psychologists/psychiatrists regarding this boys attraction to young kids....

3- I agree with Eloise, at least the boy has recognized he has a problem.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
Sadly, I can't see this

Sadly, I can't see this ending anyway but bad. It appears he won't get help until he enters the criminal justice system. Which will screw his life. Then there's his future victims. Instead of taking steps to end the cycle of abuse the fucking prayer warriors spiritually masturbate. I'd be willing to bet that there is some denial going on among the church members. If this young man was abused, it would most likely have been by a family member - in other words, another member of the church.


jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: What

darth_josh wrote:

What would jesus do?

I actually intended the title to be merely a rhetorical question, illustrating the failed moral behind the common Christian motto in the story.

But I do see your point.

What the hell is wrong with people?

 

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:  I think

Eloise wrote:

 I think your Dr Drew

It doesn't sound like you've heard of him before. He hosts a nightly radio show called "Loveline" that I listen to often when I get off work. Here's some more info about him

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


stuntgibbon
Moderator
stuntgibbon's picture
Posts: 696
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
First order of business. 

First order of business.  Jail the parents.

 Second, this guy might want to try some local clinics or something.  Possibly somewhere he can receive some rather inexpensive treatments or recommendations from physicians.  

Maybe another thought, but I doubt is a great idea depending on the stablity of this guy is getting him onto some regular adult porn to maybe convert his urges toward people of age.  However, I don't know if this might just make things worse if he's sorta messed up to begin with.  He might just start additionally turning predatory behavior toward women as well. 


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
So...   Ya...   *clears

So...

 

Ya...

 

*clears throat*

 

Ya...

 

He (17 yr old) and home schooled, dry humped his neice (5 yr old)... repeatedly...

So not only is this Multiple counts of Rape, Child Molestation, and Child abuse... he's also inbreeding >.>

And his parents punishment? "Go read some Bible Verses"?

 His Parents, Pastor, and Police wont/havent done a thing

and all this is confessed over a radio talk show >.>

 

Is it just me, or is this story to good to be true? >.> ya, i hate to be the skeptic when something so perverse happens... but... damn o_O

What Would Kharn Do?


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
    punishment / healing

    punishment / healing

yeah what would free thinker jesus do ?

isn't love our only answer to all our problems ?

what is love ? compassion and understanding, and indignation too

to care, to focus , 'Love the enemy" is indeed a profound old statement .... there is no higher positive power than love in our dimension  

  


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2642
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

So...

 

Ya...

 

*clears throat*

 

Ya...

 

He (17 yr old) and home schooled, dry humped his neice (5 yr old)... repeatedly...

So not only is this Multiple counts of Rape, Child Molestation, and Child abuse... he's also inbreeding >.>

And his parents punishment? "Go read some Bible Verses"?

His Parents, Pastor, and Police wont/havent done a thing

and all this is confessed over a radio talk show >.>

 

Is it just me, or is this story to good to be true? >.> ya, i hate to be the skeptic when something so perverse happens... but... damn o_O

Nahh. jread knows us well enough that posting this (real, fake, or hypothetical) is going to get a response.

I view it as what was heard on the radio and what would the hypothetical response be to something like this. 

Dr. Drew's show really caters advice to the people that have to have the warnings on birth control pills that say "This does not prevent HIV."  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
I've considered whether

I've considered whether or not the call was real. But, I honestly heard it on the Loveline radio show. Want proof? The necessary evidence from the February 4th 2008 show archive. The caller comes on at minute 59:50 named John.

 {edit: fixed link}

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
Posts: 1859
Joined: 2006-12-26
User is offlineOffline
That's over an hour and a

That's over an hour and a half... Can you tell us what time this particular call occurs?


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
My thought is didn't they

My thought is didn't they have caller ID? And if so, why didn't they use that to figure out where the heck this guy was calling from and report it?


jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
    Ya sorry for the late

    Ya sorry for the late edit on my part. I added the minutes of the caller after I originally posted the link. The proper information should be up now.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: My thought

wavefreak wrote:
My thought is didn't they have caller ID? And if so, why didn't they use that to figure out where the heck this guy was calling from and report it?

Indeed wave. I am thinking of writing loveline and asking them what their policies are for calls like that. I hope something gets done.  

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
Posts: 353
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
    Can a mod by chance

    Can a mod by chance insert the link info into my main post if they feel it's necessary? I wouldn't mind having it up their so people can actually know that I got the archive. Just a thought.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat


Slayne
Slayne's picture
Posts: 91
Joined: 2008-01-02
User is offlineOffline
jread wrote: The all

jread wrote:

The all too common phrase, "What would Jesus do",

he would Cook me some bacon...

 

Get in the kitchen, bitch. LOL 

If God didn't want atheists than we wouldn't exist..