Proving the existence of Jesus as a historical person

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proving the existence of Jesus as a historical person

The Jesus Seminar is a large group of scholars dedicated to finding the authentic sayings of the historical Jesus. They examined the transmission of sayings from Jesus to the writing of the 5 gospels (Thomas included).

Jesus taught his followers orally. The oral memory best retains sayings and anecdotes that are shown provocative, memorable, and oft-repeated. The most frequently recorded words of Jesus in the surviving gospels take the form of aphorisms and parables. The earliest layer of the gospel tradition is made up of single aphorisms and parables that circulated by word of mouth prior to the written gospels.

With these facts considered, the Seminar formulated key characteristics to authentic the sayings of Jesus. (Note: The seminar only considers 18% of the sayings in the 5 gospels to be authentic to the historical Jesus)

-Jesus' characteristic talk was distinctive. It can usually be distinguished from common lore. Otherwise it is futile to search for the authentic words of Jesus.

-Jesus' sayings and parables cut against the social and religious grain.

-Jesus' sayings and parables surprise and shock: they characteristically call for a reversal of roles or frustrate ordinary, everyday expectations.

-Jesus' sayings and parables are often characterized by exaggeration, humor and paradox.

-Jesus' images are concrete and vivid, his sayings and parables customarily metaphorical and without explicit application.

Other generalizations about his manner:

-Jesus does not as a rule initiate dialogue or debate, nor does he offer to cure people.

-Jesus rarely makes pronouncements or speaks about himself in the first person. 

Conclusion: The fact that these characteristics are present in multiple, independent sources (Mark, Q, Thomas, M, L, John) implies a single person to initiate these sayings. Given this information, it is rational beyond a reasonable doubt to consider Jesus to be a historical person.

For this post I am referencing The Five Gospels, by Robert Funk and Roy Hoover. If you want to investigate the sayings of the historical Jesus, pick up this book. Finally, before atheists on this forum ignore me as a fundamentalist Christian I should point out two things: 1) No one who supports the Jesus Seminar is a fundy. 2) I am not a Christian.  

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Ahura Mazda
Ahura Mazda's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cassiopeia wrote: Ahurza

Cassiopeia wrote:
Ahurza Mazada- I can't say I fully agree with your opinion yet, but will look into it further without contention.

I can't ask for more than that.  Personally, I don't care one bit if Jesus existed or not: if he did, he was just a Jewish preacher proclaiming a First Century message about the end of the world.  One that quickly proved to be wrong.  So if the Jesus Myth hypothesis was coherent and compelling, I'd be perfectly happy to embrace it.  It's just that it looks to me to be too obviously a contrived argument invented by people who want to take scepticism about Christianity to an absurdly unsustainable level, purely for ideological reasons.  And ideological motivations always make for really bad historical analysis. 

Thandarr wrote:

You are assuming that the creators of the Jesus story were skilled sciriptural scholars. I am not.

No, I'm assuming no such thing.  I have no problem with the idea that the writers of the gospels (leaving these mysterious "creators of the Jesus story" to one side) and their sources made some interpretations of Messianic traditions and texts which are clearly strained, dubious or plainly bungled.  There's no question about that.  But the point is:

(i) All the other texts they use, misuse or bungle actually are Messianic texts or ones traditionally associated with the coming Messiah, whereas Judges 13 isn't.

(ii) The association with the so-called "prophecy" in Matt 2:23 with Judges 13 is little more than a guess anyway.  

(iii) For something that was suposedly introduced to the story on the basis of a text that wasn't a Messianic prophecy in the first place, Nazareth plays a very major part in the story.  And a remarkably negative one.  Over and over again, the fact that Jesus is a Nazarene is raised as a reason NOT to believe his Messianic claim, the people of Nazareth reject him and, in one episode, even try to kill him.  This is a very weird role for Nazareth to play if it's meant to be a proof that he IS the Messiah.

So that explanation really doesn't hang together very coherently.  Like many Jesus Myth arguments, it seems to be some special pleading to explain away something that doesn't fit with the the theory.  That sort of argument requires assuming the Jesus Myth conclusion in order to come up with an argument to preserve that conclusion.  That kind of circular reasoning is one of the reasons the Jesus Myth is a fringe idea of no academic respectability. 

Quote:
If Matthew is not talking about Judges 13, then what is he talking about when he says that Jesus was fulfilling prophesy that the messiah would be a nazarene/nazirite?

That's a good question and it's one that fundie apologists have spilled a lot of ink trying to answer.  They believe that the Bible is inerrant, so if Matthew says there is a prophecy about Jesus that can't be found in the OT, this poses them a major problem.  I won't bore you with their convoluted "solutions" because they are irrelevant here.

So why does Matthew put this "prophecy" in here if it doesn't actually exist?  A clue lies in the words he uses to introduce the supposed text: "So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."  Note that he refers not to a prophet, but more broadly (and vaguely) to "the prophets" (plural).  Which prophets?  Where?  Who knows.  And that seems to be the point.

Elsewhere Matthew is far more specific.  His usual formula for introducing a prophecy is to name the prophet (eg Matt 2:17) or to quote the prophecy directly (eg  Matt 1:22-23)  and refer to "the prophet" (singular) who made it.  But here he is non-specific, oddly vague and uses a broader plural.

The reason seems to be that he had attempted to show how all the other major events in the story fitted with Messianic prophecies, but there was no such prophecy about Nazareth.  So this rather vague so-called "prophecy" is invoked, though with a formula that doesn't make it clear which "prophets" supposedly "said" the Messiah was to be from Nazareth. It waves a generalised sort of prophecy over Nazareth without actually citing one specifically.

The reason for the need to invent this non-existent prophecy and couch it in this vague attribution was the fact that Nazareth was a stumbling block for Jews who were considering adopting Christianity (ie Matthew's primary audience). Not only was it a town of no religious significance, it was in Galilee - a place called "Galilee of the Gentiles" to the more fastidious Jews in less multicultural and religiously diverse Judea.  Matthew (or his sources) needed to try to soften the problems that Jesus' Nazarean origins posed to potential converts.

And he/they needed to do this because he did exist and he was from Nazareth. 

Quote:
Granted, the N.T. frequently says that various things appear in scripture that don't.

Since the works of the NT were written before any agreement on what constituted OT "Scripture", that's not too surprising though. 

Quote:
There are a lot of embarrassing Nazareth references in the Bible. Jn. 7:52. The whole Jesus couldn't do miracles there story. A better creative solution was probably to just leave Jesus as a Bethlehemite, but that wasn't what the authors did.

Umm, that's assuming the Jesus Myth conclusion again.  Why didn't they do that?  And who were these people anyway?  What was their motivation?  When and where did they invent this non-existent Messiah?  How did they manage to achieve this without anyone - Christian or otherwise - noticing or remembering that Jesus had never actually existed?  Why is there no evidence of these supposed original Christians who didn't believe in a real Jesus?

There are just too many implausible suppositions in this story and too much that needs to happen too quickly, all without leaving the slightest trace or memory, for this fantasy version of Christianity's origins to be plausible.  Sure, you can invent a story, but one that's too highly contrived and too silly to take seriously as history.  

Quote:
I don't really have any conclusions about the Bible except that it's far too convoluted, contradictory, and otherwise inept to be the inspired word of a god qualified to make the universe.

No arguments there.  But that's not a good reason to take scepticism about the NT stories to the absurd level whereby there was no Jesus at all.  That there was a guy who these stories attached themselves to makes to a much more plausible story that requires less suppositions that the Jesus Myth version.  And Occam's Razor is not kind to theories with lots of contrived suppositions dangling from them. 

Quote:
Sure it is possible that there was a wandering Jesus fellow. Sure, he may have even been from Nazareth. The idea that there was a single real life figure around whom the major elements of the Jesus story were written is, to me, as yet unsupported by convincing evidence.

Since new evidence is unlikely to turn up soon, we are left with what we have.  As with so many other questions in ancient and medieval history, conclusive evidence is absent.  So we are left with what reconstruction of the facts is most plausible, requires the least suppositions and is least driven by modern philosophical and ideological ulterior motives.  The Jesus Myth fails all those tests. 

Quote:
I do suggest, however, that you risk error by giving too much credence to the authors of the Gospels on any point whatsoever.

I'm not sure what this means.  I don't give them much credence at all, except as statements about what later First Century people believed.  They are also our major sources of information about what may have happened in the earlier First Century, despite their clear faults and frustrating limitations.  That's how I use them. 

The "Wise Old Atheist" says: They decided to invent a god and came up with one who looked like a peasant preacher from Galilee?! Were they on crack?

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
We're about to get to the point at which it doesn't matter

I think we're about to get to the point at which it doesn't matter anymore. My answer to the question whether there was actually a Jesus of Nazareth is that I don't know. Maybe there was. Maybe there wasn't. My point is that about the only evidence that there was is from a bunch of writings which include a great deal of nonsense that plainly did not happen. I think the Nazarene reference could have been to try to create yet another fulfilled prophesy. I understand that what you are saying is that there was actually a Jesus of Nazareth who was supposed to be the figure written about in the Gosepls. It was unfortunate that he was a Nazarene from Gallilee because that blows the messiah theory according to local legend (if not scripture). Since the model for the Jesus stories was an actual Jesus from Nazareth, the authors of the Gospels had a lot of explaining to do. If the scuttlebutt was that Jesus was from Nazareth, the evangelists had to deal with it.

Well, maybe. But if so, what difference does it make? I can come up with a lot of theories as to where the original authors of the gospels got their ideas.

I have suspected that there may have been one or more Jesuses around whom the myths coalesced. I just don't think that the evidence, which is so polluted with absurd assertions about Jesus of Nazareth, are particularly trustworthy.

The problem I have with your theory is that if there was a Jesus of Nazareth about whom the Gospels were written, and there was a lot of rumor, innuendo, and hearsay about that Jesus, at least some of it would have to be that he didn't really do any magic tricks and he certainly didn't rise from the dead. There would be a lot more to explain away than that he came from a hick town in Galillee.

As to evidence turning up, one could have easily said 100 years ago that we've got all the evidence we're ever going to see about Jesus of Nazareth. And that one would be wrong, missing out on the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Nag Hammadi library, The Gospel of Thomas, the recent Jesus Grave fiasco, and the Gospel of Judas. Maybe something else will turn up.

In the meantime, I don't particularly care if there was a Jesus of Nazareth who was the model for the hero of the Gospels. It's hard to see why debunking the Jesus Myth hypothesis is any easier than debunking the Jesus Actually Existed theory. The correct answer is "(e) It cannot be determined from the information given."

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote: You are

Thandarr wrote:

You are assuming that the creators of the Jesus story were skilled sciriptural scholars. I am not. Mark begins his gospel with a botched reference to Isaiah. There's the "virgin" example I gave you. Mark also screwed up the commandments ("Do not defraud&quotEye-wink. They weren't all that good. I think they may have made up a lot of things in misguided attempts to match up with scripture.

I agree with you concerning these errors, but to lump in the Markian author with true hack jobs like Matthew is an error. The Markian author was quite skilled at creating Midrash, his writing style, featuring complex pericopes, is actually impressive from a literary stance.

In addition, when you consider, further, how he well he used his source material (The OT, particularly the books of Kings, Daniel, Samuel, etc.)  you should come away impressed with his creative skills. 

Quote:

I do suggest, however, that you risk error by giving too much credence to the authors of the Gospels on any point whatsoever.

I agree with you concerning the Matthew author, he was a blundering hack. The Luke and John authors were not much better. But the Markian author was a skilled story teller.

Michael A. Turton's Historical Commentary on the Gospel of Mark, does a wonderful job of demonstrating that "Mark" is a skillfuly written 'Midrash' and therefore not history.

His site was formerly located here:

http://users2.ev1.net/%7Eturton/GMark/GMark_index.html

I believe it was taken down so that he could present the work as a published book. The site can still be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060427175532/users2.ev1.net/~turton/GMark/GMark_index.html)

Michael Turton writes:

If Mark is history, where are the reliable methods for uncovering it? If Mark knew real traditions, why would be bother to parallel some other story every time Jesus does something major? It's not like this is a sometime thing. Almost every story in Mark draws on the OT, and Mark often tells you where he got it from one way or another (and if he doesn't, that fussbudget Matthew certainly will). The few stories that are not OT in origin have a narrative function, and of course, are so totally bound up with the supernatural that they are certainly fiction -- sometimes both (as in the Gerasene Demoniac, for example, though that has OT echoes too).

More here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/the_gospels_are_midrash

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote: I think

Thandarr wrote:

I think we're about to get to the point at which it doesn't matter anymore. My answer to the question whether there was actually a Jesus of Nazareth is that I don't know. Maybe there was. Maybe there wasn't. My point is that about the only evidence that there was is from a bunch of writings which include a great deal of nonsense that plainly did not happen. 

Strongly agreed. And when you consider that these 'four'* sources make claims that demand a reaction from SOME historian of that period, and yet, NONE exist, it's easy to see how a non believer has no problem rejecting the jesus claim.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/a_silence_that_screams_no_contemporary_historical_accounts_for_jesus

* The idea that there are 'four' sources, the gospels, is of course preposterous, given the clear evidence that Luke and Matthew rely on Mark.  The idea is even more ludicrous when we realize that they only reason we have 'four' gospels in the first place is because there are 'four cardinal directions:  N, E, S and W. We could just as easily have 35 claimants of gospels, or just one.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: The idea is

todangst wrote:
The idea is even more ludicrous when we realize that they only reason we have 'four' gospels in the first place is because there are 'four cardinal directions: N, E, S and W. We could just as easily have 35 claimants of gospels, or just one.

Wait, come again? I've never heard the cardinal directions thing. Was that actually the reasoning of the canonization council? 

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith

JeremiahSmith wrote:

todangst wrote:
The idea is even more ludicrous when we realize that they only reason we have 'four' gospels in the first place is because there are 'four cardinal directions: N, E, S and W. We could just as easily have 35 claimants of gospels, or just one.

Wait, come again? I've never heard the cardinal directions thing. Was that actually the reasoning of the canonization council?

Not quite. We don't have any record of the reasoning of such councils and why they ruled out Thomas, Philip, Peter, Ebionites, Hebrews, Nazarenes, James, Judas, Mary, Mary Mag. (yes, those too) . It was a rationalization given after the fact by Irenaeus, a  Christian Bishop of Lyon in 180AD. When asked why there were four gospels, he said that the earth has four corners, there are four winds, etc., so there should be four gospels to match...

Here's the quote from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

The saintly Bishop of Lyons, Irenæus (died 202), who had known Polycarp in Asia Minor, not only admits and quotes our four Gospels, but argues that they must be just four, no more and no less. He says: "It is not possible that the Gospels be either more or fewer than they are. For since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds, while the Church is scattered throughout the world, and the pillar and ground of the Church is the Gospel and the Spirit of life; it is fitting that we should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side and vivifying our flesh. . . The living creatures are quadriform, and the Gospel is quadriform, as is also the course followed by the Lord" (Adv. Hær., III, xi, Cool

So there you go, since the world has only four zones,  we must have only four gospels.

Ah, christianity.... 

Ahura Mazda
Ahura Mazda's picture
User is offlineOffline
JeremiahSmith

JeremiahSmith wrote:

todangst wrote:

Here we go again with this "canonization council" nonsense. It would be good if people here who want to talk about how the Canon came to be would actually do some reading on the matter instead of desperately clinging to this simplistic myth of some non-existent "Council" that chose which books made the cut. That's a nice, neat, simple idea and - like most such ideas in the study of history - it's also totally wrong.

The Canon formed by a long process of consensus over several centuries from the mid-Second Century to the end of the Fourth. The first and only full Ecumenical Council that made any kind of declaration on the matter was the Council of Trent, and that was in 1562. There were several local synods that, in the late Fourth Century, endorsed what had already developed as the established Canon, but that's about it. And it was not even on the agenda at the Council of Nicea. If anyone wants to do some real reading on how, when and why the Canon developed they could start with Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew, then Lee M. McDonald and J.A. Sanders, The Canon Debate, Bruce Metzger, The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance and finally David Dungun's Constantine's Bible: Politics And the Making of the New Testament.

All of these studies show that the process was far from simple, took about two centuries and that no mythcial "canonization council" was involved. Dungun's book concentrates several key chapters on the methodology used to determine the "canonicity" of a given text, demonstrating how the method used had been adapted from that used in a similar process by the Greek philosophical schools.

There's quite a bit in the real history of how the Christian Bible came to be that wouldn't give the average fundie a lot of comfort about their "divinely inspired" book, but the idea that it was cobbled together via some arbitary process by some silly/evil dudes with beards at some "canonization council" is pure simplistic garbage.

As is the idea that the Bible contains four gospels because there are four cardinal points of the compass. What "todangst" seems to be referring to is Irenaeus' passage on the four gospels in his Against Heresies (III.11.8 ). There he links the four gospels which he upholds as canonical (this was back in around 180 AD) to the "four living creatures" of Revelations 4:7 and Ezekiel 1:10. who he associated with the four cardinal points of the compass (something not found in either Revelations or Ezekiel).

What Ireneaus is doing here is saying that the four "living creatures" in both texts represent the four gospels that were already upheld as being the earliest and most authoritative. He then argues that "It is not possible that the Gospels can be either more or fewer in number than they are." and "proves" this by a series of mystical assocations - eg there are "four zones of the world" and "four principal winds" (from the four cardinal points of the compass) so "it is fitting that [the Church] should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side, and vivifying men afresh." (Adversus Haereses,
III, 11, 8
)

How anyone could get the weird idea from this passage that there were four gospels chosen because there were four principle winds is a mystery. Analysis based on that kind of boneheaded misunderstanding of the source material is always going to end up in total nonsense. If there had been five accepted gospels, or seven or nine Irenaeus would have found some mystical association with those numbers as well. It was the number of accepted gospels that drove the mystic association, not the other way around.

And now "todangst" has added this:

todangst wrote:
Not quite. We don't have any record of the reasoning of such councils and why they ruled out Thomas, Philip, Peter, Ebionites, Hebrews, Nazarenes, James, Judas, Mary, Mary Mag. (yes, those too) . It was a rationalization given after the fact by Irenaeus, a Christian Bishop of Lyon in 180AD.

If this was a "rationalization given after the fact" then this means we not only have non-existent fantasy "Councils" deciding on the Canon, but we have them doing so before 180 AD!! The amazing things I'm learning here seem to never cease. Undecided

Anyway, back to Thandar's post above:

Thandarr wrote:

I think we're about to get to the point at which it doesn't matter anymore.

Maybe.

Quote:
My answer to the question whether there was actually a Jesus of Nazareth is that I don't know. Maybe there was. Maybe there wasn't.

Definite knowledge is elusive about all kinds of things in the study of pre-Modern history - that comes with the territory. This leaves us to try to determine what is more likely. The huge mountain of suppositions required to sustain the idea that someone (who?) invented Jesus wholesale (why?) and just a few decades later this fact had been totally forgotten means that I simply find this theory too implausible. Occam's Razor indicates that the much simpler idea that a preacher became the focus of a series of religious legends requires fewer suppositions and is therefore far more likely.

Quote:
My point is that about the only evidence that there was is from a bunch of writings which include a great deal of nonsense that plainly did not happen.

Another occupational hazard when dealing with ancient texts. Look at some of the superstitious nonsense in Suetonius for example - utter nonsense that plainly did not happen. But we have to use the material we have, not the stuff we'd like to have. Some dispassionate Jew or Greek writing a letter to a learned friend describing how these ridiculous Christians came into being drawing on eye-witness source material and using reasoned historical analysis would be great, but we don't have such a letter. Until we do, we have to use what we have - warts, nonsense and all.

Quote:
Since the model for the Jesus stories was an actual Jesus from Nazareth, the authors of the Gospels had a lot of explaining to do. If the scuttlebutt was that Jesus was from Nazareth, the evangelists had to deal with it.

Well, maybe. But if so, what difference does it make? I can come up with a lot of theories as to where the original authors of the gospels got their ideas.

Yes, you can. But some of them are going to fit the evidence better than others. Where this one fits the evidence better is in the fact that the so-called prophecy about the Messiah being a "Nazarene" sticks out in two ways: (i) there is no such prophecy and (ii) the vague reference to "prophets" (plural) that introduces it. Clearly something odd is going on here. If we then look at the role that Nazareth plays in the rest of the narrative we start to get an idea of what is happening - Jesus' Nazareth origin was a stumbling block to early Christianity and it wasn't one they could simply ignore. Thus the invented "prophecy".

The idea that this is a bungled interpretation of the passage in Judges 13, on the other hand, doesn't explain the evidence as well. Firstly, that's not a Messianic prophecy and was never regarded as such and, secondly, introducing Nazareth on the basis of that misreading simply created far more problems that it was worth.

Quote:
I have suspected that there may have been one or more Jesuses around whom the myths coalesced. I just don't think that the evidence, which is so polluted with absurd assertions about Jesus of Nazareth, are particularly trustworthy.

Why are you thinking that in order to accept that there was an historical man behind the stories you have to also accept that the sources are "trustworthy"? I don't consider them "trustworthy" at all - they are even less "trustworthy" than most ancient sources due to their highly mystical and polemical nature. But you don't have to consider them "trustworthy" to utilise them. Quite the opposite in fact; you need to handle them with extreme scepticism and constantly ask "why are they saying that?"

Quote:
The problem I have with your theory is that if there was a Jesus of Nazareth about whom the Gospels were written, and there was a lot of rumor, innuendo, and hearsay about that Jesus, at least some of it would have to be that he didn't really do any magic tricks and he certainly didn't rise from the dead. There would be a lot more to explain away than that he came from a hick town in Galillee.

And so its hardly surprising that this is precisely what we do find. Throughout the gospels we find their writers making asides or inserting stories which seem to be there purely to counter precisely these kinds of attacks on Christianity. The villains of the piece are consistently the Pharisees and "the Scribes and leaders of the people", though by the time we get to John this has been simplified to "the Jews" (as though Jesus and his lads were Spaniards or something). This chorus of critics accuse Jesus of using demonic power to cast out demons, they say he hasn't got the authority to heal by forgiving sins and they say he's a fraud and a madman.

Whether there really were people saying these things to Jesus in his time or not (there probably were), we can be pretty sure that there were people saying these things in the time that the gospels were being written and that these episodes are included as answers to these criticisms. These criticisms of the Notzri (the "Nazarenes" - there's that Nazareth place again) continued in Judaism down the centuries, with Jesus condemned as a madman, a sorcerer and a fraud.

As for whether he could actually have done any "miracles" or whether these were all invented, if we look at them, most of them aren't terribly impressive. They are your typical faith healer stuff and you'll find all kinds of similar "miracles" at revival meetings any day of the week. James Randi has done some excellent research on how a combination of psychosomtic symptoms and plain old religious hysteria can account for all kinds of "miracles". And since people around here seem to like stuff by Richard Carrier, he's written a good essay on how easy it was to be regarded as a miracle worker in the ancient world.

Quote:
As to evidence turning up, one could have easily said 100 years ago that we've got all the evidence we're ever going to see about Jesus of Nazareth. And that one would be wrong, missing out on the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Nag Hammadi library, The Gospel of Thomas, the recent Jesus Grave fiasco, and the Gospel of Judas. Maybe something else will turn up.

I hope so. Though out of that list we don't see any First Century material apart from some of the DSS texts. Things like the Gospel of Judas are interesting, but they are about as useful when it comes to knowing about what was happening in the First Century as a set of American Civil War letters forged last week are for learning about the American Civil War. And the "Jesus Tomb" thing was useful only for comedy value.

Quote:
In the meantime, I don't particularly care if there was a Jesus of Nazareth who was the model for the hero of the Gospels. It's hard to see why debunking the Jesus Myth hypothesis is any easier than debunking the Jesus Actually Existed theory. The correct answer is "(e) It cannot be determined from the information given."

"Cannot be determined with any degree of certainty from the information given" would be more accurate. And that's usually how it goes in the study of ancient history.

There's a similar debate in early medieval history about the existence of "King Arthur". We have a few dubious references to an historical Arthur, but none of them are contemporary and all of them have problems. Then we have later legends which are full of obvious nonsense, complete with magic swords, dragons and headless green giants and, finally, a promise that Arthur will return from the dead.

So is there a Fifth or Sixth Century historical warlord behind all this? The answer most historians give is "Probably yes". How much we can say we can reasonably know about him is another thing entirely (though some of the kookier amateur theorists would have you believe they can tell you his shoe size, favourite colour and taste in ice cream).

Interestingly, what we don't have is an "Arthur Mythist" hypothesis, with people vehemently arguing against the idea that any sort of historical Arthur ever existed. It would be easy to maintain such a position - far easier, in fact, than it is with Jesus. I suspect that the reason there are "Jesus Mythicists" but no "Arthur Mythicists" is less to do with any objective analysis of history and more to do with anti-Christian ideological axes in need of grinding.

I learned long ago that historical analysis driven by any ideology always results in junk history. And that's even in cases, such as this one, where I share the ideology in question.

The "Wise Old Atheist" says: They decided to invent a god and came up with one who looked like a peasant preacher from Galilee?! Were they on crack?

rationalfriend
User is offlineOffline
I agree that it's not really

I agree that it's not really relevant to the atheism/theism debate. My western civ professor gave us a disclaimer on day one. The further you go back in history the more fuzzy the facts are. Could it be that the story was inflated? My understanding is that during his life only a few thousand people even knew who he was. It was the story that made him a big deal and not his actual life.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahura Mazda

Ahura Mazda wrote:
JeremiahSmith wrote:

todangst wrote:

Here we go again with this "canonization council" nonsense.

Nothing in my response provides an acceptance of the claims of 'cannonization councils'.

Quote:

All of these studies show that the process was far from simple, took about two centuries and that no mythcial "canonization council" was involved.

Yes. We can file this under "Shit Sherlock, No"

Quote:

As is the idea that the Bible contains four gospels because there are four cardinal points of the compass. What "todangst" seems to be referring to is Irenaeus' passage on the four gospels in his Against Heresies (III.11.8 ).

I make what I am referring to abundantly clear, considering that I posted the quote.

Here's the quote from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

The saintly Bishop of Lyons, Irenæus (died 202), who had known Polycarp in Asia Minor, not only admits and quotes our four Gospels, but argues that they must be just four, no more and no less. He says: "It is not possible that the Gospels be either more or fewer than they are. For since there are four zones of the world in which we live, and four principal winds, while the Church is scattered throughout the world, and the pillar and ground of the Church is the Gospel and the Spirit of life; it is fitting that we should have four pillars, breathing out immortality on every side and vivifying our flesh. . . The living creatures are quadriform, and the Gospel is quadriform, as is also the course followed by the Lord" (Adv. Hær., III, xi, Cool

Quote:

How anyone could get the weird idea from this passage that there were four gospels chosen because there were four principle winds is a mystery.

How anyone could read my posts and come away with that conclusion is a larger mystery, unless of course they are so interested in violating the basic principle of charity that is required for civil adult discourse that they are simply looking to troll the boards.

The reference to the four zones does in fact speak to the rest of the passage and the 'reasoning' behind it.

So your assessment of my post is in error.

Quote:

Analysis based on that kind of boneheaded misunderstanding of the source material is always going to end up in total nonsense.

I agree that your miseading of my posts is fucking moronic. You're doing little more than trolling here, and you're being warned at this point.

Quote:

And now "todangst" has added this:

You're quite lost already, you should quit while you're behind...

todangst wrote:
Not quite. We don't have any record of the reasoning of such councils and why they ruled out Thomas, Philip, Peter, Ebionites, Hebrews, Nazarenes, James, Judas, Mary, Mary Mag. (yes, those too) . It was a rationalization given after the fact by Irenaeus, a Christian Bishop of Lyon in 180AD.

Quote:

If this was a "rationalization given after the fact" then this means we not only have non-existent fantasy "Councils" deciding on the Canon, but we have them doing so before 180 AD!!

One more time: Nothing in my post affirms the existence of such councils.  

You have a serious reading comprehension problem. Tbe actual point here is that this is a rationaliztion after the fact vis-a-vis the matter of there being 'four gospels' being already decided in the eyes of Iraneus; Irenæus is not holding that this was the grounds for anyone making any 'original decision' about the gospels.

Please stop replying to my post until you get a new pair of glasses. You're post is a troll post, and I don't look forward to dealing with more trolling, particuraly when it's based on your inability to even read a post accurately.

Ahura Mazda
Ahura Mazda's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:

todangst wrote:

Quote:

All of these studies show that the process was far from simple, took about two centuries and that no mythcial "canonization council" was involved.

Yes. We can file this under "Shit Sherlock, No"

Yes. Please inform those here who keep referring to these non-existent "canonization councils".

[mod edit - I'll do so in your absence. - Todangst]

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Midrash Shmidrash, it's still wrong

I'll admit.  I don't know from Midrashim.  Maybe in the original Mark is an excellent brilliantly written midrash.  Maybe it's a clever limerick in the original.  But in translation, accessible to me, it looks like a failed attempt at telling a story and relating it to the Hebrew biblical tradition. 

Maybe my approach to Mark is like reading E.E. Cummings and Walt Whitman as if their works were a newspaper article.  Maybe if I were familiar with the literary form I might be less likely to consider it crap.  But whether it is beautiful poetry or just error filled crap, what it is not is any reliable resource on which to formulate an opinion on the historical existence of Jesus of Nazareth.

The way I look at it--and it's way too unimportant for me to waste much time on--is that Mark was full of blunders that Matthew and Luke tried to correct as they cribbed most of their gospels from them.

This is my whole problem with the Bible and the Qu'ran for that matter.  In arguing with believers there is a double standard. In order to accept the teachings of those books, a superficial acquaintance with a short summary is all that is required.  But to reject them as unreliable, you have to read them in the original and be familiar with the literary forms, the allusions, and the traditions of the time.  Nonsense.  If these  books had been inspired by an omniscient and all-powerful god, they'd be good enough to hold up under translation.  

Now I feel like I'm seeing the same double standard again.  I shouldn't criticize Mark for misquoting earlier scripture and not making any sense because it's not narrative but some literary form called a midrash in which people try to wring meaning out of incomprehensible bits of scripture. 

Maybe I don't understand what they are, but what they're not.  They're not a reliable narrative allowing me to formulate an opinion as to whether their protagonist was based on a real person. 

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
You're right about one thing

There are not "four" sources.  You are correct.  It's easy to fall into that trap, and I did.  There is one source for most of the three synoptic gospels.  There's another source that turned out to be John.  And I guess there's Thomas.  That still doesn't add up to four.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote: I'll

Thandarr wrote:

I'll admit. I don't know from Midrashim. Maybe in the original Mark is an excellent brilliantly written midrash. Maybe it's a clever limerick in the original. But in translation, accessible to me, it looks like a failed attempt at telling a story and relating it to the Hebrew biblical tradition.

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree, I just feel that the Markian author displays a talent for writing, i.e. his use of pericopes.

Quote:

Maybe my approach to Mark is like reading E.E. Cummings and Walt Whitman as if their works were a newspaper article. Maybe if I were familiar with the literary form I might be less likely to consider it crap.

Yes, good analysis of the situation.

Quote:

But whether it is beautiful poetry or just error filled crap, what it is not is any reliable resource on which to formulate an opinion on the historical existence of Jesus of Nazareth.

lol. Well, agreed. Yes, in fact, a very well written poetic masterpiece would actually undermine the likelihood of it being a historical document, right? I mean, the real world doesn't fit into neat stanzas.

Quote:

The way I look at it--and it's way too unimportant for me to waste much time on--is that Mark was full of blunders that Matthew and Luke tried to correct as they cribbed most of their gospels from them.

Well, Ok, this is one valid way to see it. But I find the Matthew author to be a bigger creator of blunders.

Quote:

This is my whole problem with the Bible and the Qu'ran for that matter. In arguing with believers there is a double standard. In order to accept the teachings of those books, a superficial acquaintance with a short summary is all that is required. But to reject them as unreliable, you have to read them in the original and be familiar with the literary forms, the allusions, and the traditions of the time.

Excellent point. They don't turn away potential believers for not having read their bible.

Quote:

Nonsense. If these books had been inspired by an omniscient and all-powerful god, they'd be good enough to hold up under translation.

Indeed. But to me, once you make this point, you have to go even further and agree with  Thomas Paine that no god would use any book at all, seeing  as a 'god' using a book would be akin to the president of Verizon using tin cans and string to call the hospital during a heart attack.

Quote:

Now I feel like I'm seeing the same double standard again. I shouldn't criticize Mark for misquoting earlier scripture and not making any sense because it's not narrative but some literary form called a midrash in which people try to wring meaning out of incomprehensible bits of scripture.

Maybe I don't understand what they are, but what they're not. They're not a reliable narrative allowing me to formulate an opinion as to whether their protagonist was based on a real person.

Well, I agree here. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote: There are

Thandarr wrote:
There are not "four" sources. You are correct. It's easy to fall into that trap, and I did. There is one source for most of the three synoptic gospels. There's another source that turned out to be John. And I guess there's Thomas. That still doesn't add up to four.

Hard to say how many there are or what their real nature is... For example,  the Luke author appears to rely on Josephus for a great deal, but Josephus never reveals any real knowledge of any 'Jesus the Christ" even if we accept the Testimonium, verbatim, as completely true.  So he's relying on information that in turn does not rely on anything concerning "Jesus the Christ".

Then there's Q, or Quelle. It's simply assumed that these are sayings of Jesus, but if so, how on earth were they lost to history while the Gospels that were based on them survived? This seems backwards, doesn't it? Like saving the bank slip that your money comes in, and tossing away the cash.

From this alone it seems likely that Quelle is either hearsay, or, if ever written, the sayings of Cynic philosophers with no relation to Jesus the Christ.

I'd love to see a list of all the possible sources, their provenance, and their possible access to 'history'.

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Not that I'm convinced or anything, but

Not that I'm convinced or anything, but I do think it's strange that this exchange of postings has been more effective than anything any Christian has told me yet in making me think there just may have actually been a historical Jesus of Nazareth.  If I may damn with faint praise, this is a better argument for his existence as a historical figure than anything Lee Strobel has written.

Still, I think the evidence is pretty weak.  I still think the best answer is
"I don't know."  But it may be worth looking at some more.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote: Not that

Thandarr wrote:

Not that I'm convinced or anything, but I do think it's strange that this exchange of postings has been more effective than anything any Christian has told me yet in making me think there just may have actually been a historical Jesus of Nazareth.

What in this thread could have possibly given you that feeling? There isn't a scrap of evidence for a historical jesus. The only 'jesus' we have is in a set of 'four' gospels, all anonymous, all written decades after 'jesus' would have lived, and all filled with miraculous claims that somehow went unnoticed by the rest of earth. I don't see how you get 'there must be a historical Jesus" from that!

Quote:

If I may damn with faint praise, this is a better argument for his existence as a historical figure than anything Lee Strobel has written.

Do you really take Strobel seriously?

Quote:

Still, I think the evidence is pretty weak. I still think the best answer is I don't know." But it may be worth looking at some more.

Now that I can agree with. 

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst, unless I missed

Todangst, unless I missed it, I haven't seen a post where you refute the original claim of this thread. How could multiple independent (Mark, Q, Thomas) sources contain sayings with similar characteristics (refer to the beginning of the thread to examine characteristics of authentic sayings of Jesus).

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: To prove

Christos wrote:
To prove your claim Cassio, you would need to demonstrate where the authentic teaching of Jesus can be found in other religious traditions.

Here are some interesting parallels between Jesus and the Buddha, Buddhism being 500 years or so older than Christianity. I’m unsure if these are gospels verses are considered authentic though.

Mark 6:48: he went out to them walking on the lake.
Anguttara Nikaya 3:60: He walks upon the water without parting it, as if it were solid ground.

Mark 10:25: it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Jatakamala 5:5 & 15: Riches make a man greedy and so are like a caravan lurching down the road to hell

Matthew 6:20: Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Kuddakaptha 8:9 Let the wise man do righteousness; a treasure that others cannot share, which no thief can steal, a treasure which does not pass away.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: Todangst,

Christos wrote:

Todangst, unless I missed it, I haven't seen a post where you refute the original claim of this thread. How could multiple independent (Mark, Q, Thomas) sources contain sayings with similar characteristics (refer to the beginning of the thread to examine characteristics of authentic sayings of Jesus).

How are they independent?

Thomas and Mark could have relied on Q.

Thomas is not even accepted as a gospel, so I don't see how Thomas can be both a recording of Jesus and yet not worthy of being a gospel. Can you?

Q need not be a set of sayings of Jesus at all. 

By the way, I have a question for you. Let's say that the Markian or Lukian author was privy to the sayings of Jesus the Christ. Why is it that we have Mark, or Luke, and not the sayings that these writer relied on?  Wouldn't that be like holding onto the the bank envelope your money  comes in, and tossing away the cash?

Let's say you are trying to prove a case. You have evidence, and a report you've written upon it. Which do you value more?

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
They might have been making excuses for someone

The argument that gave me that feeling is that there is so much in the Gospels that seems to be designed to rebut unfavorable scuttlebutt about Jesus that there may have actually been a Jesus for whom the Gospelers had to make an excuse.  That does make some sense.  I'm not convinced.

Of course I don't take Lee Strobel seriously.  A Christian recommended that I read Strobel's Case for Christ and Case for God and one or two others.  I did.  I marked them up pretty bad.  They are full of holes, ranging from his selection of "experts" to his questions that imply facts not in evidence, to the humorous "it's even better than that" responses he gets from his experts.  I use Lee Strobel here as the typical prototype apologist.

My position on all this remains I don't know.  The only change is that I now think the question is slightly more worth bothering with than I did when we started this discussion.

The human brain demands answers, and when there is no answer the brain makes one up.  I fight that impulse as much as I can.  I try not to draw any conclusions without evidence, recognizing that I am usually going to be condemned to saying I don't know.  But I don't know is the right answer sometimes.  The real question is whether further investigation is warranted. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote: The

Thandarr wrote:

The argument that gave me that feeling is that there is so much in the Gospels that seems to be designed to rebut unfavorable scuttlebutt about Jesus that there may have actually been a Jesus for whom the Gospelers had to make an excuse. That does make some sense. I'm not convinced.

I'm impressed that you are so open minded. I don't see the existence of an apologetic response as evidence or existence, after all you can find the same process in Islam.

Quote:

Of course I don't take Lee Strobel seriously. A Christian recommended that I read Strobel's Case for Christ and Case for God and one or two others. I did. I marked them up pretty bad. They are full of holes, ranging from his selection of "experts" to his questions that imply facts not in evidence, to the humorous "it's even better than that" responses he gets from his experts. I use Lee Strobel here as the typical prototype apologist.

Ok, I was surprised to see you mention him, seeing as you seem so far above his level of discourse. Thanks for explaining. 

Quote:

My position on all this remains I don't know. The only change is that I now think the question is slightly more worth bothering with than I did when we started this discussion. 

The human brain demands answers, and when there is no answer the brain makes one up.

Agreed! Man is a meaning maker.... there will be meaning, even if the 'data stream' is a set of random dots.

Quote:

I fight that impulse as much as I can. I try not to draw any conclusions without evidence, recognizing that I am usually going to be condemned to saying I don't know. But I don't know is the right answer sometimes. The real question is whether further investigation is warranted.

I'd like to see you read Rook Hawkin's book, he's working on it now, and he and I review his chapters together. Your responses would be interesting.  

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
I recently read an article

I recently read an article by Richard Carrier about the Resurrection. Called "Was Christianity Too Improbable to Be False?", it is a reply to the apologist JP Holding, who argued that certain factors would have made Christianity's spread unlikely or impossible without irrefutable evidence of the Resurrection and that therefore the Resurrection was fact. Carrier's reply is a long, but worthwhile, debunking of Holding's points, and one of the main thrusts of the article is that Holding has misrepresented the facts regarding the social and cultural behavior of the people Christianity actually converted. Carrier's article is not a mythicist work; the mythicists are mentioned, but for the sake of argument, Carrier assumes the existence of a historical Jesus, and I'm not sure if at the time of writing Carrier had made his "conversion" to mythicism. That said, it's still an excellent article, describing the actual society Christianity developed in and the factors that gave the early Christians such an appealing religion.

Opponents of the mythicist position frequently bring up certain elements of the Christ story that, they insist, are so embarrassing that no one would have made up. But I realized, reading through "WCTITBF", that some of the "embarrassing" elements brought up by the non-mythicists are remarkably similar to Holding's. While the article isn't meant to support mythicism, many of the points he makes about the people who originated Christianity work quite well to provide explanations for the embarrassing elements. Quite simply, the early Christians wouldn't have found these things embarrassing.

Let's take a look at Ahura Mazda's signature: "The 'Wise Old Atheist' says: They decided to invent a god and came up with one who looked like a peasant preacher from Galilee?! Were they on crack?" It's a good question. Holding, too, asked something similar: who would believe in a low-class person becoming a god? But "WCTITBF" continually makes a point that Mazda and Holding before him have forgotten: the early Christians predominantly came not from the scholarly elite or upper-class priests, but from the disaffected lower class.

First, Galilee was not as embarrassing a background as some have made it out to be. Carrier describes the situation with Galilee in chapter 2 of his article, he finds that, within the first hundred years of Christianity, the only disdain for Galilee comes from the Gospel of John! Josephus never once mentions or even implies that Galilee was a region looked down upon, even though it is mentioned over 150 times in his work. On the contrary, Josephus mentions how Galilee was the site of lavish building projects, how the region managed to produce a substantial sum for tribute, and even how Emperor Tiberius had a city named for him built in Galilee. There were even a sect of Galilean rabbis and a Jewish scholar from the area. The example of disdain from the Gospel of John is the one example of this sort of elitism, and in the context of the greater social issues of the day, the reason for the example becomes clear. Early Christianity spread by being anti-elitist; instead of appealing to the scholars, it appealed to the working class, those who had had enough of the corruption of the Roman governors and the pagan priests and wanted something better. The author of the Gospel of John is using the anti-elitist feelings of the converts to make a point, that the elites were wrong in what they said about Jesus. So, we can see that the early Christians would probably not have found it embarrassing for Christ to have come from Galilee. The scholars and elites might have thought so, but the Christians wouldn't have cared about them. This same argument can be applied to all the lower-class elements of Jesus' story. The upper class might have snubbed their noses at worshipping some hick woodworker. But the lower-class folk, the people Christianity was marketed to, wouldn't have cared: as Carrier points out, "Obviously, tradesmen, middlemen, and the lower classes didn't look down their noses at themselves." Indeed, the story of Jesus' low-class origins may even have helped; members of the lower class who were tired of worshipping deified Roman emperors and pagan gods who only seemed to make the priests richer would have been intrigued by the idea of a deity of was "one of them". It's the ultimate "local boy makes good" story.

As Carrier points out in chapter 11, one of the themes of the Gospel of Mark is that "the least shall be first". He descibes multiple instances of Mark's reversing expectations: "James and John, who ask to sit at the right and left of Jesus in his glory (10:35-40), are replaced by two thieves at his crucifixion (15:27); Simon Peter, Christ's right-hand man who was told he had to 'deny himself and take up his cross and follow' (8:34), is replaced by Simon of Cyrene (a foreigner, the exact opposite of a disciple--and from the opposite side of Egypt no less, a Jewish symbol of death) when it comes time to truly bear that cross (15:21); instead of his family as would be expected, his enemies come to bury Jesus (15:43); even Pilate's expectation that Jesus should still be alive is confounded (15:44); and contrary to all expectation, Christ's own people, the Jews, mock their own savior (15:29-32), while it is a Gentile officer of Rome who recognizes his divinity (15:39)." It has been suggested that Mark is actually an allegory, and that Christians would be instructed in the allegorical meaning of the work once they had been indoctrinated enough into the faith. (Since we know Luke and Matthew drew from Mark in their works, one could perhaps argue that a mythical Jesus got his biography as later Christians started interpreting the allegory as history.) If Mark really were writing an allegory from scratch, as opposed to allegorizing a historical person's life, then Jesus' origins make even more sense; the expectation of a deity being born in glory instead being reversed to show him being born in a run-of-the-mill area as the son of a carpenter. But Mark's use of allegory isn't necessary to rebut the embarrassment argument here. Even with no "expectation reversal" motif, it would still make sense for Jesus to have been depicted as a member of the lower class, since that's the class early Christianity appealed to, and was marketed to, most.

Carrier's article excellently illustrates the actual conditions of the origins of Christianity, and the sort of people it appealed to most. With all this historical information in mind, we can have an answer to Mazda's signature. Q: "Who would invent a god who looked like a peasant preacher from Galilee?" A: "Peasants."

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Markian author was

The Markian author was clearly comparing/basing the story of Jesus on Moses, I'd hardly call that an embarrassing template for Jews, would you?!

Smiling  

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: The

todangst wrote:

The Markian author was clearly comparing/basing the story of Jesus on Moses, I'd hardly call that an embarrassing template for Jews, would you?!

Smiling

And David was a shepherd boy. Obviously, inauspicious origins were no detriment to accepting great figures, and it gives Mark and his cohorts plenty of mythology to build off of.

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Book reading

I'm always happy to read books, [http://www.myspace.com/thandarr for some examples] although I'm almost completely undependable when it comes to any kind of schedule. Weird job.

Speaking of books, supposedly I'm co-writing one. My brother used to be a Christian, but he got better. He read the Bible a lot when he was a Christian. He now believes that you could debunk the bible with nothing but the internal inconsistencies of the Bible itself. He wants me to help him write a book, because although he has the material, he thinks I have a better writing style and a better handle on organization. You can see how bad he must be. He says he's ready to go "Michael Moore" on his former co-religionists. I've found that the most serious objectors to Christianity are those who have actually experienced it firsthand. We were brought up with Christianity, but I never let it bother me much. He did. He took it real seriously. I'm glad to help him, but I've read just about all the bible I want to.

Seriously, we've been "working" on this book at a rate that, if it continues, we ought to have a first draft in about seven hundred years.

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: How are

todangst wrote:

How are they independent?

Thomas and Mark could have relied on Q.

Thomas is not even accepted as a gospel, so I don't see how Thomas can be both a recording of Jesus and yet not worthy of being a gospel. Can you?

Q need not be a set of sayings of Jesus at all.

Thomas and Mark did not rely on Q. You should try adding some evidence before making a huge claim like that.

So what if Thomas isn't accepted as a gospel. You must really not know your history, because the Gospel of Thomas was not discovered until 1948. 

I'm not sure if I understand your last question. Are you asking why we don't have Q or another sayings text?

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
  The "Jesus Seminar" is a

The "Jesus Seminar" is a very small group of extremely liberal teachers, possibly Masons (with an agenda to destroy traditional faith) and represent a very fringe group in America. They have been criticized by several scholars in America and Europe for their unfounded methodologies. European scholars think they are a joke. Even the Society of Biblical Literature has completely rejected their totally unwarranted hypotheses. At least, however, most, if not all, fellows of the JS admit to the historicity of Christ. His historicity is not even disputed today except by a very small and insignificant group of atheists, who are not even Jesus historians.I find it interesting that atheists are so desperate to discredit Jesus. By doing this, they only show how important Jesus is for Christian theism. Jesus and God are intertwined, and the atheist knows this. Therefore, the atheist is desperate to dismiss His existance.The Five Gospels theory is refuted on multiple websites. Here is one:http://www.apologeticsinfo.org/papers/fivegospels.htmlJewish scholar. Jacob Nousner (not sure on last name spelling) said that the JS is the biggest scholastic fraud since Piltdown man. 

ON THE HISTORICAL JESUS

http://www.christiancadre.org/ topics/historicaljesus.html

http://www.bede.org.uk/price8.htm

http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/jesusexisthub.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =15vgqDurL6U

The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator -- Louis Pasteur

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Theandar,   I have the

Theandar,

I have the perfect books for your skepticism on the historical Christ.

The Historical Reliability of the Gospels, by Craig Blomberg

Jesus Under Fire, by Moreland

The Historical Jesus, by Habermas.

Also, check the links I gave above.

Chapter 7 of "Jesus Under Fire," has a section with Yale historian Edwin Yamauchi where he says that there is more evidence for Jesus' existance, then there is for the founder of any other religion.

This whole modern attack on Christ is nothing but the presence and forces of the Antichrist. All of this will become personified in the Antichrist himself. He will be about 30 years old when he takes the stage on human history, according to the Church Fathers. And most of the world will love him. He will be very charismatic and appealing to people. He'll let everyone believe what they want, as long as they bow before him.

The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator -- Louis Pasteur

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think Lee Strobel has

I think Lee Strobel has done a wonderful job. Infact, The Case for Christ, comes out as a movie on DVD September 11. I think that's today.

http://www.strobelfilms.com/

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote: I think

Apotheon wrote:

I think Lee Strobel has done a wonderful job. Infact, The Case for Christ, comes out as a movie on DVD September 11. I think that's today.

http://www.strobelfilms.com/

It figures that you like Strobel - you tend to only be intreested in one side of the story (the side that agrees with you).

I also find it ironic that his religious propaganda will be released on the anniversary of a huge political propaganda coup. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
   Several scholars are

Several scholars are now rising to take a stand against all the lies, deceit and false propaganda that is running rampant on atheist internet sites. Go to the scholars, not the internet for the truth about the historical Christ. The internet is full of non-historians and lies.

Lee Strobel has consulted with the worlds leading scholars on the historical Jesus topic. Specifically, the atheist claim that Christianity borrowed from paganism. THESE ARE ALL LIES. And these scholars prove it. Read his new book :

The Case for the Real Jesus.

http://www.leestrobel.com/info_TCFTRJ.php

It deals specifically with the pagan "copy-cat" theory. And shreads it.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote: Read his

Apotheon wrote:
Read his new book :

The Case for the Real Jesus.

LOL!!

This book contradicts his other book, The Case for Christ.

Which is it: "Jesus the christ" or "Jesus the historical person"?

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Having read this thread

Having read this thread through, I'm confused why it ended the way it did, with a member banned and his last post deleted. As far as I can tell, this whole thing is niggling over whether an historical, non-supernatural Jesus existed based on available texts (i.e. whether the references can be considered independent, and whether sayings suggest a single source, and whether that source was Jesus). The banned member, who argued in favor of a mediocre, apocalyptically-fixated Jesus, doesn't exhibit any of the hallmarks of a troll, actually seeming to make an effort to present well-reasoned arguments. Comparing this to posts by Kabane52, or Apotheon, it's not apparent to me why the discussion had to be shut down.

Euthymius
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Tell the Church Fathers

Tell the Church Fathers Jesus didn't exist lol. See where that gets you.

Read the Church Fathers. Read the primary source material in the originals. Learn Greek, Latin, Armenian, Coptic and Syriac.

CHURCH FATHERS

Cursus Patrologiae Completus , compiled by Migne

Latin series: 220 volumes

Greek Fathers: about 160 volumes

Corpus Scriptorum Ecclesiasticorum Latinorum (an updated form of the Migne series)

Acts of Ancient Ecumenical Councils

Sacrorum Conciliorum Nova et Amplissima Collectio, edited by Mansi.

Acta Conciliorum Oecumenicorum, edited by Schwartz.

Armenian, Syriac and Coptic Writers:

Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium  ( about 500 volumes). 

Patrologia Orientalis (about 50 volumes).

Menaion, 

Synaxarion (or Synaxaria in the plural).

The Theodosian Code [c. 438], edited by Theodor Mommsen.

The Code of Justinian [c. 550], edited in Berlin in the Corpus Iuris Civilis, as well as certain supplemental laws known in Latin as Novellae.

English: Anti-Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (38 volumes)

There are no atheists in fox holes

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Euthymius wrote:  Tell

Euthymius wrote:

Appeal from authority.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Euthymius wrote:

Euthymius wrote:

I would but they're all fuckin' dead.

Euthymius, did any of these Church Fathers actually meet Jesus, or know anyone who met Jesus, or anything which would make their opinion on the matter worth more than any of the other sources who talk about Jesus and have been dealt with before?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Another dimwitted claim by

Another dimwitted claim by an unbeliever. Do you even have a fucking clue what historical evidence is? Can you even explain to us what evidence is in general? Can you please tell us what the criteria is for determining historical evidence, and what isn't historical evidence? 

The use of a greco-roman biography to "prove" that Jesus existed, is like using a greco-roman biography to "prove" that Jesus existed. 

If you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, save yourself the embarrassment, and don't try to come off as you do. 

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Another

theidiot wrote:

Another dimwitted claim by an unbeliever. Do you even have a fucking clue what historical evidence is? [...]

How To Use The Quote Function | The Rational Response Squad

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Another

theidiot wrote:

Another dimwitted claim by an unbeliever. Do you even have a fucking clue what historical evidence is? Can you even explain to us what evidence is in general? Can you please tell us what the criteria is for determining historical evidence, and what isn't historical evidence? 

The use of a greco-roman biography to "prove" that Jesus existed, is like using a greco-roman biography to "prove" that Jesus existed. 

If you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, save yourself the embarrassment, and don't try to come off as you do. 

If only you had that Greco-Roman biography instead of the fiction of the Gospels...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: If only you

jcgadfly wrote:
If only you had that Greco-Roman biography instead of the fiction of the Gospels...

Uhm, I suggest you actually learn a bit about what you're talking about rather than repeating whatever you hear Hawkins claim. 

Please tell me what you think a biography written in the greco-roman world about a Jewish rabbi perceived as the messiah would look like, that the Gospels do not resemble? Since you choose to claim they are "fictions" and not a biography written in the greco-roman world. 

(I went over this in length in my other thread to Hawkins, and it's going on a month now, and he has yet to respond. )

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote:I I don't

Thandarr wrote:

I I don't understand the Jesus Myth to categorically deny the existence of a Jew named Yehsua--anglicized as Jesus.  

Actually this is exactly what they deny. The above is exactly what the vast majority of the historical community agree with (excluding fundies and mythicist). The entire mythicist position is built on this denial, if it weren't so than they wouldn't be mythicist, but individuals agreeing with the historical consensus. 

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Ahura Mazda wrote:todangst

Ahura Mazda wrote:

[mod edit - I'll do so in your absence. - Todangst]

Well, it looks like an overzealous mod banned Ahura Mazda from the site, and how disgusting. Ahura Mazda posts were far more commendable than anything I've seen on this forum from theist and atheist alike. And it would have been a real pleasure to hear him post further, and what a disgrace that he was banned. You labeled him a troll because of his use of the word bonehead: "that kind of boneheaded misunderstanding of the source material.."? WTF?

The only reason I can perceive that he was banned is because his ideas and thoughts posed a threat to Hawkins and bunch, and I cannot get my head around any other reason beyond this. And if this is what mods on this forum do, than this surely is not the rational response squad, but a dogma squad, that bans individuals who pose a threat to their established dogmas. 

I've seen plenty of trolls, in fact I have even exhibited troll like behavior on a number of occasions, but Ahura Mazda was not a troll, nor were his post out of line. The individual/s who banned him should provide him an apology, and reinstate his account. 

(I'll probably be banned for posting this, but I don't really care. When I see a clear case of injustice I'm going to stand up for it, regardless of the consequences.)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:jcgadfly

theidiot wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

Uhm, I suggest you actually learn a bit about what you're talking about rather than repeating whatever you hear Hawkins claim. 

Please tell me what you think a biography written in the greco-roman world about a Jewish rabbi perceived as the messiah would look like, that the Gospels do not resemble? Since you choose to claim they are "fictions" and not a biography written in the greco-roman world. 

(I went over this in length in my other thread to Hawkins, and it's going on a month now, and he has yet to respond. )

The gospels are not the biography of a Rabbi claiming to be the messiah. It's an amalgamation of tales about a character calling himself the son of God.

You can't have a biography of a fictional character and call it more than fiction - the son of God is a fictional character - just like his dad.

Just because they were written in a greco-roman style and were the backstory of a fictional character does not make them historical biographies.

Actually, the ball's in your court - what do you have that makes the gospels non fiction (other than the writers putting in "This is nonfiction" in some form in the text)? I mean the Odyssey was written in a popular Greek style and listed some actual geographic places - by your logic, that makes Odysseus a real person.

— George Carlin

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: When I see

theidiot wrote:

When I see a clear case of injustice I'm going to stand up for it, regardless of the consequences.

If people got banned for being pompous you'd be out for sure.

What an utter tit you are.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Actually, the ball's

Quote:
Actually, the ball's in your court - what do you have that makes the gospels non fiction (other than the writers putting in "This is nonfiction" in some form in the text)? I mean the Odyssey was written in a popular Greek style and listed some actual geographic places - by your logic, that makes Odysseus a real person.

This has been gone over several times in the course of this thread, and apparently you and others keep missing it. And I think I understand the dilemma, and that is that most of you don't have a clue as to what distinguishes modern biographies from premodern biographies, particularly those written in the Greco-Roman world. 

jcgadfly wrote:

The gospels are not the biography of a Rabbi claiming to be the messiah. It's an amalgamation of tales about a character calling himself the son of God.

Let's me ask you a question, if a greco roman biography was written about a rabbi who was perceived as the messiah would we expect to find some tales of his life mirroring that of let's say Moses, i.e. the slaying of the innocent, the escape from Pharaoh? 

And I asked you this question before, but you didn't answer it then, so I'm going to ask it again: If there was an actual rabbi named Jesus who was perceived as the messiah, how would his greco-roman biography be written differently than the Gospels?

You shouldn't feel embarrassed to admit you don't have enough knowledge of pre-modern history to say much on the subject of Greco-Roman biographies. It's less embarrassing to admit this, than continuing on pretending like you have a clue. 

Quote:
You can't have a biography of a fictional character and call it more than fiction - the son of God is a fictional character - just like his dad.

Wide spread mythicist delusions allow this mode of thinking to be perceived as true. I would be really persuaded by mythicist if it were true that the Mark used used Homer's stories about Odysseus as a model, and that according to Hawkins that "Jesus is Odysseus." But it requires that I sacrifice my intelligence and accepts delusions as truth to believe that Jesus eating food with his disciples during the passover, is a plagiarism of Odysseus eating with his crewmen, or that Romulus hiding in the bushes, has an "uncanny" similarity to the disciples inability to recognize the man in Luke's Emmaus narrative.  

I would be persuaded by the mythicist position if all those words that are deemed as authentic of the historical Jesus were shown to be copy and paste of the religious thoughts of others, and that they were not unique to Jesus, or his spin, if it could be shown that go the second mile, when the Angaria demanded one mile, was spoken by someone else, and etc....

But rather what one finds is tripe, masquerading as diamonds. Romulus and Jesus, tripe. Jesus and Odysseus, tripe, and yet these are two arguments for copy and paste made by Hawkins, the grand daddy of the mythicist position on the RRS. I dare any individual here to take this argument up again here. I'll enjoy embarrassingly ripping them up with ease. Any takers?

When I read the mythicist argument it sounds very similar to the logic one find among creationist, and bible-code believers, 9/11 conspiracy theorist.  Their delusion seem apparent to everyone else but them. I want cure them of their delusions, but it's hard task when they are so entrenched in them.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot

theidiot wrote:

Quote:

This has been gone over several times in the course of this thread, and apparently you and others keep missing it. And I think I understand the dilemma, and that is that most of you don't have a clue as to what distinguishes modern biographies from premodern biographies, particularly those written in the Greco-Roman world. 

jcgadfly wrote:

Let's me ask you a question, if a greco roman biography was written about a rabbi who was perceived as the messiah would we expect to find some tales of his life mirroring that of let's say Moses, i.e. the slaying of the innocent, the escape from Pharaoh? 

And I asked you this question before, but you didn't answer it then, so I'm going to ask it again: If there was an actual rabbi named Jesus who was perceived as the messiah, how would his greco-roman biography be written differently than the Gospels?

You shouldn't feel embarrassed to admit you don't have enough knowledge of pre-modern history to say much on the subject of Greco-Roman biographies. It's less embarrassing to admit this, than continuing on pretending like you have a clue. 

Quote:

Wide spread mythicist delusions allow this mode of thinking to be perceived as true. I would be really persuaded by mythicist if it were true that the Mark used used Homer's stories about Odysseus as a model, and that according to Hawkins that "Jesus is Odysseus." But it requires that I sacrifice my intelligence and accepts delusions as truth to believe that Jesus eating food with his disciples during the passover, is a plagiarism of Odysseus eating with his crewmen, or that Romulus hiding in the bushes, has an "uncanny" similarity to the disciples inability to recognize the man in Luke's Emmaus narrative.  

I would be persuaded by the mythicist position if all those words that are deemed as authentic of the historical Jesus were shown to be copy and paste of the religious thoughts of others, and that they were not unique to Jesus, or his spin, if it could be shown that go the second mile, when the Angaria demanded one mile, was spoken by someone else, and etc....

But rather what one finds is tripe, masquerading as diamonds. Romulus and Jesus, tripe. Jesus and Odysseus, tripe, and yet these are two arguments for copy and paste made by Hawkins, the grand daddy of the mythicist position on the RRS. I dare any individual here to take this argument up again here. I'll enjoy embarrassingly ripping them up with ease. Any takers?

When I read the mythicist argument it sounds very similar to the logic one find among creationist, and bible-code believers, 9/11 conspiracy theorist.  Their delusion seem apparent to everyone else but them. I want cure them of their delusions, but it's hard task when they are so entrenched in them.

You don't get it - the gospels weren't written about a rabbi named Jesus. They were written about the son of Yahweh. John 20:31 makes this abundantly clear. The writers may have patterned the character after a real rabbi (possibly one named Yeshua) - that does not make the son of Yahweh character real. 

To answer your question a greco-roman biography could be fact checked - that makes it different from the gospels. If you're discussing a strictly stylistic view, no, it might not appear different in that case.

I never said Jesus is Odysseus - what I said is that Jesus (son of Yahweh) and his father were constructs if human imagination - just like any other god of mythology. If that construct has some human pattern it is based on that doesn't make the construct real. Unlike you, I don't sell human imagination so short.

— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You don't get it - the

Quote:
You don't get it - the gospels weren't written about a rabbi named Jesus. They were written about the son of Yahweh.

Uhm the gospels were written about a rabbi named Jesus, who was perceived as the Son of the God, as the Christ. The gospels were not written about a Jesus who was just a typical rabbi, but Jesus who was a rabbi perceived as the Christ. This is an important distinction, that you need to keep in mind. 

Quote:
The writers may have patterned the character after a real rabbi (possibly one named Yeshua) - that does not make the son of Yahweh character real.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with historical method more, because if you even had a passing understanding of it, you wouldn't have wrote this. Historians (excluding fundies) make a distinction between the Jesus of history, and the Jesus of the faith tradition. Whenever a historian is dealing with pre-modern biography he is going to have to make similar distinctions, such as fictional components and non-fictional components of a pre-modern biography.

When the historical consensus claims that Jesus was a historical person it is exactly the point that you have just mentioned, that there existed a rabbi named Yeshua, that the gospel writers patterned their biographical narrative off on, and that this is a far more probable explanation of the all the evidence we have on hand, than not. The criteria needed to claim Jesus existed in a historical sense, is just this. 

The Jesus myth hypothesis is counter to the consensus view, in that it's their view that the Gospels were not patterned after a real rabbi (possibly one named Yeshua) perceived as the messiah. 

A simple distinction between modern and premodern biographies, particularly of individuals of relative importance, is that modern biographies are written to tell what is, premodern biographies are written to tell what "what is" means, the meaning of a persons life is conveyed, and that the conveying of meaning trumps a purely literal account of his life. 

A historian dealing with premodern historical narratives and biographies reconstruct these accounts distinguishing components of meaning and deriving the source of that meanings to determine what is. This is why there is a distinction between the Jesus of the faith tradition (the Jesus of meaning) and the Jesus of History (the Jesus of what is)

Quote:
To answer your question a greco-roman biography could be fact checked - that makes it different from the gospels. 

Where do you get this rubbish from? When greco-roman historians freely invent speeches for historical persons, and admit to doing so, when pre-modern historians like Plutrach and Herodutus attempt to convey the meaning of persons life in their biographical narratives, facts are clearly not the holy grail as you make them out to be. 

I'll ask this question again from my previous post: If a greco roman biography was written about a rabbi who was perceived as the messiah would we expect to find some tales of his life mirroring that of let's say Moses, i.e. the slaying of the innocent, the escape from Pharaoh? 

Would we expect to find fictional components such as this in the biography, that are not facts?

Quote:
I never said Jesus is Odysseus

No, you didn't, and I didn't mention what I did, as a counter to what you did say about Odysseus and Jesus. And in reading your post again, it was perhaps not relevant to your post at all. But it's a typical claim made by mythicist on this forum, and I saw a place in my post to mention it, real quickly, and I did just that. 

Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: Conclusion:

Christos wrote:

Conclusion: The fact that these characteristics are present in multiple, independent sources (Mark, Q, Thomas, M, L, John) implies a single person to initiate these sayings. Given this information, it is rational beyond a reasonable doubt to consider Jesus to be a historical person.

How can you demonstrate that 1) These characteristics were not copied specifically to follow along with the character Jesus had in the other gospels, 2) the 'single person' who initiated these sayings wasn't lying or making it up, 3) these characteristics aren't just a coincidence, since as you said we are only looking at 18% of the bible in the first place.

It seems your argument aims more toward the integrity of the story, character, etc. but does not touch on whether or not it's true. These facts don't distinguish between a true story and a fiction story... nor do they guarantee the source of the information.

Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahura Mazda wrote:Christos

Ahura Mazda wrote:
Christos wrote:

Hey Carl Sagan, what part of "I am not a Christian," do you not understand? I'm not trying to prove the Jesus of the gospels. All I am saying is that there was a historical Jesus who was wrapped in miracles and Jewish history in the gospels.

Some people here need to write this out 1000 times until it sinks in:

"Arguing for an historical Jesus is NOT the same as arguing for the Jesus of the gospels."

How does this make sense? A moment ago you were arguing that characterisitics of jesus in the gospels pointed to his historicity... yet these characteristics are specifically in the bible and apply specifically to a jesus of the gospel, so I don't get it. It's like you are taking the character of indiana jones and trying say that based on 5 authors writing about him and his personality the same, prove that there was an original archeologist he was based on. Which I don't know if there was, but the characteristics of the character in the book have nothing to say about whether or not there was a true man they are based on, period. It just doesn't make sense

Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote:MattShizzle

Christos wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
Using the BuyBull to prove Jesus exists is like using Gone With the Wind to prove Scarlet O'Hara exists.

Sorry MattShizzle, but my proof went way over your head.  

Wrong, I beleive MattShizzle's argument went way over yours. Even if we grant that each of these authors was independently writing in their own shield from any of the other knowledge of the others writings, this does not prove there was a historical guy that really existed that they were all writing about. It lends some weight to the idea, but again, you said we are only talking about 18% of the bible, which pretty well throws that weight out the door because you are picking and choosing a subset to critique. Not to mention, alot of these characteristics are pretty generic and could easily come to mind to characterize any savior type of character you are writing about.