What if...?

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
What if...?

Hi! I'm new to the forum and thought I'd throw a question out there.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, so please move it if necessary.

What's the possibility that God, and therefore Goddess, are nothing but Psychological Archetypes? There may be proof in this in the Bible verse "Jesus came upon a group of fishermen and said: Cast aside your nets and follow me and you will become fishers of men." So how do you then become a fisher of women? Would this explain why these Catholic Priests keep showing up on the news as homosexual pedaphiles?

I have no belief that an entity created the universe. I do have a belief that two people created me. When I start to look at the Bible from a psychological perspective, I do believe Jesus did save some people: he saved homosexuals from being persecuted (i.e. stoned to death) under Jewish law. He did come up with some of the same concepts that Ghandi did in his ethic of non-violence. But then there are other parts...

It makes me wonder.

What do you think?

Cry Havoc

P.S. This looks like a great forum...

You don't believe in Evolution?
Ok, fine - I evolved, you didn't.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm having a brain fart. 

I'm having a brain fart.  Where is the story of Jesus saving a homosexual?  I remember a prostitute, but not a homosexual.

Oh, and yes, I think people invent god in their own image.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mark14:51  And there

Mark
14:51  And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
14:52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.
14:53 And they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes.

Hmmm. Messiah, young boy, and a linen cloth = CRUCIFIXION, Baby. 

This apparent resurgence of 'jesus was a good guy' stuff is really getting on my nerves.

How could anyone like this pig-wasting, tree-killing, family-hating, eye-plucking, dirty-handed cult leader? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Well he wouldn't have been

Well he wouldn't have been much of a cult leader if he couldn't get people to like him...

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahhhh. Therein lies the

Ahhhh. Therein lies the rub...

What kind of people? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
I don't know of a specific

I don't know of a specific story, but the New Testament says that the First Commandment of God according to Jesus is: "Love God with all of your heart, all of your strength, all of your mind, all of your soul." Now me, I've been married and it seems to me that the definition of the word God is the ultimate form of a male as the word Godess is the ultimate form of a female.

So if a man loves God, then what does that make him?

I would think it would make him a homosexual.

And what happens if a man loves Godess?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: Hi! I'm

Cry Havoc wrote:

Hi! I'm new to the forum and thought I'd throw a question out there.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, so please move it if necessary.

What's the possibility that God, and therefore Goddess, are nothing but Psychological Archetypes? There may be proof in this in the Bible verse "Jesus came upon a group of fishermen and said: Cast aside your nets and follow me and you will become fishers of men." So how do you then become a fisher of women? Would this explain why these Catholic Priests keep showing up on the news as homosexual pedaphiles?

I have no belief that an entity created the universe. I do have a belief that two people created me. When I start to look at the Bible from a psychological perspective, I do believe Jesus did save some people: he saved homosexuals from being persecuted (i.e. stoned to death) under Jewish law. He did come up with some of the same concepts that Ghandi did in his ethic of non-violence. But then there are other parts...

It makes me wonder.

What do you think?

Cry Havoc

P.S. This looks like a great forum...

Inventions of gods are a phycological side effect of human evolution. Our genes evolved with a fight or flight mechenism which is to help us "continue". Phycologically it is a false story we place in our minds in an attempt to avoide our mortality. It is merely a superstitious representation of wanting to continue, an attempt at immortality.

It is a fictional representation of the natural disire to continue. It is born out of ignorance. Richard Dawkins discribes this well in "The God Dellusion" well. He discribes the human invention of gods as being the same as a moth, which evolved to guide itself by natural sun and moonlight, as falsely mistaking a candlelight or lightbulb for the moon or sun.

"gods" are nothing but bad guesses by humans because their natural disire to continue combined with scienific ignorance.

For the same reason people believe that Jesus survived rigor mortis falsely, people once believed that if they threw a girl into a volcano they could appease the angrey mountain and therefor would "continue".

Whereas today, we dont throw girls into volcanos, we merely study sizemic activity and look for warning signs and caculate a radius of evacuation in case of an eruption. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I don't know of a

Quote:

I don't know of a specific story, but the New Testament says that the First Commandment of God according to Jesus is: "Love God with all of your heart, all of your strength, all of your mind, all of your soul." Now me, I've been married and it seems to me that the definition of the word God is the ultimate form of a male as the word Godess is the ultimate form of a female.

Cry Havoc, I gotta be honest with you.  I think even Christian apologists, the unabashed masters of making up the most unlikely story to justify any belief, are going to look at this and say, 'Nah, man.  That's too much of a stretch for me.'

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
I think you missed the

I think you missed the point. If I'm walking down the street and I see a sexy woman, do I say: 'Wow! She's a God!' No, I'd say: 'Wow! She's a Godess!' Think of the psychological ramifications of that. It's just a word used to describe a male or female. The ultimate male or female. It has to do with gender. I'm not talking about heaven and hell, I'm talking about the psychological problems associated with the 'religion' situation.

Maybe I'm in the wrong section here.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess I must be

I guess I must be completely confused about what you're trying to say, then.

The idea of "ultimate male" or "ultimate female" is part of a mythology handed to us primarily from seventeenth century philosophers who were combining Cartesian dualism with the idea of the cave wall from Plato. While Jesus (an oddly de-sexualized mythological "perfect man" ) can be looked at in this way from our modern perspective, it would be false to say that Christianity was founded on such an idea.

Religion, mythology, and thus our perceptions of sexuality and culture, adjust to sociopolitical realities and vice versa. It's kind of a self perpetuating process, but in no case does it appear that we can say any one perception represents an "archetypical truth" about gender identity or sexuality.

Am I even close to what you're talking about?

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not exactly sure what

I'm not exactly sure what kind of dots you are trying to connect here. Because "god" and "goddess" are terms of gender, Jesus (and as an extention, all Christians) are attracted to men? I don't get it.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: Ahhhh.

darth_josh wrote:

Ahhhh. Therein lies the rub...

What kind of people?

Well, in this case people who like to be 'fishers of men' and eat and drink their teacher's body and blood...

Cannibals.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
Here's another quote from

Here's another quote from the New Testament:

"A woman gave Jesus a cup of water and he gave her Living Water."

Living Water is called Holy Water nowadays. I looked up on Jewish encyclopedia.com.

Living Water 'exudes from the area of a man's stomach' What else exhudes from the area of a man's stomach? Let me put it into perspective for you. Let's take your average-Joe 30 year-old virgin man filled to the brim with love walking around Nazereth. What is a 30 year-old virgin man filled to the brim with love? He's a walking woody. And what happens when someone shows that walking woody the tiniest iota of kindness? It would trigger a response in the psyche.

What response would it trigger?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: Here's

Cry Havoc wrote:

Here's another quote from the New Testament:

"A woman gave Jesus a cup of water and he gave her Living Water."

Living Water is called Holy Water nowadays. I looked up on Jewish encyclopedia.com.

Living Water 'exudes from the area of a man's stomach' What else exhudes from the area of a man's stomach? Let me put it into perspective for you. Let's take your average-Joe 30 year-old virgin man filled to the brim with love walking around Nazereth. What is a 30 year-old virgin man filled to the brim with love? He's a walking woody. And what happends when someone shows that walking woody the tiniest iota of kindness? It would trigger a response in the psyche.

What response would it trigger?

What does that have to do with your original premise? 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now I'm totally confused. 

Now I'm totally confused.  Are you suggesting that Jesus is a metaphor for sexual desire?

I'm not trying to be mean, but could you just explain in more precise detail exactly what you're trying to say?  You might be onto something, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out what you're getting at.

Books about atheism

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
Not so much a

Not so much a metaphor.

What if the New Testament is sexual calibration?

What happens if a woman does it?

And what happens if a man does it?

It would make them 'Fishers of Men' as opposed to 'Fishers of Women'

It would explain the reputation of Catholic School girls.

And the reputation that these Catholic Priests are gaining on the news all of the time.

Also, if Jesus' physiological responses were for a woman? Did Jesus do what he taught his Apostles to do? Psychologically speaking?

And no one answered. What physiological response would that trigger?

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
So what does a Catholic

So what does a Catholic Priest mean when he splashes Holy Water on you and says: 'From the Body of Christ'?

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: I don't

Cry Havoc wrote:

Love and sex have little to do with each other.  I love my daughter, but I do not want to have sex with her so I would be offended if you called me a pedophile. 

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Oh, and

Hambydammit wrote:

Oh, and yes, I think people invent god in their own image.

I think so, too. People begin to believe in God, and then they will twist the God to fit their world-view. To make God seem rational and sensible to them. Reminds me of my stupidity in my Theist -times.

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is the oddest

This is the oddest interpretation of the New Testament I've ever encountered.

Cry Havoc wrote:
So what does a Catholic Priest mean when he splashes Holy Water on you and says: 'From the Body of Christ'?

This is not part of any Catholic rite.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: Living

Cry Havoc wrote:

Living Water 'exudes from the area of a man's stomach' What else exhudes from the area of a man's stomach?

Since semen comes exclusively from the testicles, we're left with feces and piss.

Was Jesus thanking her for the water by pissing in her face? That's so damn punk. I could see that kind of Jesus wearing a mohawk and flipping off the pharasees. 

Quote:

Let me put it into perspective for you. Let's take your average-Joe 30 year-old virgin man filled to the brim with love walking around Nazereth.

I agree that to interpret "love" as "sexual desire" is a presupposition and probably a stretch.

Quote:

What is a 30 year-old virgin man filled to the brim with love? He's a walking woody.

Or just a nice guy?

Quote:

And what happens when someone shows that walking woody the tiniest iota of kindness? It would trigger a response in the psyche.

There have been plenty of times when I've been blue-balling and had a girl open a door for me, and I didn't exactly whip it out and splooge on her face because of it. What you're implying seems a little silly to me.

This is only going to make sense if we allow you to take a hell of a lot of liberties, I think. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
Semen does not exude from

Semen does not exude from the testicles - it exudes from the tip of the man's penis. Where is that located when a man has an erection?

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But, me, I'm going to love The Mother who also happens to be The Daughter. The Catholics can be Fishers of Men if they want, I guess.

But one last thing, maybe someone can tell me about why these people that go through 'Homosexual Rehabilitation' and fail end up going into the Priesthood.

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I almost forgot. Does

Oh, I almost forgot. Does anyone know why the Skull-and-Bones Society, of which our current President belongs, worships a Godess?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: Semen

Cry Havoc wrote:

Semen does not exude from the testicles - it exudes from the tip of the man's penis.

Oh, waa. It exudes from the testicles first, and then it exudes from the tip of his penis. The point here is that semen does not exude from the stomach, so it was still a silly thing to say.

Quote:

Where is that located when a man has an erection?

The tip of a man's penis when he has an erection can be a lot of different places. If he's the kind of guy that likes to tuck it in his waistband so that the girls don't notice and snicker at the size of his tiny cock, then it's probably snuggling against the tummy. If the guy doesn't know about the waistband tuck, or if he's in a situation where he cannot perform the waistband tuck without being detected, the erect penis will emerge as a throbbing bulge in his left pants leg. But mostly the tip of the penis is located approximately at the tip of the penis.

This still doesn't mean semen exudes from the stomach, just like you can't suck on a titty and then say that it was drooling on itself. 

Quote:

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough.

Quote:

But, me, I'm going to love The Mother who also happens to be The Daughter. The Catholics can be Fishers of Men if they want, I guess.

Is this your way of saying that all catholics are closet homos or something? 

Quote:

But one last thing, maybe someone can tell me about why these people that go through 'Homosexual Rehabilitation' and fail end up going into the Priesthood.

Because all the other homosexuals know there is nothing wrong with them. Only a priest-to-be would feel guilty enough about his homosexuality to try and "rehabilitate".

I'm pretty sure if I went to a school that tried to teach me how to be a homosexual, I would fail magnificently. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Cry Havoc
User is offlineOffline
I never said it exudes from

I never said it exudes from the stomach. JewishEncyclopedia.com says it exudes from the 'area of the stomach'. which is different.

I'm starting to see why a lot of people get angry in discussions like this. Some people don't listen/read very well but then comment anyway.

So much for a rational response. 

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: Well, I

Cry Havoc wrote:
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But, me, I'm going to love The Mother who also happens to be The Daughter. The Catholics can be Fishers of Men if they want, I guess.

So, wouldn't this make female adherents to your religion all lesbians?

Quote:

Source, please?

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: I never

Cry Havoc wrote:

I never said it exudes from the stomach. JewishEncyclopedia.com says it exudes from the 'area of the stomach'. which is different.

Still, if whatever comes from the penis can be counted as coming from the "area of the stomach", which I still think is an absolute stretch, then it could still be piss instead of semen. 

Quote:

I'm starting to see why a lot of people get angry in discussions like this. Some people don't listen/read very well but then comment anyway.

Or it could just be that I misunderstood you because it's not often that I encounter people who are trying to explain how it could be argued that semen exudes from the area of the stomach.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being dick about it, but it really does look like you're making some silly stretches to me. 

Quote:

So much for a rational response.

If you have a beef with something I've said, try not to make a generalization about the entire group. I'm not even a core member, so technically I'm not even an official "rational responder". I'm more like a friend of the rational responders. I'm a guy they let hang out here.

I still think the things you're saying sound crazy, but I'll try to be less of a dick about saying so. Peace.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's a little bit

I think it's a little bit tenuous to say that because 'God' is 'male' that all Christians must be subliminally gay. They would probably say its a different kind of love from the sexual love. I can't imagine a fundie wanking over a mental picture of Jesus. For a start wanking is banned in Christianity.

I think God is not about the desire to continue, I think that's what the after life myth is all about. God is about the desire to understand the world we live in, and seeing as a lot of humans are just plain lazy, making it up is much easier than empirical testing. Of course in many myths the link between "God" and the "After life" has been established. i.e. pre-Christian mythicists thought 'hmmm... maybe the after life is where God lives... so maybe when we die we'll understand a lot more.' Greek mythicists thought 'hmmm... maybe the after life is rules by a nasty God, because well, death isn't very nice... but maybe heroes go somewhere better.'

Of course ultimately its all a pile of shite.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Jesus is also dead...does

Jesus is also dead...does that make all Christians necrophiliacs?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: If I'm

Cry Havoc wrote:

If I'm walking down the street and I see a sexy woman, do I say: 'Wow! She's a God!' No, I'd say: 'Wow! She's a Godess!' Think of the psychological ramifications of that. It's just a word used to describe a male or female. The ultimate male or female. It has to do with gender.

If I'm at a Rock and Roll concert (which people of my generation often attend), and I see the lead guitarist of some band playing an amazing solo and I say "Wow! He's a God!" it doesn't imply any sexual attraction at all whatsoever. It just means he's good at guitar.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: Cry

LosingStreak06 wrote:
Cry Havoc wrote:

If I'm walking down the street and I see a sexy woman, do I say: 'Wow! She's a God!' No, I'd say: 'Wow! She's a Godess!' Think of the psychological ramifications of that. It's just a word used to describe a male or female. The ultimate male or female. It has to do with gender.

If I'm at a Rock and Roll concert (which people of my generation often attend), and I see the lead guitarist of some band playing an amazing solo and I say "Wow! He's a God!" it doesn't imply any sexual attraction at all whatsoever. It just means he's good at guitar.

Guitar's are so phallic...I see right through your gay. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan

Tarpan wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
Cry Havoc wrote:

What if I were to say the same thing about a pianist at a classical concert? 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Cry Havoc wrote: Oh, I

Cry Havoc wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot. Does anyone know why the Skull-and-Bones Society, of which our current President belongs, worships a Godess?

So how long has it been since you've changed the bong water?

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:
Tarpan wrote:

You'd be suffering from pianist envy. 

--

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko

shikko wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
Tarpan wrote:

Ooooh... Touche.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehheehe

you said pianist.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well played Shikko, well

Well played Shikko, well played ^_^

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko

shikko wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
Tarpan wrote:

Alright Shikko... alright... try this one on for size:

What if I were to be impressed by a really talented musician on a French horn? 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: shikko

Archeopteryx wrote:
shikko wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Impressed by someone mouthing tube all night?

/got nothin'

--

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: shikko

Archeopteryx wrote:
shikko wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
Tarpan wrote:

Don't be shy if you want to blow on some guy's horn until he makes enjoyable low tones sounds.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote: Archeopteryx

shikko wrote:
Archeopteryx wrote:
shikko wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Impressed by someone mouthing tube all night?

/got nothin'

I was predicting some kind of pun on "horny", but you didn't go for the obvious. That's gotta be worth something.