Jesus the only salvation?

hartfield
User is offlineOffline
Jesus the only salvation?

Rook I had a question.

In what passages does the bible state that Jesus is the only way to salvation?

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not Rook, but I'm pretty

I'm not Rook, but I'm pretty sure that it's:
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

hartfield
User is offlineOffline
thanks, if you guys can find

thanks, if you guys can find more passages please post'em

hartfield
User is offlineOffline
ok...I'm being argued by

ok...I'm being argued by this jewish guy...(who is scared of not believing in jesus..so he' denies that only jesus is salvation) that to understand what the bible really means in 4:18 and 14:6 (i'm pretty sure he's going to come up with the same excuse over and over for other passages..) you have to read the whole chapter to understand what it really means...

I read that whole passage (4:16-4:21) and I don't get how it means something else.... or is not saying that you HAVE to believe in Jesus or you're fucked.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Salvation is an obvious

Salvation is an obvious conundrum for any Christian when faced with the contradictions in the Bible concerning it. There are four ways to achieve salvation in the Bible, through works, faith, predestination or whenever God feels like taking somebody up. Faith seems to be the one you are looking for, so here's a laundry list:

Acts 16:30, "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou halt be saved, and thy house." (See also: John 14:6, 3:15-16, 18, 36, 6:28-29, 47, 11:25-26, Acts 4:12, 13:39, Romans 1:16-17, Hebrews 11:6, Ephesians 2:8-9)

Hope that helps.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Rich_Rodriguez
RRS Academy AdminSuperfan
Rich_Rodriguez's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this Dan Barker quote

I like this Dan Barker quote on Salvation:

"Salvation is the soution to a problem of it's own making (sin)"
"If salvation is the cure, than Atheism is the prevention".

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a skeptic, I'd have to

As a skeptic, I'd have to ask the question: Is there such a thing as salvation before arguing "is Jesus the only way to salvation?"
Before asking about salvation, one would have to ask "what is being saved?" There are those that believe that only a soul/spirit is saved. Some believe that a body with a soul can be saved.
Before even that there would have to be proof that a soul even exists.
No soul, no salvation. No salvation, no method of salvation (which is what is being questioned here).

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

andy1982211
andy1982211's picture
User is offlineOffline
A good quote

Quote:
Believe Nothing
No matter where you read it or who has said it,
not even if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Budda

-Andy

reason_passion
Rational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
pre-questions

The problem with using biblical passages to debate a Jew is that, if the person is at all knowledgeable, they can quite easily revert to their own specific understanding of the bible which is unassailable from a non-believers perspective, having no access to god. In addition, the proper jew won't take into consideration any of the new testament, as they don't believe jesus was the messiah.

The real issue in debating this is precisely what randallord proposed, that is, getting to the hear of the matter of there even being a soul that would require salvation. The soul presupposes a spiritualist-dualist metaphysic of the world and if that breaks down, the whole question of what way is a person "saved" becomes ludicrous.

Every one of your relationships to man and to nature must be a definite expression of your real, individual life corresponding to the object of your will. -Erich Fromm