21 Scientists Who Believed the Bible

Loveon2Legs
Theist
Posts: 19
Joined: 2008-01-15
User is offlineOffline
21 Scientists Who Believed the Bible

Have a close look at these names:


http://www.zshare.net/image/6526364f091bd7/

http://www.zshare.net/image/6526418c66a270/

http://www.zshare.net/image/65264262c9fe34/

Sorry if these are hard to read due to quality Sad

 (Book printed in 1995, Queesnland Australia.)

 

><


HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
Posts: 198
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Matt Shizzle, I think this

Matt Shizzle, I think this is your cue...(NTSA!..meow)

 

:^)


Loveon2Legs
Theist
Posts: 19
Joined: 2008-01-15
User is offlineOffline
Actually: Names: Johannes

Actually:

Names:

Johannes Kepler
Robert oyle
Isaac Newton
Carl Linnaeus
Leonhard Euler
Georges Cuvier
Michael Faraday
Samuel Morse
Charles Babbage
Matthew Maury
James Joule
Louis Pasteur
Gregor Mandel
William Thomson (Lord Kelvin)
Joseph Lister
James Clerk Maxwell
John Ambrose Fleming
George Washington Carver
Wilbur and Orville Wright
Wernher von Braun

><


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
i wouldnt even call half of

i wouldnt even call half of those "Great Scientists"

 

Seriously, when a "Great Scientist List" has a Gynaecologist on it, you know its screwed >.>

What Would Kharn Do?


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
    yeah, the list is a

    yeah, the list is a short one .... of course ....


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Interesting that, being

Interesting that, being that those names were in chronological order, the most modern name you could find was 60 years old. On the other hand, if you looked at modern scientists, you'd find your numbers clearly skewed in favor of irreligiosity.  However, this would not prove that non-belief would be the correct position any more than the suggestion that 21 scientists did believe would prove the opposing position, as both would be ad vericandum arguments.

PS: If you get to use a Nazi rocket scientist (von Braun) as an example of a religious scientist...then you don't get to use the "Hitler was an atheist" argument. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


Loveon2Legs
Theist
Posts: 19
Joined: 2008-01-15
User is offlineOffline
Yeh, I am a bit skeptical

Yeh, I am a bit skeptical about some of the scientists in this book.

Interesting though aye. 

 


Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
Posts: 333
Joined: 2007-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Damn!  You guys are good!

Damn!  You guys are good!


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: PS: If

deludedgod wrote:

PS: If you get to use a Nazi rocket scientist (von Braun) as an example of a religious scientist...then you don't get to use the "Hitler was an atheist" argument. 

Ah Ah Ah! its "GREAT Scientist" remember that, Nazi rockteer is GREAT

 

>.>

 

The list said it, not me!

 

What Would Kharn Do?


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Isaac Newton was a great

Isaac Newton was a great scientist.. You've definitely got a point there..

Just curious what the consequences would have been for Isaac to reject the bible in a world where even questioning the bible often meant torture and death.

Kind of like saying (Pick a Name) loved and supported the Communist party while living in East Germany in the 1960's. 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
   say that again

   say that again AmericanIdle, YEAH .....


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
I have to hand it to the

I have to hand it to the OP.  He has proven that atheists are smart enough to keep their opinions to themselves when it means death to voice them.

Once again, rational thought prevails.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-27
User is offlineOffline
I know I'm not the first to

I know I'm not the first to point this out, but just because a bunch so smart people believed in God doesn't mean God exists.

Also, for some reason, Albert Einstein is absent from the list. Is it because of a mistake; intentional omission because he was a Jew and/or not a Christian; or the compiler of the list conceding that Einstein was an atheist?

If one could use the Arguement from Authority to try to prove that Christianity is the "correct" choice, Einstein would destroy it. Depending on who you ask, his religious preference was either "Jewish," "Deist" or "Strong Atheist." In any case, it's generally agreed upon that he wasn't a Christian. Of course, like DG said, it'd be fallicious to assume that whichever one of those three Einstein was is the "correct" choice simply because it was Einstein's choice for the same reason - namely, the Arguement from Authority.

deludedgod wrote:
  

PS: If you get to use a Nazi rocket scientist (von Braun) as an example of a religious scientist...then you don't get to use the "Hitler was an atheist" argument. 

Not a violation of Godwin's Law. In fact, this quote preempts it. But still:

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it.....so some

I don't get it.....so some scientists are believers? We know that already, some are, many aren't, some are believers so that they can get funding as well. But all of the scientific believers still have the same issue as all the other believers.....prove the biblical god exists, or that ANY god exists. There are Hindu Scientists as well, ooopy dooo.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13591
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
AmericanIdle wrote: Isaac

AmericanIdle wrote:

Isaac Newton was a great scientist.. You've definitely got a point there..

Just curious what the consequences would have been for Isaac to reject the bible in a world where even questioning the bible often meant torture and death.

Kind of like saying (Pick a Name) loved and supported the Communist party while living in East Germany in the 1960's.

He made great contributions, but that has nothing to do with virgin births or zombie gods surviving rigor mortis after 3 days. He also believed in alchemy too. Being inteligent and discovering something that becomes a building block for future scientists DOES NOT make a deity real. Muslims constantly claim that they invented algebra, but Christians dont believe in Allah as a result.

The ancient greeks postulated elements but no one today believes in their polytheistic gods. The ancient Egyptians contributed greatly to math merely by using it to build their incredible monuments, but no one sane today would buy Ra, the sun god as being real.

Being sceintifically educated does not make you immune to believing false things. 

When today's deist, polytheist or monotheist can come up with a DNA sample of their deity, they would have something. Dont worry, I wont hold my breath waiting for that day.

Newtons contrubutions that we still use today no more proves the existance of Jesus's magical hocus pokus claims any more than his contributions would prove the existance of Thor or Isis. 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


BMcD
Posts: 777
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: The ancient

Brian37 wrote:

The ancient greeks postulated elements but no one today believes in their polytheistic gods. The ancient Egyptians contributed greatly to math merely by using it to build their incredible monuments, but no one sane today would buy Ra, the sun god as being real.

Unfortunately, that's not true. Both Hellenic (Greek) and Kemetic (Egyptian) Reconstructionist faiths exist in modern America, as well as a multitude of others, such as Asatruar (Nordic Reconstructionism). So, hate to tell you Brian, but both Zeus and Ra are worshipped, by educated people, in the US.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid


JeremiahSmith
Posts: 361
Joined: 2006-11-25
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote: Isaac

AmericanIdle wrote:
Isaac Newton was a great scientist.. You've definitely got a point there..

Interestingly, everyone remembers Newton for his work on gravity and motion, even though most of his work was on theology and alchemy. There is a lesson there, I think, though I have no idea what it could be.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.


Fish
Posts: 315
Joined: 2007-05-31
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith

JeremiahSmith wrote:

Interestingly, everyone remembers Newton for his work on gravity and motion, even though most of his work was on theology and alchemy. There is a lesson there, I think, though I have no idea what it could be.

I would guess that the lesson is that it is possible to do the right thing for the wrong reasons.