Canada speaks up, Moore is right about Sicko... Canada Healthcare Better

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
Canada speaks up, Moore is right about Sicko... Canada Healthcare Better

Have you seen Michael Moores new movie SICKO? It's been the topic of conversation in our chat room this week. Kelly, Rook, and Sapient agree that our health care should be overhauled and that we should socialize more of it than we already do. Please visit us in the chatroom to discuss the issue. We recorded over 4 hours of material with Jake, and other assorted call in guests on the issue of universal health care for all Americans. The material will be available to subscribers in a newly created private forum for them soon. For those that dissent from the Michael Moore perspective in Sicko, take solace in the fact that our co-host "Yellow#5" (Mike) disagrees with us for the most part. We had a quite lively discussion and for the next week we will be focusing on issues related to Sicko.

Please visit www. MichaelMoore.com to get acquainted with the topic. Anyone who wants to speak about this issue at all is welcome to come on our stickam show at almost any point. Just come into our stickam room when you see us in there, and we'll entertain the idea. We can record the material so that your views are heard. Do you have personal health care stories that you would like to share? Come on our show to tell us about them. Visit us in the stickam room to make it happen (we'll call you, we don't list our number): http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_webcam_room

The first objection I tend to hear is that Canadians have longer wait times or some variant of this when trying to defend for profit health care. Read a few of the views from Canadians that are appalled at that notion.

Here is my favorite:

Your Own Worst Enemy

From: cassandra
Date: Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:50 PM
To: mmflint@aol.com
Subject: Canadian living in the US, the health care truth

Hey,

I just watched (with tears rolling down my face) your film, "Sicko." I am a Canadian citizen living in Los Angeles. I am without healthcare. I am only 25, yet fear that something will happen to me that won't allow me to fly back to Canada to receive the treatment for it. It's quite sad. I have a job here, do quite well, have 2 university degrees...and yet can't go to the doctor when I feel ill. I also work in the fashion industry...an industry that doesn't offer a lot of careers In my home town of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. This is the US...and yet I cannot have both, a career I love and healthcare. I can go back to Canada, rethink my entire career and work in a profession I have zero passion for, but yet know that If I break a leg or need stitches...I won't have to file for bankruptcy. Why are educated adults living in an industrialized nation having to make such decisions????

I would also like to testify that the picture the US media paints of Canada’s universal healthcare system is completely false. It already saddens me Daily, the level of stupidity and lack of global awareness people have here in the states. Why learn about other cultures when we are indoctrinated to believe this is the god damn best country in the world? Who needs a passport? Who needs to educate themselves on the wondrous joys of other countries when the government leads us to believe, god damn it, this is the best f*%*$% place to be. You can drive a Lexus and not have a high school diploma, just make sure you use condoms though, because that newborn will set you back a year salary and forget about spending time with that expensive little treat because you have to go back to work, now!

After watching your movie, I am thinking I need to give up the snow free winters and get my ass back to Canada. My parents are living it up during their retirement. They are extremely well off people, do they complain about the health care...do they get all flustered thinking, damn I could just pay my way into not having to wait for operation X or check up Y? NO! Canadian health care is amazing. My dad had a massive heart attack 2 years ago, fire trucks, ambulance, doctors were there within 5 minutes, he was checked into the hospital, they blasted out the clog, and he was home within the week and all that came out of their pocket was the money spent on coffee and snacks from the vending machines in the hospital. The hospital had no idea of my parents financial standing in life and yet his treatment was just the same as the regular Joe Schmoo who works as a janitor.

It wasn't until I moved to the states that I realized how messed up this country is. It is all backwards. The complacency of citizens to just believe every last thing that is fed to them...via CNN, US weekly, down to every last government official...it's sick and it will be the absolute demise of this nation. People in power have their bank accounts’ best interest at hand, have the well being of their party at a higher priority...they don't give a shit about what's best for the average person...Americans should get their passport, spend less money on their local church or political candidate, get out there, visit other countries , check your ego at the door and realize America IS NOT the best country in the world and if the 300 million of you got up and made as much noise as Michael Moore...there might be some freaking change for the better here AND stop being so ignorant about paying more taxes...immediate rewards aren't as important as looking at the big picture...in the long run, pay more taxes, get more back...it isn't socialism...because the government SHOULD provide those things, what they shouldn't provide is the ability to BRAINWASH you into being your own worst enemy.

Cassandra

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
My friend's military health

My friend's military health insurance runs out soon and she needs a prescription filled.  The problem is her doctor on the base won't see her to sign a form until after the insurance expires.  With basically no money she has the choice of going further into debt or going insane because her medication helps her control her psychosis.

On the other hand if she lived in Canada it wouldn't be a problem.  Here is America the option she has is for her husband to re-enroll in the military and get sent back to Iraq.

 Lovely options.  Our government has the money to kill people but not to help it's own people.

Right now we have socialized programs which work quite well.  The Fire Department is great, medicare and medicaid provide health care to millions cheaper than private programs, social security gives it's checks consistently and has kept millions out of poverty, public schools give a basic education to millions.

Thank goodness for Michael Moore bringing this subject to the forefront after the corporate media has silenced the issue (if not promoted outright lies) for so long. 


The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
Posts: 78
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Is this the same Michael

Is this the same Michael Moore who's past "documentaries" are filled with half-truths, obfuscation and outright lies?

What makes me curious is why people who claim to lean towards Libertarians politically would want a government-mandated cradle-to-grave medical plan. You do realize that this socialized medicine would not be free, but would instead be funded by your tax dollars? Are you really willing to pay 20% or more in income tax to the Federal Government for sub-standard care?

If you don't believe that a government-mandated medical system would be sub-standard care, take a look at how the Government already runs health care systems in its VA hospitals across the country. Personally, I don't want my medical needs dictated to me by some bureaucrat 2,000 miles away in Washington.  There are already better alternatives, such as HSA accounts.

We don't need socialized medicine. What we really need is insurance and tort reform, which are the primary causes for increased medical costs.

The Saint


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: If you

The_Saint wrote:


If you don't believe that a government-mandated medical system would be sub-standard care, take a look at how the Government already runs health care systems in its VA hospitals across the country. Personally, I don't want my medical needs dictated to me by some bureaucrat 2,000 miles away in Washington. There are already better alternatives, such as HSA accounts.

The Saint

Clearly you haven't seen Moore's film.  It amazes me so many people comment on something they haven't seen.  Apparently an unnamed bureaucrat who approves medical care is worse than an unnamed bureaucrat working for an insurance company who denies medical care is worse.  Then again, you didn't watch the film so I suggest you do so so your complaints can be addressed and you don't need to attack the messenger. 


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: Is this

The_Saint wrote:

Is this the same Michael Moore who's past "documentaries" are filled with half-truths, obfuscation and outright lies?

What makes me curious is why people who claim to lean towards Libertarians politically would want a government-mandated cradle-to-grave medical plan. You do realize that this socialized medicine would not be free, but would instead be funded by your tax dollars? Are you really willing to pay 20% or more in income tax to the Federal Government for sub-standard care?

If you don't believe that a government-mandated medical system would be sub-standard care, take a look at how the Government already runs health care systems in its VA hospitals across the country. Personally, I don't want my medical needs dictated to me by some bureaucrat 2,000 miles away in Washington.  There are already better alternatives, such as HSA accounts.

We don't need socialized medicine. What we really need is insurance and tort reform, which are the primary causes for increased medical costs.

The Saint

You might not need to increase taxes if you cut back on the hundreds of billions of dollars spent on arms.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Well, I may be able to

Well, I may be able to offer some objectivity on the subject. My parents are MDs. I was going to follow in their footsteps but instead became a medical research scientist. I have lived in Canada (I am a Canadian citizen), and I tend to concur with my parents assessment-namely, that the american healthcare system is a tragedy and the Canadian one a comedy. Being that America has no universalized medicine, it is hopelessly expensive. Health insurance companies, drug companies, etc, are more interested in profit than patients anyway, and every year, people have to file bankruptcy or leave to get treatment. The private-only system of the US makes it unique in the civilized world.

On the other hand, the Canadian health care system is a cruel joke, the inefficiencies are astonishing. 12 weeks for an MRI, 20 for surgery...It's so pathetic, it isn't even funny

The reason I say this is because I live in Hong Kong, which has a mix of private and public medicine. I am pleased to report that the quality of the public system in Hong Kong is excellent. Everyone and anyone can get free healthcare, top-notch too. When I needed an MRI, I was able to book it in the public system and have it two days later. In Canada, I would probably have had to wait three months.

This may astonish the Americans reading, but Hong Kong has no taxes. None. And yet, they still have a top-notch public health care system. *Slaps forehead*

Why do Americans labor under the delusion that the introduction of universal healthcare into the equation necessarily need replace the private system, as opposed to standing alongside it, like here?

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
Posts: 78
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: Clearly you

D-cubed wrote:
Clearly you haven't seen Moore's film. It amazes me so many people comment on something they haven't seen.


No, but I have seen his other films, which is what prompted my initial question. Despite what his films are billed as, Moore does not make documentaries--his films are Hollywood agitprop, and anyone who watches this film thinking its an accurate portrayal of the American medical system vs. the "miracle systems" of Socialism are naive, and easily duped. Likely Moore has relied upon the same hype and propaganda that the Clintons used in the '90s to try and push through their gargantuan universal health care proposal--no one was buying then, and no one is buying now.

Quote:
Apparently an unnamed bureaucrat who approves medical care is worse than an unnamed bureaucrat working for an insurance company who denies medical care is worse.


Swapping one flawed system for another is not a rational solution--at the very least with the system in place now, I have a choice--I can choose my own doctor, insurance, and medical plan, or if need be, pay my medical expenses out-of-pocket. Under a Government-mandated universal system, I will have limited (if any) choice in doctors and medical plans, and I certainly would not be able to opt out of the system, but would be forced to pay exorbitant taxes to pay for lowest-common-denominator health care. No thanks.

Quote:
Then again, you didn't watch the film so I suggest you do so so your complaints can be addressed and you don't need to attack the messenger.


I don't really need to suffer through Moore's self-serving diatribe in order to make an informed decision about the subject matter. Moore is not the first to propagandize the state of our medical system, and there's nothing new here outside the glossy Hollywood treatment his films typically receive. If Moore holds true to his modus operandi, no doubt he has scoured the country to find the worst case scenario in order to generalize the American medical system and insurance companies as co-conspirators to defraud the American people and deny them even the most basic medical care, while simultaneously painting an idealized picture of the socialized medical systems of Cuba, Canada, France, et al, while pulling out all the stops to force his captive audience to wonder why we here in America can't put together such a utopian system.

The problem is that it's all BS. Does Moore bother to show the avalanche of people who flock to this country from Canada and other countries to get the medical care their vaunted system denies them? Doubtful. As I understand it, Moore's movie makes a big deal out of the United States being ranked a lowly 37th in quality of care by the World Health Organization, yet conveniently ignores that Cuba ranks 39th, and the great Canadian system ranks only 30th. His claims about Cuban health care, according to Cubans who have experience with their own system, is also a lie. According to an interview with the Miami Herald, Dr. Julio Cesar Alfonso, a Miami doctor who practiced in Cuba for four years, says that the medical care tourists and VIP's receive is very different from what the general population receives. According to Dr. Alfonso, “If you’re a Cuban citizen and need a prescription drug, most doctors either tell you to ask your relatives in the U.S. to ship it to you or recommend alternative herbal remedies. That’s the degree of scarcity on the island.” Does Moore make this fact known to his audience? Again, doubtful.

I'm certainly no fan of the insurance companies in this country--I had my premium go from $400 to $1,000 per month, just because I had a child, which is preposterous. My wife is consistently labeled "high risk" by insurers, solely because she once had a benign cyst on her lower back. But at least under our current system, we can choose what insurance--if any--we wish to carry, and how much we are willing to pay. We moved to an HSA account, which lowered our premium to less than $200 per month--we get to keep our same doctor and same coverage, and the only difference is that the deductible is higher. Under a socialized medical system, we would have no such choice--our medical benefits would be dictated by the government, and our federal taxes would increase by 20% or more, just to trade one headache for another.

The Saint


The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
Posts: 78
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: You

stillmatic wrote:

You might not need to increase taxes if you cut back on the hundreds of billions of dollars spent on arms.

 

That may be true, but we should focus what is likely, not what is possible.  Does anyone seriously entertain the idea that the government is going to reduce the burden on the taxpayer by cutting billions out of defense spending? 

 

The Saint 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: This may

deludedgod wrote:

This may astonish the Americans reading, but Hong Kong has no taxes. None. And yet, they still have a top-notch public health care system. *Slaps forehead*

How do they attain money for infrastructure? 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: Likely

The_Saint wrote:
Likely Moore has relied upon the same hype and propaganda that the Clintons used in the '90s to try and push through their gargantuan universal health care proposal--no one was buying then, and no one is buying now.

The_Saint wrote:

Moore is not the first to propagandize the state of our medical system, and there's nothing new here outside the glossy Hollywood treatment his films typically receive.

I am always quick to distrust those who preach against propaganda while employing propaganda. No one was buying then? No one is buing now? This sort of absolute language is dishonest.

There were plenty of folks who wanted universal healthcare, and there still are. Myself along with about 80% of the RRS members I've asked, we're "buying it."

 

Quote:
Swapping one flawed system for another is not a rational solution--at the very least with the system in place now, I have a choice--I can choose my own doctor, insurance, and medical plan, or if need be, pay my medical expenses out-of-pocket. Under a Government-mandated universal system, I will have limited (if any) choice in doctors and medical plans, and I certainly would not be able to opt out of the system, but would be forced to pay exorbitant taxes to pay for lowest-common-denominator health care. No thanks.

 

Would you support a system that had both private and government run systems? A system that you could opt out of should you choose? These are problems that could be worked out if you focus on the issue rather than focus on insulting the filmmaker for that which you are guilty of yourself.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
Posts: 78
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Hello Brian, Sapient

Hello Brian,

Sapient wrote:
I am always quick to distrust those who preach against propaganda while employing propaganda. No one was buying then? No one is buing now? This sort of absolute language is dishonest.


No less dishonest than the absolutist language Michael Moore uses in all his films to push his liberal agenda. The fact of the matter is that the Clinton's attempt to pass universal health care failed precisely because the people realize that despite the flaws in our medical system, replacing it with a monolithic government-mandated system is not the solution.

Quote:
There were plenty of folks who wanted universal healthcare, and there still are. Myself along with about 80% of the RRS members I've asked, we're "buying it."


Hasty Generalization. 80% of the RRS membership is not representative of the population as a whole.

Quote:
Would you support a system that had both private and government run systems? A system that you could opt out of should you choose?


If I could opt out of it? Possibly--it depends on the rubrics of the system whether I would accept it as fair. But as I said in response to another post, we need to focus on what's likely, not what's possible; if the government were somehow able to pass a universal health care bill, it would likely not be a hybrid system in which citizens could "opt out", but would instead institute an increase in taxes across the board, and require participation in some fashion in order to justify this increase in taxes. 

 I believe in freedom of choice, not government control--like it or not, heath care coverage is not a human right one can or should demand from the State. 

The Saint


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: No less

The_Saint wrote:


No less dishonest than the absolutist language Michael Moore uses in all his films to push his liberal agenda. The fact of the matter is that the Clinton's attempt to pass universal health care failed precisely because the people realize that despite the flaws in our medical system, replacing it with a monolithic government-mandated system is not the solution.

You haven't even seen the movie so you don't even know what you are talking about.  Who needs a movie review from someone who only saw a preview (if you've even seen that)?  I have a suggestion, watch the film then add something informative rather than your assumptions of the movie based on complete ignorance.


The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
Posts: 78
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: You haven't

D-cubed wrote:
You haven't even seen the movie so you don't even know what you are talking about. Who needs a movie review from someone who only saw a preview (if you've even seen that)? I have a suggestion, watch the film then add something informative rather than your assumptions of the movie based on complete ignorance.


So in order to form an opinion about the benefits/drawbacks of universal health care, I have to see Michael Moore's movie first? Thats not very rational, as it falsely assumes that Moore is the first to bring this subject to light (he isn't), and that his arguments are authoritative (they aren't). I don't need to see his movie to make an informed comment on the subject of universal health care, and furthermore, I don't need to see his new movie to make the argument that Moore is a propagandist, having seen his other work. Put more plainly, I don't need to be a farmer to know when I'm standing in bullshit.

The Saint


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: So in

The_Saint wrote:

So in order to form an opinion about the benefits/drawbacks of universal health care, I have to see Michael Moore's movie first? Thats not very rational, as it falsely assumes that Moore is the first to bring this subject to light (he isn't), and that his arguments are authoritative (they aren't). I don't need to see his movie to make an informed comment on the subject of universal health care, and furthermore, I don't need to see his new movie to make the argument that Moore is a propagandist, having seen his other work. Put more plainly, I don't need to be a farmer to know when I'm standing in bullshit.

The Saint

You're commenting on Moore being inaccurate and promoting propaganda based on a movie you've never seen.  Go see the movie.


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote:   You're

D-cubed wrote:

 

You're commenting on Moore being inaccurate and promoting propaganda based on a movie you've never seen. Go see the movie.

 

So the stunt on the boat at gitmo and the cuban's to the rescue wasn't baldfaced propaganda? If a Christian ministry used such tactics (and they do) you would rip them a new asshole (not sure why, they have enough assholes among them as it is). But when the messenger promotes an idea you agree with (I also think healthcare is broken) he gets more slack than a post-ejaculatory penis.

Sounds rational to me. 


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

So the stunt on the boat at gitmo and the cuban's to the rescue wasn't baldfaced propaganda? If a Christian ministry used such tactics (and they do) you would rip them a new asshole (not sure why, they have enough assholes among them as it is). But when the messenger promotes an idea you agree with (I also think healthcare is broken) he gets more slack than a post-ejaculatory penis.

Sounds rational to me.

The purpose was to get the people health care. Moore went to Cuba for that reason. He was turned away from the American base and he was left with the alternative of Cuba. The movie would have turned out differently if Moore could have gotten the health care that the inmates receive. How is it propaganda when it's fact? The inmates in Cuba get better treatment that the 9/11 volunteers.

Or is any news reporting a propaganda gimick?

What Christian ministry took some people to Cuba for health care? I'm just curious on why I responded the way I'm going to for something I'm not familiar with. Please enlighten me. I figured since I'm for universal health care I could care less if a person gets it at a secular hospital or a religious one but you must know me better so give me that example with the Christian trip to Cuba.

BTW, Michael Moore is Catholic so it appears I really didn't have a problem with a Christian getting some Americans some health care.


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: wavefreak

D-cubed wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

So the stunt on the boat at gitmo and the cuban's to the rescue wasn't baldfaced propaganda? If a Christian ministry used such tactics (and they do) you would rip them a new asshole (not sure why, they have enough assholes among them as it is). But when the messenger promotes an idea you agree with (I also think healthcare is broken) he gets more slack than a post-ejaculatory penis.

Sounds rational to me.

The purpose was to get the people health care. Moore went to Cuba for that reason. He was turned away from the American base and he was left with the alternative of Cuba. The movie would have turned out differently if Moore could have gotten the health care that the inmates receive. How is it propaganda when it's fact? The inmates in Cuba get better treatment that the 9/11 volunteers.

Or is any news reporting a propaganda gimick?

What Christian ministry took some people to Cuba for health care? I'm just curious on why I responded the way I'm going to for something I'm not familiar with. Please enlighten me. I figured since I'm for universal health care I could care less if a person gets it at a secular hospital or a religious one but you must know me better so give me that example with the Christian trip to Cuba.

BTW, Michael Moore is Catholic so it appears I really didn't have a problem with a Christian getting some Americans some health care.

 

Surely you aren't as dense as you appear. Do you think ANYBODY approaching  Gitmo unannounced on a boat would be received with anything less than a security detail carrying big guns? I could go there asking the military to supply pink flying ponies to all the orphans and they would turn me away just as quickly. It was pure theater. And pure theater is a tactic used by Christian televangilists all the time - because it WORKS. Moore's propaganda does nothing but further divide the country on one of the most critical issues it faces. Plus he gets people to lap up his vomit like it was chocolate mousse. No wonder he loves what he does.


The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
Posts: 78
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: You're

D-cubed wrote:
You're commenting on Moore being inaccurate and promoting propaganda based on a movie you've never seen. Go see the movie.


No, I'm commenting on Moore being inaccurate and promoting propaganda based on his previous work--I don't need to see "SiCKO" in order to make that determination. I have seen nothing from this film via advertising and reviews that would change that determination, and I have no intention of putting more money into his propaganda machine.

You've seen the movie:

Does Moore present a balanced look at socialized medicine by giving equal time to the thousands of people who have had to wait months for routine medical care, or those who have had relatives suffer and die due to lack of care under these systems?

Does Moore explain that "free health care" is not actually free, but must be heavily subsidized by taxpayers, and that despite claims to be a utopian social system, Canada has been forced to consider moving towards more privatization due to the overwhelming problems with the system, such as waiting lists and scarcity of doctors, nurses, and new advances in technology?.

Does Moore explain that the mortality rate among heart disease patients in Canada is 17% higher than in the US due to the fact under Canada's system, specialized cardiac treatments are only available in larger central hospitals, and subject to rejection by government stooges?

Does Moore present any semblance of a counter-argument that would lend any objective credibility to his film?

The Saint


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:   Surely

wavefreak wrote:
 

Surely you aren't as dense as you appear. Do you think ANYBODY approaching Gitmo unannounced on a boat would be received with anything less than a security detail carrying big guns? I could go there asking the military to supply pink flying ponies to all the orphans and they would turn me away just as quickly. It was pure theater. And pure theater is a tactic used by Christian televangilists all the time - because it WORKS. Moore's propaganda does nothing but further divide the country on one of the most critical issues it faces. Plus he gets people to lap up his vomit like it was chocolate mousse. No wonder he loves what he does.

Oh really, you base this on loads of experience or are you simply guessing?  I see you have nothing to add other than ad hominem so perhaps I'll try speaking with the adults about this subject. 


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: No, I'm

The_Saint wrote:

No, I'm commenting on Moore being inaccurate and promoting propaganda based on his previous work--I don't need to see "SiCKO" in order to make that determination. I have seen nothing from this film via advertising and reviews that would change that determination, and I have no intention of putting more money into his propaganda machine.


I take it you aren't one for sequels since you've seen the previous movie you've already concluded about the following one.  As usual  your argument isn't based on any reason just emotional diatribe which just makes you look foolish.

Quote:
You've seen the movie:

Quote:
Does Moore present a balanced look at socialized medicine by giving equal time to the thousands of people who have had to wait months for routine medical care, or those who have had relatives suffer and die due to lack of care under these systems?

This was addressed in the movie.  See, if you saw it you wouldn't have had to waste your time and mine.  Using your reasoning I won't have to read any more of your comments because I can conclude that you are always going to be wrong and base your arguments on ignorance. 

Quote:
Does Moore explain that "free health care" is not actually free, but must be heavily subsidized by taxpayers, and that despite claims to be a utopian social system, Canada has been forced to consider moving towards more privatization due to the overwhelming problems with the system, such as waiting lists and scarcity of doctors, nurses, and new advances in technology?.

Yeah, that was covered too.

Quote:
Does Moore explain that the mortality rate among heart disease patients in Canada is 17% higher than in the US due to the fact under Canada's system, specialized cardiac treatments are only available in larger central hospitals, and subject to rejection by government stooges?

Does Moore run through the figures of every potential health problem in every country?  No, that would be boring and a waste of time.  That's why he's the director and you sit at home commenting on movies you've never seen.

Quote:
Does Moore present any semblance of a counter-argument that would lend any objective credibility to his film?

Yes, that's addressed in the movie.  Hmm, perhaps you should have taken my earlier advice.  Somehow I don't think you'll end up watching it because you prefer to dwell in your ignorance since you clearly fear an education that may break you out of your self-centered existence.  Might I suggest you adopt a religion that encourages people to take care of their neighbors.  I think there was a guy named Jesus who was an advocate of healthcare.  But if you can't even take the time to watch a documentary then there is little hope for someone as lazy as yourself.


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
About the healthcare system

About the healthcare system in candia having long waits, I have long waits in america. I sometimes have to wait 1 to 2 weeks to see a doctor. a few months for a mri, i have to schedule about a month in advance for a psychrtist appointment. On some other things that require specialists i usually have a wait quite a while for those too.  So it doesn't sound to long of a wait in candia for me, just my opinon.


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: wavefreak

D-cubed wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

Surely you aren't as dense as you appear. Do you think ANYBODY approaching Gitmo unannounced on a boat would be received with anything less than a security detail carrying big guns? I could go there asking the military to supply pink flying ponies to all the orphans and they would turn me away just as quickly. It was pure theater. And pure theater is a tactic used by Christian televangilists all the time - because it WORKS. Moore's propaganda does nothing but further divide the country on one of the most critical issues it faces. Plus he gets people to lap up his vomit like it was chocolate mousse. No wonder he loves what he does.

Oh really, you base this on loads of experience or are you simply guessing? I see you have nothing to add other than ad hominem so perhaps I'll try speaking with the adults about this subject.

 

Moore is the same ilk as Rush Limbaugh. It's not ad hominem when it is actually true that Moore is an ass.

 

And your "speaking with the adults" dig cuts me.  

 

NOT. 


evil religion
evil religion's picture
Posts: 232
Joined: 2006-10-20
User is offlineOffline
I'm British. We have the

I'm British. We have the national health service over here. It is far from perfect but it works and its free fro all.

The NHS costs us £65 billion in taxes per year thats about £1100 ($2200) per man woman and child in the UK.
In the US $2Trillion a year is spent of health inssurence or $6,700 per person.
http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml

Proportionally you spend 2.5 times as much on health care. Infact proportionally you spend far more than any other nation. From what has been said it would seem that far from getting health care 2.5 times better than in the UK things are often actually worse in the USA. It fairly obvious why. The NHS is not interested in making a profit. Inssurence companies and private hospitals and doctors are.

The American system is simply very poor value for money. Infact its a complete and utter con. Totally inefficient. You spend 2.5 times what we do fro heavens sake!!! Wake up!! your being conned. The private sector is not always more efficient, it does not always give better value for money. Somethings need to be in the public domain - health care is most definitly one of them.


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:   Moore

wavefreak wrote:
 

Moore is the same ilk as Rush Limbaugh. It's not ad hominem when it is actually true that Moore is an ass.

 And your "speaking with the adults" dig cuts me.

 NOT.

Don't feed the troll. 


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote:

D-cubed wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

Moore is the same ilk as Rush Limbaugh. It's not ad hominem when it is actually true that Moore is an ass.

And your "speaking with the adults" dig cuts me.

NOT.

Don't feed the troll.

 

Sticks and stones buddy. Sticks and stones. At least my lapping up vomit like it was chocolate mousse had some flair.

 

Your ratioal VIP tag should be revoked. Micheal Moore's presentation is a massive appeal to emotion. Sort of like fundamentalist Christians. Micheal Moore conflates the facts that support his message and ignores the ones that don't. Sort of like fundamentalist creationists. Micheal Moore will invent things if nothing "real" exists if it supports his message. Sort of like Jesus freaks.

 

I think that the healthcare system is badly fucked up. But Mr Moore is not an avocate for anything but his ego. He turns my stomach as much as Benny Hinn.


littleb
Posts: 1
Joined: 2007-07-21
User is offlineOffline
I am a Canadian proud of my

I am a Canadian proud of my country in many ways. I agree with the previous post in regards to the immediacy of emergency care that is offered in our medical system. However, the quality of our care in other areas is quesionable. Our doctors and nurses are over worked and hurried. Many mistakes are happening in the care of their patients and in some cases lives are lost. Cost issues cause GP's to not issue proper tests and offer prescriptions without knowing certain the illness. Hospitals are full and patients are parked for days in hallways waiting for rooms to open up. And yes there are extensive waiting lists for necessary surgeries. My Father has lost his job because he is unable to work any longer due to back pain. he has been waiting 2 years for surgery. Our Medicare system may have some positive  points , but don't think we are with out our problems. My Father is trying to get the money together to go to the U.S. so he can get on with his life.


Tilberian
Moderator
Tilberian's picture
Posts: 1118
Joined: 2006-11-27
User is offlineOffline
I hear a lot of economic

I hear a lot of economic arguments from Americans in favour of free-market health care and I don't think they make sense. As I understand it, it is a basic assumption of economics that people can decline to purchase any product for any reason at any time. That is the whole idea behind a supply/demand graph - the area above the lines is the area where people are not purchasing. But you can't not purchase health care. The only ceiling on the amount you would be willing to spend to save your life is your net worth. Subjecting health care to market forces is, IMO, a mugging at scalpelpoint.

There are other things that don't work within an economic model. National defence. Parks. Welfare. I think health care belongs in that group. 

Nothing is perfect and neither is our Canadian health system. However it does protect us from the kind of horrific outcomes that Moore portrays in his film. We sacrifice some technology and service for care that is free at the point of purchase and that we are all 100% entitled to. No one in our system can deny us care, ever.

Also, the US media has overplayed the waiting list issue. If you have an immediate need for anything, you get it, period.  

 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown


Mendoza68
Posts: 1
Joined: 2007-05-15
User is offlineOffline
I live in Canada and the

I live in Canada and the healthcare system is terrible, long waiting and bad serrvice, health insurance isn't free here, you get taxed like crazy and it barely covers anything. Last year a puck split my eyebrow open all the way to the bone during a hockey game, I went to the clinic to get stitches asap and they told me they had too many sick peopel to deal with, they then told me to go to another medical center 30 minutes away. I ended up having to get my stitches done by an intern pharmacist.

I deny all the holy spirits.


Tilberian
Moderator
Tilberian's picture
Posts: 1118
Joined: 2006-11-27
User is offlineOffline
Mendoza68 wrote: I live in

Mendoza68 wrote:
I live in Canada and the healthcare system is terrible, long waiting and bad serrvice, health insurance isn't free here, you get taxed like crazy and it barely covers anything. Last year a puck split my eyebrow open all the way to the bone during a hockey game, I went to the clinic to get stitches asap and they told me they had too many sick peopel to deal with, they then told me to go to another medical center 30 minutes away. I ended up having to get my stitches done by an intern pharmacist.

I'm sorry, but posts like this from Canadians piss me off. Mendoza, did you even see Sicko? Do you have any idea what the alternative is to our publically funded system? Let me put it this way: if you were in the US and were one of the 40 million people without coverage, you would have been putting those stitches in yourself...just like the guy in the movie. Instead, you get taken care of with no money out of pocket, yet you want to come on here like a bitch and whine about not getting immediate attention for your little scratch. Fucking man up for god's sake.  You're like a guy that didn't get his coffee fast enough at Tim Hortons and wants to dismantle the entire free enterprise system.

If you ever get a real injury or health problem, you better get right back on here and post about how pathetically grateful you are  to all the rest of us Canadians who support the health system with our wallets and our words. It's people like you who give care and comfort to the rich bastards who are quite happy to buy private insurance, save on their tax bills and let the rest of us die in the gutters. 

BTW, it's entirely possible that even if you had private health care your claim for the stitches would have been denied because you were playing a "dangerous" sport. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown


Spirax
Posts: 16
Joined: 2007-05-09
User is offlineOffline
 We have a nationalised

 We have a nationalised health care system in Australia.   It seems to work well to me.  It's a 1.5% levy on taxable income with a tax rebate for private health insurance.  It's not without kinks, there's quite a wait for elective surgery in public hospitals.  But if you have private health insurance you get in almost immediately at a private hospital.  

When my son sustained a compound fracture of his arm  he recieved first class treatment at a public hospital and without charge.

For more information about how the Australian system works

try this website.   

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/17482.htm


Kylsport
Kylsport's picture
Posts: 5
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Socialized Healthcare

I think socialized healthcare is good for those who can't afford it.  However, I will continue with my work healthcare provider.  Can you imagine the shitty service you will receive being on socialized healthcare.


vexed
vexed's picture
Posts: 104
Joined: 2007-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Kylsport wrote: I think

Kylsport wrote:
I think socialized healthcare is good for those who can't afford it.  However, I will continue with my work healthcare provider.  Can you imagine the shitty service you will receive being on socialized healthcare.

Ya, being able to goto any doctor in the US at any time would definitely be shitty. Being taken care of until the doctors were sure you were fit to leave instead of when your insurance (or savings account) ran out would also be shitty. Having extremely affordable prescription drugs would also be shitty, I love giving out $80 for a Z-Pack. Paying less in taxes for health care than I would to my HMO provider would be shitty. Not having loop holes that lead to denial of insurance coverage would also be shitty.

Although Kylsport, you realize you rely on socialized institutions daily. Police, firefighters and the US Postal Service are all forms of socialized institutions, are they shitty too?

 Michael Moore is right, Americans are afraid of their government.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
It's funny to read

It's funny to read Americans on this forum rank on public health care when they haven't experienced for themselves the benefits, which incidentally override even the shorts falls of health care in Canada. An important fact must be noted: we do not have 'national' health care. What we have is the provinces and territories agreeing that they must offer a certain basic level of health care to all Canadian citizens. The health care system is within provincial authority, and some afford more to their citizens. It so happens that most of the Canadians on this forum live in the comparatively overpopulated province of Ontario. This necessarily skews what they think of the health care service. On that service, we may enjoy long emergency room waits, but remember Canadians are excessive hypochondriacs, going to emergency for a cough and sneeze or a cut eyebrow, instead of to a clinic. That we haven't got enough medical staff (just how many professional Canadians move to the US every year for jobs, for more money?) in some areas, that we sometimes operate under funded facilities are minor problems considering the alternative. I have used this health care system my entire life. I cannot imagine the expense in an American system for my lovely smile, for my cured infections, for the surgeries that have saved my hearing, my voice, or my life. I don't wish to imagine such expenses. I do not wish to imagine being made poor in order to live or to live comfortably, or as everyone else does. I'm sickened by the Canadians who have such serious problems with our health care. Perhaps they have never needed an annual visit to the optometrist, or the dentist, or a physician. Perhaps they have never needed pills they would die without, or pills they'd not function normally without. Perhaps they've never cut themselves or broken a limb, sprained a muscle, or fractured a bone. Perhaps they have lived without the necessity of health care, but if they ever have used it, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. As for Americans who think poorly of universal health care, shame on you for the things you let your government do and for the things you let your government not do. Shame for willingly committing those who simply can't afford health care to some life less than your own; to the possibility of death or poverty. I can see no want in a system that at least does not willingly commit people to death or poverty. How disgusting to argue against universal health care.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


pettman
Posts: 55
Joined: 2007-08-14
User is offlineOffline
Those of you who bitch about

Those of you who bitch about the poor quality of public healthcare, have you got any first hand experience of it? I've lived my entire life in a country with public healthcare (Sweden) and my personal experience of it is that it's well functioning.


zntneo
Superfan
Posts: 565
Joined: 2007-01-25
User is offlineOffline
I have to say that my

I have to say that my expereince with private insurance ,mind you nto as bad as some in the movie, is far from good.  most of the time i hear things from people who are against socialized healthcare are things we have problems with mostly private healthcare. For example, long waiting times to see specialists. I've waited months to see specailsts before. I've heard a few say that you will only be able to see a select few doctors, thats how private insurance is its called "in network".  So, i see most of the problems that they bring up as things that are happening in our system, whereas from what i've read and heard aren't as big of problem or are the same  in the socialized healthcare system.


ttonneyy (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
in hong kong...

You mentioned that in hong kong you get the mri in a few weeks, in canada you would have to wait a few months, but you dont finish the comparison.  Lets finish, ...and in the USA if you dont qualify for medicaide/medicaire and you are among the majority of working poor or middle-class, well unless you can afford your own insurance or pay for the procedure entirely out of pocket (thousands of dollars)....YOU GET NO MRI AT ALL.  Might not be so bad if it's just you or me, but what about if its your five year old child?    Gee, which is worse, immediate mri (hong kong), few months wait mri (canada) or no mri (USA)....if i am the parent in usa that cant afford anything for my child, the Canadian system that you call a comedy, would sure look good to me.....