The debate on Islamophobia

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The debate on Islamophobia

I got out of class this morning and picked up my student news paper. In it was this article which started my morning off right, by properly pissing me off.

I can't find the article online, it was about The Khalil Gibran International Academy

I couldn't find the article in my school paper, but I found one one CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/04/arabic.school/

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A public school in New York that will teach Arabic language and culture opened Tuesday amid accusations that it will impose a radical Islamist agenda in its classrooms.

art.school.arabic.cnn.jpg

Carmen Colon enrolled her son in Khalil Gibran Academy, but pulled him out because of the controversy.

About a dozen security guards and police officers were on patrol Tuesday when the Brooklyn school opened, mainly to shepherd the throngs of reporters covering the event.

Carmen Colon was thrilled at the prospect of sending her 11-year-old son to the school.

"I know for a fact that any American who learns Arabic will make tons of money whether it's translation, whether it's in the customer service area," she said. "I thought it was the best advantage I could give my son."

According to its Web site, Khalil Gibran International Academy's goal is "to prepare students for college and successful careers and to foster an understanding of different cultures, a love of learning, and desire for excellence in all of its students."

But a group called "Stop the Madrassa" insists there's a more sinister agenda and is demanding the academy be closed. Video Watch why one student withdrew from the school »

"We are paying with our public dollar for a religious school, a madrassa," said Pamela Hall, a member of the group.

"The Arabic immigrant students will be isolated," Hall said. "Whether that materializes instantly into terrorists, that's a huge statement to make. But are these students not assimilating and becoming part of the American fabric? And is that potentially a problem? We think so, yes."

Two parents who were on the design team for the school said it's not a religious school.

"In terms of the curriculum, if it's a New York City public school, it has to go by New York City standards," said Deborah Howard. "I'm Jewish. I would never be a part of a school that would in any way be involved with Islamic fundamentalists."

"To be attacked so viciously has been unbelievably unfair and quite sad," said Reyad Farraj, another parent on the design team.

Much of the criticism was directed at the school's Arab-American founding principal, Debbie Almontaser. Two local tabloids reported claims she had ties to Islamic extremist organizations.

The controversy reached a fever pitch when Almontaser was quoted defending the use of the word "intifada" on a T-shirt. She said in Arabic it simply means "shaking off."

Soon after, Almontaser resigned and the city replaced her with a Jewish principal who doesn't speak Arabic.

The verbal attacks caused Colon to pull her son out of the school.

"The people who are so against the school for me seem more like the terrorists, by terrorizing the community and making us feel that it's unsafe for our children to be there," she said. "They're the ones who are terrorizing us. Not the school, not the principal and not the administration."

advertisement

Garth Harries, chief executive of the city's Department of Education's Office of New Schools, said 55 of the 60 slots have been filled at the school, which offers "a core sixth-grade curriculum."

The school will begin by teaching just sixth-graders, then add a grade each year to end up with 500 to 600 students in grades 6-12, Department of Education spokeswoman Melody Meyer told The Associated Press last week. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

This is outragous. It's a language school. Why must everything be about Terrorism and paranioa?

[moved from GCIH to AvT]

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Because first and

Because first and foremost america is at war. Second they have a history of lying about this stuff, in England they claim that they don't have extermists in their mosques, yet it was found they do have them, same happened in Canada, and in America. The claim of a peaceful religion is also a lie as in it's entire history islam has had maybe 13 years of peace, and that was at the beginning of it, after that, it's been force the religion down the throats of people, which it has done in Africa, Middle east, Thailand, south east asia. To which there is lots of evidence of such doings. As well any religion that apostasy (sp?) and the threat of death if you either go to the authorities or contradict an imam, or those issuing extermist views, well it's really hard to get people from the inside to talk.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
Because first and foremost america is at war. Second they have a history of lying about this stuff, in England they claim that they don't have extermists in their mosques, yet it was found they do have them, same happened in Canada, and in America. The claim of a peaceful religion is also a lie as in it's entire history islam has had maybe 13 years of peace, and that was at the beginning of it, after that, it's been force the religion down the throats of people, which it has done in Africa, Middle east, Thailand, south east asia. To which there is lots of evidence of such doings. As well any religion that apostasy (sp?) and the threat of death if you either go to the authorities or contradict an imam, or those issuing extermist views, well it's really hard to get people from the inside to talk.

Dude, it's a secular school. All they're teaching is Arab language/culture.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    yeah, again, heard

yeah, again, heard that arguement before, it was secular.....and there were oh wait extermists teaching, they pick certain students not all of course.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
yeah, again, heard that arguement before, it was secular.....and there were oh wait extermists teaching, they pick certain students not all of course.

Prove it. Prove they're terrorists, 'cause I'm sure the FBI would like to know.

Oh and are you refering to this?

Two local tabloids reported claims she had ties to Islamic extremist organizations.

Yeah, it's the TABLOIDS! Seriously, do they have any evidence? 

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Latincanuk, such an extreme

Latincanuk, such an extreme view. I was proud you were a fellow Canadian on the forums. How can you simply jump to such conclusions regarding a secular school teaching Arabic language and culture. Schools all over Canada (universities, grade schools, high schools) teach the same subjects. I find it hard to jump to the conclusion that there must be islamists in charge of and teaching at the school. I'm very sure that cpt is right, that the FBI would dearly like to know who they are. If it were such a case, and considering its publicity, we would know for sure something else. The point, non-Muslims were attending and directing the school. I would find it hard for there to be a terrorist cell operating out of a school in New York that has a Jewish founder and principal within a public school board. I think it's appalling that a language and culture can't be offered as a subject at a school without the school being targeted by simple bigotry. Apparently islamaphobia includes the language and culture of the majority Muslim places the language and culture come from. I'm thoroughly sickened. Imagine if people associated the Irish language and culture with extremist Christians. Or the Serbian/Croatian language and culture with extremist Christians. I'm sure you would find that as detestable as I find this. You should not simply equate religious extremism with a langauge and culture.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Wait one minute, this

Wait one minute, this isn't some university, college or accredited school, it is a religious school, at least that is what is said in the article. Maybe i read it wrong, however in CANADA specifically Mississauge, they did have teachers that did have extermist views teaching student arabic in a religious school, now is there something WRONG to teach arabic, no, is there something wrong with teaching arabic in a religious school no, however if there are ties to extermists, is there something wrong there, yes, i didn't say terrorists i said extermists, extermists themselves aren't terrorist, do they suport terrorism? maybe, maybe not, but i rather be on the safe side than be wrong. Second non muslim was directing the school after the controversy, before the head person was a arabic, islamic however i don't know personally i didn't see it in the article.
    However the this is what i stated, the facts, yes AMERICA is at war with an arab nation, therefore arabs are going to be painted in a bad picture, remember this, it's the game of tag, september 10, it was blacks and hispanics, on september 11 they went to the arabs and said, tag your it. The second part i did state another fact, they have lied before about having extermists in their mosques and schools, in England, in Canada and in the US, so they are in a bad position as it is. Do i condemn it, not really, i rather that the truth come out, however, at this moment in time would i rather error on being wrong and checking it out, or being right and not doing anything?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy

Thomathy wrote:

Apparently islamaphobia includes the language and culture of the majority Muslim places the language and culture come from. I'm thoroughly sickened. Imagine if people associated the Irish language and culture with extremist Christians. Or the Serbian/Croatian language and culture with extremist Christians. I'm sure you would find that as detestable as I find this. You should not simply equate religious extremism with a langauge and culture.

Yes this does include language and culture. I bet you can name many, sterotypes just due to a persons culture and or language. Why do Americans were Canadian flags when they go aboard, ( not all of them but some do), because there is a hatred towards american culture and bastarding of the english language. There was a hatred between china and japan for historical purposes, but each hated the others. however same goes for the jews, the irish, italians, russians, polish, english, protestants (depends which part of the world), catholics (many parts of the world),  jamicans, guyanese, west indies, pakistan, etc etc etc....again, I am just stating the facts here, i never said it was my personal opinion.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not Islamaphobic. Some

I'm not Islamaphobic. Some of my best friends wear suicide belts.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, that was one biased as

OK, that was one biased as fuck article. I don't care if the school is secular or not, but the issue requires better than this.

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Wavefreak, I'm gonna assume

Wavefreak, I'm gonna assume that's a joke, but I'm inclined to say not so funny. I know many people from the Middle East, different countries and religion, Islam included, and they are some of the least violent people I know and are universally disgusted at that parody of their religion.

On the issue at hand, it seems a far cry from trying to hold our culture while growing together that a school cannot even teach a language and culture because of our irrational fear.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I am going to say it

I am going to say it is a joke, and it is funny beause they have allowed this to become their religion (which it really does allow itself to be take this form because there are SO many verses that allow violence against others) and they have become famous for this, very few of their clerics speak against these attacks and many of their more famous clerics side with the terrorists. As such, if they are embarrassed about it, do something about it, speak against it, do something actively against these terrorists and their acts. Otherwise, it's no different the prayer....wasting time.