It's all about the Moderates

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's all about the Moderates

Moderates seem to be all the buzz right now, so I'm going to try one more time to explain why moderates are not just facilitators, but are the cause of the fundamentalist takeover of American politics. First, so that the Brits are happy, I'm going to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Moderate: A Christian, or pseudo-Christian, who believes in God, and probably Jesus, and also believes in science, evolution, and logic.

Fundamentalist: A Christian who believes in the literal interpretation of the bible, and believes that America ought to be a Christian nation... literally.

Ok. This is very simple.

Moderates and Fundamentalists both believe in faith. They must. Without faith, belief in the Christian god is impossible. Let me say that again. Without the notion that "Faith is a Virtue," belief in God is impossible.

Moderates ostensibly use faith only for believing in God. If we are to believe the moderates, they apply logic to everything else. There are two very big problems with this assertion. First, it's not true. Second, even if true, it doesn't get them off the hook for validating fundamentalism.

In recent polls covering topics as far reaching as abortion, stem-cell research, prayer in schools, ID in schools, gay marriage, women's rights, and foreign policy, there is a marked tendency for all Christians to lean right on all of these issues. Are there some Moderates who lean left? Of course. But, if we compare the opinion polls to the number of moderates vs. fundies in the country, we find that a large number of moderates do lean right. The conclusion is simply unavoidable.

In thinking about each of the above issues, it's important to realize that with many of them, the only justification for a right wing stance is religious in nature. As always, there are exceptions. If you dig far enough, you can find someone who is against gay marriage for some bizarre constitutional reason, or who is against stem cell research because of some non-religious objection to the use of human tissue, but it's fair to say that virtually 100% of the arguments used by the public are religious in origin.

(For those who will nitpick over women's rights, foreign policy, and possibly abortion, don't make me bitch slap you. I realize that there are some issues within these topics that are not religious. I'm trying to write an essay, not a book. Don't go down that road. I really don't want to spend the hour and a half necessary to refute this silly objection.)

So, it's not true that moderates only apply faith to the existence of God. The fact is, moderates may not believe the bible is literally true, but they adhere to the spirit of the Bible. Most will tell you that there is something bigger than human morality. They will say that some things are "just wrong," and don't need an explanation. These views are harder to pull out of them, because they realize how untenable their postion is, but at the heart of a moderate is a person who believes in some aspects of religion simply because it feels right to them. Think about it another way. If moderates only applied faith to the existence of god, their voting patterns would be identical to non-theists in the same demographics. But they're not.

Now, why is this important, and why does it mean that moderates are responsible for the fundamentalists' success in politics? As I've written before, moderate Christianity is simply a kinder, gentler version of Fundamentalism. Moderates look at the world and see that some of the Bible is not applicable to their lives, so they discard those parts. They pick and choose what they will believe based on their own conceptions of the world and morality.

Think about Fundamentalists now. They are just like the moderates. They pick and choose the parts of the bible that reflect their view of the world. There's simply no such thing as a real fundamentalist. What we call fundies are actually people who take a harsher cherry-picking approach to the bible. They take a lot of the meanness, bigotry, and hatred, and incorporate it into their belief system. However, if you are ever brave enough to go to one of their churches, notice that the women speak, and that the men wear their hair however they want. Notice that children are not stoned for disobedience, and there are very few witch burnings these days. Fundamentalists are the same as moderates. They pick and choose what they will have faith in.

Moderates have faith that god exists. They ostensibly choose to limit faith only to the existence of god, but that is simply not an option. Faith asserts that some things are true despite all the available evidence. Moderates have good logical evidence that faith should not be applied to things like Abortion Clinic Bombings. They're right to decry the activity. But, they have no leg on which to rest their objection. The fundamentalists are correct when they say that they have faith that the moderates are wrong. Once we have admitted that some things can be true despite being logically false, we have no way of saying which things fall under that category. After all, if god is real despite being logically impossible, it makes sense that abortion clinic bombings are actually a good thing, despite being socially unacceptable and demonstrably wrong by our social standards.

If faith is necessary for anything, it can be used for everything. There is no logical way to draw a line and say "Here is where faith ends." At any point that we use logic, those of faith can simply retort that "This is not about logic. It's about faith."

So, moderates provide the groundwork for fundamentalism. Eighty five percent of Americans (or so) believe in god. That means that eighty five percent believe that faith is a virtue. Sixty percent (or so) of Americans claim to be Moderates. Now, suppose that those sixty percent rejected faith as a virtue. That would mean that seventy five percent of Americans would not give the fundamentalists the time of day because of the ridiculous nature of their beliefs -- not ridiculous because of their content, but because of their foundation! If seventy five percent of Americans simply demanded scientific evidence, there would be no fundamentalist movement. There would be no debate over ID in schools.

Might there still be a debate over abortion, gay marriage, and women's rights? Yeah. There might be. But, we'd be on a lot higher ground arguing over the facts as opposed to how many of the facts we can overlook because of faith. Each and every moderate is partially responsible for the fundamentalists precisely because he does not repudiate the very foundation of fundamentalism. Unfortunately, he cannot do that because he would be repudiating his own "Kinder Gentler" version of insanity. Kinder, gentler insanity is still insanity.

This whole discussion of moderates is not over whether their beliefs are reasonable. Most of their political views are reasonable. Most of them are good people. Most of them think that fundamentalists are crazy. They tell Ray Comfort jokes and drink a beer during the game after going to church. They are very reasonable people. Unfortunately, the very foundation of their belief is what gives permission to those who would turn America into a theocracy. Their complicity is mostly through ignorance, so it is hard to hate them for what they believe to be a perfectly innocuous existence.

Nevertheless, they are responsible.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a stupid arrognat

What a mammoth arrogant waste of time, Hamby. I posted those links to support my claim that people believe in god on contingence, I didn't even read them, I just googled spiritual seeker cause I knew I would get a bunch of links as evidence that they exist.

I'm not even going to try to defend the views or ideas of random seekers i plucked from google to prove their existence. You're completely on a tangent Hamby, one that is just not relevant.

I admit it was my mistake that you misunderstood the purpose of those links, I should have deleted your remark about providing evidence of god. However, I should think you will take some responsibility for completely ignoring my repeatedly saying in that same post "I do not have to prove the existence of god to support my argument because its irrelevant" clearly, I was not intending to do that.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
The subject matter of this article will therefore not appeal to everyone, for only those who have searched the globe high and low, desperately seeking the spiritual Teaching that thoroughly answers all questions of the divine mystery, will resonate with this in-depth explanation. It is my sincere desire that true seekers around the world will benefit in some way by perusing these pages, possibly discovering a new direction to pursue, or achieving a deeper insight into their unique situation in their lonely search for truth and God.

Long winded way of saying, "If you believe god exists, or want to believe, you'll be interested in knowing how to believe god exists." Brilliant. Also circular.

It doesn't matter how bad the argument is, it proves exactly what I intended it to prove.

I give you theistic contingent faith .

Hambydammit wrote:

I wasted over an hour of my one and only life reading this because I respected you enough to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have always respected and liked you, Hamby and I am sorry that you wasted your time. I truly am.

I never once intended to misdirect you and i am sure of my effort to make clear in my posts that I was not asking you to debunk a long drawn out rambling on spiritual thought; only to be aware of it as an example of moderate god-beliefs which are contingent and seeking a foundation of truth.

For what it's worth, your debunk was entertaining. Smiling

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

deleted excess post

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  With

Hambydammit wrote:

With regard to any and all gods defined as supernatural, there IS evidence to the contrary. You, better than any theist here, know that supernatural literally refers to nothing.

Supernatural doesn't refer to anything natural. So the fact that all that we know is natural does not indicate that there isn't a supernatural. 

Most of the arguments for the supernatural stem from arguments from ignorace, but none the less, there is no evidence to the contrary per se, just a lack of it.

friendlyskeptic79
friendlyskeptic79's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Each and every moderate is

"Each and every moderate is partially responsible for the fundamentalists precisely because he does not repudiate the very foundation of fundamentalism"

I don't think you can make that claim unless you've actually met each and every moderate.  you can't label an entire group unless you've met them all.

perhaps moderate isn't the best word.  there are moderates but then there are really liberal theists as well. look at Nancy Pelosi and others like her. I think we need to make a distinction between moderates and liberals.

while it's true that churches do influence voting patterns, almost half the country voted for Kerry in the last election. that wasn't all atheists; there aren't enough of them. so obviously there are liberals/moderates who DO vote the same as non-theists.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I don't think you

Quote:
I don't think you can make that claim unless you've actually met each and every moderate. you can't label an entire group unless you've met them all.

It's very simple.

Theist = believes in faith. This is absolutely, 100% necessary because theism is contrary to reason. Therefore, every moderate believes in faith, and by extrapolation, believes it is a good thing, since they believe their religion is good.

Moderate = theist.

Faith = foundation of fundamentalism.

Moderates, by tacitly approving of faith as a virtue, give fundies justification, and implicit permission, to be fundies. They cannot attack fundies on the issue of faith, and they cannot win a battle of logic, since the fundies will trot out the faith defense whenever they are beaten logically. If the faith defense is not allowed, the fundies will lose.

Quote:
perhaps moderate isn't the best word. there are moderates but then there are really liberal theists as well. look at Nancy Pelosi and others like her. I think we need to make a distinction between moderates and liberals.

Definitely not. Anyone -- everyone who believes in a god, or even a spiritual super-duper-something-or-other, admits that faith is a virtue. They must. Everyone is culpable.

Quote:
while it's true that churches do influence voting patterns, almost half the country voted for Kerry in the last election. that wasn't all atheists;

Dude, careful with the sweeping generalizations. Influence is the word I used, and the one you chose as well. You read the charts I posted, right? The strong tendency towards Bush was directly correlated with religiosity. Correlated does not necessarily mean a 1:1 correlation. Obviously some Christians decided to draw the line between faith and reason at the voting booth. This is wonderful for them, but it does not have anything to do with the discussion. Their personal choice is admirable, but they still support faith as a virtue.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

friendlyskeptic79
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It's very

Quote:
It's very simple.

Theist = believes in faith. This is absolutely, 100% necessary because theism is contrary to reason. Therefore, every moderate believes in faith, and by extrapolation, believes it is a good thing, since they believe their religion is good.

Moderate = theist.

Faith = foundation of fundamentalism.

Moderates, by tacitly approving of faith as a virtue, give fundies justification, and implicit permission, to be fundies. They cannot attack fundies on the issue of faith, and they cannot win a battle of logic, since the fundies will trot out the faith defense whenever they are beaten logically. If the faith defense is not allowed, the fundies will lose.

moderates and liberals attack fundies on the issue of faith all the time. how often do they fight over "you're not living your faith the right way"?  and different religious liberals interpret faith in different ways.  look at religious humanists like Spong. there are plenty who DO stand up for separation of church and state.  to say that everyone one of them contributes to fundies when there are plenty of organizations who fight against them and some that even work with atheist organizations to fight against them sounds ridiculous. talk about sweeping generlizations. I agree that not enough is done. but that doesn't mean "everyone tacitly supports them".

Quote:
Definitely not. Anyone -- everyone who believes in a god, or even a spiritual super-duper-something-or-other, admits that faith is a virtue. They must. Everyone is culpable.

oh really? does that include deists, weak agnostics (some do believe in a higher power), pandeists, pagans, and pantheists too?  Everyone of which has at one time or another been harrassed by the fundies, and many of which spoke out against religion having too much power? Are you actually trying to say that just by existing they all lend tacit support to fundies? Many of our founding fathers who insititued separation of church and state where deists. are they "culpable" too?   I'm a deist and I've gotten involved in quite a few organizations against theocracy. would you actually say I tacitly support fundies just by existing? I really hope not.   I certainly don't think blind faith (as much of it is, unfortuantely) is a virtue. It really seems you are making generalizations, and I have to say, if I'm reading it right (if I'm wrong please tell me how) then it comes across as rather ignorant. what's with the blanket statements?

Quote:
Obviously some Christians decided to draw the line between faith and reason at the voting booth. This is wonderful for them, but it does not have anything to do with the discussion. Their personal choice is admirable, but they still support faith as a virtue.

it was more than some, but okay. and who cares? as long as they support separation of church and state, or are against the fundies I really don't care what they believe in on the side. what's with the whole "they're either with us or against us" bit?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
While this topic got

While this topic got bumped, I'll think I'll expand on my point.

There is no evidence to the contrary of God or the supernatural.

You yourself said that God/supernatural are undefined. You can't disprove something that is not defined. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: moderates and

Quote:
moderates and liberals attack fundies on the issue of faith all the time. how often do they fight over "you're not living your faith the right way"? and different religious liberals interpret faith in different ways.

Exactly. What's so hard about this? The reason they can't come to any agreement is that there's no way to establish a logical line between faith and reason.

Quote:
. there are plenty who DO stand up for separation of church and state.

I'm baffled as to why people keep bringing this up. I know. I know. I know. Please review my posts. I've addressed this repeatedly.

Quote:
oh really? does that include deists, weak agnostics (some do believe in a higher power), pandeists, pagans, and pantheists too?

Not real pantheists. They just rename the universe, and call it God. The rest of them, yes. (Although I'd quibble over the definition of agnostics.)

Quote:
Are you actually trying to say that just by existing they all lend tacit support to fundies?

Yes.

They propogate the myth that faith is valid. They need faith to believe what they believe, too.

Quote:
Many of our founding fathers who insititued separation of church and state where deists. are they "culpable" too?

To a lesser degree, yes. If you ask most deists, they'll tell you that they have their interpretation of god, and other people have theirs.

Let me make this extraordinarily simple. Anyone within any religion or belief system that requires faith as a premise is culpable.

Quote:
I certainly don't think blind faith (as much of it is, unfortuantely) is a virtue. It really seems you are making generalizations, and I have to say, if I'm reading it right (if I'm wrong please tell me how) then it comes across as rather ignorant. what's with the blanket statements?

You're trying to make a distinction between blind faith and faith, and it's going to fail eventually. At some point, you're going to have to say that there's no evidence for some aspect of your god belief, and you simply believe anyway.

If you can show me a single example of belief in a supernatural god that is contingent, I'll recant. I have yet to see one. Please cure me of my ignorance. I'm not being sarcastic.

Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I don't have an complete

I don't have an complete opinion on it yet, but I'm trying to understand the position. I don't think skeptic quite has it. Here's my interoperation of the argument: 

1. Moderates having faith implicitly legitimizes any faith as a basis for reasoning.

2. Faith is entirely subjective and admits no discussion because it provides no substance.

3. Any statement can then be made valid by invoking faith.

4. The moderate faith position, by respecting faith as a basis for reasoning, allows itself no basis to argue against the faith-based decisions of others.

A consequence of this line of reasoning is that faith can't be considered a valid component in reasoning; meaning moderates seeking a non-hypocritical ground for criticism of fundamentalists would have either the difficult task of interpreting scripture in a different way and arguing on the basis of myths and parables (difficult, as Sam Harris points out, since fundamentalist tend to know their scripture better than moderates; though they could go with less extreme theologians and promote their interpretations), or abandoning faith as a basis for reason. In the latter case, personal experience would be one way around it, but it's not ultimately any more arguable than faith itself. Then they could also become agnostic theists, thinking there likely are deities, but awaiting confirmation.

[edit: I saw the weird spelling. I'm leaving it in.] 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magilum, you haven't let me

Magilum, you haven't let me down yet.  That's a very good explanation of my argument.

One more thing that I may not have made completely clear.  I'm not saying that there would be no fundamentalists without moderates.  Fundamentalists would probably exist, in fact.  However, without moderates (and all other ilk of non-fundie theists) there would simply not be a reasonable likelihood of public debate about any fundie related issues.  They would be marginalized and disregarded.

Quote:
Then they could also become agnostic theists, thinking there likely are deities, but awaiting confirmation.

This is the only option that makes any sense to me.  Clearly, they could not say anything about their god, and god would effectively be taken out of public discourse while we wait patiently for the proof.

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

I don't have an complete opinion on it yet, but I'm trying to understand the position. I don't think skeptic quite has it. Here's my interoperation of the argument:

OKay Magilum, your interoperation (LOL) makes sense to me.

I have a few notes to it:

magilum wrote:

1. Moderates having faith implicitly legitimizes any faith as a basis for reasoning.

I have one issue with this point - how?

I've seen a couple of 'how' arguments made by Hamby, none of which convince me totally that this statement is true, so to list them -

a. Moderates claim that all 'paths' are good and should be respected.

b. Theological faith is non-contingent -

b(1) todangst argued that the above was implied by theology

b(2) Hamby argued that the above is a result of the implied nature of God - (unknowable, beyond logic, undefined)

b. (cont'd) thus there is no objective ground between theological faith and reason (and 3 and 4 from Magilums list)

My problem with Hamby's (a) argument is that in the same post he also said 'paths' was an undefined term, which sweeps the legs out from under the statement. Without first establishing that 'paths' is defined as fundie faith, he later asserts that the definition of paths is fundie faith? Should I let him have it both ways? Nah... I don't think so.

(b) We've been over Tod's argument a few times so I will skip straight to Hamby's which was made by comparison to a non-contingent belief. I am willing to accept that comparison as an accurate analogy to fundie faith, however Hamby's point was that any theological or spiritual faith must necessarily follow that pattern because God is a like object.

This I disagree with.

For one, God is not a like object at all, God primarily exists to us as some paradoxical musings in ancient philosophy, that an undiscovered truth which satisfies all the elements of those musings can exist is a contingent belief.

And it is no less contingent now than ever before in history- we have discovered many real world truths which are quite sympathetic to the various descriptions of God, (track my posts for a number of discussions of them). They may not have proved to everyone and sundry that God exists, but here's the thing, they don't have to!! Those real world truths are line between faith and reason that Hamby is looking for, they prove there is contingent ground for a God belief. A ground which has some rational confirmation, a place where a reasonable degree of trust can still be extended.

Okay, so all that said. I am asserting that there is a rational ground for moderates to stand on, and I do believe that in a good few nations in the world there are moderate believers who stand on or close enough to this ground to effectively marginalise fundamentalism in the way Hamby prooposes. However, I'll agree there are a lot of so-called moderates who do exactly as they are accused in the OP, I agree. But is it theological faith that creates that culture, or has the mark been missed?

Quote:

meaning moderates seeking a non-hypocritical ground for criticism of fundamentalists would have either the difficult task of interpreting scripture in a different way and arguing on the basis of myths and parables (difficult, as Sam Harris points out, since fundamentalist tend to know their scripture better than moderates;

That is a general truth but not always the case.

"It only takes a few good men to determine the course of history" Eye-wink

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, you asked how

Eloise, you asked how moderates legitimize faith in general as a basis for reasoning. As far as I can tell, your argument with it was that it assumes that religious faith is non-contingent, which you don't agree it is. I'd argue that, since outside of the private subjective experience--which can deceive even the individual experiencing it--religious claims haven't been demonstrated, there is only non-contingent religious faith thus far. However, I don't think this is essential to the issue, which I don't think (necessarily) delves into finer theological points, or the specific behavior of moderates themselves. Rather, I think the key points are:

1. Number of people identified as 'faithful.'

2. Common understanding of the term 'religious faith.'

All a moderate has to do to lend credibility to faith as a basis for reasoning is to have it. Technically, answer anything beyond 'agnostic' in a survey. The moderates, in poll numbers, are just an undifferentiated mass with some general approval of the virtue of faith. Since we don't know, and possibly can't know, what is an invalid expression of faith, it makes it harder to see fundamentalists as being marginal; as lone voices in the wilderness, when they're able to invoke a majority of people who agree with the foundation of their reasoning, but diverge in ways not supported by that same reasoning.

I don't know whether this is so, but it makes a certain sense to me unless actual data will contradict it.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

Eloise, you asked how moderates legitimize faith in general as a basis for reasoning. As far as I can tell, your argument with it was that it assumes that religious faith is non-contingent, which you don't agree it is. I'd argue that, since outside of the private subjective experience--which can deceive even the individual experiencing it--religious claims haven't been demonstrated, there is only non-contingent religious faith thus far. However, I don't think this is essential to the issue, which I don't think (necessarily) delves into finer theological points, or the specific behavior of moderates themselves. Rather, I think the key points are:

1. Number of people identified as 'faithful.'

2. Common understanding of the term 'religious faith.'

Yes I agree, and inasmuch as it rests on (2) Cpt gave the data which supports that it is only *a* common understanding of the term, not *the* common understanding. Where it is known to be such a definite pattern emerges which Hamby has provided in supplement to his argument.

Quote:

All a moderate has to do to lend credibility to faith as a basis for reasoning is to have it.

No definitely not. A moderate lends credibility to faith by having faith. We are not agreeing that there is one universal common understanding of theological faith, let alone that it is faith as a basis for reasoning. Moderate Theological Faith does nothing like lend to faith as a basis for reasoning if it is intolerant of faith as a basis for reasoning and I contend again intolerance of faith-based reasoning *is* a moderate standpoint. If it was not then you would noty find moderates individually speaking out against ID or religiously motivated war, but you do.

http://petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=2780

(search "Christian&quotEye-wink

http://www.petitiononline.com/RLD2004/petition.html

edit: actually that one looks like it's been sabotaged by idiots. but this should suffice to make the point:

http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/2007/10/13/white-house-refuses-anti-war-petition-from-christians/

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: Yes I agree,

Eloise wrote:
Yes I agree, and inasmuch as it rests on (2) Cpt gave the data which supports that it is only *a* common understanding of the term, not *the* common understanding. Where it is known to be such a definite pattern emerges which Hamby has provided in supplement to his argument.

I saw some stats from Pineapple on the importance of religion to Canadians, religious identification and voting patterns (which aren't important to this particular part of the argument... and I also have to add that this issue has come up many times, so I could be combining different threads from Cpt at this point), but I don't recall anything about the dominant understanding of the word 'faith.' What'd I miss?

In your second paragraph, which was in response to my statement, "All a moderate has to do to lend credibility to faith as a basis for reasoning is to have it.," I think you misunderstand me, as my only point referred to moderates in their contribution to aggregate data on acceptance of 'faith' (leaving out for the moment what that word means). The actions of moderates don't enter into this particular point, since it is only the statistical view of a single data point (god belief/faith) that is necessary to give apparent credibility to faith positions (including fundamentalism). It would be different if Pat Robertson was stuck saying ten percent of Americans professed a belief in god -- which is a scenario offered only for contrast, to show how much more potent the Moral Majority looks when it can claim a majority. In these cases, the raw numbers don't exactly jump up and say, "Hey, I don't agree with your interpretation!" And then there's the question of the legitimacy of moderate dissent from a scriptural standpoint I mentioned previously.

To recap, this particular part of the argument (as I understand it), which is the validation of faith as a legitimate basis for reasoning by moderates (though not necessarily the utilization of faith as a basis for reasoning by moderates) has only to do with demographics and the common understanding of the word 'faith' (which I see you're disputing). The main point I'm getting across for this one thing is that moderate actions aren't relevant to it -- it's faith, but not works, you might say.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I saw some stats from Pineapple on the importance of religion to Canadians, religious identification and voting patterns (which aren't important to this particular part of the argument... and I also have to add that this issue has come up many times, so I could be combining different threads from Cpt at this point), but I don't recall anything about the dominant understanding of the word 'faith.' What'd I miss?

In your second paragraph, which was in response to my statement, "All a moderate has to do to lend credibility to faith as a basis for reasoning is to have it.," I think you misunderstand me, as my only point referred to moderates in their contribution to aggregate data on acceptance of 'faith' (leaving out for the moment what that word means). The actions of moderates don't enter into this particular point, since it is only the statistical view of a single data point (god belief/faith) that is necessary to give apparent credibility to faith positions (including fundamentalism). It would be different if Pat Robertson was stuck saying ten percent of Americans professed a belief in god -- which is a scenario offered only for contrast, to show how much more potent the Moral Majority looks when it can claim a majority. In these cases, the raw numbers don't exactly jump up and say, "Hey, I don't agree with your interpretation!" And then there's the question of the legitimacy of moderate dissent from a scriptural standpoint I mentioned previously.

To recap, this particular part of the argument (as I understand it), which is the validation of faith as a legitimate basis for reasoning by moderates (though not necessarily the utilization of faith as a basis for reasoning by moderates) has only to do with demographics and the common understanding of the word 'faith' (which I see you're disputing). The main point I'm getting across for this one thing is that moderate actions aren't relevant to it -- it's faith, but not works, you might say.

Fair comments, Magilum. In regard to Cpt's data I think the point was that there is evidence of less sway in Canada for moral majority statements like your Pat Robertson. Same would apply here in australia, over here the christian right masks themselves as "Family Values" to gain subversive sway cause the polling numbers just don't reflect that an appeal ad populum on the basis of christian morality would be even well recieved here, let alone flocked after. Despite the resistance, this surely has to have an effect on the central argument. There is another cultural issue at work there. Other cultures have moderate majorities, but none of their evangelists have the balls to try and sway the populus with it.

This is a Christian Right Party in Australia:

(NB they hide it)

http://www.familyfirst.org.au/

Notice the level of deception required to pass the christian right in Australia:

[FFP] is deliberately not called a Christian party � We called it Family First so non-Christians who believe in family values will vote for us. But to be a member of the party you have to sign to say you oppose abortion, euthanasia, prostitution and so on so most of our members are Christians. (Andrew Evans as quoted in Helen Woodall 'No writing on the wall but �', 'New Life', 20 Nov., 2003)

http://www.unbelief.org/groups/ffp.html

Note now the large populus of christianity in Australia:

http://www.coredata.com.au/pdf/2007081601.pdf

I am running out of ways to say this must affect the argument in the OP. Fundamentalism HIDES its FAITH from the Australian moderate sector. Please tell me, how does that support the idea of universal moderate complicity?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I am running out of

Quote:
I am running out of ways to say this must affect the argument in the OP. Fundamentalism HIDES its FAITH from the Australian moderate sector. Please tell me, how does that support the idea of universal moderate complicity?

I'm baffled. You just agreed with magilum when he explained to you that it's the faith, not the actions, and now you're talking about actions again.

Fundamentalism hides its true agenda in America, too. I'm not going to bother to find all the stories. Just trust me. It's easy enough to believe, since you see it in Australia, right?

Once again, the actions of fundamentalists are not in any way relevant to my argument. You keep saying it must be part of it, but you have failed to demonstrate any connection. If we disagree on the definition of faith, then we shouldn't even still be talking about this. I've given you a clear, concise way to refute me: Demonstrate contingent faith in the supernatural. Show me faith in the supernatural with reliable natural evidence.

If you can't do this, then we're at the impasse we've been at from the beginning.

With regard to the main point, which seems so incredibly obvious that I can't believe I'm still restating it, I'll state it in the most painfully detailed way I can do it.

IF non-contingent faith is the foundation of belief in the supernatural, AND moderates believe in the supernatural AND fundamentalists believe in the supernatural THEN moderates and fundamentalists have the same foundation.

IF moderates and fundamentalists have the same foundation THEN moderates implicitly and explicitly approve of the foundation of fundamentalists.

IF faith has been accepted, THEN faith trumps reason in at least one thing. (It must, or there would not have been non-contingent faith in the first place, as it trumps reason by definition.)

IF faith trumps reason in one thing, either A) faith only trumps reason in one thing, or B) faith trumpst reason in more than one thing.

Faith's claim, namely that some things are valid and true logically but false in reality (along with the converse of that statement) cannot offer a valid and true reason for there being only one instance in which faith trumps reason because that reason would be logical (and subject to the trump of faith) or faith based (and necessarily subjective). By the very definition of the claim that faith makes, we can only know that we can't know. (Although this is uncertain, as well. You see how faith breaks everything down immediately?) We must accept that faith trumps reason in at least some things, possibly all things. (Except that at this point, the rest of the argument breaks down because it's logically true and valid, and we have established the invalidity of logic.)

I have to interject at this point that I've destroyed logic. The rest of my proof is irrrelevant if faith is valid. This is another argument entirely, as Eloise has not granted the validity of non-contingent faith. Rather, she seems to be asserting that god-belief is contingent and that my original premise is wrong. Clearly, my argument does not grant validity to faith, but only grants the belief in it as extant.

IF faith trumps reason in potentially all things, THEN reason becomes invalid for determining validity and certainty.

IF reason is invalid, truth is completely subjective.

IF truth is completely subjective, THEN moderates have no logical recourse to argue against the actions of fundamentalists.

Combining points, we get:

IF moderates approve of the foundation of fundamentalism, THEN they have no logical recourse to argue against the actions of the fundamentalists.

Going back to the beginning, we get the main point of the debate:

IF moderates have faith THEN they have no logical recourse to argue against fundamentalists.

IF moderates have no logical recourse to argue against fundamentalists THEN they are rationally powerless against them.

IF they are rationally powerless, THEN non-rational means are the only option left.

IF non-rational debate/politics/etc, are employed, there is a high likelihood of a non-rational conclusion.

THEREFORE, Moderates, by having faith, condone, permit, and promote non-rational debate and conclusions.  (I.e. they promote fundamentalist political victories.)

Ok, now before you go jumping all over me about this, I'm demonstrating how in any given circumstance, irrationality can win over rationality because of the faith of the moderates. Just so you won't talk about the actions of moderates any more, I'm trying to head you off. Sometimes both fundies and moderates come to very rational conclusions. If they didn't they would be locked up and given very powerful drugs for the rest of their lives.

I have not ever argued for an all or nothing conclusion. Please don't try to force one into my opinion. I am, after all, not using faith, and I must reasonably conclude that faith doesn't always trump reason in practice. However, as you've attested, as I've clearly demonstrated, and as even Pineapple will admit, sometimes faith DOES trump reason in public debate. When it does, the moderates are responsible, for without their implicit support, the fundamentalists would have to resort to reason, logic and science, and would lose, or they would resort to lies, manipulation, and subterfuge, and we could prosecute them like other criminals. As it is, they get to bask in their moral superiority because no one will challenge them on their faith.

Books about atheism

friendlyskeptic79
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, I have yet to see a

Hamby, I have yet to see a deist or pantheist regard religious faith as a virtue, and I've seen very few agnostics who do.  In fact, most of the deist publications I've read go on and on against it and talk all about reason and strongly promote secularism, sometimes more aggressively even that some atheist publications.  I find it ironic you saying this considering how often atheists use "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine to defend their arguments, and how they often use the founding father's arguments for separation of church and state.  As someone who's had to deal with devoutly religious people getting in my face and treating me just as bad as they would treat you (as is the case for most deists I know, as most strongly religous can't tell the difference between a deist and an atheist, and most atheists I've met acknowledge this), I strongly resent you implying that I and people like me are part of the problem.  You seem like you want to put anyone who isn't your type of nontheist into a steroetypical box and treat them like part of the problem.  I'm glad people who think like you seem to be in the minority and I hope it stays that way. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Hamby, I have yet to see a deist or pantheist regard religious faith as a virtue, and I've seen very few agnostics who do.

So, please explain how deists believe in a god? Do they have empirical evidence, or is it non-contingent?

(I prefer to stay away from agnosticism. It's my personal opinion that it's pretty much a meaningless term. We can quibble over it if you like. I'm not particularly interested.)

Quote:
In fact, most of the deist publications I've read go on and on against it and talk all about reason and strongly promote secularism, sometimes more aggressively even that some atheist publications.

I believe I waffled a bit on deists earlier. If I didn't put it to print, I at least thought about it. I agree that deists are normally pretty damn aggressive about their non-knowledge of specific traits of god.

In any case, if you can demonstrate contingent belief in a deity, I will happily retract my statement about deists.

Quote:
I strongly resent you implying that I and people like me are part of the problem.

I am aware that everyone who doesn't think they're part of the problem resents being informed that they are. I'm not clear on whether that has any bearing on the reality of the situation.

Quote:
You seem like you want to put anyone who isn't your type of nontheist into a steroetypical box and treat them like part of the problem.

I'm also aware that all theists see me as a problem. I simply can't find any contingent belief in any god. If you can provide me with one, I'll happily retract my statements.

Quote:
I'm glad people who think like you seem to be in the minority and I hope it stays that way.

I hope to be less of a minority in the future, unless someone can prove me wrong. Would you like to try?

P.S. I believe I said pantheists were ok.

Books about atheism