It's all about the Moderates

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's all about the Moderates

Moderates seem to be all the buzz right now, so I'm going to try one more time to explain why moderates are not just facilitators, but are the cause of the fundamentalist takeover of American politics. First, so that the Brits are happy, I'm going to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Moderate: A Christian, or pseudo-Christian, who believes in God, and probably Jesus, and also believes in science, evolution, and logic.

Fundamentalist: A Christian who believes in the literal interpretation of the bible, and believes that America ought to be a Christian nation... literally.

Ok. This is very simple.

Moderates and Fundamentalists both believe in faith. They must. Without faith, belief in the Christian god is impossible. Let me say that again. Without the notion that "Faith is a Virtue," belief in God is impossible.

Moderates ostensibly use faith only for believing in God. If we are to believe the moderates, they apply logic to everything else. There are two very big problems with this assertion. First, it's not true. Second, even if true, it doesn't get them off the hook for validating fundamentalism.

In recent polls covering topics as far reaching as abortion, stem-cell research, prayer in schools, ID in schools, gay marriage, women's rights, and foreign policy, there is a marked tendency for all Christians to lean right on all of these issues. Are there some Moderates who lean left? Of course. But, if we compare the opinion polls to the number of moderates vs. fundies in the country, we find that a large number of moderates do lean right. The conclusion is simply unavoidable.

In thinking about each of the above issues, it's important to realize that with many of them, the only justification for a right wing stance is religious in nature. As always, there are exceptions. If you dig far enough, you can find someone who is against gay marriage for some bizarre constitutional reason, or who is against stem cell research because of some non-religious objection to the use of human tissue, but it's fair to say that virtually 100% of the arguments used by the public are religious in origin.

(For those who will nitpick over women's rights, foreign policy, and possibly abortion, don't make me bitch slap you. I realize that there are some issues within these topics that are not religious. I'm trying to write an essay, not a book. Don't go down that road. I really don't want to spend the hour and a half necessary to refute this silly objection.)

So, it's not true that moderates only apply faith to the existence of God. The fact is, moderates may not believe the bible is literally true, but they adhere to the spirit of the Bible. Most will tell you that there is something bigger than human morality. They will say that some things are "just wrong," and don't need an explanation. These views are harder to pull out of them, because they realize how untenable their postion is, but at the heart of a moderate is a person who believes in some aspects of religion simply because it feels right to them. Think about it another way. If moderates only applied faith to the existence of god, their voting patterns would be identical to non-theists in the same demographics. But they're not.

Now, why is this important, and why does it mean that moderates are responsible for the fundamentalists' success in politics? As I've written before, moderate Christianity is simply a kinder, gentler version of Fundamentalism. Moderates look at the world and see that some of the Bible is not applicable to their lives, so they discard those parts. They pick and choose what they will believe based on their own conceptions of the world and morality.

Think about Fundamentalists now. They are just like the moderates. They pick and choose the parts of the bible that reflect their view of the world. There's simply no such thing as a real fundamentalist. What we call fundies are actually people who take a harsher cherry-picking approach to the bible. They take a lot of the meanness, bigotry, and hatred, and incorporate it into their belief system. However, if you are ever brave enough to go to one of their churches, notice that the women speak, and that the men wear their hair however they want. Notice that children are not stoned for disobedience, and there are very few witch burnings these days. Fundamentalists are the same as moderates. They pick and choose what they will have faith in.

Moderates have faith that god exists. They ostensibly choose to limit faith only to the existence of god, but that is simply not an option. Faith asserts that some things are true despite all the available evidence. Moderates have good logical evidence that faith should not be applied to things like Abortion Clinic Bombings. They're right to decry the activity. But, they have no leg on which to rest their objection. The fundamentalists are correct when they say that they have faith that the moderates are wrong. Once we have admitted that some things can be true despite being logically false, we have no way of saying which things fall under that category. After all, if god is real despite being logically impossible, it makes sense that abortion clinic bombings are actually a good thing, despite being socially unacceptable and demonstrably wrong by our social standards.

If faith is necessary for anything, it can be used for everything. There is no logical way to draw a line and say "Here is where faith ends." At any point that we use logic, those of faith can simply retort that "This is not about logic. It's about faith."

So, moderates provide the groundwork for fundamentalism. Eighty five percent of Americans (or so) believe in god. That means that eighty five percent believe that faith is a virtue. Sixty percent (or so) of Americans claim to be Moderates. Now, suppose that those sixty percent rejected faith as a virtue. That would mean that seventy five percent of Americans would not give the fundamentalists the time of day because of the ridiculous nature of their beliefs -- not ridiculous because of their content, but because of their foundation! If seventy five percent of Americans simply demanded scientific evidence, there would be no fundamentalist movement. There would be no debate over ID in schools.

Might there still be a debate over abortion, gay marriage, and women's rights? Yeah. There might be. But, we'd be on a lot higher ground arguing over the facts as opposed to how many of the facts we can overlook because of faith. Each and every moderate is partially responsible for the fundamentalists precisely because he does not repudiate the very foundation of fundamentalism. Unfortunately, he cannot do that because he would be repudiating his own "Kinder Gentler" version of insanity. Kinder, gentler insanity is still insanity.

This whole discussion of moderates is not over whether their beliefs are reasonable. Most of their political views are reasonable. Most of them are good people. Most of them think that fundamentalists are crazy. They tell Ray Comfort jokes and drink a beer during the game after going to church. They are very reasonable people. Unfortunately, the very foundation of their belief is what gives permission to those who would turn America into a theocracy. Their complicity is mostly through ignorance, so it is hard to hate them for what they believe to be a perfectly innocuous existence.

Nevertheless, they are responsible.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon

stuntgibbon wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

You're comparing apples with oranges.

I wonder who originally made this shit up. Who really cannot compare an apple to an orange? Both are fruits, you can compare their flavors, their acidity, shapes, colors, freshness, how much juice you can get out of either one... and you can sure prefer one to the other.

It's a figure of speech. But then again how can a speech be a figure? I mean can a build a statue out of speech?

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not only anti-theism,

I'm not only anti-theism, I'm anti-bad cliches (and/or figures of speech.)   Pot calling the kettle black is another one I think is lame.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:

Eloise wrote:
I agree with your saying that it does not have to be performed at an individual level, but I disagree on it not being voluntary, unless by involuntary you mean something along the lines of unconscious or even hypnotised behaviour, and I think you probably do, so all round I could hardly agree more.

I was speaking more in terms of certain memes that aren't necessarily recognized as being religious in origin, but are, and lack a counterpart in a materialist view. I don't have the figures, but anecdotally, I'd say dualism has more of a shelf life than, say, transubstantiation (at least with people I've met who consider themselves "spiritual" ), even though concepts both can be traced to religious sources. Add to this other memes, like "We only use ten percent of our brains, what is the rest for? (Communication with the soul!)" and you've got a bastardized religious belief adapted through pseudo-scientific myths, to seem plausible in the face of modern science. The soul is something assumed by a lot of people because it's introduced early, and in a variety of contexts, so it receives a kind of quasi-validation as an idea. Add to this the notion that the soul is introduced into a zygote at the moment of conception, whether it's recognized as a religious belief by the person holding it or not, and you've got what, IMO, amounts to a religious basis for decision making.

Eloise wrote:
Yes and sometime the deference to scripture is not as hollow as that seems but is rather a reasonable match for some felt or empathic sense of ethics that the holder is ill-equipped to argue directly. However, it is also true the more you defer the less of a moderate you become, so the holding of an ineffable feeling of morality isn't greatly defensible.

After reading a few paragraphs of Hamby's blog essay on this subject I would say that for the most he is referring to a culture of moderates which rely to heavily on the 'ineffable moral' defense to the point where it is simply unreasonable. And in that case i don't see an argument against moderate theism here, but rather an argument against plain and simple mental laziness, with which I wholly agree.

This is one of those threads I have to scan through repeatedly to remember what the point was. I've noticed a lot of objections to the indictment of US moderates are coming from outside the US. I don't know what the religious-political climate is in Australia, Canada or England, but in the US, pandering to religion in politics has been very fevered since the '80s, with the rise of Falwell's Moral Majority. Elsewhere, there was a distinction made between moderate Christians and right wing voters, but the two concepts are very much fused at this point in history, so that it's notable, say, when an American neo-conservative/neo-liberal isn't a Christian, or that a fundamentalist Christian isn't a conservative. It doesn't limit itself to extremes, though: there are gradations in the sense of obligation I think moderates feel to do their duty and vote conservative; and here, I think those memes play a role in making certain things sound "right" to people.

And, yes, mental laziness is a factor in most things in this country.

[Mod Edit: Forgive me Magilum, but I couldn't read your tiny print. I edited your post for font size.]

[magilum: OK, I've edited too, to fix a quote Sealed

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: Eloise

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Eloise wrote:

...you've said nothing that could set me straight on what the real point of your argument is. So where have I gone wrong? please correct me.

I am going to attempt to (very broadly) outline Hamby argument in 5 minutes or less using Ham's original words...

Argument: moderates are not just facilitators, but are the cause of the fundamentalist takeover of American politics

Point 1: Moderates and Fundamentalists both believe in faith.

Point 2: Moderates ostensibly use faith only for believing in God.

Point 3: moderates may not believe the bible is literally true, but they adhere to the spirit of the Bible

Here I interject to note a false dilemma. 

Moderates and Fundamentalists both believe in faith, but moderates apply faith differently. the two groups adhereing to the spirit of the bible differently is established in that premise when it is noted that moderates apply faith to an objective belief by definition, this precludes that the premise of adhereing to the bible spirit in moderate theism is application of faith to subjective belief as occurs in fundamentalism. Or in other words, if a moderate, by definition, believes in logic and only applies faith to belief in an objective question of a god, then they do not apply faith to the question of the bible witnessing its own authority (the fundamentalist spirit of the bible)

On those grounds I reject point 3. 

Quote:

Point 4: moderates are responsible for the fundamentalists' success in politics

I think that is a lot of blame and vehement self-serving bias, but I don't think it is a point supporting this argument, sorry. 

Quote:

Sub-Point 4a: moderate Christianity is simply a kinder, gentler version of Fundamentalism. ...

If it was that, it could not accomodate a belief in logic. This goes to my counter-point that what is being blanketly called faith here is more what I would call faith in authority. I won't dictate to you what the reality of the moderate christianity you've encountered in your life is, that is your own expereince to be judged by you and not me. But I will say that there are contradictions in what you are describing to me as moderate christianity.

Quote:

They pick and choose what they will believe based on their own conceptions of the world and morality.

Sub-Point 4b: What we call fundies are actually people who take a harsher cherry-picking approach to the bible

I think that Hamby's argument attempts to say both this, and something which basically contradicts this, at the same time.

Quote:

BIG HUGE SUMMARY POINT 5: If faith is necessary for anything, it can be used for everything.

Conclusion: So, moderates provide the groundwork for fundamentalism.

This is the point that Cpt is dealing with, if it were true then wherever moderate theism exists we would see the same pattern evolving. We don't, so it is a falsified conclusion. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
shelleymtjoy wrote:

Even if we lived in a world where religion never enter politics...

moderates are still dangerous. You can not respect the irrational beliefs of moderates and not respect the beliefs of fundamentalists.

You're comparing apples with oranges. The only fundie faith the moderates justify is the personal belief in God, as I'm trying to show it does not justify their faith in politics.

That's why I said, even if you were right about politics (which I don't believe you are - but I will assume you are for the sake of argument) there are still other problems with moderate theism.  (All theism is dangerous, IMO.)  You must be getting tired Pineapple because you're beginning to argue my points for me.  I'm pretty tired too, so I'll be going to bed now.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: That's

shelleymtjoy wrote:

That's why I said, even if you were right about politics (which I don't believe you are - but I will assume you are for the sake of argument)

That is the key to my argument. Oh wait, that is my argument.

Quote:

there are still other problems with moderate theism. (All theism is dangerous, IMO.) 

Irrelevant to my argument.  

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

That is the key to my argument. Oh wait, that is my argument.

Irrelevant to my argument.

Thank you pineapple.  This is exactly what I was hoping you would say.  I think it's great that you've found an exception to Hamby's argument.  (I don't agree with you but I'm going to just pretend for now that your word is good enough evidence.)  Now my point was that Hamby had a big huge argument and you just whipped past the crucial stuff and took one small aspect of it and (still pretending here!) proved it false.  Some how, some where in pretend country there are moderate theists believing in God in a totally isolated portion of their brain while the other 99% acts without this belief.  Great.  So we are now supposed to throw out the whole argument? 

I'm done pretending for now so can we please see some evidence?  While you're at at, why don't you tell us who your Prime Minister is.  I already know the answer to that one but I'll let you break the evangelical news. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Some how, some where in pretend country there are moderate theists believing in God in a totally isolated portion of their brain while the other 99% acts without this belief. Great. So we are now supposed to throw out the whole argument?

No, but you can throw out this strawman.

Quote:

I'm done pretending for now so can we please see some evidence?

I presented evidence.

Quote:

While you're at at, why don't you tell us who your Prime Minister is. I already know the answer to that one but I'll let you break the evangelical news.

That would be Stephen Harper, and yes he is Christian (I'm not sure if he's evangelical), but what's your point?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I was

magilum wrote:
I was speaking more in terms of certain memes that aren't necessarily recognized as being religious in origin, but are, and lack a counterpart in a materialist view.

These memes are intertwined in my argument, and are the more or less direct result of accepting faith as a virtue.

Quote:
Add to this other memes, like "We only use ten percent of our brains, what is the rest for? (Communication with the soul!)" and you've got a bastardized religious belief adapted through pseudo-scientific myths, to seem plausible in the face of modern science.

This is a good illustration of how things go haywire when we allow faith to have any appearance of validity.  

Quote:
After reading a few paragraphs of Hamby's blog essay on this subject I would say that for the most he is referring to a culture of moderates which rely to heavily on the 'ineffable moral' defense to the point where it is simply unreasonable. And in that case i don't see an argument against moderate theism here, but rather an argument against plain and simple mental laziness, with which I wholly agree.

My thesis is broader than this, but this is close.  My point is that despite the capability of many moderates to make good moral decisions (and thus vote appropriately, etc), they carry a "virus" of sorts.  Faith may lay essentially dormant in most moderates, but they are carriers of the meme and propogate it.

Quote:
there are gradations in the sense of obligation I think moderates feel to do their duty and vote conservative; and here, I think those memes play a role in making certain things sound "right" to people.

Again, my thesis does not hinge on U.S. voting patterns.  Rather, it is an example of what happens when the virus propogates.  I agree with your statement, and I stand by my example, but I refuse to allow it to be misconstrued as the brunt of my argument.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: and my argument is

Quote:
and my argument is that it is the authority which trumps reason, not the faith.

In the case of a military dictatorship, I conditionally agree with you. Justification of power in military dictatorships is entirely dependent on the number of guns pointed at dissenters. However, and this is a really big point, if you can't convince anyone to shoot the guns, you have no power, so ideas are still the foundation of authority.

In non-totalitarian governments, the political authorities are a reflection of the culture itself. Again, try to imagine a U.S. congress with only one openly atheist member if 75% of America was atheist. It simply couldn't happen.

Authority is a product of the acceptance of ideas. Ideas are the product of our rationale. Faith is invalid. Rationale including faith propogates more rationale including faith. It's really a very simple chain of causation.

I really don't want to get hung up on government. As I have repeatedly said, it is not critical to my argument.

Quote:
The antecedent of your argument is the faith in ineffable authority, not faith itself

No. Absolutely not. That is not the antecedent of my argument. Faith itself is the meme by which faith in ineffable authority can come to exist. Faith is the root cause of faith in ineffable authority. Just look at the definitions and you can see that it is necessarily true.

Quote:
the more one relies on this authority to trump reason, the less defensible the position is

If and only if reason is the ultimate judge. However, if faith has been allowed at all, it falls to the faithful only to produce a compelling enough appeal to emotion, patriotism, or whatever else will work sufficiently, to convince the powers that be that this is an instance where faith trumps reason.

After all, faith is about what you "feel" to be true, not what you can demonstrate to be true.

Quote:
and moreover, the less moderate it is.

As I have demonstrated, there may be political moderates and fundamentalists, but anyone who adheres to faith as a virtue is not moderate with regard to the foundations of truth -- only in their personal interpretation of it.

Quote:
That is, it's okay to say "I feel strongly this is wrong/right" and so look into it further while holding a position based on that feeling.

And I don't disagree with you. However, you're not talking about faith anymore. You're talking about intuition, which, all people of reason will agree, requires external verification before it can be taken seriously.

Quote:
There is a just limit to how much of our conscious belief system should be couched in such ideas because we have a thinking and reasoning mind as well, that's what makes me a moderate.

You feel that intuitively, but there is no way to prove it externally because you also feel that some things should be taken on faith.

Quote:
Fundies appeal to absolute faith ineffable authority in nearly all their reasoning, while moderates, alternately, defy authority that can not be reasoned with the exception of some intuitive, or felt, positions.

You're saying exactly what I've already said. Moderates embrace a less extreme version of Fundamentalism. They reject what they intuitively feel to be extreme, but once again, they have no basis other than their intuition. Logic will fail them because they have allowed faith into the equation.

It's not that their logic will be wrong. If they make a valid argument, it will be logically true. However, their own admission that some things are illogical, yet true, invalidates their conclusion. They simply can't respond to the rebuttal, "Yes, that's all very logical, but that's the wisdom of man, and God says that is foolishness. Therefore, I am right."

It will result in a neverending circle of logic vs. faith, with each side screaming louder each time, and neither having any way to come away with a clear victory because there is no objective measure by which to judge either side. The only hope is that more moderates than fundies will vote for the moderate view. Sometimes this happens. Often, it doesn't.

Quote:
This 60% have substantially independent world views, if we are to believe that they are cherry pickers, and so, to a notable extent, validation that they extend to fundies through their voting power is also subsantially independent from religion. Or in other words, they actually feel the same way about some things religion notwithstanding.

This is irrelevant to my argument, even if true. I have already addressed this multiple times. I am not saying that there would no longer be any debates about religious issues, or that issues that are currently argued on religious grounds would not be issues without the religious foundation. So long as the religious foundation is there and given public validation, the fundamentalists stand on equal ground with everyone else, and that is the difference that moderates make. If 80% of moderates voted with atheists, they would still be silently validating fundamentalists.

Let me make this very clear. The voting patterns of moderates have absolutely nothing to do with my arguments.

Quote:
But this religion is an umbrella culture in the US, has been for some time, and moreover it has done some damage to the social infrastructure, to me those are the more pertinent reasons why American moderates tacitly support american fundies, not because the moderates have religion or faith or what have you.

I appreciate your concern here, but so long as you promote faith as a virtue, you have no leg to stand on.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Now my point was

Quote:
Now my point was that Hamby had a big huge argument and you just whipped past the crucial stuff and took one small aspect of it and (still pretending here!) proved it false.

Not only this, but he's theoretically only proven the existence of a situation in which moderates don't vote with the fundamentalists.  He's still plugging away at this despite the fact that I have demonstrated that this is completely irrelevant to the crux of my argument.

In even simpler terms, I've done this...

Point one.

Point two.

Point three.

Conclusion.

Example: Some countries' voting patterns demonstrate how this argument works.

Pineapple: I can show one example where the voting patterns don't demonstrate how this argument works.  Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Looks pretty silly when you put it this way, doesn't it?

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Now my point was that Hamby had a big huge argument and you just whipped past the crucial stuff and took one small aspect of it and (still pretending here!) proved it false.

Not only this, but he's theoretically only proven the existence of a situation in which moderates don't vote with the fundamentalists. He's still plugging away at this despite the fact that I have demonstrated that this is completely irrelevant to the crux of my argument.

In even simpler terms, I've done this...

Point one.

Point two.

Point three.

Conclusion.

Example: Some countries' voting patterns demonstrate how this argument works.

Pineapple: I can show one example where the voting patterns don't demonstrate how this argument works. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Looks pretty silly when you put it this way, doesn't it?

You want my argument in point form? Fine. First I'll set up a base. Then I'll proceed.

- Moderates take secular things on logic (evolution etc..) Fundies take it on faith (ID/creation etc..)

I'm sure we both agree on this.

-Moderates take the existance of God on faith.

Agreed?

-You argue this faith of the moderates justifies the faith of the fundies since there is no line of where faith should stop. If we take one thing on faith, what's stopping us from taking something else on faith?

Correct?

Now mine:

P1: It is unethical to force your views based on faith onto another. For example, I have faith you robbed a bank. That is not good enough.This affects you directly, so  I need evidence/logic if I were to take away your freedom.

P2: It is therefore unethical for the fundies to force their religious beliefs onto others since they are based on faith.

C: The moderates do have a leg to stand on. You may regonize it as little documents known as the constiution and the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. The freedom TO and FROM religion.

The reson I brought up the Canadian stats is to show you how a country is suppose to work. You yourself said Canada's political climate is much different than the U.S, yet we have a Christian majority.  The Canadians are following the law. The U.S is not.

Let me do this by analogy.

Social drinkers justify drunk drivers. Social drinkers don't have a leg to stand on to talk down to drunk drivers since they drink themselves ergo justifying the drunk driver's actions. After all, where do we draw the line of how much drinking is too much?

Sound absurd? I hope so. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pineapple, I'm going to

Pineapple, I'm going to explain this to you exactly one more time, then I'm going to completely ignore you every time you repeat the same thing.

Quote:
P1: It is unethical to force your views based on faith onto another.

This is your point.

Quote:
For example, I have faith you robbed a bank. That is not good enough.This affects you directly, so I need evidence/logic if I were to take away your freedom.

This is not an example of your point. This is an example of why, logically, evidence is necessary to prove an assertion. Your use of faith is not consistent with the theological definition, and so this whole point is irrelevant, even if it did match your point.

Furthermore, you have not demonstrated the proof of your claim. You have only asserted it. In order to prove this, you must do so with theological faith included in the proof, since you assert that faith and reason can stand side by side.

You must prove, using logic, that logic is not valid when faith is, but only when faith is valid logically. Good luck.

Quote:
P2: It is therefore unethical for the fundies to force their religious beliefs onto others since they are based on faith.

Technically, this should be C1, since it starts with Therefore, but no biggie. It doesn't follow because you haven't proven P1, so we may discard it.

Quote:
C: The moderates do have a leg to stand on. You may regonize it as little documents known as the constiution and the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. The freedom TO and FROM religion.

You have given an example of a document that asserts freedom to and from religion. This is a very nice example of such a document, but it is utterly, completely, and in all other ways, irrelevant and inconsequential to the argument I have made.

You have made a naked assertion without a logical proof as a response to a thoroughly explained and logically backed argument. Until this situation changes, I will not be explaining it to you each and every time you repeat the mistake.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Okay before I continue, I

Okay before I continue, I want something cleared up.

You said my example on bank robbery is irrelevant, because it's a different type of faith from the theological.

I think I get it now, but I want to make sure:

Are you asking how we (or moderates) can logically argue against a fundie that says "God wants us to do X"?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
   AHA! moment. I have

AHA! moment.

I have just seen the centre of your argument, I think, so I will skip straight to it. (maybe answer the rest afterward)

Hambydammit wrote:

It's not that their logic will be wrong. If they make a valid argument, it will be logically true. However, their own admission that some things are illogical, yet true, invalidates their conclusion. They simply can't respond to the rebuttal, "Yes, that's all very logical, but that's the wisdom of man, and God says that is foolishness. Therefore, I am right."

Well the answer to that is that God doesn't say that it is foolishness, he just says he can trump it. So what? he not thee..

it's written:

Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing and benefits those who see the sun.

Quote:

It will result in a neverending circle of logic vs. faith, with each side screaming louder each time, and neither having any way to come away with a clear victory because there is no objective measure by which to judge either side.

Well moderates have a tendency to be able to argue faith vs faith as well as faith vs logic. The difference is that a moderate is more likely to use faith vs logic argument for their own personal beliefs and faith vs faith when confronted by someone who only goes on faith.

Quote:

The only hope is that more moderates than fundies will vote for the moderate view. Sometimes this happens. Often, it doesn't.

The third option works. There is always the option that we will come together over better solutions that don't even polarise us.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
and my argument is that it is the authority which trumps reason, not the faith.

In the case of a military dictatorship, I conditionally agree with you. Justification of power in military dictatorships is entirely dependent on the number of guns pointed at dissenters. However, and this is a really big point, if you can't convince anyone to shoot the guns, you have no power, so ideas are still the foundation of authority.

I'm talking more about the idea of God (ergo the Bible) as the ultimate authority. It is this I think you are referring to most of the times you say 'faith' in your argument.

Quote:

In non-totalitarian governments, the political authorities are a reflection of the culture itself. Again, try to imagine a U.S. congress with only one openly atheist member if 75% of America was atheist. It simply couldn't happen.

Authority is a product of the acceptance of ideas. Ideas are the product of our rationale. Faith is invalid. Rationale including faith propogates more rationale including faith. It's really a very simple chain of causation.

Faith isn't invalid it is completely possibly to 'hold certain' things that are not visible or tangible, it's entirely true that affirmation has a psychological and physical, real, effect on human experience. It's not invalid at all.

Now, the idea of the bible witnessing it's own authority without ever being questioned, that's invalid.

There seems to be a correlation fallacy in your argument which is giving me no end of frustration. Please define faith as you are meaning it.

Quote:
Quote:
The antecedent of your argument is the faith in ineffable authority, not faith itself

No. Absolutely not. That is not the antecedent of my argument. Faith itself is the meme by which faith in ineffable authority can come to exist. Faith is the root cause of faith in ineffable authority. Just look at the definitions and you can see that it is necessarily true.

I don't see how that is necessarily true. What's your argument for it?

Quote:
Quote:
the more one relies on this authority to trump reason, the less defensible the position is

If and only if reason is the ultimate judge. However, if faith has been allowed at all, it falls to the faithful only to produce a compelling enough appeal to emotion, patriotism, or whatever else will work sufficiently, to convince the powers that be that this is an instance where faith trumps reason.

You must be kidding? No, you're not, are you?

well I guess that can happen, but the idea that allowing faith at all is the sole or even major facilitator of such ludicrous behaviour is overgeneralising a bit I think.

Quote:

After all, faith is about what you "feel" to be true, not what you can demonstrate to be true.

yeah, but the faith you're talking about above requires a demonstration, so it's not the same is it?

Quote:
Quote:
and moreover, the less moderate it is.

As I have demonstrated, there may be political moderates and fundamentalists, but anyone who adheres to faith as a virtue is not moderate with regard to the foundations of truth -- only in their personal interpretation of it.

the foundations of truth? who has those?

No I'm serious, a moderate who doesn't question any claim of having the foundations of truth, I'm yet to meet.

Quote:
Quote:
That is, it's okay to say "I feel strongly this is wrong/right" and so look into it further while holding a position based on that feeling.

And I don't disagree with you. However, you're not talking about faith anymore. You're talking about intuition, which, all people of reason will agree, requires external verification before it can be taken seriously.

No I'm talking about faith. You can't see intuition, but you can believe in it. Intuition doesn't require external verification before it can be taken seriously, but if you don't at least seek some in regard to taking it seriously then your actions could be taken as less moderate than moderate.

Quote:
Quote:
There is a just limit to how much of our conscious belief system should be couched in such ideas because we have a thinking and reasoning mind as well, that's what makes me a moderate.

You feel that intuitively, but there is no way to prove it externally because you also feel that some things should be taken on faith.

No, not really. A moderate is not likely to just "take something on faith", or feel that anything should be just taken on faith, I shouldn't think. It still seems to me that you are talking of a specifc culture of moderate thinking rather than a generalisation of moderate thought from the basis of the definition you outlaid originally.

Quote:

I appreciate your concern here, but so long as you promote faith as a virtue, you have no leg to stand on.

I'd best be the judge of that myself. Eye-wink

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Okay

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Okay before I continue, I want something cleared up.

You said my example on bank robbery is irrelevant, because it's a different type of faith from the theological.

I think I get it now, but I want to make sure:

Are you asking how we (or moderates) can logically argue against a fundie that says "God wants us to do X"?

Bah, disregard this post. I shouldn't post when I'm in a hurry and thinking too fast.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't blame the moderate

Don't blame the moderate theists! It's the moderate atheists' fault for not uniting in the fight against faith! Their refusal to cry out against irrationality gives moderate theists the opening of social acceptance to freely believe in whatever nonsense they choose to douse themselves in! They lay the groundwork for moderate theism! Really!

For the record, I consider myself all of a fundy, a moderate, and a liberal in my religion. When you make things up for yourself, you tend to expand across the whole of the theological spectrum.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:   You must prove,

Quote:

You must prove, using logic, that logic is not valid when faith is, but only when faith is valid logically. Good luck.

You seem to be missing the key difference between moderates and fundies.

Quote:

Moderate: A Christian, or pseudo-Christian, who believes in God, and probably Jesus, and also believes in science, evolution, and logic.

Why do moderates accept evolution, science etc...?

The answer is simple. There are facts about evolution. There are facts about science

I saw in another thread, where you wrote

Quote:

Faith is defined as belief in something despite evidence to the contrary or complete lack of evidence.

So there are two parts of faith:

1: despite evidence to the contrary

and

2: complete lack of evidence.

Moderates work on 2. (I actually disagre with this, but for the sake of argument, say there is no evidence for God) 

You see, if there is no direct evidence for God, they have to use faith, there is no data to look at. In the secular world however, there is science/logic. They don't have to use faith as there is data to look at.  There is evidence all around them. For example, they may see evidence that homosexuality is perfectly natural. The views on the secular world are falsafiable. The existance of God is not.  

The fundies however work on the first part  

despite evidence to the contrary, they say evolution is a lie, or homosexuality is a sin. 

This is why I said it is unethical. By saying homosexuality is a sin or evolution is invalid, they are being decieving, going against the data.

We can test for stuff like this, because the data is accesable.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I'm talking more

Quote:
I'm talking more about the idea of God (ergo the Bible) as the ultimate authority. It is this I think you are referring to most of the times you say 'faith' in your argument.

There's a point at which I have to just assume you either don't want to get my argument or are not going to. Please stop with this ultimate authority bit. It's not necessary for faith to be in any particular authority.

Quote:

Faith isn't invalid it is completely possibly to 'hold certain' things that are not visible or tangible, it's entirely true that affirmation has a psychological and physical, real, effect on human experience. It's not invalid at all.

Now, the idea of the bible witnessing it's own authority without ever being questioned, that's invalid.

There seems to be a correlation fallacy in your argument which is giving me no end of frustration. Please define faith as you are meaning it.

You've been on the boards long enough to have seen this argument. I will not deflect this thread to explain it again. Please review the following essays if you're still not convinced. Your denial of this fact is not relevant to my argument because you're just plain wrong.

The Two Meanings of Faith

Does Everyone Start With an Assumption?

For this essay, when I use the word faith, I am referring to the theological sense of the word. I will review to make sure I have not used faith in the colloquial sense in any instance. If I have, I will change it to "reasonable certainty."

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how that is necessarily true. What's your argument for it?

Are you serious? If you have faith in ineffable authority, you must have faith. I need not have faith in ineffable authority to have faith in something, but I must have faith in something to have faith in ineffable authority.

Quote:
well I guess that can happen, but the idea that allowing faith at all is the sole or even major facilitator of such ludicrous behaviour is overgeneralising a bit I think.

The fact that it doesn't happen in all instances has no bearing on the fact that it could happen in all instances.

The fact that other facilitators could lead to such behaviour has no bearing on the fact that faith does lead to such behaviour.

You're deflecting just like Pineapple now. You're pointing out the existence of non-related but similar phenomena and suggesting that they somehow invalidate my argument.

I'm not going to continue pointing out the same kinds of deflections. There's a point at which I'm just going to have to decide that you're not going to get it. Please try to understand why your objection is not relevant. Do you know how to represent arguments symbolically? Maybe if you reduce it to symbols it will be easier to understand. I dunno.

Quote:
yeah, but the faith you're talking about above requires a demonstration, so it's not the same is it?

In my previous response, I explained that it is you, not me, who is equivocating the colloquial and theological versions of faith. Please review that response.

Quote:

No I'm serious, a moderate who doesn't question any claim of having the foundations of truth, I'm yet to meet.

I'm starting to get aggravated. I've spelled this out in the plainest English I know how to use.

Moderates do not question faith as a means of acquiring knowledge. If they do question it, they do not arrive at the correct answer, or they would not still be moderates.

The essay I linked above, about assertions, explains the foundations of knowledge. I should have used the word reality instead of truth, but it's a minor point. They may be used essentially interchangably in that context.

Quote:
No I'm talking about faith. You can't see intuition, but you can believe in it. Intuition doesn't require external verification before it can be taken seriously, but if you don't at least seek some in regard to taking it seriously then your actions could be taken as less moderate than moderate.

Please read This Essay again, and again if necessary until you understand the difference between colloquial and theological faith. I refuse to type for an hour explaining something that has been explained brilliantly already. If you don't know why we (humans) believe in intuition, you need to learn more about what intuition is. There are tons of good books about it. Just do an Amazon search, and pick one written by a scientist, not a layman, or worse... a theologian.

Quote:
No, not really. A moderate is not likely to just "take something on faith", or feel that anything should be just taken on faith, I shouldn't think. It still seems to me that you are talking of a specifc culture of moderate thinking rather than a generalisation of moderate thought from the basis of the definition you outlaid originally.

This is officially the last time I'm going to answer the same objection. What you do individually, and what any or all moderates do individually, is not in any way relevant to my argument. I am specifically not taking any particular moderate. I am taking the entire group of moderates and demonstrating the very thing that allows the group to exist -- literally, its defining feature.

Quote:

Everyone makes their own decisions. I'm trying very hard to give you enough information to make the correct one.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
You seem to be missing the key difference between moderates and fundies.

... said the pot to the kettle.

Quote:

1: despite evidence to the contrary

and

2: complete lack of evidence.

This is the closest thing you've had to an actual argument, but it's still not right. With regard to any and all gods defined as supernatural, there IS evidence to the contrary. You, better than any theist here, know that supernatural literally refers to nothing. Any supernatural god is literally defined as nonexistent.

I'm not going to quote the rest of your post, or respond to it because your premise is demonstrably false.

[edit: furthermore, one need not believe in a god.  Any thing defined as supernatural is necessarily nonexistent.]

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This essay is

This essay is manipulative and dishonest.

For example:

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Bible: New Testament. Hebrews 11:1.

i.e., it is belief without justification.

Huh? No it's not.

The substance of things hoped for - ie: if they come to pass then faith is just future configurations of energy, if they don't then it is imaginative potential. Future and potential are justifiable to believe in, I don't see how they are not.   

and:

Furthermore:

Romans 8:24-25: “For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.” (NKJV)

Here Paul makes it clear that one cannot have non contingent faith is one has facts! If one has a reason to believe, he cannot have theistic faith by definition!

No he doesn't!

why does one still hope for what he sees? :  ie why bother hoping for what you already have when you can hope for what you can imagine.

Hamby, it's Tod that's making an equivocation, of faith and stupidity. That whole essay is impolite, presumptious, biased, self absorbed nonsense.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Hamby, it's Tod

Quote:
Hamby, it's Tod that's making an equivocation, of faith and stupidity. That whole essay is impolite, presumptious, biased, self absorbed nonsense.

Here, we are at an impasse, and the debate is over.  If you cannot understand this equivocation, it will be impossible for you to understand my argument.

Perhaps the tone is impolite, but the conclusions are valid, and your estimation of the self-absorption of the author has nothing to do with the validity of his argument.

I think it's very telling that you have resorted to angry ad hominems... the last resort of the defeated.

In any case, I'm not going to debate with you any more on this subject.  I'm sorry that you can't understand it, but I think you have demonstrated clearly why religious indoctrination is so dangerous.

Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: The

Eloise wrote:
The substance of things hoped for - ie: if they come to pass then faith is just future configurations of energy, if they don't then it is imaginative potential. Future and potential are justifiable to believe in, I don't see how they are not.

I've been wondering what the supposed distinction is between the dictionary definition of faith as a belief requiring no proof, and what many believers allude to it being. Either I'm no closer to understanding it, or there's nothing to understand. In the common religious use, I take the term to mean unconditional belief: that which confirms my beliefs confirms them, that which contradicts them can be rationalized to confirm them.

I watched a segment on YouTube of a discussion between Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath that had been cut from "The Root of All Evil?" in which Dawkins challenges McGrath on the meaning of faith. Having talked at length about what he saw as the explanatory potential of the existence of a god as justification for his beliefs, McGrath says that's not the main reason he believes. He then says that there is a limit to science and reason where faith must take over, but that his faith is rationally informed by his view that the gospel authors were impressed enough by the explanatory potential of a god to believe it themselves. Aye-ayeayeayeayeayeaye...

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

There's a point at which I have to just assume you either don't want to get my argument or are not going to. Please stop with this ultimate authority bit. It's not necessary for faith to be in any particular authority.

I have never said it is. I am pointing out the lurking variable of your correlation fallacy is AUTHORITY. For fundamentalists, authority is what they have faith in (this is where the contenders Tod is answering, in the second essay you linked, are coming from), this is not the case for moderates who repsect the authority given by hard work, honest effort and reason and believe in what has come of that, ie science, evolution, humanitarian philosophy.. etc

When you say that the religious rely on faith as a source of knowledge you are not accurately representing your definition of moderates as believers in evolution, science and jesus etc.

Cpt picked up on this as I said it and you didn't, what does that say about moderate theists then, Hamby? We understand each other, but you're the one who is right about us? I think not.

Quote:

For this essay, when I use the word faith, I am referring to the theological sense of the word. I will review to make sure I have not used faith in the colloquial sense in any instance. If I have, I will change it to "reasonable certainty."

You started your argument, with the premise that moderates apply 'reasonable certainty' to everything with the one exception of the existence of God. Now I have so far left that statement untouched in this thread, I figured it for irrelevent, while your offering though, perhaps you could include in your premise the moderate religious following known colloquially as 'seekers' and note that their faith in god is of a contingent nature (hence the name seeker).

Quote:

Are you serious? If you have faith in ineffable authority, you must have faith. I need not have faith in ineffable authority to have faith in something, but I must have faith in something to have faith in ineffable authority.

AHHH but the authority comes first, the faith follows because of the authority. You might know this better as the Fear of God. To have this faith you must acknowledge the authority. It's fear-based (or stupidity based) faith but it's still faith because it has the same tendency to produce psychological and physical effects on the person and their experience.

it seems to me our major contention is that I am questioning the religious notion of 'faith alone' from a psychological standpoint and you're not. Strangely ironic isn't it?

Quote:

In my previous response, I explained that it is you, not me, who is equivocating the colloquial and theological versions of faith. Please review that response.

I, respectfully, disagree.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm starting to get aggravated. I've spelled this out in the plainest English I know how to use.

Moderates do not question faith as a means of acquiring knowledge.

Let me spell it out in plain english. Bullshit.

Quote:

If they do question it, they do not arrive at the correct answer, or they would not still be moderates.

That is an assertion of the non-existence of God, careful there Hamby, or you'll turn the burden of proof against yourself.

Quote:

Quote:

Everyone makes their own decisions. I'm trying very hard to give you enough information to make the correct one.

arrogant.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Here, we are at an impasse, and the debate is over. If you cannot understand this equivocation, it will be impossible for you to understand my argument.

Perhaps the tone is impolite, but the conclusions are valid, and your estimation of the self-absorption of the author has nothing to do with the validity of his argument.

I think it's very telling that you have resorted to angry ad hominems... the last resort of the defeated.

In any case, I'm not going to debate with you any more on this subject. I'm sorry that you can't understand it, but I think you have demonstrated clearly why religious indoctrination is so dangerous.

You're not going to debate because you can't prove your case against mine. you are being intellectually dishonest and resorting to ad hominem yourself. My ad hominem is not fallacious, I am attacking the credibility of the argument, it is written with presumption and bias, by an person who is obviously too absorbed by their own self-importance to see the ad hoc, non sequitur lies they are using to justify their position.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
As I've already said, I

As I've already said, I refuse to debate you while you are simply resorting to ad hominems and angry attacks.

Call me what you will, but if you cannot refute the arguments, then you have clearly lost the debate.  Until and unless we come to an agreement on the definition of faith, it is pointless to discuss your other objections.

The argument has been presented clearly in the essay I linked.  If you cannot refute it, you must concede the point or plead ignorance.  In either case, you cannot maintain your position in a debate.

Call me rude if you like, but I will not let you gloss over this point, as it is crucial to the argument.  Either refute it or admit defeat.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: My ad hominem is not

Quote:
My ad hominem is not fallacious, I am attacking the credibility of the argument

Then refute it.

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
My ad hominem is not fallacious, I am attacking the credibility of the argument

Then refute it.

I did. you have not answered my refutation on tod's definition of theological faith. 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: As I've

Hambydammit wrote:

As I've already said, I refuse to debate you while you are simply resorting to ad hominems and angry attacks.

Call me what you will, but if you cannot refute the arguments, then you have clearly lost the debate. Until and unless we come to an agreement on the definition of faith, it is pointless to discuss your other objections.

The argument has been presented clearly in the essay I linked. If you cannot refute it, you must concede the point or plead ignorance. In either case, you cannot maintain your position in a debate.

Call me rude if you like, but I will not let you gloss over this point, as it is crucial to the argument. Either refute it or admit defeat.

you're dreaming Hamby, where have I not refuted? How quickly you resort to telling me I must take tods essay on faith when I find it completely invalid. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your refutation is that

Your refutation is that Todangst is a prick, so he's wrong?

Please step back for a minute and think about this.  A refutation consists of either:

1) Demonstrating the logical impossibility of the argument

2) Proposing an argument that is demonstrably more likely than the one given.  (This cannot actually apply because Todangst's argument is not one of probability.)

3) Demonstrating a fallacious premise

4) Demonstrating inaccurate data.  (Also highly unlikely, since Todangst is not building a case from accumulated data.)

In all of these cases, demonstration must be either logical or factual, where the facts are empirically true.

You have not done any of this.  You've attacked Todangst's tone, and asserted (with no backing) that his argument is twaddle.

Again, for the last time, I challenge you.  Refute the position or admit defeat.

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I've been wondering what the supposed distinction is between the dictionary definition of faith as a belief requiring no proof, and what many believers allude to it being. Either I'm no closer to understanding it, or there's nothing to understand.

There's nothing to understand besides that religions, over the centuries, have probably (almost certainly) tried to hone the impact of their 'selling point' somewhat to make it sound like there is something further to understand when there is not.

Quote:

In the common religious use, I take the term to mean unconditional belief:

that sounds right I should think, but this is not a stand alone principle, faith is supposed to move mountains, to bring validation, to make it's own evidence. And these both need to reconcile somewhere, it's a mystery (challenge, puzzle, mindgame for your entertainment), even by biblical definition, and mysteries are contingent.

Quote:

that which confirms my beliefs confirms them, that which contradicts them can be rationalized to confirm them.

That sounds like a selling point for stupidity.

Quote:

I watched a segment on YouTube of a discussion between Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath that had been cut from "The Root of All Evil?" in which Dawkins challenges McGrath on the meaning of faith. Having talked at length about what he saw as the explanatory potential of the existence of a god as justification for his beliefs, McGrath says that's not the main reason he believes. He then says that there is a limit to science and reason where faith must take over, but that his faith is rationally informed by his view that the gospel authors were impressed enough by the explanatory potential of a god to believe it themselves. Aye-ayeayeayeayeayeaye...

would you call McGrath a moderate? sorry, I don't know the name, I'll look him up.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   3)

Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 3) Demonstrating a

Quote:

Thank you for accurately reproducing my text.  Now provide the demonstration, please.

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for accurately reproducing my text. Now provide the demonstration, please.

It's been done. you're just ignoring it.

Tod's argument is that:

Premise: A=a

Premise: B=b

Premise: b and a are not equal

Conclusion: therefore A and B are not equal.

And if you look upthread a few posts you will see I refuted the premise that A=a

edit: furthermore I noted that it was ad hoc bullshit written with a tone of obvious scathing and bias seemingly intended to pass for argument.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, you're embarrassing

Eloise, you're embarrassing yourself. Please stop.

A bunch of symbols are not an argument. If you are going to refute him symbolically, you must first accurately represent his argument symbolically. You have not done this.

Before you waste your time, you don't get the priviledge of simply declaring what his definitions are. You must use his if you are to refute his argument. It is the claimant who declares the meaning of his words within epistemological rights. If you find a definition to be outside of the claimant's epistemological rights, you must defend this position.

I'm not blind. I know what you feel your refutation is. You think his definition sucks. But, Eloise, that's not a refutation. That's a baseless asssertion. If you don't know how to establish a definition, you're not going to be able to do this.

I'll even get you started on this, because I really want you to learn why you're wrong. Todangst has made a distinction between contingent and non-contingent faith.

So, Todangst's assertion is that some things are believed based on experience and induction, and others are based on exactly the opposite -- lack of experience or induction, or experiences and inductions contrary to the belief.

To prove that this is the case, Todangst need only demonstrate the existence of one example of each. I'll provide you with two of my own now, and justify his distinction.

1) I believe that when I sit in my chair, it will not fall down.

This is contingent belief. I do not have certainty, but I do have the prior knowledge that each of the thousands of times I have sat in this chair, it has held my weight. Furthermore, I don't weigh significantly more than I did last time, and the chair appears to be in more or less the same state of repair as it was last time I sat in it. I therefore have reasonable certainty that my chair will bear me up with aplomb.

2) My friend believes that picking her daughter's birthday as lottery numbers will increase her chance of winning.

This is non-contingent belief. There is simply no experience in recorded history that supports this idea. First, the mechanism by which lottery balls are chosen can be empirically demonstrated to be as close to random as humanly possible. Second, adhering to the principle of statistics and confirmation bias, we can reasonably conclude that any winners who actually did pick their daughter's birthday were statistically consistent based on the number of participants who adhere to the practice. In other words, if 999 out of 1000 people pick their daughter's birthday, the odds are that the winner will have done this. This does not increase the odds of any individual winning over the others. Furthermore, there has been no demonstrated physical difference between my friend and any other human, such that the difference would lead us to conclude that she, alone among humans, has the ability to influence lottery numbers.

I could go on listing hundreds of reasons why this belief is not supported either logically or factually, but the point is sufficiently made. There is both a complete lack of evidence for the belief and a slew of contradictory evidence.

Now, I have demonstrated that these two types of belief exist. For the purpose of this proof, I will assign the definitions as such:

Faith(C) = Contingent Belief

Faith(N) = Noncontingent belief

At this point, I am able to make my claim:

Faith(N) is the type of belief held by those who believe in God.

In order to prove this false, you must either:

1) Demonstrate that there is valid, non-fallacious evidence for a positively defined god

2) Invalidate my example by proving that there is a reason to believe that my friend can influence the lottery numbers, forcing me to either A) Abandon my definition, or B) Produce another example that I believe to be better.

Please, procede with your refutation.  Your Nobel Prize awaits.

Books about atheism

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: would you

Eloise wrote:

would you call McGrath a moderate? sorry, I don't know the name, I'll look him up.

http://www.eppc.org/Conferences/eventID.121/conf_detail.asp

There's a link to watch a video of the event in blue right after the first paragraph. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: Eloise

shelleymtjoy wrote:
Eloise wrote:

There's a link to watch a video of the event in blue right after the first paragraph. 

Oh, the point wasn't that he was a moderate (he's an apologist), but that I found his explanation of a different definition of faith confusing and circular.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Eloise, you're embarrassing yourself. Please stop.

A bunch of symbols are not an argument. If you are going to refute him symbolically, you must first accurately represent his argument symbolically. You have not done this.

Before you waste your time, you don't get the priviledge of simply declaring what his definitions are.

Hamby, I QUOTED his definition. don't be so ignorant.

Quote:

If you find a definition to be outside of the claimant's epistemological rights, you must defend this position.

first I think i'll defend the existence of my challenge. When you acknowledge it exists, then we'll decide what I am challenging.

Quote:

I'm not blind. I know what you feel your refutation is. You think his definition sucks.

Pathetic, Hamby. I showed his definition to be non-sequitur. there is justification for belief or 'faith" which is "the substance of what is hoped for". Future and potential. Don't ignore the facts Hamby.

Quote:

But, Eloise, that's not a refutation. That's a baseless asssertion. If you don't know how to establish a definition, you're not going to be able to do this.

cut the crap. You resort constantly to this patronising tone as though it actually proves something about my argument. Please stop.

Quote:

I'll even get you started on this, because I really want you to learn why you're wrong. Todangst has made a distinction between contingent and non-contingent faith.

And it is false. The theology he quoted did not support his definition of non-contingent faith so he just used an ad hoc interpretation and filled in the gaps with Martin Luther rambling.

Quote:

So, Todangst's assertion is that some things are believed based on experience and induction, and others are based on exactly the opposite -- lack of experience or induction, or experiences and inductions contrary to the belief.

To prove that this is the case,<snip>

extraneous.

The point is:

A. the definition of colloquial faith = contigent

B. the definition of theological faith = non-contingent

C. to prove theological faith is non contingent look at my ad hoc position on these bible passages <insert non-sequitur>

C is false reasoning. Argument refuted.

Quote:

Now, I have demonstrated that these two types of belief exist. For the purpose of this proof, I will assign the definitions as such:

Faith(C) = Contingent Belief

Faith(N) = Noncontingent belief

you have not demonstrated that contingent and non-contingent is the difference between theological and non-theological faith. Where have you correctly linked theological faith to the non-contingent?

Quote:

At this point, I am able to make my claim:

Faith(N) is the type of belief held by those who believe in God.

No you can't. I gave you an example of contingent believers already in this thread. pay attention.

Quote:

In order to prove this false, you must either:

1) Demonstrate that there is valid, non-fallacious evidence for a positively defined god

2) Invalidate my example by proving that there is a reason to believe that my friend can influence the lottery numbers, forcing me to either A) Abandon my definition, or B) Produce another example that I believe to be better.

I do not. You have fallaciously linked the contingent belief to belief in God (unless you are speaking of a specific culture in which there is proof positive of it like Tod's Martin Luther King example) so you first have to prove that your generalisation holds where you're arguing for it.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum

magilum wrote:
shelleymtjoy wrote:
Eloise wrote:

Oh, the point wasn't that he was a moderate (he's an apologist), but that I found his explanation of a different definition of faith confusing and circular.

Thanks Shelley, I will look into it.

Magilum:

yes I saw that point, I read it that you found his definition reasonable up to the point where he was cornered by Dawkins applied it to himself and came up contradicting. Was I right to think that?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum

magilum wrote:
shelleymtjoy wrote:

Oh, the point wasn't that he was a moderate (he's an apologist), but that I found his explanation of a different definition of faith confusing and circular.

Gotcha.  It's not just some random video though - it is long but it does relate to this discussion. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The point is: A.

Quote:

The point is:

C. to prove theological faith is non contingent look at my ad hoc position on these bible passages <insert non-sequitur>

I'm sorry. I can't do this anymore. You're just getting more and more beligerent, and you're not even remotely addressing the issue.

Quote:
Pathetic, Hamby. I showed his definition to be non-sequitur.

No, you claimed it is a non-sequitur. You don't just get to claim something and then it's real. You must prove it. Claim does not equal proof.

Quote:
there is justification for belief in faith which is "the substance of what is hoped for". Future and potential.

Future and potential are contingent.

Quote:

But, Eloise, that's not a refutation. That's a baseless asssertion. If you don't know how to establish a definition, you're not going to be able to do this.

cut the crap. You resort constantly to this patronising tone as though it actually proves something about my argument. Please stop.

I quoted myself so that we can sort out who's resorting to what.

But, Eloise, that's not a refutation. (That's pretty straight forward. Do you object to the use of the word, "But"? The fact that I used your name? Surely it's nothing in "That's not a refutation." It couldn't be more straightforward.)

That's a baseless assertion. (Neutral. After saying what it is not, I have told you what it is.)

If you don't know how to establish a definition, you're not going to be able to do this. (This is completely true, and based on your complete lack of refutation after multiple attempts, it seems a reasonable conclusion. Note, I didn't say, "You don't know how..." I said, "If you don't know how." If anythinig, I'm giving you more benefit of the doubt than you deserve.)

Now, let's look at what you said:

cut the crap. (No indication what the crap might be.)

You resort constantly to this patronising tone as though it actually proves something about my argument. (Actually, all I've done this whole time is explain to you why your argument is wrong. 'm sorry that you feel that telling you the truth is patronizing. Perhaps you'd like me to simply agree with you so you'll feel better? Now THAT was a patronizing thing to say. See the difference?)

Quote:
The theology he quoted did not support his definition of non-contingent faith so he just used an ad hoc interpretation and filled in the gaps with Martin Luther rambling.

First, I'm not going here with you because it's unnecessary. I gave you an example of non-contingent faith. I have established its existence and asserted that it applies to God. Now you must prove that God is a contingent belief, or you must abandon your claim.

Second, claiming it does not support the definition is another baseless assertion. You must demonstrate your claims.

Quote:
you have not demonstrated that contingent and non-contingent is the difference between theological and non-theological faith.

Well, it's really obvious. I didn't think you needed to be spoon fed. (That, too, was patronizing. I want you to be clear on the difference.)

My claim: There is no valid evidence for the existence of a positively defined god.

Your refutation is stupid simple. Provide a positive definition and valid evidence for a god.

Stop bitching about my link and refute it, or give up this insipid argument.

Quote:
No you can't. I gave you an example of contingent believers already in this thread. pay attention.

You made a naked assertion that they exist, but you have yet to provide a positive definition for god with supporting evidence.

This is honestly just getting stupid. This has been done over and over, and you've watched it over and over. I'm sorry it makes you mad that you can't refute this, but neither has anyone in the history of mankind been able to. Why don't you just suck up your pride and admit you can't do it?

Quote:
I do not. You have fallaciously linked the contingent belief to belief in God (unless you are speaking of a specific culture in which there is proof positive of it like Tod's Martin Luther King example) so you first have to prove that your generalisation holds where your arguing for it.

You have claimed that it is a fallacious link, and you have not demonstrated the fallacy. My link rests on the following:

1) There is no positive definition for a god that is coherent. (Phrased positively, "All positive definitions of god are incoherent." )

2) There cannot be any evidence for a thing which is incoherently defined. (Necessary, by definition)

3) Therefore, (1,2) there cannot be any evidence for god.

4) Therefore, belief in god is non-contingent. (By definition)

It's there for you, point by point. Demonstrate the fallacy. Better yet, drop this and admit you can't. I'm getting really tired of trying to find ways to explain the same thing to you repeatedly.

Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: magilum

Eloise wrote:
magilum wrote:
shelleymtjoy wrote:
Eloise wrote:

Magilum:

yes I saw that point, I read it that you found his definition reasonable up to the point where he was cornered by Dawkins applied it to himself and came up contradicting. Was I right to think that?

I don't know what you're referring to, actually. You don't mean something in the Hitchens/McGrath video linked to by Shelley, do you? I haven't watched that.

I took his explanation of his faith to Dawkins as this:

1. "Explanatory power" reinforces belief, but isn't primary basis.

2. Primary basis for belief is faith, but faith is based on evidence.

3. Evidence being that biblical author's believed in "explanatory power." 

4. Evidence has limits, so faith takes over.

It sounds like he's positing faith as a hypothesis, yet he's starting with the assumption that it's accurate, which leads me back to the unconditional belief view of faith.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

The point is:

I'm sorry. I can't do this anymore. You're just getting more and more beligerent, and you're not even remotely addressing the issue.

It think it's clear who has spent many posts avoiding (read denying) the issue.

You pointed me to tod's essay to counter my argument which was that the definition of faith you're using is in your OP is an equivocation. I read Tod's argument refuted everything it had to say in relation to my position and awaited your reply. Since that time your replies have been ad hominem, denying the facts, or just plain hollow and extraneous. until now...

Quote:
Quote:
Pathetic, Hamby. I showed his definition to be non-sequitur.

No, you claimed it is a non-sequitur. You don't just get to claim something and then it's real. You must prove it. Claim does not equal proof.

I moment ago you said I wasn't even using his definition. see how you're backpedalling? is this because you were wrong to begin with and the essay doesn't even refute my position ?

as for a demonstration of my claim, you're addressing that below yet still, here, denying it exists.

Quote:
Quote:
there is justification for belief in faith which is "the substance of what is hoped for". Future and potential.

Future and potential are contingent.

Well DUH! The theology quoted refers to contingent faith. That is all the proof necessary for refuting the premise of the claim that theological faith is non-contingent.

Quote:
Quote:
The theology he quoted did not support his definition of non-contingent faith so he just used an ad hoc interpretation and filled in the gaps with Martin Luther rambling.

First, I'm not going here with you because it's unnecessary. I gave you an example of non-contingent faith. I have established its existence and asserted that it applies to God. Now you must prove that God is a contingent belief, or you must abandon your claim.

No, this is just silly and going in circles, I do not have to prove that God exists to argue that contingent faith in God existing is a moderate standpoint.

Quote:

Quote:
you have not demonstrated that contingent and non-contingent is the difference between theological and non-theological faith.

Well, it's really obvious. I didn't think you needed to be spoon fed. (That, too, was patronizing. I want you to be clear on the difference.)

hmmm?

Quote:
Quote:

You made a naked assertion that they exist, but you have yet to provide a positive definition for god with supporting evidence.

spoon fed much?

http://www.masterpath.org/sriGaryOlsen/index.htm

http://www.sahajayoga.org/seekersguide/

http://www.tylwythteg.com/seeker.html

Quote:

This is honestly just getting stupid. This has been done over and over, and you've watched it over and over. I'm sorry it makes you mad that you can't refute this, but neither has anyone in the history of mankind been able to. Why don't you just suck up your pride and admit you can't do it?

I don't have to refute it when my whole argument rests on the fact that christian theology advocates contingent faith (many many times) and tod's argument (yours by-proxy) rests on the fallacy that it does not.

It doesn't make me mad that I haven't refuted your ignostic standpoint, all my exasperation has been directed at your insistence that it is relevant to the original point of debate between us. You haven't established that. Establish that moderates put themselves in this position without equivocating your definition of faith and then I'll take the time to discuss the coherence of god.

Quote:
Quote:
I do not. You have fallaciously linked the contingent belief to belief in God (unless you are speaking of a specific culture in which there is proof positive of it like Tod's Martin Luther King example) so you first have to prove that your generalisation holds where your arguing for it.

You have claimed that it is a fallacious link, and you have not demonstrated the fallacy. My link rests on the following:

1) There is no positive definition for a god that is coherent. (Phrased positively, "All positive definitions of god are incoherent." )

2) There cannot be any evidence for a thing which is incoherently defined. (Necessary, by definition)

3) Therefore, (1,2) there cannot be any evidence for god.

I've been here before in another thread; we have naturalistic proof that a 'thing' can be what it is not, I reject (3).

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Eloise

magilum wrote:
Eloise wrote:
magilum wrote:
shelleymtjoy wrote:
Eloise wrote:

Magilum:

I don't know what you're referring to, actually. You don't mean something in the Hitchens/McGrath video linked to by Shelley, do you? I haven't watched that.

I took his explanation of his faith to Dawkins as this:

1. "Explanatory power" reinforces belief, but isn't primary basis.

2. Primary basis for belief is faith, but faith is based on evidence.

3. Evidence being that biblical author's believed in "explanatory power."

4. Evidence has limits, so faith takes over.

It sounds like he's positing faith as a hypothesis, yet he's starting with the assumption that it's accurate, which leads me back to the unconditional belief view of faith.

yes I realise you meant that. I thought, because you were replying to my specific point, that you saw my argument in the notion of 'explanatory potential'. Since your objection was to his circular reasoning around his own statement "that's not why I believe" I figured that perhaps you are receptive to the idea that explanatory potential is a valid argument for contingent faith.

In other words, If I said my point of difference with McGrath is that potential is a basis upon which I believe and am a theist. What would be your reply?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, Eloise. I'm not going

Ok, Eloise. I'm not going to keep going back and forth about what you think you have or have not done.

This thread isn't about contingent faith vs. non-contingent faith, anyway, so I'm not going to derail it more by addressing each of your links. I'll start another thread soon for that purpose -- not because it's particularly important to this thread, but because I don't feel like having you say I refused to do so.

Just to be clear, the proof that an "All" statement is false is the existence of one contradictory example, so in order to claim that the statement, "All god-belief is non-contingent," you must first provide a coherent definition of god, and then you must provide evidence for it.

I will get on those links in another thread soon. I'm done arguing this with you in this thread. It's been derailed enough, and I think anyone watching has enough information to make their own decisions.

[Edit:  Christ on a fucking pogo stick...  I'm not going to sort through all that drivel to find the definition.  You quote the positive definition for me, or paraphrase it in your own words.  I don't have time to hunt through all that twaddle to find these supposed definitions.  If you know what the definitions are, you tell me.]

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Ok,

Hambydammit wrote:

Ok, Eloise. I'm not going to keep going back and forth about what you think you have or have not done.

This thread isn't about contingent faith vs. non-contingent faith, anyway, so I'm not going to derail it more by addressing each of your links.

This thread is about non-contingent faith as you purport it applies to moderate theism. You brought the definitions in to prove moderates were non contigent in their faith by virtue of being theist and I have over and over adhered to my rejection of that issue. Abandon it if you must.

Quote:

I'll start another thread soon for that purpose -- not because it's particularly important to this thread, but because I don't feel like having you say I refused to do so.

You are refusing to deal with my defense that your definition is equivocal and thus does not support your assertion of moderates in general who believe in both science and theological teachings of god, applying non-contingent faith arbitrarily. This all goes to your original argument and nothing needs be derailed here unless you are unable to challenge my objections directly.

Quote:

Just to be clear, the proof that an "All" statement is false is the existence of one contradictory example, so in order to claim that the statement, "All god-belief is non-contingent," you must first provide a coherent definition of god, and then you must provide evidence for it.

No, I merely need to prove that existence of god is still contigent on evidence and can be trusted, which I did in the last post.

Quote:

[Edit: Christ on a fucking pogo stick... I'm not going to sort through all that drivel to find the definition. You quote the positive definition for me, or paraphrase it in your own words. I don't have time to hunt through all that twaddle to find these supposed definitions. If you know what the definitions are, you tell me.]

Those links were in support of the claim that there are contingent god-believers. You said it was a naked assertion, I clothed it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok. I'm so aggravated at

Ok. I'm so aggravated at being sent to this link that I'm going to debunk it, if for no other reason, it will work off some frustration for me to do so. Anyway, without further ado, I give you the debunking of some retard or other who Eloise thinks is awesome.

From http://www.masterpath.org/sriGaryOlsen/index.htm

Quote:
You cannot become a seeker of God without having previously developed this spiritual desire through the evolution of your own inner consciousness.

Unsupported statement. Presupposition of the existence of God. God is not defined. Presupposition of spirit. Presupposition of spiritual desire. Presupposition of inner consciousness. No definition of "inner consciousness." Presupposition of evolution of inner consciousness.

Wow. What a great thinker. That's seven fallacies in the first sentence.

Quote:
Not everyone desires to know God and Its infallible truth, nor does the realization of the true self have much universal draw in our highly technological world.

God is not defined. Presupposition of Infallible truth. Undefined term: true self. Presupposition of existence of god invalidates the assertion of the desire to know god.

Quote:
The subject matter of this article will therefore not appeal to everyone, for only those who have searched the globe high and low, desperately seeking the spiritual Teaching that thoroughly answers all questions of the divine mystery, will resonate with this in-depth explanation. It is my sincere desire that true seekers around the world will benefit in some way by perusing these pages, possibly discovering a new direction to pursue, or achieving a deeper insight into their unique situation in their lonely search for truth and God.

Long winded way of saying, "If you believe god exists, or want to believe, you'll be interested in knowing how to believe god exists." Brilliant. Also circular.

Quote:
Honest spiritual seekers are searching for a Path that transcends all personal ills, that will carry them past the stultifying conditions of institutionalized religion and the conventional and traditional ideals of modern society.

No true Scotsman -- Honest spiritual seekers. Undefined term: Path. Sweeping Generalization: All personal ills. Presupposition: institutionalized religion and traditional ideals of modern society are flawed. Sweeping Generalization: How are they flawed? With regard to what?

Quote:
True seekers are wary of preachers in their ivory towers declaring their outrage at those who do not believe as they do. They are exasperated over the plethora of cultish leaders and pseudo gurus springing up all over the globe. The seekers of the world have grown exhausted with guru bashing, dissenting opinions of others, and the negative stereotype placed on anything separate from conventional spirituality. The seekers of truth have become all too familiar with the emptiness of ritualistic and ceremonial worship, scriptures that are out of date, and past Masters who have come and gone. They are dismayed with how spirituality has been commercialized and how seekers are being exploited for money. And the truth seekers have grown tired of performing vows and disciplines that bring no appreciable gain to their own evolving spirituality. The plight of the modern-day seekers has them wondering if a true Path even exists, if anyone really knows or can guide them aright to Spirit's door. Spirituality has been so ravaged and overworked that hardly anyone knows with certainty what even comprises a true spiritual Path.

One long "No True Scotsman." Ad hoc explanation for why spiritualism/mysticism/religion has failed in the past.

Quote:
No wonder the seekers of truth are disillusioned and disenchanted with the current state of all spiritual endeavors as presented by our culture and world. Many seekers have simply abandoned their search, while others feel it is hopeless to continue searching; some are so discouraged and dismayed that they wonder if truth even exists, and if it does, they remain disheartened by the near impossibility of ever finding it. Is there an adequate explanation for these spiritual maladies? Is there a rhyme or reason for this spiritual crisis? Yes, there is, but we must continue our investigation into the plight of all modern-day seekers, for at the heart of this dilemma lie the answers to the seekers' redemption and liberation.

No information. Rhetorical nonsense.

Quote:
All spiritual doctrines, including religions, philosophies, psychic sciences, and metaphysical pursuits, have been created and founded by humans.

The first piece of information in the entire thing. Nevertheless, it presupposes the existence of "psychic science," which, as James Randi and others will attest, has never been verified. It is, however, true, that each of these things was created by humans.

Quote:
Furthermore, all interpretations of spirituality and the way to liberation and salvation have only come from humans as well. All enmity and discord amidst religious circles, coupled with abundant argumentation and bigotry, have issued forth and are a byproduct of human beings walking this planet, whether in the misty past or in present times. These last points should be considered very carefully and calmly, for they fully answer the human and institutional dilemma facing all spiritual seekers today. All things are in such disarray that only human beings could be responsible for such folly and rivalry.

Establishes a false dichotomy: Either Humans/imperfect or God/perfect. Notice the subtle inculcation of an unstated premise: spirituality has failed because of human imperfection, not because of the nonexistence of the spirit!

Quote:
To imagine for an instant that these diluted forms of spirituality actually reflect and portray our Divine Creator, a Being perfectly pure in every regard, adds nothing but more confusion and perplexity to the discovery and attainment of the spiritual truth. This simply is not in accordance with God's divine will. Are we to just shake our heads or lie down in defeat, or do we rebel, languish, or silently weep in despair?

Presupposition: Existence of Divine Creator. Undefined term: Perfectly pure. Logical impossibility: perfect in every regard. Unsupported assertion: God has a divine will. Presupposes intelligence.

Quote:
Naturally, unenlightened human beings are not concerned with this spiritual nemesis, but those keenly yearning for a higher and more fulfilling truth are bewildered by and ashamed of such degrading misrepresentation, undeniably knowing that this could not in any way properly reflect the majesty and profundity of the Supreme Creator. Be not deceived; God is not mocked. Be not dismayed as well, for the truth does exist. There is a solution to this divine mystery and many have found it, but it lies in the opposite direction of humankind's search for God.

Unsupported Premise: Enlightenment. Unsupported premise: existence of spiritual nemesis. No True Scotsman: "Keenly yearning, etc..." Unsupported premise: All are ashamed. Unsupported premise: misrepresentation. Unsupported premise: Undeniable knowledge of god's properties. Unsupported premise: many have found it.

Quote:
Rudderless and without a compass does the individual attempt to cross the ocean of empirical existence. Blown about by chance winds and detoured by inclement weather does the soul strive to secure its spiritual moorings. Without the Master at the helm, without precise directions over stormy seas, it becomes impossible to arrive at the other shore.

Unsupported premise: Divine purpose (implied by the term, rudderless, in reference to empirical existence). Unsupported Premise: only with the unsupported, unproven, undefined god can we achieve the unproven, unsupported, undefined enlightenment.

Quote:
There is a true Path, but you must give up your external search to find it. There is a true Doctrine, but you must close the outer books of scripture to read it. There truly is a transcendental Guide, but you must forfeit your own mental counsel to find Him. And there is a true self deep within your beingness, but the bigger small self must make way for the smaller big self within you. There is a secret Path leading to His door, and although it is enshrouded in mystery, it opens to the truly sincere lovers of truth and God. All Saints in the past, present, and future know of this secret passageway, this El Camino Real, that indelibly connects the soul to its Creator.

Encouraged to abandon reason. No supported explanation given as to why.

Quote:
The means of escape and delivery, the direction one is to discover and then pursue, lies between the two eyes of every sentient being and is called the third eye or the tisra til. All external realities below this aperture are filled with illusion, maya, and vacuous emptiness. All things at or above this spiritual juncture are iridescently pure, unparalleled, and luminous. If you could find a Master, a Saint, He could easily open your secret door, and all spiritual complexities and mysteries would vanish into nothingness. This is not my promise, but the Creator's promise.

Unsupported premise: existence of the third eye. Unsupported qualities of this unsupported assertion are asserted.

Quote:
The human is a composite being consisting of numerous realms and dimensions unknown to one's conscious mind at this time. The individual is a microcosm of the macrocosm, an exact replica of the outlying universe. The soul of the disciple can at any time, under precise guidance and counsel, enter and explore the inner cosmic worlds of its own being. There one can experiment in one's own divine laboratory, verifying all of these truths through one's own personal experience. The Light and Sound Teachings are the most efficacious means of removing the veils that serve as barriers to opening this secret door to complete liberation and salvation.

Blatant contradiction. If the dimensions are unknown to the conscious mind at this time, it is impossible to speak of them.

Undefined terms: microcosm, macrocosm, outlying universe.

Undefined term: inner cosmic worlds.

Undefined term: Light and Sound Teachings

Undefined terms: veils that serve as barriers, secret door.

Undefined terms: Liberation from what? Salvation from what?

Quote:
The consummation of the spiritual journey transpires only upon the attainment of Self and God Realization. Though promised by the theologians and psychic gurus, enlightenment, cosmic consciousness, and the religious experience of redemption will not suffice to re-enter the Kingdom of Heaven, for only Self and God Realization can accomplish this august achievement.

Undefined terms: Self and God Realization, cosmic consciousness, redemption from what?, Kingdom of Heaven.

Quote:
This sacred journey through your own divine cosmology is meant to evolve your own consciousness to unlimited heights. This means of delivery and the Doctrine that reveals it are not created by any human, but are God's divine plan. This Teaching, this modus operandi, was instilled in the heart of soul long before humankind's advent and incarnation into this physical world. The Lord created all things, and It created this divine Path before religions even existed. Every religion and sacred path has had a beginning within our world, and each must also have an ending. But the Light and Sound Teachings are not a byproduct of humankind, nor of this world of time and space. These divine Teachings were instilled within the soul to allow God to commune with the soul, and to allow the soul to commune with God. The Light and Sound Teachings thus existed before the dawn of time, before the creation of human beings, and before the formulation of any exterior mode of worship.

~sigh~

Naked assertions, all.

Quote:
The current dilemma facing the seekers of the globe is simply the effect of those spiritual doctrines that were created by humans, and the remedy is to associate and devote yourself, in the strictest sense, to a Doctrine that is created by the Divine. This divine Path resides in the heart of every sentient being and has been there since before the dawn of time and the evolution of humankind. Every Saint who has visited this globe through the ages has espoused and revealed this Doctrine during their respective sojourn, but few individuals have cared to listen, and fewer yet have gained entry into its mysteries.

No justification for any of this. Simply naked assertions.

Quote:
The contemporary idea of instant salvation through the doctrine of the church or immediate enlightenment through cultish leaders and pseudo gurus is no longer in vogue to the sincere spiritual seeker. True spirituality will not prostrate itself to the whimsical nature of our mental senses, and thus it is far easier to tell you what truth is not. The transcendent truths are too subtle, and our mind too gross, to divinely interpret the truths hidden within our spiritual nature. Sincere devotion and a flair for the supernatural, coupled with a longing and a growing distaste for the mundane world, are needed to penetrate the doorway leading to life everlasting. Suffice it to say, those honest seekers who are desperate in their search for truth and God only need to investigate the tenets of Light and Sound now being given to the pilgrim of truth through the Teachings of MasterPath.

No True Scotsman again. Assertion that knowledge of the spirit is beyond comprehension. Another blatant contradiction.

Quote:

QUALIFICATIONS OF THE SEEKER:

Certain qualifications are absolutely necessary and essential in gaining entry into this divine Teaching:

1. An honest desire for Spirit and God in your present life.
  2. A sincere longing and poignant yearning for God's truth.
  3. Frustration with the lack of truth within our world.
  4. A willingness to discover and then pursue the truth of spiritualizing your very own self.
  5. Exhaustion of one's karmas and a prevailing emptiness.
  6. Disillusionment with other spiritual endeavors.
  7. Exasperation with the dualistic construct governing all life.
  8. A sense of futility in controlling desire's madness and power.
  9. A sense of frustrated immobilization due to the antics of one's emotional and mental natures.

In other words, you have to want to believe before you can believe. Duh. It's honestly getting really difficult for me to continue this. My brain is melting, and I'm starting to lose vocabulary. I can feel the sucking of my intellect out through my nose.

Quote:
These qualifications have not manifested in the seeker free of charge, for life's experiences are sometimes very difficult. Many lifetimes are needed to gain the necessary purification in moral and ethical conduct, and numerous byways must be traveled before a human being even desires the truth that will set one free. The seeker after truth and God must also negotiate the problems in life that all of us encounter and which are inescapable even by the best of us: problems of despair and uselessness; the feeling of inadequacy; a sense of inner guilt and shame; unrelenting strife and tension; overwhelming loneliness; the inescapable date with death; a gnawing doubt and growing skepticism with external authority; an inexplicable loss of our spiritual bearings; constant assaults of anger, greed, lust, vanity, and attachment; not to mention debt, problematic children, unruly mates, and the loss of our own personal tranquility. Heap onto this our growing dissatisfaction with the priestcraft and clergy, social and political reformers, therapists of every kind, and the alarming deception in advertising by pharmaceutical companies, promising through subliminal projection that one can have it all by just taking a pill.

Preach on, brother!

Quote:
When your external search has ended, when all the byways and detours have been explored, when your heart is flayed and truth is nowhere to be found, simply set your sights on the MasterPath, and all conflicts will miraculously end.

(cough, cough, cough... um... all together, class... PRESUPPOSITION! )

If you've made it this far, hang with me, ok? Eloise assures me there's a coherent, positive definition of god in this tripe. I'm bound and determined to find it, because dag-nab-it, Eloise asserts it, therefore it must be true.

Quote:

All paths are meant for spiritual advancement and should be respected for this reason.

No wonder Eloise is mad at me that I don't respect moderates. Here's where we see the very message I've been warning against being preached.

Quote:
The masses have enlisted the help and guidance of these external approaches to assist them in the gradual evolvement of their own consciousness. Please understand that no disrespect is intended in discussing the predominant institutions of the world, for all paths have value, regardless of their degree of ultimate truth. (emphasis mine. HD.) Also please remember that this discussion is in relation to the honest seeker who has explored the tenets and rudiments of most institutionalized doctrines, is searching for that higher teaching that transcends them all, and thus is in pursuit of the purer and higher approach back to Self and God Realization.

Naturally, the honest seeker who squarely faces his or her own human dilemma desires to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. Many byways are adopted with the hope that the gnawing pains of separation and isolation will subside, but they find that hardly anything works anymore. Those who experiment with drink or drugs with a dim and fading hope of forgetting or suppressing their personal dilemma only make it worse, although sometimes this experience is needed in the overall unfoldment of the consciousness. Some individuals abandon themselves to the pleasure principle, avoiding pain and heartache as much as possible. This also boomerangs upon the seeker, for one's reliance and refuge is still being placed in the external world, and pain follows pleasure like the darkness follows light. The majority of individuals enlist the help of major institutions such as religion, philosophy, yoga, or metaphysics, with the expressed desire of alleviating the metaphysical problems that have become palpable and acutely present.

So, all we've done in these two paragraphs is insert the unsupported premises that 1) All faith should be respected, and 2) Faith has value regardless of its objective truth. Notice that this is simply asserted. There's no rationale given. There's no discussion on the reason that non-truth is valuable, or explanation of what the value is in relation to. It's rubbish. Pure garbage.

Quote:
The seeker enlists the help of external institutions in one's desire to find reconciliation and resolution of life's difficulties. And yet the plight of spiritual institutions is often more restricted and limited than the circumstances the individual finds and perceives within oneself. The institutions of the world are pointedly more concerned with their own collective survival than they are with emancipating the individual soul and relieving it of its unsettling conditions.

Sometimes life sucks, and people wish it didn't. Wow. Deep stuff. Religion seeks to propogate itself... Wow.... My brain is like... you know... turning over in my cranium.

Quote:

There is no dishonor in belonging to a spiritual institution if the expressed purpose and objective is to enliven and expand one's sense of spirituality. However, it should be noted that each institution reflects only a small part of the individual's overall beingness, and thus can only address a small aspect of the human dilemma. Religion specifically addresses the emotional aspect of the human, with emphasis on one's devotional nature, while philosophy centers upon the mind and intellect, with deliberate accent on reason and logic. Yoga, based more in the Eastern tradition, has been sadly over-commercialized and reduced to the practice of bodily postures. Yoga in its higher nature has seen Patanjali's original system reduced to jnana yoga, bhakti yoga, and karma yoga, meaning head, heart, and hand. The three yogic systems, transcendental as they are, cannot bring the soul to its own God Realization.

On the other hand, psychic practice and metaphysics have only touched the subconscious and unconscious minds of the practitioner, which are part of the human's overall psychic nature. All forms of mental divination, all forms of psychic practice, such as past life regression, healing, trance channeling, Reiki, astrology, and tarot, as well as all mantic sciences, whether physical, astral, or mental, fall into the category of metaphysics and psychic practice.

These four major institutions - religion, philosophy, yoga, and metaphysics - have become antiquated and fossilized through the course of time, thus being reclassified into dead mystic schools. At one time these doctrines thrived on the dynamic living impulse of their holy founders, but once they departed, their divine works were subjected to overly zealous disciples who all too often edited with a free hand. Power plays within the social and political structures have brought ruin to the translucence of the original teachings expounded by the founder. Regal temples and churches were erected, majestic ashrams and synagogues were built, scriptures and holy books sprang into existence, and ironically none of the founding Saints ever intended for this to happen.

Not a bit of supporting evidence for any of this! Not one iota.

Quote:

The retrogressive aspect of all institutions is that they wish to monopolize and mummify the truth. The general message is that if this particular doctrine is not wholly embraced, one will not be redeemed. In truth, all four of these major institutions deny the existence of the soul and center their efforts on one of its many coverings, or sheaths, thus devoting themselves to the part instead of the whole. All four groups remain in the web of karmic action, and in spite of their good intentions, not one of these four systems is able to deliver the soul from its bondage. All four classified groups are without a living Master at the helm, and thus only the shell of spirituality can be represented, losing the kernel altogether. And lastly, all four institutions were originally created and continually reformulated by humans and not the original founder. For example, Jesus did not create the church, but His disciples and the political statesmen of that time certainly did. The illusion, therefore, is that these four main institutions surreptitiously imply that the truth that humankind seeks can only be discovered and realized in the confines of their respective organization, and all Masters and Saints, past and present, consistently disagree with this dogmatic claim. Truth is indelibly etched within the heart of every living being, and only needs our inner retirement to discover its source.

All four of these major approaches back to the Godhead are rife with illusion, and turn out to be merely transparent defense mechanisms employed by the ego to deny the spiritual life. It is true that in the overall march back to God all paths have value and relative benefit to the evolving consciousness of the soul, but to imply that one's own spirituality can only be achieved through sole allegiance to any one of these institutions, rather than the inner temple within the heart of every living being, becomes the "spiritual lie" of the ages. Every true seeker of God must be aware of these limitations, or one risks being spiritually suffocated with considerations that are not wholly in one's individual interest.

The current dilemma that each honest seeker faces is only the byproduct of these sterilized approaches. Religion and philosophy were initially meant to redeem and liberate the soul of the seeker, but by following these doctrines centuries later, after they have been ravaged and overly editorialized to the point that their original purity is unrecognizable, one only sinks deeper into the morass of externalized opinion coming from those supposedly in the know. It appears that our own priestcraft and spiritual leaders of today are as ignorant of the truth as are their followers, and as a result they both fall into the ditch.

Who can we turn to in such a plight? Who can we trust, and who can explain, from truth's highest pinnacle, the proper and precise method of attaining our spiritual aspirations and enlightenment? This becomes the seekers' greatest dilemma, for in their humble desire to obtain and achieve the spiritual life, they have found no one with the answers for their spiritual plight. True spirituality therefore remains a seemingly unresolvable mystery, especially for the institutions of the world that are simply unable to resurrect true spirituality and make it a living reality to the honest seeker.

~sigh~ My eyes are glazing over. Where's my definition of God, Eloise??

Quote:

To a living Saint the spiritual life is no mystery, for the principles of true spirituality are self-evident and easily verifiable. Solving the divine mystery only requires that the search be in the right place. You cannot find the truth if you continue to search for it in the wrong places. This is why the truth of truths cannot be found in the outside temples or churches, in outside creeds and doctrines, or anywhere else that remains external to you. It cannot be questioned that the highest teaching for you is the one to which you are irresistibly drawn, but higher still is the teaching reposed inside your own sacred body. Every Saint of the past and present has unequivocally proclaimed, as will those of the future, that the Kingdom of Heaven is within, and so too are the keys that will unfasten the lock.

The MasterPath has become well known and exceedingly successful within our present culture simply because it restores the individual as the divine source of one's own innate spirituality. The collective approach, though valuable to the teeming masses, has no direct appeal to the individual. In the past the four major external approaches back to God succeeded in convincing the individual that nothing spiritual existed within one, but as time has marched forward this illusory consideration has given way to the greater truth that true spirituality can only be found within the recesses of one's own heart. Thus, the truth that we seek can never be fully found within the external codes of conduct, within the hallowed creeds of religion, nor in the external doctrines, rituals, and ceremonies dotting the globe today. In order to fully discover the truth of all truths, the truth that will set you free, you must under all circumstances retrace your steps back to the third eye, and there rend the veil that separates the apparent from the real, the false from the true, and the finite from the infinite.

The honest seekers of today are simply searching for a path that transcends the boundaries of traditional and conventional approaches to spiritual attainment. The seekers have traversed the globe in hopes of finding their truest self, but it has been projected into other people and onto external, outer doctrines rather than ultimately realizing that it is reposed within oneself. I ask you to lovingly reconsider the direction of your pursuit, for the purest of truths and the highest known Path are not far away. You are the Master and you are the Path, and thus does the Teaching of MasterPath derive its name.

Seriously. Where's my definition?

Quote:

A HIGHER LIFE AWAITS YOU

The MasterPath is not an organization or a collective institution more concerned with bolstering its own claims over those of the seeker. The MasterPath is not the major player in the ascent back to God, but the sacred inner journey of the aspirant most certainly is. The MasterPath is not attempting to make a sales pitch for itself, for it addresses your own inner divine nature, situated within you. Any path that holds itself higher than the inner sanctity of the individual is, in truth, no spiritual path at all.

The rapidly expanding consciousness within the seeker creates the superior journey, and all seekers within Light and Sound experience this pronounced ascension. The explicit reason for this incomparable uplift is that the soul within the seeker is being addressed. The soul is created in God's image, and is comprised of the same essence as God. Within the soul lie countless worlds and dimensions of consciousness as yet unexplored, and within your own body do your own soul, your own Spirit, and your own God reside. The discovery and realization of these three divine powers, now hidden within you, constitute the sacred inner journey to Self and God Realization. As a result, the remedy to the human and institutional dilemma is the reawakening of your own divine potential now existing in latent form within you. So vast and majestic is our own spirituality that if you were to objectively witness your own divine cosmology at this time, it would be similar to the stream attempting to contain the ocean. Every soul has been dyed in the color of the Lord's hue, and interestingly enough this includes your own. Seldom has any seeker fully realized that the object of one's lifelong search has only been one's self.

Seriously... Really. Where is my definition?

Quote:

The MasterPath Teachings revolve around specific spiritual principles that lie at the foundation for the evolving consciousness as it makes its way back to the Godhead:

1. Soul is the central reality of the individual, created by God Itself and identical to God's Image.
  2. The Fatherhood of God; all things begin and end in God.
  3. The Brotherhood of Humanity; all beings are the sons and daughters of God.
  4. Loving Its Creation; everything that exists is an expression and manifestation of God's divine power.
  5. The desire to follow God's divine will for you.

1. unsupported premise.

2. Unsupported premise.

3. Unsupported premise.

4. Unsupported premise.

5. Unsupported premise.

Quote:

The Spiritual Objectives of MasterPath:

1. Disentanglement from all karmic bondage.
  2. The ultimate emancipation and liberation of the soul.
  3. Self and God Realization within this lifetime.

Great. Wonderful goals. All based on completely unsupported assertions.

Quote:

The Means of Delivery:

1. Acceptance of the Master as one's guide and mentor.
  2. Receiving His initiation.
  3. The performance of the spiritual exercises, which center around contemplation rather than meditation.
  4. Self-participation in transitioning oneself from the lower consciousness to the higher consciousness.

WHERE'S MY DEFINITION OF GOD????

Quote:

A BIRD'S EYE VIEW OF SOUL'S INNER ASCENSION

The soul of the seeker is initially drawn to the MasterPath through an undeniable magnetism manifesting within the seeker's consciousness. The Power that has divinely commissioned the living Master in His earthly mission is the same divine Power that draws and calls the weary seeker once again. Without this inner spiritual draw and divine magnetism deep within the heart of the soul, little can be done in the way of spiritual advancement. When the call is heard, it should be followed, and no one, not even one's own mind, has the right to stand in the way of soul's ascension back into the Kingdom of Heaven. Upon embracing and enlisting the help of MasterPath, the seeker begins introducing oneself to the divine science of the Light and Sound Teachings, striving to fully understand their divine import. Simultaneously the seeker begins the spiritual practice of contemplation, with the expressed objective of recentering and reconsolidating the spiritual energy within the body back to the third eye plexus.

There are two predominate energies within the human being: the motor currents and the sensory currents. MasterPath singles out the sensory currents and leaves the motor currents untouched. The motor currents can be represented as the kundalini energy, which lies coiled in three and one-half curves at the base of the spine and is commonly referred to as the serpent power. This power is indiscriminately aroused by psychic practitioners and is not part of the MasterPath procedure. The Light and Sound Teachings deal exclusively with the sensory currents, which can be described as the reflection of soul's attentive and attitudinal qualities within the human consciousness.

The centering process is always carried on at the third eye juncture, midway between the two eyes and slightly behind them. As our concentration at this plexus increases, the scattered sensory currents within the body are drawn upward toward this third eye center. Each chakra running alongside the spine is systematically entered, purified, and dominated as this sensory current moves ever upward. To center upon any lower chakra, as many psychic paths direct, means an unnecessary delay in the advancement of the seeker. Many yogic practices of the East insist on beginning the journey at lower centers, such as the rectum or reproductive chakras, which only arouses the motor currents and surreptitiously leads the seeker away from pure spirituality. As the energies ascend through the spinal chakras, levels of experience simultaneously occur that are indigenous to that chakra's level of energy and expression. In the reproductive chakra, family and procreation predominate; within the navel plexus, objective and subjective nourishment flourish; within the heart chakra, emotional development and social integration take precedence and newly developed beliefs and religious ideals are experienced; and within the throat chakra, philosophical considerations of reason and logic within the developing intelligence become keenly pronounced.

As the energies ascend even further upward, into the plexus where the soul and mind are knotted together, personal will is introduced and subjected to the divine power within one, and one's understanding is transcendentally lofted beyond mind's comprehension, defying reason at every turn. Upon entering the throat chakra, reason was the guide, but now it becomes the bar. As the energies collect and springboard themselves even higher, the four divisions of the mind are encountered and systematically controlled, and the lower conscious and subconscious minds are brought into harmony with the indwelling soul. With this marriage, the head and heart, or the conscious and subconscious minds, find harmony with one another and they cease being at loggerheads with each other. The masculine and feminine energies within the seeker can now come together and find expression in a higher and more sublime reality. When this has transpired, the straight and narrow road to which Jesus referred is happily entered, and the eye of the needle is finally penetrated.

The course of one's spiritual life is completely altered and entrance is now made into the third eye, the first incandescent level of heaven, which is literally situated in the astral plane just above this physical universe. "When thy eye is single, thy whole body shall be full of light," stated the venerable Christ of old. The wonderstruck seeker now finds himself or herself in an entirely new world of blinding lights and beautiful orchestral sounds, which one has never heard of or ever imagined. Gonging bells, conch shells, and the sound of flute and harp can all be heard by the traveling soul. Enlightenment and illumination occur at this spiritual juncture, for when the mind first perceives the soul in all its splendor, it instantly becomes illuminated. It is here in the luminosity of the third eye that the soul of the aspirant will lovingly rendezvous with the indwelling Radiant Form of the Master, and the soul of the disciple and the resplendent Inner Master will never be separate again, not even when death overtakes one, as soul progresses toward attaining the goal of God Realization.

From the third eye plexus the newly freed soul, with the company of the Inner Master, continues steadily upward into the reddened misty atmosphere of the causal plane, which is called the second level of heaven in the terminology of the Saints. Here the soul liquidates the remaining seed karmas that have held it in compromising conditions for eons, and here cosmic consciousness is attained. A complete record of all of one's lifetimes, with every minute detail of thought and action, is recorded and stored in this unfathomable realm. With the removal of karmic bondage, the naked soul is able to fly higher, beyond the conscious, subconscious, and unconscious minds into more rarified realms of truth and beauty, and it is anxious to do so. Nothing can hold the soul back ever again, and it catapults itself forward with inexpressible glee.

From this endless realm of the causal plane, the purified soul moves ever inward and upward to the moonlit realm of the soul plane called Daswan Dwar, the third level of heaven to the mystics of Light and Sound. Here the blissful soul now realizes itself with itself and is forever changed in consciousness. It is here that the true self shines forth in regal splendor, and the bliss-ridden soul moves rapidly upward into the fourth level of heaven termed Bhanwar Gupha by the Saints. The soul encounters and realizes its own spiritual essence, sublime and unapproachable as it is, and there quaffs the divine elixir coming from the lords of this region. Soon the Spiritually Realized soul moves even higher into the true Lord's mansion in the fifth level of heaven, appropriately named the Realm of Truth or Sat Lok, and ultimately experiences God Realization in all its ineffable glory. The beatitude and grace of this wonder-filled region, no words can possibly convey. The awestruck soul has finally attained its long sought salvation, and simultaneously entered the Kingdom of Heaven, which is consciously experienced by the indwelling soul during the course of the present life. Further and higher regions there are, eight levels of heaven in all.

Although the Master has encapsulated this journey into several paragraphs, the actual experience takes a number of years, but is easily finished in the course of one lifetime or sometimes two.

Oh, my fucking lord jesus christ on a fucking pogo stick. Seriously, Eloise, I'm not trying to be mean. I really thought you were smarter than this. Do you really buy this drivel?

Quote:

FURTHER COMMENTARY

The religions and philosophies of the past are dead and inert, but it takes a brave and courageous soul to admit it. Brave and courageous because with this unsettling insight the seeker must release the traditional and conventional moorings that held intact one's previous faith and belief. With the departure of Lord Buddha, Lord Krishna, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and with no successor to take their place and to carry on the mantle, the divine teachings of these illustrious souls fell into disrepute, and only a small fraction of their original luster and divine intensity remains. The seekers of the world are starving, and the answer to their personal dilemma is to unwaveringly take up the search once again, for the truth is here, and the means to its door is closer than your heartbeat.

Not only is the true Path indelibly stamped in the heart of each soul, but the means of attaining your Mastery, and the necessary guidance in arriving at these exalted attainments, are part and parcel of the Divine Teachings of Light and Sound. The student must have an accurate and reliable roadmap, and this the MasterPath Doctrine provides; but more important yet is the spiritual Guide who has traveled the journey many times. The Master is indispensable and an absolute necessity, for the seeker needs instruction in both the objective life and the subjective life, and the Two Faces of the Master address with par excellence this spiritual requirement. Not only does this divine Power guide soul through the psychic labyrinth and unknown frontiers of one's subjective worlds, but the Master also initiates the soul into the melodious Sound Current. So prestigious is this event that the soul has been pining for and seeking this divine connection for ages upon ages, even though it is beyond the ken of the intellect at this time. When the Master initiates the soul into the celestial Sound Current, the latent energy of soul is miraculously reactivated and brought distinctly to the ascendant. Sound is the soul's innate divine energy, while the light sustains only the mind. The Sound Current is the purest form of the Holy Spirit, or Unspoken Word, and is the Essence of all Essences, the supreme creative Current emanating from the Absolute.

Every sincere seeker wants to know if their present life can be better. The truth does exist for the weary and hungry and only awaits your recognition, and in this does the higher life await you. There is a dynamic spiritual force anxiously awaiting to assist you. One's own insurmountable problems can be finally resolved and permanently controlled far more easily than one has previously surmised, and living one's life can be exciting and enjoyable, full of wondrous surprises. But it takes one with the eyes to see and the ears to hear, who humbly and unrelentingly follows the spiritual call coming from within. The divine secret to perennial happiness and spiritual fulfillment can only be fully experienced by taking as your eternal companion the divine nature of your own soul and the divine assistance offered you by God, manifest in the celestial Sound Current and the Two Faces of the Master. These three...the soul, the Master, and the Sound Current, all reside within you and are your passports to the promised Land of Immortality.

Not a single, coherent definition to be found. Just unsupported premises and presupposition. I wasted over an hour of my one and only life reading this because I respected you enough to give you the benefit of the doubt. This is some of the most insipid, banal, cliche, platitudinous nonsense I've ever read, and I've read more than my fair share.

I feel extremely comfortable ignoring your arguments from this point on. You clearly don't have a clue how to separate faith from reason.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Whether it is
Are You A Seeker Of Truth
  SeekingWhether it is through politics, therapy or religion, there are those people who are looking for a greater meaning to their lives. For these people, the life of material pleasures is not enough.

If you, too, are looking for the absolute Truth, you are a seeker. Within all seekers there is a drive that keeps them looking, that keeps them questing. Their Spirit thirsts for a union with its Greater Self. From communism to transcendentalism, from drugs to psychic phenomena, a seeker's journey can be a long one.

Only the Mother can make the Child a Master, and only the Motherhood in any guru can make the disciple a guru.

NOT EVERYTHING THAT IS BEYOND IS DIVINE.

That same journey can also be dangerous. We have all heard of the damaging effects wrought by drugs. Many psychic, spiritual, New Age and superconscious groups are like drugs. They entice and entrap the seekers. They are insidious - their dangers are not apparent until it is too late.

"At the very outset we have to understand that we cannot create truth, we cannot organize truth. Truth is, was and will be.

We cannot cheat truth. We have to reach that point to receive it. It is not a mental achievement. It is not a concept, we cannot change it.

Sahaja Yoga establishes the proof of truth and enables you to experience it. Where the seekers of truth are misled, the results have been disastrous."

Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi

A Seeker's Guide

Everything that is transient is not necessarily Divine. Not all powers contribute to a righteous path. Visions, voices, astral projections, auras, levitation, predictions, communications with the dead and other similar feats are dangerous. They are all possible, but they do not lead to God. They empower us temporarily. They make our ego believe that we are special. But all these powers soon sour, cause illness, distress and depression. They are clear invitations for spirit possession. They are detours that confuse, if not destroy our true seeking.

When choosing a guru or seeking groups, ask the following questions:

1. Is money taken at any time? (the truth cannot be owned, nor can it be bought or sold).

2. Do your teachers pressure you like salesmen? (you should know the value of their path by your own conviction, not by the number of books you read, classes you attend, or pledges you make. Truth is not dependent upon salesmenship).

3. Can you, yourself, feel the effect of the technique? (do not be satisfied that you will be in an "inner circle" at some time in the distant future).

4. Do they clothe you in unusual dress, seat you in strange postures or submit you to wild chanting ? (the truth is not something that has to be attained through strenuous efforts. It is the strength of your desire that counts, not the harshness of their tests).

5. Is the new path you've chosen dharmic ? (that is, is this a the path of the center, similar to that followed by the sages, yogis, and great men and women of the past, or will it lead to frightening experiences of a subconscious or super-conscious nature ?)

6. Are the members of the organization, especially the leader, founder, or guru, people you can trust? (are you comfortable with them? Do they display love and joy? Is their warmth genuine? Is the value of what they are teaching evident in their eyes ?)

7. Do you have the freedom of choice to leave or continue? (follow your heart, not your ego. If you have fears or misgivings, give them heed. If you are in doubt or under duress, leave. Do not be bullied.)

YOU CAN BE YOUR OWN GURU.

Any worthwhile view of the Divine realizes that God resides within each of us. He is there to be awakened as we become a part of the Greater Self.

WHERE'S MY DEFINITION OF GOD? Nothing coherent in here. All naked assertions with no logical explanation whatsoever

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not going to post your

I'm not going to post your last link. It's just the same nonsense.

Now that I know what you believe, I can understand why you can't grasp my argument. I'm a lot less aggravated now because I realize the depth of your delusion. I actually thought for a while that you might be on the edge of reason, but I can see that you're much farther gone than that.

Thanks for your debate, but I simply refuse to debate you anymore. You're going to have to display an understanding of some basic metaphysics before I'll believe you're capable of grasping my argument. Until then, I'm convinced it's a waste of time.

Books about atheism