Obsession with Martyrs..

CynageN
User is offlineOffline
Obsession with Martyrs..

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with this situation, I'm going to assume not even though it's pretty old news.

Columbine.

I'm sure all of you know exactly what I'm talking about with just that word alone. There's no denying that it was a horrible tragedy and should not have happened. However, to think that it happened soley on the assumption that the two boys were "evil" is ridiculous and irrational. It happened for a reason outside of their state of mind. It happened because people naturally are careless and cruel, especially in the teenage years.

Now, on to why I'm posting on this particular topic. A girl that was killed at columbine was killed because she was a theist. No, not because she was specificly christian, she was asked if she believed in god by the two boys and replied yes, and they shot her. Now, I'm not going to say I don't wish death on anyone because that's not true. What I will say is, I wish death on no one that is a decent human being.. and of course babies. She seemed like a decent person, but keep in mind that my entire understanding of her existence comes purely from media coverage fabricated by Christians.

You'd think that they would respect her enough to give her a proper burial, post her picture and name on the memorial wall and let her name be at peace. However, her family has apparently decided to MARKET HER DEATH. That's right, you can get a Rachel Scott Tshirt, mug, bracelet, book about her, book about how columbine was a christian dominated school, book about how America has "Christian Roots". Not only is this absolutely disgusting, most if not all of it is FALSE. Christians are marketing the death of someone who they see as a modern martyr. While that's not suprising in the least bit when you put it that way, this one actually existed.

Why are they so FUCKING obsessed with martyrs? I really want to understand this.

Oh and for you christians reading, OMG CHRISTIAN SHOPPING SPREE!!!1
http://www.rachelscott.com/

Brian
User is offlineOffline
Obsession with Martyrs..

Weither or not they got picked on is irrelevent. They had no right to do what they did.

As for the girl, she didn't get shot because she said she believed in god, she got shot because she was a convieniant target. If it had been me and I said, "I am an atheist" they would have shot me and Christians would have said, "See".

I got picked on too. But I grew up and got over it. They weren't good or evil, they simply were troubled and had a severe case of tunnel vision and went undetected and the warning signs were ignored.

But, to blame the victims for what those assholes did is wrong.

[b]FREETHOUGHT MEDIA AND INFIDEL GUY BRING YOU LOTS OF NEW RADIO HOSTS THE RATIONAL REDNECK,RATIONAL RESPONDERS, SILKY SHREW, BIBLE GEEK, OLD TIME ATHEIST HOUR AND MUCH MUCH MORE, BUY THEIR SHOWS AND DONATE TO ALL THESE SITES, HELP SPREAD THE VOICE OF RE

CynageN
User is offlineOffline
Obsession with Martyrs..

Uh, actually no, they were going after jocks and anyone who stood in their way.

I live about 10 minutes away from columbine, I have friends that attended during the shooting. All of them confirmed that anyone who stood in their way was either shot immediately or asked if they believed in god, and then killed. This thread wasn't about debating that, it was about the fact that christians are marketing the death of an innocent girl who died because of what happened. I don't know where you got the impression that I said they had every right to do what they did, because I didn't say that.

Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obsession with Martyrs..

I agree that reducing a tragedy to nothing more than a bracelet or coffee mug is a sad but necessary possibility of living in a so-called "free" society. But as far as why Christians find the death of Rachel Scott an occasion to memorialize isn't difficult to see. The military often does this for those who pay the ultimate sacrifice, and it's appropriate to observe the significance of what that means.

In one way, this increased awareness can be seen as an encouraging wake-up call for Christians in that community to begin taking their faith seriously. This should manifest in less hypocritical behavior, which should be a welcome change to those who criticize some professing Christians' inconsistent behavior (wherever such criticism is indeed valid). Secondly, as absurd as this may sound, it might also serve as a basis to raise a greater awareness of a very dangerous thread of excessive hostility toward Christian people in society. To what extent this antipathy pervades our culture is questionable, but that it exists is something that seems to be coming more and more difficult to deny (Google about Francis Beckwith's denial of tenure for another example).

One other demographic I know that uses such occasions to increase awareness of their cause are gays who have memorialized the wrongful murder of Matthew Shepard. Gay advocates have likewise capitalized on his death and identity as a means to make significant inroads in public schools, colleges, communities, and corporate organizations where their message and cause are furthered, all under the protection of cultural and legal sanction.

There is simply no way Christians would be allowed similar opportunities at such a hearing, no matter how blatant the "hate crime" committed. It seems those who dub themselves "tolerant" may not allow such a hearing. =]

EDIT: Added link and redacted for clarity.

CynageN
User is offlineOffline
Obsession with Martyrs..

I wasn't aware christians were widely looked down upon in the US like homosexuals are still. Maybe I missed something.

Brian
User is offlineOffline
Obsession with Martyrs..

CynageN wrote:
Uh, actually no, they were going after jocks and anyone who stood in their way.

I live about 10 minutes away from columbine, I have friends that attended during the shooting. All of them confirmed that anyone who stood in their way was either shot immediately or asked if they believed in god, and then killed. This thread wasn't about debating that, it was about the fact that christians are marketing the death of an innocent girl who died because of what happened. I don't know where you got the impression that I said they had every right to do what they did, because I didn't say that.

Not saying you did. I was making a statement. Sorry to give the wrong impression.

What the Christians did with that poor girl in exploiting her as a martyr when she was just a target, is horrible.

[b]FREETHOUGHT MEDIA AND INFIDEL GUY BRING YOU LOTS OF NEW RADIO HOSTS THE RATIONAL REDNECK,RATIONAL RESPONDERS, SILKY SHREW, BIBLE GEEK, OLD TIME ATHEIST HOUR AND MUCH MUCH MORE, BUY THEIR SHOWS AND DONATE TO ALL THESE SITES, HELP SPREAD THE VOICE OF RE