Proving the existence of Jesus as a historical person

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proving the existence of Jesus as a historical person

The Jesus Seminar is a large group of scholars dedicated to finding the authentic sayings of the historical Jesus. They examined the transmission of sayings from Jesus to the writing of the 5 gospels (Thomas included).

Jesus taught his followers orally. The oral memory best retains sayings and anecdotes that are shown provocative, memorable, and oft-repeated. The most frequently recorded words of Jesus in the surviving gospels take the form of aphorisms and parables. The earliest layer of the gospel tradition is made up of single aphorisms and parables that circulated by word of mouth prior to the written gospels.

With these facts considered, the Seminar formulated key characteristics to authentic the sayings of Jesus. (Note: The seminar only considers 18% of the sayings in the 5 gospels to be authentic to the historical Jesus)

-Jesus' characteristic talk was distinctive. It can usually be distinguished from common lore. Otherwise it is futile to search for the authentic words of Jesus.

-Jesus' sayings and parables cut against the social and religious grain.

-Jesus' sayings and parables surprise and shock: they characteristically call for a reversal of roles or frustrate ordinary, everyday expectations.

-Jesus' sayings and parables are often characterized by exaggeration, humor and paradox.

-Jesus' images are concrete and vivid, his sayings and parables customarily metaphorical and without explicit application.

Other generalizations about his manner:

-Jesus does not as a rule initiate dialogue or debate, nor does he offer to cure people.

-Jesus rarely makes pronouncements or speaks about himself in the first person. 

Conclusion: The fact that these characteristics are present in multiple, independent sources (Mark, Q, Thomas, M, L, John) implies a single person to initiate these sayings. Given this information, it is rational beyond a reasonable doubt to consider Jesus to be a historical person.

For this post I am referencing The Five Gospels, by Robert Funk and Roy Hoover. If you want to investigate the sayings of the historical Jesus, pick up this book. Finally, before atheists on this forum ignore me as a fundamentalist Christian I should point out two things: 1) No one who supports the Jesus Seminar is a fundy. 2) I am not a Christian.  

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

patcleaver
patcleaver's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:The Jesus

Christos wrote:

The Jesus Seminar is a large group of scholars dedicated to finding the authentic sayings of the historical Jesus. They examined the transmission of sayings from Jesus to the writing of the 5 gospels (Thomas included).

So far so good.

Christos wrote:
Jesus taught his followers orally.
No evidence that there ever was a Jesus.

Christos wrote:
The oral memory best retains sayings and anecdotes that are shown provocative, memorable, and oft-repeated.
No evidence that there was any oral memory of sayings of Jesus before the gospels.

Christos wrote:
The most frequently recorded words of Jesus in the surviving gospels take the form of aphorisms and parables. 
No evidence that the gospels contain any recorded words of Jesus.

Christos wrote:
The earliest layer of the gospel tradition is made up of single aphorisms and parables that circulated by word of mouth prior to the written gospels.
No evidence that single aphorisms and parables that circulated by word of mouth prior to the written gospels.

Christos wrote:
With these facts considered
these are not facts they are just bullshit that someone made up.

Christos wrote:
the Seminar formulated key characteristics to authentic the sayings of Jesus. (Note: The seminar only considers 18% of the sayings in the 5 gospels to be authentic to the historical Jesus)
The methods used by the Jesus Seminar are outrageously flawed. They presupposed that Jesus existed. They presumed that the sayings attributed to Jesus were actually said by Jesus unless there was some reason to think they were not actually said by Jesus, but that is illogical because we should not believe that something is true unless there is evidence that its true. They assumed that if they could not find an earlier example of a saying that it was original, when we have less than 1% of the pre-existing literature that was available at the time.

Christos wrote:
-Jesus' characteristic talk was distinctive. It can usually be distinguished from common lore. Otherwise it is futile to search for the authentic words of Jesus.
They are admitting that this presupposition is illegitimate - not based on facts.

Christos wrote:
-Jesus' sayings and parables cut against the social and religious grain.
After they determined that only 18% of his sayings were by Jesus, there was not enough material left to legitimize this presupposition.

Christos wrote:
-Jesus' sayings and parables surprise and shock: they characteristically call for a reversal of roles or frustrate ordinary, everyday expectations.
It is more likely that material developed in written form is characterized by surprise and shock, reversal of roles, or frustration of ordinary, everyday expectations.

Christos wrote:
-Jesus' sayings and parables are often characterized by exaggeration, humor and paradox.
It is more likely that material developed in written form is characterized by exaggeration, humor and paradox.

Christos wrote:
-Jesus' images are concrete and vivid, his sayings and parables customarily metaphorical and without explicit application. 
It is more likely that material developed in written form is characterized by being concrete and vivid, metaphorical and without explicit application.

Other generalizations about his manner:

Christos wrote:
-Jesus does not as a rule initiate dialogue or debate, nor does he offer to cure people.
It is not legitimate to subjectively characterize the sayings or actions of Jesus and then claim that some saying or action of Jesus is authentic because it meets that subjective characterization.

Christos wrote:
-Jesus rarely makes pronouncements or speaks about himself in the first person. 
Again, it is not legitimate to subjectively characterize the sayings of Jesus and then claim that some saying of Jesus is authentic because it meets that subjective characterization.

Christos wrote:
Conclusion: The fact that these characteristics are present in multiple, independent sources (Mark, Q, Thomas, M, L, John) implies a single person to initiate these sayings. Given this information, it is rational beyond a reasonable doubt to consider Jesus to be a historical person.
There is no evidence that these gospels are independent, on the contrary, there is no reasonable evidence that Q existed, we know that Matt, Luke and John are dependent on Mark, there is no reasonable evidence that any of these gospels existed before the 4th century. Mark is obviously a work of fiction.  Handwriting analysis of forgeries bought from antiquities dealers can not be used as evidence of when they were written.

Christos wrote:
For this post I am referencing The Five Gospels, by Robert Funk and Roy Hoover. If you want to investigate the sayings of the historical Jesus, pick up this book. Finally, before atheists on this forum ignore me as a fundamentalist Christian I should point out two things: 1) No one who supports the Jesus Seminar is a fundy. 2) I am not a Christian.
Many of the members of the Jesus Seminar were fundamentalists when they started, but as they investigated the facts of the Gospels they tended to become more liberal. At least one member who started out as a fundamentalist eventually became a public atheist.

when you say "faith" I think "evil lies"
when you say "god" I think "santa clause"

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:Here's a talk

Topher wrote:

Here's a talk by Richard Carrier on the issues of applying scientific values to morality.  

Why science is better than religion and always has been:

I was sifting through these videos the other day, because of your suggestion. And I'm suprised that secularist after all this time still peddle this superstition. I'm guessing this fairy tale is easily swallowed when it isn't taken into practice, because doing so in practice would reveal how silly such notions are. As if evil, surrenders to lofty arguments.

I recall my days in a HS plagued by violence, that a class called "conflict resolution" was introduced into the curriculum, promoted by that secular humanism dream, only to realize that I had seen more fights break out in the class than any other ones. I have friends who are college educated, and well off who go to clubs on weekends for the sole purpose of looking for fights, because they find this violent expression as fulfilling, and empowering, and I would like to see Richard Carrier result to his lofty arguments to dissuade them.

During the civil rights movement, the pervasive liberal belief was that "racism was a problem of prejudice that would naturally succumb to the American creed and education. Those muscular liberals who had embraced realism in the global arena clung to the fantasy of what the historian David Kennedy called ''a virtually painless exit from the nation's racist history.'

Such optimism was not shared by blacks, who did not stress enlightened rationality but the presence of sin and the need for its chastisement.

[...] Fannie Lou Hamer,  knew the evil of the Mississippi police who tortured her and the goofiness of the idea that they would surrender to lofty arguments." http://www.nytimes.com/ref/books/review/08RIEDERT.html

Richard Carrier may come off convincing to a group of a middle aged middle class humanist from Canada, but a joke to anyone who even slightly understands the strains on the human condition, and the illusion of morality. So let's not get into the business of selling unexamined myths.

If you still find yourself in support of Carrier's ideas I suggest you break them down for me, tell me in your words what you think scientific values are, and how these values relate to moral values.

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"...] Fannie Lou Hamer,

"...] Fannie Lou Hamer,  knew the evil of the Mississippi police who tortured her and the goofiness of the idea that they would surrender to lofty arguments." http://www.nytimes.com/ref/books/review/08RIEDERT.html"

And the lofty arguments of the Bible did so much better...

Funny how no progress was made until the troops came in, huh?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:"...] Fannie

jcgadfly wrote:

"...] Fannie Lou Hamer,  knew the evil of the Mississippi police who tortured her and the goofiness of the idea that they would surrender to lofty arguments." http://www.nytimes.com/ref/books/review/08RIEDERT.html"

lofty arguments of the bible? who said anything about lofty arguments of the bible?

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:jcgadfly

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

lofty arguments of the bible? who said anything about lofty arguments of the bible?

You did indirectly when you mentioned the "presence of sin and the need for chastisement". As we were talking about the America of the '60s Christianity was the majority religion for the black folk of that time.

Did you need more time to provide a direct connection?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You did

jcgadfly wrote:

You did indirectly when you mentioned the "presence of sin and the need for chastisement". As we were talking about the America of the '60s Christianity was the majority religion for the black folk of that time.

Uhm that's not an argument from the bible, its only an argument from the bible if in fact it's implications are that "sin" only exist because the bible says it does. Here sin has a context in the reality of the times, not relegated to a book. It can simply be reworded as the presence of immorality and the need for it's correction. It has a context independent of the bible, though the word has biblical origins, the concept does not. 

Thinking of it this way, if the word love, or morality was conceived of by theist, does that mean that when we use such terms that we are making theistic arguments?

In fact you'll find a number of atheist who reference passages from the bible, such as Hitchen's use of Isaiah's woe to those who call evil good, and good evil", or Sam Harris's use of Paul's staring through the glass darkly, when they are in no way shape or form making biblical arguments. 

I agree with the christian conception of sin, other than the strain that conceives of it as something cosmic that resulted from some fellow literally eating a magical fruit, even when i was a disbeliever. I can agree that sin is present in humanity, and that sin is rooted in human nature rather than purely human institutions, and environments, and this conception of sin can only be biblical if that it is dependent on the bible for it to be true.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Uhm that's not an argument from the bible, its only an argument from the bible if in fact it's implications are that "sin" only exist because the bible says it does. Here sin has a context in the reality of the times, not relegated to a book. It can simply be reworded as the presence of immorality and the need for it's correction. It has a context independent of the bible, though the word has biblical origins, the concept does not. 

Thinking of it this way, if the word love, or morality was conceived of by theist, does that mean that when we use such terms that we are making theistic arguments?

In fact you'll find a number of atheist who reference passages from the bible, such as Hitchen's use of Isaiah's woe to those who call evil good, and good evil", or Sam Harris's use of Paul's staring through the glass darkly, when they are in no way shape or form making biblical arguments. 

I agree with the christian conception of sin, other than the strain that conceives of it as something cosmic that resulted from some fellow literally eating a magical fruit, even when i was a disbeliever. I can agree that sin is present in humanity, and that sin is rooted in human nature rather than purely human institutions, and environments, and this conception of sin can only be biblical if that it is dependent on the bible for it to be true.

Would "sin" have a definition at all without a religion's (in this case Christianity's) holy book? Doubtful.

Bad actions exist but only religion calls them sins.

— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Would "sin"

jcgadfly wrote:

Would "sin" have a definition at all without a religion's (in this case Christianity's) holy book? Doubtful.

Sure it would, in fact the oxford English dictionary has one such definition of sin as such:

Sin: an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission he committedthe unforgivable sin of refusing to give interviews 

In fact even the wikipedia definition of sin has similar connotations: sin: "an act that violates a moral rule, or the state of having committed such a violation."....."Sin is often used to mean an action that is prohibited or considered wrong."...."Colloquially, any thought, word, or act considered immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating might be termed "sinful".

Do "thoughts, words, or acst considered immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating" exist outside of a holy book? Do acts "regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission" exist out of a holy book? Do  acts that violates a moral rule, or the state of having committed such a violation." exist outside of a holy book?

Of course they do. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

theidiot wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Sure it would, in fact the oxford English dictionary has one such definition of sin as such:

Sin: an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission he committedthe unforgivable sin of refusing to give interviews 

In fact even the wikipedia definition of sin has similar connotations: sin: "an act that violates a moral rule, or the state of having committed such a violation."....."Sin is often used to mean an action that is prohibited or considered wrong."...."Colloquially, any thought, word, or act considered immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating might be termed "sinful".

Do "thoughts, words, or acst considered immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating" exist outside of a holy book? Do acts "regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission" exist out of a holy book? Do  acts that violates a moral rule, or the state of having committed such a violation." exist outside of a holy book?

Of course they do. 

Yes, the acts exist outside of the books. I never said otherwise. They are called "thoughts, words, or acts considered immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating"

The word "sin" would likely never have been attributed to such acts without the religious context behind it. "Immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating acts/words/thoughts" would be called such.

Personally, I think such acts were called sins because the religions offered forgiveness for them, allowing people to clear their consciences and be in good standing with the god of their creation. That creates the cycle of "commit sin, get forgiveness, repeat" that so many christian theists love.

Man made gods. Religions made sin and sold forgiveness.

Does this make Jesus historical? Not necessarily. I believe there may have been a Jesus. It's the son of God character that isn't historical.

— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Uhm that's

theidiot wrote:
Uhm that's not an argument from the bible, its only an argument from the bible if in fact it's implications are that "sin" only exist because the bible says it does.  

"Sin" is the moral judgement of a human behaviour. In reality, there are behaviours. We can judge them good or bad if we like, but those are moral judgements. Similarly for any gods, who might judge behaviours as good or bad.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

sharond31
User is offlineOffline
If there is a sin against

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.~  Albert Camus

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
sharond31 wrote:If there is

sharond31 wrote:

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.~  Albert Camus

Nice quote

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin