Cargo Cults

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cargo Cults

A video of a cargo cult can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RA4UnEuQ0&NR=1

Cargo Cults seem to have originated around WWII, when cargos loaded with food fell from the skies of Africa, and many tribes thought the cargos came from angels. Today, many tribes build land strips hoping planes piloted by angels will land in them. Most cargo cults believe evil white men stole the airplanes from angels, but soon the truth will be known to all.

Cargo cults usually have priests who build boxes that resemble radios and claim they are getting their beliefs, laws from the gods themselves.

While cargo cults may seem dumb, let's face it, at least they can see airplanes. And failure to understand how airplanes work is exactly what made them worship airplanes in the first place.

http://www.cttemplates.com

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is an interesting

That is an interesting comment on theism if ever I've seen one.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel really sad now that I

I feel really sad now that I have seen this.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This actually is in the

This actually is in the South Pacific, not Africa.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is truly a

Religion is truly a fascinating thing to observe.

North00
Theist
User is offlineOffline
If someone has religious

If someone has religious beliefs they already innately believe other religions to be wrong. Showing them a silly religion which according to their already present beliefs can't be right isn't going to convince them of anything. Creating a video making fun of them is only going to hurt your cause.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
North00 wrote: If someone

North00 wrote:
If someone has religious beliefs they already innately believe other religions to be wrong. Showing them a silly religion which according to their already present beliefs can't be right isn't going to convince them of anything. Creating a video making fun of them is only going to hurt your cause.

Different strokes for different folks. 

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the point is to

I think the point is to show how making up explainations for things without having an adequate understanding of them can lead to well... religions.

Long ago, the authors of the OT had no little idea what made people sick. They may have noticed that people with certain habits got sick and died. Their explanation since they had a poor understanding of illness was "god hates that, so when you do that, he punishes you." It was a matter of people trying to explain the world around them.

The people who started the cargo cults saw soldiers talking and listening to boxes then planes flew by dropping boxes of supplies. They didn't understand radios or planes, so it looked like magic.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke 

-Triften