More on the silliness of "Angry Atheist Fundamentalists"

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
More on the silliness of "Angry Atheist Fundamentalists"

Mind your manners

'Defenders of the faith' on Cif should reflect that we atheists are only injuring their sentiments - unlike their predecessors in the cause

AC Grayling

Articles

Webfeed
All AC Grayling articles
About Webfeeds November 15, 2007 10:30 AM | Printable version

The blogosphere, as I once before described it, is the biggest lavatory wall in the world, on which anonymous graffitists scrawl their wit, wisdom, fatuities and futilities. Some ("some" being the operative word) of what appears there is very good. Much is garbage. Given that bloggers are probably a skewed section of the population - skewed towards the nerdy, get-a-life end of the spectrum, more male than not, in the younger age brackets - they are not a reliable sample of anything other than themselves. But even the obviously certifiable among them can sometimes prompt one to think, mainly about the lack of historical knowledge, the lack of logic, and the lack of an ability to read attentively (or indeed to read anything much apart from blogs, it seems) that some of them display.

I confess to a certain mischievous pleasure in provoking the more hysterical among them on the question of religion. My responders here on this subject consist of the same rather small coterie of defenders of the faiths, all but a couple of them luminous examples ("by their fruits ye shall know them&quotEye-wink of the virtues and charity of what they profess; for anonymously they eject their streams of ad hominem bile, reminding one of what TH Huxley once wrote to Darwin about criticising ecclesiastics: they are like pigs, said Huxley, who all squeal together when one of them is poked. Faith's defenders on Cif are such that when the ideas they subscribe to are attacked, they attack the person who attacked their ideas; to small minds, a fair exchange.

But the really interesting point is this. For hundreds and hundreds of years - and still to this day in the world's second largest religion - anyone who rejected religion's claims was either murdered (eg by the Inquisition) or, at best, shunned, vilified and laden with opprobrium and civil disabilities. It was only in the late 19th century in Britain that a small group of courageous individuals stood up publicly to avow their rejection of the ancient superstitions, and to form the Secular Society and the Humanist Association. Until earlier in that century (read about the repeal of the Test and Corporation Acts in 1828) anyone who refused to accept the 39 articles of the Church of England was excluded by law from the universities, parliament, and other public opportunities and offices. In short - and one could go on at very great length about the oppressions, punishments, disabilities, exclusions and dangers faced for nearly two thousand years of our "Common Era" by those who rejected religion - agnostics and atheists were the subject of persecution and discrimination, to the frequent actual point of death.

Nowadays, following a series of outrages in which religious motivation has played a major part, those who reject religion have had enough of pussy-footing around its votaries' sanctimonious self-regardingness, and are talking back. Are they saying that people who believe the ancient superstitions should be burned at the stake? Banned? Forbidden to congregate and "worship"? Forbidden to run schools to proselytise their own small children? No. Nor do they for a instant suggest that the holy should get a taste of the medicine they dished out during these past two millennia - though to hear the squeals from our anonymous ad hominem vituperators you would think so.

What they are saying is that religion has far too large a slice of the public pie, and far too great an influence (especially in proportion to the numbers of their active votaries) on public policy (churches are self-constituted civil society organisations like trades unions, and are entitled to have their say, but no more than any other such institution); that people can believe what they like, but please do it in private; that they should pay for their own schools and are not entitled to our public tax money for them; and, in general, that they can think and do what they like so long as they do not insist on stuffing it into other peoples' faces - or in the extreme, killing them for believing or behaving differently.

They are also pointing out that the intrinsic credibility of religious claims is null, and worse: is full of nonsense; and worse still: that some of that nonsense is very dangerous.

That is the sum and head of what the "new militant ferocious terrible fundamentalist atheists" are saying. Now, it is understandable enough that the little coterie of anonymous and personally vituperative defenders of faith on Cif should get so steamed; for they do not at all, to employ Corporal Jones's immortal phrase, like it up 'em. But I think they should reflect a little on the fact that they are getting it up 'em only figuratively, whereas their predecessors in the cause indefatigably did the real thing to my predecessors; and it is my predecessors who eventually made the world civilised enough for their predecessors to suffer injury only to their sentiments rather than their bodies and lives.

Once they grasp this striking and rather encouraging fact, Cif's defenders of the faiths might then go on to acquire some manners.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love how whenever we

I love how whenever we speak up in any way shape or form we are automatically labelled as "militant" and "extremist."

Apparently the only non-militant atheist is one who doesn't express his or her beliefs at all. 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most of us here are

Most of us here are atheists and are actively speaking up for ourselves against a tide of religiously inspired hate. But what these people don't understand is that many atheists are amongst the most peaceful people in the world. With the exception of Nero (little laugh to self) the atheists on this site are decent, caring people, who only want to defend their philosophies, and their right to their philosophies. We just want to show that there is nothing wrong with atheism, and warn that actually there probably is something wrong with faith.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Probably" something wrong

"Probably" something wrong with faith?  See, now, THAT made me chuckle a little. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Most of us here are atheists and are actively speaking up for ourselves against a tide of religiously inspired hate. But what these people don't understand is that many atheists are amongst the most peaceful people in the world. With the exception of Nero (little laugh to self) the atheists on this site are decent, caring people, who only want to defend their philosophies, and their right to their philosophies. We just want to show that there is nothing wrong with atheism, and warn that actually there probably is something wrong with faith.

SHUT UP MAN, YOU ARE RUINNING THE REPUTATION OF ATHIESTS! 

Now, here are the rules of atheism.

1. Barbaque kittens at least once a day.

2. Face Hitler's bunker (where it was) and pray to it 5 times a day.

3. Never do anything kind for anyone.

4.  Always vote for Democrats

5. Make sure your goat's blood is not out of date.

6. Threaten everyone with Barry Manilo music.

7. Never recycle

8. Cut in front of everyone in any given line

9. Buy coal for your Christian family members on Christmas

10. And spread cooties.....THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE! 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog