Hector Avalos Debate about the Resurrection of Jesus

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hector Avalos Debate about the Resurrection of Jesus

http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/isuaas/resources.shtml

William Lane Craig and Hector Avalos It's at the bottom of the page. It has some great arguments.

Thought you might be interested in this, I think it's awesome,

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So it was a good debate? I

So it was a good debate? I haven't gotten around to listening to it. Did hector pwn?

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes!

I think hector won this hands down, I was reading a review in a Christian forum about this debate and the only thing they could say about Hector was that he was arrogant and showed signs of the typical Atheist attitude. But if they were actually paying attention you will note that William Craig attacked Proff Avalos right off the bat, so he brought it on himself.

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: I

Pathofreason wrote:

I think hector won this hands down, I was reading a review in a Christian forum about this debate and the only thing they could say about Hector was that he was arrogant and showed signs of the typical Atheist attitude. But if they were actually paying attention you will note that William Craig attacked Proff Avalos right off the bat, so he brought it on himself.

Also, i'd like to say anyone who knows there shit and knows they know it sounds arrogant to many people. I do not see this as arrogance just mearly knowing your shit. 

Rocky
Rocky's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hector calls for elimination

Hector calls for elimination of religion from the public and private life.

How the Hell he plans to do that, only a Troskyite thug could say.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Rocky wrote: Hector calls

Rocky wrote:
Hector calls for elimination of religion from the public and private life. How the Hell he plans to do that, only a Troskyite thug could say.

I would imagine it would involve teaching people that there is a better alternative to religion and letting them choose it freely but then again everybody knows that when you wish something wasn't around anymore you're obviously secretly advocating using lethal armed force to remove it so I don't know.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm

Well Europe is becoming more and more secular and they aren't using lethal force. I think America is the one who is having the hardest time adjusting to reality. I mean we are almost last in the world in acceptance of Evolution. Only in America are we fighting it tooth and nail.

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: Well

Pathofreason wrote:
Well Europe is becoming more and more secular and they aren't using lethal force. I think America is the one who is having the hardest time adjusting to reality. I mean we are almost last in the world in acceptance of Evolution. Only in America are we fighting it tooth and nail.

Yeah... and that's depressing.... :'(

I listened to the debate and thought it was pretty good. I don't think Craig got owned too terribly bad (not as bad as RRS owned Kirk and Ray anyway), but I think part of the reason for that was because Avalos promised to stick to scriptural evidence pertaining to the resurrection and to not argue directly about the supernatural.

I thought that was a really interesting position for him to take. I mean, to an atheist like me, that almost sounded like "I'm going to fight you with both arms tied behind my back!"

I also laughed during the Q&A when one of the students went postal on Craig for committing logical fallacies, haha. Why was he so pissed?! I mean, even if Craig DID commit logical fallacies, the kid sounded like he was about to rush the stage and take him down! Someone needs to give that dude a massage. (Not it).

The student said he counted at least 25 logical fallacies, and I'd be interested in knowing them all, but I didn't notice quite that many. I did notice that Craig kept stressing that "there are 2 burdends of proof here tonight", but the burden of proof he gave to Avalos was that Avalos had to prove a negative (that Jesus was not resurrected).

I also noticed that Craig started by taking the typical apologetic route and assumed from the get-go that everything in the bible is a fact. At least he made some kind of attempt to show that the bible is a legitimate historical document, but he did seem to fail pretty miserably at that.

Avalos probably could have destroyed him much more severely if he wouldn't have restricted his arguments to certain criteria. I did think that was a pretty bad ass move on his part though. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Rocky wrote: Hector calls

Rocky wrote:
Hector calls for elimination of religion from the public and private life.

How the Hell he plans to do that, only a Troskyite thug could say.

Mandatory comparative religion classes in high school would probably go a long way towards marginalizing religion.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Rocky

MrRage wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Hector calls for elimination of religion from the public and private life. How the Hell he plans to do that, only a Troskyite thug could say.
Mandatory comparative religion classes in high school would probably go a long way towards marginalizing religion.

I agree but deciding who would teach them would be a hard task. I mean I can imagine some fundemamentalist Christian teaching a comparison between Buddhism and Christianity, they would be so bias they wouldn't give the other religions a fair chance.

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: MrRage

Pathofreason wrote:

MrRage wrote:
Rocky wrote:

I agree but deciding who would teach them would be a hard task. I mean I can imagine some fundemamentalist Christian teaching a comparison between Buddhism and Christianity, they would be so bias they wouldn't give the other religions a fair chance.

The point wouldn't be to instruct the students in how to practice the religions, though. It wouldn't be about arguing which religion makes the most sense either. It would just be a course where you learn facts about religions.

You could call it something like "Religious Mythology".

I don't doubt that there would be a Christian teacher somewhere who would try and paint Christianity in the brightest colors, but at least getting that sort of a program started would be a great first step. I'm sure we could figure out a way to control that sort of thing.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.