Cain's Wife

bcreason
User is offlineOffline
Cain's Wife

I've been listening to podcasts and reading forums on Atheism for about a year now.

In all the various religious debates I've never heard anyone address a question I had when I was a Christian.

Adam & Eve are the first people, and they had two sons, Cain & Abel. Cain gets banished for killing Abel. Cain then goes to the land of Nod and has a Wife and a whole bunch of kids & grand kids.

If the only people in the world are Adam, Eve & Cain where in the hell did Cain's wife come from?

Also When Cain is banished by God he's afraid that some one will murder him so God put's a mark on him so who ever kills Cain will be punished seven fold.

Who's Cain afraid of?

There's only three people on the earth and he's leaving the other two behind.

I hear a lot's of debates about the two Genesis creation stories. Who bloody cares what order things were created. So the author had a brain fart and got the order wrong in the second chapter, big deal.

I want to know who Cain's wife was and where did she come from?

Did Cain marry a monkey?  There are no other people.  

This is the biggest Bible inconsistency I can think of and I never hear anyone bring it up.

What do the theists say about this?

Is this topic so old and hoary that no one talks about it any more?

It seems way too obvious that I could be the only one to have thought of it.

Next time someone tells me the Bible is the inerrant word of God I'm going to ask them if they can remember Cain's wifes name and walk away snickering.

AnointedHeathen
User is offlineOffline
I asked this question to one

I asked this question to one of my former pastors. The answer I got was that Adam and Eve weren't the first ones created but that they were merely the only ones created inside the Garden of Eden. In Genesis 1:26-27 it says that men and women were created and doesn't mention anything about Adam, Eve or the magical garden until the next chapter. While I don't think it's a very convincing explanation it's the most logical one I've heard to explain how we're not all products of incest (though that purpose is kind of defeated when you look at the flood story).

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
bcreason wrote:

bcreason wrote:
Adam & Eve are the first people, and they had two sons, Cain & Abel. Cain gets banished for killing Abel. Cain then goes to the land of Nod and has a Wife and a whole bunch of kids & grand kids.

If the only people in the world are Adam, Eve & Cain where in the hell did Cain's wife come from?

The standard answer I got was Cain married one of his sisters (Adam and Eve had daughters too).

What's interesting is Cain goes wandering in the land of Nod. But Nod means wandering. So Cain became a wanderer in the land of wandering.

bcreason wrote:
Also When Cain is banished by God he's afraid that some one will murder him so God put's a mark on him so who ever kills Cain will be punished seven fold.

Who's Cain afraid of?

There's only three people on the earth and he's leaving the other two behind.

There's possibly more, because Adam and Eve had other children. But that's a good question.

bcreason wrote:
I hear a lot's of debates about the two Genesis creation stories. Who bloody cares what order things were created. So the author had a brain fart and got the order wrong in the second chapter, big deal.

The first few chapters of Genesis are a patchwork of various folk tales, so that's why they don't mesh together well.

Let me add another question. It also says that Cain was building a city. Would there be enough people on earth to populate a city?

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've heard a creationist

I've heard a creationist explanation that the genes were more "pure" then, so the incest would not have produced harmful mutations. Just thought I'd throw that out for entertainment value.

bcreason
User is offlineOffline
At the time of the Cain

At the time of the Cain story the bible only mentions Cain and Abel. There were no other siblings at the time Cain  leaves for Nod, so how could he have met and married a sister? Doesn't make much sense does it.   I know, don't shoot the messenger.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's what I got from a

Here's what I got from a Google search:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/tools/cains_wife.asp

I don't think it's a very good explanation.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: Here's

mindspread wrote:
Here's what I got from a Google search: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/tools/cains_wife.asp I don't think it's a very good explanation.

Then again, the stuff in AiG (in my opinion) is not written to convince skeptics but to further indoctrinate believers.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I vaguely remember some

I vaguely remember some lame explanation about "there were actually five groups of people on earth at the time".  Cain married someone from one of these tribes. 

This explanation was also used to explain why humans had different skin colors.

Even as a child I thought it was lame.  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnointedHeathen wrote: I

AnointedHeathen wrote:
I asked this question to one of my former pastors. The answer I got was that Adam and Eve weren't the first ones created but that they were merely the only ones created inside the Garden of Eden. In Genesis 1:26-27 it says that men and women were created and doesn't mention anything about Adam, Eve or the magical garden until the next chapter. While I don't think it's a very convincing explanation it's the most logical one I've heard to explain how we're not all products of incest (though that purpose is kind of defeated when you look at the flood story).
Interestingly, this explanation would go perfectly with the Sumerian creation story, which Genesis already shows a lot of similarity to.Having others created before Adam would only add to it.

Shawn Wright (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The scripts aren't telling

The scripts aren't telling us everything because when Cain killed Abel, YHWH told him to leave the garden. Cain was scared and said that whoever was out there were going to kill him. That's when YHWH put his mark on him so nothing would touch him. But, on the other hand thoug, that shit crazy because there had to be more people on the planet for him to be bitching about going out there and for him to go out there and have kids. That makes me think about the nephilim, blue bloods, shape shifters, people coming from other planets or some crazy shit like that. Real shit.