Problem with Christian charity vs Christmas Pageant celebration

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Problem with Christian charity vs Christmas Pageant celebration

I just saw Good Morning America on CBS and they were running a story on First Baptist Church of Fort Lauderdale. This particular church had just spent over $1,000,000 for a freakin' Christmas pageant.

With Christianity's ( ergo, Jesus ) emphasis upon charity, good works and helping the poor isn't this setting a bad example by spending such a huge amount of mammon on what amounts to a Christmas play ?

Wouldn't it have been more consistent with their own religious standards to have shown a little humility, scaled back their production and then shared their financial bounty with some homeless shelters or something ?

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
User is onlineOnline
Yeah, but it was a NICE

Yeah, but it was a NICE pageant.

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've observed that

I've observed that Christians are most interested in Charity when it gets media attention.  The rest of the time, self-advertisement will do.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I've observed that Christians are most interested in Charity when it gets media attention. The rest of the time, self-advertisement will do.

Exactly. Check this out this scam done in the name of Christian "charity". It's pathetic. http://www.trinityfi.org/press/whites03.html

It was a "free" house scam that was perpetrated by that plastic surgery loving Christian Barbie Doll known as Pastor Paula White. It was a publicity stunt, nothing more.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.