Jesus is a Myth Essays!

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus is a Myth Essays!

I'm looking for a few good writers to sit down and type up some decent-sized essays on why Jesus is a Myth. It doesn't have to be riddled with information, as long as it's true to your perspective. I do ask you back up some of your points that are not too well known.

This could be in any manner you deem fit as long as it can be traced to jesus Mythicism.

Snap to it! =)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I just spoke to our prize

I just spoke to our prize committee and it appears we have at least one copy of "The God Who Wasn't There" movie to throw at the best submission. Although we're not awarding one until we see some good stuff come our way.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woot! Thanks for the

Woot! Thanks for the motivation booster there Brian! =)

shayne26
shayne26's picture
User is offlineOffline
How long do we have?

How long do we have?

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course we want you to

Of course we want you to take your time. The best essays are going to be distributed in part in Myspace Bulletins for thousands to see. So this is a chance for your own recognition as writers and researchers, and also a chance for us Mythicists to be taken seriously. I've already posted some content here for all to see, Carriers "Hero Savior of Veitnam" is a good example of a short essay written about the Mythicist position. (Really, it's a part of a larger online novel) SO take your time but also be quick about it. =)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

shayne26
shayne26's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus is a myth

By definition, a myth is a traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the world view of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society. Since Yahweh fits this description, He therefore is a myth. Any offspring a myth would have would also have to be a myth. It follows that Jesus, if He is God and the offspring of a myth, He must be a myth as well.

You can send me the DVD.

Shayne

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Funnah. =P

Funnah. =P

shayne26
shayne26's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did I win?

Did I win?

Deathmunkee
User is offlineOffline
Submitted!

Submitted!

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go ahead and post it in

Go ahead and post it in here, brother. =)

Deathmunkee
User is offlineOffline
Even among other religions,

Even among other religions, Jesus Christ holds a respect all his own. He has been seen as a prophet, a messiah, a philosopher, and a trouble maker. Millions look to his story for guidance and actively put their trust in the bible as a record of his life and works. It doesn’t cross the mind of many whether Jesus ever lived, and most never feel the need to check the extra-biblical sources. When one searches for a historical Jesus, we find ourselves quite empty handed.
The time surrounding and including when Jesus is said to have lived has been called the most well documented time in history. Dozens of historians lived during the time commonly attributed to the life of Jesus (arguably 0-33 CE). The amount of documents concerning roman history during this time is staggering, the historian Livy alone composed 142 volumes. (S, Christ Conspiracy 49) Other such historians who lived during this time included Aulus Perseus, Columella, Dio Chrysostom, Justus of Tiberius, Livy, Lucanus, Lucius Florus, Petronius, Phaedrus, Philo Judaeus, Phlegon, Pliny the Elder, Plutarch, Pomponius Mela, Rufus Cartius, Quintillian, Quintus Curtius, Seneca, Silius Italicus, Statius Caelicius, Theon of Smyrna, Valerius Flaccus, and Valerius Maximus. (S. Suns of 378)
These historians cover between 59 BCE to 135 CE, 76 years total, yet they are completely silent in any respect towards the life of Jesus. One such historian, Philo Judaeus, lived between 20 BCE and 50 CE, yet not a remark from him. Remsburg explains:

Philo was born before the beginning of the Christian era, and lived until long after the reputed death of Christ. He wrote an account of the Jews covering the entire time that Christ is said to have existed on earth. He was living in or near Jerusalem when Christ's miraculous birth and the Herodian massacre occurred. He was there when Christ made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was there when the crucifixion with its attendant earthquake, supernatural darkness, and resurrection of the dead took place -- when Christ himself rose from the dead, and in the presence of many witnesses ascended into heaven. These marvelous events which must have filled the world with amazement, had they really occurred, were unknown to him. It was Philo who developed the doctrine of the Logos, or Word, and although this Word incarnate dwelt in that very land and in the presence of multitudes revealed himself and demonstrated his divine powers, Philo saw it not. (http://www.positiveatheism.org)

It has been argued that even though this period was intensively chronicled, works “which may well have mentioned Jesus, [have] been lost over time”, many early Christians were eager to quote sources that agreed with their views of a historical Jesus, yet besides a few disputed references, we find nothing, even in the works of Justin Martyr. His works make more than 300 direct quotations from the books of the old testament, one hundred from the apocryphal books of the new testament, but nothing from the four gospels. Not even the names are mentioned. (S, Christ Conspiracy 25)
This isn’t to say that there aren’t disputed references. One often used “proof” of the existence of a historical Jesus is a passage from Antiquities of the Jews, by Flavius Josephus. The passage is from 18.3.3
and states:

"Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day." (http://ptet.dubar.com/ecw/josephus.html)

This is what has been called the Testimonium Flavianum. The TF was not quoted until the fourth century by Eusebius, considered by many to be unreliable. (http://ptet.dubar.com/ecw/eusebius.html)
There were many Christian authorities who studied the works of Josephus, yet made no reference to the TF. These include Justin Martyr, Theophilus, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Hippolytus, Minucius Felix, Methodius, and Photius. (S. Suns of 385)
The evidence thus presented shows that the TF at one time did not exist in the writing of Josephus, and that it is most definitely a forgery. Further evidence of this includes the fact that “the passage interrupts the narrative, which would flow more naturally if the passage were left out” (S. Suns of 386), and that this is the only reference to the Christians in the works of Josephus. Josephus wrote 40 chapters about the life of a single king, he went into detailed accounts of many people of little importance, yet he dedicates only a few pitiful sentences to Jesus. (S. Suns of 386). It is agreed, even amongst Christian apologists, that this passage is at the very least interpolated, and by many to be a forgery in it’s entirety. (S, Christ Conspiracy 50)
Another historian said to have referenced Jesus is Pliny the Younger (62-113 CE). Pliny wrote a letter to Emperor Trajan. The only words that actively mentions anything related to Jesus are the words “Christiani” and “Christos“. It has been suggested that since Pliny reported much on a sect known as the Essenes, the meaning of the letter had interpolated, and that originally, he wrote “Essenes”, not “Christiani”. (S, Christ Conspiracy 50, http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove3_eng.php)
Furthermore, during the time this letter would have been written, “Christians” were considered followers of a Greco-Egyptian god Serapis. (SUG 394, http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove3_eng.php) This would make sense when one considers that Serapis was made popular in the third century BCE. Also, the titles “Christ”, “Christos”, “Chrestos, and “Chrestus” existed long before Jesus. These words mean little more than “good” or “useful”, and they were “titles frequently held by commoners, slaves, freedmen, bigwigs, priests and gods alike”. (S. Suns of 395)
Tacitus’s work supposedly contained a reference in book 15 of the Annals. Although it does not mention Christ, it states that Nero blamed the fire of Rome on the Christians. It is further states that Peter and Paul died as a result of the resulting persecution. (http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove3_eng.php) Unfortunately, this work can also be regarded as spurious, as Eusebius never mentions the Tacitus passage, nor anyone else, prior to the 15th century CE, and the fact that Tacitus himself wasn’t born till around 50 CE doesn’t seem to help matters any. (S, Christ Conspiracy 51, http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove3_eng.php, http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/tacitus.html )
Luigi Cascioli goes on to show further evidence of a fraud:

“That this document presented by Poggio Brandolino in 1429 is a forgery is demonstrated, in addition to the fact that Simon Peter could not be martyred under Nero because he was executed together with his brother James in 46 in Jerusalem under Claudius also because Tacitus could never have written of a fire of Rome, that according to what has been historically demonstrated, never happened. To conclude on this forgery, I want to point out, however absurd it may appear, that the document on which the story of the fire of Rome is based, is represented by the one presented in the 15th century by the papal secretary Poggio Brandolino, considered one of the major exponents of Christianity” (http://www.luigicascioli.it/prove3_eng.php)

Thus, Tacitus himself seems to have been unaware of Jesus. Even those who argue for the authenticity of the passage state that Tacitus may have simply been repeating a story already being passed along. (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/tacitus.html)
One of the last extra-biblical sources is Roman historian Suetonius, born around the same time as Tacitus. Suetonius states that the Emperor Claudius expelled the Jews from Rome because of disturbances caused by a “Crestus”. The meaning of Crestus in this passage translates to “messiah”, which is nothing odd. As Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy state:

“Although Crestus was a popular name, this is often taken as a corruption of “Christ.” Even if this were true, Howe ever, any number of would-be messiahs rousing the Jews to rebellion, so the supposition that any reference to “Christ” necessarily refers to the Jesus Christ of the gospels is completely unfounded. Anyway, Jesus is not believed to have ever visited Rome.”
(Freke, Gandy 134)

After investigation these extra-biblical sources, the question remains as to why there was so much early church forgery. The question of the existence of Jesus was nothing new, indeed, early church fathers had dealt with such objections from the Pagans. Such a problem were the comparisons that many early church fathers were forced to admit that the Pagans were correct in many of their assessments. Augustine was forced to admit that the many properties assigned to Christianity “never did not exist”. Eusebius admitted that Christianity was built upon earlier ideas, and Justin Martyr spent much time attempting to refute the pagans. (S, Christ Conspiracy 56)
Justin Martyr was born into a pagan family, and converted at the age of 30. (http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=4144)
In his Dialogue With Trypho, he states:

"Be well assured, then, Trypho ¼ that I am established in the knowledge of and faith in the Scriptures by those counterfeits which he who is called the devil is said to have performed among the Greeks; just as some were wrought by the Magi in Egypt, and others by the false prophets in Elijah's days. For when they tell that Bacchus, son of Jupiter, was begotten by [Jupiter's] intercourse with Semele, and that he was the discoverer of the vine; and when they relate, that being torn in pieces, and having died, he rose again, and ascended to heaven; and when they introduce wine into his mysteries, do I not perceive that [the devil] has imitated the prophecy announced by the patriarch Jacob, and recorded by Moses? And when they tell that Hercules was strong, and traveled over all the world, and was begotten by Jove of Alcmene, and ascended to heaven when he died, do I not perceive that the Scripture which speaks of Christ, 'strong as a giant to run his race,' has been in like manner imitated? And when he [the devil] brings forward Sculapius as the raiser of the dead and healer of all diseases, may I not say that in this matter likewise he has imitated the prophecies about Christ?” (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-dialoguetrypho.html)

Thus, we see that a comparison to other pagan gods was being made, and rightfully so. The characteristics attributed to Jesus were nothing new at the time, and the question of his historicity is also something that is not new. There was a sect of early Christians known as Docetists who did not believe in a physical incarnation of Jesus. (S. Suns of 373) To this sect, such gods that predated Jesus shared to many of the same characteristics. Horus was one who is strikingly similar to Jesus in many ways, as Acharya S explains:

“[he] was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger, with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men. He was a child teacher in the Temple and was baptized when he was 30 years old. He had 12 disciples. He performed miracles and raised one man, El-Azar-us, from the dead. He walked on water. He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light, the Messiah, God's Anointed Son, the Son of Man, the Good Shepherd, the Lamb of God, the Word" etc.”
(http://www.truthbeknown.com/origins4.htm)

There was also Mithra, who was also born on December 25th, performed miracles, was buried and rose again 3 days later, and whose resurrection was celebrated every year. (http://www.truthbeknown.com/origins4.htm, Freke, Gandy 60-61)
The list of gods goes on and on, all sharing much with Jesus. It is no wonder that there was a sect of early Christians known as Docetists, who did not believe in a physical incarnation of Jesus. (S. Suns of 373) This sentiment can be seen to echo through the works of some of the earliest Christian writers.
Paul, whose historicity has also been questioned, is said to have converted to Christianity through a vision on his way to Damascus. (Acts 9: 5-20 KJV) Paul Admits to not ever having met Jesus (Galatians 1:12), and his letters confirm this. Paul quotes nothing that Jesus is supposed to have said, and he says nothing of his birth, his miracles, or of his specific acts. Paul is silent on these topics. The passage most widely held to be proof of Paul knowing of a historical Jesus is as follows:

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.
(1 Corinthians 15:3-11)

This is considered by many to be an interpolation (http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/robert_price/apocrypha.html), and many of the letters are considered to be complete forgeries. (Freke, Gandy 150-154) This is unfortunate when it is considered that Paul wrote somewhere around 50 CE. If one accepts the earliest dates possible, the first gospel, Mark, was not written until, at the earliest, 70 CE. (Freke, Gandy 155, ISSOM 32) If we accept that the supposed death of Jesus was at 33, which may be hard to do considering that some Jewish sources argue that Jesus was born around 100 BCE and killed under Alexander Jannaeus, then we see that there is at least a 37 year gap between his death and the writings of the first gospel. (Price 40)
The fact that the gospels reference places that either never existed, or did not exist until much later, is problematic. These places include Aenon, which is said to have been near Aalim (John 3:23), although “critics agree that no such place as Aenon exists near Salim”. The same can be said for a city named Nazareth, which is not referenced at all by anyone contemporary of when it was reported in the gospels. (http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm)
Another fantastic element is the way the gospels have with names. Robert M. Price explains:

“ ¼ as the name “Zaccaeus” is just too good to be true for this character. It is based on the Aramaic zakki, “to give alms”! Of course, this was a real name, as was “Nicodemus,” but we have to wonder if we are dealing with a real historical figure when the name so closely matches the role of the character, as to hint that he is one of Torero’s “narrative-men.” Is it a coincidence that Nicodemus ( whose name means “ruler of the people”) is said in John 3:1 to be “a ruler of the Jews”? is it a coincidence that Martha, the hostess of Luke 10:38, has a name meaning “Lady of The House”? Is it a coincidence that the tax collector who is about to liquidate his holdings on behalf of the poor is called “Zaccaeus”? (Price 170)

This same narrative device appears again when Jesus raises Jairus’s daughter from the dead, as his name means “He will awaken”. (Price 152)
We also have the problem of having numerous changes in new testament works. As Bart D. Ehrman explains:

“Not only do we not have the originals, we don’t have the first copies of the originals, we don’t even have copies of the copies of the originals, or copies of the copies of the copies of the originals. What we have are copies made later - much later. In most instances, they are copies made many centuries later. And these copies all differ from one another, in many thousands of places.” (Ehrman 10)

Some manuscripts even include additions so blatant, and so late, that they shouldn’t even be included, such as the story of Jesus forgiving the woman caught in adultery (John 8:3-11), which may have been added as late as the 1500‘s. (Ehrman 64-65, 80-81)
The case for a historical Jesus crumbles underneath its own silence. We find nothing but unreliable documents surrounding the life of a man who was reported to be so well known. (Mathew 4:23-24, 5:1, 8:1, 8:18, 9:31, 9:33, 13:2, 14:1, 14:13, 15:30, 19:2; Mark 5:1, 10:1)
Everywhere we look for evidence, we find nothing but rank forgeries, interpolations, and pseudoepigraphs penned long after the alleged life of the son of God. The evidence against a historical Jesus, as reported in the gospels, and as celebrated to this day, is too great to go unnoticed, and as biblical criticism finds its way into the mainstream, we may just see the disappearance of Jesus, much like the disappearance of the other pagan gods of the past.

Works Cited
, St. Justin Martyr. 1 Jun 2006. Online. 3 Dec 2006.
Cascioli, luigi ANSWER TO OBJECTIONS. 2004. Online. 3 Dec 2006.
Ehrman, Bart D. Misquoting Jesus. New York: HarperCollins, 2005.
Freke, Timothy., and Peter Gandy. The Jesus Mysteries. New York: Random House, 1999.
Kirby, Peter Cornelius Tacitus. 2006. Online. 4 Dec 2006.
Martyr, Justin DIALOGUE WITH TRYPHO. 2001. Online. 5 Dec 2006.
Price, Robert M. The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books, 2003.
Price, Robert M. Apocryphal Apparitions. 1995. Online. 6 Dec 2006.
PTET, Did Josephus mention Jesus Christ?. 27 Mar 2006. Online. 1 Dec 2006.
Remsberg, John E. The Christ. New York: he Truth Seeker Company, 1909.
Remsberg, John E. The Christ. 1909. Online. 1 Dec 2006.
S, Acharya. Suns of God. Kempton, IL: Adventures Unlimited Press, 2004.
S, Acharya. The Christ Conspiracy. Kempton, IL: Adventures Unlimited Press, 1999.
S, Acharya The Origins of Christianity and the Quest for a Historical Jesus Christ. 2006. Online. 6 Dec 2006.

Deathmunkee
User is offlineOffline
Please excuse any formatting

Please excuse any formatting errors...this forum isn't exactly
Microsoft word Laughing out loud

Deathmunkee
User is offlineOffline
so....

anybody read this thing?