Bible Studies

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible Studies

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, and if it isn't i'm sorry.  I was just wondering if anyone knew of a really good way to study the Bible.  I've been to that skeptics one, and found it useful.  However I'm more interested in one that goes extremely in-depth, and even offers questions, or quizzes/tests after certain sections.  If anyone knows of some websites, or ones that can be purchased it would be greatly appreciated.

---Thanks. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: I'm not

22jesus22 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, and if it isn't i'm sorry. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a really good way to study the Bible. I've been to that skeptics one, and found it useful. However I'm more interested in one that goes extremely in-depth, and even offers questions, or quizzes/tests after certain sections. If anyone knows of some websites, or ones that can be purchased it would be greatly appreciated.

---Thanks.

Skeptics Annotated Bible

www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

PLEASE remember if you debate theists using this they will pull the "That's not the correct interpretation or version" be sure you are both addressing the same version.

There should be options on that board to access the different versions.  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
www.evilbible.com

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I use

I use http://biblebrowser.com/ made by theist, for theist, but I use it against them anyway. It has more then one translation and has greek and hebrew. Even if you don't know the langs it can be useful because it tells you what they could mean.

Another source that a theist will probably accept is http://www.biblegateway.com/ Again more then one translation, but I have heard some bad things about it like changing the word slave to servant. That can be a bad thing for you if a person wants to argue there is no slavery in the bible.

I have heard Rook suggest http://www.blueletterbible.org/ in the past, I haven't used it much though.

If you get into an argument with someone I suggest you give them the verse and look at more then one translation. That way they can't just say you read the wrong bible and if they try to use a modified bible you'll know it.

Now I haven't run into that problem with christians, but with muslims I have noticed they tend to nit pick those things. If something like that happens a christian point out a few other translations that word things in a more consistent manner. I mean if 1 translation says servant, but 6 others says slave it will make it hard for him to argue.

For study I don't know what to tell you really. I haven't done much, I haven't even read all of the bible. However I suggest you be careful on christian sites as they might just give you the lighter side of things. The way I would go about it is just reading it and when confused look up other translations, the meanings of the words in older langs, or what different people say about it.

The key word there is different. One interesting thing is that you can get info on how to disprove one faith from another. If they disagree on a point look at their arguments. There might also be and ex-whatever religion site floating around where you could find their take on certain things or ammo. You also should look out for the different groups trying to spin words. What I tend to do is just look at what it says and try to get my own understanding out of it.

Also don't just read one verse at a time the context can be very important. If you quote something out of context they will probably call you on it. Fuck, they’ll call you on it when you don't. I doubt that there are few quotes that you can give that stand all by themself, but there are some and that really depends on your point.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow thanks for the sites

wow thanks for the sites guys.  I'm not really doing this so I can go out and argue against Christians, its really just for me.  I want to go into religious studies when I head off to University, so I just want to get a head start.  This is all really appreciated.  Thanks.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
22jesus22 wrote: wow thanks

22jesus22 wrote:
wow thanks for the sites guys. I'm not really doing this so I can go out and argue against Christians, its really just for me. I want to go into religious studies when I head off to University, so I just want to get a head start. This is all really appreciated. Thanks.

Just be sure when you are sitting in class that your "bias detector" is sharpened.

It is definatly important to examine and compaire all texts. But also be aware that the person teaching it may have a goal of their own. Dont be afraid to question that as well. If they are worth their weight they wont be afraid of the socratic method of question response question response. 

Most of the world including most teaching is taught as an autoritarian when it should be a two way exchange. A good proffessor will conceed a point when proven wrong without prejudice to the student pointing it out. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog