Ergun Caner to debate at Central Virginia Community College.

Jason Agape
User is offlineOffline
Ergun Caner to debate at Central Virginia Community College.

Dr. Ergun Caner is going to CVCC in Lynchburg to debate anyone willing to come. THIS IS NOT A SERMON. He will be speaking about why he believes in God and more specificly Jesus, he is giving an apologetics speech. After this he will take questions for the rest of the night for whoever comes. We need the support of the local atheist. If you know any in the Lynchburg area invite them. If you do not know Dr. Caner is the President of Liberty Theological Seminary (Jerry Falwell's School) and was a guest on the RRS radio show.  7:30 P.M. December 4 in the Meritt building Room 5118, free pizza and drinks.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah.  We know Ergun

Yeah.  We know Ergun Caner.  It doesn't take much to stump him.  He was on our show, and I must say, even people from Liberty wrote posts about how bad his answers were.

I'd be interested in seeing how he did with an audience full of atheists.   Alas, it's not worth the price of gas or the loss of a weekend for me.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
free pizza you say...

free pizza you say...

Jason Agape
User is offlineOffline
It seems as though he wants

It seems as though he wants a challenge. He says when he went on your show he did not go to debate but simply answer questions. This is time he thinks he will show why he believes what he believes. Give reasons outside of faith but maybe some proof. But he is asking the atheist to come so that it won't be preaching to the chior. He wants to engage in a scholarly manner all the questions that atheist have with Christianity. Whether you like him or not he does want to speak in a civil forum with people of different views. Also he does have a reputable position among Christians. This could be great publicity if local RRS members would come and even where RRS shirts. He has said that it will be filmed so I suppose he plans on putting it on the web.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would go, but I can't fit

I would go, but I can't fit a 3 hour drive (and 3 hour return) into my schedule on 4 days notice.  When exactly did he plan this event?  I ask because I've seen a lot of this "we want atheists to show up" with no notice in the DC area.  Typically no one shows up or there are only one or two weak opponents staged in the crowd and as a result they declare victory and the theist audience (who of course had it on the calendar for months) feels all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm not saying this is the case here, just wondering...

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll be there w/friends.

I'll be there w/friends. The title of his "discussion" is: "If there is one question you could ask God, what would it be?"

First of all we've started on the presumption that there is a god. Therefore I'm at a loss as to what to ask the Spaghetti Monster's spokesman.

I wonder how Caner would handle; "Where do you get the authority to answer for God?"

It's probably going to be fun! 

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to note to people who

I want to note to people who are not familiar with the area that Liberty U. is right across the highway from Central Virginia Community College. So I'm sure Caner will have a good following and seed the audience with pro-Falwellites.

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Still sounds a little

Still sounds a little sermony.  Plus I'm on the other end of the country, so someone will have to tape it and put it on youtube so we all can have a good chance to dismantle it.

Jason Hope (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I was unable to get back on

I was unable to get back on under my account not sure what the promblem was, but I am the one who set up this thing at CVCC. I have been planning it for a couple of months but did not think to put it on this site until a few days ago I am sorry.  Things that I can promise is that IT WILL NOT BE A SERMON. This is not designed for Liberty Students that is why I have not told them about this. I have promoted it at Lynchburg College and at CVCC. Ergun is speaking on why he believes in God and more specificly Jesus. After that he will take questions. I can not say that there will be no Liberty Students there but I will personal slap any Liberty Student who asks questions or is trying to debate anybody there. This is so that you can ask any question you want (you meaning any non believer). I really want to get a civil question and answer time with Ergun and any non-believer. Also I know Ergun and he wants to do a series of these so if you have someone that would like to have a debate with him I would try to get that done. I can help set it up in the Lynchburg area, it does not have to be at Liberty. I have no idea how many people will be there I am not trying act like this will have hundreds of people but I can promise you it will be worth your time to come and ask questions. He is willing to answer any question you ask.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I was unable to get

Quote:
I was unable to get back on under my account not sure what the promblem was

Your account was blocked for having multiple sock puppets.  It is against forum rules to have more than one account per person.  This account is also blocked now.  Please get in touch with a mod if you wish to remain on the forums.  You must delete all but one of your accounts.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
So How was it?

So How was it?

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zombie wrote: So How was

Zombie wrote:
So How was it?

He means the pizza! 

(It's tomorrow, tho)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I am still suspicious of

I am still suspicious of this because of the original announcment. "Caner will answer any atheist question"

It makes it sound like the atheist asks the question and is expected to listen without further comment or criticsm.

I get this vision of:

Caner, |"Ok, first question||"

Atheist, "How did god get marry pregnant?"

Caner, "He can do what he wants, next qestion"

Atheist, "How did Jesus survive rigor mortis"

Caner, "God can do what he wants, he is all powerfull. Next question".

I hope it does involve more than atheists asking questions and being allowed to counter all claims made by |Caner. But it seems to come across as a ploy to preach.

I hope I am wrong. I do hope this is a two way street and Caner is not simply using it as a ploy to preach. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
"If there is one question

So the title of Dr. Caner's discussion will be "If there is one question you could ask God, what would it be?"

My question would be, "Dear God now that Brother Falwell has died and gone to Heaven to be with you, is he as much of a jerk in person as he was on TV ? "