The Apocrypha from Hell.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
The Apocrypha from Hell.

Some time ago I was reading through apocryphal Christian texts, various Acts and Gospels and Revelations and such. I remember one of the texts described a vision of Hell. It was sort of an early version of Dante's Inferno, where individuals are shown receiving different punishments based on their sins. I remember some people -- adulterers, I think -- being hung over fire by their genitals, and I distinctly recall homosexuals being required to walk off a tall cliff and then march back up to do it again, over and over. I can't remember what the name of the text was, though. Any help?

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
That sounds like a Talmud

That sounds like a Talmud story about Mary (mother) there was a few tracts written condemning her, one or two with grotesque elements of hell.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith wrote: I

JeremiahSmith wrote:
I distinctly recall homosexuals being required to walk off a tall cliff and then march back up to do it again, over and over.

Hang on I distinctly remember that story from some contemporary vision of hell that a christian bloke was selling recently. Hang on... I think I can find that. BRB

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Thank you for trying,

Thank you for trying, Eloise, but I just tried what I should have tried a long time ago: I used Google to search http://www.earlychristianwritings.com for "hell". I found the Apocalypse of Peter, which fits my recollection that it was a Something of Peter. It's estimated to date to around 100-150 AD.

And the quote in question:

Quote:
32 And other men and women being cast down from a great rock (precipice) fell (came) to the bottom, and again were driven by them that were set over them, to go up upon the rock, and thence were cast down to the bottom and had no rest from this torment. And these were they that did defile their bodies behaving as women: and the women that were with them were they that lay with one another as a man with a woman.

Lovely.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith

JeremiahSmith wrote:

Quote:
32 And other men and women being cast down from a great rock (precipice) fell (came) to the bottom, and again were driven by them that were set over them, to go up upon the rock, and thence were cast down to the bottom and had no rest from this torment. And these were they that did defile their bodies behaving as women: and the women that were with them were they that lay with one another as a man with a woman.

So, the cartoon coyote is a sodomite?  Now, I feel bad for laughing at him all of those times he fell off the cliff.  Turns out, he was just paying his penance. Sad

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: So, the cartoon

Nero wrote:
So, the cartoon coyote is a sodomite? Now, I feel bad for laughing at him all of those times he fell off the cliff. Turns out, he was just paying his penance. Sad

If you continue with that line of thinking you start questioning why he wanted to catch the Road Runner in the first place...

Also, is it just me, or is anyone else fascinated by the early apocrypha? It's like a director's cut of the New Testament, and they provide tantalizing glimpses of what might Christianity might have been if a vote on canon had gone a little differently or if a certain heresiarch was more or less persuasive.