bible and dinosaurs

wackadoo
User is offlineOffline
bible and dinosaurs

Got a question for Bible Experts, and I hear Hook is the best.

So I was discussing religion with one the Fish People... This one's actually a nutjob. She believes in Noah's ark.

So I asked her... So what about the dinosaurs? Were they in the ark too?

Her reply was something in the lines of:

[blah blah blah] 

In the begining, there was Earth with some creatures (including dinosaurs)

[blah blah blah]

God wanted to punish Satan for defying him, so he threw him into Earth, then destroyed Earth, together with the dinosaurs. Yes, it was sad, but it was something it had to be done.

Then God simply recreated Earth again from scratch.

You guys don't have to tell me how absurd that is.

I was just wondering if there's any.. I mean *any* passage in the Bible that could be altered, misread, interpreted as something like the explanation above?

Seems like this was just some crap her pastor and her Bible Studies class made up to explain stuff they don't know.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I've heard claims that when

I've heard claims that when the BuyBull talked about "serpents" it meant dinosaurs.

wackadoo
User is offlineOffline
What about this idea of God

What about this idea of God having destroyed Earth and recreated it? That was the first time I heard this argument.

Sounded really crazy, but didn't want to call her ass on that, because I wasn't sure.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
 i am in no way a bible

i am in no way a bible expert but i do remember this as a child. 

Job, 40:15-24, NKJV

---- 

"Look now at the behemoth,which I made along with you; He eats grass like an ox. See now, his strength is in his hips, and his power is in his stomach muscles.

He moves his tail like a cedar; he sinews of his thighs are tightly knit. His bones are like beams of bronze, is ribs like bars of iron. He is the first of the ways of God; only He who made him can bring near His sword.

Surely the mountains yield food for him, And all the beasts of the field play there. He lies under the lotus trees, In a covert of reeds and marsh. The lotus trees cover him with their shade;  he willows by the brook surround him.

Indeed the river may rage, Yet he is not disturbed; He is confident, though the Jordan gushes into his mouth, Though he takes it in his eyes, Or one pierces his nose with a snare."

-----

i hope it helps though this verse could be describing a elephant or hippo if they were in that region.  i seem to remember the king james version being slightly different.  i think down further it describes a sea monster.

* if i'm not mistaken there is evidence of a great flood.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

simple theist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The following is not my

The following is not my beliefs and I will not defend them. Also it requires that you use the King James Version of the bible. 

Gen 1:28 NKJ "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

The idea is that to replenish the earth requires that the earth had life on it and that life was destroyed. This is also an explanation for dinosaurs because they lived during the first earth age (or whatever its called). The cosmic event that killed most of the animals during that time also killed something else. (I think the idea goes that these something else's became demons)

I don't think that the actual earth is destroyed, but everything on it.

Also his name is Rook and not Hook, in case that wasn't simply a typo. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poor Rook.  I've seen his

ROTF

Poor Rook.  I've seen his name spelled "Nook" and "Hook" in the last five minutes.  NO ONE gets his name right and I think it's a cool name. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MagicMan
MagicMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
curious site I found

I'm curious how do you respond to ideas put forth on a site like this.

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote:He moves his

sapphen wrote:
He moves his tail like a cedar;he sinews of his thighs are tightly knit. His bones are like beams of bronze, is ribs like bars of iron. He is the first of the ways of God; only He who made him can bring near His sword.

Yeah, Kent Hovind liked to point out this verse, which he thought must equivocate to a reference of a large dinosaur because elephants and hippos don't have tails like a "cedar". Only problem for him is that caudam (from the Vulgate) means penis, not "tail". It was mistranslated. So yes, in all probability, it refers to a large land mammal local to the area.

sapphen wrote:
i seem to remember the king james version being slightly different.

It sure is:

"He moveth his tail (*penis) like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together" - 40:17

"Moveth" - mistranslated from histemi, "to make firm".

"Stones" - mistranslated from testicolorum, testicles.

sapphen wrote:
i think down further it describes a sea monster.

"Canst thou draw out Leviathan with a hook? Or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?" - 41:1

Probably a whale, which were essentially "sea monsters" to primitive people.

sapphen wrote:
* if i'm not mistaken there is evidence of a great flood.

There have been great floods all through history, of course, but there is no evidence at all of a global flood at any point in history.
I recommend reading this debate thread: http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10675

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapphen wrote, "i am in no

Sapphen wrote, "i am in no way a bible expert but i do remember this as a child. 

Job, 40:15-24, NKJV"

Another problem with this reference is that no one knows the time period when this person, Job, was supposed to have lived. Was it before the mythical flood or after? 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca